Let the GAMES begin!

Olympic Contest Results - Going live over the course of the week!

IC RPC Olympics - The Sprint! - Results are now up!

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

A fond farewell

Along with the shoutbox and lounge, general discussions and anything else that doesn't quite fit elsewhere, can be found within. Please remember to adhere to the PHPBB Terms of Use and to the Rules and Regulations at all times. No mature content permitted.

Moderators: Dionysus [Rick], Hades [Forge]

Śaraṯkṣati
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Warrior

A fond farewell

Post by Śaraṯkṣati » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 am

Well, folks, I reckon that time eventually comes for all of us. My interest in RPing has dwindled steadily these past few months, and between that and the ever-increasing hustle and bustle of life, I've decided to bid RPGC, and forum RP in general, a fond farewell. I will probably stay in the Discord server, but I suspect I won't be able to chat there as much as I used to, so it'll mostly be for ease of communication if anybody wants to hit me up. To those of you I've gotten to know, RP alongside, and chat with to some extent in my time here-- to name just a few, Forge, Rick, TheWrongGuy, Filth, Lida Liadon, Narwhal, Cross, and of course my Tosspot Takedown Teammate herself, Sammy, without whom I wouldn't have ended up here when I did-- were I to write testaments to my regard for each of you this post would end up a mile long, so let me just say that y'all have been the best and I hope we can stay in touch. To those of you who have only recently joined and whom I didn't have the opportunity to get to know, I hope you'll find RPGC as wonderful a community as I have these last three years.

To cap things off, I'll quote the last words of the thoroughly unspectacular President Zachary Taylor: 'I regret nothing, but I am sorry that I am about to leave my friends.' This seemed like a more fitting way to end this post than the last words of his successor, Millard Fillmore, who on his deathbed left to posterity the words "The nourishment is palatable."
In the book of my heart, there is nought but you
In every word, every sentence, and every page.

Dionysus [Rick]
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Pirate

Re: A fond farewell

Post by Dionysus [Rick] » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

I hate goodbyes, how do you tell someone that is leaving that you want them to stay?

You are an inspiration, Sarat, you are incredibly smart, witty, funny, kind, generous, complex, and probably the most interesting person here. Thanks for giving me the chance to take part in Afterdark, while it didn't get very far, I enjoyed every second of this magnificent world you created.

I am sad to see you go but I wish you the best in whatever you do next. Hopefully it's a book because I want to read a story you write. It would be a crime to keep all those great ideas of yours locked away.

Thanks for the music and the laughs.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Post by Sammy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 am

I should have realised something had gone awry when you started making puns... :no:

I can honestly say with absolutely no exaggeration that letting you know about RPGC was one of, if not the, best forum decision I have ever made and this place just isn’t going to be the same without you in it.

You are, without any shadow of a doubt, one of the most talented writer’s I have ever been lucky enough to collaborate with and I have enjoyed each and every one of our creative forays, even the discussions that never quite took off for us. I am going to miss your fantastic posts, your RP concepts, your poetry and even the character sheets that you always managed to make significantly more interesting than the norm. You are unbelievably talented and I very much hope that you keep finding ways of sharing that with the world.

More importantly, though, you’re just a top notch human being. You are crazy smart, the absolute best online debater I’ve ever seen, compassionate, funny and have been such a fantastic sounding board and voice of reason not just in the staff room but on a personal level as well. I feel very lucky to have been the other half of our Tosspot Takedown Team :heart: but even luckier to have you as a friend. Going to miss having you around like crazy so you best be making good on the claims to stick around a little on discord. Who else is going to show up and quietly judge me during all my worst moments? :xeyes:

All the best, my lovely! And please don’t be a stranger! :heart: :heart:

P.S. You’re not going to be able to get rid of me.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Hades [Forge]
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Warrior

Post by Hades [Forge] » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:11 pm

I'm not so good at this, and there's very little I can say that Sammy and Rick haven't, but I'll have a go.

Sammy hit the nail on the head when she said that letting you know about the site was one of the best decisions she's made. Between the quality of your work, your creative drive, your fantastic taste in 13th Century poets, your encyclopedic knowledge of presidents and your drive to keep the Discord meme-free, there really isn't anyone quite like you. You're one of the most talented writers I've ever been fortunate enough to meet, and it's been an absolute privilege to work with you, both in a creative sense and as part of the Staff team. The site is definitely losing something great here.

That said, my greatest regret in this instance is that the Wolf never got to eat Ipotane.

I sincerely hope your move away from forum RP doesn't translate to a halt in writing overall. Take Rick's advice (something I never thought I'd say). Write a book. We'll all come down and hassle you at your first signing. In all seriousness though, I wish you all the best in whatever you do from hereon out. Please don't be a stranger.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Nicodemus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Nicodemus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Wow, this feels like the end of an era.

I came to RPGC (and roleplay in general) to learn from other writers and I feel I got that in spades when I found your works, Sarat. Reading "Justice" is still one of the best times I've had on the site and I'll always be a fan of the world you made.

Well, now that I'm posting here I don't know what to say. You're one of the most memorable intellects I've had the pleasure of knowing, and what you add to the site will be sorely missed. Best of luck, in writing and in life.

Fireynay
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Werebeast

Post by Fireynay » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:11 am

I'm so sad to hear you're going Saratk! Like the others said, the place definitely won't be the same without you. I never got chance to RP with you directly (to be honest the quality of your writing has always intimidated me). One of my goals was to one day feel confident enough to join you but that won't happen now. I wish you luck for everything in the future, you really will be missed.
Thank you Forge for the amazing set!

Shea
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Post by Shea » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 am

Sorry to see you go, Saratk. I wish I could have gotten to know you better.

I've definitely looked up to you as a writer ever since you arrived here on RPG Collective not so long ago; your way with words is unlike anything I've seen on here or anywhere else, as is the total passion you put into everything you do.

Many warm wishes for your future :)

Moccasin
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Paladin

Post by Moccasin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:42 am

Goodbye, my goddess. May the grind be fruitful.

Athena [Georgeanna]
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Thief

Post by Athena [Georgeanna] » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 am

RPGC will not be the same without you, Sarat. You are so kind, responsible, a great punner, and an awesome person.

I enjoyed reading your writing in Majestic, and having pun wars where you definitely came up with the best ones. I wish that I had gotten to know you better, but I'm grateful for having met you. I wish you all the best and I hope you jump in discord every once in a while to say hello!

Everything you write is a brilliant example of knowledge put into action. Again, I wish you all the best~

nubite
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Post by nubite » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 am

So long Sarat, may your road be smooth.

Silverstag
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Werebeast

Post by Silverstag » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 am

It was a pleasure to converse with you the short time that we had. Farewell and take care of yourself!

Palacia
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Vampire

Post by Palacia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:15 am

Surely the discord will be a little less bright without Saratk. Who now will hold against the immeasurable hordes of meme posters... Who now will wield the ban hammer with such intelligent finesse. Worst of all, no longer will be blessed to receive such knowledge of the presidents from you.

さようなら。。。
Image All credit to Forge, amazing work

Creatress
Scout
Scout
Class: Pirate

Post by Creatress » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 am

So long! We only got to RP a couple of times, and I'm sorry our space western 1x1 never got going. I enjoyed reading all of your writing though, and I wish I could have gotten to know you better before the end. Whatever you decide to do from here on out, I wish you all the best!

Thanks to Treble for the beautiful sig and avi!

Cross
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Cross » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Is it really me, if I'm not just a little late? It's unfortunate how much time seems to be catching so many of us lately. I do hope we can continue to be pals - I'll try to do better about reaching out.

You were always a sight to see - keep knocking over words just the way you do.
Vote here and here everyday!