It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

A New Moderator Appears!
Join us in congratulating our newest recruit!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Endeavour Six (IC)

The realms with a strong focus on technology. These are the realms of Science Fiction/Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, and their ilk. Examples: Star Trek, Borderlands, Neuromancer.

Moderator: Forge

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Re: Endeavour Six (IC)

Post by Georgeanna » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 am

Sandy pressed her fingertips into Genesis’ shoulders. She was scared; that much was apparent, and Genesis would do whatever it took to make her safe again. His eyes lighted upon a man, sickly looking, and a woman who appeared tired and frightened herself. So they were survivors, but not doing very well. His backpack seemed to weigh more so on his stomach, the med kit and supplies making their presence yet again. Did he help them and risk running out of sustenance? Or did he leave them to fend for themselves?

All these thoughts ran through his head in a matter of seconds. It was the benefit of being a trained killer; you tend to size up your opponent quickly.
“Not against you, certainly not willing to kill you or that little girl.”
Genesis opened his mouth to respond, but the man before him seemed to collapse faster than a house of cards. A yelp resounded right by his ear, and without warning, Sandy jumped down and ran over to the collapsed figure. Eyes widening, Genesis chased after her. They hardly knew who these people were, it could’ve been a trap and now Sandy was throwing herself face first into it. Sandy, on the other hand, had no reservations. Something about all the violence she had seen today had overwhelmed her. She couldn’t bear to see one more person collapse in front of her.

Her tiny fingers wrapped themselves around three of Regi’s fingers. It was all her hand could wrap around, being so tiny as she was. Remembering the lullaby her father used to sing to her when she was sick, Sandy hummed while she held his hand. Genesis caught up quickly, and upon seeing relatively no movement from the man on the floor he looked towards the woman. She didn’t appear to be an overt threat, but one could never be too careful. Genesis laid a hand protectively on Sandy’s shoulder as he crouched with difficulty next to her, emitting a slight wince and setting his things down. His leg burned where the bullet had caught him and his shoulder stung where another had grazed it, but he’d be damned if he’d let Sandy sit next to this stranger alone. He kept a hand hovering near his machine gun while he pondered next moves.

“What’s wrong with him?” he heard himself ask, his eyes turning towards the woman yet again. There was no question that they needed help, and while there wasn’t much Genesis knew about medicine, he did have that kit in his bag. It probably would be of no help, but Sandy had already made the choice to involve them. The time for decision making had passed, now all he could do was play along and hope they didn’t get killed.

Fireynay
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Werebeast

Post by Fireynay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 am

It was only due to Alex's close proximity to Regi that allowed her to drop down and cushion his head before it cracked against the dingy concrete below them, leaving her crouched awkwardly behind him. The yelp that came from the young girl seemed to echo around the surrounding chamber, making Alex jump and bringing her attention back to the two strangers. She watched in dumbfounded amazement as the girl ran over, clutched at Regi's hand and began to hum, then turned alarmed eyes to her companion whilst shuffling into a more comfortable position and resting Regi's head on her lap. Her pistol dug into her hip, reassuring in it's presence but she didn't reach for it, at least not just yet.
"What's wrong with him?"
Alex bit her lip, eyes flicking breifly to Regi's still form before returning to Genesis, debating on how to answer. The soft humming once again permeating her mind and she took a deep breath, there was no reason not to tell the truth, "I-I'm not too sure..." she replied quietly. She shifted again, the rough concrete digging into her knees made it difficult to stay still for too long but with Regi's head still cradled in her lap she couldn't move too far. "He's been coughing a lot, sometime so much that he passes out. He hasn't said why."

Although still wary about Genesis' presence, Alex began to relax, albeit only slightly. She looked back towards Sandy, "That's a nice tune you're humming there, what's it called?"
Thank you Forge for the amazing set!

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:16 am

"I-I'm not too sure...He's been coughing a lot, sometimes so much that he passes out. He hasn't said why."
"
The news didn’t do much to help Genesis’ anxiety. For all he knew, this man could have some sort of contagious disease, and now not only he but also Sandy had been exposed. His teeth gritted at the thought of having dragged her into danger. Thoughts flickered back to a teenage girl, sitting next to him with a small smile and eyes just like his. A tissue was clutched in her hand, red dots and freshly powdered snow white contrasting with the yellow trim around the edges. Their legs dangled off the side of the building while she told him stories of stars and planets.

I’m fine Jenny, he remembered she’d said. Blinking a few times, he came to his senses in time to hear Sandy let out a little, choked sob. His eyes snapped to her in an instant, concern shooting itself through his system.

“It was Daddy’s song,” she said though not really answering the question, her lilting voice cracking at the end and fat teardrops making their way down her cheeks. She had been so strong, it startled him to see her start to break down. To say that he was unskilled in consoling others would be an understatement, so he looked up towards to the older woman with confusion shining through his eyes. He was hardly a man, and suddenly he was responsible for this whole other person. The weight of that responsibility began to settle itself on his shoulders while Sandy continued to sing her tune, this time with words.

“Sleep well my little bug,
stay in your bed all safe and snug.
I promise I’ll protect you, my little bee.
Scared is one thing you don’t have to be.
One day when you’re all big and strong,
don’t forget to bring your dreams along.
Tomorrow’s a brand new day,
but that’s a ways away.
So, night night my little butterfly,
dream big dreams and close your eyes.”

She ended the song and patted Regi on the head, then returned her hand to hold three of his fingers, giving them a light squeeze.

Fireynay
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Werebeast

Post by Fireynay » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:02 am

Alex felt her heart aching at the little girl's sobs, but she didn't immediately move to comfort her because she wasn't sure how her companion would react.
“It was Daddy’s song,”
The catch in Sandy's voice had Alex transferring her gaze from the girl to Genesis in time to catch the confusion in his gaze and suddenly she understood. He had no idea what he was doing. He was responsible for the girl but was clueless as to how to actually care for her. The melody washed over her, bringing tears to her eyes as she continued to gaze at Genesis, trying to convey in her eyes that she only wanted to help. Their connection was something she could understand, she had shared a similar bond with each of her siblings.

When the song ended, she turned her attention back to Sandy and moved forward to rest her arm around her shoulders loose enough that she could shrug her off if she wanted to, "That was beautiful," She said, "Your Daddy would be so proud of you. Such a brave young lady." Her eyes moved to rest on Regi's face, searching for any signs of returning consciousness but he appeared to still be out cold. She bit her lip, unsure on how to proceed now. There was no way she'd get Regi through the town and to the ship while he was still unconscious, but she also didn't have any medical supplies to help him in the mean time. There was nothing she could do except wait for him to wake up.

Still offering Sandy the comfort of an embrace she looked back up at Genesis, "Sorry we got in the way of your plans. Feel free to carry on your journey, we won't be getting in your way any longer." She hesitated, "Although, if you want some help or advice, I was practically a mother to my younger brother's and sisters, so I'm good with kids..." She trailed off and looked down at the floor, unsure whether she had overstepped her bounds.
Thank you Forge for the amazing set!