Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Iron and Gold (Interest Check)

Gather ideas and brainstorm with other members, recruit players, make partner requests, or just check for interest in an idea you have. A great place to browse to see what is taking place or build new settings and worlds from scratch.

Moderators: Forge, Georgeanna

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Adventurer

Iron and Gold (Interest Check)

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 am

The Deserts of Valen
Space. The Final frontier. For Humanity, it was only the beginning of their journey. As they ventured into the vast emptiness of the Universe, they brought with them a determination to make sure they overcame and understood every obstacle in their path. The first obstacle was the process of colonizing new worlds. Humanity has only just conquered their Solar system, and their first out-of-system colonies are being established.

As they are so far from Sol however, it was inevitable that conflict would take root as it always had. Vast companies, Pirate groups and Military organizations soon formed, each having their own goals to seek out on these fresh colonies.

One of these was a vast desert world, once theorized to be a grand Ocean from the massive skeletons found buried in the Sand. Here, the birth of a new occupation would take place. Here, the Pilots would find their calling, and their legend begins.
------------

So, as I have been away for a while, I decided to get back into the swing of things with a brand new Roleplay! Due to me playing around with Armored Core and the new Daemon Machina looking mighty fun, this idea is based on that.

The basic Idea is that you are one of these new 'pilots', operating machines designed to quickly travel the vast deserts of Valen, the first Desert Colony. Mercenary work could be your calling, or you could work for any of the factions that stake their claim on the resources found here. The choice is yours.

Code: Select all

Character Name:
Appearance:
Specialization:
Faction:
Mecha Type:
Mecha Appearance:
Character Name - Simple enough, though try not to make names too long. If they are, include a nickname if possible.

Age- There is no limit to age, though do keep in mind that an Old man who can barely walk would need their Mecha to compensate for that fragility. Youth also means less experience generally.

Gender- Also simple, though you don't need to include this if you feel it is not needed.

Appearance - Pics or Descriptions will do here.

Specialization - Pilots are required to be skilled in many areas, though generally, a few specialize in a few skills. Choose either one skill you are especially good at or a couple you are above average in. (Range, Reaction time, Stability/mental strength, Engineering, Leadership)

Faction - Pilots can work on their own as Mercenaries, so this can be filled in as 'independent'. Otherwise, they can work for a variety of Factions. The list is included in the next Spoiler.

Mecha Type - There are a few types of Mecha currently available. Scout (High speed, low armor), Gunner (More weapons, lower speed), Knight (More armor, lower speed), and Support (More unique equipment, lower combat ability overall). These are not set in stone, and can even branch off into more specialized areas.

Mecha Appearance - As it says on the tin, detail your Mecha's appearance with words or a picture. Keep in mind that Mecha need to move at high speeds via flight or other means, otherwise it might as well be useless on the desert sands.
Here are a list of Factions taking part in the Colonization of Valen:
  • United Nations Colony Command (UNCC): The government arm dedicated to managing the colonization and management of new worlds outside the Sol system. Until recently, they were rather in control of the situation, but the piracy problem, as well as Corporations butting in, has weakened their power. Still, they are rather formidable and generally reward Pilots with a decent amount of money and heavily regulated but safe gear.
  • The Pirates of Valen: While not unified in the slightest, the Pirates of Valen have developed many unlicensed settlements outside of UNCC controlled lands, and often raid the smaller settlements the UNCC controls for loot, money, and just a lust for violence. As there is no central power behind them, a UNCC coordinated assault usually routs them, though they just appear elsewhere in defiance. As a Pirate Pilot, you will be wanted by the UNCC and the Corporations you happen to annoy, though the reward usually is vast amounts of money and loot from your conquests. Rewards vary between Pirate nests, however, and the black market is very limited and not very reliable for new gear.
  • Royal Crown Industries (RC): One of the first megacorporations to expand their profits into the new expansions into the Solar system, Royal Crown is a rather well off company with some influence in the UNCC. However, the UNCC also happens to regulate RC as much as they can get away with, with the two often butting heads in politics. With the new expansions outside the Solar System, Royal Crown uses their vast wealth to send their own establishments onto Valen and others, seeking to exploit the vast amounts of oil and other undiscovered materials detected on the planet. Working for them is sure to earn you vast contracts and money, though their gear is more expensive and they often don't inform you of certain details. Their gear is mostly safe, but as RC seeks to work around regulations by UNCC often, they can come with some nasty surprises for a reckless Pilot.
For now, a few players is all I really am looking for, as I want to get used to the site again. Hope you like it!

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Rogue

Re: Iron and Gold (Interest Check)

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:45 am

Depends. Could my Mecha be something like this?
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=3932

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 am

If it is capable of going Armored Core speeds, then it would do just fine. This is a Desert Planet after all...going that fast removes the need for navigating sand stretching the horizon.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:20 am

I'm interested, I'm going to need to get a screen shot from Last Raven, though ...

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:40 am

Noted Ninmast!

Also, I'll include this in the OOC later, but you are all basically the first generation of Pilots. You'll be setting the standard of how Pilots are viewed and respected for Humanity.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:23 am

DaughteroftheFlame wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 am
If it is capable of going Armored Core speeds, then it would do just fine. This is a Desert Planet after all...going that fast removes the need for navigating sand stretching the horizon.
Is this just similar to Armored Core, or should I start reading up on the game?

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am

ColeslawEnthusiast wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:23 am
Is this just similar to Armored Core, or should I start reading up on the game?
Just similar really, you don't need to know the game to have fun here. I'm taking inspiration from it as well as other games, but keep in mind that high-speed mech on mech combat will be featured at least in part.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:35 am

Character Name: David Connor

Appearance:
Specialization: Engineering

Faction: Independent (Formerly UNCC and still his preferred contractor)

Mecha Type: Technically classified as a Scout, the Lionheart is heavily modified by its pilot, favoring enough flexibility to be prepared for any encounter and dangerous at any range, supported by upgraded scanners to supply the greatest power of all, knowledge. It sports a beam rifle for mid to long range engagements, an energy sword for close range combat, a shoulder-mounted plasma cannon for heavy fire and a shield for added defense. The focus on beam weaponry keeps the diverse loadout surprisingly light, keeping the Lionheart quick and nimble whether in the air or on its feet, especially with its additional overboost thrusters.

Mecha Appearance:
Last edited by Ninmast on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:35 am

Grabbed my image from DxM instead, turned out to just be easier, even if its appearance isn't exactly what I wanted.

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:51 am

Ninmast wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:35 am
Grabbed my image from DxM instead, turned out to just be easier, even if its appearance isn't exactly what I wanted.
Looks good to me Ninmast! I might be making NPCs later on in the game, so this is a good start. What game is that from by the way? I don't think I have played it myself from a glance.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Daemon X Machina. If you like Armored Core, you'd like it. It's done by the exact same people and artists and is essentially the same game, different setting.

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Ninmast wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:27 pm
Daemon X Machina. If you like Armored Core, you'd like it. It's done by the exact same people and artists and is essentially the same game, different setting.
I'll try it when I can. Probably will add that to the references this RP will have.

The tech level does allow for shields, but they are energy-intensive in comparison to just using a metal shield.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Not to worry, the shield is literally a physical heavy shield.

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Ninmast wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Not to worry, the shield is literally a physical heavy shield.
Oh good, I was worried for a second. That should be just fine then. I'll at least either wait for a few more new players or just a few more days before I make an OOC.

Darkblade
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Post by Darkblade » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:24 am

I may make a character, doodling the mecha will likely take some time as I'll have to do some research into AC's mecha style.. aka a headache.

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:20 am

Darkblade wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:24 am
I may make a character, doodling the mecha will likely take some time as I'll have to do some research into AC's mecha style.. aka a headache.
Oh well that's fine! Take your time, this game won't be going too quickly.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:21 am

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 am
The Deserts of Valen
Space. The Final frontier. For Humanity, it was only the beginning of their journey. As they ventured into the vast emptiness of the Universe, they brought with them a determination to make sure they overcame and understood every obstacle in their path. The first obstacle was the process of colonizing new worlds. Humanity has only just conquered their Solar system, and their first out-of-system colonies are being established.

As they are so far from Sol however, it was inevitable that conflict would take root as it always had. Vast companies, Pirate groups and Military organizations soon formed, each having their own goals to seek out on these fresh colonies.

One of these was a vast desert world, once theorized to be a grand Ocean from the massive skeletons found buried in the Sand. Here, the birth of a new occupation would take place. Here, the Pilots would find their calling, and their legend begins.
------------

So, as I have been away for a while, I decided to get back into the swing of things with a brand new Roleplay! Due to me playing around with Armored Core and the new Daemon Machina looking mighty fun, this idea is based on that.

The basic Idea is that you are one of these new 'pilots', operating machines designed to quickly travel the vast deserts of Valen, the first Desert Colony. Mercenary work could be your calling, or you could work for any of the factions that stake their claim on the resources found here. The choice is yours.

Code: Select all

Character Name:
Appearance:
Specialization:
Faction:
Mecha Type:
Mecha Appearance:
Character Name - Simple enough, though try not to make names too long. If they are, include a nickname if possible.

Age- There is no limit to age, though do keep in mind that an Old man who can barely walk would need their Mecha to compensate for that fragility. Youth also means less experience generally.

Gender- Also simple, though you don't need to include this if you feel it is not needed.

Appearance - Pics or Descriptions will do here.

Specialization - Pilots are required to be skilled in many areas, though generally, a few specialize in a few skills. Choose either one skill you are especially good at or a couple you are above average in. (Range, Reaction time, Stability/mental strength, Engineering, Leadership)

Faction - Pilots can work on their own as Mercenaries, so this can be filled in as 'independent'. Otherwise, they can work for a variety of Factions. The list is included in the next Spoiler.

Mecha Type - There are a few types of Mecha currently available. Scout (High speed, low armor), Gunner (More weapons, lower speed), Knight (More armor, lower speed), and Support (More unique equipment, lower combat ability overall). These are not set in stone, and can even branch off into more specialized areas.

Mecha Appearance - As it says on the tin, detail your Mecha's appearance with words or a picture. Keep in mind that Mecha need to move at high speeds via flight or other means, otherwise it might as well be useless on the desert sands.
Here are a list of Factions taking part in the Colonization of Valen:
  • United Nations Colony Command (UNCC): The government arm dedicated to managing the colonization and management of new worlds outside the Sol system. Until recently, they were rather in control of the situation, but the piracy problem, as well as Corporations butting in, has weakened their power. Still, they are rather formidable and generally reward Pilots with a decent amount of money and heavily regulated but safe gear.
  • The Pirates of Valen: While not unified in the slightest, the Pirates of Valen have developed many unlicensed settlements outside of UNCC controlled lands, and often raid the smaller settlements the UNCC controls for loot, money, and just a lust for violence. As there is no central power behind them, a UNCC coordinated assault usually routs them, though they just appear elsewhere in defiance. As a Pirate Pilot, you will be wanted by the UNCC and the Corporations you happen to annoy, though the reward usually is vast amounts of money and loot from your conquests. Rewards vary between Pirate nests, however, and the black market is very limited and not very reliable for new gear.
  • Royal Crown Industries (RC): One of the first megacorporations to expand their profits into the new expansions into the Solar system, Royal Crown is a rather well off company with some influence in the UNCC. However, the UNCC also happens to regulate RC as much as they can get away with, with the two often butting heads in politics. With the new expansions outside the Solar System, Royal Crown uses their vast wealth to send their own establishments onto Valen and others, seeking to exploit the vast amounts of oil and other undiscovered materials detected on the planet. Working for them is sure to earn you vast contracts and money, though their gear is more expensive and they often don't inform you of certain details. Their gear is mostly safe, but as RC seeks to work around regulations by UNCC often, they can come with some nasty surprises for a reckless Pilot.
For now, a few players is all I really am looking for, as I want to get used to the site again. Hope you like it!
Oi, is the Pilot meant to be active in combat, are we leaning more toward Titanfall or Gundam?

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:26 am

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:21 am
Oi, is the Pilot meant to be active in combat, are we leaning more toward Titanfall or Gundam?
Really, you are all the first Generation of Pilots. So you set the standard for how Mech v Mech combat will be. Could be Titanfall, could be Gundam. It could be both.

Really up to how you handle the bounties, quests, and events set by the factions as they battle over Valen.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 am

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:26 am
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:21 am
Really, you are all the first Generation of Pilots. So you set the standard for how Mech v Mech combat will be. Could be Titanfall, could be Gundam. It could be both.

Really up to how you handle the bounties, quests, and events set by the factions as they battle over Valen.
Alrighty, just wanna know the expectations before I go off and make a useless character.

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:10 am

I'll be the judge of that, don't you worry.