Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

The Will Reading of William Lance Wethers, Jr. [OOC]

Moderator: Georgeanna

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

The Will Reading of William Lance Wethers, Jr. [OOC]

Post by BrookeDi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:54 am

On May 22, 2009, the obituary of William Lance Wethers, Jr., American business magnate, investor, and philanthropist, was posted in the New York Times. Chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway (a multinational conglomerate holding company acting as a parent company of Geico, Dairy Queen, Lubrizol, Fruit of the Loom, Helzberg Diamonds, Long & Foster, Pampered Chef, and NetJets among many others), William was, at the time of his death, considered to be the second wealthiest man in the world.

His obituary details the family he left behind (one sibling, his only daughter, Amelia Wethers, a niece/nephew, and an ex-Spouse). It details his long history of giving to charity, supporting political candidates, and all-around being a fantastic businessman. It is estimated that at the time of his death, William was worth $87.5 billion.

Three days after the posting of his obituary, on the day of his funeral, the letters go out. Each of you has received such a letter. They are all handwritten and signed by William himself.

If you are reading this, then my time on this earth has passed. At some point, I have made promises to you regarding the future of my estate. My attorney, Craig Garrison, will be hosting a will reading at my ranch (details should be included); you are invited to stay for the weekend and hear the distribution of my estate.

Included in the letter are instructions from William's attorney. They give you the address to William's ranch, located in Bulverde, Texas. You are to arrive on Friday afternoon, no later than 3 pm and have been invited to stay for the weekend; accommodations have already been made for your stay.

Whatever your feelings toward the deceased, you plan on attending. It may be an odd request, but at some point, William has made promises to each of you regarding his will. Not to mention, the ranch is beautiful, and who wouldn't want an all-expense weekend away?

--------
So, there's the general premise of the story. I've given each of you some details regarding your character, including a motive and an alibi for the murder that will take place during your stay on Wether Ranch. Each of you has something (or believe you have something) to gain from the death of Amelia Wethers.

Some of this information may, or may not, come out during the RP. Up to y'all to figure out characters motives and alibis. I will neither confirm, nor deny, any information a character gives you. However, if your character has a reasonable suspicion that another character is lying, I may be able to give you some information to confirm or deny your suspicions that your character may know/discover. I'm still working that bit out.

This will probably require some communication with me in terms of looking for clues and stuff. Say your character is going to explore William's office, and you want to know what you'll find in there; I'll give you some information, which may or may not be useful, and we can discuss other options for your character to discover depending on your ideas.

My goal is to keep this moving, so that we can reach the end as this is not meant to be a long-term RP. As such, I'll be posting when things need a bit of a push. I will for sure be posting at least once a week (we can adjust if this is not often enough or too often), to move things along, particularly if scenes start to drag a bit.

I'm all for joint posts or coordinating with another player if you need to figure out some dialogue.

I'll be playing the lawyer and the murder victim to help nudge some things along as well. If we end up with all 6 players, then I'll let that player know if they are playing the killer. If we stick with just four, then I'll probably keep that information from the player as well. We'll see.

At any rate, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions about how this should work, I'd love to hear them. Some of this may require a bit of tweaking as we move forward, so hopefully, you're all willing to bear with me.

Now, onto the fun bit... character sheets! I've always gone for simplistic, so give me:

Name
Relationship to William (i.e. what character part did you choose)
Appearance
Occupation (if applicable)/
Other: Provide any information you think would be relevant. Generally twitchy nature? Publicly slandered the deceased in a news article? Reads a lot of murder mysteries and has incredible insight into the human sole? Any special skills (relevant or not), etc.
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you."
- Maya Angelou

Ruler_of_Wolves
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Werebeast

Re: The Will Reading of William Lance Wethers, Jr. [OOC]

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am

Name: Ian Miller
Relationship to William: Butler
Appearance: Ian is the slightly above average height of 6’1. His hair is a curly deep brown, that brings out his light blue eyes. He has supple lips and a medium sized forehead and brow. A square jawline and a slightly crooked nose make up the rest of his distinguishing facial features. His body is slim and willowy, with long awkward limbs.
Other: Makes a nice cup of tea, and delicious scones (or coffee and muffins depending on what you’re into).
"What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool at all. I mean, I had a mullet and wore parachute pants for a long, long time, and I'm doin' okay."

-Ellen DeGeneres

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:51 pm

Name Jillian Stevens
Age 26
Relationship to William Niece
Appearance For being a woman of medium build and average height, Jillian makes for an intimidating person. Perfectly manicured nails, a precisely trimmed bob of auburn hair, and dramatic makeup make a bold first impression. Her expression is usually largely bored, and her pouty lips turn down in a slight frown when at rest. It is clear she takes great pride in her physicality, her muscles tone in a lean way. A small diamond stud adorns her nose and compliments the silver hoops she always wears.
Occupation None. She is married to Thomas Stevens, a wealthy doctor, who supports the two.
Other Jillian has a serious gambling problem, but she wins more than she loses. Poker is her strong suit.

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Name: Mark Stone
Relationship to William: Neighbor
Appearance: Coarse black hair, but crossed close to his head, with a deep and heavy farmer's tan that has aged his face beyond his years by a fair margin making him seem forty. His face is clean shaven and his teeth clean and bright, he wears a flannel shirt with rolled sleeves to the elbow, and a grey t-shirt underneath. He has baby blue eyes and a subtle southern smile, wearing blue jeans with a non-descript belt and old cowboy boots worn down and softened with age and use as a rancher. He's well built for a man of his age having to wrastle cattle every day, making him fairly healthy looking and well seasoned, strong and capable but slim from a healthy diet and a lack of dealing with others to wear him down with stress.
Other: Mark Stone has no presence in the outside world, no social media and no known relatives, he's like a ghost almost. The only people who knew anything about him were William Wethers and his employees, all of whom live on his property and don't interact much with others either.
Credit to Sammy and Nicodemus; one created my set for me, the other drew the source image as a request.
Thank You Both!

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Adventurer

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:55 am

Name Wesley Benjamin Wethers
Age 48
Relationship to William Brother
Appearance Wesley has a face made for television; from the good jawline, to the auburn hair dyed to match the luster it once held in his youth to the fake over-the-top smile he sports when greeting people. Standing at six-foot-two and having taken care of himself fairly well in the last several years he is in good condition for a man his age and sports an understated but expensively tailored wardrobe when he is able, taking great pride in the way he presents himself to the world at large.
Occupation Television actor, currently between parts... and has been for a good two years now.
Other Just got his thirty-day chip after his most recent relapse into alcoholism. Was co-lead in a police procedural for two seasons some years ago.
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

Ruler_of_Wolves
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Name: Gretchen Steelman
Relationship to William: Charity Owner.
Appearance: Gretchen stands at 5’2 on a good day, and 5’1 and a half inch on every other day. She has long brown/gray hair that hangs down to the small of her back. Her round face has a slightly weathered look to it, and has deep laugh lines. Gretchen’s eyes are a light blue, and her nose is slightly upturned. Her body is on the round side.
Other: Gretchen is a fast reader and stays in shape by walking at least 5 miles per day.
"What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool at all. I mean, I had a mullet and wore parachute pants for a long, long time, and I'm doin' okay."

-Ellen DeGeneres

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:56 am

Name: Erin Wethers

Relationship to William: Ex Spouse

Appearance: Tall and pale, with a smattering of pale freckles down her arms and across her face, Erin is a petite woman with a ballerina’s build. She keeps her auburn hair up in a neat, albeit severe, bun. She never fails to wear a trim and well fitted suit jacket with a nice blouse and a pencil skirt. Looks are everything, but this is a professional appearance she is striving for—a chance to be taken seriously.

Occupation (if applicable): Professor of forensics

Other: Has been an expert witness for many criminal cases, including murder, domestic violence, and assault and battery.

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 am

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=3925 In character post!
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you."
- Maya Angelou