We have a new Global Moderator! Congratulations Georgeanna!

It's new banner time and we need your help to choose one! Please head over to the poll and vote for your favourite.

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up!

Questions, Questions!

Questions, concerns, suggestions, feedback, and polls. Ask for help, share your thoughts on the forum, or vote on the latest polls. Please check current threads to see if your question or suggestion has already been discussed.

Moderators: Sammy, Gideon

Sea Lion224
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Adventurer

Questions, Questions!

Post by Sea Lion224 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:41 pm

Can I bring a character from an existing fandom into the mix bar?
Do I discuss ideas for rps in the OOC topic of a specific forum or in the ideas and suggestions topic? I'm so confused!
If I do use an already existing character, can I post a picture of him/her so another person knows what he/she looks like?
How do I post images and videos?

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Questions, Questions!

Post by Sammy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi Sea Lion, answers incoming!
Sea Lion224 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:41 pm
Can I bring a character from an existing fandom into the mix bar?
Do you mean a cannon character? Because then, my answer is an almost definite no. The best thing to do is to ask the GM of any RP whether they're happy with any character you have in mind. You can do this by posting in the RPs OOC thread or by PMing the person in charge of the RP.
Sea Lion224 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:41 pm
Do I discuss ideas for rps in the OOC topic of a specific forum or in the ideas and suggestions topic? I'm so confused!
The 'Interest Checks and Brainstorming' board is for any of the following: gauging interest before you put too much effort into a formal OOC post, suggesting a vague idea and asking others to help you build on it before it becomes an active RP, request RP partners, create new settings with the help of others etc. If you have a fully fledged OOC ready to go, I would suggest going straight to the relevant OOC board with your thread.
If I do use an already existing character, can I post a picture of him/her so another person knows what he/she looks like?
How do I post images and videos?
You can and I've included the code for both for you below.

Code: Select all

[img]<insert image link here?[/img]

Code: Select all

[BBvideo=560,315]<insert video link here>[/BBvideo]
Please remember to vote here and here everyday!

Sea Lion224
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Sea Lion224 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:12 pm

What's the shout box?

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Sea Lion224 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:12 pm
What's the shout box?
It’s just a chatbox where you can speak to other members.

Sea Lion224
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Sea Lion224 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 am

How do I end an rp, and how I know one is ended?

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:53 am

Sea Lion224 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 am
How do I end an rp, and how I know one is ended?
If you want to end an RP, you simply end it. Completed RPs will usually have [Complete] in the title.

Sea Lion224
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Sea Lion224 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:41 am

If I want to create/test out a character, should they know how the world operates, such as what sell phones are, what a TV is, what chairs are, etc? The one I'm doing in the bar is a mutant frog.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:51 am

Sea Lion224 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:41 am
If I want to create/test out a character, should they know how the world operates, such as what sell phones are, what a TV is, what chairs are, etc? The one I'm doing in the bar is a mutant frog.
That's more of a question for the GMs of individual RPs. But I think, by and large, unless you have a specific reason for them to be cut off from the rest of the world they're in/society as a whole, I would say yes.

Sea Lion224
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Sea Lion224 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Is the rping format on here slightly different when I'm used to? How do I get my characters to interact with others? In the bar, the last thing my character did was fall off a stool. I assume that might get someone's attention. I'm not trying to seem pushy, it just seems the method of rping on here seems different than I'm used to.

Lavorther
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Post by Lavorther » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:51 am

I've only been on here for a few days, but here's what I've noticed: people tend to quote the part of the message they're reacting to and then write their character's reaction to it below that. Like, if I was in that RP, I might quote the bit where your character falls off the chair and then write my character's response to that, then quote another bit (possibly from another message) and react to that too. Of course adding in my own unique elements wherever I like too, it's not just replying to others.

Another thing I've seen happening is people not quoting but instead just writing in their narrative that their character saw the event happening and then responding to that. I personally prefer the former since it's easier to find the bits related to your character and to locate the different interactions taking place at the same time, especially when there's a lot of people participating. That said, it's mostly personal taste and both methods seem to be accepted.

That's just my interpretation of it in my very limited time on this site though, maybe someone more experienced will come along could tell you more definitive guidelines.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:22 am

Sea Lion224 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:08 pm
Is the rping format on here slightly different when I'm used to? How do I get my characters to interact with others? In the bar, the last thing my character did was fall off a stool. I assume that might get someone's attention. I'm not trying to seem pushy, it just seems the method of rping on here seems different than I'm used to.
Hi Sea Lion,

In RPs like 'Nick's Bar' where there's often numerous characters split off into various groups of interactions, you're not always going to get a reaction to something immediately because characters might be otherwise distracted. Few pointers.

1) Aim to match the posting speed and post length of those you're RPing with. If you're only writing a sentence or two at a time in an RP where people seem to opt for writing a few paragraphs, you might find that you get fewer responses because you're not giving other players very much to work with. Try slowing it down and working more content into your posts and you might find that you get a higher level of engagement.

2) Try engaging with other characters and being proactive. This is a bar. Currently the person serving drinks is Nicodemus' character, Wes. If you're looking for interaction, maybe try something like getting his attention or asking for a drink? If this is your characters first time in this particular bar, you might ask about its history, how long it's been there, who runs it. Maybe if you character is sociable, they might ask for Wes' name, make small talk?

Nicodemus
Scout
Scout

Post by Nicodemus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Sea Lion224 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:08 pm
Hey, Sea Lion. I'm Nico (running Wes in Nick's Bar). You've already gotten some good pointers from the above posts, so keep at it in the bar.

I'm somewhat new to roleplay, and it took me a while to get the feel for the always open RP's. As mentioned, a lot of posters means things can get hectic. I've found that when I try to respond/react to everything going on in Nick's Bar I end up with a lot of head nods that don't really lead to interaction, opposed to focusing on one or two characters and giving them something to play off of. In fact, I almost had Wes check on your character, but his duty called when a customer waved him over.

As Sammy suggested, you could have your character order a drink or otherwise get involved at the bar. Treat it like an actual bar. Try to find a spot to slip into a conversation (perhaps in whatever may come in Wes' and Adara's interaction). And the more hook you give to catch our characters' interest, the more in depth we can make the response.

Hope we helped ;)

Sea Lion224
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Sea Lion224 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:36 am

I am thinking of creating a birdman oc for the menagerie rp, but I'm having trouble with the appearance and backstory. I don't know wether to make it have the head of a bird with the body of a man, head and legs of a bird with the torso of a man, or an anthropomorphic bird with arms and hands instead of wings.
Also, what if I were to create a very quiet and shy character? How would interactions go?

Sea Lion224
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 am

Where should I go to get some help with character creation?

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:57 pm

You can request writing assistance over in the Writer’s Guild.