Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Logan

Where members can gather to discuss TV and film, past and present!
Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Logan

Post by Forge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 am

So, granted, I'm jumping the gun a little with this one, but I'm incredibly excited about it. Anyone else planning to go see it? Hopeful about it? Totally ambivalent? Thoughts, please.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Re: Logan

Post by Sammy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:36 am

The X-Men have always been my absolute favourite element of the Marvel Universe. I was absolutely obsessed with Wolverine and Rogue growing up (and was insanely disappointed with Rogue in the original trilogy, for that matter) so I'm always way more invested in the X-Men movies than any of the others.

That being said... I always try not to get my hopes up. Will definitely be going to see it.

Gutted that it's the last time we'll see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and even more gutted that it's the last time we'll see Patrick Stewart as Professor X, though.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:09 am

Sammy wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:36 am
The X-Men have always been my absolute favourite element of the Marvel Universe. I was absolutely obsessed with Wolverine and Rogue growing up (and was insanely disappointed with Rogue in the original trilogy, for that matter) so I'm always way more invested in the X-Men movies than any of the others.
Same, and same. Especially on the back of the old X-Men cartoons. Rogue's this massive personality, and in the films you had a character who was almost a polar opposite. Sad times.
Sammy wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:36 am
Gutted that it's the last time we'll see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and even more gutted that it's the last time we'll see Patrick Stewart as Professor X, though.
Double same, again. I know people had a few gripes about Wolverine: Origins, but to be honest, Jackman basically made the big screen Wolverine for me. Same goes for Patrick Stewart - much as I like McAvoy as the younger Xavier, Stewart just sort of fit the Professor X I know from growing up. It's a shame that they're both calling it a day, but on the plus side, the stuff they've drawn on for Logan is exactly the way I'd like to see those two go out.

Cross
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Cross » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:09 pm

I have never watched any of the other X-Men films. For whatever reason, I never found the concept that intriguing. But I'm totally on-board for Logan. I'm planning a watch of the first couple of films, despite mixed reviews, just so that I can count myself as caught up. I'm a total sucker for the stoic, anti-hero who has hung up his gun and gets dragged back into it. I'm planning on seeing it early, Thursday evening.
Vote here and here everyday!

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Post by Lumeus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:23 am

It's so good.

And as someone who lives 10 minutes away from Oklahoma City, I found the film particularly entertaining. Apparently we're getting a Harrah's by 2029.
It's not really a complaint, but that ending. I left the theater with the same feeling you get when you leave the stadium after your team looses. You're still proud of your team, but it sucks that you lost. Still love the movie, but I left feeling a bit defeated.[/spoiler[

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:05 am

Lumeus wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:23 am
It's so good.

And as someone who lives 10 minutes away from Oklahoma City, I found the film particularly entertaining. Apparently we're getting a Harrah's by 2029.
It's not really a complaint, but that ending. I left the theater with the same feeling you get when you leave the stadium after your team looses. You're still proud of your team, but it sucks that you lost. Still love the movie, but I left feeling a bit defeated.[/spoiler[
Still feeling that almost a week after watching it. Which, I think, is maybe the point. It's not the happy ending we all want for our heroes, but Logan very much isn't the kind of movie where happy endings belong. It's not proud or glorious, and it's not necessarily a hero's end - but I think that's fitting for a character who would have happily spent a lifetime cutting down trees for a living, rather than saving the world.

I dunno.

Rick
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Pirate

Post by Rick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:29 am

This has to be my favorite X-Men film, which is ironic since I always disliked how the other X-Men where sidelined to give the spotlight to Logan. Also, i'm seeing people, including you guys, talk about how the ending was hard for you guys, but going in I felt it was obvious he was going to die, with all the talk about this being his last and the film bringing up how his adamantium bones where poisoning him. I didn't expect Charles to go out in such a brutal fashion, thought he would go out in a more dignified fashion, but he did get his nice little speech in before he bit the dust. I also really liked how for Logan it wasn't about stopping the robots or getting the hot girl at the end, but appreciating what family truly felt like. That's what got me in the end.

Cross
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Cross » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:40 am

I went in expecting him to bite it, but I always get a little emotionally compromised when it comes to the last hurrah. This was far and away my favorite X-Men related film. I've never really liked Wolvie as a character because he normally is just a variety of "edgy" personality traits - he's angry, vicious, and has a tragic backstory. But that sort of stuff never gets illustrated well enough for me. But I thought Logan did a much better job - the plot was straightforward, so it never really stumbled in that regard. It was always go north. The film also gave me a lot of breathing room for the characters to talk, to develop beside one another. I found myself really endeared to Laura, because she fits a certain archetype of character like Logan. They are people capable of a great rage, of stoking some immense fire. On the one hand, it always struck me that I was just idolizing the great badass that they were being. But as I've become older, I've started to view those characters with great sympathy as well. This rage feels like a defense mechanism, the only way that certain characters and people feel that they can influence the world around them.

In addition to that, my dad walked out on us, so anything between a father and his child usually pulls my strings pretty hard. I was a little misty-eyed when Laura and Logan were fighting together - it felt more like they had something to fight for. Each of them put themselves on the line for the other. That's kind of what the fantasy of having a dad is for me.
Vote here and here everyday!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:58 pm

Cannot believe I haven't managed to get to see it yet.

Arghhhhhh.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Post by Lumeus » Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 am

Good news!

Logan is getting a re-release in theaters May 16. This time in black and white. Logan Noir.

Bad news!

It's only for one night and only in the Alamo Drafthouse theaters...

http://www.slashfilm.com/logan-black-an ... locations/