Image Happy Spooky Month! Image

Check out the Olympic Finale!
An end to Olympian meddling - and a goodbye to a familiar face.

Halloween Hijinks!
Spooky goings on in the Sanctum!
A Creepy Collective Scavenger Hunt!
Our 'Terrifying Twos' two-line tale task!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Mute character

A board for the discussion of anything related to writing or roleplay. Here you can request feedback on anything writing-related, whether it be an RP concept, world building, character sheets or general writing, you can share guides and tips and encourage discussions on topics relating to writing and RP.

Moderators: Forge, Sammy

Lunion4saken
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Werebeast

Mute character

Post by Lunion4saken » Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 pm

I was wondering if anyone already roleplayed as one or with one? A completed mute character, don't doesn't have any help for translation of her gestual language.

I was thinking and it sounded fun to have one, but currently i think i´m not capable of doing one you need to be very good at describing the situation (one of my weakness), in order to the other players to understand. But wen i get better on that matter, i will try to do one. So my question is, is it fun to play as one? It is a Challenge to do a good one and that a check for a great character in my eyes.

(don't really know if this is the right place to post it, it's not a entirely off-topic topic xD)

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Re: Mute character

Post by Forge » Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Lunion4saken wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 pm
(don't really know if this is the right place to post it, it's not a entirely off-topic topic xD)
Howdy, Lunion. Just to let you know, I've moved this topic to our Writer's Guild. Whenever you're looking to get input about things like writing tips, or writing for particular character types, or anything else, this's the place to do it.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Lunion4saken
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Lunion4saken » Tue May 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks i only what to know if it funny to play as one.

Darkblade
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Post by Darkblade » Wed May 03, 2017 3:04 am

I've played two variations for the same mute, in both high fantasy and modern fantasy settings. Not overly challenging, and can be quite fun to do as long as one can keep the notion that as a mute they're limited in their ability to communicate their thoughts to others. Using notes helps, but should be used sparingly or it'll just lessen the impact that the character is mute.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Post by Sammy » Wed May 03, 2017 3:08 am

I don't really think anyone can tell you whether or not it's fun to play a mute character because there will be so much more to any character than just their ability or inability to speak. I've been involved with a few RPs where someone has chosen to play a mute character and it can definitely be a great addition to a story if it's handled well. You do have to think and focus a lot more on describing things like facial expressions, physical gestures etc. if you want to have any significant character interactions, however. I can imagine it could get boring fairly quickly if you're not constantly thinking about the ways in which people can interact with one another without necessary having access to speech.

I agree with DB as well - there definitely has to be more to it than 'the character cannot speak so just writes things down when they need to' otherwise I think it starts to feel more like a gimmick than a well-thought out addition to a character.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Lunion4saken
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Lunion4saken » Wed May 03, 2017 3:31 am

As I thought, i really need a lot of description, maybe later when i get good at it. I agree with that too, if i did one, i would cute all means of direct communication, to try and go for a full expressions, and gestures to say the same as i was talking.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Wed May 03, 2017 3:56 am

It's not quite the same as running a mute character, but Peter Newman's The Vagrant has a mute protagonist, and a lot of his communication is gestures and explicit facial expressions. The character actually exaggerates a lot of his expressions to get certain things across. Which is basically what Sammy and DB have said.

As part of a larger narrative/group RP, a mute character could work quite well. For smaller stories and 1x1's, I imagine the back and forth could get a little wearing.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Śaraṯkṣati
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Śaraṯkṣati » Wed May 03, 2017 6:02 am

Lunion4saken wrote:
A completed mute character, don't doesn't have any help for translation of her gestual language.
Not sure what you mean by this. No help for translation as in they cannot communicate with the people around them via sign language?
In the book of my heart, there is nought but you
In every word, every sentence, and every page.

Lunion4saken
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Lunion4saken » Wed May 03, 2017 6:04 am

Śaraṯkṣati wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:02 am
Not sure what you mean by this. No help for translation as in they cannot communicate with the people around them via sign language?

Yes, he or she can, but the othere can't, so it will obligate me, to think more of ways outside the box to communicate to the others.

Fiery Gatoh
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Nobility

Post by Fiery Gatoh » Sun May 07, 2017 3:44 pm

I've roleplayed a mute character before, and one of the protagonists of the story I'm writing at the moment is mute. I personally really enjoy writing characters who can't talk because I like writing indirect communication, however I've found that they tend to work better in larger group RP's since the lack of active communication can get a bit boring for people if you aren't careful.

Okapi
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Adventurer

Post by Okapi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:47 am

Lunion4saken wrote:
I was wondering if anyone already roleplayed as one or with one? A completed mute character, don't doesn't have any help for translation of her gestual language.

I was thinking and it sounded fun to have one, but currently i think i´m not capable of doing one you need to be very good at describing the situation (one of my weakness), in order to the other players to understand. But wen i get better on that matter, i will try to do one. So my question is, is it fun to play as one? It is a Challenge to do a good one and that a check for a great character in my eyes.

I have once roleplayed a mute ‘cat’ so I have a few ideas that can help here’s some tips:
  • if it’s a human in a world such as one like we live in, you could have them know sign language/write
  • if it’s not a human in a modern world, they can use body language more than most people typically do, ie pointing, acting out what they are trying to say, hypothetically they can mouth what they want to say if they are talking to someone who can lip-read, but ofcourse you have to arrange for the other being to make errors when reading their lips some
  • in italics or however you do it, you can display thoughts in their head. So the person your roleplaying with may have an idea on how to respond.
Now, I’ll admit I’m a semi-literate roleplayer and when I first started writing with mute characters I was having a heck of a time writing more than 1-3 sentences, but with a little practice I could write better with them.

Now below are a few examples of how to RP a mute character
If it were a cat (example from my old website)
Greenpaw focused on the cat telling him about how fun hunting was, he gave a nod of his head to display that he was understanding her. If only I could tell her how I feel about her. He pulled his lips into a smile and nervously rested his tail on her back flicking his eyes slightly back to her in fear she’d react, braced for a claw in his face. (TBH I still cannot do mute characters as well as non-mute characters because it lacks diolouge)
an example of a human in the modern world
Heather walked into school and spotted her friend, her only friend, Sasha, she did a sign to Sasha the sign meant one thing ‘How are you doing’ she pursed her lips as she awaited her friends response. Atleast Sasha understood sign language, no one but Sasha and her family did, which always made her sad, but no one knew that because they couldn’t understand her. She was like an alien an outsider, some said she didn’t belong, as if she were deaf. She hated how people treated her like she was deaf, their was nothing she could do about it, after all; she couldn’t speak up against it.
Hope this helped!