It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

Scheduled Maintenance
06 Nov, 11:30pm MST - 07 Nov, 11:30pm MST
You may experience minor interruptions, but the site will remain active!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Your RP Pet Peeves

A board for the discussion of anything related to writing or roleplay. Here you can request feedback on anything writing-related, whether it be an RP concept, world building, character sheets or general writing, you can share guides and tips and encourage discussions on topics relating to writing and RP.

Moderators: Forge, Sammy

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Re: Your RP Pet Peeves

Post by Sammy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Filth wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:15 am
Kind of an odd one but I get a bit annoyed at the way paragraphs look on the forum. The lack of being able to indent, leading to needing to leave a blank line between them which just makes short paragraphs look terrible. Even knowing a sentence long paragraph is fine, I still find myself revising short paragraphs to fill them out a bit. I think this is what leads me to the minor pet peeve I have with the propensity people have to combine what would be better served as separate paragraphs just to avoid having only a single line or two by itself. Least that's my guess why some people do it.

I also have a slight annoyance with more than two bits of dialogue in a single paragraph. Especially, when that dialogue would be served better as the start of a new paragraph on its own. I'm guilty of this too.

"Tell me then, what would you have us do to fix this issue?"

I dunno. Start using indirect speech to mix things up a bit more and lessen the need for single lines of dialogue? Filth shrugged and suggested members do what they want as his purpose wasn't to change anyone mind. He clarified that he just wanted to point out the odd, sometimes annoying nature of forum writing versus writing one might do for a novel.

"It is the point of the thread after all."
Yeah, the same thing winds me up when I have very dialogue heavy posts on the forum. That's why for my recent 20XX post, for the dialogue section I just went for a new line rather than the blank line I'd usually put between paragraphs. Otherwise the post would have looked a bit ridiculous aesthetically.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Filth
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Filth » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Sammy wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:14 pm
Filth wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:15 am
Yeah, the same thing winds me up when I have very dialogue heavy posts on the forum. That's why for my recent 20XX post, for the dialogue section I just went for a new line rather than the blank line I'd usually put between paragraphs. Otherwise the post would have looked a bit ridiculous aesthetically.
II hadn't even noticed till I went back to read it a second time. I'm not sure if I like it more or less aesthetically but if I read through it without noticing I might have to actually just roll with that next time.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Pet peeve feels too strong a term for this one but it's sooo frustrating when you really want to write for one specific character but the RP they're partaking in is moving slowly.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Post by Forge » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:34 pm

When you get that one character who just winds you up on a personal level, and makes you want to write in a way that's completely contrary to the character you're playing.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Nicodemus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Nicodemus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:38 pm

When reading RP's with several participants, making it through the entry posts gets tiring. This is through no fault of the writers, it's just rough getting invested in a character and then having to start all over six times before getting into a plot.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:53 am

This is far more of a pet peeve I have about myself than about RP in general. I have a tendency to get very preoccupied with accuracy and consistency which sometimes just makes it so difficult for me to enjoy group RPs (where there's so many people that ensuring you're all on the same page can be next to impossible) and in 1x1s that aren't with someone you feel really, really comfortable with. It's easier with someone you know well and write with a lot because you feel able to drop them a 'Think there might have been a miscommunication somewhere, could you tweak X please?' whereas with people you're not as comfortable with or don't know as well, there's that worry that you're coming off as a nag or a pedantic pain in the bum. Sometimes wish I could just let little things go and not allow them to irritate me.