It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

Scheduled Maintenance
06 Nov, 11:30pm MST - 07 Nov, 11:30pm MST
You may experience minor interruptions, but the site will remain active!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Speak Easy [IC]

The realms with realistic settings lacking the influence of magic and having technology more in line with our own world based on the time period. The worlds themselves may still be fictional or exist on an alternate timeline. Examples: Fight Club, Lord of the Flies, Breaking Bad.

Moderator: Georgeanna

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Speak Easy [IC]

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:53 am

Violet
It was her last song of the night; she would finish her set, then Anthony Jones would follow up. Violet had saved her biggest crowd pleaser for last in an attempt to ensure she would be a hard act to follow--it wasn't a competition, sure, but she refused for this new guy to be more popular than her even if their target demographic was different.

She took a sip of water as the band started up again. It was a longer intro, so she allowed her eyes to scan the room, landing on the table usually reserved for her father and those closest to him. Joe Masseria wasn't there this evening, sitting there instead was Charles Luciano, the man believed to be her father's right-hand man. He lifted his glass in the direction of the stage, and Violet returned the gesture with a vapid smile. As she returned to the mic, her gaze traveled from the mobster to the others gathered in the room.

I must confess that I like you
But there is something amiss
Tell me did it ever strike you
that a maid likes a man to steal a kiss
Now please don't think me bold
and please oh please don't scold
Just simply

The music was quick and upbeat, and couples already started filling the dance floor.

Some girlies just love to motor,
Some crave a musical show
Some girls love to Fox Trot nightly
I know some who are always on the go
But here's what I like best
I'm different from the rest
Just simply

As she reached the end of the song, the audience had packed onto the dance floor, and those on the sidelines were swaying to the beat, too. She expected that she would, indeed, be a hard act to follow. As usual, the song, particularly the last verse, was sung with false innocence.
Hold me
Fold me right in your arms
It's your affection I crave
Tease me
Squeeze me tight in your arms
Until I promise to behave
Fill me
Thrill me with tales of love
And all its sweet mystic charms
Then enfold me
Please don't scold me
Just hold me in your arms
Credit goes to the songwriter, Arthur Hickman. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a recording of a lyrical version, just the lyrics and the music separate. However, here is the music on its own so that you can get an idea of the pace.
The applause picked up as she ended the last line, and she acted thrilled by the praise. "Thank you. Now, the band is going to switch out so you can get a taste of our newest musical recruit, Anthony Jones. Give them a few minutes for set up. Take a break, rest your feet, get some drinks, and enjoy your evening." The brunette gave a little wave before exiting the stage to change into an outfit more conservative than the one she wore on stage.

Minutes later, she was seating herself at the bar.

Leland
The pharmacist sat in the booth in the back corner, alone. He had an untouched drink in front of him. Leland hummed along to most of the songs, though his head remained against the chair of his booth, eyes closed.

Like his mentor before him, Leland had no heirs or immediate family. He had cousins, but none he knew very well. Now, entering his forties, the subject weighed on him. It showed in the new wrinkles on his forehead, and the shadows under his eyes.

He needed to find someone to pass his pharmacy on to when he died. It was a subject Joe was concerned about as well; he kept offering to buy the business from Leland. He just couldn't bring himself to do it. There was a legacy to protect here--his and Mr. Wheeler's--the pharmacy can't go to just anyone. The problem was, Leland had put this off for far too long. He had hoped to marry and father children. It just never happened, now Leland had ten or twenty years left which was enough time to train an apprentice, but not enough to raise a kid and prepare him for the job. He could try and find someone from his alma mater.

He was considering this option when Violet finished her set. As she said goodbye to the crowd, Leland opened his eyes to find that he was no longer sitting alone. Sitting across from him was a stranger.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Ruler_of_Wolves
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Werebeast

Re: Speak Easy [IC]

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:55 pm

James had just finished a round of cards when Violet began her last set. He threw back his cup of hard liquor and let the music guide him closer to the the stage. His body swayed with the music as he watched couples begin to fill the dance floor. A smile crept on his face, feeling the energy in the room pick up. “She sure knows how to entertain a crowd.” James said to anyone who was listening, focusing his attention on Violet. Beautiful and talented was a hard combination to find, though her father being a mob boss was a little intimidating. He let his gaze fall away from her and into the crowd. Pat was supposed to be here sometime tonight.

His eyes landed on a curious gentleman sitting alone, he seemed to deep in thought. James new a good portion of the regulars here, and had heard a lot about the rest. He couldn’t put a description to this man, was he a regular? James slide into the empty seat across from the gentleman just before Violet finished her set.

The stranger opened his eyes and became aware of his presence. He smiled that practiced smile and greeted the man. “Say, i’m here often to play cards and whatnot, and I don’t think i’ve seen you around before sir. My names James, James Howard.” James reached across the table to shake the man’s hand. He looked the man up and down trying to figure him out. What was his buisness here?
Last edited by Ruler_of_Wolves on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool at all. I mean, I had a mullet and wore parachute pants for a long, long time, and I'm doin' okay."

-Ellen DeGeneres

TheGreenerGrey
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Warrior

Post by TheGreenerGrey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:56 am

David clapped cheerfully from where he was seated at the bar as Violet finished her song, grinning as the buzz of alcohol ran through his mind and he fiund himself being able to relax among a crowd that the fancy white men upstate would run from at first glance. He wasn't a particularly angry or spiteful person, but the thought of it had him smirking into his glass as he drained the rest of it and signalled for the bartender to refill him. His wallet would be hurting tonight, but hey, if you couldn't celebrate every now and then what was the point? Plus... he had to admit he felt rather cozy in this little hideaway from the world and the police, and while it was 100% something the owners planned on he couldn’t help but happily settle in.

As the bartender refilled his drink David looked over to his side just in time to see Violet emerge and make her way over towards the bar in a different set of clothing than what she had been wearing only a small while ago. Glancing around, David gave a mental shrug and picked up his glass. Making his way over to the seat next to the singer, he flashes a smile as he settles in. “You're good at singin'.” He compliments her with a smile, taking a small sip of his drink. “Do ya do it all the time or do ya have, uh, another job?” He already found himself floundering a little but with making conversation, and hoped she wouldn't mind the company. He had long since admired her voice from afar every time he came, but he hadn't ever actually talked to her before.
The past doesn’t define who you are.
It just... gives you the starting point for who you’re going to be. -Carolina, RvB

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:25 am

Leland
Leland eyed the man up and down; he was the antithesis of the wiry pharmacist, but he seemed friendly enough. The stranger didn't appear to be one of Joe's thugs, so Leland smiled and offered his hand in return. "Nice to meet you, James Howard." He supposed he didn't spend enough time in here. For a brief second, he wondered if James was an officer, trying to figure out who owned the joint. He shook the thought off and introduced himself, "Leland Alfonso. I own the pharmacy in the front." Technically, he could claim partial ownership of the dark bar back here, but it was safer not to. "Enjoying your evening?"

Violet
The brunette turned her gaze onto the man seated beside her. Her eyes flicked over him, briefly, and Violet smiled. "Thank you," she preened a little under the praise, seemingly flattered. She propped her elbow on the bar top, dropping her chin into her hand as she flagged down the bartender with her free hand. "I do a bit of work for my father's business, so this is more of a side gig, I suppose. Gin Rickey." The last bit was addressed to the bartender, though she kept her eyes on her current companion. "It's not all that interesting. What is it you do?" She eyed him again; strong arms, dust on his shoes. "Something with your hands, I'd guess?"
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Cerulean
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Paladin

Post by Cerulean » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:23 am

The day was finally over for him, when the weights got to be too heavy. He rested a few hours and talked to his trainer on the phone. Said he had some sort of gig that he wanted to talk to him about, so of course Patrick leapt at the chance. He the man finally same in, he was wearing neutral colored, leisurewear. "Missed the usual entertainment, it seemed." He whispered to himself. It was no matter. Not like Pat made it a point to be anywhere on time that wasn't for work or a workout.

A familiar voice snatched his attention, and a smile formed on his face. Walking over, he put a hand on James's shoulder to surprize him. "Coach." The young man nodded and left him to do his business with...he didn't know who to be frank. Still, he gave the man a polite nod to acknowledge him and had his way to the bar. Everyone seemed nestled in conversation, and Pat didn't like being a bother. So he sat a few seat down from what looked like Violet and a man trying his best to get on her good side. Secretly, he rooted for him as it seemed many men would be after the affections of such a mysterious, beautiful woman. Even just for a night. Or two if they were lucky.

"Rum and sodapop, please."

Ruler_of_Wolves
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Werebeast

Post by Ruler_of_Wolves » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:54 am

Ah, the Pharmacist, a man he didn’t know much about. “I’m am indeed enjoying myself. There’s nothing like a stiff drink and good entertainment.” James replied with an easy smile on his face. “What about you? I’ve heard nothing but good things about the pharmacy, and tonight is a good night to be out, you must be having at least a decent…” He was trailed off as he felt a familiar hand on his shoulder.

A surprised James nodded a hello to Pat, just the man he had been looking for. Pat politely left him to his conversation, and he turned back to Leland. “That’s my future champion…what was I saying before…oh, how’s your evening going so far?” Part of his mind was thinking about business now, he was here to set up a fight, but it’s hard to get much work done in this pleasurable atmosphere. He would have to find high ranking member of the drinking establishment to discuss it with before the night was over.
"What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool at all. I mean, I had a mullet and wore parachute pants for a long, long time, and I'm doin' okay."

-Ellen DeGeneres