Let the GAMES begin!

Olympic Contest Results - Going live over the course of the week!

IC RPC Olympics - The Sprint! - Results are now up!

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Family Films

Where members can gather to discuss TV and film, past and present!

Moderators: Lumeus, Dionysus [Rick]

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Family Films

Post by Sammy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:14 am

As some of you may be aware ('cause I talk about them more than any grown up really should) family films are pretty much my go-to when I'm home alone. So while I'm definitely not an authority on the most impressive/technically perfect/profound/pretentious films out there, I like to think I am pretty clued up when it comes to the best of the best of family friendly movie entertainment!

With that in mind, I'm going to be using this thread to share my thoughts on family films, old and new. Feel free to jump in on the discussion or otherwise share thoughts and favourites of your own along the way!
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Family Films

Post by Sammy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:48 am

Zootopia

Okay, so this might be a little bit of a cop out because it's such an easy one to talk about but I've got to start somewhere, right?

At first glance you could be forgiven for rolling your eyes. There isn't anything new about talking animals trying to impart a life lesson or two to children - in the film world alone lots of us grew up with The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and the world has been obsessed with a talking mouse since the 1920s. While the concept may initially stink of standard, saccharine Disney, this film embodies everything we love about the Mouse House while also addressing and correcting areas where they've let themselves down previously. From the off, we're given a strong, stubborn, smart and fiercely independent female character who, in the face of constant stereotyping, refuses to conform to what's expected of her. In a world where young girls continue to worship the Disney princesses of olde with their prince-shaped end goals, Judy Hopps is such a refreshing female protagonist.

Perhaps this film's greatest strength is the way it uses fantastically animated animals to demonstrate the importance and value of difference. It's a film that deals with issues of sexism, discrimination, racism and political correctness with a subtlety that keeps it upbeat and family-friendly. If you're looking for the poster-child for kid's movies with modern, progressive morals, Zootopia is definitely a top contender. Throw in fantastic voice acting, brilliant writing, great animation and incredible characterisation (I can't think of another animated film with such a HUGE range of characters where each and every one oozes personality) and you have a fantastic 21st century kid's film that'll keep you every bit (if not more) as entertained as the kids' you're watching it with.

Nicodemus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Nicodemus » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Wreck It Ralph

One of my family's long-standing go-to's, Wreck It Ralph has an interesting premise and lovable characters. It's chock-full of video game cameos, including 8-bit references for us old-timers. The cast does a wonderful job, including one of my favorites, Alan Tudyk as King Candy (from Firefly and Zootopia). Building on Zootopia's theme of differences, the moral here is that being popular doesn't matter as much as building actual friendships, and again being different is okay.

Admittedly, I was sucked in just by the setting, having started gaming in the 80's (boy, it brought back those frustrating Q-bert days), but the theme and characters stand on their own.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:59 am

nickraborn wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:39 pm
Had to re-watch it this morning because of you! Such an awesome film.

Lumeus
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Mage

Post by Lumeus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 am

Someone says Family Film and my mind immediately goes to Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey from back in '93. When some of you weren't born yet...

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:11 am

Lumeus wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 am
Someone says Family Film and my mind immediately goes to Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey from back in '93. When some of you weren't born yet...
That's actually on my list of ones to write about in here. I absolutely love the Homeward bound films, the first one especially.

Nicodemus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Nicodemus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Jurassic Park

This is the big one for me. 7 years old, I bought my own theater ticket with saved change. Though the special effects still hold up today, it was nothing short of magical back then (only stylized computer animation had been used before). And as a young dino-enthusiast, to have such a thing brought to life the way Spielberg did made for what is probably my favorite cinematic experience. It also introduced me to Michael Crichton's novels. The morals of respecting nature and responsibility with technological advancements may be too mature for children, but man, what a movie.