Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

A Guide to RP

A board for the discussion of anything related to writing or roleplay. Here you can request feedback on anything writing-related, whether it be an RP concept, world building, character sheets or general writing, you can share guides and tips and encourage discussions on topics relating to writing and RP.

Moderator: Forge

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

A Guide to RP

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:42 am

So! Most of us on this site have been RPing for some time, and I thought maybe we could have a general thread where we share writing advice, RP advice, tips and tricks of the trade, and any ideas you think it would be helpful for new (and even experienced) role players to learn or remember. I also thought this could be a place where people could seek advice on things they have trouble with.

For instance, I continually have trouble writing in the passive voice. I now have a better understanding of what passive voice is, but not any ideas on how to stop myself from writing that way.

I'll start.

First, if anyone has any advice on the above problem of passive voice, I'd love to hear it.
Second, how do you transition scenes in an RP setting? Sometimes I have trouble balancing letting people finish out whatever scene they're working on and moving the story forward. I'm afraid of cutting them off too soon, but if I cut them off too late some people have lost interest, and the rest of the stories die with it.

I don't have any general writing advice at this moment, so I'll start with that. :>
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you."
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Re: A Guide to RP

Post by Ghostwriter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Why would you want to use passive most times over active? Maybe Im not understanding the problem, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean. I actually havent even heard active vs passive in probably 20 years since I was in highschool~

Googling it to refresh myself I found this. https://www.autocrit.com/blog/easy-way- ... e-writing/

But that only brings me back to what I said first, whys it matter or why would you want to?

Anyway, for transitions I've always just went for the scenic approach. Describe a scene transition like you imagine it in a tv show. A short example would be like, "The sword flashes out, momentarily blinding the attacker. The sparkle of light reminded me of times fishing on the water with my father." Or you could just use the classic "... meanwhile..." Like "The sword flashes out, momentarily blinding the attacker... meanwhile... Johny sat on the dock staring out over the water, waiting for his fathers return."

If its just a case of worrying about cutting people off, that just comes down to proper communication. You can ask everyone if theyre ready, or if they mind moving on. Or you could tell them something like "After so and so posts, I'll be moving the scene forward." Basically its always best to make sure everyone is communicating... most stories die [imo] because people go silent.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:49 am

I don't want to write in passive voice, but I can't seem to stop writing in passive voice. It's a default; I don't realize that I'm doing it until I go back to re-read my stuff.

I usually let people know, "Hey, I'll be moving things forward in x amount of posts or x amount of days" because I've found that if I leave it sitting for too long to wait for them to wrap up, then things start to die out. I still feel bad about cutting a scene 'short,' so to speak.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Post by Ghostwriter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:56 am

Well if I knew the secret to preventing forum rps from dying out, Id probably be the most popular person here~ :p Honestly tho, I don't know... I always figured it had something to do with a failure in communication and people getting bored or busy. Thats why I think most of the rp's still happening lately are usually with the same group of friends, cuz they already communicate well, know each other, or are comfortable with each other and know what to expect. Whether thats good or bad who knows, but it could easily be why some newer people have harder times getting into RPs. >.>

Thats why I always ask first thing, what the expected posting turnaround times would be. It helps to set some expectations ya know? Or so Id think, but even doing that I've had RPs die on me :/
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

Dazargeros
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dazargeros » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:13 am

Type fast, post swift, don't let your RP's die so quick.
I'M GOIN' TO JAEL! - https://wafflecows.wixsite.com/fearlessstrangers
Your lad, one and only, abroad this endless journey.

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:15 am

Dazargeros wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:13 am
Type fast, post swift, don't let your RP's die so quick.
I mean, I can post as fast as humanly possible, but I can't control the speed at which other's post. :P
- Maya Angelou

Dazargeros
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dazargeros » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:20 am

YOU GIVE THEM THEIR DAMN TIME, BROOKE -- EVEN IF IT TAKES 10 YEEEEEEEARS :pissed:

In all seriousness though, yeah, you can't control HOW fast they post, but you can encourage them, or remind them to do it if they forget...
I know that's usually the problem with some folks, they get hopped up on other things, maybe even other RP's, and so they forget.

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:22 am

Hey, if someone posts in an RP after 10 years, I'm considering it active and I'll pick up where I left off. xD

But, yeah, it's easy to forget sometimes. Trying to balance between poking people and being obnoxious is... hard. Eventually people get sick of being hounded. It'd be easier if more people were willing to say "hey, I'm no longer interested..."
- Maya Angelou

Dazargeros
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dazargeros » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:31 am

Usually you can tell if someone's still interested in a subject/RP still.

If they're still talkin' about it and asking questions about your character, or world, it's pretty easy to assume they're enjoying themselves with the writing

Another way, which is the most simplest, is that they're quick to respond.

--Yeah, it would be nice if people WEREN'T so "nice" all the time, and trying to just let an RP die off silently. I feel like people do that only when they start to get really worked up irl, or they dislike the RP, but like the person OOC, so they're trying not to be rude and say things like "I wasn't enjoying the RP..."

Sometimes in that case though, people begin to drag on the RP, and their posts get worse, and then they get burnt out, and you're just sittin' there, blankly staring at your screen :l, wondering how to even respond to their dry post.

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:38 am

Unfortunately, I think some of that is just the nature of forum RP. Then again, there are some that are more successful that last a lot longer, so maybe I just need to do some research to keeping RPs alive. Hmmmmmm.
- Maya Angelou

Dazargeros
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dazargeros » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:51 am

It could be just Forum RP...
One of my friends on WoW has held RP up with another one of my friends for a couple years now...
Y'gotta be really inclined to keep up things like that, and your time schedules/windows have to be somewhat similar...
Especially using a 3d platform like a game, seeing as how you both have to be logged on, to actually RP out the detailed scenes.

From what I can tell though, the basic necessities to uphold a good a** RP, is just be responsive, be communicative, and to write in a story/setting you will legitimately enjoy for a long period of time.

Dazargeros
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dazargeros » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:04 am

I'd say another tip for RP, would to be consistent in the role in which your character serves as, or their attitude/personality. I struggled with it for a time, basically I played as a character who was three different characters, but still the same character

Although it can be fun... It's very difficult for people to figure out the motives of your writing/character.

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:21 am

Dazargeros wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:51 am
It could be just Forum RP...
One of my friends on WoW has held RP up with another one of my friends for a couple years now...
Y'gotta be really inclined to keep up things like that, and your time schedules/windows have to be somewhat similar...
Especially using a 3d platform like a game, seeing as how you both have to be logged on, to actually RP out the detailed scenes.

From what I can tell though, the basic necessities to uphold a good a** RP, is just be responsive, be communicative, and to write in a story/setting you will legitimately enjoy for a long period of time.
I actually started out with RP on IMVU, which is a 3D chat client. It had it's own troubles with getting people's schedules to line up, and things halting when someone wasn't suddenly available, but having the 'live' RP flowing was nice. There are some tradeoffs, I think.
- Maya Angelou