Let the GAMES begin!

Olympic Contest Results - Going live over the course of the week!

IC RPC Olympics - The Sprint! - Results are now up!

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

[RPC O] Word Sprint [CLOSED!]

Check out and participate in the current forum wide events and contests for accolades and prizes.

Moderators: Hades [Forge], Sammy

Dionysus [Rick]
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Pirate

[RPC O] Word Sprint [CLOSED!]

Post by Dionysus [Rick] » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:49 am

You are the best of the best, those blessed by the Ark to walk her halls and drink of her blood. Now prove that you are deserving, show me that you can wield both power and elegance with physicality and grace. Explode onto the field, show the Gods what you are made of!

A sprint requires both strength and speed; The former to hurl you across the track and the latter to actually win. This particular sprint however will require your imagination and skill; the former to propel you to new heights and the latter to actually win. So what does this challenge actually entail? You will be provided with a trio of prompts at the bottom, pick one and then write a 500 word short about it. Simple, isn’t it?

:greenbullet: Your entry must be at least 450 words but no more than 500.
:greenbullet: All entries must be submitted by July 11th
:greenbullet: One entry per member.

All entries will get an Olympian title until-mid september, but those coming in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will get an exclusive Gold, Silver, or Bronze medalist title depending where they placed. Lucky bastards.

The Prompts:
Madness
Ecstasy
Wine

Moccasin
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Paladin

The Orbiter

Post by Moccasin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:49 am

Prompt - Ecstasy
The Ride - John Scarrotts Orbiter
The Song - XO by Beyonce

Three leopard spots of sunlight lie on the ground between my legs as I sit beneath the curtain of maples that line the boardwalk. The lake welcomes me, factory smoke from cities across the water dancing with the clouds. He holds my hand, his Adidas sneakers perched on the armrest of the bench, his head in my lap. The day is balmy and sweet. He has a sweatshirt on. Cargo shorts that I despise and socks that reach up to the middle of his calf.

I let out a sigh as my back touches the cool grooves of the bench. He looks up from his phone, eyes brown and alert. “Tired?” he asks, reaching up to squeeze my shoulder. I nod and look out towards the sand, the beach deserted after last night’s thunderstorm. June is unforgiving.

“I just want it to be over.” I cringe at my own candor, quickly looking down at his face. He’s smiling. I thank God.

“I wanna do something crazy,” he says, his mind buzzing with possibilities.

“Uh oh.”

He sits up, squinting as the sun hits his face. He’s looking at the pier. A red lighthouse, worn by the crashing waves, dangles its legs over the edge and gazes out at the water. “See that? I’m running all the way down to the end.”

I roll my eyes. “Wild.”

“No, it’ll be fun. Trust me.”

I check the time on my phone, feigning disinterest. I can feel his eyes on the back of my neck, waiting for me to look up. This time he’s impatient, snatching my phone and holding it above my head.

“You’re such a child.”

“You want it, you’ll have to catch me.”

My eyes are daggers, my arms akimbo. He’s already running. In a split second, my flip flops are off and I’m sprinting towards the lighthouse, cat and mouse over the moon. I’m ready to pounce as he dangles my phone over the water, his smile nervous and ebullient.

“You wouldn’t dare.” I’m out of breath; I slap him half-heartedly with a chancla as he hands me back my phone. “I’ll take that, thank you very much.” My Cockney accent needs work, but he still cackles, his eyebrows raised as I scowl for good measure.

I’ve put on my shoes when he wraps his arms around me.

“I love you.”

I don’t know what to think.

I’m on the Orbiter again, the lights of the carnival swirling around me like a vortex, galaxies running away and dripping down my face. My hands are buzzing with a fever, knuckles white from holding onto the safety bar. A hot spark in my chest like we’ve flown too close to the sun and we’re falling fast. But in the middle of the crowd, there he is, not quite smiling, the music soaring, his hands clutching the notebook with all my words, looking up.

We’re underwater now, and the world escapes me. I let go of the bar and jump.
Last edited by Moccasin on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ares [Darkblade]
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Necromancer

Re: [RPC O] Word Sprint [Open - July 11th]

Post by Ares [Darkblade] » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:18 am

Prompt: Madness

Once he had been like them, toiling in the muck, day after day just existing. But that changed, with the house. No, that wasn’t right. It wasn’t the house, no, it was what he found within. Truth, hidden for so long, trapped within it’s walls. Secrets, falsehoods, the muck was filled with them. And even here he found them, covering the truth. Like mouldy wallpaper, he peeled away the lies of this place. Each layer, new lies uncovered, but that only drove him onward. Deeper he crawled, abandoning the toil, and throwing himself into the pursuit of truth.

“You need help..”

Indeed he did, but not the kind she spoke of. His beloved, concerned for him rather than the revelation their lives surrounded with lies. He needed a way to unravel them all, the lies that surrounded them, and know truth. It was like hitting a brick wall, knowing what he desired lay beyond, with nought but his hands to break down the barrier between them. He segregated himself more and more, from those who swallowed the lies like pig swill.

“We can’t go on like this.”

No, they could not. Not with the truth still out of his grasp, she ought to help him uncover it. Rather than complain, she didn’t care to hear his explanations. Wilfully remaining ignorant, that they lived in a place where truth could be found. The truth, a truth so profound the world was a lie created to contain it. That much he had figured out, everything around him, a system to hinder his quest. The truth would not remain hidden, no, it could not. He couldn’t let it remain undiscovered, no matter the cost.

“You can’t..”

He would, he had to press onward. He had found it, the opening. The doorway to the truth, all he needed now was the key. Her words would not dissuade him, no, not now. Not when he was this close to seeing it, she who like them wallowed in the muck. That was not his destiny, he was to find it, truth, and with it’s light banish away the lies.

“You must not!”

But he must, and did so. He had opened the door, and walked along it’s path. He witnessed the gardens, and traversed it’s fields. He had found the truth, no, that was a mistake. The truth had found him. Brought him here, and as he beheld it, they beheld him. Without eyes they saw him, without mouths they spoke, without hands they touched him. And now he understood, the great truth he sought. Ascending to the world of muck, where they placed chains upon him for destroying their agent of lies. He would speak the truth to them.

“They are not dead, they sleep, and we are the dream. Soon they shall wake, and the dream will end.”

McGenty
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Adventurer

Post by McGenty » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:59 am

I chose madness, although I'm reasonably certain that would be clear.
“The gate and the key, the gate and the key…he is the gate, but he is the key. The gate and the key are one? No, the gate can’t be the key, the gate is the gate. The key is the key. He is the gate and the key. He is the gate and the key. The gate and the key?”

“Vance? You’re doing it again. Come on, snap out of it, please? We need you!”

Lilly squeezed her brother’s arm, then shoved him before resorting to a slap that stung her hand so she couldn’t believe his cheek wasn’t bleeding. Still, he stared vacantly upward, muttering about gates and keys, his own arm still outstretched and crackling with eldritch power from the last spell he had cast. A scream broke through the thick fog that concealed the siblings for the moment, followed by the telltale groan of life leaving the body. It sounded like the Professor had been overcome. That left only Korag and Regan to hold out, and as strong as they were, it was just a matter of time. There were just too many.

“The gate, the key, the gate, the key…which is which? Doesn’t matter…which is first? Yes, that’s the question and the answer. Key unlocks the gate, but without the gate there’s no need for the key. Where’s the gate? Where’s the key?”

“Vance!” Lilly pleaded harder, tears welling in her eyes. They had bet everything on his plan, on his promise that the unseen power to which he had sworn himself would come through. They should have known better. The drawings, the nightmares, the waking trances that had served as prelude to this breakdown – the signs were there. The gamble hadn’t been on if Vance’s mind would break, only when.

Korag cried out, first in pain and then in a familiar roar. He was berserking now, but all that meant was that he would do more damage to the enemy’s ranks before he fell, and once Korag fell, Regan would have no hope of standing alone.

Lilly opened her mouth to implore her brother again, but movement in the fog caught her eye. She rolled backwards, kicking off Vance’s chest just in time to move them both out of the way of the blades that would have severed their heads. A frustrated roar escaped the troll that had been robbed of his kill, even as he raised the blade for another stroke. Lilly leapt to her feet, her daggers raised in a pitifully small counter to the troll’s weapon.

CRACK!

Something struck the massive sword before it met Lilly’s blades, and a heartbeat later, the weapon shattered, then blew away on the wind like dust.

“The gate is the key. The key is the gate.”

Vance stood between them, eyes ablaze with purple light. He raised his hand, and the troll roared as its flesh tore from its bones. Vance spoke, but the voice was not his:

“I AM THE GATE AND THE KEY.”
Thanks to Forge for the set!

The_Legion_Ex
Olympian
Olympian
Location: In the secret Legion Headquarters of Doom-Inducing Flamboyance

Post by The_Legion_Ex » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Prompt-Madness

Things are not the same, and will never be the same again.

The voices keep speaking, they speak words I cannot hear but appear clear in my eyes.
Words of loving hate, words of foolish wisdom, words of chilling heat.
Words of reclining advances, words of living death, words of noisy silence.
Words of dark light, words of painful healing, words of sacrilegious devotion.
Words of a filling void, words of lying truth, and most of all, words of pure madness.

And now, sights appear before me, these sights barely show up in my eyes but resonate their presence into my ears.
Sights of counterclockwise clocks, sights of explosions that implode, sights of serpents with legs, sights of flames that freeze.
Sights of isotropic asymmetry, sights of rising descents, sights of bright shadows, sights of monochrome rainbows.
Sights of the night in day, sights of the day in night, sights of an eclipse that reveals, sights of a dawn of darkness.
Sights of peaceful wars, sights of bloodless carnage, sights of anarchy under a single rule, and most of all, sights of the presence of madness itself.

And now, I can sense things that brush against my skin, but I can only feel them deep within.
The sense of chilling burns, the sense of smooth roughness, the sense of hard softness.
The sense of shattering resilience, the sense of large pinpricks, the sense of solid fluidity.
The sense of a windless breeze, the sense of a harmful embrace, the sense of blunting sharpness.
The sense of soothing pain, the sense of comforting torment, the sense of weakening strength, and most of all, the sense of madness incarnate.

And now, I feel the monsters deep within me begin to express themselves, making me sense their presence inside-out.
The entertainment from boredom, the cheerful sorrow, the wrath of calmness.
The greed of charity, the lust of chastity, the sloth of diligence.
The envy of compersion, the gluttony of self-control, the pride of humility.
The despair of hope, the hatred of love, the damnation of salvation, and finally, the madness of my sanity.

But never will I be the victim again, things will never change again... For here I am now, the madness itself.
The madness that plagues all things, the madness that lays work to waste.
The madness that gives fear to all bravery, shriveling all that grows.
The madness that constricts freedom, setting all that is organized in chaos.
The madness that stops all that move, rulings over all that rules before me.

[[ Subject 109 : Zexal :: Condition-Containment Breach]]
The Ex Legion: A squad of underlings under one mind.

BrookeDi
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 am

Prompt: Wine
Title: Companion
Word Count: 500

Sixteen years old. It's Christmas, and her dad has brought yet another stranger to their holiday dinner. She's pretty and young, just like every other woman that he introduces each month. Her dad lets her taste a sip of his wine; red and bitter, it reminds her of their relationship. She wants to make a face from the dryness, but it's Christmas, and for the first time she doesn't have to sit at the kids' table. Every subsequent year she's allowed her very own small glass of wine. The face beside her dad may change, but the wine never does.

Prom night. Her friends thought it classy to bring cheap wine coolers, sipping them in the hotel parking lot after the dance. The color of her dress is "wine," and surely there is some irony in that? Somehow it tastes every bit as cheap as the store advertises it to be. It's worse than the dry and bitter of her Christmas wine, but it’s prom night - it’s supposed to be a night to remember, so she drinks with the rest of them. The following morning, all she remembers is a dry mouth and pounding headache.

On her eighteenth birthday she graduates. Her friends are spreading out, all of them attending different schools. She, too, is traveling three hours away: anything to escape the never-ending sea of faces her father insists on introducing to her. They celebrate with a fancy dinner that he cooks for her. His newest girlfriend attends and gives her a pink plastic pen as a gift. When the soon-to-be-ex isn't looking, she drops it in the trash. Dinner is accented with the same wine they have at Christmas. She has two glasses, and when she leaves for a graduation party at her friend's house, she takes a bottle of the red liquid with her.

College parties mostly offer beer and some hard liquor concoction, but there's always someone who brings a bag of Franzia. It reminds her of the cheap box wine from prom night, but she doesn't complain, only taking her turn to slap the bag. She becomes like her father, rotating through boyfriends; only it’s them who never stay, so maybe she isn't like him but chooses to be with people like him. It doesn't matter, because when they leave, she'll still have a bottle of wine in her mini-fridge.

She turns twenty-one, discovers rosé and sweeter wines, and she learns that wine doesn't have to be bitter at all. She gets married, and there is wine at the wedding. When she finds him with his secretary (because there aren't enough clichés in her life story) and during the subsequent divorce, she finds comfort in bottles of Mimbres Red from New Mexico.

She remarries, and as the years pass she watches her family grow, sour wine in hand. When the time comes, she'll give them sips and tastes only of the sweetest wines -- saving them from the bitterness that she's grown accustomed to.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Glassdoor
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Glassdoor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 am

Prompt- Wine

The village teemed with life, its denizens working, visiting their neighbours or just enjoying the beautiful, sunny weather. Few of them noticed a tiny figure on top of the hill, even fewer cared. They lived in the peaceful lands, the oldest villagers couldn’t remember a single raid. And then the figure raised its fist, and a distant roar of hundreds of armored boots reached the villagers’ ears.

The general walked among the burnt buildings and corpses. He tried to ignore the cries and pleas for mercy attacking him from everywhere he turned, but they drilled into his head and stayed there, causing him to grimace under his helmet. He reached what was left of the village governor’s house and nodded at his lieutenant, emerging from the ruin. The officer nodded back and showed his superior a small package. “Three villages have we been searching for it. Was it really worth it?”. The general took it and shrugged. “That is not up to us to decide. Wrap it up in here and wait with the others near the border. I have to deliver this to the capital.” Was it just in his head, or did the screams grow louder as he was nearing the village’s walls?

The general marched down the long corridor of the imperial palace, a certain phrase echoing in his ears. ’Was it really worth it?' He took a deep breath and opened the huge, ornamental door, probably worth more than a village. 'Was it worth it?' Inside, on the golden throne, the Emperor was waiting. “Ah, general.” he smiled. “I hope your journey has been a fruitful one.” The man did not answer, simply kneeling down and presenting the package to him. The lord took the bundle and simply tore off the protective paper, revealing its content- a single bottle of red wine. “Fantastic. Dry red from Guidermin, last of its kind. And it’s the only existing bottle. Isn’t it?” “It is, sire.” The general lowered his head . “As usual, all the crops, recipes and wineries were burnt down, producers and their families… Silenced.” The Emperor smiled again and nodded. “You have done well. Your troops won’t go hungry for a long time. And I…” he put the wine in its rightful place- a wall with hundreds of bottles, each with a note attached, with two dates on them- year of production and that of acquisition. “I have yet another fine addition to my collection. Ah, that reminds me… Rest for a day, and then gather your men, general. My scouts have finally located the whereabouts of the Moondusk Winery. I’ve always wanted one of their bottles on my wall.”

’Was it really worth it?’
Is it ever?

Fireynay
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Werebeast

Post by Fireynay » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Prompt - Ecstasy

The last few months had been tough, a devastating chain of events. She had lost her job. She had lost her boyfriend. She had lost her home. Each event leading in to and feeding the next, like a fire burning through her life. She had moved back in with her parents and spent several months trying to rebuild her life. Through all of this, she hadn’t even had the energy or the motivation to do the one thing that normally calmed her instantly.

Running.

Now, she had finally drawn up the courage to get back to it. The ritual of donning her running gear and taking the time to lace up her trainers securely whilst perched on the bottom step in her parent’s hallway quickened her heart rate before she’d even left the house. That first step out into the world and the deep breath she took before heading down the overgrown pathway comforted her more than anything else could. She paused at the end of the pathway to set up her phone. Tracking app started and playlist blaring, she put her ear buds in and took off. She was a good runner, always had been, so it didn’t take her long to get in to a rhythm.

As soon as she set off she could feel her feet pounding against the pavement and the wind rushing past her creating a resistance that she pushed herself through as easily as if she were a fish in water. The music became back ground noise as she focussed on her breathing. In. Out. In. Out.

Once she reached the park trail and left the suburban streets behind her, along with the danger of traffic, she allowed herself to stop thinking altogether. She became aware of nothing but the flex of her feet with every step, the pleasant aching in her legs as her muscles contracted and relaxed in harmony, the swinging movements of her arms to build momentum and push her faster and faster and the burning in her lungs as they worked overtime to get enough oxygen to her blood, the steady but rapid beat of her heart as it worked to push that blood through her body to the muscles that desperately needed it.

She didn’t pause until she reached the top of the hill, almost at the centre of the park. The sound of her music came rushing back and she was suddenly aware of her surroundings again. It was a beautiful spring day, the grass was a shade of fresh, pale green that would darken in the next few weeks as summer arrived. The sky a pale blue with only a few fluffy, white clouds dotted here and there. The few trees that were dotted around were practically dripping with soft, pink blossoms, swaying in the light breeze.

She took a deep breath and smiled before popping her ear buds back in to run home. Things were starting to look up.
Thank you Forge for the amazing set!

Hades [Forge]
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Warrior

Post by Hades [Forge] » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Prompt: Madness
Word Count: 500 Words

In the car, Ava sits and stares out of the window in silence. He hates it when she ignores him. She knows he hates it when she ignores him. It's the first shot in what will inevitably be a prolonged battle.

The doctor's office is sterile white and full of identical, cherry red plastic chairs. When he looks at them for too long his eyes blur and he imagines a sanguine river, spreading out from beneath him and stretching along the walls. Instead he stares at his shoes until they call his name.

In the car, his hands grind against the steering wheel the way his teeth grind in his head. Ava is yelling, asking questions that practice has taught him not to answer. Eventually his patience will give and he'll respond anyway - then the battle will begin in earnest.

Ava's mother calls the house again. He leaves her to the machine, and deletes the message without listening to it. She and Ava share the same eyes; the same turn of the nose; the same way of pairing words and hand movements. He ignores those things, too, though with less success.

In the car his voice and Ava's battle over which can be the loudest. In a moment the heat will go out of them, like a fire guttering to embers, but for the time being they want nothing more than to verbally beat the other into submission. It's a familiar dance, and a foolish one.

He lies awake and stares at where he imagines the ceiling to be, because one patch of darkness looks much like the other. There is pain - in his hands, and his knees, and his elbows, and his back, and his heart - and his entire body burns. The air-con rattles mockingly, and the empty house echoes like a cave with the sound.

In the car, rain tracks down the windscreen the way tears track down Ava's cheeks. There is a different kind of silence now; the kind that wounds him more than any of the words that have been exchanged. He says her name, reaches across to bridge the gulf between them - but the world is slipping away beneath them, and the raindrops skew their course across the glass to travel in more and more eccentric patterns. Ava's eyes are wide and bright and afraid when they come to rest. It's something that he'll think about for months.

The doctor calls it Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, brought on by the crash. He calls it Purgatory. In time, they tell him, it will improve - but he doesn't want it to get better, because then the guilt over Ava will go away, and guilt is all he has left. They give him leaflets and medication and tell him to get out of the house. He nods and thanks them and pockets a prescription for pills that he'll stop taking within the month.

In the car, Ava sits and stares out of the window in silence.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Athena [Georgeanna]
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Thief

Post by Athena [Georgeanna] » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 am

Ecstasy
Word Count: 490

The bar is crowded, but you can still hear your companion’s query. You see the words hurtling towards you, their syllables leaving streaks of light in the sky as they pierce your armor. Each letter hits with a resounding whisper, melting into the blood that runs in your veins like a second essence of being. It’s a question, but you barely understand it. Time stands still, your soul peeling from your being—a sticker uncoupling with a sheet.

You don’t look how you thought you looked, but then again no one ever does. You use your hand to spin the world, moving eternity around so you can better observe yourself. Eyes, hands, legs. All these details shine up at you so brightly and importantly that you barely notice where you are. It’s you who matters anyway, right? Nothing captures your focus so entirely, and everything else melts away. You don’t notice the woman at the bar, whom you nearly knocked over. You didn’t see her earlier, either. Nor do you care about the look on your best friend’s face three blocks over when they realize that you forgot about the plans you two had made. None of that matters as you peer into your chest and see all those words, mingling with the goals and dreams you keep safe. You don’t think of anyone else; you are your world. Soul nearly merging with the body, you almost laugh. No.

Maybe it is a shimmer in the corner, but your focus shifts from the question, from your hopes and aspirations, and from the answer to a light dissimilar to your own. You don’t see who it is, you only have eyes for yourself after all, but you do notice them opening a door. Their hand pushes it with ease, but they don’t slide through the opening. Instead, another patron walks in, taking their seat near the back. Confusion moves through you. This door-opener wasn’t close to leaving, merely having chosen a barstool near the entrance. Yet, they move to let customer after customer in. Why? You try to ask, but you realize that you’re not in your own body, the words floating to the heavens, buoyant with your ekstasis. No more are the customers, the bar; for once, even you disappear. It is just this person, opening a door—suspended in infinity and trapped by the brevity of a moment.

Suddenly, the world rushes back. You are looking out with your eyes at your sister, barely remembering her presence. Her brow furrows in frustration, matching the frown on her face; she’s obviously waiting for a reply. Like a response to the call, the words in your chest scorch you, and you nearly feel your soul slipping from its mooring once again. For the first time, you hear her, instead of just hearing yourself respond, and you actually want to care.

The Answer springs from your mouth: “No, but I’m going to do better.”

TheGreenerGrey
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Warrior

Post by TheGreenerGrey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 am

Wine
Life can be mean at times. It’ll hit you when you’re at your lowest, or take away something very precious to you for seemingly no reason. Of course, the opposite is true too. Someone amazing can walk into your life, or you could have a fantastic day where everything that happens seems to go right. But, we’re not going to focus on how things can go well.

Because I am 100% sure waking up in a hedge on the side of the road in my underwear, with absolutely no idea where I am, is not a time when life goes right. In fact, this may be a prime example of where life goes quite amazingly, hilariously wrong.

I lean my head back to relax for a few moments, as well as I can in a bush, but just as I complete the motion the plant lets out a snap, crackles, maybe even pops, and I find myself deposited on the ground opposite of the road. I indulge in a small whine of pain, only moving my eyes to glare up at the green traitor. An entire(?) night’s worth of support and this is what I get? Absolute bastard.

Eventually, I find the motivation to stand, and once I get past the sound of my heart beating in my ears, I look around. It… it wasn’t promising. As far as I was aware, the party hadn’t been anywhere near a cornfield (and I’m pretty sure I was wearing clothes at the party), yet I couldn’t see a car anywhere in sight. This wouldn’t be a problem, but unfortunately having no memory as to where I left my clothes means that I have to seek help in the nude. Great.

I begin to walk in the direction of a small farmhouse I can see. Scratch that, I stumble and lurch my way towards a small farmhouse I can see. The only memory I’m able to dredge up from the murky depths that is my mind is an image of Darren passing me a bottle of wine. I decide to ignore the fact that Darren brought wine to a house party, and instead focus on blaming him for this.

Blaming Darren was a good distraction… or I was still a little drunk, as the house seemed to appear in no time. Taking a moment to make sure I don’t look… oh, wait. Underwear. Right. Okay. Instead, I take a breath, straighten myself (ignoring the wave of dizziness that comes from that) and rap on the door. Haha. Rap. No. Stop. Focus. Someone is talking to you.

They were… She was saying something, a smile on her face, no doubt at my state of dress. For a minute I forget how to respond; she’s pretty and catching up with the conversation, I realize she’s funny. Somehow I get her number, then a date, then several more. Maybe… Maybe a day doesn't have to be only incredible or terrible; perhaps it can be both.
The past doesn’t define who you are.
It just... gives you the starting point for who you’re going to be. -Carolina, RvB

GamerScribe
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:29 am

Left for dead among the dunes to the mercy of the month of June.
Sun and sand go hand in hand across the desert's span and radiate a wretched heat across a cursed land.
Blisters burst across my feet and the blood brings light reprieve until it dries and turns to grit within it’s boot-shaped sheathe.
I feel the sear upon my skin and deep within my lungs, it leaves me weak with ragged breath and dry and stinging tongue.
Far afield across the golden hills and through the wicked haze I spy a fix for all the thirst I’ve built these five long days.
A single standing cactus, barbed and barbarous for sure, and yet within it’s needled skin there lies my craving’s cure.

I walk until my knees give out, my face strikes sand and thus I shout;
Death… claim me quick, lest from your hand I take the sword and strike you down.”
My speech is slow and broken and as still I live I start to frown.
Tears would speck my eyes and cheeks, were I of healthier physique.
Dry of water, dry of wit, I cannot summon tears or spit.
I cannot give another cry, and so upon the earth I lie, hoping that I soon shall die.

I slip into the void of rest whilst knowing that I gave my best.
The pain and suffering do wane as do the labors of heart and brain.
My lungs and body start to still as I forfeit my monstrous will…

In the dark I hear a hum as loud as any battle drum.
A melody that booms like thunder pulls me back from slipping under.
I feel a tugging at my jaw and so my lips part, cracked and raw.
A violent and biting sting do the softest touches bring,
And yet I feel the pain has worth, for with it comes this man’s rebirth.
Sweet ambrosia fills my aching maw and sunders suffering like a saw.
I drain the water ‘til I choke, and laugh and sob for I have woke.
Never did I think I’d wake again, for I had simply given in.

Slowly, oh so slowly, do my eyelids part their ways and thus I see a smile that brings meaning to these days.
I wish to bring to those who’ve harmed me justice true and swift, yet even more I wish to bring this smiling face a gift.
Gold and jewels, and poetry; for the one who returned life to me.
Yet I remember I have naught, for with my fellows had I fought and thus these cursed days were wrought.

Still my rage does crack and chip as I partake of another sip.
What use lies in returning hate, when true salvation is your fate?

Rise.” She said, and so I did, feeling in my soul elated.
Though my body was in shambles, we talked, walked, roved and rambled.

Each word and step was victory.
To live through death is ecstasy.
Prompt: Ecstasy
Title: To live...
Word Count: 500
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

Ruler_of_Wolves
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Werebeast

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am

Word count: 500

There is no truth in sanity. No person can claim themselves sane. Madness is all around us, it dances with our worlds and plays with our minds. We all feel it within ourselves, and try so desperately to lock it away. Take these drugs, say those things, don’t feel the chaos, lock it away, deep within that dark pit. But it cannot be locked away. It is water, crashing, breaking, destroying the walls inside our heads. Moments when the silent scream becomes heard. When you face the ocean of madness, and sing your soul. Moments when our souls are heard, and the others look upon you with horror. They have not felt their insanity. Moments when your mind bends and everything makes sense, but nothing has sense. When the mind feels the world’s pressure, all It can do is fold, laughing at how everything breaks eventually.

I willingly feel this insanity, and I am free. Free from the pressures of the world. Free from the pressure I have placed upon myself. I am free to soar, to laugh, to die. Only in this freedom can I see the truth. I am not the broken one; the world is broken, it has always been. Everyone suffers on earth; happiness is temporary; pain is forever.

Here in this unbalanced mind no one can hurt me. My parents can’t neglect me, my friends can’t use me, school can’t break me. Here in this colorless room, on this small twin bed, with leather accessories, I am free from the desolate world.

I am not here because I am the broken one, I laugh, cry, and scream when I am compelled, not when it is “acceptable”. They are afraid that if I am around them, they too will feel all of their emotions fully and when they need to. They are afraid of the truth, for sanity does not exist, nor should it.

The doctors say I’m “emotionally unstable and impulsive,” the others say “nervous breakdown, clinically insane.” I say I feel, I do, I act, freely without restrictions. My family didn’t understand that, my friends left when I became useless, and my school sent me home. Home, where is that? Is it at my parents’ house? My friends’ house? No, it is up here in my mind. The brain is my home, in constant adventure I thrive. My brain mends the world around me until I have what I want. A whole different life, whether it be a captain of a pirate ship, or just a ranch hand in the countryside.

But even with all this freedom I feel something empty inside. A deep hole within my heart. It is hard to be free when there is no one to share it with. So everyday, while I savor this bitter freedom I cry out against my will...

“Will anyone be brave enough to fly with me?”

Silence always answers back, with it’s cruel laughter.

With the broken world behind me, I still have hope.

Prompt: madness
"What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool at all. I mean, I had a mullet and wore parachute pants for a long, long time, and I'm doin' okay."

-Ellen DeGeneres

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: [RPC O] Word Sprint [CLOSED!]

Post by Sammy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 am

People of the Collective, the results are in. The judgements have been cast by a number of unaffiliated dieties in order to keep things as fair as possible. Each judge ranked their favourite three entries, points were allocated accordingly and your medalists for the Word Sprint are...

In third place, embodying madness and taking the bronze medal...
Hades, competing for Zeus!
In second place, hopefully to be overcome with ecstasy and taking the silver medal...
MOQ/Moccasin competing for Zeus
And last, but certainly not least, and having earnt perhaps more than they’ve bargained for, in first place and raking home the gold for them and their team...
Ember/Brooke, also competing for Zeus
Congratulations to our medalists and all our combatants. We were thoroughly impressed by your tenacity and it was so very, very close!
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Moccasin
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Paladin

Re: [RPC O] Word Sprint [CLOSED!]

Post by Moccasin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 am

YASSS QUEEN BROOKE REIGN SUPREME