Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Blades in the Mist (Naruto RP IC)

The realms where science and sorcery tend to exist in equal focus. This may also includes settings with only a few major differences from our world such as the existence of the supernatural. Examples: The Marvel Universe, Vampire the Masquerade, Supernatural (Series)

Moderators: Darkblade, Georgeanna

Darkblade
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Blades in the Mist (Naruto RP IC)

Post by Darkblade » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:19 am

Kirigakure academy, it had seen a lot of modernisation, like the entire village. Sparing pools were just the tip of the iceberg of what it meant to learn there, but frankly he felt rather relieved that for the moment he was unlikely to be setting foot into the place for a long time. For today he was going to become a genin, and begin his journey in the world of ninja. He was a bit disappointed the tests weren’t much of a challenge, but then gone were the day’s of the bloody mist so he wasn’t expected to murder a classmate just to pass. Though if he was honest, that wouldn’t have been much of a challenge either. Even amongst those that did pass, there were some he’d have sworn would’ve buckled at the written portions let alone the more physical displays of their prowess. But if anything that was a good thing, ninja were more than just killing machines after all. Expected to do many types of missions, he’d heard that the leaf even had their genin do manual labour for farmers. The Mist didn’t go as far, well at least he hoped they didn’t, as he wasn’t cut out for herding goats.

There were murmurs as a figure approach them, the hat gave away their station immediately. The kanji for water emblazoned on the front, the Mizukage, he certainly seemed to be a bit more happy today. Though it was likely the easiest part of their office, talking to the new genin didn’t really weigh on the shoulders. He straighten up, after all the Kage did require a certain amount of respect even from kids. Noting in passing that there were more eyes watching this than were readily apparent, a Kage never went anywhere without protection, overt and cover. One of the overt ones was wearing the mask of the hunter-nin, odd, but then they were a branch of the anbu so maybe they were filling in for another who was unable to turn up. Or any number of reasons that didn’t concern the soon to be new genin, even if he was likely to puzzle the meaning behind it anyway.

“Each of you gathered today have studied long and hard to stand where you are, and the village applauds your efforts. In time you shall embark on missions for the village, all vital to the prosperity we enjoy. So understand that no matter how menial a task may seem, your efforts shall be what determines our village’s standing in the world. So undertake them to the fullest of your ability, for a blade held with conviction cuts deeper than one in indolent hands.”

So he was getting right to the point, that as genin they’d not be going off and having the sort of adventures they all likely dreamed of having. Even himself, one did not dream of becoming one of the seven swordsmen of the mist and not have visions of grander missions than likely lay ahead of them. Walk before running, that was the way of wisdom, even if it was going to be dull.

“However, that is later. Now is the time for congratulations and celebrations, you’ve each done your village and family’s proud. Each of you shall bare the rank of Genin from this day forward, and be allowed the honour of bearing the village’s mark. When your name is called, come forward.”

The bestowing of the traditional headguard, well more a band with a metal plate on it. Not everyone wore it on their head, but it was pretty rare for a ninja not to wear one at all. They typically were either a kage, or so famous that everyone already knew which village they belonged to. Well those were the ones that people talked about, the other bunch, well that was why hunter-nin existed. He watched as others moved up to the Kage to receive their headguard, noting that some got louder cheers than others. Joys of a ninja village, not everyone’s parents could attend every event. Some had no parents at all, but there were plenty of neutrals to ensure they didn’t stand out too badly.

“Nori Mamako!”

It was his time, and boy did that suck the energy out of the onlookers. Even among the Namako clansmen who had come along, it wasn’t exactly enthusiastic clapping. His mother made up for that, father wasn’t there. So another mission coming in the middle of the night, that must be very inconvenient for his parents. Well might as well get it over with, seeing as the longer he took to receive his headguard the longer the adults could mutter. Noting the attempts at covert readiness, the Mizukage and oddly the Hunter-nin weren’t so affected. If she wasn’t obviously female, he’d have thought them his father. If anything the more startling thing was being called by his actual given name, most people called him Rukiri to the point that it might as well be his name. Red and mist slapped together, so painfully obvious and so unimaginative. At least give him a cool moniker like the “second coming of the demon” or even just “The demon of the hidden mist”, both of which had been used by ninja of the past and related to the seven swords. For someone of his ambitions that would be so much better than just a colour and mist, sheesh his mist form wasn’t even red.

“You honour your word, and do yourself honour in return Nori. I too honour my word, and as such I welcome your service. Genin of the Hidden Mist.”

Mizukage made a point of using his given name again, probably the only one who ever did. Even his parents used Rukiri on occasion if only to turn it from an insult to a nickname. Not like having a bunch of classmates unknowingly use it constantly didn’t already do that, but parents do such weird things to protect their children, even if it wasn’t necessary. He did exactly what he set out to do, and was now going to prove to those the still doubted that they were mistaken to mistrust him. Foolish notions of generations past, if the Yuki clan can overcome the bias against kekkei genkai and rise again, he certainly can prove himself a ninja worthy of respect. Taking the headguard, he smirked even beneath the bandages, step one was complete.

“Kana, I welcome your service. Genin of the Hidden Mist.”

He noted that the konoichi after him did not get the exact same lines, as it referenced the vows he made in order to attend. Well more to placate the doubters, the Mizukage had no qualms about it nor had his predecessor. But those vows were best kept secret, along with why the adults called him Rukiri. It would’ve only complicated the relations he’d have had with his classmates, and he was more than able to complicate those all on his own. People just don’t like losing, and his perfect streak in the sparring pools was more than enough to get an ugly look or two. What did they expect? He pretty much was a kenjutsu nerd, and a prodigy of Iado, even if he never bothered to actually form techniques around them. He wrapped his own headguard around his waist, it would make a cool belt, seeing as he of all genin didn’t really need head protection.

“You grow up so fast, now a genin. It was only yesterday, when I was holding you in my arms.”

Mother was a sentimentalist, and loved to embarrass with such words. He acted suitable annoyed, she’d probably be disappointed if he didn’t. Even if such outward signs of her affection weren’t as problematic to him as he let on, they reminded him there were some out there who didn’t think he was the boogieman for a start. Kept him from feeling too sorry for himself, not that he really did that, towering self confidence came with the weird abilities apparently.

“I’ll be Kage by next week then, or maybe the week after if I take it easy.”

He noted slight hardening of eyes of a clansman, seemed he didn’t like the notion of Nori being a kage. Well shame it wasn’t his decision to make then, might even go after it to spite the git. Though he’d probably be a terrible kage, he was after all only thirteen. Hardly time to develop the wisdom needed to guide oneself, let alone others. So he’ll settle for being good enough to be deemed worthy of wielding one of the seven, loftier ambitions could weight till he was suitably aged. So next month, by mother’s reckoning.

“Now, now, can’t have that. Maybe after I become Kage you may be allowed to, not having my own child beat me to the punch.”

She didn’t have such ambitions, her life was pretty much exactly what she wanted. Well maybe bar the whole child becomes mist when you try playing catch the baby. Rukiri knew his mother well enough to understand she basically had all she had hoped for, though he doubted she’d turn an offer down. Not like it was likely to be offered, though now she was basically free to resume ninja duties. Going to be weird all three of them being able to be on missions, how many nights would it be just one of them at home? Or even none of them? The last of the new genin had received their headguards, Mizukage seemed happy enough.

“In your classroom, there is a board. I’m sure you’ve all had to copy something down from it after all this time, today though you shall see that on it is your assigned teams. Your team leaders will be along shortly, try not to get on their bad sides on your first day. Best of luck on your first true steps on your ninja path.”

He gave a self indulgent chuckle, it would seem he had other business in the school as well. For rather than returning the way he came onto the stage, he went into the school’s main entrance.

“Well off you go, I’ll go get something nice for dinner. Hopefully you get an instructor who knows how to tell the time, as it would terrible if you came back to cold food.”

“If not, I’ll be sure to introduce you to them.”

He certainly wasn’t going to take the blame if he was late home, especially as it would be his food that would be cold. He didn’t really think too hard on how his body dealt with food, as it would give him a headache. But he certainly enjoyed eating food, so let the how slide. Considering how many headaches he had gotten puzzling just how it did the same things other’s did, without the whole being required to be in one piece all the time. She gave him a kiss on the cheek, which actually did embarrass him as while he could deal with hugs, kisses just felt weird to get from one’s mother now they were a genin.

“Be nice to your teammates, and they’ll have your back.”

Like he needed that bit of advice, but it wasn’t like he went out of his way to be contrary to people anyway. He did the work expected, and if people didn’t like that he could do it better than them, that was their problem. People could do things he couldn’t, though he was pretty sure he could if he felt inclined to try. But then he enjoyed the things he could do more, so he’d leave them to their nichés. Not his fault that the village as a whole happened to dedicate a lot of the praise for one of the things he liked most, kenjutsu. Even if you were never going to use a sword ever, they still taught everyone the basics of kenjutsu and graded people accordingly. There was likely a couple of those who failed the exam who flunked cause they had no aptitude for it, nor a desire to focus on it. Some of those that had techniques that wouldn’t work well with certain aspects of the test tended to get a pass on them, clone jutsu was one he got a pass on. No point learning it, his mist clone was already superior and it was still being perfected. So a couple of the people who passed likely had their kenjutsu scores modified, though they still had to do the test. Seeing as it required a sparring session with a teacher, and again he likely didn’t make a friend. Showing up a teacher cause you can hit them but they can’t hit you is probably terribly impolite, but he wanted to pass the exam.

The classroom was dull enough, it seemed the way of things. To suck all the joy out of learning, that was the requirement of the room. At least that’s what the designer apparently heard, cause the grey walls, rows of identical desks, no colour, just diagrams of various aspects of jutsu which they somehow made look boring. He plopped himself at his old desk, he only needed a glance at the board to glean what he needed. When everyone calls you by a nickname, it’s not hard to spot it amongst normal names. Hiroki and Haruka, well they certainly had a diverse team. A guy from a founding thus famous clan, the most likely to become a crazy old cat lady, and himself. His mist state was likely to end up being revealed, but he’d wait for instruction as to whether or not he ought to be the one to clue them in. Mizukage wouldn’t like it if he went around blabbing something he told the adults to keep to themselves. Though there was a more interesting piece of information, their Jonin, it was blank. So that hadn’t been decided, though the other teams had been assigned, luckily nobody got his mother as that would’ve been awkward. Though if their team was blank, there was a possibility she wasn’t off getting dinner but talking to the Mizukage about the position. That would not do at all, the headaches he’d get having his own mother as their instructor would likely drive him up the wall.

-----

“Are you sure?”

The hunter-nin now in an office with the Mizukage, it was nice of the chief instructor to not attempt listening in. It was also worth his head had he attempted to do so, they might all be ninja but that doesn’t mean you spy on your own without instruction.

“Yes, I feel you’ve spent long enough behind that mask. I left the position open, as I wouldn’t want to pressure you into the job. Probably shouldn’t give the opportunity to say no, as I’ve been hearing it a lot lately.”

The hunter-nin could see why it had been difficult, Rukiri. Not many had been happy they’d been allowed to attend the academy, a teacher even left rather than teach them. Old views, forgetting that the previous Kage also had kekkei genkai. Well any other form of kekkei genkai would’ve been less of a hassle, heck some of the clans were seeing a resurgence in standing cause of such abilities. No it was cause the boy could become mist, tales from before the time of the villages spoke of such beings. In the past people have been called a demon of the hidden mist for their ferocity, Rukiri literally was the demon that title referred to. The ideal of a time that ought to be forgotten, a recent coup attempt had shown that was not the case.

“I’m more concerned about those he will be paired up with, you’ve kept his generation in the dark. It will come to light though, I won’t have him on my team if he’s holding back to keep his ability secret.”

She’d learned the hard way the price paid by such foolishness, though the holding back hadn’t been for such an important reason. Indeed keeping that secret had likely allowed Rukiri a mostly average childhood,

“I wouldn’t expect you to, he’s a genin now and as such will be expect to fulfil his missions to the best of his abilities. No matter what the elders say, he’s obligated to use his abilities. He’s still got that leash on him, to keep them happy. I’ll have to instruct you on it’s usage, if you accept the position.”

It actually impressed her, how much they had been willing to give up, just to chase their dream of becoming a ninja. Seemingly getting instinctively the nature of a ninja, considering they weren’t any more mature than their classmates that was strange. Likely born from their ambitions, stubbornness as well. She’d already made up her mind, but she was tempted to say no if only to find out who her kage would go to next. A foolish reason to do so, and she likely could guess those who also not so adverse to training Rukiri. The kid’s parents were likely the only ones old enough to provide proper training, and that would be a nightmare. A team should never have relatives in it, ninja have a hard enough time maintaining emotional balance. Fourth Ninja war had thinned the ranks too much, leaving too many of those that were set in the old ways. Made the revitalisation of the village all the more difficult, never mind their close minded ways on things like the kid. These next couple of generations of ninja were important, if handled right, the old ways would truly be a thing of the past and they could truly stand with the other big five villages in the modern age.

“I’ll do it, if anything it’s an opportunity. All three are of sufficient skill that it’s too tempting to pass up. Once I’ve tested them of course, graduation is after all only the first step.”

Not only would she be the one who moulds some of the generations most promising genin, but she’ll be operating in the open again. Hadn’t done that since she picked up her first scar, and frankly she really ought to have something else that could be known about her on record. She was still vain enough to find it irksome that all her hard work was never to see the light of day. It was a job she didn’t regret taking, but the opportunity to garner some prestige was too tempting for the old her. Even if much of that self was long dead, she’d at least be able to keep these three ninja of hers from making that mistake.

“Very well, you may remove your mask. Recieve your new mission, Jonin Kasumi Yagami.”

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Re: Blades in the Mist (Naruto RP IC)

Post by Ninmast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:14 pm

All of his studying, his constant training, had paid off, but even though he was now a Genin, Hiroki Hashiji knew that he wasn't going to be able to slow down. All the same, he felt pride in his accomplishment as his name was called and he went to the stage to accept his badge. In the audience, he could pick out his mother's voice, but far and away his loudest cheerleader was his little sister. Ancestors bless her. She even ran over to hug him as he went over to her and their mother.

"Your father and I are so proud of you," his mother told him after joining and pulling away from the group embrace. She was a small-framed, youthful woman full of life and zeal. Absolutely not someone one would look at and see as threatening, but when she could spare the time, she had helped him with his kenjutsu. She had always refrained during sparring from using her Kami no Karada and instead focused on making sure her son knew the necessary skills, but that hadn't meant she was holding back. Obviously, he normally trained with family retainers when he wasn't practicing alone, well-paid private tutors that worked exclusively for the clan, but weren't part of the family, but no session was as difficult as those against his mother. Her speed with her nodachi was absurd, and there were times where she'd tag him four or five times before the force of her massive blows would send him rolling across the courtyard. Even his spar for testing with his teacher hadn't been so harsh. "He was so sorry he wouldn't be here for the ceremony."

His father had received a mission a week before the graduation ceremony, and was told it would keep him away for at least two weeks. The needs of the village didn't stop just because his son was graduating, though village policy made sure to keep one family member home while students were in the house, meaning his mother would remain in the village without a dispatch mission until his little sister graduated. She would never admit it, and he knew being there for them was something she'd never trade in, but if her sparring sessions were any indication, she was chomping at the bit for some action. Especially when her husband was away, Hiroki knew she was torn with desire to be there for him.

Hiroki smiled and put his hand on his mother's arm. "It's okay, Mom. I'm a Genin now. I'm old enough to understand that the village comes first. Most of us have one or both parents away, after all. We should be proud that Dad's called upon by the village so often."

It was just words, the words they all knew were supposed to be said, to place the village's needs above the wants of the individual. It was the "correct" reply to give, but he could see that saying it soothed her all the same. Her eyes lit with pride in her son for a moment before she nodded and hugged him. "We're so proud of you, Hiroki."

He gave a nervous grin, then returned the hug a second time. "You've said that already, Mom."

A sudden punch landed at where his kidney would be, were his chains not in the way, and he turned away to look at his sister. "It's not her fault! It's yours for saying something so cool like that, Niisan!"

Hiroki gave a laugh and ruffled her hair. "Right, right, my bad. Now, let me out of here before I get too big a head to fit through the door." He turned and pecked his mother on the cheek again. "If they'll let me, I'll be back for dinner."

Everyone's grades for the final exams were posted next to the assignments, and Hiroki took a moment to check how he placed before checking who his team was. Despite his pleading with his family, he felt his pride swell a little more at his top-of-the-class marks. Even if he didn't have a kekkei genkai, he'd make sure he would be a ninja worthy of his family name if he had to push himself forever.

After that, he checked the list, but if he was upset by it, he gave no indication, only turning to look around the room, obviously looking for his teammates. When he spotted Nori, he raised his hand and headed his way. "Rukiri!" he greeted, and moved to take a seat beside him, though he didn't sit yet, first offering his fellow student a hand. "Looking forward to working with you and Haruka."

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Werebeast

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:07 am

Graduation Day, rank of Genin, missions, none of this was apparently exciting enough for Haruka as she snoozed during the actual ceremony. It was only when a fellow academy classmate slapped her upside the head, and she backhandedly swiped at him, that she heard her name be called for possibly the fourth time now. She yawned and went ahead to receive her mark of a ninja from the mizukage, the village hidden in the mist's moniker on a simple steel plate bolted into soft cloth. She gave a cheeky grin as she knew her master would find this spectacular that she was beginning to take her training seriously. This was the proof, while her parents were excited themselves she knew they loved her anyways so it was less special. So when they talked to her afterwards she was only half listening and looking around for her teacher, to let him know that she ad put all his hard work into her to good use.

He just so happened to popped up around her legs and just as quickly she was carting him off as her parents waved knowing their daughter was going to head off with her feline tutor. They were what one would call very basic ninja, sensory types who helped the village in different ways than many of the others mostly through information gathering and reports. They were also veterans of the final great ninja war and were happy that such a mess was finally over with, that their daughter would never have to face what they did. Haruka, for her part, was snuggling in the gray ad white face of her feline teacher as she began gloating about how far she had come. She got a head bonk for her troubles and a scolding for being too expressive by the nekonoichi, the old bastard yawned and began to list off the many flaws that were still present and accounted for in her form, chakra control and levels, and basic understanding of how to use jutsu.

"However, beyond all those limitations, you are now officially a genin~nyan" the wisened kimono sporting housecat had loosened up a bit and was looking up at his pupil as they walked from the assembly off to Haruka's classroom to investigate where she'd be placed on a team "Don't muck about with your lazy tendencies~nyan, training only gets started as far as I'm concerned~nyan. You're grown from newborn to kitten, so well done~nyan, but kittens still know nothing, learn from the mistakes you've made and are going to make~nyan" He sprung from her grasp and light lightning he was off down the hall, he'd had his fill and scolded her long enough, it was his way of showing her affection and though he was a cranky old fart he was genuinely proud of her and saw the long road they still had to go down before she mastered her evolution into the feline jutsus.

Haruka didn't bother checking her scores, she knew she had passed and that was all that mattered, she had the material she needed to competently perform standard jutsu and her own brand. Now she only looking over the fact she was paid with Hiroki and Rukiri, they were two of the nicer ones to her during classes. Now they'd be together, going out on missions, and probably training and working a whole lot to improve on each other's strengths and supplement weakness. It was lots of work but Haruka was willing to give it a shot so long as they let her get enough sleep in between everything.
She spun to see Hiroki walking to a bored looking Rukiri, she quietly began to step up to follow along wit whatever conversations ensued. As of right now they were a team, the fact they were missing a jonin was of no consequence with her, she looked as though she could fall asleep right there.
Credit to Sammy and Nicodemus; one created my set for me, the other drew the source image as a request.
Thank You Both!

Darkblade
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Darkblade » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Rukiri looked at the offered hand, pondering whether to take it. He didn’t really feel a genuine desire to do so, nor to not take it. It just wasn’t something that meshed with his personality, but at the same time it was smart to play nice with others. Especially as they’d be working together for the foreseeable future, and if the gesture would aid in ensuring they got along then it was the better choice. So he took the hand, his gaze moving to Haruka, likely the one they’d have the most problems with. How can someone be so tired all the time?

“I hope it’s enjoyable.”

Couldn’t get worse than the academy, how did they manage to make learning the way of the ninja, boring? Then again there wasn’t much they could teach him, kenjutsu was something he’d always been interested in to begin with. His body made a lot of the techniques pointless, and if he had to write another essay he’d probably pull a Zabuza. Probably not the best thought to have when you’re fighting against the notion you’re a threat to the village. But then who didn’t have a few things that drove them mental?

Teams were leaving when their Jonin instructors turned up, Rukiri was still pondering just who they’d end up with. Typically of his luck, that they’d be the ones left waiting.

-----

The Mizukage had dismissed her, thus it was time to prepare herself for the new mission. No longer would she be hidden from the village, now they as a whole would learn what she was capable of. The downside of being a hunter-nin, sure you got to take one the toughest missions for one’s kage, but nobody ended up learning you did those things. None of them would ever figure out it was she who dispatched so many of the missing nin that never returned from the war, nor the activities that were even darker than black ops. No, they’d never learn just what she had done to ensure the safety of the village. Which was all well and good, but she wasn’t about to lie to herself. She really wanted to be memorable, while she didn’t pursue the average dream of wielding one of the seven nor even a desire for the position of kage. There was a desire to be remembered, even after the lessons she’d learned through pain, she still wanted fame. It gave her something to work on anyway, for being perfect would be dull.

Also meant she got to wear something other than the standard uniform, that was done to avoid anyone ever spotting distinctive physical features. Considering she also enjoyed showing off her own features, that was a hassle. Her scars were a testament to her resolve to loyalty, and should be flaunted, even as she had once flaunted her skin when it had no such flaws. By the time she was done, she noted she was definitely running late. Well not like her genin wouldn’t wait, they were instructed to do so. Even if this was just a formality, it would be tomorrow that they’d be put to the test to see just what type of ninja they truly were. Exams were all well and good, but they didn’t tell a person how they’ll react to a situation. Would they dodge of kunai or throw one of their own? Flee when ordered to? Who was by the book, and who never bothered reading it? That was the sort of thing she needed to know, as their lives would be in her hands.

Returning to the academy, she walked along the corridor. Recalling her time here, and how little of that time she’d truly taken advantage of. It was beyond these walls that had taught her the way of the ninja, and set her nindo in stone. Back then all she cared about was perceptions, how people looked at her and of course how good she looked. Vanity had been her bane, still was, just altered to fit her new norm. How few of her class still lived, and yet she survived. The one who scraped by, never once exerting herself to understand the lessons they wanted to teach her. Yes she wanted the prestige of being a ninja, but she hadn’t exactly the mentality at the the time to desire putting the effort in. That much had changed, or at least had been changed, as she hadn’t exactly come to that decision by herself. Which of these genin would find themselves forced to change their thinking? The apathetic one who like herself barely managed to pass the exam? Nekonin though tended to have those traits, cats were hardly go getters, more lay down and nap till it was food time. One who had striven to pass every test to the praise of their tutors? Really depended on what drove them to do so, as doing the right thing for the wrong reasons can still end up hurting a person in the long run. Then there was Rukiri, would the world beyond the village change them? Likely with someone that stubborn, it was the world that was going to have to change. She would be certain push them in the coming days, and see who bends or breaks. Entering the room, she noted everyone else had left. Well that made things easier, no need to go find some spot to have a private chat with her genin. Noting that the board had indeed not named her as the jonin instructor, nice that the illusion of her choice was still there. All the Mizukage had to do was order her and that would’ve been that, even if he hadn’t ordered others, her previous position and personality would’ve left her no room to argue against it.

“Seems a small introduction will be required, I am Kasumi Yagami. From this point forward I shall be your Instructor and Team Leader, my word will be law on the battlefield.”

Might as well come across as one who brooks no nonsense, would hopefully save her having to actually argue with them later. Rukiri was stubborn, Hiroki was from a noble clan thus likely a headache to deal with, and Haruka was liable to complain every time they had to use soldier pills over actual food. Thus all of them were going to be troublesome to deal with should they think it’s ok to speak out of turn. Maybe once she’d gotten them figured out better, she’d relax the stance if only to test their ability to think for themselves. Moving to where the instructors would normally lecture from, it was the most convenient place to place themselves in a classroom. As the one who would have the authority over these genin, it wouldn’t do to sit themselves at a desk as if they were a peer.

“First though, I want to hear a few words from each of you. A bit of a trust building exercise, so to speak. While each of you may know each other, I wish you to speak as if you were introducing yourselves for the first time. Your name, a bit about yourself, and the reason you decided to become a ninja. I should point out, Rukiri, you have permission to speak freely. So while you think on how to do that, which of you two wants to start first?”

Might as well put that ball in Rukiri’s court, as it would sound better coming from him. He was after all the only person who truly knew what it was like to possess such an ability. Just saying he became mist was likely a bit of an understatement, if anything from her view of it the reverse could also be true. In that he was mist that could become a solid being, considering how the leash worked. Even then that likely wasn’t accurate enough, so let the person who actually is it explain it. Saves her the trouble, and further ingrains the notion that this is all about creating bonds of trust. She’d round it out after Rukiri to further cement this trust extended beyond just the genin, even if she was going to keep a lot of things secret from them.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:26 am

The three had settled into some idle conversation after introductions as they found themselves still waiting for their jonin to arrive. Hiroki was pleased to find that both seemed to have no objections to the team assignment. For his part, he liked the pairing. Rukiri always seemed to do quite well in lessons, and he had a good chance that, despite Haruka being lazy, she'd perform very well when the time to act came. When a woman entered the room, he went silent. It was no guess that she would be the jonin they were waiting for, but he didn't recognize her at all from the village.

He immediately pushed himself to his feet and stood at attention even before she'd introduced herself. Kasumi Yagami. He didn't recognize the name, either. An introduction was a bit of a weird way to start things, though. Like she said, they all knew each other, and if she was their team lead, she should have been briefed on them, too, so what was the objective? How was it a trust-building exercise? Perhaps she intended to do the same? Damn, but she looked older than his mother. Wait. No. Focus. And don't be rude. Focus and don't be rude. Your mother didn't raise you to be so rude. Or unfocused.

This flashed through his mind fairly quickly, and he cleared his throat to start. "I'm Hiroki Hashiji, of the Hashiji clan, one of the founding clans of the Village of the Mist." He didn't say it like he was trying to brag, just giving details, like she said, as if he were introducing himself to people who didn't know this. It was also a bit of rote to give him time to plan the rest of what he would say. Should he confess his weaknesses? Was it some sort of test, the importance of concealing vulnerabilities? No, he decided. If it was a trust-building exercise as she said, then he had to be honest. If he gave false expectations and a time came where his team needed him to deliver on them and he couldn't, the fault would be on him. "Though my family is known for their Kekkei Genkai, I don't seem to have inherited it. My affinity is for water, but I have trouble with chakra-intensive jutsus even within my own affinity." That wasn't something he'd made readily apparent before now, always keeping it under a mask. Indeed, inadvertently, his allies might actually take it to assume he meant relative to his family, not relative to his classmates, or perhaps think that everything came easy to him, so he didn't realize that the universally equal demand was actually universal ease. It didn't matter now, such things would be sorted out in time. "My preferred weapon is the Kusari-Gama and my preferred direct combat style heavily involves restraining techniques. Compared to my teammates, I believe these would work well against Haruka, but poorly against Rukiri."

He turned and first bowed at the wast to the jonin, then to his classmates, then to the jonin again. Perhaps an overly proper thing to do. "I look forward to working together. Please take care of me."

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:02 am

Haruka stared blankly ahead as the female jonin came in and introduced herself, she wasn't any Jonin she'd ever seen but then maybe that was just because Haruka wasn't privy to every ninja being talked about at the table with her parents. Didn't bother her and it didn't show on her face as her eyelids threatened to sink down over her and doze off, she introduced herself as Kasumi and Haruka just kind of shrugged as she said her word was the final one on any issue. That was fair, Haruka was used to all or nothing commands with Devi anyways but that wouldn't stop her from being tired. As she began speaking about introductions and trust exercise Haruka inwardly rolled her eyes. She'd been attending class with these two since day one she already knew who was who and what they tended towards, and blah blah blah. Then Hiroki started up, and he was just off like a bolt and Haruka looked to him as he spoke about this and that and stretched her arms out flexing her fingers as he finished and spoke so the new jonin wouldn't yell at her for insubordination.

"Haruka Komari, sensory type ninja for parents, nothing special but helps the village like everyone else" He voice was woozy and she was yawning but participating "I'm a wind nature, but i focus on yang release, I want to learn chakra flow control and increase my relative level by orders of magnitude" more yawning before she continued "So that I can master my nekoninjutsu and complete a full transformation permanently, all my skills are in neko jutsus, I'm am an ambush and pursuit type and I train almost nonstop outside of class on taijutsu and ninjutsu, so I'm always sleepy and worn out, but also hard to catch off guard. I promise not to be a liability despite what is thought of me. I'm not dumb or lazy, just tired and only focused on mastering jutsu over other stuff" she shifted a bit and rolled her head about as she thought of anything else.

"I think that's it, I'm not gonna tr and talk about how I stand up to my classmates, because they already know and so do you I'm sure sensei" with that she at least was looking at Kasumi awake just not so alert.
Credit to Sammy and Nicodemus; one created my set for me, the other drew the source image as a request.
Thank You Both!

Darkblade
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Darkblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Rukiri expect the responses given, while he might not seem like he embraced the notions of camaraderie. He did pay attention to those around him, thus got a good grasp of what type of people his classmates were. They didn’t get a similar sharing, as he was expected to keep secrets and that meant he needed to play things off a certain way. Aloofness helped with that, keeping himself a bit of a mystery, which didn’t help them get to know him better. They knew he was the practical type, preferring sparring over book learning. But then that was obvious to anyone, even the blind.

“Well lets kick off the obvious stuff, I’m Nori Namako. Ok that part was unlikely to be obvious, seeing as everyone calls me Rukiri.”

He stood up and lept from the tables, might as well let them see what he was going to reveal. Words weren’t going to get them to understand what was going on, even the old scrolls on the subject didn’t help. Probably cause they were written long after the ability seemed to disappear from the world, joys of the warring states period of history.

“The reason for that is simple, it’s an insult. Due to the fact I have a kekkei genkai not seen since the time the village was founded.”

His flesh and hair began to become hazy and indistinct, usually he moved fast enough to prevent people noticing. Motion blur made it very hard to notice this stage, where he tried to keep things more of less intact. Then the colour left it, as he was now mist, well not entirely as he was keeping things together enough to prevent loss of clothing. While he was leashed it was just simpler to keep using normal clothing, as that took concious effort and frankly he rather not be naked should he unconsciously reform without clothing.

“All of my skills revolve around the nature of my body, even the mist I use to blanket the area is part of me. Oh and of course.”

He made a gripping gesture, mist swirled between the bandages and seemed to congeal in his grip. There in his hand was the sheathed katana he carried around with him, though now it was truly sharpened. For no longer would he be expected to have dull edge for training purposes. Reverting back to his more normal self, though still clutching his favoured weapon he shrugged.

“It’s called kiritai, probably has a proper name among it’s original users. If we could find any of them of course, but to put it simply. My body is mist, and mist is my body. No point debating which is my true self, as that’s just a headache waiting to happen. I’ve water affinity, big surprise there.”

He looked back at their Jonin, didn’t seem they’d gone overboard on the explanation. So at least they weren’t in breach of the oath to Mizukage, as that would be a bit of a slap in their face considering how much they’d given them.

“As for the rest, I’m of the Namako clan. Not exactly the most popular person in the village, and became a ninja for various reasons. Though to save time, lump them under the notion I want to do as my family has done for generations, serve the village. As a bit of a kenjutsu fanatic, I do have the desire to become one of the seven for the next generation. Frankly, I want to become the greatest swordsman ever, but then I doubt any of them nor anyone else who wants to wield one of the seven swords of the mist don’t also want to be the best ever.”

It was a pretty common ambition of old, not so much now seeing how many of the swordsmen went rogue in the past. But Rukiri would strive to rehabilitate that image, as much as the image the elders had of himself. Those ancient weapons that had for generations been their trump card, should not be hidden away in some vault cause they spoke to a bloody past. No, they should be in the open, held by ninja that could add to their legend and outshine the dark blots upon their past. Of course his real ambition was to master all seven, why go small when you can go big?

She watched and listened, the seemed to fit the natures she’d gotten from their academy reports. Well that and what the kage had told her, each had a talent to be moulded. As an instructor she could teach them much, at least when it came to how a ninja should be. When it came to jutsu, Rukiri was the one she was going to have problems with. His kekkei genkai’s abilities made him the least likely to benefit from jutsu she could impart, he already was his own variation of the hidden mist technique for a start. The others seemed happy with their niches, she’d break them of that given time. A ninja ought to have a variety of answers to a problem, as a preferred style can be learned and used against them. Not that it stopped ninjas from specialising, but they ought to have a couple of curve balls in their arsenal.

“Very well, then I shall round this out. I just gave you my name, and why I am here. There is much that you’ll never learn about me, but know that I will push each of you. That may even cause you to hate me, though that won’t matter to me. You are fresh genin, with ambitions for greatness. When I’m done, you might actually be worthy of having those ambitions.”

There was only one thing left for them to do before they’d become a true team, and that was the final test. Not a lot of jonin did final tests, just accepting the team they were given without a second thought. Some went through genin like it was going out of fashion, a habit she wasn’t going to take up. No she was old school, a ninja is meant to endure. Which meant a ninja should always be tested, and the genin were no exception. If they couldn’t deal with that, she would send them right back to the academy. For their own good, as well as the village’s.

“Tomorrow I want you to meet me in the practice field, there you shall be expected to complete a task. Fail and your time as a genin will have ended, pass and your life as a ninja shall truly begin.”

She vanished in a puff of smoke, vanity was never going to leave her system. A tad over dramatic, but it also helped test their mentality. Would the pressure get to any of them? Probably not, but having it press upon them would give her insights that words could never manage. Though Rukiri’s blank stare at where she’d been was depressing, acting like what she’d done was incredibly lame. She had to wonder how often the team had even been to the open practice field, it wasn’t used that often cause the academy pools were sufficient for the students to train in. But she wanted them to deal with a less sterile environment, one where they could truly show her what they were capable of. Academy duels didn't exactly show a full array of a ninja's capacity to dictate a battle.

Rukiri felt his eyes rolling, their jonin had a flare for drama. That was going to be a headache, as much as it might impress people to see their instructor disappear with a body flicker. The use of smoke just garnered attention, he could swear a ninja wasn’t meant to be flashy. True a lot of jutsu were pretty flashy, but still, sneaking was a skill best implemented without a display. So tomorrow they’d be given another test, he was confident he could pass it. Seemed to be a practical one, so no irksome writing. Even if he’d rather have a jonin who would’ve left via the door instead of overacting, he was glad to have the opportunity to display his talents. Especially knowing he was going to be able to use them without worrying about keeping the secret he’d been forced to keep in the academy. Finally a chance to really stretch his legs so to speak, looking at his comrades he sighed as showing too much excitement might send the wrong message.

“I suspect Sensei drinks a lot of coffee, at least we get to go home before dinner can get cold.”

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:07 am

Hiroki didn't seem disturbed by the smoke, either, instead folding one arm across his chest and holding his chin with the other in thought. Another test? He couldn't say he was really what one could call surprised. This was supposed to be their continuing education, after all. It would hardly be their last test, either, he was sure, and he wasn't being metaphorical, talking about challenges that would arrive in the due process of their missions. No, formal tests would follow them all of their lives, that just needed to be accepted. This was simply a pop quiz. They had warning it would occur, but not what it would entail.

The mystery was probably part of the test, seeing how they'd handle the stress and suspense. If that was the case, it was a poorly conceived test. He knew that stressing over what the test might be would be completely useless and would only serve to fray his nerves. All he could do was prepare for it and adapt when it revealed itself. Haruka was too lazy to worry, and he was fairly sure Rukiri was too proud to let it bother him. Just one more hurdle to proving how awesome he thought he was. No, if anyone would sleep poorly tonight, it would be the last one, too eager for his first chance to really let loose now that he'd revealed his genkai. That could be a problem. Pride was the fastest path to blindness.

After taking this moment to think about it, he turned toward Nori with a smile. "Well, that explains why you're so hard to pin or bind, eh, Rukiri? Ah, or should I call you Nori? Even if it started as an insult from others, it's all we've known you by for years. It'll take time to adjust."

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:22 pm

"I'll call you Nori, considering I didn't know Rukiri was an insult" Haruka had her head planted firmly into her palm looking at them both with a half baked look on her face. "She's probably going to be using something stupid to try and test our ability to get out of our comfort zones and break us into being Genin. But for now I do wanna get home before mother is finished with dinner, I need to get in at least three hours of training time tonight. Come on we'll leave together" despite how tired and lazy she was perceived by her classmates, now teammates, she did push off and start walking moving her hand about in a 'come along' fashion so they could all walk out together.

"We should probably talk to each other more about what all we can do as well, if we're gonna be any kind of team we have to" she paused to yawn and stretch her arms a bit, cracking her neck "Understand each other's weaknesses to cover them and strengths to rely on, nobody needs to be a glory seeker and nobody needs to play the stubborn hero"

"Before you two ask, just cause I'm always sleepy and I hate tests, doesn't mean I am not insightful. It's just book learning sucks and is boring and I train a whole lot so I'm always gonna be sleepy, come on let's start walking the both of you." with that she fully began to make her way out of the classroom and down the hall in a pretty leisurely but interestingly quicker pace than how she came in.
Thank You Both!

Darkblade
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Darkblade » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 pm

He followed, if for no other reason than it was liable to cause more headaches not to do so. Well that and on the move their words would be less likely to be overheard, just cause their jonin make a flashy exit didn’t mean they weren’t listening in. It would be the sort of thing a ninja would do, test or not, it was a chance to gather intel on any plans they might come up with on the matter.

“Start calling me Nori and people will wonder who you’re talking about, Rukiri has no sting to it anyway. Already having a name to be famous for, without even a mission under my belt.Well that a Nori sounds very odd to hear, what kind of ninja in their right mind would choose it over Rukiri? So might as well keep using Rukiri.”

Indeed, he’d been called Rukiri so much in life that he’d never felt comfortable with his own name. If it weren’t a concious effort on his part, they’d probably forget to react to the name at all. As he’d said, it’s the sort of name a ninja would garner via their fame, Demon of the Hidden Mist, The Copy Ninja, etc, traits they possessed that the world stopped thinking of them as normal people. He had such a name already, even if it was meant to demean him, he would embrace it and turn it into legend. But first they had to pass this latest test, frankly there was little he could do to prepare. His abilities weren’t going to grow overnight, so probably best not to worry about it. The only aspect that was likely to improve was the one he least had control over, team work. They were a group of individuals, true no team starts off as a unit, but he could sense each of them had something to get in the way of working together.

No matter how much they claimed otherwise, Nekonin weren’t renowned for being team players. A cat’s traits were geared to independence, something a nekonin would embrace as a strength. Hiroki’s ambitions were liable to make them want to stand out, understandable but also a headache. The sort of desires that led to selfish actions, they might be able to keep their head on straight but Rukiri wasn’t going to overlook anything that might be a problem. His own problems derived from his kekkei genkai, genin weren’t trained in silent homicide techniques. Thus his mist would limit their ability to fight, and their Jonin was likely a master of such techniques so it wouldn’t help them if their test involved taking them on in any capacity. He’s likely have to rely on kenjutsu, again not a great thing for teamwork considering his comrade’s specialities. However, there was an idea that could work should the test involve combat.

“Strengths and weaknesses, we’re all genin. If the test involves any form of combat, it’ll be against a Jonin who likely knows everything we’ve done in the academy. If I were her, I’d eliminate Hiroki first. Thus no need to worry about traps, then take you out, of two of us you’re the easier to hit. Then it comes down to her vast experience, and my unique ability. I’m confident I could keep her from landing a serious blow, but being on the defensive constantly wouldn’t achieve much of anything. Thus we lose, and frankly I rather not do that.”

He certainly rather not go back to the academy, it would be humiliating for one thing. Another, it would be back to being bored out of his skull again. Which was something he definitely wanted to avoid, which meant they had to come up with a way to at the very least impress their Jonin enough to want to keep them around. He doubted the test would involve defeating her, as that would be impossible. Not because of her rank, but because it was obvious she had experience real battles. If she was old enough, she might’ve even taken part in the last Ninja War. Even had she not, it was apparent to Rukiri she knew how to fight.

“So to counter that, it won’t be our strengths nor weaknesses that matter. But how we adapt to her actions, in my scenario it would be defending Hiroki thus throwing off the game plan at step one. Giving Hiroki time to leave traps, unknown to us. Thus eliminating genjutsu as a means of discerning their location, nor reading out movements as we’d be none the wiser. I can fight in such an environment without too many problems, that would make you ranged support for me and defence for Hiroka. It might not be leaning into your close combat strengths, but we’ve all learned how to throw kunai and shuriken. Enough to keep them from looking for tags and trip wires at any rate, while at the same time giving you ample room to avoid any ninjutsu she might throw your way. Keeping Hiroki up and running though would be your priority, as the moment we lose the ability to shape the battlefield she’ll be free to fully go on the offensive.”

He saw the holes in the concept, a Jonin of her experience was liable to still be able to fight through all this. But frankly, as genin they were never going to be able to dominate the offence even three on one. Heck she could likely take on their entire graduating class without breaking a sweat, but as a three man cell it was likely the best option they had. Of course he had other ideas, though most of those involved solo fighting and this test was unlikely to be revolving around one on one battles. He could probably throw in a mist clone to further aid in keeping the trap specialist from getting tagged early on.

“Oh and of course, we ought to implement as much deception as possible. But I think that’s the gist of it, apologies for taking the lead on this but it saved time to just point out our best shot than waste the day to end up with that plan. Well that and frankly, I fear my mother more than seeming impolite, no way am I giving a chance for a meal she cooked to grow cold. Of course for all we know, the test could be a written paper on how the practice field has been left unused. So my only real suggestion would be, don’t worry about it. A good night, and good food are likely to trump any amount of planning could give us. We might want to meet up at the academy before we go to the practice field for the exam, a team ought to at least turn up together.”

Though he wasn’t entirely truthful about his intentions, for while he was indeed heading home. When he sped off, leaping around rooftops, he made a separate stop on his trip home. The practice field, might as well get a good look at the place, it wasn’t much of a detour for him. His clan didn’t warrant the nicer part of the village, even if it did require a fair bit of land for being numerous. The practice field was a bit of a misnomer, as it wasn’t a field. More a stretch of uncultivated land, stretches of forest, meadows, marsh, and of course rivers and a lake. Simulating with reality much of what they would face within the Land of Water. It didn’t take him long to survey it, but then it wasn’t exactly his speciality to use it to the nth degree. He just wanted a decent picture in his head, so he’d know where he might be able to retreat to or launch an attack from. When the met tomorrow he’d want to grab his comrades and let them know of one of his ideas, he didn’t speak of it cause even on the move it was the sort of plan that he dare not risk being overheard. Would be a waste of effort if it was discovered, so best to do it when they knew where their Jonin was. Which would be when she was waiting for them to turn up for their exam, hence why he suggested they meet up before the exam. Now it was time for home, and food, hopefully father might be back for it as it wouldn’t be much of a celebration without all the family.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:11 am

Hiroki had nodded in agreement with Rukiri's suggestion concerning priorities. He figured his defensive game was as good as either of his classmates, mist genkai notwithstanding, but this was a Jonin they were potentially facing, or at least the machinations of one whether their team leader fought them directly or not. They should all be starting from the assumption that their current skill levels were insufficient regardless of what skill they were thinking of. Any exception to that which was revealed tomorrow was a happy coincidence, or more likely a deception to lure them into overconfidence. He who dares wins, but the foolish were the first to die.

When he mentioned as much additional deception as possible, Hiroki spoke. "It seems to me her biggest perception might be that we are too attached to our specialties. Can Haruka actually hold ground when her preferred role as an ambush predator is denied to her? She might fold like wet paper if forced to fight directly without running away. Does Rukiri overrely on his mist form and overestimate his skill with a blade because he has a natural talent for quick draw? He, of all of us, might be lacking in more basic skills specifically because he's so gifted. Have his gifts become crutches without him realizing it?" He wrapped one arm around his chest while propping the other elbow on it to hold his chin, a thoughtful pose. "Can I perform against a foe that can see through my tricks and avoid my chains? Would I survive being forced into a test of endurance against a superior foe?"

He motioned toward them as he moved away from the questions. "Those are what I suspect the test tomorrow will seek to examine. But I have one more trick in mind that just might answer them all. Normally, our drastically weaker strength and inexperience would be a drawback, but if it works, it could turn it into an advantage. I'll have it ready for when we meet up tomorrow in advance of the test."

Hiroki, too, had wanted to see the practice field. He wanted to know the layout they would be dealing with. Unlike Rukiri, however, he wanted more than just an impression. In fact, Rukiri would have spotted him sitting on top of a pole just outside the practice "field" with a scroll in his hand. He was looking out intently at the field, but his hand was drawing on the scroll all the same. His classmates would have seen him take notes like this, he was able to watch and operate his hand independently without having to look down at what he was doing. No doubt he was making a to scale map of the field, but he was absorbed in his concentration, not looking away as his gaze moved over every meter in turn.