It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

A New Moderator Appears!
Join us in congratulating our newest recruit!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Prompt Club - Round 2

This forum is for members to share their original prose, poetry, and even fan fiction. Please be aware that The RP Collective takes plagiarism very seriously and will uphold the relevant laws.

Moderators: Forge, Georgeanna

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Prompt Club - Round 2

Post by Sammy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Welcome to Prompt Club
The first rule of Prompt Club is... we don't let writer's block kill our mojo.

After the slow but steady success of Prompt Club and thanks to a suggestion from one of our recent PC champions, I have decided to kick off round two. This will function in the same way as round one just with a new set of gradually revealed prompts and a new leaderboard. The plan for the moment is to create a new round each time we hit Prompt 20 in order to keep the sets fairly manageable. This round isn't by any means replacing round one, I plan for each set to run alongside earlier ones.

What is 'Prompt Club'?
Every few days I will be providing you (and myself) with a prompt in the form of a word, phrase or image. For as long as this runs, you'll be able to select any prompt that's been posted and write roughly 200-500 words inspired by the prompt making sure that it's labelled so we know which one you've chosen. It doesn't matter if it winds up being wholly unrelated to the prompt provided or if the link is so tenuous that it's almost impossible to spot - the idea is just to get words out and hopefully go someway to clear out your creative blockage. If you wind up on a roll and knock out more than 500 words? No problem, still counts!

Competitive element?
Strictly for fun! I'll be keeping a tally of how many prompts people have completed just to add some friendly competition to the mix. As explained above, this is not an official event/contest.

Are there any deadlines?
Not a single one! I'll be keeping a list of the prompts to date in the opening post and you'll be able to select any prompt from that list at any time. Just make sure that it's clear which one you've gone for!

Are there any rules at all?
  • All posts must be in compliance with the general forum rules.

The Leaderboard

1. Lumeus - 1
1. Georgeanna - 1
1. Rembrandt

The Prompts

Prompt 8: Theme: Playing the Game
Completed by:

Prompt 7: Image: Through the Keyhole
Completed by:

Prompt 6: One Word: Blizzard
Completed by: Rembrandt

Prompt 5: Idiom: Blessing in Disguise
Completed by:

Prompt 4: Quote: “Prologue: In which we are reintroduced to a pair of individuals with unconventional interpretations of the term “dead”’ - The Brothers Cabal, Jonathan L. Howard
Completed by:

Prompt 3: Image: Abandoned House
Completed by:

Prompt 2: Opening Line: 'Growing up with cats and dogs, I got used to the sounds of scratching at my door while I slept. Now that I live alone, it's much more unsettling'
Completed by:

Prompt 1: One Word: Lost
Completed by: Lumeus, Georgeanna
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Prompt Club - Round 2

Post by Sammy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:00 pm

To get the ball rolling...

Prompt 1

One Word: Lost

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:52 am

Prompt 2

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Post by Lumeus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:50 am

Prompt 1: Lost
For Friday the 13th

If you’d asked a few days ago, if anyone had bothered asking me, I would have told you with absolute certainty that there is nothing worse than existing day to day in this endless well of suffocating despair called life.

Actually, that’s not true. I would have lied behind a perfectly practiced smile, and fed you the answer you wanted so that I didn’t have to see the look of annoyance on your face for making you feel guilty about not really caring about how I felt.

You have your own problems after all. I get it. You didn’t need all my emotional baggage on top of it. And my problems weren’t even that bad, right? I didn’t have any reason to feel that way. My parents loved me, my little brother was annoying, but he loved me, and my friends loved me. I had a home, more clothes than I needed, a car, school, a boyfriend, and I woke up every day wishing I hadn’t. Believe me, I know better than anyone how selfish that is. To have more than most and not appreciate any of it? That isn’t a list of reasons to live, it’s a list of reasons why I didn’t deserve life.

So I don’t blame you for avoiding and ignoring me. I encouraged it, really. I just wish someone would have told me the truth, warned me, because had I known what awaited I wouldn’t have taken those pills. Despite the pain, and loneliness, and being so lost in a world circumscribed by fear and anxiety, it was nothing compared to what feasts on me now.

So if this somehow reaches you across the veil that I only now understand is so thin and precious, take this warning and run. Live for as long as you possibly can. Whatever you are going though, survive it. Take all your misery and sorrow and despair and you hold on to it for dear life, because there are horrors here beyond imagining that tear you apart in ways you can’t comprehend, and when there is nothing left you realize there was nothing to begin with, and it all starts over.

If you’d asked a few days ago, if anyone had bothered asking me, I would have told you with absolute certainty that there is nothing worse than existing day to day in this endless well of suffocating despair called life. And I would have been wrong.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:11 pm

Keeping with the creepy theme...

Prompt 3

One Image: Abandoned House

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 am

As we draw ever closer to Halloween...

Prompt 4

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:38 am

Just a little bump for my Prompt Club Pals!

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:29 pm

A bit late, but I came to the party ready to play. :bounce:

Prompt 1: Lost
They had told her that she would be back soon. But who were they again? What did that even mean? Back. Back from what?

Tessa shook the thought from her head and looked around her. It seemed no matter how much she took in her surroundings, they always seemed to change. A tree would be there one moment, to be replaced by a tulip in the next. Things were always shifty, slightly blurry at the edges. Her hands shook as she tried to grab a low hanging apple from the tree to her right, but as her hand closed around the slick peel, it rotted all in one moment—fresh fruit one second, and black sludge in the next.

Her body recoiled violently, tripping backward over a log that had been a stick only a moment before. Tessa fell, expecting the floor to slam into her back, but instead found that she kept falling. Screams were stolen like precious gems from her lungs as she continued to fall. When would it stop? When would things start to make sense?

Warm palms caught her with the ease of a titan. Opening eyes that she hadn’t realized had closed, Tessa saw the warm eyes of her father. Screaming, she pushed him away, falling onto the soft moss at his feet.

“My dear, I’m so sorry. You know how daddy gets when he’s mad.”

Tears wriggled their way free as she ran, only to collide with his chest moments later. Firm hands grabbed her upper arms, wrenching Tessa to the side.

“Don’t sass me, young lady.”

Pushing him, she found only a skeleton in his clothes. Tessa ran into a forest that had been a meadow just moments before. Her feet slapped the ground with the carelessness of a young girl. Giggles erupted from her throat as she ran, confusing her still terrified heart. Where had her control gone? She found that her body no longer responded to her. It ran with all the wildness she had bottled for so long. Snot streaming, hair whipping, and muscles screaming, Tessa bolted through the forest.

She found she no longer wanted to run, but her body would not heed her warnings. Tessa collapsed on the ground, legs and arms still pumping and moving as if she were upright. And suddenly she was running again. How did this happen? It was all so confusing.

Tessa opened eyes that she hadn’t realized were closed and found a plastic band around her wrist, and tubes in her arm. She looked around, and things stayed the same. It was a small room, just her bed and the softly beeping machines near her. Only one door led in, and as her parents walked in, Tessa realized she was just as lost here as she was before.

“Welcome back!”

Nicodemus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Nicodemus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 am

Sweet! Georgie's here. Glad you joined Prompt Club and, as usual, I enjoyed your writing.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 am

Nicodemus wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 am
Thanks Nicodemus! :xeyes:

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:49 pm

OP updated and a much overdue new prompt!

Prompt 5

Idiom: Blessing in Disguise

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:48 am

In honor of this crazy British/European weather (the 'Beast from the East')
Prompt 6

One Word: Blizzard

Rembrandt
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Rembrandt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:39 am

prompt 6:
It cold. Oh so blindly, bone-chilling, horrificly cold. Kate tried to take a step forward. Just one more step, one fight for life. Her body, however, protested. Her legs gave out and at last she gave up.

How did she get here? Where was here? She looked up at the grey sky through the scarf that masked her face. Oh how cold it was.

Kate started thinking of different words for cold; it was getting old in her head. Gelid. That made her giggle, a little too hard. Hypothermia was setting in. A warmth ran through her body, as if she was being dunked in a hot bath. Suddenly, she was sweating and she had to fight the urge to rip all her clothes off. This is not happening ohgodohgodohgod. Would she die here? Kate didn't want to die, in the blizzard. Not when she was so close. So she forced her tired, aching body to turn over and start digging. She dug and dug and dug until she found herself in a 2ft hole in the snow. Remembering her training, she scooped a shelf into the side of the hole, and packed the snow tighter.

God, she was exhausted. She felt numb all over, ice clinging to her face. Kate was bound to have frostbite in the morning. If she survived this.

Tucking herself into the shelf, Kate finally relaxed. Her life was to the gods now, she had no idea if she's live. Her eyes finally closed and she breathed out.

When Kate awoke. It was white. Disappointment spread through her. She died, after all that? To her surprise, it was frigid. Heaven wasn't supposed to feel like anything, at least in her mind. Then it her, she lived! She was tempted to shout and yell, but she quickly realized she didn't have the energy. Kate pulled herself out of her hole and looked around. White. White everywhere, even the sky was white. Rolling out of the ditch, she stood. She pulled out her compass, and after doing some calculations, Kate started walking again

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:08 am

OP updated.

Welcome to Prompt Club, Rem!

Rembrandt
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Rembrandt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:03 am

Im excited to be here!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:05 am

Prompt 7

One Image:

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:02 pm

Prompt 8

Theme: Playing the Game

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Just a quick attempt to get me back in a writing headspace.

Prompt 8: Playing the Game
To call the gathering a bore was, perhaps, doing a disservice to the many bores Leenah had endured during her score (or so) of years. The music was dreary, the entertainment simply the handful of acts currently in favour with court and who would, history suggested, be wheeled out over and over until even the dreariest of her companions were just about ready to gouge out their eyes and ears. Mindful of her familial obligations and the homicidal thoughts she was beginning to harbour for one particular performer whose vibrato was setting her teeth on edge, she pushed herself up from the ottoman she had been languishing upon and set about taking a tour of the party. At worst, her father would be well pleased with her and, at best, there was always the possibility of finding a pleasant distraction with whom to while away an hour or two. Diplomacy, as her mother had schooled her some decade or so earlier, was about far more than simply shaking the right hands and could be significantly more engaging, given the right circumstances.

After circling twice, smiling and exchanging artfully crafted pleasantries with all the right people and civil, snubbing nods with those currently out of favour, Leenah found herself taking a spell of refuge at the buffet table. No one really ate at these things, it was currently considered unbecoming (or, as Leenah suspected, a leftover symptom of more hostile times when rival families had not been above poisoning one another), rather it was a chance for hosts to demonstrate their power, influence and grasp on what was currently popular. A farce, like everything else.

“And here I thought you had sworn off attending another of Carinah’s little carousals,” the familiar voice, while a touch teasing, left no doubt that its owner was pleased to have happened across her.

“You know me, ever the dutiful daughter,” Leenah replied, pointedly continuing to survey the spread of delicacies currently considered to be fashionable and, like the rest of the evening, finding it wanting. “Besides, where else was I likely to have you sneak up on me, Iri? You never drop by anymore, you don’t write and how long has it been since you’ve dropped off one of your delightful little packages, hm?” There was a smirk in her voice and yet an uncomfortable silence followed her words.

“You know that our parents found the amount of time we were spending alone together to be...indelicate, Leenah,” the use of her name, even whispered as it was, was a reprimand.

“Oh I don’t know about all that, Iri, I think it was the amount of dhasi you were plying me with that my mother found particularly troubling,” She turned, abruptly and enjoyed watching Iri scramble to put a little more space between them. It had been some months since their occupation with one another had begun to unsettle the other families, apparent and blatantly flaunted favouritism ran the risk of unsettling the fragile balance of life in the sky and at least six weeks since the pair had last crossed paths. More than long enough for the whispers of court to have been distracted by two dozen more interesting scandals.

At the sight of the self-satisfied smirk on Leenah’s face, Iri laughed even as she shook her head, drawing closer as she reached for a floral scented fruit of some description, close enough that Leenah could catch the scent of the other woman’s perfume, different from the one she remembered and yet still infused with something that was just undeniably Iri. Their eyes met, close enough that she could pick out the strange flecks of amber in the younger woman’s eyes as she licked the juice of the fruit clean from her lips. It was an uncharacteristically bold move on Iri’s part and, despite the fact that this was obviously some political maneuver on the part of one of both sets of their parents, Leenah felt some part of her stir. Someone had clearly been giving Iri some extra lessons.

“Do you have -”
“Dhasi?” Iri laughed, tracing a finger lightly down Leenah’s left arm. “Do you really think I’d have approached you without any? Not too much tonight though, okay? We both need to be in a respectable state for tomorrow.”

Leenah wasn’t sure which of their fathers’ voices it was she heard coming from Iri’s lips but also found that she really didn’t care.
“Not too much,” she murmured affably, knowing full well that while their parents may control this playing field, that after a few minutes alone together and a few hits of dhasi that the only person with any sway over Iri (and, more importantly, the supply that made her oh so desirable) would be her. With a smile, she brushed a lock of hair back from Iri’s face, mindless of who might be watching (that was the point after all, was it not), tracing the line of her jaw, neck, shoulder blade until eventually their fingers interlinked.
“Best to give them something to whisper about,” she murmured, enjoying the scandalised look that crossed Iri’s features that she would dare speak so openly about the games in which they were little more than pawns and, with that, the two women left hand in hand, whispers following them all the way and lingering long after they had passed.