Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

*Post Your Fave Holiday Traditions*

Rather than delete old topics when they die or get too long and need to be remade, they will be moved here. Topics will locked but members are welcome to read them. Requests to have a topic restored can me made to any admin or moderator or posted in Help and Feedback.
Aya
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Mage

*Post Your Fave Holiday Traditions*

Post by Aya » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:04 am

So it's that time of year when mom gets her holiday baking done. The house smells delicious and you try to sneak a warm cookie off the plate when she's not looking. I remember helping my mom and my grandmother with the holiday baking/cooking when I was kid. How about you guys? Do you have a favorite food or baked anything that you remember when you were growing up. Maybe something that you still do as a family tradition. Have any awesome holiday recipes you would like to share with us? We would love to see and hear about them.

I remember helping mom make cookies. It was usually sugar cookies and we would make A LOT. They had to last. It was mostly cookies we made, but every now and then we'd also make cinnamon bread, and that was the best. I tried it once on my own after I moved out and.... let's just say I didn't realise my bread pan wasn't big enough and it seriously overflowed as it rose while it baked. It was still yummy, but it was a mess to clean up the oven. lol

EDIT: So I realised how easy to start talking about your traditions in here, so let's do that. The previous still stands, but feel free to throw in your traditions (past and present) as well.
You have all been amazing and I will miss you, but it is time for me to go.

Gideon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Rogue

Re: *Post Your Fave Holiday Food/Drink/Recipe*

Post by Gideon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:44 am

My Daddy was actually really awesome at making cakes and stuff. He made me this epic Mickey Mouse cake for my birthday one year. Anyway, at Christmas, we always made biscuits. Now, we were really poor, so we kinda cheated a bit for the first few Christmasses, until I was about 6 and then we started doing a bit better again. We used to get Arnots Arrowroot biscuits, which were just plain milk biscuits, very basic... And we used to make our own icing - usually just icing sugar, vanilla extract and some food colouring, but if we could afford Milo or Quix or any kind of drinking chocolate, we'd get that too, and then we'd make pictures on the biscuits with the icing. It was a lot of fun, something my Dad and I used to do together. Still makes me smile to think of all the things Dad and I did while we were poor... Best time of my life was the first six years alone with him :smile: :love:

I also saw this recipe the other day and my cousin said she'd make it for us for Christmas dessert! Recipe here.
Thank you for the set Filth
Please don't forget to vote here and here every day!

Aya
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Aya » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:48 am

I have a trifle recipe that my mom used to make when I was still living at home. Very basic. That one though, wow, amazing. I'm drooling over it.

Shewolf13
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Shewolf13 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:27 pm

For Christmas Day, we used to go to my Grandma and Grandpa on my Dad's side of the family. After my Grandpa died, though, things changed a bit. We would still go to their house, but it was never the same. One of the recipes I miss, especially because he made it, was what he called a sweet potato custard. We've had other family members make it and while it's good, it was never quite how he made it. It's funny the things we notice like that huh?

One of the other recipes I love is my grandma's ham gravy. Since we normally do a ham for Christmas, it's what I really look forward to because it's a bit sweeter than normal gravy.
Thanks so much for the set, Sammy!
Hey guys! Check out the Roleplay Academy! where you can learn from an experienced RPer, help out those who need it, or just have some fun discussions related to RP ^^

Aya
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: *Post Your Fave Holiday Traditions*

Post by Aya » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:48 pm

It's always the little things.

Also, I edited the main post. Just the last part.

Shewolf13
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Shewolf13 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:34 am

Aya wrote:It's always the little things.

Also, I edited the main post. Just the last part.
Yeah, it really is the little things. Now, growing up, we didn't really celebrate Christmas at our house (my mom was a Jehovah's Witness) but we did do something called Family Day. Basically, we didn't have a tree or any of the kind of decorations most have, but we did have a day we normally picked out in December or January (so my sister and I wouldn't be left out when all the kids at school were getting their presents). Of course, my sister would always be so excited. The rule was, though, no presents until we were all up, dressed (at least out of PJ's), and had eaten breakfast. I remember when we were really young, how we'd both be up super early and then we'd pounce on my parents. We'd snuggle in their bed for a bit before our excitement chased us all out. We'd get dressed in comfy clothes, then we'd help Mom make breakfast. Then it would be time for presents. As a kid, of course, that was always the best part lol

Now though, when we do our Family Day with my parents, our family has grown. You have my husband, my sister's fiance, and my niece. I love watching my niece do what my sister and I did when we were her age. She gets everyone up and then we eat breakfast. We all help, including my niece. And as my niece gets older, it's even more fun as she understands more and more about the world around her. Can't wait for our Family Day this year.
Thanks so much for the set, Sammy!
Hey guys! Check out the Roleplay Academy! where you can learn from an experienced RPer, help out those who need it, or just have some fun discussions related to RP ^^

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:48 am

My family has quite a few Christmas traditions. Every Christmas Eve, my mother and father would take us to a Chinese restaurant and enjoy a nice meal out. I always found that curious, until I found out that before I was born, when my father and mother had married and first moved in together, they had gone to a Christmas Eve service, before wandering about in search of dinner since their apartment had no kitchen. Every place was closed except a Chinese restaurant. Since then, they've always had Chinese on Christmas Eve.

Another event that invariably happens is the great Cat Climb. Our family owns two cats, a sweet but dozy Persian blue, and a very arrogant calico that belongs to my sister. This cat is absolutely mesmerized by Christmas trees, and will usually find a way into the living room, before climbing the tree with only her arms (she was declawed years ago), and batting at the shiny baubles that hang on the branches. We then have to dislodge her from the tree, which she sometimes has a death grip on. The cat's fled at a simple shout before, but other times requires spray bottles or even a broom. She's done this for ten years or so however, and she seems much less active than she used to, so maybe this tradition is thankfully over.

One of my favorite routines however was our ritual for Christmas morning. We'd wake about mid morning, dressed in our nicest pajamas and bathrobes, and then gather at the top of the stairs. We'd only go downstairs once everyone gathered at the top. Usually that meant waiting a good hour or so for our parents to get out of bed. Then we'd march downstairs, and spend the news few hours in the living room. We'd take turns opening gifts, watching the giftee with rapt attention, munching on fresh hot cross buns and drinking tea, while the radio played a dramatization of A Christmas Carol, followed by choirs singing Christmas carols and renditions of other yuletide songs.

This year I'm living on my own, perhaps twenty minutes away on foot. I'm planning on washing, shaving, dressing myself in my best nightwear and winter coat before walking over to celebrate with my family.

Aya
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Aya » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:07 am

So there's another tradition in my house that I have brought with me to my own home. It sounds really odd, but after I explain it you'll get it. We actually eat this for every holiday (3 times a year) but I don't celebrate easter anymore. They're called Log Cabin Potatoes. Why? Because they're mashed and shaped in the form of a log then deep fried. Keep in mind this is a two day job. After reading it over it's going to sound like a lot of work, and it kind of is, but once you've done it once or twice it's a breeze. You get a rhythm going and if you have at least one other person helping it's a fun tradition. You will also need a deep fryer. You can do this in a pan, but it should be a deep sauce pan and should have a lid to prevent oil spatter. I tried it in a pan the first time and then went out a bought a deep fryer because it's just too smokey and regulating the heat for the oil in a pan is not as easy as it sounds.

Basically you make mashed potatoes and season them to however you like to eat them (seriously, whatever you like to put in your potatoes, go for it, my husband and I started putting bacon in ours). Any liquid you add (like milk) should be a little less than normal though because they need to be a little stiff so you shape them. After you've mashed and added all your stuff just take a piece and roll it. If it's not too fluffy and holds it's shape it should be good. Remember, you can always add more milk later, but you can't remove it if you use too much. If you did use too much, you might still be ok because the whole batch goes in the fridge over night to cool (before you shape them). Seriously, you don't want to shape burning hot potatoes. Just put them in a large dish or put the whole pot in the fridge. Up to you.

Now, once they've had at least 8 hours they should be ready to play with. Take a spoon and scoop out a dollop of potatoes. Take it in your hand and start to mold it. You're trying to make a long oval-ish shape that's flat on the ends. They should be anywhere from 4-5 inches in length. You can make them any size want really, but I wouldn't go larger then 5 inches. You could even make them balls. Either way, don't make them too thick. An inch and a half in diameter will suffice. Have a cookie sheet ready with a sheet of wax paper to place the "logs" on as you go. Once you're done, cover the sheet in plastic wrap or another sheet of wax paper and put back in the fridge while you prepare the next step. You want those potatoes to stay cold. If they warm up too much they'll start to fall apart.

The next step requires a dish of fine crushed saltine crackers (and a second person as this gets messy and frustrating for just one person). Just get a box and throw them in a food processor. You want them to be a little like sand. The second dish should have eggs and milk. One splash of milk for every egg you use. Now, the tricky part is deciding how many you'll need. If you're making a lot for a big family dinner of say 5 people, then you'll have at least one full cookie tray of these potatoes. So, you'll probably use about 6 eggs (and maybe a whole box of saltines). What you're going to do, if you haven't already figured it out, is dip the "logs" in the egg mix then cover them in crackers. Have a second cookie sheet with wax paper ready to put them on as you empty the other tray. You want to get a good assembly line going for this and it will take no time at all. (I used to do this every year with my dad in front of the TV and watch star wars. Seriously, every time, it was so much fun) Once they've been dipped you can leave it at that or do it again and double dip them. (we always double dipped).

Now that they're covered, put the potatoes on their cookie sheet back in the fridge (covered with plastic wrap or wax paper so they don't dry out) and let the get cold again. An hour should be good for that.

Once they're ready get your deep fryer setup. You'll want the temp to be at about 375F. Depending on how big your fryer is you may only get 2-3 potatoes done at a time, but they only take about 2 minutes to fry anyway. Place them in the frying basket and slowly lower into the oil. 1.5 to 2 minutes later you can pull them out and transfer them to your serving plate. They should be a nice golden brown. If it's still a short while before dinner time you can pile them up and put them in the oven to keep warm.

Keep your first one aside and let it cool off a bit then do a taste test, because you have to do a taste test to make sure they're ok ;) And trust me, they will be amazing. In fact, they'll be so amazing that the rest of the family might not be able to handle them and you'll have to make the ultimate sacrifice and eat them all. :D They're great with gravy or without. If you have any left over they keep well enough in the fridge. If you want them crispy again then heat them up in the oven (or toaster oven), otherwise they microwave just fine too.
Considering the time needed to make these, it's a good idea to make a lot more than needed and then you can freeze them for later. Make it worth all the effort. They thaw just fine and you can reheat them as usual.

When we had these for christmas dinner we would make the mashed potatoes the afternoon before. Late morning or early afternoon. Then we rolled them that night. So long as they get at least 8 hours in the fridge to get cold. Back in the fridge and then late the next morning we would dip them. Back in the fridge until about an hour or 45 minutes before dinner time. Then fry them up.

If you actually want to try this and have any questions, feel free to PM me. I can make a more comprehensive explanation for you.