Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Quest: Showing Epic Movies to a Tepid Woman

Where members can gather to discuss TV and film, past and present!
Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Quest: Showing Epic Movies to a Tepid Woman

Post by Georgeanna » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:39 pm

I have embarked on a quest to open my mind by watching movies that are worth the hype.
I have not been forced, paid, or otherwise incentivized to complete this task.

Please feel free to give me any and all suggestions--I might just put them up here with the copious amount of other movies! Also feel free to comment, debate me, or cheer me on in the comments below (if you're into that kind of thing).

:pinkbullet:=Pending
:greenbullet: = Watched
:orangebullet: = Versus Pending
:purplebullet: = Versus Watched

:greenbullet: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
:greenbullet: Hot Fuzz
:greenbullet: What Dreams May Come
:greenbullet: Godfather
{ :purplebullet: Four Weddings and a Funeral
{ :purplebullet: Love, Actually
:greenbullet: Shaun Of The Dead
:greenbullet: The World's End
:greenbullet: The Prestige
:greenbullet: Godfather 2
:greenbullet: Godfather 3
:greenbullet: Goodfellas
:greenbullet: Blade Runner
:greenbullet: John Carpenter’s The Thing
:greenbullet: The Iron Giant
:greenbullet: Good Will Hunting
:greenbullet: Raiders of the Lost Ark
:greenbullet: Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

Up Next:
:pinkbullet:The Matrix
:pinkbullet:Inception
:pinkbullet:Casa Blanca
:pinkbullet: Dumb and Dumber
:pinkbullet:Shawshank Redemption
:pinkbullet:Pulp Fiction
:pinkbullet: Dredd
:pinkbullet:Die Hard
:pinkbullet:Fight Club
:pinkbullet:2001
:pinkbullet:Apocalypse Now
:pinkbullet:Heat
:pinkbullet:The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
:pinkbullet:The Big Lebowski
:pinkbullet: Man on the Moon
:pinkbullet:Seven
:pinkbullet:The Usual Suspects
:pinkbullet: Stand by Me
:pinkbullet: Raging Bull
:pinkbullet: Attack the Block
:pinkbullet: Amélie
:pinkbullet: Lost In Translation
:pinkbullet: No Country For Old Men
:pinkbullet: Predator
:pinkbullet: Léon
:pinkbullet: Rocky
:pinkbullet: True Romance
:pinkbullet: The Social Network
:pinkbullet:Spirited Away
:pinkbullet:Oldboy *Korean Version
:pinkbullet: A Clockwork Orange
:pinkbullet: Mulholland Dr.
:pinkbullet: Seven Samurai
:pinkbullet: Rear Window
:pinkbullet: Memento
:pinkbullet: L.A. Confidential
:pinkbullet: Donnie Darko
:pinkbullet: American Beauty
:pinkbullet: Inglourious Basterds
:pinkbullet: Whiplash
:pinkbullet: Reservoir Dogs
:pinkbullet: Vertigo
:pinkbullet: Psycho
:pinkbullet: Once Upon A Time In The West
:pinkbullet: Lawrence Of Arabia
:pinkbullet: Trainspotting
:pinkbullet: Citizen Kane
:pinkbullet: Drive
:pinkbullet: Gladiator
:pinkbullet: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest
:pinkbullet: There Will Be Blood
:pinkbullet: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
:pinkbullet: 12 Angry Men
:pinkbullet: Saving Private Ryan
:pinkbullet: Mad Max
:pinkbullet: Mad Max: Road Warrior
:pinkbullet: Mad Max: Fury Road
:pinkbullet: Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome
:pinkbullet: The Departed
:pinkbullet: Snatch
Last edited by Georgeanna on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 am, edited 28 times in total.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

Guardians Galaxy Vol. 2 (1/18/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Spoilers ahead!

So, what to say about this movie? I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I did. The first movie was an absolute bore with a plot that crawled along. However, this movie was superior in every way. The character development was absolutely intricate, with characters finding real consequences from their actions and actually learning from them. Furthermore, interpersonal relationships were explored, Drax and Mantis being my favorite pairing of characters. Of course, Gamora and Peter were going to end up together, but I really enjoyed how the movie didn't focus on the romance and let the couple grow together in a slower and more natural way. Nebula and Gamora's relationship was fantastic; their back and forth really kept me on edge and propelled the plot along fantastically.

Alternatively, the whole "Peter's dad is the villain" was completely predictable. I even said out loud during a break, "Well, now to see Ego consume people or something." The fact that that is EXACTLY what had happened and what would've happened again (if not for an adorable little bomber) is actually really disappointing. He was just so obviously evil.

The effects were awesome, the opening credits especially.

Overall I would give it a 3.5/5. Solid movie for sure.
Last edited by Georgeanna on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Pirate

Re: Quest: Showing Epic Movies to a Tepid Woman

Post by Rick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Watch Hot Fuzz next.

Shea
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Post by Shea » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Rick wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:56 pm
Watch Hot Fuzz next.
I was going to say exactly this! My favourite movie for sure.

Also, was going to suggest Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and What We Do in the Shadows, both hilarious.

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Post by Lumeus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:44 am

A few recommendations:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Death at a Funeral (the original British version)
The Patriot
Rudy

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hot Fuzz (1/19/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 am

Ahhhhhhh *gun shots in air*
Consider yourself warned for spoilers.

Okay, where do I even start--because that was a damn doozy. I love ridiculous action movies and this ticked all the boxes. Let's just start with all of the top-list actor cameos, because when I saw Martin Freeman I squealed like a little girl. The man can act even if it is only for a few glorious moments. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were absolutely spectacular together, forming the ultimate duo. To be fair, this movie was probably the inspiration for another duo who are, unfortunately, more famous *looks at Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill*.

Can we also just talk about the grannies and their guns. Dear lord, I laughed so hard when they all pulled out their little guns towards the end. I nearly lost it. Also, I love how all their names were just so...fitting? Skinner, Shooter, Hatcher, Draper, Merchant, etc. It was all just so artistically done. The whole cast was so perfect.

Also, the plot. Damn. I have to say, I saw it being this big conspiracy about the road in the expensive property, but I didn't see it being as petty as a village competition. That really got me. I've never been so surprised to see a group of hooded figures chanting in a garden somewhere.

Overall a big winner for me. I laughed out loud several times. 4/5 stars fam.

Since this came with such high recommendations, I thought I'd tag y'all:
Rick wrote:
Shea wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:31 pm
Last edited by Georgeanna on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rick
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Rick » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:55 am

Nice! Glad you loved it. Hot Fuzz is honestly one of my favorite comedies, if you liked it you should check out Shaun of the Dead and at the world’s end (both films have Simon and Nick in them and were directed by the same guy). At the world’s end actually has Martin Freeman in it in a meatier role. Save those for later though, since you still got a bunch of great movies to see.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

What Dreams May Come (1/19/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 pm

That which you believe becomes your world...

This movie just ripped my heart out. I don't think I've ever cried so much in my damn life.

The relationships were what made this movie what it is. Every time he recognized his child, or even when he saved Annie, it was the flashbacks that got me. The way that Chris treats his family is with such love and tenderness. He learns, even when he is in the afterlife. Marie and Ian's reunion with their father made me cry, but the when Chris gives up heaven for his wife, it made me sob. To think someone would give up so much, just to be with someone tore me up.

Do I even have to mention all the mythology and metaphor and meaning that is woven into this movie? I'm not even going to start because I'm pretty sure I'll go on and on and on forever.

Robin Williams did a fantastic job as always, just seeing him on camera made me tear up thinking about what a tragedy it is that he has left us all. I can only hope he's found heaven like it is in this movie.

I'm not crying, you're crying. *sniffles* 5/5 stars.

Shea
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Re: Hot Fuzz (1/19/2018)

Post by Shea » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Georgeanna wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 am

Ahhhhhhh *gun shots in air*

Okay, where do I even start--because that was a damn doozy. I love ridiculous action movies and this ticked all the boxes. Let's just start with all of the top-list actor cameos, because when I saw Martin Freeman I squealed like a little girl. The man can act even if it is only for a few glorious moments. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were absolutely spectacular together, forming the ultimate duo. To be fair, this movie was probably the inspiration for another duo who are, unfortunately, more famous *looks at Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill*.

Can we also just talk about the grannies and their guns. Dear lord, I laughed so hard when they all pulled out their little guns towards the end. I nearly lost it. Also, I love how all their names were just so...fitting? Skinner, Shooter, Hatcher, Draper, Merchant, etc. It was all just so artistically done. The whole cast was so perfect.

Also, the plot. Damn. I have to say, I saw it being this big conspiracy about the road in the expensive property, but I didn't see it being as petty as a village competition. That really got me. I've never been so surprised to see a group of hooded figures chanting in a garden somewhere.

Overall a big winner for me. I laughed out loud several times. 4/5 stars fam.

Since this came with such high recommendations, I thought I'd tag y'all:
Rick wrote:
Shea wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:31 pm
Ahhhh! So excited you not only did it but enjoyed the hell out of it! I'm feelin very proud, haha. Like Rick said, when you have time you should check out the other movies (known as the Cornetto Trilogy, I'm pretty sure, cause obvious reasons you'll see).So Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, At Worlds End = Cornetto Trilogy, heartaching at times and damn funny.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

The Godfather (1/22/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 am

I'm gonna to make him an offer he can't refuse...

The Godfather is a special little bean, I'll give it that. To be honest, I felt that the beginning was a tad of a mess. I understand that the story needs to get going somewhere, and a wedding is a great way to do so, but it jumps to so many different characters that it's hard for someone just watching it for the first time to grasp who exactly all the key players are. I did enjoy the cat though--so the beginning has that going for it.

I say that this movie is special because I've rarely found a movie that makes me hate it so thoroughly and then completely changes my mind. I was disappointed with the beginning that I honestly considered turning it off and marking this as a DNF, but around a third of the way in or so my opinion rapidly changed. Really, I can pinpoint it to when Sollozzo came on the scene. This was when the brashness of Vito's children really begins to show, and I'm a sucker for family drama. For all his faults, Sonny was a great character and once his father was shot, that really began to show. His love for his family, if you ignore his various bedmates, is almost unrivaled (though there is a case to be made for Michael--I'm getting to him). And just saying, I never trusted that bastard, Carlo.

Where to begin with Michael? Well, at first I really disliked him, and I only grew to dislike him more. I hated how he treated Kay, and then how easily he jumped to Apollonia and then back again. All of this to say, I found his character very interesting by the end, despite hating him entirely. That takes some serious script mastery.

I only cried once, compared to the last movie I watched (hey, I'm still emotionally scarred from that okay?) and that was when Vito died. Vito was by FAR my favorite character. I fell in love with him when I saw the cat sitting there to be honest. He is such a loving father, and godfather :wink: , and does anything for those that he loves. He's a shady character in all the best ways. It literally elicited a choked sob when he collapsed in front of his grandson. How horrifying, and cruel of the writers for doing that to me and to the little boy. Geeze.

Plotwise, it jumped around a bunch in the beginning until Sollozzo came into the picture. Once he was revealed to be a "big" player, I was able to buy into the series of events. The different family mob dynamic was interesting, and I can certainly see where all the various pop culture references come from now.

Not bad. The end definitely saved this one for me. 3/5 stars

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hugh(ge) Smackdown #1 (1/24/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 am

This time on versus...

VS

I have to say, this was a tough one. But it's pretty clear that I enjoyed Four Weddings and a Funeral much more than I enjoyed Love Actually.

There really isn't any other reason besides the fact that Four Weddings managed to retain my interest far more than Love Actually did. I suppose that is the fault of Love Actually because, to be frank, I feel that there was simply too much going on. There were so many storylines, each done in such brief snippets, that I found myself not caring at all about what happened to the respective characters. This completely shocked me, because, in theory, I should have enjoyed Love Actually much more than I did. It had Martin Freeman, Keira Knightley, Hugh Grant, etc. It just goes to show that it doesn't really matter how many big name actors are in a movie--if the script isn't good, the actors don't stand a chance at making it better.

Before anyone attacks me, because I know there are some people here who will go down swinging for Love Actually...it's not that I didn't like certain parts of it. Just overall, Four Weddings had a more cohesive and compelling storyline despite having numerous time and setting jumps. I cared about the characters. Now, yes, did I feel for Emma Thompson (I don't remember her character name) when Alan Rickman went off with that chick? Yes, it really hit me hard. Maybe if they had had longer segments of each storyline, that cohesively built up to the ending, then this decision might have been different.

I loved Hugh Grant in both movies. I loved the cast as a whole in both movies. I just preferred the storytelling method of Four Weddings

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Post by Sammy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 pm

I'm just in shock that this is the first time you've seen Love Actually!
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Georgeanna » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm

Sammy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 pm
I'm just in shock that this is the first time you've seen Love Actually!
To be fair, I believe I had watched the first 20 minutes of it at a family gathering. However, I never had finished it. :xeyes: Dunno why.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

Shaun of the Dead (1/30/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 pm

It's on random!

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost do it again in this gory and sickening action-comedy. I absolutely loved the quick-witted puns and the placement of certain jokes. Whenever the darkness got to be too much, Simon or Nick would come in with a perfectly timed joke. Their acting was superb as always, fully convincing me both of their sadness, terror, joy, and sarcasm. Nothing seemed too forced for me, and the acting overall made for a good movie. I will say, I'm sad that I keep being shown Martin Freeman, and then not allowed to see him for more than a few seconds. I felt cheated in that regard.

Damn. To be an extra in this movie would have been absolutely epic, and they all did a good job. The staggering about and the groaning can be super overdone, especially in the horror/action genres, but I felt that the combination of the effects and the extras' acting made for a chill-inducing movie.

My biggest problem with this movie was the ending. It felt very contrived to be quite frank. The fact that the services came at just the right time and, somehow, Ed made it out of the cellar in one piece (albeit as a zombie, my bad for using the "zed word" :wink: ) was quite a lot to swallow. I would've rated this as 4 stars if the ending had been a little less convenient.

That being said: 3.5 stars. Not bad, and certainly entertaining.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

The World's End (2/6/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:57 am

And we're back! Just like the five musketeers.
Consider yourself warned for spoilers

This was by far my favorite of the Cornetto trilogy. It had the comedy of Hot Fuzz with the heart of Shaun of the Dead, plus so much more. I know this isn't everyone's favorite movie, but it certainly was mine. I was actually shocked at how much I enjoyed this.

First, the action in this movie was ON POINT. The fluidity of the shots and the humor that wove itself in was fantastic. The cinematography, in general, was absolutely amazing. While I enjoyed the jump-cuts in the other movies, I felt that this movie toned them down a lot and used them more effectively. Also, the use of lighting was great as well.

I can't even formulate how much I loved and cared for the characters in this one. I really grew attached to all of them. I really felt the interpersonal relationships was the shining star in this movie.

5/5 stars. Can't really say more.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

The Prestige (2/9/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts...
Consider yourself warned for spoilers

Well, I'm a little speechless (future me: "hahaha. okay, whatever you say, you liar" ), but I'll try to make this review somewhat coherent or as coherent as it can be considering I'm writing this nearly at midnight. This movie was a roller coaster of emotions and a marvel of storytelling. My good lord. I love me a good meta-drama, but this made for a confusing little package of three layers. The timing unwound itself thoughtfully, not telling us vital information until we had to know. With its three different timelines that all gracefully arced together, this movie made for an amazing evening.

The characters. Don't even get me started on the characters. What's that? No one asked? Great! I'll tell you all about it. The relationships within this movie took it up another notch for me. Not only did we have murky, dark, and muddy morals present in each character, but it was WELL DONE. You can usually tell when an author or writer creates a morally ambiguous character just because, and when they create a morally ambiguous character to prove a point. This movie was nothing BUT good points. It showed the slow corruption of a man who was wrapped in obsession. It portrayed the inherent twisted nature of those who take life in imbalance, preferring one thing to all other. Every. Damn. Character. Proved. A. Point. And I lived for it. Also, the relationships were just absolutely fan-freaking-tastic. They were messy and confusing and so real. Sarah deserved better. Yes. I said it. She was abused emotionally and it was horrible to watch. Even the Borden that loved her abused her by putting her second continuously and neglecting her in that way. She deserved better.

I adored the history woven into this, even if it was a bit romanticized and fantastical. Nikola Tesla was a god among men and deserves far more credit than he actually gets. Screw Edison. But I'm not starting a debate on that, so that's all I'll say.

What else? Hmmm. The costumes were great, as well as all the props. The camera work was perfect and impeccable and all the other synonyms that I am too tired to look up.

Okay. So I have a question that is burning in my tiny pea-brain: Cutter freaking nods at Borden when he goes in to eventually shoot Angier. Then later, he doesn't act surprised in the slightest to see him waltz in and pick up his daughter. DID CUTTER KNOW? DID HE SANCTION ANGIER'S DEATH?

This movie can't help but feel like a metaphor for something, or a giant string of metaphors. The idea of one man being two, and leading such similar but different lives really strikes me. The concept that one Borden was so in love with his family and the other so in lust with a woman just has some type of poetic resonance to it that I can't quite ignore. Also, the idea that one let his brother be killed has a very "Cain and Abel" ly type of feeling to it. On a different, but also metaphorical note, the idea of killing yourself over and over again for the purpose of ensnaring an enemy seems like it is supposed to convey some type of really deep message. What I surmise in my sleepy, and arguably too philosophical, state is that envy/obsession/etc will kill you bit by bit until it catches up to you. Or, conversely, by holding onto obsession you are slowly dying by your own hand. It was also creepy with all the images of the birds in the cages, waiting to die, and the Angiers in the tanks, dead. Also the tank in general. When his wife first died in one I figured it would be some sort of symbol, but oh my goodness.

The ending, oh lord the ending. Okay. Let me preface by saying that I called several twists in this movie. Firstly, I knew Angier wasn't dead. No way. I called it when he first died. I knew he'd be that weird "lord" guy as soon as the character was introduced. I just didn't know how it would happen. Once I saw the machine, even before the whole cat scene, I knew that he was going to be cloned. Secondly, I knew that Olivia was going to betray Angier. Again, I just didn't know how, though the journal thing wasn't particularly inspired. As soon as Angier discovered the journal though, I knew that the journal Borden was reading was going to be revealed to have a similar facade about it. HOWEVER, the whole Borden thing I didn't see coming. Like, holy shit. And the shooting Angier thing--damn. And the one Borden actually dying. I totally thought he'd escape somehow. So, even though I called a few, the biggest tricks still surprised me.

Another 5/5 stars. My lord, what a ride.

My, my, my. What a long-ass review. Maybe I should write all my reviews at midnight so they will be of this caliber. Or maybe I should spare the three of you(?) and myself the trouble and stick to writing them during the daytime when I'm far more prone to abbreviating...I will ponder this at a later time.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

The Godfather 2 (2/15/2018)

Post by Georgeanna » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:28 am

I know it was you. You broke my heart.

I will preface this whole dealy boop by saying that sequels generally aren't my thing. However, I was more than shocked when I watched this movie. I feel that this movie took all the parts I loved in the Godfather and then took it up three notches. All the problems I had with the first movie were nowhere to be found in this triumph of a movie.

Firstly, I loved the two different timelines. I feel this is beginning to be a trend with all my favorite movies, but I just find that the parallel storylines were crafted to a level that was pure artistry. I enjoyed De Niro's portrayal of his character, though the raspy/whispery voice still creeps me out a little. But I love that character the most out of any of them.

The disparity between winning/losing, good/bad, business/family, etc etc was amazing. I feel this is really where 2 eclipses 1. Where as in 1 we focused on Michael's ascension and the degradation of their family as a whole, we have more internal conflict in 2. Characters have more depth in this movie and, accordingly, I felt a greater connection to them as a whole.

The one thing that made me actually laugh out loud was the "intermission." I'm not sure why they decided to add that in, but it was great. I've never seen something like it before, but I hope I see it again. :xeyes:

4.5/5 stars. A great movie.

(I docked .5 stars for the length of the movie--definitely could've cut out some scenes and still retain the impact.)

nubite
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Post by nubite » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 am

I mean, I have no idea what you've seen outside of this list. So, Jurassic Park is my top choice. Then Looper. Then all three of Back to the Future.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Georgeanna » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 am

nubite wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 am
I mean, I have no idea what you've seen outside of this list. So, Jurassic Park is my top choice. Then Looper. Then all three of Back to the Future.
I've seen all the Jurassic movies luckily! Also, have seen all of the Back to the Future franchise. But Looper, I haven't seen.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rick
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Rick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 am

I'm glad you liked Godfather 2! Great fucking film.