Happy Summer Solstice, Collective! Or... is it? Did anyone else feel that?!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Lasers and Feelings [IC]

The realms with a strong focus on technology. These are the realms of Science Fiction/Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, and their ilk. Examples: Star Trek, Borderlands, Neuromancer.

Moderators: Dionysus [Rick], Hades [Forge]

Hades [Forge]
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Lasers and Feelings [IC]

Post by Hades [Forge] » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 pm

The Ancensionists aren't exactly your typical doomsday cult. Yes, they believe that life in the universe is ultimately doomed. Yes, they're pretty sure they have the answer. Unfortunately, rather than resorting to a targeted campaign of knocking on doors and handing out leaflets, the Ascension cult decided that the quickest route to salvation lay in embracing technology and slowly-but-surely overcoming the frailty of flesh with mechanical alternatives. Not a huge problem in and of itself, except for the fact that they have a "convert first, ask questions later" approach to bringing in new members. Roaming from planet to planet under the guidance of their Machine Priests, the Ascensionists were a veritable scourge for much of the last Century, abducting citizenry left, right and center until a series of pitched battles with the Consortium saw their armada driven to the outer systems.

For the most part, this arrangement has suited (almost) everyone. The Consortium protects its member worlds without the cost of a drawn out campaign, while the Ascensionists roam the dark places and only scoop up the lost and unwary to join their ranks. It's the sort of sacrifice that everyone was content to quietly ignore - except, the cult isn't being so quiet these days. Attacks on Consortium colonies have increased, and the Ascensionists are taking more than just people in each raid. Rumours abound of Machine Priests spotted close to the core systems, and of a great device being built in the outer reaches.

That's where you come in. The Consortium, concerned and under pressure from a slightly unhappy populace, have ordered Captain Darcy and the Raptor to investigate the cult and put a stop to their activities if he can. The mission was going well, too, until a psychic attack by the Something Else rendered Darcy about as much use as a sack of potatoes. Still - you're here, and you're passably qualified to carry out the job in his absence. Let's get to it, shall we?

Meanwhile, on the bridge of the CSS Raptor...
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Dionysus [Rick]
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Pirate

Re: Lasers and Feelings [IC]

Post by Dionysus [Rick] » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:32 am

Arnold sauntered over to his seat, a data pad tucked under his right arm and a cup of hot coffee shakily held by his left hand, grumbling something about how cold the room was as he placed his cup on top of the medical pod currently holding the body of one Captain Darcy.

“Mornin’ Darcy, get a good night’s rest?” Arnold chuckled as he took his seat, plopping down with a satisfying “Ah”, though he did find the feel of the cold plastic chair rubbing against his bare legs uncomfortable.

Arnold had made it a habit to get up early in the morning every day so he could have a moment of privacy with Captain Darcy as he read over some medical journals, woodworking articles, and tabloids about aliens taking human jobs in the core sector.

“I’ll tell ya, Darcy, it wasn’t like this back in my day, no sir, a man had a right to work and to protect his family, nowadays you have to move aside so some fish headed freak can take your job and you have to be thankful! I joined the force to keep good men alive, now these days I have to put neon colored guts back inside some cyborg cat like it isn’t completely unnatural…I tell ya, it isn’t like the old days at all,” Arnold sighed and changed the article he was reading to one about another Ancensionist kidnapping.

“Hrmph, buncha kids listening to alien music makes them turn into this,” Arnold smacked his data pad with the back of his hand,” Wanting to live forever, unnatural, Darcy, utterly unnatural.”

Arnold was currently wearing nothing but a white t-shirt with old coffee stains, tightie whities, and a purple bathrobe as he sipped on his coffee and kept talking to the unconscious Darcy.

“Psychic attack, hmm, what can I even do to help you all the way out here, Darcy, you sure didn’t make this easy, I mean, giving a spot on this ship to a bird with a gun! All this time in space has really screwed with your head, and the others aren’t much better. That crazy robot is going to snap any second, and the glob in the suit will be right behind him,” Arnold turned off his data pad and set it on top of Darcy’s pod, placing his hand on the cold glass.

“We really need you back, old friend, these kids are going to get us all killed trying to stop these goth zombies, and I am way too close to retirement, I won’t die out here, Darcy, I won’t.”

Athena [Georgeanna]
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Thief

Post by Athena [Georgeanna] » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:53 am

Joint Post: Brooke & Georgie

Little flashing lights blinked up at Nita cheerfully as she sat at her console, legs tucked underneath her. The signals glinted off of her shaded glasses as she flicked various switches to get diagnostics on the Raptor’s navigation systems, engines, and fuel level. She was quiet and meditative while she worked, having sat there for hours already. Sleep constantly evaded her, and the sight of deep space was her steadfast companion. Her chair was her chapel and the controls at her fingers were her religion. The pale spots on the Nychyon’s skin glinted softly, mimicking those on her screen, making the area directly around her glow a bit brighter with the diffused light.

Letting out a small sigh, Nita leaned back in her chair and went back to her contemplations. It hadn’t been long since the captain had fallen to some psychic hiding in the wings, and the idea concerned the alien more than she liked to admit. They were in the middle of a job, one that could change everything, and now? They were without a captain; not even a second in command had been named to take his place. Nervousness squirmed in the pilot’s stomach. If this failed, Nita would be without funds and employment. Reputation didn’t build itself easily, and she had hardly done enough jobs to justify anyone else hiring her. Returning to Nych was inevitable unless this mission went well. The stress ate at her calm, forcing her to guide her focus to the stars that surrounded the ship, twinkling obliviously to her worries. Finding no solace, she closed her eyes and paid attention to her breathing.

Sparky wasn’t particularly close with anyone on the ship. Now with the captain out of commission, her place on the ship felt even more uncertain. Their team was without guidance and she wondered if they had no one to lead them, would they be able to complete their job or would their team fall apart. Her thoughts had her wandering aimlessly through the ship. She wasn’t particularly close with anyone, no, but she rather liked being part of a team and trying to integrate into another group of people with so little experience…

The young woman ended up on the bridge and she spotted their pilot, looking deep in thought. Or, well, it was hard to tell with her sometimes. “Mind if I sit with you?” Sparky asked after only a brief (read: minute long) hesitation.

If she had been anyone else on the ship, Nita might’ve jumped at Sparky’s approach, but she had heard her standing there breathing quietly. So, it wasn’t surprising when the young adventurer finally spoke.

“Feel free,” she said with a quiet voice, gesturing an empty chair to her right without so much as opening her eyes. “Nice to speak to you again. I was concerned that the crew might be a little too rattled by recent events to socialize much.” The alien’s voice was melodic and calm, betraying nothing of her inner turmoil. She had learned to speak to humans quickly, though her voice still held its original accent, making the words sound more like a song than a statement.

She practically dropped herself in the chair beside Nita. The alien had a calming presence and Sparky liked listening to her talk. It always made it feel like things were going to be alright. “It has been rather quiet, lately,” she agreed. “I’m feeling a little… aimless, at the moment.”

“That tends to happen when decisions are to be made. This job has to go well, I can’t afford any other option,” the Nychyon replied, a slight urgency creeping into her voice.

“Neither can I,” Sparky said, eyeing one of the brightly colored buttons. How did Nita know which one to press? “I barely got hired for this crew and with no one to give me a recommendation…” She trailed off, staring at the different blinking buttons.

Nita opened her eyes, looking blearily over at Sparky. Exhaustion was overwhelming her; when was the last time she had slept? “We do have options, just a matter of time before one of them takes hold.”

“I've been thinking about them,” she said “our options. I wish there was more we could do than waiting, yanno.” she shrugged. “I think I'm just really stressed ever since it all happened.”

Letting out a soft chuckle, Nita smiled. “Yeah, stressed is a bit of an understatement as far as I’m concerned. I’m just hoping this all works out,” she said rubbing her face with one softly glowing hand. “I don’t have a contingency plan; this is the only one I can think of.”

Sparky laughed. It's not that it was funny, except that it kind of was. “It's a good plan, so it has to work.” Otherwise, they were out of options, and they both needed this. “It will work,” it was said with more confidence then she felt, but it couldn't hurt to have a little more confidence.

From where the medpods were housed, Nita could hear Arnie softly mumbling to Darcy. The words were distinct, but she did her best to avoid prying. All the noises in the ship made it easy, the Nychyon choosing to focus on the smallest of noises from the engine--the clicking of a single mechanism that kept rhythm. “At least one of us seems to be alright with all of this,” she commented. “Please tell me he’s not dressed in that awful bathrobe.”

Rolling her eyes, Sparky shuddered. “I walked by him yesterday morning and he was in there in his underwear beneath the robe. It is not a pretty sight. All that wrinkled old man parts barely covered. Ugh.

Śaraṯkṣati
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Warrior

Post by Śaraṯkṣati » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:24 am

“Rally to the crimson flag,
sons and daughters of So-Dhaat,
Raise the banner high and proud,
for victory draws near!”

It was game day in Sayiina Wu’s quarters.

Really, any day could be game day if Wu so desired: she had a veritable warehouse’s worth of maandhan games at her disposal, recordings of everything from legendary old tournament plays—fuzzy video and muffled audio of the sport’s most historic games, from back in the most rudimentary days of holorecording—to games she had grown up watching. Hell, she even had some videos of her own school tourneys, for when she was feeling particularly nostalgic.

But today was no ordinary game day. Today was special. Today happened only once in a crow’s sunrise. Today, the flight path of the ship and the timing of the tourneys back home had coincided just right for Wu to tune into a real treat: a live game. Not only that, it was So-Dhaat against Miriyun, and you had better believe Wu was ready to see So-Dhaat kick those hoity-toity, hifalutin, prissy northerners from one end of the field to the other.

“So-Dhaat, you’re the pride of the dunes,” she continued to bellow in time (if not in tune) with the field singers on the holoscreen. As she sang, she whisked over to the minifridge to retrieve some booze for the game, kicking the fridge shut and twisting the cap off the bottle. “And we know you’ll do us proud, when you charge onto the field—” The song, and her voice, reached a fever pitch of volume and enthusiasm. “—Do us proud, sons and daughters of So-!”

And then, just as she belted out the last syllable, she realised the din of the crowd and the harmonies of the field singers beneath her voice had vanished.

“Hey!” She whipped around indignantly, and found that the images of players assembling on the field and fans screaming for blood had vanished from the screen. Now, instead, the words ‘connection lost’ were emblazoned across it.

“Oh, come on,” she groused. She marched up to the screen, on the far wall across from her bed (for the rare occasion in which she felt like watching a game without leaping into the air whenever her favoured team scored) and gave it a helpful slap to the side. No dice: if anything, she almost thought she saw the letters on the lost connection disclaimer get bigger and brighter in defiance. Damn her homeworld’s abysmal, backwards interstellar broadcasting technology. Every damn advertising channel out of Azor comes through clear as a summer day, but I can’t watch a game without the alignment of the stars, a blood sacrifice, and written permission from the Consortium Chancellor, she thought, folding her arms across her chest and glaring at the screen.

When said glaring failed to get the universe to reconsider its apparent grudge against her, Wu sighed, and screwed the cap back onto the bottle. She’d have to wait, she resolved, until somebody back home, some saint, put a recording up somewhere in the murky corners of the space internet so she could download it. In the meantime, she’d just have to content herself with knowing that even as she set the bottle back in the fridge and made to exit her quarters, So-Dhaat was definitely kicking Miriyun’s ass. She’d made that prediction the last dozen or so times So-Dhaat had lost by fifty-point margins to Miriyun, but by God, she had a good feeling about this game.

And good feelings were in short supply nowadays, at least on the CSS Raptor. You could just about feel it in the air: folks had been apprehensive ever since the old bastard had gone and gotten himself psychic'd into a medpod. They were scared, and who was Wu to fault them for that? Darcy was their captain. To some, he was more than that.

Wu wasn't afraid, though. She'd been working with Darcy long enough to know it'd take more than this to keep him from leading them valiantly (some might say harebrainedly) into increasingly absurd and dangerous situations. He'd be back. Until then, they had a job to do, and the fact that it was a job which one scout ship manned by seven ragtag ne'er-do-wells was absolutely not suited for... Well, frankly, that only made the whole thing seem all the more fun to Wu.

The thought put her back in a good mood-- which was never far around the corner in the rare event that Wu was in a foul temper-- and she decided to resume her singing as she came to the bridge, as blithely out-of-tune as ever.
In the book of my heart, there is nought but you
In every word, every sentence, and every page.

wadjet
Scout
Scout
Class: Mage

Post by wadjet » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:12 pm

The soft clicking of claws on metal echoed down the corridor as the genetic experiment formally known as specimen VM-4291 paced back and forth like a caged animal. Which she technically was, but you’d be better off not telling her that. She just wished she had something to shoot. She didn’t do well with inaction, unlike some crew members who were fine caterwauling while their captain laid in a medpod.

And not only that, he was watched over by that… ‘doctor’ who reminded her of the men from pre-Darcy times. If it weren’t for him, she’d be in the medbay right now, waiting for the captain to wake up. Maybe she should anyways…?

Ugh. Pacing wasn’t helping, and not like she could get out and run off some energy. So with an angry shake of her feathered head, the small dinosaur turned one last time and made her way to the medbay.

She could hear the doctor’s voice, causing her to slow as she got closer, suddenly nervous. Without Captain Dad to stand between them, Indigo wasn’t sure if interacting with the man was a good idea. Her claws tapped nervously on the floor as she hesitated outside the door, before finally peaking her head in. “How is he…?”

Glassdoor
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Necromancer

Post by Glassdoor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Body of the military android detached itself from the repowering station with an almost inaudible hiss. Then, as all the systems were beeing booted up, Charles Vermington looked at the mechanical hand and tried moving it a bit. As the hand heeded the order, a large grin appeared on the android's face. "Oooooh, yeah, take that, Trigger! Guess whose turn it is! Charlie 1, soulless AI 0!" he shouted and started doing a victory dance. 'The score is actually 2376 to 2377, so I am still "winning".' Sounded Trigger's metallic voice inside of android's head. 'Though I do not see a point to this game. We have the same goal. I would not recommend such frantic movement of the right arm, either. The flamethrower has been rather senstive since the renovation.'

"Screw you, you won't take that moment of happiness from me.”, said Charlie, though he did stop moving and gazed cautiosly at his right hand. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, the android's smile grew even brighter ”Let’s see if everyone else’s day is going as great, eh? Raise the team spirit a bit.” He started walking towards the bridge, jumping slightly with each step. ”Who knows, maybe even the captain is out of the coma!”
'Doubtful. The coma has been induced by an unknown form of psychic assault. Recovery time impossible to predict precisely.
”Oh, hush, you! I’m trying to stay positive here!”
’... Our operating system’s electricity balance is very delicate. Too many protons would result in serious damages to our...’
”GAAAAAAAAAH, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT...”
Charlie stuttered as he entered the bridge, smiling awkwardly at his cremated. ”Er... I meant, good day to you all! Hope you slept well and, unlike me, do NOT hear any annoying voices inside your heads! Because while for me it is... Somewhat normal... For you guys it would mean a serious case of schizophrenia, and we would want NONE of that, would we? God, you guys are lucky you only hear Trigger when he's in control..."

BrookeDi
Member of the Month
Member of the Month
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 am

Joint Post: Georgeanna, Brooke, and Glass

Complaints about their doctor’s attire bubbled to her lips, but Nita withheld her opinion as more crew joined them in the bridge. People started emerging from the very walls, and Nita quietly observed the eclectic group that had somehow formed a team. She listened to Wu’s singing and smiled--human tunes never failed to lift her spirits. It was then, as she intently focused on the melody that the woman was belting in the bridge, that she heard the clanking of Trigger...or was it Charlie? She never knew, and always flinched with a bit of fear when not knowing who to expect.

Turning her gaze over to the android, it seemed that Charlie was in control today. His demeanor was markedly different than that of his non-human counterpart, and Nita felt herself relax a fraction.

“Morning, Charlie,” she said, lifting one of her hands.

Sparky was still smiling at their gentle mocking of the doctor when she, too, heard the sounds of the rest of their crew moving about. She didn’t miss the heavy steps of Trali--her little nickname for him, that she didn’t dare say to his face because she was slightly terrified of the duo--and the young woman shrank a little in her seat.

Not as observant as the pilot, Sparky raised a brow. “How can you tell?” She whispered to Nita, glancing over her shoulder at the two-in-one that was Charlie and Trigger, giving him a once over to see if she could tell the difference. She offered a timid smile, “Hey,” she greeted, not committing to a name because what if Nita was wrong?

“Oh, the difference is simple, really” Charlie smiled back at Sparky. “Trigger never uses this really expensive, expressive realistic face module. It looks as if someone peeled someone’s face off and glued it to a wooden doll. Er…” Charlie frowned a bit. “Sorry for that mental image. Also, he always turns off this.” The android pointed at his throat. “And he sounds like someone decided to scrape fingernails across twenty blackboards at once.” The latter part of the sentence was spoken in an extremely mechanical voice, completely wiped clean of any emotion. “Sounds awful, doesn’t it?” asked Charlie, once again in his own voice. “Oh, and good morning to you too, Nita!” He said, nodding towards the humanoid.

Nita smiled. That wasn’t the reason she had recognized it was him, but she was hardly one to correct somebody. It wasn’t the facial module, nor the voice mod, it was the way he carried himself, trying to be human in a body that was foreign to him. Her fascination was human behavior, when she wasn’t trying to avoid crashing the ship into an oncoming asteroid, and she had grown accustomed to each of the differences in the crew’s personality.

Great, now she was going to have nightmares starring Charlie’s Creepy Wooden Doll Face. Her timid smile turned into a thin line that could probably be interpreted as a smile in some worlds. Sparky made a mental note to figure out how the locks on her door worked. She still couldn’t figure out how Nita could figure out just by looking, but she wasn’t about to delve further into the idiosyncrasies of Charlie vs. Trigger. “Ah,” was all she said in response, unsure how she was supposed to respond to all that. Desperate to change the subject, she went back to what her and Nita had been discussing. “You know what a great morale booster would be?”

“Actually, as a team’s therapist and psychological evaluator, I have come up with several ideas. I’ve written them all down in my notebook, hold on… Trigger, would you mind opening the personal mechanical pocket?” ’It would serve no purpose.’ sounded Trigger’s mechanical voice inside the android’s head. ’The pocket is for military equipment only. I incinerated the notes since they hold no tactical advantage over any of the foes recorded in the database.’ Charlie opened and closed his mouth a few times and, after shaking his head with disbelief, turned to the others. “However, I believe it’s a better idea if we brainstorm an idea together! It’s team bonding mixed with cooperation practice! So many advantages!”

“Pool party!” Sparky suggested, eagerly. She’d seen the Onboard Aquatherapy and Marine Training Module, but unfortunately hadn’t given it a try, yet. This was the perfect opportunity. “Everyone loves a party,” she explained, holding firm to the idea.

The Nychyon had sat quietly, listening to the two of them excitedly chatter back and forth. She could hardly think of anything worse than swimming, all the water and...ick, but Sparky was evidently excited and Nita was looking for any excuse to think of anything else. “Sure,” she said, getting up leisurely and stretching her limbs like a cat in the sun, trying to not think about submerging herself in liquid. Pulling her hair up in a messy bun, and stumbling with weak legs towards where her quarters were, she chimed back “just going to get something more suited for water! I suggest you two do the same. Let’s call this an OAMTM party, shall we?” She raised her voice as she passed through the bridge, a grin on her face, hoping the other crew members would hear above the chatter.

Sparky brightened with excitement and ran to spread the news before disappearing off to find her own swimsuit.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Dionysus [Rick]
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Pirate

Post by Dionysus [Rick] » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Joint Post
Wadjet & Rick

“How is he…?”

Arnold looked up from his data pad only to have a face full of scales and sharp teeth jutting at him. His eyes went wide, but only for a second, the lizard Darcy had welcomed into his ship - a decision Arnold did not agree with - still managed to surprise him everytime he saw her. Every instinct in his body screamed out for him to get up and run, but thanks to hours of sensitivity training he had learned to suppress those urges whenever he came across certain species that were more freak-oid instead of humanoid. Everyone on the ship had acclimated well with the creature, but Arnold was a doctor, a man of science. This wasn’t a being that had come from a species that had evolved to sentience the natural way, the scientific way, this was an experiment. At any moment its mind could break, revert back to pure instinct and cut most of the crew down before one of the soldiers could stop it. Arnold became painfully aware that he had been thinking about all this for about thirty seconds while they sat in an awkward silence.

“Ahem, yes, well, no, actually...he’s stable, as it were, so in a way that’s good. Psychic attacks tend be be rather unpredictable, we are lucky he’s just in a coma, gives me a chance to study his condition without worrying about some other ailment,” Arnold’s tighty whities had ridden up his legs and he pulled on them to better adjust.

“Much better, now, uh, what did you say your name was? Ridico? Ridico Trouble? How did you come about meeting the good Captain here?”

“It’s Indigo. Indigo Danger.”

"Hm, yes, close enough," Arnold bumbled.

It’s a lucky thing that she didn’t really care about human notions of modesty or anything, or else she’d probably not even be having this conversation. Or anywhere near the “good” doctor.

She managed a shrug and a slight ruffle of her feathers. “It’s not that interesting of a story. Bunch of guys in uniforms were arguing what to do with me so he stepped in and offered to look after me and give me a job.”

“Hrmmph, that would be our captain, always helping out the underdog,” of course Arnold meant that as an insult, but thanks to his sensitivity training he now kept his barbs subtle.

“He caught you in a bit of trouble, did he?” Arnold rubbed his chin as he studied Indigo more closely, looking into her eyes, trying to see the intelligence behind them,” well, I suppose in a mission such as this a crea- a being such as yourself will prove useful, now, a man my age needs to do his daily exercise to stay nimble, so if you’ll excuse me i’m off to the onboard aquatherapy and marine training module.”

Arnold stood, picked up his coffee cup and stuck his datapad under his arm as he slinked off to his room to grab his swimming cap and speedo.