It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

A New Moderator Appears!
Join us in congratulating our newest recruit!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Survive

Roleplays consisting of only 2-3 members can be posted here.

Moderator: Forge

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Re: Survive

Post by BrookeDi » Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 am

Her walk was stilted and stiff as it had been the day after being spit out by the ocean. This time, though, it's because of the sunburns. Layla liked to imagine that she was trailing beautifully through the trees, but in reality, it was more like a mummy lumbering around singing at the top of her lungs. "Sixty bottles of coke on the wall, six--" "Layla!!" The redhead stopped in her tracks, gazing all around her.

It was silent, save for the few chirps of birds.

Had she actually heard the sound of another human voice? Or was she hallucinating? Is this what going mad sounded like? It had sounded a lot like Liz. Was she being haunted by Liz's ghost?

Or maybe it wasn't Liz at all, and she was just projecting a familiar sound onto an unfamiliar one? Yeah, one semester of Psychology and she felt like she could diagnose herself. Layla gripped her makeshift spear and glanced all around. "I have a..." she looked at the improvised weapon and shook her head. "... a gun. And a silent, but uh, muscular professional wrestler with me. So, if you're thinking of attacking... Uh. Don't." Yeah, that was convincing.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Sat May 19, 2018 9:13 am

And there she was, a little roughed up, but alive.

"I have a... a gun. And a silent, but uh, muscular professional wrestler with me. So, if you're thinking of attacking... Uh. Don't."

Liz couldn't help but let out a snort, causing her ribs to spasm in protest. They had healed and calmed down over the days that had passed, but they still were not back to normal. Sometimes, Liz was afraid that her body would never heal properly, but those were the days she spent inactive, consumed by her fear. In order to survive, she'd learned to push that fear away, and she did so now, ignoring the ache in her side and in her leg.

Waving her arms about, she hobbled closer to Layla. "No, it's really me! I can't believe you're alive! I thought you had died. I thought I was alone. I thought I was going to die--" a sob of hysteria cut her off. It was going to be okay. Layla was alive and the world didn't seem as lonely anymore. At the very least, she wouldn't be alone.

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by BrookeDi » Tue May 22, 2018 1:59 am

Had it just been the voice, Layla would have convinced herself she'd gone crazy but stepping into her view was a banged up version of her best friend. No ghost would look at abused; she was positive. The redhead sobbed, too, charging forward to envelop Liz in a gentle hug. "Me, too." She said, and there wasn't much else she could say.

She'd felt alone, thought her best friend had been dead, or stranded elsewhere, and she most certainly thought she was going to die at some point. Standing there with Liz, she started to cry, full on ugly face with big old tears. "I'm so glad you're alive, even if it means being stuck here." Selfishly she was glad to be no longer alone. "What--" she choked back a sob, "What happened to you?"
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Georgeanna » Thu May 24, 2018 3:13 am

Suddenly, she was home. Her mind wandering to warm summer days when they were safe, lying on the grass, talking about lemonade stands. Liz knew at that moment, she would do anything to get them back home again. This was all her fault. She hadn't checked the gas tank like her father had instructed time and time again. Knowing her friend, Liz figured that Layla would deny that, saying it wasn't her fault, but she knew the truth. She'd just keep her guilt to herself for now.

Letting go of Layla, she stepped back, still holding on to her friend's shoulder as a support--running had reignited the fire in her ankle and standing seemed unbearable. "I'm not sure. I woke up like this and haven't really gotten better since." Tears tracked paths down the dirt on her face. "I'm scared, Lay," she paused trying to collect herself. "Are you okay?"

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by BrookeDi » Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 am

She hadn't gotten there in time with the life jacket. If she'd only been faster, moved a little quicker, maybe Liz wouldn't be in so much pain. "Let's sit," she gestured to the riverbank, a good a place as any, and she helped her friend getting to a sitting position, quietly trying to catalog all of the other woman's injuries. "I'm okay. My hand is sprained or broken, I'm not sure, and I had a run in with a wildcat of some kind. I've never been this hungry in my life, but..." She shrugged. "I guess it could be worse," especially when she was looking at Liz with what seemed to be multiple injuries.

"My throat finally stopped burning from all the salt water I must have swallowed, and I may have hit my head at some point, but I've had water..." She waggled her spear, "Now I just need to learn to spear some fish, with my left hand nonetheless, and I'd have food, and this could turn into a terrible vacation."

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Georgeanna » Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 am

Despite herself, Liz let out a small chuckle, which turned into a prolonged fit of laughter. It was all just so ridiculous. Who had ever heard of getting stranded on a desert island outside of books and movies? There was the occasional shipwreck, but it wasn't common enough to bring a specific instance to mind. Her ribs strained against the assault of giggling and she found herself gasping for air in between cringing.

She rubbed her face with one hand as she quieted down, her breath coming in short, painful wheezing. "Right, well I'm not having any extra luck getting food, but maybe we can figure something out. There's quite the grove of kiwi fruit over that way," she said pointing to where she had come from, "and we can probably ration it for a bit. Plus, if we can find a way to get the damned coconuts down that are over that way," she continued pointing slightly more to the left, "we'll have that to eat and drink too."