Congratulations to our new Member of the Month, Trekwars!

It's new banner time and we need your help to choose one! Please head over to the poll and vote for your favourite.

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up!

[Contest] 100 Word Fiction

Check out and participate in the current forum wide events and contests for accolades and prizes.

Moderators: Sammy, Forge

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

[Contest] 100 Word Fiction

Post by Forge » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 am

That's right, kids - it's contest time! To mark the fact that we're about to smash 100,000 posts, I thought we could do a little thematically-appropriate contest. You know, just to celebrate while we close out those last few posts to take us to the target.

So what do you have to do? I'm glad you asked. At the foot of this post I, the benevolent Moderator, will provide you, the erstwhile member, with a series of prompts. Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to craft a piece of writing from one of those prompts, and to post it here. Simple, right? There's only one small caveat - your piece must be exactly 100 words.

What you're aiming to do is to create a standalone piece of very short writing that still offers character and/or plot development. Since I'm such a nice guy, I've even brought a few examples to steer you in the right direction. We'll be judging your entry in terms of technical quality (i.e. spelling, grammar, etc.) along with how well you've used your 100 words to create an interesting piece of fiction.

• Entries should be exactly 100 words. You'll lose points for submitting anything over or under this. So that we're on the same page, we'll be using WordCounter.net to judge the length of your entries, so you might want to use this in advance of submitting yours.
  • It goes without saying, but no plagiarism, and nothing that's previously been posted elsewhere.
  • All entries should be posted to this thread no later than Sunday 15 April 2018
  • Standard forum rules apply in terms of acceptable content, but if you're unsure, PM myself or another Staff member for advice

That's right, there's a prize this time round! It's just a small token, but our lucky winner will receive an Amazon gift card worth $10 (or £10, if you're using UK money.)

• Milestone
  • Ark
  • Writer
  • Multiverse
  • Portal
  • Sanctum
  • Persona
  • Realm
  • Superhuman
  • Collective
Remember to vote for RPGC!
You can vote here and here once per day!

Moccasin
Scout
Scout
Class: Nobility

Re: [Contest] 100 Word Fiction

Post by Moccasin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am

Superhuman

My mother and I, sitting in the front room of our one-bedroom apartment in East Chicago, watched the clouds go by, shading the juniper bush outside the creaking wooden stairs leading into the yard where broken dreams lay in pots and hung lifelessly on lattices. Winter sucked the life out of everything.

That morning, I walked to school in clothes that barely fit me, shivering.

My mother used to tell me I could do anything if I worked hard enough.

Today I stand on this stage, arms akimbo, and tell you the secret to success is to be strong enough.

Saffron
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Adventurer

Post by Saffron » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:56 am

Prompt: Persona

I was eight years old, my mother yelled at me for running on slippery rocks. She saved me, blocking out my mother's harsh words, because isn't a world without disappointed mothers a blast?

I was 16 year old, and I felt ravaged when my first boyfriend left me. She saved me, soothing my ache, because isn't a world without heartbreak heaven?

I was 20 years old, my fridge finally emptied out, and I didn't want to restock it. She saved me, blocking the hunger, because isn't a world without disorders a blessing?

I am 24 years old, she scares me.
Morale is just an illusion to hide societal entropy
Saffron | Astrid Gabrielsson | 24 | Night Scout | Female | Immunity? No

Georgeanna
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:37 am

Writer

His words were just his, once. Scribbles written down on notebook pages, finding their way into his heart and out of his mind. The symphonies of words that he’d compose were like medleys of pure intellect, their brilliance singing off of the page and into his soul. He was a musician and words were his instruments.

His words have become theirs. Phrases struggling around angry, red edits, jerking to a halt under their watchful gaze. These sentences simply exist to seduce the masses, while he slowly falls into madness. Only now does society call him a writer. Why is that?

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:14 pm

You guys are unbelievably speedy!
Please remember to vote here and here everyday!

Darkblade
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Post by Darkblade » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:38 am

Prompt = Persona

Chibi popped in, out, and around the sanctum. The stage had been set, and the time for celebration was about to begin.

Tall dark and gittish was off somewhere, plotting something or other with the fellow staff, leaving the food unguarded.

Well for some reason Chibi had been told to look after the food, whatever the reason, it was a bad one.

For as Chibi popped around, he vacummed up the food, till there was naught but the tables they lay on.

“Chibi! That was for the party!”

As Chibi gulped down the last cake he said to Sammy.

“Mehmoo!”

Juno
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Juno » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:11 am

ARK

“He left and with him, he took everything that she was, all that she had become. Every gasping sob felt it would be her last, drowning her in unmeasurable sorrows. What would she become? She wanted to morph and shift into something else, to change into anything but who she was now. She needed him like the blood that pumped through her veins. Veins she left open to create a flood to ferry her from her ark of a body. She would forsake it all to take to the storming sea of uncertainty before her to find him once more.”

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:46 am

Ah man. You guys are awesome. Absolutely brilliant entries so far, too. Keep up the good work!

xElegantxRavenx
Scrub
Scrub

Post by xElegantxRavenx » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:38 am

Prompt: Multiverse

Let me tell you a dream about an infinite realm of being and potential being. Imponderable realities composed of golden mountains and crimson seas, skies akin to diamonds and inhabitants unknown. The existence of a myriad of creatures beyond what we can perceive. Oh, what a dream; to traverse these vast universes. Not one is comparable to the next. To discern the unfathomable and discover what cannot be found. To experience every possibility these innumerable worlds have to offer. This adventure unlike any other- oh what a dream! Of novel escapades in a hundred different civilizations and legends surpassing time!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:33 am

Exactly one week to go, guys!
Please remember to vote here and here everyday!

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Prompt: Persona

Her smile is bright and engaging, even though inside she is fuming.

She is kind and courteous, even though inside she's screaming.

She laughs, she shakes hands, and she smiles until her cheeks hurt. Even though, inside, she wants to cry.

There are expectations in place; a role she must play. Her feelings are not hers to display or share or even feel.

Not here, anyway. It has to stay bottled until she can be home, curled in bed hugging a pillow until the tears can fall freely.

Then, the next day, do it all over again: Lather, rinse, repeat.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 am

Yasss. More entries, more happy Forge.

Really impressed folks. Let's keep it going. Only six days to go!

Lavorther
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Post by Lavorther » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:41 am

Prompt: Writer

Howling in the shadows of my words, scratching at the pages. My demons have free reign in this world, in which I gave them life. I shaped the villages for them to burn, created people for them to slaughter. I watch with a morbid curiosity as my creations kill and destroy. They’re fighting for control, trying to break free of the confines of the prison I constructed to keep them in. Their claws scratch my hands as I save the file and close my laptop, sealing them away before their darkness invades this world too.

Not today, demons. Not today.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 pm

And we are clooosed! Thanks for all the entries, folks. Watch this space.