[IC] Nick's Bar [Tavern RP - Always Open]

The realms where science and sorcery tend to exist in equal focus. This may also includes settings with only a few major differences from our world such as the existence of the supernatural. Examples: The Marvel Universe, Vampire the Masquerade, Supernatural (Series)

Moderators: Darkblade, Georgeanna

Martin the faithful
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Rogue

Re: [IC] Nick's Bar [Tavern RP - Always Open]

Post by Martin the faithful » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Andrew McGregor

Andrew looks puzzled for a moment then says, "I know what that is like. Just started at the college, I already know that Calculus is not my thing. My Dad wants me to be an Engineer. My Mom… Well, she just wants me to not get into trouble” Andrew chuckles and then smiles, ”I am looking for someone to train me. I came across this place when I was out prowling the neighborhood. It felt like the right kind of place to come to for that kind of help."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Adventurer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm

The five foot, thin, sky blue-skinned, humanoid amphibian peered through the worn, wooden door of the bar, dark green eyes peering around curiously. Since making his escape from the laboratory where his mutation had taken place, he had been wandering about New York, trying to figure out his next course of action, hence why he was here. The place seemed to beckon him, inviting him to come in, but he torn.
A cool breeze, sending a chill through the frog's unclothed body. Pushing the door open wider, he stepped through and let it slowly close behind. The wood floor felt somewhat alien, but warm underneath his five-toed feet. The pungent scent of alcohol nearly made him gag and stomach churn. He moved forward, gaze shifting from left to right as he took it all in. One of the giant TVs mounted on a wall caught his eye. Walking to a booth, he sat down and faced it, watching in amazement as the images moved across the screen. It was at a commercial break, advertising a new cell phone.

Martin the faithful
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Martin the faithful » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:24 am

Andrew McGregor

Looks gets a strange smile on his face and goes over to the amphibian and says, "Dude, looks like you have been having a rough day." Andrew suppresses the urge to chase the guy around the bar then says, ”Hi, I am Andrew."

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:42 am

Her attention was drawn to the door, not as a result of the man’s entrance which was certainly a touch on the dramatic side, but because of the sudden sense that they were in the presence of something truly ancient. The shade cast by one so old and so impressive was enough to make Willow’s fronds twitch with anticipation. There were old trees in New York of course, she had a few oak acquaintances who claimed they were pushing into their fourth century but this man, this creature made them look like mere infants by comparison. She watched him with unbridled curiosity, her mind racing with the thought of how many stories one would have collected over the course of so many years and with thick, sturdy roots that stretched off in so many directions that she could scarcely keep track of them.

Her heart sank as Roggi hurled a bottle toward their visitor, half expecting him to simply take offence and leave, all of his stories gone with him. Ancient trees, she knew from experience, for all the wisdom of their years could often be easily riled by demonstrations of disrespect and were not known for their propensity for forgiveness. She watched, with wide glowing eyes and baited breath as the wizard simply smiled at Roggi and offered a slight admonishment, her foliage rustled softly as she let out a gentle sigh of relief. The nymph watched as the man perched on a stool, felt her colour darken a shade as he acknowledged her with a smile and fought to find the right words to say. Willow had never struggled for words, if anything her struggle was with trying to reign in her words so as not to overwhelm their chosen target but this wasn’t just someone. To this creature, she was as much a Sapling as Wes and she was so desperate that he not think her unworthy of his time.

As her lips parted to deliver a greeting, the man turned his attention to Wes and the nymph’s posture immediately stiffened as a small voice at the back of her mind whispered ‘Mine’. It wasn’t that she had claimed ownership of the Sapling so much as she had gifted him, whether he liked it or not, her protection and guidance in Nick’s absence. How could a Sapling hope to thrive in the shade of such a being? How could there be enough leftover to sustain him so close to one such as this? Her eyes moving from Wes, to Max and back again, Willow hoisted herself so she was once again perched on the bar itself, not quite blocking the line of sight between the Sapling and the stranger, but certainly presenting herself as a considerable distraction.

“Have we met? Willow does not recognise you and would probably remember someone Roggi likes to throw things at,” she glanced curiously over her shoulder at the haggered, old elf before glancing back at Max, drawing her knees to her chest and resting her chin atop them as she regarded him with attentive, glowing eyes.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 am

The frog faced the two men and flinched back instinctively. The last time he saw humans was when he was captured and mutated, so he felt somewhat nervous around them. However, these two seemed...different. One of them introduced himself. Going with his gut, he replied, his squeaky voice somewhat high, "Nice to meet you, too. I'm..."
He trailed off. What was his name? Since one of the man told him his, the frog guessed he should as well, but what could it be. He didn't recall ever having one.

Martin the faithful
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Martin the faithful » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:22 am

Andrew McGregor

Andrew fights off the urge to make a cat joke, after all some amphibians can be posionus.
"How about I call you Mack right now?" Andrew says. Andrew says, ”I am new in town and you look like you could use a friend."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:05 am

Mack? That name didn't sit well with him, but he'd go with it, at least he heard of or thought of a name that suited him better. The frog smiled. "Thanks...Andrew."

Martin the faithful
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Martin the faithful » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:19 am

Andrew McGregor

Andrew says, "I know, not a great name." He pauses and looks at the frog the says, "The guy with the cane might be able to help you."
Last edited by Martin the faithful on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 am

"The guy with a...what? And, how did you know I didn't like the name Mack?" the frog inquired, cock his head to one side. Was it in his facial expression, or did he just...know?
Off Topic
What was the code for?

Martin the faithful
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Martin the faithful » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm

[ooc=color]color for my speaking. Something is off but I am on my phone.[/ooc]

Shea
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Post by Shea » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Amidst the usual turmoils and general cacophony of the bar Morgan made an uncharacteristically soft entrance. The only real sign of her moving through the growing crowd of oddities was the occasional flare of her telltale red scarf and the jangling boxes of liquor bottles held collectively in her arms. Deftly avoiding the few humanoids, a.. frog and numerous bar stools and other detritus in her way, the scarred woman plunked down the crate tower with a collection of audible clang-clangs by squeezing her way to the bar.

It seemed the Leaf-head and her new obsession was still there, she noted, as was Roggi and some other she’d seen the day before. Though there was one she hadn’t seen in some time. She sighed, and looked up towards the fantastically-clad man, and then groaned obnoxiously deep in her throat with a pitch that rose to a high note and then suddenly ceased.. before she sighed dramatically again and rolled her eyes. Picking a bottle haphazardly from the collection within the crate, she placed it down roughly on the bar.

"The Wizard,” she popped the cork off with a thumb. “Aren't you just.. a lot."

Martin the faithful
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Martin the faithful » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 am

Andrew McGregor

He watches Morgan coming through the bar with the crate and the exchange with "The Wizard." Not sure what the frog man wants or needs, Andrew excuses himself, then again resigns himself to his books and the most evil of things, calculus.

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 am

Adara slipped through the alleyway and tugged her bag tighter onto her shoulder. She spared a glance over her shoulder and let out a breath when she realized she was alone. The woman was slightly out of breath, but she was too nervous just to stop where she was. Taking one long, deep breath, Adara pulled the other strap of the bag onto her other shoulder, checked that they were both secure, and continued down the alley.

The other end emptied out into a busy street and she smoothly blended in with the crowd, and she had to work not to look over her shoulder repeatedly. When she felt for sure that she wasn't being followed, Adara crossed the street and headed in the opposite direction until she reached a quiet area of the city. The foot traffic was less than most areas, and most people just walked on by the place she was looking for without a second glance as if they didn't see it. Nick's Bar. A place she knew she would be safe, at least for a time.

Quietly the dark-haired woman slipped through the door and into the bar. It was pretty busy, but she found an empty stool and slid into it, hailing the bartender. While she waited for his attention, she took a few steadying breaths until her breathing was, once more, even.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:46 am

The amphibian let out a huff, slight irritation scrunching his pale blue face. Did that man just walk away from him like that? How rude! A bony, five-fingered hand curled a bit. He turned back to the television, but quickly lost interest in the show and stood. He started moving about, watching the many species interact with one other.
He came to a halt, a different sound catching his ear. Turning around, he made his way towards a large machine with a screen that showed a list of names. He had no idea what the words beside them indicated, so he stood there, listen to the sounds it produced, feeling somewhat more relaxed.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Post by Forge » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:25 pm

The Wizard lifted the drink to his mouth, holding the edge of the glass against closed lips for a moment as he took in the scent, before following up with a long sip. Nick's Bar was, in his opinion, something of a hovel - but there were some rare gems in its cellar, and indulging in them was a singular pleasure. If the venue had been a little more discerning in terms of clientele, he might even have visited more often.

Nicodemus wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:04 pm
"Nick--he owns this place--has been showing me some pretty impressive stuff. From what I hear, he's quite renowned in the magic circles these days."

"I imagine Nicholas is teaching you some very impressive tricks," Max chimed in, studying the contents of his glass for a moment before eyeing Wes over the rim. "One hundred and one ways to waste your talents making coffee, perhaps? Or the coin trick. Nicholas does love the coin trick." The coin trick infuriated him, not least because it was juvenile, but because Nick was freakishly good at it and none of them could figure out what he was doing that they weren't. Yet. "There are so many practical exercises you could be at, and yet here you are, tending bar while Nicholas --"

Sammy wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:42 am
“Have we met? Willow does not recognise you and would probably remember someone Roggi likes to throw things at,” she glanced curiously over her shoulder at the haggered, old elf before glancing back at Max, drawing her knees to her chest and resting her chin atop them as she regarded him with attentive, glowing eyes.

Max cut off as Willow levered herself onto the bar between them. The Wizard considered, very briefly, whether he'd been getting too heated in his commentary. It had happened before, and though he didn't consider himself to have ever been particularly cruel per se, people could be delicate about their feelings. He watched the nymph manoeuvre herself into position with inhuman grace, knees tucked up as though she were on the ground as opposed to perched on a wooden counter, and the beginnings of a smile tugged at the corner of his mouth.
"I'm sure the list of people that Roggi would enjoy throwing bottles at grows by the day." The wizard glanced back at the elf, who was staring back at him with unabashed dislike and a sneer that made his scars pucker hideously. Max rolled his eyes at Willow playfully, mouthing the word 'grumpy' and letting the smile he'd been holding onto come out properly. "You," he told her, "I would remember meeting. I've always found the forest folk to be a singularly clever and interesting people. And you're far from home, aren't you?" Max looked pointedly at their surroundings, the bar's interior as removed from woodland as one could get. "I'll promise that I've no intention of eating the boy, or something equally unpleasant, if you'll tell me how a Lady of the green places ended up here."

Shea wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 pm
"The Wizard,” she popped the cork off with a thumb. “Aren't you just.. a lot."

Max wagged a hand in Morgan's direction, his accuracy eery considering he didn't turn away from his conversation with Willow.
"You have no idea," he quipped, voice pitched for both her and the rest of the patrons before the wizard shifted his attention back to the nymph.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:13 am

The amphibian hummed along to the song, soprano voice an octave higher than the mail vocalist's. It was on pitch, with a fast vibrato and great control. Still, no one had come over to assist him. He knew he was in New York, but he didn't know what this place was. The frog caught little bits of people's conversations, most of it being about the drinks or what they did earlier before coming here. Figuring he should go to them and not the opposite, the mutant turned about and headed towards a row of rounded, four-legged things they were sitting on. Grabbing onto the edge of it, he began to climb on. Just as he was about to sit, the rickety stool tilted backwards and he fell to the ground on his back with a loud thud, the stool landing on top of him seconds later.
After a moment, his eyes opened and he blinked, snapping himself back into reality. The frog rolled out from underneath the stool and onto his hands and knees. Groaning, he slowly stood to his feet, pulling the wooden seat upright in the process.
'I'm going to be sore for a while,' he thought.

Nicodemus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Nicodemus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:51 am

Max blew out what little flame Wes had managed to kindle in defense of his teacher. The suspended coin was probably the most amazing thing he'd seen in his boring life. He was still baffled over countering the magic with his own power. And now this wizard was scoffing at it like it was a child's trick, like Nick had blown on his thumb and made his hat rise on his head.

He was both terrified and near fuming when he opened his mouth in retort...
Sammy wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:42 am
“Have we met?
He supposed he should be thankful for Willow's interjection. No mattet how off-putting the wizard's demeanor, he thought now with a chance to calm himself, it was probably best that Max stayed in a good mood. Wes did his best impression of indifferent and used his job--"tending bar," Max had named it like an affliction--as a means of retreat.
BrookeDi wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 am
It was pretty busy, but she found an empty stool and slid into it, hailing the bartender. While she waited for his attention, she took a few steadying breaths until her breathing was, once more, even
"Been jogging?" he asked, noticing a few deep breathes from the new customer, though Adara's attire might not have justified the question. Jesus, he needed to learn how to talk to people. "Anyway, what can I get you?"

SepticSirensUniverse
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Vampire

Post by SepticSirensUniverse » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:34 am

An unknown female vampire walks in, the vampire is clothed in black from head to toe and carries a black cross bow slung over one shoulder. The vampire removes her head and studies the room before her before mumbling quietly: "would someone be kind enough to guide me to the bar and hand me a menu?"

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:35 am

Adara smiled at the bartender. Here she could relax, here should take a breath. "Yeah, something like that." More like running, but semantics. "Can I get water as well as uhh, Dos Equis if you have it, anything light if you don't." She took a second to glance around her surroundings. There were some creatures she could recognize easily, the wood nymph for instance, and others she suspected of being magically inclined, but looks could be deceiving. She caught the frog that was almost squished but missed it pulling the chair upright, so she had no inkling as to whether it was just a frog.

"I was supposed to be meeting someone," she continued with the bartender. "Anyone arrive saying the same?" She didn't think she saw who she was supposed to meet, but as she didn't know what they looked like... The dark haired woman dug through her pockets until she pulled out her wallet, pulling out what she thought would be the right amount of cash for the transaction, readying to hand it over once her drink had been rung up.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:04 pm

The blue-skinned frog moved to the next stool and slowly climbed on, the wooden seat wobbling as he did so. Once seated, he turned and faced the wizard. "Excuse me, could you..."
The slight movement from him turning resulted in this bar stool tilting also, its occupant falling sideways and landing on another, which subsequently caused a domino effect.