Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Thor: Ragnarok (Spoilers)

Where members can gather to discuss TV and film, past and present!
Rick
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Pirate

Thor: Ragnarok (Spoilers)

Post by Rick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:37 am

Alright my sweet viewers of popcorn flicks, let's talk about the newest entry in the Marvel cinematic universe, Thor: Ragnarok!

Directed by the great Taika Waititi, of "What we do in the shadows" A film that was suggested to me my Kotorchix, something I will always be grateful for because that movie is great. If you like comedy I suggest you check it out.

Anyway, let's discuss!

I really enjoyed the film, the last two Thor films I found to be rather forgettable, so when Taika came in and decided to change the character of Thor into something far more fun and interesting, I was one hundred percent on board. I do have a few negative points with the film, mostly to do with Asgard. When they would cut away from Thor and his adventures back to Asgard, I found myself finding that story line a little boring. Idris Elba, much as I love the man, totally phoned in his performance. I can't blame him for it, it wasn't very meaty and I assume his part was shortened so as to make space for Skurge, a character I found rather interesting in the beginning (when showing off "his stuff") and at the end, when he actually does something. Cate was great, her charisma and beauty pretty much kept your eyes on her at all times, plus she was rocking the black hair.

Everything involving Thor and his Revengers was a blast to watch, the only time I have found Thor to be an interesting character. Hopefully Marvel keeps moving away from their usual, boring dooms day plots they like so much and start exploring just how weird they can get with their heroes.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Spoilers)

Post by Sammy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 pm

I loved it. I'm hoping that it's a sign that they're getting a feel for what kind of works and what really works. I find all of the MU films enjoyable in that 'easy to watch action flick' sort of way but because of the source material (?), they generally skirt being dark or gritty enough to have much more in the way of substance, for me anyway. I think taking a slightly more GotG approach with a focus on fun, comedy, ridiculousness and with the all important musical montages, is a great and far more entertaining approach all round.

Two great and engaging female performances in the form of Hela and Valkyrie. Thank you, Marvel Studios for finally starting to give us some women who have more to them than 'potential love interest for more interestingly scripted male character'! Blanchett was even more amazing than I'd hoped and just made such a perfect antagonist and I loved the glimpse into the darker truth of Asgard's past. A much more interesting Asgard than we've previously been exposed to.

Agree with Rick in terms of the Asgard sections in the mid-section of the movie. I feel like Skurge had a promising start and a great end but all that grey area in the middle where he just looked uncomfortable but lacked the balls (or had enough self-preservation instinct) to actually do much didn't really seem to do much apart from make his ending more believable. Think they could have either done a bit more with that or made the Idris/refugee scenes a little more prominent and engaging.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

wadjet
Scout
Scout
Class: Mage

Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Spoilers)

Post by wadjet » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Frog Thor