WELCOME TO THE COLLECTIVE!

A HUGE congratulations to our October 2017 Member of the Month!

We have a few new bits for you to look at:
So You Want to be a Moderator?
Annual Award Nominations
Storycraft - An RP Contest

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up!

Filth's Mentor Office

For the Mentors of the Academy

Moderators: Filth, Kotorchix

Filth
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Adventurer

Filth's Mentor Office

Post by Filth » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:16 am

"You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair–
the sense that you can never completely put on the page what’s in your mind and heart.
You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names.
You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world.
Come to it any way but lightly..."

Welcome.
Name: Filth
Areas of Expertise:
★ Persona Creation [Linkage]
★ Character Creation [Linkage]
★ World Building [Linkage], [Linkage]
★ Post Writing (General, Dialogue, etc.) [Linkage]
★ Combat Posts [Linkage], [Linkage]
★ Creating and starting an RP [Linkage], [Linkage], [Linkage]
★ General "Do and Do Not's" of RP writing that so often get overlooked
★ Just about anything else

RP Writing Biography: I've been RPing in various forms for over two decades and been part of this community since 2006. I've dedicated as much of my time as possible to bettering myself as a writer and learning as much as I can about the craft in both formal and informal ways. However, I in no way consider myself an expert because the day I stop learning is the day I lose my passion for writing. If you're coming to me to be your mentor, then my goal is to share whatever knowledge or experience I have that will best benefit you in whatever way will help you the most. Whether it's answering a simple question or working with you on whatever you want help with for as long as you need it. I'll be around..

Preferred Method of Contact: Shoot me a PM, post here, or contact me on skype: tenacious.apathy (just make sure to include that you're from the forum)
"...Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page."
—Stephen King

Filth
Journeyman
Journeyman

Filth's Office: Writing Samples

Post by Filth » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:37 am

Post Sample 1 from Harmonized
Ash took a deep breath and counted to ten before stepping back out of the backroom and into the sea of guests. He was, with good reason, uncertain of his ability to maintain a "cheery" enough personality around such people, surrounded by such opulence. He had been anxious about the thought of trying to fit into such a setting since the briefing and now every sideways glance, every word whispered as he passed by, ate away at what stability he was able to maintain. He could not shake the idea that they somehow knew, just knew by looking at him that he did not belong.

He caught a glimpse of Sato moving through the guests and thought of how naturally she took to this like she had been a part of this setting her entire life. He found a balance in her, something that took the edge off his anxiety and kept him just at the brink of losing himself entirely. Despite, this he wanted to slip back into the kitchen and hide from this. Hiding like a coward until something more suited to his life experience and personal skillset arrived. For all his bravado and calloused knuckles and hearing loss from gunfire, he thought to himself, this terrified him. Like the scared little bitch you are, past voices sounded in his mind. Then he thought of Felix....

Post Sample 2 from Dirge of the Sun: Prologue
The Arc Engine, A fusion of The Izzit Guild's technology and Ascen Guild Runecrafting, powering three hundred tons of dwarven steel in the form of a train engine carving a path through the sacred forest of the Godswood and leaving a scar of broken trees, shattered stones, scorched urth, and whatever wildlife failed to get out of its way. Despite the knowledge of the damage to lands Donovan's faith considered holy, there was some satisfaction in knowing he was doing what must be done even if the entirety of the church believed the Dawnguard's cause foolish heresy.

The Dawnguard were heretics in the eyes of the church now and he found a strange joy in that. How many heretics had he himself slain in the name of Lythandra and her daughters? Perhaps a hundred. Perhaps more? A smile crossed his mind while his face remained stone. It was a sin of pure arrogance to enjoy knowing he and the Dawnguard were alone on the righteous path. He would pay penance when the end times were avoided...

Persona Creation Sample from Filth: The Uncrowned King
Dangerous, cunning, and unpredictable, Filth is a powerful force of primordial elements whose seemingly chaotic behavior belies a dispassionate and calculating mind. A master of planning and deception, he frequently achieves his aspirations through brute force or manipulation of others with a complete disregard of the consequences to anyone but himself. While his indifference to good qualifies him as evil, he only seeks to satisfy his insatiable need to satisfy urges for sex, violence acts, and a tenacious curiosity about all things.

Created as one of eleven hierophants for an eldritch god Filth simply refers to as the Oblivion or the Oblivion Squid, he is awakened with shattered memory and sense of his former humanity. For centuries he carried out Oblivion's will...

Wayward
Scrub
Scrub

Re: Filth's Mentor Office

Post by Wayward » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:09 am

What are the "Do's and Do Not's" mentioned above?
-Your friendly neighbourhood Realmstalker

Filth
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Filth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:59 am

While there are always exceptions, some basics off the top of my head:
  • Do: stay in communications with your writing partners. Too often the OOC's get used for setup and then fixing oversights in posts that might have been avoided if everyone was actually communicating with one another.
  • Don't: change up POV or tense without some kind of reason. Third person, past tense, is generally a safe bet but there's plenty of times when switching things up might actually improve a post.
  • Do: let others in the RP know if you're not going to be able to post for awhile. Depending on the pace of the RP, a week might be too long for a delay or perfectly fine. Still, try to let others know. Real life always take precedent so there's no need to feel guilty if you gotta step away.
  • Don't: be afraid to summarize stuff. There's rarely a reason to write out every little detail of pouring a mug of coffee or walking down to the local cleric. Some definitely enjoy that sort of thing and there's nothing wrong with that style but this mostly plays into the next don't...
  • Don't: feel pressured to stuff your posts with filler just to match other people's post lengths. This is probably the biggest issue I hear from people new to forum RP.
  • Most importantly... Do: remember to just have fun and harass the staff with any all questions you might have.

Wayward
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Wayward » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:39 am

Aye aye! *salutes respectfully*
-Your friendly neighbourhood Realmstalker