Let the GAMES begin!

Olympic Contest Results - Going live over the course of the week!

IC RPC Olympics - The Sprint! - Results are now up!

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Magical Menagerie [IC]

The realms where magic is the most prevalent. These are the realms of traditional fantasy but includes any setting where magic is the primary focus. Examples: LotR, Harry Potter, Dresden Files.

Moderators: Ares [Darkblade], Athena [Georgeanna]

Ailis
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Adventurer

Magical Menagerie [IC]

Post by Ailis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 am

(link to sign up/interest check viewtopic.php?f=105&p=128700#p128700)

Maybelle's Magical Menagerie; 3442 Windenburg Street, Banff, Alberta

It had been a couple days since Maybelle had hastily scrawled down the letters and sent them off into the wind. No responses yet. Maybelle wasn't one to let nerves get the best of her, but as she paced up and down her dark, somewhat crowded store, she couldn't calm her shaking hands. What, exactly, was she supposed to do if no one got back to her? They couldn't expect her and Alice to just drop everything to go to India, where they would certainly die. Alone. In the wilderness.

She stopped her pacing and leaned against one of the many wooden crates that were stacked up against the wall of her shop, digging her hands into the crazy brown curls that grew from her head in all directions. "UggHHHH!" Following her groan of dismay, the creatures in the store erupted in their own noises, most especially the puff-rogs, which croaked and called from the crate right behind her.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry Tabitha, Eric, Kevin, Dani-" she began listing off the names of the puff-rogs that resided in the crate just behind her caboose before a quick movement brought her attention to the ground just in front of her.

"Daniel! What are you doing out of your cage?" She dived forward, aiming to catch the gray-and-brown stripped puff-rog that seemed to be taunting her from the floor, but completely missed and smashed her forehead off the nearest table instead. And so she was left sprawled on the cold floor, wondering what choices in her life led her to be in this situation.
Last edited by Ailis on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

BrookeDi
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Rogue

Re: Magical Menagerie [IC]

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:14 am

She was late to work, like super late, but she hoped that the cup of hot tea in her hand with May's name written on it would ease her boss's frustration--that and the update that she'd managed to get a flyer in every store on the street (both of the magical and nonmagical variety). They'd both been stressed lately, since The Visit (and that's how she heard it in her head, capital letters T and V), and Alice had overslept this morning, struggling to drag herself out of bed. The tension had been eating away at her, and she hadn't been sleeping very well. It wasn't often that she was late; hopefully, May was in a forgiving mood.

"Sorry, sorry." She announced as she pushed the door open with her hip, the little bell ringing over her head as she did so. The tea was placed on the counter with her purse, while she worked on shrugging out of her jacket and dropping it beside her bag. "I know I'm late, but I couldn't get my eyes open, and my bed positively did not want to let me up this morning. I brought you a present, though!" She paused when she realized that her arrival hadn't gathered any kind of a response, not even the cheerful, 'Be right with you!' that was usually shouted when they heard the bell go off from the back room. "Maybelle?" Alice called, glancing around the room.

She didn't see anything at first glance, so she started wandering until she caught sight of the woman's sprawled feet. "May!" She shouted and hurried to kneel beside her friend. "I knew something like this would happen the minute those people showed up here," she continued, ranting about being dragged into other people's problems when she realized that May's eyes were open and she was awake. "Are you okay? Do you need a doctor?" Relief flooded her voice as she realized she had not stumbled upon something much worse. "What happened?" Her eyes glanced around the room as if she could tell the signs of a struggle, but all she spotted was the puff-rog out of her cage. "Daniel," Alice disapproved, rising to gather the errant animal and return him to his cage before moving to help Maybelle off the ground.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Moccasin
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Paladin

Post by Moccasin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 am

"L'Oréal LP Serie Expert Absolut Repair Lipidium Shampoo 500ml at the Pearl Salon~ La da di la da dum..."

Sandra was unpacking a box of shampoos across the street when one of her nail techs, the ever-observant Julissa, informed her about the giant flyer stuck to the front of the salon. "What the heck? How did I not see this?" Snatches poster. Runs across street. Mutters in Spanish.

"Girl, I'm about to smack you!" An angry Hispanic would barge into the menagerie, her massive mane of dark curly hair shaking violently as she berated whoever was unfortunate enough to be in front of her. "How many times do I have to tell you- whoa, whoa, whoa. What happened?"

The shop was in a state of disarray, Maybelle was on the floor, and Alice was wrestling a wild animal. "Oh, honey." Sandy offered a hand to May, who immediately buried herself into her shoulder with a muffled scream. Sandy sighed, before giving her a gentle pat on the back. "There, there. Let's get you in a chair or something, huh? And then you can explain to me what this whole India business is?" Sandy mouthed a quick hello at Alice, before guiding her emotionally wrecked employer to the back room.

"Alright. Spill. I didn't leave the salon to buy a rainbow snail."
Last edited by Moccasin on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ailis
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Ailis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:06 am

Maybelle made sure to retrieve her tea from Alice as Sandy brought her into the backroom. She held it close to her face as she dramatically collapsed into the plum-coloured seats of the old chair that had been placed in the backroom for emergencies just like this one. She took a few swigs from the scorching hot English Breakfast Tea, she'd only take it scorching hot, before looking up at the Hispanic woman in front of her with wide, teary eyes.

"You know how my parents, Amilis bless them, were magical zoologists?" Maybelle clenched the cup tighter between her fingers, the lid getting dangerously close to popping off. "They did a lot of work in India, focusing their studies on the Neeru Paamu," she nodded her head toward a painting on the wall behind Sandra, which depicted a blue specimen that her parents had, in particular, spent a lot of time studying.

"Well, while they were there, they found another beast called the Leviathan, which everyone, until a couple days ago, thought was extinct." She sighed, sinking further into the plush cushions she was sitting on. "Basically, now we have to go into one of the most dangerous forests known to magickind to go save a magical bear."

Moccasin
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

Post by Moccasin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Sandy listened closely to May's explanation, raising her eyebrows at the absurdity of it all. "Hmm. Let me get this straight. So there's this magic bear that people thought was extinct but now it's not and you want to go to India to do what exactly? Save it? Bring it home?" She took a moment to process what she said, weighing the options in her head.

May is one of my best friends. I would do anything for her. She studied her face, all dewy-eyed and delicate.

Just look at her. She's so young.

Sandy glanced down at her hands, callused and nimble from working at the salon.

The business would fall apart without me. That's not entirely true, actually. Julissa could probably take care of things, she's so smart. And nice!

May doesn't have a lot of friends. Human friends at least. Magic friends less. Maybe a stranger could tag along? Right, cause that's such a good idea. Random magic dude and a couple of gringas in the jungle. Ha! They wouldn't last a day...

It had been years since she went on an adventure. She graduated from Altsoba a decade ago. She moved to Canada when she was 22. She bought a house. She settled down with a local man, a magic local man, but a local man nonetheless. She kept her wedding dress in a box under the bed.

...oh my god I'm actually doing this. Ok. Here we go.

"Alright. I'll do it. But! Only if Angelo is cool with it."
Last edited by Moccasin on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

BrookeDi
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:59 am

Alice waved at Sandy as the other woman herded Maybelle into the backroom. The assistant just shook her head; if only this were the first time that she'd come into the store to find her boss lying on the floor. After returning the rogue animal to its cage, she gathered her coat and purse and hung them up where they belong.

She counted the till.

She swept the floors.

She rang up some treats for a customer's cats.

She cleaned the animal cages.

There wasn't much to be done after that. The animals were happy, the store was clean, and they had no customers this morning. Alice found that she was, surprisingly, looking forward to leaving for India, even though she might not make it back alive. Somehow the idea was appealing (the dangerous adventure, not the looming death). She hummed a little song and, bored, made sure the register was locked before heading into the backroom and plopping down beside Maybelle. "I need a haircut," she announced to Sandy. There was no way she could go to the jungle with this much hear atop her head.
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Ailis
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Ailis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 am

Maybelle nearly leaped forward when Sandy said she'd go, dropping her cup of tea to grasp onto the older woman's hand. "Oh yes, please come!" She pulled Sandy down so they were face to face and planted a nice, sloppy kiss on her cheek. "I'm sure a water sorcerer would do wonders. You know I can't do much beyond attracting things that want to kill us."

While Maybelle was still holding Sandy far too close, her assistant made her presence known, sitting down beside her.

"Alice! Sandy said she would come to India with us." She finally released the older woman, turning her childlike enthusiasm onto her assistant. "I think our chance of dying has gone down at least three percent. Only eighty-seven percent now."

The cheery Fauna sorcerer then became somber once again.

"You should probably ask Angelo, though, he may not like the idea of you dying a horrible, gruesome death." And with that, she pushed herself out of the chair to go retrieve a mop to clean up the mess she had made from her tea.

She returned moments later, a mop in hand, and began to wipe up the liquid she had spilled.

"Also, our charter plane leaves at 11am tomorrow, so you may want to get ahold of him soon."

Moccasin
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

Post by Moccasin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 am

Sandy endured May's display of affection with a closed smile, panic building in her chest as she slowly came to the gravity of the situation. The woman held back a nervous laugh as Alice entered the room, raising her eyebrows in solidarity as May rattled on. Further mention of Angelo worsened her anxiety. She knew she was going regardless of whether Angelo wanted her to leave, but she had a feeling he'd tag along; he and May were a disaster waiting to happen.
Ailis wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 am
"Also, our charter plane leaves at 11am tomorrow, so you may want to get ahold of him soon."

BrookeDi wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:59 am
"I need a haircut," she announced to Sandy.

"Oh my god. Ok, so I'm gonna call Angelo right now." Sandy pulled out her phone. "Siri, call Angelo right now." As the phone rang in her hand, Sandra the Business Owner came out in full force, grabbing the poster from the counter where she left it and listing off a chain of commands. "Alice, you can follow me to the salon while I take care of business, and then, if all goes well, we rendezvous at my house in an hour to discuss plans. Got it? Ok. Hi honey! Quick update..."
Last edited by Moccasin on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ruler_of_Wolves
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Werebeast

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Ana was with a client when the mysterious flyer found its way to the gym window. She had noticed it but was too busy coaching her client to pay it any mind.
“I know you can squat lower than that!”
“I said push up not plank!’
“Come on! One more! ONE MORE!”
“Nice work today - see you next week.”
There was something satisfying about pushing people to their limits. Ana liked her job. The work was the same, but her clients always changed. Her real passion, however, was in dueling. Nothing was the same as facing an opponent head on, with only the skills you possess.
Ana wondered to the window after her client left. She casually read it…then she read it again, and then one last time. “Huh.” A whirlwind of thoughts ran through her head. She could already feel the rush of danger washing over her. A smile slowly spread across her face as she ripped the poster from the window. “I’m taking my lunch break!” she yelled to whoever was listening and took off sprinting down the street.
Last edited by Ruler_of_Wolves on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool at all. I mean, I had a mullet and wore parachute pants for a long, long time, and I'm doin' okay."

-Ellen DeGeneres

TheGreenerGrey
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Warrior

Post by TheGreenerGrey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:31 pm

A loud clang echoed out from beneath one of the many vehicles in the workshop, quickly followed by a cry of pain and annoyance as Angelo crawled out from beneath the car, rubbing his head and glaring at the tiny wrench in his hands with annoyance. For something so small, it hurt like a bitch. Grumbling to himself, he looks over towards where his phone was, its quiet ringtone beig what had distracted him in the first place.

Tossing the wrench up and down in his hand, he makes sure his fingers weren’t stained before picking up the slim device. A name with far too many hearts next to it was displayed above the answer call button, and he couldn’t help but smile past his pain at the image of his wife being displayed.

Picking it up, he presses the answer button. “Hey sweetie!” He greets happily, spinning the wrench in his hand. “What’s going on? Not like you to call when it’s not break.”
The past doesn’t define who you are.
It just... gives you the starting point for who you’re going to be. -Carolina, RvB

Moccasin
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

Post by Moccasin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:17 am

"Yeah, sorry about that." Sandra pushed the shop door open with her elbow. "Something came up. I'm gonna need you to drop by the house during your lunch break." After receiving the OK from Angelo, Sandy stuffed her phone in her pocket, motioning for Alice to follow her across the street.

"Alright. Make yourself at home." Sandy gestured towards the first empty seat, before turning on the vanity lights. The salon was empty save for Julissa, who was sorting nail polishes in the corner.

"What's all this then?"

"Julie, this is a friend of mine. She works at the menagerie across the street. I'mma be real with you, it's a mess today. Do me a favor and close the blinds?" Julissa scurried towards the windows. "Ok, let's play a game. Let's say, hypothetically, that something wild came up, and I have to drop everything because I'm going on a trip. What would you do?"

"I would ask for more information," Julissa replied coyly, hands resting sassily on her hips.

"Ok, you want more information. Let's say I was going on a trip to India for a very important reason-

"You're joking."

"You didn't let me finish. And I needed someone to run the shop for like. A month or something."

"I'll do it."

“You will? Really?”

After a lot of hugging and several Thank Gods, Julissa returned to prepping the station while Sandy hauled the styling cart from behind the counter. “Ok Miz Alice, tell me what you’re feeling.”

BrookeDi
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

Post by BrookeDi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 pm

Alice met Sandy's raised brow with a bemused expression. She was (mostly) used to Maybelle's ramblings, frequent tossing of hot beverages, and the other oddities the girl was known for. Mostly she was just glad that her monologue was directed at someone other than herself or the animals. Her expression brightened at the idea that she and Maybelle would not be wandering through the wilderness of India alone, though she wasn't sure she liked the way her boss counted their chances of success.

Only 3% increase from one person joining them. God, this was miserable. They needed a little more than that, and at this rate, they'd need at least 80 people going with them. The idea made her smile, and she realized she was ignoring what was going on, but she was vaguely aware of Sandy talking to her.

Right, the haircut.

"I'll be back, May." She called over her shoulder as she followed Sandy across the street, listening in while she spoke with her husband. Alice had seen the couple together; they were cute, and she hoped to find something like that one day.

Once inside, Alice perched on the indicated chair, watching the salon owner and her manager with some interest; who would be running the menagerie while they were gone..? She has a cousin who could maybe do the job; she'll run it by May this afternoon.

"I'm thinking... chop it all off," Alice said, decisively when Sandy was ready for her. "It's going to be hot, and my hair is just going to get in the way, and I think it's best to just... get rid of it all." She inhaled deeply, nodded, and let the breath out. Yes, that was the best plan.

Ruler_of_Wolves
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:48 pm

Ana sprinted down the street with the controlled speed of an athlete, scanning the buildings along the way.

“3442 Windenburg street…3442 Windenburg street…” She muttered, poster still in hand.

It didn’t take Ana long to hunt down the right address. She was certain that she had walked past it before. The trainer came to a halting stop in front of the Menagerie, taking a moment to collect her breath and calm the excitement boiling inside her. Even just the hint of a dangerous adventure was enough to get Ana’s blood pumping. She reread the poster one more time, ‘Help Wanted’ Ana was certainly ready to hop right into the danger…and help with stuff…What exactly was this this job? “Time to find out.” Ana grabbed the door handle and entered the store with an air of excited curiosity.

She was greeted by a bell as she opened the door, it caught her attention for a brief second, but then she called out a greeting. “Hello, I’m here about this poster that was in my gym window, something about help wanted?” Ana held up the poster as she spoke. Her posture was calm and poised, but her smile gave away her excitement and her eye her curiosity.
"What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool at all. I mean, I had a mullet and wore parachute pants for a long, long time, and I'm doin' okay."

-Ellen DeGeneres

Ailis
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Ailis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:46 am

Maybelle had situated herself behind the front desk when Sandra and Alice went trotting out of the door. She was slumped over the oak desk, her cheek resting in the palm of her hand, which was the only thing keeping her from slamming her face against the variety of notebooks, including a supply list, animal registry, and several pages with "make sure you do this today, Maybelle" scrawled across the top, that were spread out in front of her. There was so much that still had to be done before they left for India, and there wasn't enough time in the world to do it all.

The tinkling of a bell brought the young sorcerer's attention to the front door, and she immediately sat up straighter. "Welcome to Maybelle's Magical Menagerie, I'm Maybelle. What can I do for you today?" She was quick to say the rehearsed lines, but her normally cheery voice was more monotone than usual. At least, until the woman who had come through the door said she was there for the ad.

"Oh! How wonderful," she clasped her hands in front of her, smiling at the woman.

"We're going on a sort of," she paused, "search and rescue mission in India. It'll be very dangerous and it's very possible that you'll die, but we'll try very hard to prevent that from happening." Her eyes twinkled, taking in the sorcerer in front of her. She seemed strong. Maybe this whole mission would actually be possible.

"Would you mind just giving me your full name, gift, and any qualifications you may have?" Maybelle searched the desk in front of her for a few moments before pulling out a sort of application form, and handed it to the woman, along with a pen. "And make sure to sign the bottom just to make sure none of your family members decide to sue me or the business if you end up dying a horrible death."

Ruler_of_Wolves
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:41 pm

A search and rescue in India - how thrilling! Possibility of death - how exquisite! Oh she could already see the path of adventure before her! A real adventure too, not some hike through the woods. Ana had to take a deep breath to still her racing heart.

“Of course.” She replied in a professional fashion, taking the application form and pen. Ana Le Doux, fire, duelist/personal trainer. She scribbled down her information quickly, then chuckled quietly as she signed her name at the bottom. Her family wasn't really the suing type. In Ana's family you fight your own battles, and if you get yourself killed, that’s your own fault.

The Duelist handed Maybelle her application with a smile. “When do we start?” she questioned studying Maybelle’s face. She was very young to be starting off on some life or death adventure. Plus a menagerie wasn’t where most thrill seekers preferred to work. Who was it they were rescuing? Ana pondered the situation in her mind, not with any less anticipation for the adventure to begin.

-Ellen DeGeneres

BrookeDi
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

Post by BrookeDi » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:30 am

Alice watched the mirror intently as Sandy chopped off her hair. Then again, and again. Slowly she went up until all that was left on top of Alice's head was a head full of little curls.

"Oh my." It was the only thing she could think of to say as she stared back at her reflection. Her hair didn't look bad it was just such a drastic change from her thick, shoulder-length locks. This was best, though, wandering into a climate and environment of where they were headed. "Thank you," She told Sandy, numbly, paying for her haircut and waving to the other woman with a "see you later," as she dashed back across the street to the menagerie. Maybelle was in there, with another woman. Alice smiled at them both, then took her position behind the counter. It looked like they had another potential recruit, judging by May's expression.