It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

Scheduled Maintenance
06 Nov, 11:30pm MST - 07 Nov, 11:30pm MST
You may experience minor interruptions, but the site will remain active!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Goodbye Possums <3

Along with the shoutbox and lounge, general discussions and anything else that doesn't quite fit elsewhere, can be found within. Please remember to adhere to the PHPBB Terms of Use and to the Rules and Regulations at all times. No mature content permitted.

Moderator: Forge

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Goodbye Possums <3

Post by Sammy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:21 pm

I am going to try and keep this short and sweet but we’ll see what happens! After much thought, I have decided to step down and join our other long-lost members in the RPC funded Retirement Home in the Sky. This is a decision I’ve been battling with for some time and realllly isn’t one I’ve come to lightly.

Some of you are aware that I’ve been dealing with all manner of health issues over the past few months which has given me a lot of time away from screens to think about my life, the direction I want it to go in and the aspects of it I want (or need) to prioritise going forward. For a long time, even when my interest in RP was obviously starting to tail off, I felt like I couldn’t leave firstly, because I was worried what would happen to this place if I did and secondly, because I had put so much time into this place that stepping away somehow felt like wasting all of that. Now though, I’ve come to realise that I’ve had some wonderful moments, IC and OOC, helped to foster a community where so many awesome stories have been told (and friendships been made) and that we have this super strong core that will survive whether I’m here to tend it or not. I don't need to keep putting myself through the less pleasant parts of job for the sake of it. I can redirect my focus to all of the things I really want to be working on. I don't want to say 'I'm done with RP forever, bye!' because historically this place has had a way of drawing me back in but for now and the foreseeable future there's just so much other stuff that needs or deserves my attention. I can't promise I won't occasionally lurk in the Literature Guild though, the lure of discussing books with people might be too strong.

I have absolutely loved being a part of this community. This place (and, most importantly, the people in it) have sometimes knowingly, often unknowingly helped me through some of the most difficult periods in my life either by lending an ear, making me laugh or just providing a much needed small window of distraction when things were tough. One particular night stands out when I expressed that I was having a bad day and needed a distraction and a bunch of us played CAH for hours. I did attempt to put together a list of names of people to thank individually but there were so many that it all started to get a bit overwhelming (not to mention the risk of leaving someone out) but I am sure you all know who you are :heart:. Though I will be leaving the Discord server, I will still be active on Discord itself so please don’t be strangers.

To my staff team - Gids, Forge, Deebz, who I’ve been doing this with since the start and Rick and Georgie who have been two most fantastic additions to the team - you guys are wonderful. I could not have wished for a more supportive, creative and fun group of people to do this with. Similarly, a big thank you to all of those of you have dipped in or out of the staffroom. The efforts you’ve all put into keeping this place going have all been so appreciated.

My final word to you all is just… please be kind to your staff team. They are here voluntarily to do their best to keep this place nice for y’all. I think I can speak (for the last time *sob*) on behalf of all of us when I say that we take absolutely no pleasure in issuing warnings or pulling people up on bad behaviour. It isn’t fun. We aren’t perfect but we have constantly strived to be fair and to make decisions based on what we hope to be the best interests of the community. Be nice to them, they’re all amazing (and I don’t want to be forced to return and kick some asses :wink: ).

I wish all of you all the luck in the world going forward. Keep writing and being awesome and thank you guys for everything. :heart:
Please remember to vote here everyday!

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Re: Goodbye Possums <3

Post by BrookeDi » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:38 pm

D: Sammy!

Hate to see you go, but you know what's best for you and I want you to be happy and healthy. I'll miss your enthusiasm, and well-worded arguments. <3

I hope your health improves and I'm generally around if you ever want to talk.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Palacia
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Vampire

Post by Palacia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Jeez, seems like the days of many friend departures are upon me. Such is life, and such is time...

I'll always hold onto my hopes of the long lost Salacia. I'll bring some puppies if that is what it takes.

I wish you well on your journeys and all that life can throw at you. Good luck and many well well wishes.

-- The 'alacia' from Salacia

Should have made your section of that name longer.
Image All credit to Forge, amazing work

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Post by Forge » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:15 pm

I don't know what I can say that someone else won't put more coherently. This forum and our community have been incredibly privileged to have you as part of the Staff. More than any of us you've poured countless hours into keeping the site active and entertaining, both in a front-facing sense and in terms of the work you've done behind the scenes to help RPC promote itself and grow. You've been a driving force behind god-knows how many of the clubs and contests and activities we still have going, and I very much doubt that there's a single person in this community who doesn't think the absolute world of you for it.

I can't pretend I'm not sad to see you step down. You've very much been the Star-Lord in our little Guardians of the Galaxy, and I know everyone in the staff room's going to miss you being a part of steering this place. God knows I will. But it shouldn't be something you have to put yourself through, especially at the expense of things that you'd be better off focusing on. Nobody could begrudge you stepping away from that.

On a personal note, thank you for being the best writing partner I could have asked for, for making me strive to be a better mod, and for just generally being pretty incredible. I wouldn't have done half of what I have in RPC without you helping/steering/pushing me along the way. I don't know what else to say, except that I genuinely wish you all the best. That feels inadequate, but I'm confident you'll go on to smash everything that comes next the way you've smashed every obstacle that's come your way as our fearless leader.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout
Class: Warrior

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:41 am

Good luck in all your endeavors Sammy, it's sad to see you go, but we'll be here if you ever decide to come back. I hope things go well on your end and that what you've decided to put your time and effort into flourishes in the best ways possible. May the wind be ever at your back.
"Only the insane equate pain, with success." -Cheshire Cat

MakingMoreStories21
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Mage

Post by MakingMoreStories21 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:57 am

I know I'm one of the asses you had to kick, but I truly hope I somehow made your time here better. I never knew you as well as some of our other friends did, but I do know you're a very caring and helpful person. I'm not sure what I can realistically write here so I'll just say: Happy trails, Sammy.
This is not your grave, but you are welcome to it.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:26 am

I'm at a loss on how to start, but here goes. I truly am sad to see you go, for so many reasons. You have made such a mark on this place through all your dedication, persistence, creativity, and savvy planning. Your guidance and leadership has made this site what it is. We are so lucky to have you as part of the foundation of the community. That being said, I more than respect your reasoning and am glad to see that you are putting your health and happiness first. You deserve all the joy that life can bring you.

I'm so happy I got to know you, and I'll be sure to keep in touch. Your advice is unparalleled and your sense of humor will be dearly missed. I really hope you decide to stop by once in a while; I'd love to know about your future adventures, whatever those may be. I have no doubt you will be successful in everything you do.

I wish you the very best :heart:

Rick
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Pirate

Post by Rick » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 am

Go out there and kick ass, Sammy.

Lida Liadon
Scout
Scout
Class: Werebeast

Post by Lida Liadon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 am

I feel like I wanna say something but as how I've been lately I'm at a lack of words, (or at least ideas x3) but here goes a shot in the dark and we'll see how it shakes out.

Sammy, you've been an amazing part of this place. It is sad to see you leaving as you have been one of those things I always think about (or at least associate) when I think of Our wonderful little community. I also don't see that changing anytime soon x3. That being said I can completely understand your reasons for wanting to take that step down.As I've been dealing with my own set of problems that have kept me from really doing anything creative. That being said I very much hope that you can come out of what you're dealing with better faster, stronger. I can say for sure that I am sad that there won't be another chance to make stories with you. (or at least lurk and read the ones you and others have made)

I've lost count of the years that I've had the pleasure to enjoy our little slice of the internet here, and even though we didn't really talk much over all the years, for one reason or another. (mostly my insecurity >.>) I will miss seeing you around here and I hope you have a wonderful time away, even if it is just for a while or forever it was a wonderful time with you here and I wish you luck on your future endeavors.

Sincerely The Furriest Fluffiest Little Forum Fox Lida :3

(P.S I may take you up on the Discord thing if for nothing else I'm planning a trip to your side of the world next year money willing and I may have questions, and from the few interactions we've had in the past you're a wonderful person I would like to get to know more :3)

Ruler_of_Wolves
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 am

Best of luck! Many asses will miss you, mine included. 👀 #SammytheQueen
"What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool at all. I mean, I had a mullet and wore parachute pants for a long, long time, and I'm doin' okay."

-Ellen DeGeneres

Darkblade
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Post by Darkblade » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:09 pm

I understand it, but I don't like it. As one of those who welcomed you to the mad house, it's not good to watch you leave. So hurry up and come back, even if it isn't to resume being admin. Mehmoo!

Cerulean
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Paladin

Post by Cerulean » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:39 pm

I honestly don't think I know you well enough to even say anything remotely worth reading with any real validity.

But I am here to say, it will suck not having you around. Mostly because I could tell in chat how well-liked you seem to be. I like well-liked people. XD

In any case, good luck and be as healthy as can be!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Post by Sammy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 pm

Thank you for all the lovely words, folks. :heart:
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Fireynay
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Fireynay » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 am

I know this is super late, but I honestly didn't know what to say. You really will be missed, Sammy. The enthusiasm you put in to running this place, keeping it going and expanding it is truly incredible. The community was truly lucky to have you at the helm. Don't worry about us, there's plenty of us who won't let this community die. It will always be here waiting for your return, to join us lowly members lol, then the newbies won't understand why we love you so much until we tell them ;).

Please stay in touch, but go and look after yourself too. That's what is most important. Good luck with everything you do.
Thank you Forge for the amazing set!