It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

A New Moderator Appears!
Join us in congratulating our newest recruit!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

[RPC O] The Triathlon [Closed]

This section is for all completed contests.

Moderators: Forge, Sammy

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

[RPC O] The Triathlon [Closed]

Post by Sammy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 am

You have fared well, Collective. We have challenged your stamina and co-ordination, your speed and your agility but this time it is your versatility that we are most interested in. Can you adapt to swift changes in your environment? Can you overcome challenges that may not be in your comfort zone and make up the time in the areas in which you excel? I suppose time will tell.

Like the Olympic Triathlon you might be used to, this contest will be comprised of three individual challenges. Though, in this case, rather than running, swimming or cycling, you will be stretching your creative muscles and completing three separate and individual writing challenges, selecting a prompt from the list below for each.

The three parts of the contest are as follows:
  1. Write a letter, email or series of instant messages. These can be one sided (showing only letters sent from/to one character to another) or show an exchange of correspondence but must add up to at least 500 words in total.
  2. Write a short story. There is no required word count for this one but there must be a clear beginning, middle and end.
  3. Write exactly 100 words.

And the prompts you'll be choosing between are:
  • A world where you can buy bottled emotions.
  • It was bad luck, sinking an immortal at the bottom of the Hudson.
  • Testing the limits of the human heart.
  • Lost Gods make the worst hitchhikers.
  • Warning: You are about to enter someone else's dream.
  • It's much harder to deny something's existence after it's taken a shit in your favourite mug.
  • I sold my humanity to the highest bidder.
  • I panicked and told them I was proficient in blood magic, not expecting to get the job.

• All submissions must be made by the 18th August. You will be permitted to edit entries until the contest is closed.
  • You must complete all three elements of the Triathlon in order for it to constitute a contest entry.
  • Please submit all three parts in the same post where possible.
  • Each part of the contest must use one of the prompts listed above - please specify which.
  • You may only use a prompt once.
As with all of our Olympic events, every competitor will net themselves an Olympian title until mid-September - except for our top three, who earn an exclusive Gold, Silver or Bronze Medalist title depending on where they place. Oh, and lets not forget, a much needed medal for your team!
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: [RPC O] The Triathlon [Open - 18th August]

Post by Sammy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 pm

I am also considering adding these prompts to Prompt Club: Round 2 (largely because I really want to take them for a spin myself) so there is a chance that all participants will get an instant Round 2 headstart!

Darkblade
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Post by Darkblade » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:33 am

Well one part done, I'll put it here as an extra safety net. And edit in the stages as I go along.

First Stage A world where you can buy bottled emotions
20/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has connected to the server.

Needsitbad74 - You’re the guy right?

3mod3a13r -And what guy would that be?

Needsitbad74 - The emojican guy..

3mod3a13r - I can hook you up, so, what are you in the market for?

Needsitbad74 - It’s my uncle’s funeral next saturday, and well I hated his guts. Complete jerkface, but I’m expected to be sad he’s gone.

3mod3a13r - Ok, so you want to appear sad. Or are you going for something more exotic?

Needsitbad74 - Exotic?

3mod3a13r - Mania, Hysteria, there is more than one way to bone a chicken.

Needsitbad74 - What’s chicken got to do with it?

3mod3a13r - Nevermind, sadness will suffice I expect. Now some warnings before you try it.

3mod3a13r - 1) Do not spray Emojican directly into your face. Spray it on a tissue and sniff.

3mod3a13r - 2) It takes time to take effect, so do not expect instant results.

3mod3a13r - 3) Whatever you do, do not dose up till the effect has faded.

Needsitbad74 - Ok, so how much?

3mod3a13r - Ten large.

Needsitbad74 - Right, and what’s that when it’s at home?

3mod3a13r - $10,000 for 1fl oz.

Needsitbad74 - Seriously?

3mod3a13r - It’s not cheap to make, cash up front.

Needsitbad74 - Ok, I’ll send the money. Just show me where to put it.

3mod3a13r - I’ll send you the billing details on a secure channel, this is too public for that sort of thing.

Needsitbad74 - Good, and when can I expect it?

3mod3a13r - Three days after payment.

Needsitbad74 - Ok I’ll be going then, payment should go through shortly.

20/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has disconnected from the server.

29/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has connected to the server.

Needsitbad74 - I nede hell!

3mod3a13r - Did it not work?

Needsitbad74 - Cnt see at all, taers in my eyes!!

3mod3a13r - Ok, what did you do?

Needsitbad74 - I spryed it on my slevee amd sniffd

Needsitbad74 - Weighted bu noting, sp I chequed teh bttle an spayed muselg im the fsce.

3mod3a13r - So let me get this straight, seeing as your spelling is terrible. You didn’t heed a single one of the warnings I gave? Now expect there to be a solution?

Needsitbad74- I nedd hrl[“

3mod3a13r - I warned you that things would go badly if you inhaled it directly, and that it was very unwise to double dose. You should’ve given it time, there is no help. You will just have to wait for it to wear off.

Needsitbad74 - Byt! I peeled you!

3mod3a13r - You got what you paid for, it’s your own fault you didn’t follow instructions.

Needsitbad74 - Yoi dan’t leabe mq kile tjis!!

3mod3a13r - Not my problem, again, I did not tell you to spray it into your face. Quite the opposite actually, and I certainly did tell you to avoid dosing yourself twice in quick succession.

Needsitbad74 - I’;; chsrgevack my credit card!

3mod3a13r - You will find the money has already been moved, I’m not dumb enough to let myself be threatened with a breach of faith on payment for services rendered. Now I’ve better things to do than read your attempts to spell, you will just need to find another emojican dealer. Free advice, do pay attention to instructions next time.

29/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has been banned for 9999 years.

29/7/2018 Needsitbad74 has disconnected from the server.
Second Stage It was bad luck, sinking an immortal at the bottom of the Hudson
His vision was blurry, not from the blow that had laid him out. No, the reason for why he was finding it hard to see was quite simple. He was in water, a lot of water by the feel of it, chained to concrete blocks. Well that was just unimaginative, and very much an insult to his own love for unique experiences. Something this was not, though this time it would seem something thought to ensure the chains were properly secured. A shame as he rather not have to sit down here till his chains rusted away, or the concrete by worn away. And considering the water was pushing at him rather insistently that might happen first, so a river, well that meant the Hudson. Truly not an ounce of imagination, which was certainly going to irritate him to no end.

Well, that was just luck, or a lack of it. Oswel E Solan, one could say he was lucky to enjoy such a long life. He’d like to counter with the fact he was going to be spending a very long time pumping the Hudson out of his lungs when he did finally get out of here. And from previous experience, after the first week it was just annoying having skin fall off only to regrow. At least the last time the water was much warmer, and he had pretty fish to look at. Not the murky, cold, boring Hudson, he was in for a very bad time of it this time around. Deciding it was best to put his mind of it, he began to think back to how all this started playing the role of story teller to himself would at least waste some time.

This time around Oswel’s journey to getting a rather unwelcome bath was at least memorable. He had come to New York for pleasure, for the man who could never die ought to fit right in with the city that never slept. So he drank, he shot up, snorted, smoked, did things that would make an aged hooker blush and had worse done to him. He had woken up with a blazing headache, face down in the contents of what he hoped was his own stomach. He wasn’t even sure the room he found himself in was the one he was paying for, they all looked sort of the same while you were somehow alive and dead at the same time.

That was when a pair of gorillas in suits turned up, they dragged him through the hotel. Apparently they wanted him to understand what it felt like to be their knuckles, a bit of wit that went over their heads. Throwing him into the boot of their car, and made sure to drive across every bump they could find in New York. All so they could pull him out on a bridge, it was dark out, he’d really partied hard and missed the day. Dragging him along to meet their boss, who for some reason was going full mobster stereotype. Very cliche, and he’d already done it before. But the one thing he didn’t know was simply, what did he do this time?

In an expletive riddled rant, the boss spoke of how he besmirched the honour of his family. Some of the words he called him were certainly not nice, he couldn’t deny some did describe himself. He certainly had no idea who his father was, he’d be hard pressed to even remember what his mother looked like but he was sure they’d never had relations. Something this fellow didn’t seem to get as he constantly called him one that had a lot of relations with their mother, so he’d rolled his eyes and bit the bullet. As he rather not spend the entire night not knowing what reason he was here for, while correcting them on their description of his person.

He didn’t seem to want to speak about it at first, then blurted Oswel had relations with one of his family. At least the party had went well, very well apparently as it was the fellow’s son. Oswel batted for many sides by this point, so didn’t shock him, though suggested he had drank a bit more than was good for him. Either that or the son looked nothing like the father, hopefully was the case as going with a below five was just depressing to think about. He was then shot, well that was just irksome, and they found it rather shocking that he didn’t drop right away. So again and again they shot him, till finally the idea came to shoot him in the head. Which was lights out, or at least a long enough nap for them to chain him up and drop him off the bridge. So that was how he ended up in the Hudson, maybe they’ll drop a few more fellows in while he waited for his freedom. Give him something interesting to look at, as right now it was going to be a very dull wait.

Third Stage It's much harder to deny something's existence after it's taken a shit in your favourite mug.
It was another annoying day, discord hadn’t been that much fun either. Just the usual stupidity, couldn’t they just sit there and listen? but no, they didn’t want to hear about their problems. He was the worst of the bunch, always babbling about Chibi, and mehmoo? What did that even mean? Not like it was real, not like their problems. Time to drink more wine, the one thing that didn’t infuriate them. But when they turned to grab their favourite mug, they found Chibi sitting on top of it with it’s little trousers around it’s ankles pooping with glee.

“Mehmoo!”

TwisterZaraku
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Warrior

Post by TwisterZaraku » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 am

"Awaking the Thieving Gods"
A story in three parts
    Act I -- Lost Gods make the worst hitchhikers.
    AUTHOR: VICTUS, CAPT T. S.
    LOG TYPE: CAPTAIN PERSONAL -- VIDEO
    ASSIGNMENT: COMMANDING OFFICER - EPOCH MARS COLONOZATION 000-1
    • ENTRY DATE: 205418.7
      We've finally landed. Took us much longer than I thought it would -- or maybe it just felt longer. Still, the hardest part is finally over. All personnel have passed basic inspection with medical after entering the atmosphere and we're good-to-go.
      It seems it's finally time to get that settlement started. Almost felt like a dream that would never be realized. The engineers have calculated we should be able to get everything set up within 8 months, so the sooner, the better. Mars...
      ... Well, let's build a planet.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205505.1
      Less than six months to set up the living and agricultural domes, which puts us ahead-of-schedule by more than two. Morale is sky-rocketing, and it's affecting each of us. There's something surreal about creating a world from scratch... Even if I had time to search for the words, I'm sure I'd wind up flat. It's beautiful, here.. The dusty terrain and butterscotch sky are foreign, that's true, but it still feels strangely familiar. In the early morning, we can catch the sun rising, and the sky turns a bright blue. I have to admit, the place is growing on me. Starting to feel like home.
      Tomorrow we send our first crew out to start the reforesting efforts outside of the domes. Time to see if the guys in the lab know what they were talking about and all of this pays off. Let's get started on the reason they sent us here.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205520.1
      The reforesting scouts returned and believe they've found the remains of Curiosity! They picked up a glittering object about 50 kilometers away from our settlement on their radars, so we're going to send a crew to retrieve what they found. What an exciting thing to discovery so quickly! Hopefullly we can retrieve any soil it collected during its lifespan to save us a bit of hassle of knowing what's around here, exactly.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205511.2
      ... it wasn’t the rover. It... I... Even after having time to process it, I still can't believe it...
      It was kosmonaut wreckage from nearly 100 years ago... Here's the flag discovered at the site. A fucking Soviet flag...
      The Soviets won the space race... why the hell did they keep it a secret?
      We’re going to send an excavation squad to see what we can find. There were signs of scavangeing, so we're hoping they find information on what could have happened there.
      ... It just doesn't make any sense.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205521.2
      We’ve lost contact with the crew... God, damnit.
      After a heated debate among the settlers, it was decided to send a rescue squad to see if they perhaps fell or got stuck out of range of our radios.. Either scenario is a likely situation to have happened. It's starting to get hard to keep everyone calm... Myself, included.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205528.2
      The rescue squad came back, today. They managed to find all of the crew alive, but..
      Well... the guys in medical explain it as, 'they’ve suffered some sort of psyche break'.. they’re conscious but entirely unresponsive. For now, I’m keeping my eyes on them. I have them in the medical bays to get evaluated, but the good news is they're back. Morale is back on the rise, though concern is rampant.
      We're curious to know what they found in the wreckage...
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205502.4
      It has been a month and still, no response out of the excavation crew... The growing concern, now, is if it's some sort of disease, because their catatonic personality seems to have passed on to other individuals.. Working with medical now to see if we can find anything out. For now, they're going to quarantine the affected persons until they can determine if this is a transmutable pathogen.
      END LOG
    • ENTRY DATE: 205503.4
      Distress signal sent
      Distress signal sent
      They're here... We disturbed them and they followed us home... First they took the bodies then... Then they took everything else... There's no one left.. Please.. Send h----
      They have a vessel suitable for travel.
      We can claim this species for the Covenant---
      There's one remaining.
      Take him.

OH GOD NO!!!
    END OF DIRECTORY
    Act II -- It's much harder to deny something's existence after it's taken a shit in your favorite mug.
    By the time the world decided to pay attention to the Thieving Gods, they had already stolen humanity. It was easier to ignore them when it seemed far away and isolated. "Those poor Epoch settlers," they would say. "We hope everything is alright." Either through the search for comfort or pure ignorance, they simply didn't see them coming.

Taking King George was only the first of their many thefts, but it made the heaviest impact. It was subtle, and many didn't realize at first. But I did. I scrutinized the video my father sent home of that fateful day.. It wasn't easy for me to ignore. Even my sick mother could realize the looming danger coming from the stars..

They started with the politicians, in the early days. The leaders, rulers and kings. One by one, they stole them, until we all were left scrambling and scared. After that step, harvesting the rest was easy for them. They reaped us fully until we were husks of our former selves... Now there are so few left of us...

They don't kill you -- at least not here, not in front of us. They take everything you are. Your body, your mind, your spirit. From what the few who remain seem to gather, it's because they want it. They sell our emotions to the highest bidder and pluck our memories to live for themselves. This... species.. these aliens... These Gods, as they call themselves.. they're devoid of anything remotely human. Nothing about them resembles humanity... perhaps that's why they wanted it for themselves?

Despite their subtly, the world let themselves be taken. Even after everyone's favorite king was stolen, it still took too long to realize their advance... But I.. I can stop it all. The fate of humanity rests in my hands... And mine alone. I have the codes... I have the remote... I can end it. I just need to let them capture me...

A suicidal plan, but if I can just maintain myself.. If I can just keep who I am... then maybe there's a chance we can take back our humanity.

It's up to me...

Let's save a planet.
    Act III -- A world where you can buy bottled emotions.
    beep..
    beep..
    beep..
    beep..

.... what?

beep
    beep
    beep

.... My heartbeat?..

Beep
    Beep

My eyes won’t open...

Beep!
    Beep!
    Beep!

... straps?

BEEP
    BEEP

I can't move...

BEEP!!
    BEEP!!

I’m scared..!!

BEE----...
    beep..

Oh. That’s better.

beep..

I feel nothing.

beep..
    beep..
    beep..
    beep..

... where was I?

beep..

Before..

beep..
    beep..

Am I needed?

beep
    Beep!
    BEEP!!

That's right...! The nukes!

BEE--...
    beep..

Oh.

beep..
    beep..

That’s better.

beep..
    beep..
    beep..

You know..

Beep!

This may be a blessing.

Beep!

If I'm really about to die..

Beep!

Then it's finally over!

Beep!
    Bee--...
    beeeewwww..........

Oh...

------
    -----

That’s worse..

----
    ---

Much worse....

--
    -

............help....

E X T R A C T I O N .C O M P L E T E.
    Last edited by TwisterZaraku on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
    Team Poseidon

we made a Naruto story, cuz we're basic bitches awesum
    Written by TwisterZaraku and Kiryuku
    www.naruto-junishi.com

Sammy
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Sammy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:14 pm

Team Poseidon, always the first to start but I wonder who will be first to finish.

Sammy
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Sammy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:55 pm

A little less than two weeks to go, folks.

Georgeanna
    Journeyman
    Journeyman
    Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 am

Element 1
    I sold my humanity to the highest bidder.
    Dear Dad,

Do you remember that place you always used to take me? That little arcade filled to the brim with blinking boxes and zooming mini-carts was our oasis in the midst of the constant fire of ongoing battle. I never knew quite how a General on one side of the war could take a break and go play video games and mini golf with his daughter, but there you were all the same--never betraying the strain it likely was to you. I’m sorry I was too young to realize that; the zipping of lights and the pinging noises stole my attention away from you.

We carried on in a toxic cycle for a while, trapped in the arcade even though we weren’t physically there. You took me to tourist stop after amusement park after tourist stop, and yet I never got to see the person whom I was trying to get to know. I’m so happy we fixed that, you know, set aside our pride for a moment, yelled at each other for a few more, and then decided that our communication wasn’t right. I wanted a dad, not a field trip chaperone, and you wanted an authentic relationship with your daughter. That simple revelation was profound to both of us. Knowing that, we did better. I know we had our growing pains as we decided what that would look like, with you so far away most of the time, but we found out that it wasn’t the silence we disliked--it was the forced conversation. So we fixed that, quality time now valued over quantity. Honesty developed last, and that was rough for both you and me, but we got past that too. I can’t imagine a day when I don’t feel lucky to have a parent like you.

I suppose it’s not the timeline of our evolution as a father and a daughter that will tell me how to fix this. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate the effort you put into being my parent. Wanted to bring a smile to your face one last time.

You know that my family has been struggling for a while. Bryce can’t keep a job. Neither can I. Our two baby boys are starving for more than just attention, and there’s only one way I know how to save them. I finally did it--my humanity is sold. I remember when that company cropped up, what was it, a year ago? AllSouls. They offered millions upon millions of dollars if you did one simple thing: sell your humanity in their marketplace. I signed paper after paper, agreeing that the patrons’ identities will be hidden from me until such time that my essence is purchased. I wasn’t displayed like an item, the bidding was all online, yet it didn’t feel any less horrible. Every bid that pinged on my computer made regret grow in my chest. I’ll be returning to my family after they take my humanity, but something will be different, I will be... none of this matters. My point is, it’s done. I go in for the procedure tomorrow.

Since I’ve been warned I won’t be the same, I wanted to write to you now, tell you how much you mean to me, and how I wish we could’ve been friends sooner than we were. I really do. So many days passed, both of us thinking that one hated the other, and for what? Now that we finally can talk without any toxicity, I’m going to be wholly changed. I would give anything for just a little more time as me.

As far as I can tell, my body will stripped of all my humanity, but I will still remain. I’ve thought long and hard about that. What does that even mean? Will it be the dictionary definition, insinuating I will no longer be benevolent? Or is this exchange something more? Will I no longer be human at all? Will I die? Will I become immortal? What will I remember? What will happen to me? Will I know who I am any longer?

Dad, I’m scared.

Bryce is coming with me to the procedure, but could you be there, too? I just want to make sure I can see you one more time, as the person I am now, before I can only see you as the person I will become--whoever she is.

Love,
    Destiny

Element 2
    Warning: You are about to enter someone else's dream.
    She opened her eyes as she fell asleep, the world melting and molding before her. The scene was a canvas waiting for paint to be smeared in loops and whirls. She existed beyond the realm of reality, her body a shadow apart from the writhing darkness. All she knew for a time was the peaceful grey, pulsating with potential to be something inherently more. The silence pressed against her eardrums, softly smothering any noise there might have been with calm nothingness. There was only the melted, distorted shadow and her, and they existed in perfect harmony.

Slowly though, the shadow slipped away bit by bit. It thinned, it shaped itself, it shifted. Trees rose up around her, lush and bioluminescent, reaching towards a bright, milky moon as if they could touch the sky. And what a sky it was, cluttered with too many stars, simply dripping with cosmic dust and smeared with all manner of neon color. It was shadowy in this realm, but alive with a sort of brightness reserved for comic books and fluorescent highlighters. Grass rooted itself in the nothingness and formed ground that wove itself in between the trees. The lush carpet of azure, rather than its typical green, spread like wildfire until no patch of ground was left unmarked by its blue glow. Rivers of starlight carved paths through the grass, and hills morphed like rising bubbles. Suddenly, there was no more shadow at all, woven as it was into the fabric of the new universe it created, and finally the world settled.

Wandering was her only option, and she happily did so, her feet skimming the ground as she explored the oasis. Every hue was new to her, yet altogether familiar. Every leaf a revelation, and an old recited verse. Only her own mind would come up with such a scene to present her with. She did as she assumed she did every night, though she didn’t know for sure, the memories foggy and fragile. Such is the plight of dreams, they have a short shelf life. All the same, she twirled underneath the canopies, convinced that this moonlit fantasy would be different. She would remember racing the fairy-like fireflies, diving beneath the current of the river and seeing a second sky reflected back at her, and listening for the sound of anything and still hearing nothing. The last detail surrounded her, the silence pervading where there should have been noise. Where was the sound of rustling? Of water rushing past the flora? But there was something, a tugging, as if a rope was tied to her chest. The sensation was soft, but present, urging her towards some destination. Curiously, she followed the feeling, barely noticing that as she neared where she was drawn to that her feet no longer touched the floor.

As she continued on, she no longer had to move, the force pulling her of its own accord. Scenery rushed around her, becoming blurs of blue, green, gold, and grey. Abruptly, though, she stopped moving, released and dropped down to the ground with care. There was a ripple in this glen, as if the trees couldn’t hold their shape and the grass would rather evaporate, ebbing towards a rip in the fabric of this new reality. It was almost like looking through a warped glass, though not nearly as easily understood, leaves turning into bubbles and being pulled towards the void before disappearing entirely. If she thought she’d have time to figure out the oddity, she was wrong, her body pulled through the rip and into a space simultaneously as small as the eye of a needle and as big as a concert hall, before plummeting into a freefall. The air felt cold, no longer hospitable and familiar, and all she could hear was her screams as she continued to cartwheel in the darkness.

But that was curious, the noise startling her into silence before smacking into the ground with a dull thud.

“Willow?” someone called out to her. “Is that you? It’s Selene.”

The woman on the ground emitted a groan of pain in response, her lungs struggling to inhale. Where was she? Who was Selene? Familiarity struggled to make itself known, but no clear recollection formed. What is going on? she thought, blinking and looking up at a sky that was grey and sooty.

“Willow?” the voice repeated, this time accompanied by the rushing sound of footsteps. “What are you doing here? How’d you get here?” A woman peered over her frantically, eyes assessing for any obvious injuries, but distracted again as a howl emitted from some unseen beast in the distance. “Quick now, the creatures are right behind us.” She was familiar. Who was she? “Come on! If you don’t hurry they are going to find us--” The sound of crackling brush interrupted the frantic warning. Wasting no further time, Selene grabbed her new companion by the wrist and hauled her up. “You have to run.”

Willow stumbled behind, her legs weak and shaky. Question after question looped around in her mind, and she found that she was no longer in a place she knew. No comforting peace, no stillness, no familiarity, only novelty. Her feet slapped the parched and cracked ground, grey dust rising around her shins. Dead brush and unidentifiable plants lay scattered on the ground, as if ripped from their roots and tossed to the side by a petulant child. Mountains rose on all sides, forming a bowl that cupped the gloom in an all consuming shade. Everything was death and decay and noise. Wind screamed, her heart thumped, branches crackled, and somewhere, a creature growled.

The pair ran for what seemed like eternity, their lungs burning for air. Willow could see what looked like a fortress in the distance, but the longer they ran, the further away it seemed. Gasping and wheezing, she stopped running and doubled over, pressing her hands into the solid earth. The sound of her impact with the ground sounded like a gunshot, snapping Selene out of her determined pace and making her turn around.

“No no no no no. Every night. Every night this happens to me” Selene whimpered to herself breathlessly, mindlessly, running back to the fallen woman. “We have to go, don’t you see? They’ll find us.” Her panicked eyes were filled with fresh tears, and the stains on her cheeks betrayed the old.

“What are you so afraid of?”

Howls emanated, approaching and getting louder.

“We have to go.”

“Where are we?”

With every word, gusts of wind picked up, creating tempest after tempest, roaring louder and louder.

“We’re almost safe.”

“Who are you?”

“Please don’t do this. We don’t have time. Please remember, sparrow. Please remember and get up!”

As Selene’s final statement rung out, silence fell like a thick blanket. The world faded all at once, consuming Willow in darkness. She saw images of a girl holding her hand, buying her ice cream, singing her songs, telling her stories, calling her sparrow, and then disappearing. Long forgotten hurt rang through the memory. Where had she gone? Why did she leave? questions resurfacing from long ago.

But the scene returned just as quickly. She could see Selene yelling at her, trying to pull her up, looking behind her as if the world depended on moving forward, but no noise reached Willow’s ears. As if the dream needed no further prompting, perhaps having grown bored with the fear imbued scene it had created, the world turned on end and they were both toppling upward, shadowed beasts collecting in the spot they had just been. The darkness of the sky consumed them and all was quiet.

Willow closed her eyes as she woke up, opening them again to find dull plaster and sunlight layered over with neon colors that slowly were fading. Confusion washed over her, where was Selene? And as the baffling feeling faded, loss took its place. Selene had found her, and then she was lost to the delirium of sleep once again.

“Sister,” she whispered, abruptly sitting up, blankets falling off of her in alarm. She had to find her. It had been years, but every second more that passed not talking to Selene was going to crush Willow under its weight. The same phantom tug as before began to pull with urgency. Get up, it seemed to say. Obeying, she wandered to the front door still only clad in pajamas, following the calling, hoping that this was more than just a dream. Her hand grabbed the handle, unlocking the chain with the other...

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. An unknown caller. With a huff of impatience,Willow turned and picked up the phone, punching the green button. She had someone to find.

“Yes? Hello?”

“Willow? Is that you? It’s Selene.”

Element 3
    Testing the limits of the human heart.
    Boom. Boom. Boom. My heart beats with a fervor, making my ears ring and my jaw tingle. It’s just in front of me, a reward for all this effort. My body strains with every step, but my mind is suspended within the thud. thud. thud.

I see the finish line; my feet quicken with the promise of impending success. If only I could just push myself a little faster, a little further... Like a sentinel, my heart screams at me “stop running.” But I was never one to listen.

da-dum da-dum

My body’s going numb. Have I made it yet?

Fireynay
    Traveller
    Traveller
    Class: Werebeast

Post by Fireynay » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Part one
    It's much harder to deny something's existence after it's taken a shit in your favourite mug.
    To: Peter
    [Sent 6/5/18 17:53]
    Hey man, I know you’ve been avoiding me! I told you I’m not entirely sure what happened but please can we talk about it?
    [Seen 6/5/18 17:54]

[Sent 7/5/18 21:14]
    Look, I know you’ve seen my message and I heard you get home an hour ago! I tried knocking on your door but either you couldn’t hear me over your music or you ignored me again. Could you turn it down a bit at least? I can feel it vibrating my whole fucking room. We have to keep living together, we need to sort this out.
    [Seen 7/5/18 21:16]

[Sent 8/5/18 18:34]
    Pete, this is getting ridiculous now mate. We’re supposed to be roommates. I know I got a bit more drunk than usual on Saturday night, but I think you’re taking it too far by ignoring me like this. I already told you I wasn’t sure how Sarah ended up in my bed, but I am certain that nothing happened between us. Hell, I woke up in the bathroom less than half an hour before you walked in on us. I tried to explain that to you before you stormed out, but you wouldn’t listen and you’ve been avoiding me since.
    [Seen 8/5/18 18:47]

[Sent 8/5/18 20:05]
    Please stop ignoring my messages! I can see you’ve read them! Can you turn down your fucking music too?? Ive been knocking on your door for the last half hour, I don’t know how you can even think with that horrific noise. You’re acting like a fucking child!
    [Seen 8/5/18 20:06]

[Sent 8/5/18 22:18]
    TURN YOUR FUCKING MUSIC OFF!!!! I’M TRYING TO SLEEP!
    [Delivered 8/5/18 22:18]

[Sent 9/5/18 9:25]
    I hope you’re happy. I barely got any sleep last night and now I’m in work looking like the living dead. I know you’re on lates today and apparently I’ve pissed you off, but you knew I had to be in work first thing.
    [Delivered 9/5/18 9:25]

[Sent 9/5/18 14:46]
    For fucks sake you’re being so fucking petty! You’ve even turned off your read receipts now? Grow up man and come talk to me like an adult!
    [Delivered 9/5/18 14:46]

[Sent 11/5/18 18:08]
    Look mate, it’s been nearly a week now and you’re still avoiding me. I can be fucking childish too.
    [Delivered 11/5/18 18:08]

To: Rob
    [Sent 11/5/18 23:37]
    What the actual FUCK man?! You’re disgusting! That’s the mug my dad got me for graduating, what the fuck is wrong with you? This is the final straw, in response to your messages over the last week I have been avoiding you because if I see your ugly, weedy face ever again I’m going to destroy it! If you think you were ‘a bit more drunk than usual’ on Saturday night then I don’t know what fantasy world you’re living in, but that was fucking tame! Sarah told me exactly what happened, I know you two have been sleeping together behind my back for the last 3 months and the only reason you woke up in the bathroom was because she asked you to get her a drink of water once you’d finished and you were so drunk you passed out in there.
    Just so you know, I spoke to the landlord earlier today and I’ll be moving out while you’re in work on Monday. Do us both a favour and stay out of my way until then.
    [Seen 11/5/18 23:38]

Part two
    Lost Gods make the worst hitchhikers.
    Rain was hammering against the front windscreen, forcing Sam to lower his speed and squint his eyes to try and see the road. His wipers were working on overtime, futilely trying to keep the screen clear. Forks of lightning flashed across the sky at regular intervals and Sam was beginning to wish he’d stayed at his girlfriend’s house instead of deciding to travel the hour’s journey home tonight. This storm had appeared so suddenly though, there had been no warning signs.

He was travelling along a long, straight highway, possibly the best thing in this weather, his only concern was keeping the car on the road and looking out for any other vehicles ahead. He leaned closer to his steering wheel and concentrated hard on the road ahead. It was for this reason, couple with the much lower speed that he was travelling at, that caused him to notice the what looked like a silhouette picked up by his headlights and a timely flash of lightning.

He slammed his breaks on and came to a stop several tens of metres ahead of where he thought he’d seen the figure. Looking round he could see nothing but darkness and he shook his head. It must have just been a tree at the side of the road or something. Why would anybody be out here in the middle of nowhere at this time of night? Storm or no storm. Just as he was about to pull off again, there was a knock at his passenger window and Sam’s heart leapt in to his mouth.

He soon calmed though when he realised it was a young woman and hurriedly reached over to unlock the door. “Hey, get in! Are you ok?”

She opened the door and climbed in, promptly drenching everything on the passenger side as sheets of rain followed her in and her dripping dress made a mess of the seat upholstery. “Thank you.” Was all she offered after she had slammed the door closed again before she began to straighten herself out.

Sam sat speechless for a while, then his senses returned and he frowned slightly in confusion, “Um, did you want me to give you a lift any where? What are you doing all the way out here anyway?”

The woman paused in her attempts to straighten her hair out and regarded him with a critical eye that made Sam want to squirm in his seat. He didn’t though. She seemed to see what she wanted to though and a warm smile spread across her face, “I apologise, mortal.” Sam frowned again, mortal?

“I am here on holiday and have just had an argument with my husband, he dropped me at the side of the road and,” she glanced up at the sky, “now appears to be having a temper tantrum. If you could just drop me at the nearest town I would be eternally grateful, I will be able to find my way from there.”

Something seemed off to Sam but he couldn’t just leave her out here, “Sure,” he muttered, putting his car back in to drive and pulling off. The storm seemed to have eased up slightly so visibility was much improved. He had no problem driving the fifteen minutes left to his hometown, other than the awkward silence that had descended upon the two occupants.

He was relieved when the woman pointed out a high-end hotel in the centre of town, “That’s my hotel,” she said, indicating that he should pull over. She climbed out of the vehicle as soon as he had stopped, but before she closed the door she offered Sam another smile. “Thank you, mortal. Your kindness won’t be forgotten and I will repay it when I am able.” Without giving him chance to reply the door was shut and she disappeared inside the hotel.

Sam stared after her for several moments, trying to comprehend what had just happened. Eventually he came to the conclusion that she was probably just some kooky, rich woman with more money than sense and drove the rest of the way home, all the while bemoaning the fact that his car was going to smell damp for the next few weeks until it fully dried out.

He never knew it, but the incident that night was the reason why the marriage to his girlfriend was hugely successful. Hera had providing her blessings and protection as repayment for his act of kindness and it followed him for the rest of his life.

Part three
    A world where you can buy bottled emotions.
    Grey eyes swept around the room one last time. A curtained doorway behind a battered glass cabinet that hid a work room with a single workbench and a stool. An old, now rusting, cauldron sat atop the bench still. There was no point in taking it when he left.

Clear circles were noticeable in the dust inside the cabinet, marking the spaces where glass phials used to be on display. Bigger companies had stolen his formulas but only marketed one type, and now as he left every person was grinning at him manically. The demand for other emotions was gone.
    Thank you Forge for the amazing set!

Forge
    Pathfinder
    Pathfinder
    Class: Warrior

Re: [RPC O] The Triathlon [Closed]

Post by Forge » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 am

It's time. Team Hera have passed judgement on your offerings, and the final scores have been tallied. The results for the RPC Olympic Triathlon event are;

In third place...
    Darkblade, representing Team Poseidon!
    In second place...
    Athena/Gina, representing Zeus!
    And finally, in first place and taking the gold for them and their team;
    Nay, for Team Poseidon!
    Well done to all of you, winners and participants alike!
    Remember to vote for RPGC!