It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

A New Moderator Appears!
Join us in congratulating our newest recruit!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

[RPC O] Word Sprint #2 [Closed]

This section is for all completed contests.

Moderators: Forge, Sammy

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

[RPC O] Word Sprint #2 [Closed]

Post by Forge » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:37 am

Thus far, mortals, we have offered you tests of endurance, wit, creativity and coordination. For this next event, like fierce Atalanta you will demonstrate your fleetness of foot. Move swiftly; the window for this contest is short, and those who fall behind will fall from glory, also.

The task for this contest is simple; you have one week to write a journal entry of at least 150 words on the theme of summer. The specifics are up to you; it might be from a modern perspective, or from something more fantastical. You might choose a summer holiday, the summer solstice, a fictional festival celebrating the height of the sun's power. You might retell a myth from the perspective of one particular character, or invent one of your own. It could take a standard journal format, a blog entry, a monologue, a found document - the sky's the limit here. We'll also be looking for a couple of lines from you after, just to highlight what you've chosen to do with the theme and why.

• All entries must be posted below by 22nd August, 12pm GMT
  • You can edit your entries up until then, if you decide to change anything
  • Entries must be a minimum of 150 words. There's no upper word limit, but bear in mind that quantity doesn't always mean quality - a well put together 150 words is always worth more than a waffle-filled 1500.
  • Remember your two-or-three lines discussing what you chose to do. These do not count toward your overall word count
As with all of our Olympic events, each competitor will net themselves an Olympian title until the end of September - with the exception of our top three, who will snag an exclusive Gold, Silver or Bronze Medallist title depending on where they place. There's also the chance of further glory should you manage to impress the Gods of Olympus, so do your best.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Darkblade
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Re: [RPC O] Word Sprint #2 [Open - 22nd August]

Post by Darkblade » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Darkblade looked out at the lake, and sighed, maybe it was a bit on the nose to put the gone fishing sign on his chamber’s door and then actually go fishing. But then he felt it was appropriate, last time he had a real break was beyond the knowledge of the collective. He could, he had been much smaller and while this lake was not the same place it was similar to that flooded and stocked quarry. His blade had taken on the form of a rod, ever so useful to have a weapon that had other uses than fighting.

Live bait, maggots wriggling in their box. He had never felt a desire to use other fish, as he was a pure angler at heart. No killing, catch and release, all for the thrill of pitting his talents against the survival instincts of the animal. Well more cause he just wanted to be away from any access ports to the collective, or he’d end up going back just out of habit. And he happened to have some fond memories of angling, thus he cast off. The whine of the reel as line shot across the air, the little float diving deep into the water before popping back up. It took a few moments to settle, long enough for Darkblade to lounge back upon his recliner throne.

Time passed as he relaxed, watching that little float. Waiting, fishing was a dull ‘sport’ for about ninety percent of the time. But it gave him time to think about things, he’d really hit a bit of a slump of late. The adventures he crafted were not enticing people enough, and when they were enticed, well, it was very much like fishing. Waiting for ages, till they posted, then he could strike with a post of his own. He recalled the days he actually had to work hard to keep up with all the adventures that he was involved in, long gone, and in a sense that was a good thing. Gave him more time to think on how to improve the quality, than keep up with the quantity. But then the waiting around was driving him insane, well more it seemed to be more exhaustion.

Self pity wasn’t really in his nature, he was after all Darkblade. And Darkblade had all the confidence of the omniverse, things would rebound in time. All he had to do was wait it out, and continue coming up with new worlds for adventures to take part in. Which meant he need to vent his exhaustion on something, and right now that meant the poor fish in this lake. His float bobbed, a nibble, then sank. He rose quickly pulling up the rod, and with a flick pulled the rod’s end up into the air and sank the hook deep into the poor fish. It fought back, pulling against the line and bending the rod.

Darkblade found it odd, this fish was putting up a fight much more than he’d expect it to. The minutes had ticked away and it was till pulling with a ferocity he’d probably attribute to a larger fish than this lake could hold. Well at least it make this choice of a holiday activity worth it, as he preferred a challenge to the easier victory he expected to end up with. But he noticed the sun had begun it’s descent, and he rather not have to spend the entire evening to land a single fish. Summoning his power the reel squealed as the line was drawn in with supernatural haste, Darkblade’s eyes rolling as the ‘fish’ broached the surface. As there in all his tiny glory was Chibi, just once, couldn’t he have a day without this little menace ruining his fun?

“Mehmoo!”

TwisterZaraku
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TwisterZaraku » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:38 am

The Iowa Jackaroo wrote:
Howdy.

Been a bit since I done seen anyone round these parts. Not since my Pa went and...

That's who gave me this here hat, reckon. Him and me used to go whack some cattle, that's how it got this cow-print on it. Those were the days…

Pa… In all my born days I never seen a man more fine. He could talk a donkey’s hind leg off, though.

He used to say, "a day above snakes is a good day", and hand to God I still hold it as we speak. Funny how that works...

I remember Pa's sternness. Ha, how could I not? He was mean enough to eat off the same plate with a rattlesnake.

Matter fact, when I'd act out, he would just look blue at me and it would be enough to hammer the horseshoe. He had that sort of presence.

Ha, there were even times when I’d get a whuppin’, he'd beat me like a rented mule and tan my hide good, but dang if he wan't ace-high among the spades.

Ma used to say his attitude would get him into trouble one day, but she always was like a cat in a roomful of rockers.

It was good, then. Me, Ma and Pa. The fields and the shop. Life was grand on the ranch.

Then the war happened...

Before long, it was all the caboose. That’s all folks talked ‘bout. I member it started in the spring, but Pa left in the summa of '61 when he enlisted becase of Mr. Lincoln’s request...

I never did understand me any of that jargon. All I knows is the buckaroos down south must have a whopper of a ranch if they need that much help.

Anyhow, becase Pa went to heel with Johnny Reb, Ma became a California Widow and needed my help with the shop so we could makes us some tin.

Then, once summa came rolled 'round, she needed help with the harvest. Since I had me my learnin’ books, workin’ the ranch was tight scrougin’, so I hung it up like the rest of the folk out here. Never did get no farther than the second grade.

Pa wrote me letters from out on the front, and Ma would read em’ to me. Said it was my ‘patriotic duty’ to take care of Ma while he was gone.

And I did. For two summas.

Then the Marshal's came in '63…

They brought home bad medicine… and with it, Pa's hat. The very hat I'm wearing.

I wore my best bib and tucker when we buried him on a warm summa day underneath his favorite willow down by the crick.

I never did set with that... I pleaded with God to bring him home to me, but it wan’t worth a hill of beans.

It just goes to show…

You can put your boots in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits…

I was acock, but Ma had it worse. She had gone all wample-cropped.

She started to look for him in drink, but I don't think she ever found a bottle he could fit in. She was just barkin' at a knot.

Eventually, she just... stopped.

I buried her the next summa next to Pa, covered in her favorite butterfly weeds…

Now... Now I'm in a bad box. Now I'm here.

It's summa, so it’s harvest, but I don't know how to man the carriage to drop the grain off down to the railhead.

Ma never learned me the horses…

I have to get it there, else I cain't eat come winta.

I also have to run the shop, but recently had me a business whelp come, uglier than a mud fence, and talk me something ‘bout 'taxes'. I never heard of it, but he's sayin’ he could come and take the farm and the house if I don’t mop it up.

Pa never learned me ‘bout no taxes...

I cain't do any of this, not by a long chalk…

Now I need to brisk up, but I just don't know how… I'm still somewhere between grass and hay since I'm turning twelve in the fall…

And becase of this war, I'm left with nothing...

Nothing, but my boots... and my hat.
Spoils of the civil war: a young cowboy is left with the responsibility of his family farm after his parents pass. Inspired by my trip up to Montana and Wyoming this week.
Last edited by TwisterZaraku on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Poseidon

we made a Naruto story, cuz we're basic bitches awesum
Written by TwisterZaraku and Kiryuku
www.naruto-junishi.com

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 am

I have mixed feelings about summer, but I can feel it here in the air. The rising heat, the extended hours beneath the warm ball of fire that hangs in the sky. I can see it in the way the hatchlings are more steady on their feet and the way the rivers shrink.

Summer is coming.

It's a great time of year; the babies grow more independent, they began to learn to stretch their necks up to the leaves for food or dive into the lakes for the plants that grow there, and there is a feeling in the air that makes even the eldest in our herd feel young and playful. Like the winter, though, summer brings its own set of problems. Food grows scarce, and we are at an increased risk to become victims of the more vicious, sharper toothed types.

Still, there was something beautiful about summer. Even with the struggles to find food, the members of our herd come together to help one another. We work together with the other herds; those with wings, those with horns, and those with the very long necks. There is something special, to me, about a group of very different dinosaurs all working together for a common purpose. Even when the dinosaur eaters come, we will all be working together.

Summer, I think, brings us all together.
I chose to write about summer from the POV of dinosaurs! Not sure what the land was like back then, but I imagine in some areas finding green, nutrient-rich plants was hard to do, but I liked the idea of having a positive view of the warmer months. Word count: 227
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Adventurer

Post by GamerScribe » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:57 am

"Just know; this isn't your fault, darling. It isn't anyone's fault. This is just the nature of things. The nature of, well... nature.

I know you put in a lot of work this season; fairy rings in the woodlands, fresh flowers along the roadways and the plains and oh those sweet little spring showers you directed were just lovely. But I'm afraid it all has to go. And before you get underway with your whining and your tears know that I'm being generous here. After all; I really liked your work, and while I'm going to tear it all apart I'm also NOT going to tear you apart.

So you just slip back to the high court and take yourself a rest, darling. Go take a nap in my dear departed sister's bed and I'll handle things for a bit. You can try again next year... though; I'll do the same again.

See I'm thinking it's going to be a scorcher this summer. I'm thinking searing heat will wilt the flowers. I'm thinking your fairy circles will rot under the sun's gaze. I'm thinking the world you nurtured with soft rainfall will crack and fall apart as the world goes dry and the plants and people die. I think that I will personally see to the imprisonment or execution of every dewdrop pixie or dryad under your command...

And I want you to know; this is just the way of things. This is just the natural order. But I also want you to know that I will absolutely enjoy every moment of ruining all your hard work."

267 Words
I chose to write a villainous monologue about the Queen of Highsummer, an archfey of the Court of Summer casting the young replacement archfey of Spring from her position of prominence for the first time. This is meant to symbolize the changing of the seasons, and considering how hot it is where I live I decided to make the archfey of Summer a wicked and cruel entity who would taunt and toy with her counterpart as she took her place.
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Day 172

Days pass slowly here, the monotonous droning of cicadas as a lulling sort of soundtrack. I can barely remember when I arrived here, or when I’m supposed to leave. 172—a number, but what does that mean amongst all the 171s and 173s? All that exists is the sun, the humidity, the grass, and the cicadas. There’s no rustling of leaves, no soft breeze kissing my nose, no lapping of water on a nearby shore. Those are commodities that no one can afford; our four-leaf clovers ran out buying heat in the winter. I’m numbed by the monotony. Perhaps I could will a flower to grow and remind me why I’m here, lying surrounded by the cacophony and the sunshine. I don’t suppose it would grow, though it might raise its petaled face to mine with contempt and then disappear back into the earth. The heat is sweltering. My ears only hear the constant rhythm. I wouldn’t blame the bloom for being upset.

Word Count: 164
Often, summertime is thought of as a lively time, but I wanted to capture the dreamy type of sleepiness that accompanies the heat. Instead of focusing on the light and jubilant, I chose to take a look at the heavier and more constraining qualities that summer can embody.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: [RPC O] Word Sprint #2 [Closed]

Post by Forge » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:35 am

Gather round, mortals. The scores for the second Word Sprint have been counted, and the final results are as follows;

In third place...
Athena/Gina, representing Team Zeus!
In second place...
Twist, representing Poseidon!
And finally, in first place and taking the gold for them and their team;
Scribe, for Team Zeus!
Well done to each and every one of you for your work on this one!
Remember to vote for RPGC!