Let the GAMES begin!

Olympic Contest Results - Going live over the course of the week!

IC RPC Olympics - The Sprint! - Results are now up!

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

About Collaborative Posts

Questions, concerns, suggestions, feedback, and polls. Ask for help, share your thoughts on the forum, or vote on the latest polls. Please check current threads to see if your question or suggestion has already been discussed.

Moderators: Sammy, Gideon

chaosDesigner
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Adventurer

About Collaborative Posts

Post by chaosDesigner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 am

So, on my rounds through the forums, I opened the RP pet peeves thread over on the Writer's Guild and found that most of you don't like how most unskilled RPers do dialogue-heavy scenes because they either have extremly short posts you cannot really work with or they have a lot of unnecessary fluff, so the other person has to respond late or simply move on with the story. Then collaborative posts were mentioned.

Honestly speaking, I've sinned of the above already, and it did bother me that I had to write so much stuff my character would say without knowing what the other person was gonna respond, but it just never occured to me that collaborative posts are a thing.

So, I wanted to ask you, more experienced RPers, how do you go about doing collaborative posts? I gotta be honest, the question sounds dumb even to me, but I have just never done a collaborative post before (figures, since I've only ever RPd through IM before joining here) and I'd like some tips for that.

Thank you, guys, for taking the time!
Chaos has been designed!!!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: About Collaborative Posts

Post by Sammy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 am

Hey Chaos,

These are just ways I’ve used in the past, sure there’s other approaches though. :smile:

1) You can start on your post and, when you reach a dialogue section where you anticipate another character would likely respond, send them what you have (via PM or IM or whatever works) and allow them to fill in their bits of dialogue as they happen.

2) You can have a chat with the person whose character you’re interacting with, discuss the conversation and see if they’re happy for you to write up what you’ve discussed independently - this one definitely requires a degree of trust, though. Alternatively, you can quickly hash out the dialogue and you just fill in the blanks and descriptive bits when it comes to writing it up.

3) Something I’ve just starting using with Forge is Google Docs which allows you to have collaborative document that both of you can work on at once. So I can write a chunk, have my character ask a question or pause for some kind of response and then Forge (either immediately or when he gets round to it) can add his bits in as we go.

Hope that helps!
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Hades [Forge]
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist
Class: Warrior

Post by Hades [Forge] » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am

Sammy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 am
3) Something I’ve just starting using with Forge is Google Docs which allows you to have collaborative document that both of you can work on at once. So I can write a chunk, have my character ask a question or pause for some kind of response and then Forge (either immediately or when he gets round to it) can add his bits in as we go.

I can't recommend this enough, by the way. Sammy actually got me into doing joint posts in the first place, and we've always done alright doing a bit a piece over the PM system, but Google Docs is a lot more flexible. You can tweak in real time, and add in little bits to their sections that you otherwise might not, which gives the whole post a better flow. Definitely one of my preferred options.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

chaosDesigner
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by chaosDesigner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:55 am

That's really helpful! Thanks, guys! I'll most definitely start using these methods.

The Google Docs method sounds really useful, but I'll have to see if I can do it on my phone... I actually deleted the app 'cause my storage was full and I didn't use it. Figures it would become useful shortly after. *Eye roll.* I'll see if I can open up some space for it.
Chaos has been designed!!!

Palacia
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Vampire

Post by Palacia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 am

Yeah for my previous, although not on the collective, collaboration project... well besides the one with Saku... I also used Google Docs/Drive, the comments feature was really helpful. I also found the Outline feature to be immensely helpful.
Image All credit to Forge, amazing work