Let the GAMES begin!

High-ku Jump - Deadline: 18th July
Synchronised Swimming - Deadline: 4th August
The Marathon - Deadline: 31st August

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Magical Menagerie [IC]

The realms where magic is the most prevalent. These are the realms of traditional fantasy but includes any setting where magic is the primary focus. Examples: LotR, Harry Potter, Dresden Files.

Moderators: Ares [Darkblade], Athena [Georgeanna]

Ailis
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Adventurer

Magical Menagerie [IC]

Post by Ailis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 am

(link to sign up/interest check viewtopic.php?f=105&p=128700#p128700)

Maybelle's Magical Menagerie; 3442 Windenburg Street, Banff, Alberta

It had been a couple days since Maybelle had hastily scrawled down the letters and sent them off into the wind. No responses yet. Maybelle wasn't one to let nerves get the best of her, but as she paced up and down her dark, somewhat crowded store, she couldn't calm her shaking hands. What, exactly, was she supposed to do if no one got back to her? They couldn't expect her and Alice to just drop everything to go to India, where they would certainly die. Alone. In the wilderness.

She stopped her pacing and leaned against one of the many wooden crates that were stacked up against the wall of her shop, digging her hands into the crazy brown curls that grew from her head in all directions. "UggHHHH!" Following her groan of dismay, the creatures in the store erupted in their own noises, most especially the puff-rogs, which croaked and called from the crate right behind her.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry Tabitha, Eric, Kevin, Dani-" she began listing off the names of the puff-rogs that resided in the crate just behind her caboose before a quick movement brought her attention to the ground just in front of her.

"Daniel! What are you doing out of your cage?" She dived forward, aiming to catch the gray-and-brown stripped puff-rog that seemed to be taunting her from the floor, but completely missed and smashed her forehead off the nearest table instead. And so she was left sprawled on the cold floor, wondering what choices in her life led her to be in this situation.
Last edited by Ailis on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

BrookeDi
Member of the Month
Member of the Month
Class: Rogue

Re: Magical Menagerie [IC]

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:14 am

She was late to work, like super late, but she hoped that the cup of hot tea in her hand with May's name written on it would ease her boss's frustration--that and the update that she'd managed to get a flyer in every store on the street (both of the magical and nonmagical variety). They'd both been stressed lately, since The Visit (and that's how she heard it in her head, capital letters T and V), and Alice had overslept this morning, struggling to drag herself out of bed. The tension had been eating away at her, and she hadn't been sleeping very well. It wasn't often that she was late; hopefully, May was in a forgiving mood.

"Sorry, sorry." She announced as she pushed the door open with her hip, the little bell ringing over her head as she did so. The tea was placed on the counter with her purse, while she worked on shrugging out of her jacket and dropping it beside her bag. "I know I'm late, but I couldn't get my eyes open, and my bed positively did not want to let me up this morning. I brought you a present, though!" She paused when she realized that her arrival hadn't gathered any kind of a response, not even the cheerful, 'Be right with you!' that was usually shouted when they heard the bell go off from the back room. "Maybelle?" Alice called, glancing around the room.

She didn't see anything at first glance, so she started wandering until she caught sight of the woman's sprawled feet. "May!" She shouted and hurried to kneel beside her friend. "I knew something like this would happen the minute those people showed up here," she continued, ranting about being dragged into other people's problems when she realized that May's eyes were open and she was awake. "Are you okay? Do you need a doctor?" Relief flooded her voice as she realized she had not stumbled upon something much worse. "What happened?" Her eyes glanced around the room as if she could tell the signs of a struggle, but all she spotted was the puff-rog out of her cage. "Daniel," Alice disapproved, rising to gather the errant animal and return him to his cage before moving to help Maybelle off the ground.

I pledge for Zeus
Photo by David Moum on Unsplash

Moccasin
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Post by Moccasin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 am

"L'Oréal LP Serie Expert Absolut Repair Lipidium Shampoo 500ml at the Pearl Salon~ La da di la da dum..."

Sandra was unpacking a box of shampoos across the street when one of her nail techs, the ever-observant Julissa, informed her about the giant flyer stuck to the front of the salon. "What the heck? How did I not see this?" Snatches poster. Runs across street. Mutters in Spanish.

"Girl, I'm about to smack you!" An angry Hispanic would barge into the menagerie, her massive mane of dark curly hair shaking violently as she berated whoever was unfortunate enough to be in front of her. "How many times do I have to tell you- whoa, whoa, whoa. What happened?"

The shop was in a state of disarray, Maybelle was on the floor, and Alice was wrestling a wild animal. "Oh, honey." Sandy offered a hand to May, who immediately buried herself into her shoulder with a muffled scream. Sandy sighed, before giving her a gentle pat on the back. "There, there. Let's get you in a chair or something, huh? And then you can explain to me what this whole India business is?" Sandy mouthed a quick hello at Alice, before guiding her emotionally wrecked employer to the back room.

"Alright. Spill. I didn't leave the salon to buy a rainbow snail."

Ailis
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Adventurer

Post by Ailis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:06 am

Maybelle made sure to retrieve her tea from Alice as Sandy brought her into the backroom. She held it close to her face as she dramatically collapsed into the plum-coloured seats of the old chair that had been placed in the backroom for emergencies just like this one. She took a few swigs from the scorching hot English Breakfast Tea, she'd only take it scorching hot, before looking up at the Hispanic woman in front of her with wide, teary eyes.

"You know how my parents, Amilis bless them, were magical zoologists?" Maybelle clenched the cup tighter between her fingers, the lid getting dangerously close to popping off. "They did a lot of work in India, focusing their studies on the Neeru Paamu," she nodded her head toward a painting on the wall behind Sandra, which depicted a blue specimen that her parents had, in particular, spent a lot of time studying.

"Well, while they were there, they found another beast called the Leviathan, which everyone, until a couple days ago, thought was extinct." She sighed, sinking further into the plush cushions she was sitting on. "Basically, now we have to go into one of the most dangerous forests known to magickind to go save a magical bear."

Moccasin
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Post by Moccasin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Sandy listened closely to May's explanation, raising her eyebrows at the absurdity of it all. "Hmm. Let me get this straight. So there's this magic bear that people thought was extinct but now it's not and you want to go to India to do what exactly? Save it? Bring it home?" She took a moment to process what she said, weighing the options in her head.

May is one of my best friends. I would do anything for her. She studied her face, all dewy-eyed and delicate.

Just look at her. She's so young.

Sandy glanced down at her hands, callused and nimble from working at the salon.

The business would fall apart without me. That's not entirely true, actually. Julissa could probably take care of things, she's so smart. And nice!

May doesn't have a lot of friends. Human friends at least. Magic friends less. Maybe a stranger could tag along? Right, cause that's such a good idea. Random magic dude and a couple of gringas in the jungle. Ha! They wouldn't last a day...

It had been years since she went on an adventure. She graduated from Altsoba a decade ago. She moved to Canada when she was 22. She bought a house. She settled down with a local man, a magic local man, but a local man nonetheless. She kept her wedding dress in a box under the bed.

...oh my god I'm actually doing this. Ok. Here we go.

"Alright. I'll do it. But! Only if Angelo is cool with it."

BrookeDi
Member of the Month
Member of the Month
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:59 am

Alice waved at Sandy as the other woman herded Maybelle into the backroom. The assistant just shook her head; if only this were the first time that she'd come into the store to find her boss lying on the floor. After returning the rogue animal to its cage, she gathered her coat and purse and hung them up where they belong.

She counted the till.

She swept the floors.

She rang up some treats for a customer's cats.

She cleaned the animal cages.

There wasn't much to be done after that. The animals were happy, the store was clean, and they had no customers this morning. Alice found that she was, surprisingly, looking forward to leaving for India, even though she might not make it back alive. Somehow the idea was appealing (the dangerous adventure, not the looming death). She hummed a little song and, bored, made sure the register was locked before heading into the backroom and plopping down beside Maybelle. "I need a haircut," she announced to Sandy. There was no way she could go to the jungle with this much hear atop her head.

I pledge for Zeus
Photo by David Moum on Unsplash