Word Hurdles - Deadline: 15th August
The Triathlon - Deadline: 18th August
The Relay - Deadline: 26th August
The Marathon - Deadline: 31st August

IC RPC Olympics - The Sprint! - Round 3 Ends: 20th August, 12 GMT

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

[RPC O] The Triathlon [Open - 18th August]

Check out and participate in the current forum wide events and contests for accolades and prizes.

Moderators: Hades [Forge], Hera [Sammy]

Hera [Sammy]
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

[RPC O] The Triathlon [Open - 18th August]

Post by Hera [Sammy] » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 am

You have fared well, Collective. We have challenged your stamina and co-ordination, your speed and your agility but this time it is your versatility that we are most interested in. Can you adapt to swift changes in your environment? Can you overcome challenges that may not be in your comfort zone and make up the time in the areas in which you excel? I suppose time will tell.

Like the Olympic Triathlon you might be used to, this contest will be comprised of three individual challenges. Though, in this case, rather than running, swimming or cycling, you will be stretching your creative muscles and completing three separate and individual writing challenges, selecting a prompt from the list below for each.

The three parts of the contest are as follows:
  1. Write a letter, email or series of instant messages. These can be one sided (showing only letters sent from/to one character to another) or show an exchange of correspondence but must add up to at least 500 words in total.
  2. Write a short story. There is no required word count for this one but there must be a clear beginning, middle and end.
  3. Write exactly 100 words.

And the prompts you'll be choosing between are:
  • A world where you can buy bottled emotions.
  • It was bad luck, sinking an immortal at the bottom of the Hudson.
  • Testing the limits of the human heart.
  • Lost Gods make the worst hitchhikers.
  • Warning: You are about to enter someone else's dream.
  • It's much harder to deny something's existence after it's taken a shit in your favourite mug.
  • I sold my humanity to the highest bidder.
  • I panicked and told them I was proficient in blood magic, not expecting to get the job.

• All submissions must be made by the 18th August. You will be permitted to edit entries until the contest is closed.
  • You must complete all three elements of the Triathlon in order for it to constitute a contest entry.
  • Please submit all three parts in the same post where possible.
  • Each part of the contest must use one of the prompts listed above - please specify which.
  • You may only use a prompt once.
As with all of our Olympic events, every competitor will net themselves an Olympian title until mid-September - except for our top three, who earn an exclusive Gold, Silver or Bronze Medalist title depending on where they place. Oh, and lets not forget, a much needed medal for your team!
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Hera [Sammy]
Navigator
Navigator

Re: [RPC O] The Triathlon [Open - 18th August]

Post by Hera [Sammy] » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 pm

I am also considering adding these prompts to Prompt Club: Round 2 (largely because I really want to take them for a spin myself) so there is a chance that all participants will get an instant Round 2 headstart!

Ares [Darkblade]
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Necromancer

Post by Ares [Darkblade] » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:33 am

Well one part done, I'll put it here as an extra safety net. And edit in the stages as I go along.

First Stage A world where you can buy bottled emotions
20/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has connected to the server.

Needsitbad74 - You’re the guy right?

3mod3a13r -And what guy would that be?

Needsitbad74 - The emojican guy..

3mod3a13r - I can hook you up, so, what are you in the market for?

Needsitbad74 - It’s my uncle’s funeral next saturday, and well I hated his guts. Complete jerkface, but I’m expected to be sad he’s gone.

3mod3a13r - Ok, so you want to appear sad. Or are you going for something more exotic?

Needsitbad74 - Exotic?

3mod3a13r - Mania, Hysteria, there is more than one way to bone a chicken.

Needsitbad74 - What’s chicken got to do with it?

3mod3a13r - Nevermind, sadness will suffice I expect. Now some warnings before you try it.

3mod3a13r - 1) Do not spray Emojican directly into your face. Spray it on a tissue and sniff.

3mod3a13r - 2) It takes time to take effect, so do not expect instant results.

3mod3a13r - 3) Whatever you do, do not dose up till the effect has faded.

Needsitbad74 - Ok, so how much?

3mod3a13r - Ten large.

Needsitbad74 - Right, and what’s that when it’s at home?

3mod3a13r - $10,000 for 1fl oz.

Needsitbad74 - Seriously?

3mod3a13r - It’s not cheap to make, cash up front.

Needsitbad74 - Ok, I’ll send the money. Just show me where to put it.

3mod3a13r - I’ll send you the billing details on a secure channel, this is too public for that sort of thing.

Needsitbad74 - Good, and when can I expect it?

3mod3a13r - Three days after payment.

Needsitbad74 - Ok I’ll be going then, payment should go through shortly.

20/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has disconnected from the server.

29/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has connected to the server.

Needsitbad74 - I nede hell!

3mod3a13r - Did it not work?

Needsitbad74 - Cnt see at all, taers in my eyes!!

3mod3a13r - Ok, what did you do?

Needsitbad74 - I spryed it on my slevee amd sniffd

Needsitbad74 - Weighted bu noting, sp I chequed teh bttle an spayed muselg im the fsce.

3mod3a13r - So let me get this straight, seeing as your spelling is terrible. You didn’t heed a single one of the warnings I gave? Now expect there to be a solution?

Needsitbad74- I nedd hrl[“

3mod3a13r - I warned you that things would go badly if you inhaled it directly, and that it was very unwise to double dose. You should’ve given it time, there is no help. You will just have to wait for it to wear off.

Needsitbad74 - Byt! I peeled you!

3mod3a13r - You got what you paid for, it’s your own fault you didn’t follow instructions.

Needsitbad74 - Yoi dan’t leabe mq kile tjis!!

3mod3a13r - Not my problem, again, I did not tell you to spray it into your face. Quite the opposite actually, and I certainly did tell you to avoid dosing yourself twice in quick succession.

Needsitbad74 - I’;; chsrgevack my credit card!

3mod3a13r - You will find the money has already been moved, I’m not dumb enough to let myself be threatened with a breach of faith on payment for services rendered. Now I’ve better things to do than read your attempts to spell, you will just need to find another emojican dealer. Free advice, do pay attention to instructions next time.

29/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has been banned for 9999 years.

29/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has disconnected from the server.
Second Stage It was bad luck, sinking an immortal at the bottom of the Hudson
His vision was blurry, not from the blow that had laid him out. No, the reason for why he was finding it hard to see was quite simple. He was in water, a lot of water by the feel of it, chained to concrete blocks. Well that was just unimaginative, and very much an insult to his own love for unique experiences. Something this was not, though this time it would seem something thought to ensure the chains were properly secured. A shame as he rather not have to sit down here till his chains rusted away, or the concrete by worn away. And considering the water was pushing at him rather insistently that might happen first, so a river, well that meant the Hudson. Truly not an ounce of imagination, which was certainly going to irritate him to no end.

Well, that was just luck, or a lack of it. Oswel E Solan, one could say he was lucky to enjoy such a long life. He’d like to counter with the fact he was going to be spending a very long time pumping the Hudson out of his lungs when he did finally get out of here. And from previous experience, after the first week it was just annoying having skin fall off only to regrow. At least the last time the water was much warmer, and he had pretty fish to look at. Not the murky, cold, boring Hudson, he was in for a very bad time of it this time around. Deciding it was best to put his mind of it, he began to think back to how all this started playing the role of story teller to himself would at least waste some time.

This time around Oswel’s journey to getting a rather unwelcome bath was at least memorable. He had come to New York for pleasure, for the man who could never die ought to fit right in with the city that never slept. So he drank, he shot up, snorted, smoked, did things that would make an aged hooker blush and had worse done to him. He had woken up with a blazing headache, face down in the contents of what he hoped was his own stomach. He wasn’t even sure the room he found himself in was the one he was paying for, they all looked sort of the same while you were somehow alive and dead at the same time.

That was when a pair of gorillas in suits turned up, they dragged him through the hotel. Apparently they wanted him to understand what it felt like to be their knuckles, a bit of wit that went over their heads. Throwing him into the boot of their car, and made sure to drive across every bump they could find in New York. All so they could pull him out on a bridge, it was dark out, he’d really partied hard and missed the day. Dragging him along to meet their boss, who for some reason was going full mobster stereotype. Very cliche, and he’d already done it before. But the one thing he didn’t know was simply, what did he do this time?

In an expletive riddled rant, the boss spoke of how he besmirched the honour of his family. Some of the words he called him were certainly not nice, he couldn’t deny some did describe himself. He certainly had no idea who his father was, he’d be hard pressed to even remember what his mother looked like but he was sure they’d never had relations. Something this fellow didn’t seem to get as he constantly called him one that had a lot of relations with their mother, so he’d rolled his eyes and bit the bullet. As he rather not spend the entire night not knowing what reason he was here for, while correcting them on their description of his person.

He didn’t seem to want to speak about it at first, then blurted Oswel had relations with one of his family. At least the party had went well, very well apparently as it was the fellow’s son. Oswel batted for many sides by this point, so didn’t shock him, though suggested he had drank a bit more than was good for him. Either that or the son looked nothing like the father, hopefully was the case as going with a below five was just depressing to think about. He was then shot, well that was just irksome, and they found it rather shocking that he didn’t drop right away. So again and again they shot him, till finally the idea came to shoot him in the head. Which was lights out, or at least a long enough nap for them to chain him up and drop him off the bridge. So that was how he ended up in the Hudson, maybe they’ll drop a few more fellows in while he waited for his freedom. Give him something interesting to look at, as right now it was going to be a very dull wait.

Third Stage It's much harder to deny something's existence after it's taken a shit in your favourite mug.
It was another annoying day, discord hadn’t been that much fun either. Just the usual stupidity, couldn’t they just sit there and listen? but no, they didn’t want to hear about their problems. He was the worst of the bunch, always babbling about Chibi, and mehmoo? What did that even mean? Not like it was real, not like their problems. Time to drink more wine, the one thing that didn’t infuriate them. But when they turned to grab their favourite mug, they found Chibi sitting on top of it with it’s little trousers around it’s ankles pooping with glee.

“Mehmoo!”

TwisterZaraku
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Warrior

Post by TwisterZaraku » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 am

"Awaking the Thieving Gods"
A story in three parts
    Act I -- Lost Gods make the worst hitchhikers.
    AUTHOR: VICTUS, CAPT T. S.
    LOG TYPE: CAPTAIN PERSONAL -- VIDEO
    ASSIGNMENT: COMMANDING OFFICER - EPOCH MARS COLONOZATION 000-1
    • ENTRY DATE: 205418.7
      We've finally landed. Took us much longer than I thought it would -- or maybe it just felt longer. Still, the hardest part is finally over. All personnel have passed basic inspection with medical after entering the atmosphere and we're good-to-go.
      It seems it's finally time to get that settlement started. Almost felt like a dream that would never be realized. The engineers have calculated we should be able to get everything set up within 8 months, so the sooner, the better. Mars...
      ... Well, let's build a planet.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205505.1
      Less than six months to set up the living and agricultural domes, which puts us ahead-of-schedule by more than two. Morale is sky-rocketing, and it's affecting each of us. There's something surreal about creating a world from scratch... Even if I had time to search for the words, I'm sure I'd wind up flat. It's beautiful, here.. The dusty terrain and butterscotch sky are foreign, that's true, but it still feels strangely familiar. In the early morning, we can catch the sun rising, and the sky turns a bright blue. I have to admit, the place is growing on me. Starting to feel like home.
      Tomorrow we send our first crew out to start the reforesting efforts outside of the domes. Time to see if the guys in the lab know what they were talking about and all of this pays off. Let's get started on the reason they sent us here.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205520.1
      The reforesting scouts returned and believe they've found the remains of Curiosity! They picked up a glittering object about 50 kilometers away from our settlement on their radars, so we're going to send a crew to retrieve what they found. What an exciting thing to discovery so quickly! Hopefullly we can retrieve any soil it collected during its lifespan to save us a bit of hassle of knowing what's around here, exactly.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205511.2
      ... it wasn’t the rover. It... I... Even after having time to process it, I still can't believe it...
      It was kosmonaut wreckage from nearly 100 years ago... Here's the flag discovered at the site. A fucking Soviet flag...
      The Soviets won the space race... why the hell did they keep it a secret?
      We’re going to send an excavation squad to see what we can find. There were signs of scavangeing, so we're hoping they find information on what could have happened there.
      ... It just doesn't make any sense.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205521.2
      We’ve lost contact with the crew... God, damnit.
      After a heated debate among the settlers, it was decided to send a rescue squad to see if they perhaps fell or got stuck out of range of our radios.. Either scenario is a likely situation to have happened. It's starting to get hard to keep everyone calm... Myself, included.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205528.2
      The rescue squad came back, today. They managed to find all of the crew alive, but..
      Well... the guys in medical explain it as, 'they’ve suffered some sort of psyche break'.. they’re conscious but entirely unresponsive. For now, I’m keeping my eyes on them. I have them in the medical bays to get evaluated, but the good news is they're back. Morale is back on the rise, though concern is rampant.
      We're curious to know what they found in the wreckage...
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205502.4
      It has been a month and still, no response out of the excavation crew... The growing concern, now, is if it's some sort of disease, because their catatonic personality seems to have passed on to other individuals.. Working with medical now to see if we can find anything out. For now, they're going to quarantine the affected persons until they can determine if this is a transmutable pathogen.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205503.4
      Distress signal sent
      Distress signal sent
      They're here... We disturbed them and they followed us home... First they took the bodies then... Then they took everything else... There's no one left.. Please.. Send h----
      They have a vessel suitable for travel.
      We can claim this species for the Covenant---
      There's one remaining.
      Take him.

OH GOD NO!!!
    END OF DIRECTORY
    Act II -- It's much harder to deny something's existence after it's taken a shit in your favorite mug.
    By the time the world decided to pay attention to the Thieving Gods, they had already stolen humanity. It was easier to ignore them when it seemed far away and isolated. "Those poor Epoch settlers," they would say. "We hope everything is alright." Either through the search for comfort or pure ignorance, they simply didn't see them coming.

Taking King George was only the first of their many thefts, but it made the heaviest impact. It was subtle, and many didn't realize at first. But I did. I scrutinized the video my father sent home of that fateful day.. It wasn't easy for me to ignore. Even my sick mother could realize the looming danger coming from the stars..

They started with the politicians, in the early days. The leaders, rulers and kings. One by one, they stole them, until we all were left scrambling and scared. After that step, harvesting the rest was easy for them. They reaped us fully until we were husks of our former selves... Now there are so few left of us...

They don't kill you -- at least not here, not in front of us. They take everything you are. Your body, your mind, your spirit. From what the few who remain seem to gather, it's because they want it. They sell our emotions to the highest bidder and pluck our memories to live for themselves. This... species.. these aliens... These Gods, as they call themselves.. they're devoid of anything remotely human. Nothing about them resembles humanity... perhaps that's why they wanted it for themselves?

Despite their subtly, the world let themselves be taken. Even after everyone's favorite king was stolen, it still took too long to realize their advance... But I.. I can stop it all. The fate of humanity rests in my hands... And mine alone. I have the codes... I have the remote... I can end it. I just need to let them capture me...

A suicidal plan, but if I can just maintain myself.. If I can just keep who I am... then maybe there's a chance we can take back our humanity.

It's up to me...

Let's save a planet.
    Act III -- A world where you can buy bottled emotions.
    beep..
    beep..
    beep..
    beep..

.... what?

beep
    beep
    beep

.... My heartbeat?..

Beep
    Beep

My eyes won’t open...

Beep!
    Beep!
    Beep!

... straps?

BEEP
    BEEP

I can't move...

BEEP!!
    BEEP!!

I’m scared..!!

BEE----...
    beep..

Oh. That’s better.

beep..

I feel nothing.

beep..
    beep..
    beep..
    beep..

... where was I?

beep..

Before..

beep..
    beep..

Am I needed?

beep
    Beep!
    BEEP!!

That's right...! The nukes!

BEE--...
    beep..

Oh.

beep..
    beep..

That’s better.

beep..
    beep..
    beep..

You know..

Beep!

This may be a blessing.

Beep!

If I'm really about to die..

Beep!

Then it's finally over!

Beep!
    Bee--...
    beeeewwww..........

Oh...

------
    -----

That’s worse..

----
    ---

Much worse....

--
    -

............help....

E X T R A C T I O N .C O M P L E T E.
    Last edited by TwisterZaraku on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
    Team Poseidon

we made a Naruto story, cuz we're basic bitches awesum
    Written by TwisterZaraku and Kiryuku
    www.naruto-junishi.com

Hera [Sammy]
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hera [Sammy] » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:14 pm

Team Poseidon, always the first to start but I wonder who will be first to finish.

Hera [Sammy]
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hera [Sammy] » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:55 pm

A little less than two weeks to go, folks.