Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Avalon: Modern Magics

Gather ideas and brainstorm with other members, recruit players, make partner requests, or just check for interest in an idea you have. A great place to browse to see what is taking place or build new settings and worlds from scratch.

Moderators: Forge, Georgeanna

DoubleJ333
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Mage

Avalon: Modern Magics

Post by DoubleJ333 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:53 am

Welcome to Avalon, a magical city in a modern world! A world with current technology, guns, cars, the works! But, there is also magic!
Magic comes in two forms in this world, Inherent, and Gifted.
Inherent magic is the normal magic that an average person would have! It creates things, enhances things, and can be taught!
Gifted magic is much more powerful, and much more rare. Given at birth by a powerful spiritual entity, it is unwieldy and impossible to truly control.
But one, and only one, has both types of magic.
The Seer of Avalon.

Alright, so enough fancy wording, this is a world with the technology level you are familiar with in real life, but also includes a wide variety of magic! And, to keep a proper ratio, I want to make sure you know that I will be very strict when approving gifted magic users. They are supposed to be INCREDIBLY rare, so yeah. Not everybody can be one. So let me know if you guys are interested!!!

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Re: Avalon: Modern Magics

Post by Ninmast » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:34 am

What kind of plot are we expecting? Or is this going to be sandbox?

DoubleJ333
Scrub
Scrub

Post by DoubleJ333 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 am

Ninmast wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:34 am
What kind of plot are we expecting? Or is this going to be sandbox?
Oh God, how to explain quickly... there was a war at one point between the government and this large organization. This organization won. The organization forces all children to receive a magic aptitude test. Any considered “too powerful” disappear, and useful ones are forcibly “volunteered” to aid in the interests of the company. It’s more in depth than that, but there is the basic gist.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Rogue

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:32 am

I like this idea. Count me in.

DoubleJ333
Scrub
Scrub

Post by DoubleJ333 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 am

ColeslawEnthusiast wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:32 am
I like this idea. Count me in.
Thanks! If you have any questions, let me know! If you need, I’m willing to show what a character sheet will look like, or other info like that!

ColeslawEnthusiast
Scrub
Scrub

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:54 am

Yes, I would like a character sheet, and my one question is what kind of occupations will the storyline support? Could we shoehorn a gun-for-hire/contract killer in there somewhere?

DoubleJ333
Scrub
Scrub

Post by DoubleJ333 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 am

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:54 am
Yes, I would like a character sheet, and my one question is what kind of occupations will the storyline support? Could we shoehorn a gun-for-hire/contract killer in there somewhere?
I’ll type up a sheet this afternoon, I’m in school atm. But there will be plenty of roles and occupations available, including that! The organization is hunting down the seer, my character, so an easy way to be a contract killer would be to work for the organization, hunting me down. Of course, there are other ways to make it work. Really, I want to try to make it work as much as possible for everyone!

ColeslawEnthusiast
Scrub
Scrub

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:06 am

That sounds awesome. Perhaps at some point in the story my character decides he'll grow a set of morals, too.

DoubleJ333
Scrub
Scrub

Post by DoubleJ333 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:54 am

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:06 am
That sounds awesome. Perhaps at some point in the story my character decides he'll grow a set of morals, too.
Sounds great! And here is that Character Sheet I promised!

Name:
Magic, Yes or No?:
If so, Gifted or Inherent?:
Describe your magical ability:
Physical description:
Race: (I’ll accept most humanoid races, just don’t get excessive.)
Equipment/skills worthy of note:
Background: (this can be left mostly blank, I’ll let you know if I need more.)

ColeslawEnthusiast
Scrub
Scrub

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:32 am

Name: Corvan Blaska
Magic, Yes or No?: Yes
If so, Gifted or Inherent?: Inherent
Describe your magical ability: The ability to go invisible, and create knives out of thin air. (Not like Hela from Thor, but like Loki, more like. Also this ability can be taken away for plot reasons.)
Physical description: Tall, thin, cleanly cut man. Tends to wear an all black Armani suit, with hidden holster in the top. Bandana added for when identity concealment is needed.
Race: Human (Caucasian)
Equipment/skills worthy of note: Suppressed M45A1. Skilled at throwing knives and other bladed weapons. Impeccable accuracy with long rifles.
Background: Veteran of the (govt vs organization) wars. After returning to normal life, he found he had no purpose. He took to killing for money. He learned invisibility magic, and got to work. He's known to the public simply as "Unknown Assailant". Every target he's been sent after has perished.
Last edited by ColeslawEnthusiast on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

DoubleJ333
Scrub
Scrub

Post by DoubleJ333 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:05 am

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:32 am
Name: Corvan Blaska
Magic, Yes or No?: Yes
If so, Gifted or Inherent?: Gifted
Describe your magical ability: The ability to go invisible, and create knives out of thin air. (Not like Hela from Thor, but like Loki, more like. Also this ability can be taken away for plot reasons.)
Physical description: Tall, thin, cleanly cut man. Tends to wear an all black Armani suit, with hidden holster in the top. Bandana added for when identity concealment is needed.
Race: Human
Equipment/skills worthy of note: Suppressed M45A1.
Background: Veteran of the (govt vs organization) wars. After returning to normal life, he found he had no purpose. He took to killing for money. He learned invisibility magic, and got to work. He's known to the public simply as "Unknown Assailant". Every target he's been sent after has perished.
Okay, so it looks pretty good. The only thing I need changed is that if his magic is Gifted, he couldn’t have learned it, he would have to be born with it. I think you might want to write inherent magic. If you do want to instead choose inherent, you would need to give a name to the being whose power you possess, and honestly, it would probably be a more powerful power. Other than that, minor thing, it looks like something I’d approve!

ColeslawEnthusiast
Scrub
Scrub

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:04 am

Oh, sorry. I thought inherent meant you were born with it, being inherent and all. I'll edit.

DoubleJ333
Scrub
Scrub

Post by DoubleJ333 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:58 am

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:04 am
Oh, sorry. I thought inherent meant you were born with it, being inherent and all. I'll edit.
Looks good! When I start this up, I’d like you to submit it on that as well, but consider this a sort of pre-approval!

ColeslawEnthusiast
Scrub
Scrub

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:31 am

Sounds good. Now, we wait for like, anyone else to be interested.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Scrub
Scrub

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:30 am

Starting to think people are more interested in MxF GoT erotic roleplay than Avalon.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Scrub
Scrub

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:33 am

Also, just made a small change to my character sheet. Let me know if it needs tweaking.