Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

London Gothic [BG & Shea] (IC)

Roleplays consisting of only 2-3 members can be posted here.

Moderator: Forge

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Warrior

London Gothic [BG & Shea] (IC)

Post by TheBigun » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:40 pm

"I think it's finally warm enough we should take Mihai down the east trail to the lake today." a soothing female voice called out, distant but familiar.

"I think he'd like that, besides we could do with topping off our reservoir since winter." a male voice responded.

"He's so much bigger now, I'm sure he'll love wading in the shallows with you." the voice called back.

"Perhaps I can teach him to swim before he can wa..." the male voice began, but stopped at the sound of footsteps outside. The two fell silent, unmoving, listening intently for further sound, but found only silence. Several moments pass, though it feels like an eternity as the two sit silently. A child's cry breaks the silence as both individuals immediately shift their gaze to the rear of the small cottage they're in and a loud knock immediately cracks against the front door.

Taking a single deep breath as he awoke from his sleep, Greymane sat up to more a recently familiar location, his apartment, or hovel as it more appeared, in Old Nichol. Working for the Organization afforded Greymane more than a few chances to move into more middle class housing, but he found no advantage to doing so, especially not considering how infrequently he actually returned to his own home. He stood up, his bed brace creaking beneath him with each movement, and walked to the window. Pulling the shade to one side, he peered out onto the streets, a rush of thick air pushing past him into the already unpleasant interior. Though he room was far from spotless, he kept it clean well enough to allow sleeping and eating when necessary, but even still, the building's walls oozed a smell that even those living in the district could only describe as poverty.

The streets were clear outside, the early hours having already called whatever workers would be awake to their jobs in factories and on the semi-new and ever expanding railways. In the next few hours, the streets would begin filling to the brim with the local populace, some to beg, others to clean, but most to prepare for that day's, or the following night's, criminal activities. Thankfully, unless otherwise ordered, those were not Greymane's problems to deal with. For now, he was to report to headquarters for what would, undoubtedly, be another, if not his final, lecture on the governance of the Organization. His previous mission of clearing out a rogue coven was a resounding success, but one that he'd ultimately taken on without oversight or the support of his, now previous, partner and the other two groups meant to assist them.

~~~~~~~~~~

Greymane unclicked the gate latch of an abandoned lot, taking a few steps inside before walking through an unseen barrier. The lot, empty a moment before, shimmered in his view as the clean exterior of headquarters came into it's own. Several individuals walked the perimeter, taking note of Greymane's presence, but, quickly recognizing him, went on with their patrols. Heading up the surprisingly (or magically if you prefer) well kept and intact stone walkway, Greymane gripped the metal handle of the large wooden doors and pulled one aside as he made his way into the building. Stepping into the main foyer, he took the first staircase on his left heading up to the third floor, directly towards the director's office. He clicked the door open and peeked inside to see Roselyn Venire, director of the London branch of the Organization, her eyes buried in one of the numerous books which adorned the walls of her office. Without looking up, she waved Greymane inside towards one of the seats in front of her desk, but continued staring at her book for another few moments before closing it, clicking the metal lock in place, and placing it back on her shelf.

"Alexander, glad to see you aren't hurt, especially after the night you had." Roselyn said in a somewhat snarky, very obviously sarcastic tone. Greymane took a breath and exhaled before answering.

"Director, I realize that there aren't any policies about using names inside headquarters, but I'd still prefer..." Greymane began, but was interrupted.

"Relax, Grey, just making sure you're awake for this one." she piped rather quickly. Greymane nodded and met her eyes she stared through him. "Last night was... another mission in a long string of missions dating back to before you even joined this branch where you've taken it upon yourself to act brazenly and outside the code that this organization follows." This was the reprimand Greymane had been expected since the night before. "Look, no one, even me, can argue with your track record. You've got one of, if not the highest mission success rating of any of your peers, so I've been exceptionally lenient with how I've handled you." Roselyn sighed, this was clearly not something she relished in doing, especially given how long she'd known the individual sitting across from her. "But, it would seem we've come to a head and the higher ups are getting worried about what you might represent should your actions continue as they are. We're an organization bent on secrecy and while you've maintained that goal well enough so far, the way you do things is liable to tear down the walls around us if you mess up in the wrong way." Roselyn broke her gaze, flitting through several files beneath her desk before pulling a file and setting it on her desk.

"I would be happy to operate with a partner if you could find one who can keep up. The last few have been..." Greymane was interrupted again.

"Ale... Grey, don't you get it? No one will work with you anymore. You've been through seven partners in the last month. You clash with wolves, mages can hardly keep up, vamps are about the only one's who don't seem to hate you outright but even they always end up submitting a report cites personal differences with your actions." she said, looking up at Greymane once again, and pushing over several papers with paragraphs of words, Greymane's name littered throughout. "I've been authorized to give you one last chance to stay within the boundaries of the Organization's rules, but it's a probationary experience. That means, any complaints, any more write-ups or partnerships transfer requests and I'm going to put you back on leave. Thankfully, we've got a new transfer in this week and she seems about as hard-headedly efficient as yourself, so maybe you'll get along." With a quick wave of Roselyn's hand, her door swung open. "Greymane, meet Eris Hadleigh."
Last edited by TheBigun on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Sig and Avi by yours truly~

Shea
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Re: London Gothic [BG & Shea] (IC)

Post by Shea » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 pm

The door creaked open enough for the new figure to step in and stand comfortably within the entrance of the office, her lithe figure barely making contact with either frame of the doorway. She inclined her head to nod at Roselyn and moved towards Alexander, her eyes sweeping up to meet his, and within a few short steps was face to face and toe to toe with her new partner.

She was dressed in dark clothing; a tight black corset framing a plum blouse, with a high collar reaching to cover her upper chest and throat. Her pale arms were hidden by the same dress shirt, a modestly bustled black skirt cinched from her waist to brush her booted toes. Her raven hair set a stark contrast to her unnaturally ashen skin, and the brown of her eyes seemed to shift ever so slightly to amber whenever they caught the light at a certain angle.

Eris did not smile nor joke but immediately offered a hand, before being interrupted by a thought, her delicate fingers clenched lightly to her palm as she paused halfway through the action as the slightest spark of realization passed her features, a brow half raised.

I know you,” she said thoughtfully, and offered her hand the rest of the way.

She watched him with a curious glint in her dark eyes as her hand moved to touch his, faded memories surfacing briefly, though it took a moment of studying him to bring them more prominently to the surface. He had changed, as had she, and become noticeably more rugged, perhaps a little more unhinged, and there was a slight aggression she could sense which had been hurriedly concealed before her arrival. A tense topic had been discussed, no doubt, in fact it was part of the reason she was here.

Eris held herself with a quiet confidence; straightened posture, set shoulders, hands clasped at her lap or apart by her sides any time she wasn’t moving. She spoke at just the right volume, with little to no emotion on her features at any time, and always looked her target in the eyes; a habit which many found confronting.

Roselyn beamed a smile and clasped her hands at her front.

Fantastic. Just looking at the two of you, I think you’ll get along well.”
Last edited by Shea on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:40 am

Greymane sighed lightly to himself. In the short moments before his apparent new partner walked in, a number of thoughts crossed his mind. He contemplated what leaving the Organization meant for him, what would he do without the driving purpose afforded by his work. He never conformed to pack mentality, nor was he much of a leader for other wolves, and he'd already sworn off progeny of his own. There was always mercenary work, but the underworld was already kept on a tight lease in that regard by the Organization itself, and Greymane, flustered or not, couldn't see himself turning on his previous employer. Really then, that left him with only one option... restraint. That and doing his best not to put his new partner in a situation where they were so inclined to...
She was dressed in dark clothing; a tight black corset framing a plum blouse, with a high collar reaching to cover her upper chest and throat. Her pale arms were hidden by the same dress shirt, a modestly bustled black skirt cinched from her waist to brush her booted toes. Her raven hair set a stark contrast to her unnaturally ashen skin, and the brown of her eyes seemed to shift ever so slightly to amber whenever they caught the light at a certain angle.

I know you,” she said thoughtfully, and offered her hand the rest of the way.
Through the fire and smoke of his memories of that damned forest, he'd recognized her the moment she walked in. He extended his own hand to meet her, memories best left buried flooding the corner of his mind.

"Most people around here do, for the wrong reasons." he responded, partially ignoring the implications of her comment. In Greymane's mind, it didn't matter how that registered to Eris. That life was something he preferred left behind, especially given the presence Roselyn, who he'd known long before that life. "But I've been told to correct that from here on, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about."

"Fantastic. Just looking at the two of you, I think you’ll get along well." Roselyn said, both straightforward and a little sarcastically. Swiping Greymane's file from the desk, she reached down and pulled up a new one. "While a part of me would like to send you both on a quick and easy one to get acclimated to one another, we don't have the luxury today." Roselyn flipped open the file and pushed it towards the two in front of her. Within there were numerous descriptions of mutilated bodies, both human and supernatural, as well as discarded cadavers which appeared to sewn together with pieces of both. The report also speculated at the possibility that the bodies were sown together pre-mortem like an amalgam of multiple creatures. Reading the reports, a certain sense of knowing dawned on Greymane. "I apologize that this report won't have the same rapport with you Eris, but..."

"So he's back."

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:39 pm

TheBigun wrote:"Fantastic. Just looking at the two of you, I think you’ll get along well." Roselyn said, both straightforward and a little sarcastically. Swiping Greymane's file from the desk, she reached down and pulled up a new one. "While a part of me would like to send you both on a quick and easy one to get acclimated to one another, we don't have the luxury today." Roselyn flipped open the file and pushed it towards the two in front of her. Within there were numerous descriptions of mutilated bodies, both human and supernatural, as well as discarded cadavers which appeared to sewn together with pieces of both. The report also speculated at the possibility that the bodies were sown together pre-mortem like an amalgam of multiple creatures. Reading the reports, a certain sense of knowing dawned on Greymane. "I apologize that this report won't have the same rapport with you Eris, but..."

"So he's back."
Whatever knowledge the two had regarding the culprit and his activities was lost on her, as evidently the case stretched back further than the evidence of any recent activities they had gathered. She had never seen a modus operendi of this particular sort - the chopping off of body parts only to sew them back together as some form of savage artistry or message - and if the suspect was thought to be from the mundane's world and not their own she would have been further astonished. Murders of this peculiarity always seemed to have a hand in dark rituals or others of the sort, not some sick human who had discovered a new medium with which to make clay sculptures.

She had seen mutiliations in her lifetime and especially during her work behind The Organization's shadow, of course, but they were always more straight forward; a lycan feed here or the demented workings of an occult obsessed warlock there. But whichever world the threat was from, this was.. peculiar.

"Who is he? Tell me about him."

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm

"While not the biggest scandal the organization, or this branch for that matter, has ever seen," Roselyn said, pulling a second folder from the desk and pushing it across next to the first, "it is one of the most recent to be an apparently lasting thorn in the side of the Organization." The second folder, which Roselyn flipped open to face the two agents, contained descriptions similar to the first, albeit written by different agents, on pages that were clearly somewhat older, and one of which had a penned name at the bottom with, surprisingly, exceptional penmanship: OA Greymane

"I'd been with this branch for about a decade and half when this same MO started popping up around the city." Greymane began, while leafing through the more recent file. "The disposal sites were always different, but he always took easy targets, people nobody would miss; criminals, prostitutes, homeless." Greymane pulled a folded map from the back of the older file which had X's marked in several places spread across city. "Most of the early victims were assumed to be taken from Old Nichol, because it was, and likely still is, the easiest place to find individuals for his experiments."

"It's also worth mentioning," Roselyn interrupted, "that while Grey says 'he', it hasn't ever been confirmed one way or another whether the person doing all this is male or female. Obviously the kills present as a male, especially given the gruesome nature and the manner of the kill, but we don't have concrete evidence one way or another."

"We tracked him for weeks, but we were always one step behind, always missing him by a couple of hours, or even minutes." Greymane said, reaching for the older file once more before pulling a wrapped, bloodstained piece of cloth from the folder. "Somewhere along the way he caught himself on a wire while leaving behind one of his bodies, giving us a way to track him. Which we did, to an abandoned clinic in a foreclosed district of the city. We were so desperate to believe he had slipped up, that we moved on his location immediately.

"We surrounded the building, had them cornered. I gave the go-ahead to move on the building, but..." Roselyn sighed lightly under her breath, apparently unhappy about what she was going to say, "he was expecting us and laid traps ahead of time."

"I lead the assault with five other agents." Greymane said, with a tinge of guilt in his voice. "Andros and Markus, who went around the back of the building, are believed to have been the first one's to go down, though we never discovered how. Cedris and Mia were caught in a localized explosion in the foyer of the building, killed on impact. he continued, increasingly focusing into the newer reports on the killings. "Eiyela and myself managed to reach the room where he'd been performing his experiments, but we set off a gas trap in the process, which temporarily paralyzed both of us. During which time..." Greymane took a long pause, his foot slightly tapping as his mind ran over the words, "he attacked Eiyela, causing severe lacerations across her torso and face, before setting off a chain reaction flame which quickly engulfed the majority of the building. By the time I regained control of my faculties, I only manged to catch a glimpse of his silhouette and eyes before he ran. I chose to grab Eiylea and retreat, but her injuries from the fight mixed with severe burns were too much and she expired soon after."

"In the end, Grey was the only agent who survived." Roselyn said, putting an end to the story. "So our bottom line is that this individual has very advanced medical knowledge of both humans and multiple races of supernatural creatures, including enough to plan for an assault by Lycan, Vampires, & Magic-Users, physical skill with explosives and noxious gases. They're highly intelligent, and worse, driven towards a goal we still don't fully understand beyond an apparent desire to merge the bodies of supernatural beings." Roselyn finished with a frown.

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:25 pm

"Curious you were the only one left alive," she commented. Her eyes were down, a hand flipping idly through some of the pages. Some notes were book ended by explicit drawings of the murder victims and locations where the bodies had been discovered, and comments made by witnesses and authorities first on scene. Fingers traced the inky lines etched into the parchment, and her mind wandered to images of blood and dead skin puckered by stitching.

"If this murderer is believed to have medical knowledge I assume you've looked in to any local medics, plague doctors?"

Eris glanced up to see Roselyn nod.

"As far as Croydon and surrounding areas. We set a perimeter of interest; some figures were more interesting than others, but ultimately we couldn't find anything. Our agents have been keeping an eye on them for some time but they have yet to act suspiciously."

Eris flipped a page.

"You've spoken to the victims families?" she asked then, this time directed at her new partner.

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:46 am

"Curious you were the only one left alive."

Greymane flashed a glance at Eris through the corner of his eye, but almost immediately returned to reading some of the pages sprawled in front of him.

"As far as Croydon and surrounding areas. We set a perimeter of interest; some figures were more interesting than others, but ultimately we couldn't find anything. Our agents have been keeping an eye on them for some time but they have yet to act suspiciously."

"Given the time between murders we're either looking at a supernatural or a copy cat. For the former, given the lack of suspects in the usual medical pool 80 years ago, I'd wager we won't find the culprit in any existing medical positions." Greymane said, pulling the sheets which detailed surveillance on the earlier suspects. "As for the latter, the majority of the information on the murders was released to the public, intentionally or otherwise, so it'd be difficult to rule it out. Either way, our best bet is to canvas probable abduction areas and try to weed through the usual disappearances for ones related to our case."

"You've spoken to the victims families?" she asked then, this time directed at her new partner.

"Not in person, no. The family and friends, of what little there were, were mostly mundane, but several of our agents in Scotland Yard their way into questioning them. At least one of the missing individuals had been running with group of supernaturals, whom reluctantly gave us a solid lead which helped us track the culprit down, but they've since been run out of the city by another gang." Greymane continued, before taking a breathe and sighing slightly.

"So that settles it then, canvas previous and likely abduction sites, call in whatever favors we've got for information, confer with our agents in Scotland Yard with regard to mundane family and friends, and find this bastard before he strikes again."

"Director." Greymane said with a nod, before turning and heading out the door. He waited a moment for Eris to exit the office and then headed out.

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:55 pm

Eris kept a cool gaze on the wolf but said nothing further, content to observe and judge in silence as he and the Director gave her the answers she sought, and answers she hadn't yet moved on to asking for. In the end she was satisfied with what they had given her at face value, and the information kept within the case file only corroborated any further queries she had. Besides, if she needed anything more it was always there to look back on, and if this man was to be her partner he certainly knew the most about it of the two of them, being so personally involved in the past. He didn't seem too fazed by her comment earlier, which she would admit was some of the intent behind it in the first place. The pace of his beating heart never quickened, the thrum of blood in his veins still a steady and unaffected churn at the edge of her hearing. Being the sole survivor of anything was suspicious to her, but when she thought on it again she realized that it was something they shared in common, for the most part.

"So that settles it then, canvas previous and likely abduction sites, call in whatever favors we've got for information, confer with our agents in Scotland Yard with regard to mundane family and friends, and find this bastard before he strikes again."

"Director," Greymane said with a nod, before turning and heading out the door.

Her piercing sanguine eyes trailed him as he moved to the door and waited there for her to depart, and she moved to do so with a clear and sincere "thank you for your time, Director," as she gathered the written files. As she passed the older woman, folder pressed to her side, Roselyn inclined her head with a smile and Eris slipped out beside her new partner and shut the door.

She faced him in the hall, her eye line just above his due to the slight variation her heeled boots gave over his.

"So, where would you like to begin?"

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

Greymane stared back at Eris for a moment, his mind once again going back to their first meeting.

"Old Nichol's the closest, but it's mostly open streets and slums, so we'll have to head there after sunset. I've got some pull with the Morris vampire clan near the waterfront, they're out of the target zone, but they deal with almost every supernatural group inside the zone,
so it's a safe bet that if anyone has heard something, they got wind of it.
Greyman said, his mind on the conversation to follow.

"Also, I realize we're on a clock, and I want this bastard more than most, but I think we'd both be remiss not to talk first." he began, walking towards the stairs to the first floor. "I don't talk much about that time in my life..." he paused for a moment, mulling over the words before giving up and continuing, "for obvious reasons. Which is why I avoided the subject in Roselyn's office, though I'm sure neither you nor her were unaware. Roselyn and have known each a long time, however, and shes happy not to pursue subjects I avoid." Greymane's steps were paced as he walked beside Eris, leading them on to the other side of the building where the underground access was located. "So, late congratulations on joining the last job you'll have for the rest of your life." He said, clicking open the door and stepping aside, before following suit.

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:27 pm

"So, late congratulations on joining the last job you'll have for the rest of your life," he said, clicking open the door and stepping aside, before following suit.

Eris brought the lip of a small flask to her mouth as they strode down the hall, before capping it.

"Decidedly better than the last job I had," she said. "Even if it is for eternity. Also,” she paused as she took a moment to rearrange herself, and slip the flask back somewhere under one of the folds of ruffled silk at her thigh, “I don’t mind not talking about that time. Far be it from me to go digging into your personal history, or you into mine. I’m only here to do a job."

Carpeted floor turned to brown and crème tiles as they reached the front foyer of the building, their path curving out from the right side of a grand staircase which led to the agents personal quarters above. Her belongings would have been moved there once she arrived, though she hadn’t yet had the chance to fully settle in or gear up before being called to the matriarch’s office. She stopped at the foot of the first set of white carpeted stairs and faced him.

I’ll need a moment to freshen up, the trip took several hours and I need to unpack. I’ll rendezvous with you.. Here? Or is there somewhere more fitting where we can regroup?”

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 pm

"Here's fine. I'll be on the main floor, I've got some..." Greymane audibly sighed, "paperwork to fill out. Besides which I need to tear through some old files and see how many of the informants from eighty years ago are still documented as being within the city." Greymane continued. Eighty years was a long time to be in the same place, even for people who could live ten times that. Most supernaturals had a habit of either moving or going dormant for a time to lessen the chance of mortals recognizing how out of place they were, so chances were that anyone he talked to during the original case was either dead or gone. With a short head tilt, Greymane left Eris to her own business and headed for the ground floor.

Greymane tapped his foot impatiently as he wrote out several paragraphs of description from his previous mission, being sure to make note of his own actions which went against protocol as Roselyn had required him to do. Even if he was a screw-up, as she happily called him, she said his actions could serve as a learning experience for younger agents on what not to do. It had only been fifteen minutes maximum since he'd left Eris, but he was already struggling to focus on anything other than tracking this suspect. Briefly looking at his timepiece, Greymane sighed once more, before scribbling a note, standing up, and throwing his jacket over his shoulder. The note on the desk reading a single word: Waterfront

Greymane leaned against a shipping crate, tracing the movement of the people going about the end of their day. The crowd had died down substantially as the sun came close to setting, the pier was somewhere even humans avoided at night, despite not knowing exactly why. As the last of the regular individuals drifted out of sight, Greymane turned his view to the waters and watched the final moments of the sun as it disappeared across the horizon.

"It's good to see you're still around Johnathan," Greymane called, without turning around, "I thought they might have sacked you after the last time we had a 'conversation'."

"Agent or not, you and I have a score to settle Grey." a voice called back, the slight shuffling of feet surrounding the area as half a dozen vampires formed a ring around the agent's position by the water.

"Careful, you keep talking like that and I'll have to take the other fang this time." Greymane said, now turning around and slowly stepping towards the lead vampire. He wore a trench coat, similar to Greymane's, though a dark shade of black in comparison to Greymane's faded brown, and a ruffled bowler hat with several nicks across the brim. He stepped forward to match Greymane's movement, neither making an indication of sudden movement until they were right in each other's face. In a sudden, unexpected flash of movement, both individuals raised the arms out wide into a bear hug before breaking apart and jovially hitting each other in the chest.

"You mangy, sack of shit, how've you been!?" Johnathan laughed.

"Much better than you, I hear. Still drinking through a straw?" Greymane said with a light laugh.

"That's not funny," Johnathan said with an almost serious face, "it's shit for a vampire trying to properly drink with only one tooth, you can't get nearly the right amount of bloodflow to get a satisfying meal."

"Yeah, well maybe next time you'll think twice about cheating at poker." Greymane laughed. "Oh before I forget, I've got a partner who ought to be showing up soon, have..." Greymane paused, light sniffing the air. "Speak of the devil." Greymane said, staring towards a nearby building.

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:49 pm

"You called?"

The figure in question was already upon them by the time the last word had passed Greymane's lips. If they hadn't known better being vampires themselves, one could easily have mistaken her speed for an ability to meld into the shadows themselves and travel through them like a mist. She had freshened up and changed attire into a loose-fitting black blouse and leather pants, her calves cinched by dark leather boots that reached to her knees. Her hair had been pulled back into a tight bun and each wrist was clasped with a bracer of some kind, a belt about her hips sporting a variety of pouches and a dagger that glinted in the light of the moon. She approached her new partner's side and gave a nod to the vampire he had been talking to; someone she hadn't personally met, but knew of, which would be the case with most figures involved in this case until she grew better acquainted with the city in general.

"We've not formally met, if that was what you were about to ask," Eris said, and offered a gloved hand to Johnathan. "Eris Hadleigh. I've seen you at past gatherings by the High Coven, but never had the pleasure."

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:24 pm

"A new vampire partner, eh?" Johnathan said, flashing a half-smirk at Greymane. "And I cute one at that." Johnathan knelt slightly to kiss the top of Eris' gloved hand, but, before he could, Greymane put a hand on his shoulder and spun him towards the alley they had appeared from several minutes beforehand.

"Easy, Romeo, we're on a clock. I need to see the Marquis." Greymane said, beckoning the two to follow him. Johnathan turned and gave short smile and wink to Eris before jolting forward slightly ahead of Greymane, the gang of vampires ahead of them parting as he did so.

"Not that I don't appreciate the visits myself, Grey, but the Marquis has been in a sour mood of late. I assume this is coming from up the chain, so I won't say no..." Johnathan stopped ahead of the two agents and turned back to face them, "But you should really try every other path possible before walking this one. At least for the time being."

"Unfortunately, we have tried every other path beside this one. So he's going to have to make time." Greymane repeated, a slight agitation in his voice, directed more toward the situation than Johnathan himself.

"Hey, hey... like I said, I won't deny you, just figured you deserved a warning before walking into the viper nest." Johnathan finished with a slight wave of his hand, ushering the two forward into a boarded up building ahead of them.

Once inside he led them in the cellar and through a false wall which led deeper underground. The path was narrow for a minute and then opened up into a several meter wide tunnel system littered with a myriad of tents and dwellings, each filled with denizens of the night. Their presence in the tunnels brought interest from a many, though most shied away the moment realized whom the pair worked for. Following Johnathan down further, the masses thinned more and more until the tunnel was inhabited only by those clearly under the employ of the Marquis.

"Give me a moment, I will tell him you're here to speak with him." Johnathan said before stepping beyond the veiled entrance of the tent ahead of them. Greymane stepped aside to Eris and spoke in a low voice.

"I assume you've been briefed on the major players within the city, Marquis Domnhall among them." Greymane eyes watched the guards around the area, all of whom seemed to be keeping their distance from the door, but kept theirs eye trained on them nonetheless. "The part that isn't in the files is that the Marquis has blood ties to one of the ancient vampire houses and the reason he's angry, I assume, is because of the failed territorial acquisitions across the strait. The Marquis had presumably intended to use the acquisitions to get out of the city..." Greymane's voice trailed off before he stepped back a moment before Johnathan emerged from the veil.

"The Marquis will see you now."

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Crossing the threshold of the Marquis' tent was like crossing the boundary into another world.

The dusty slums outside became a distant memory as their path opened into the main throne room of a luxurious mansion. The floor glinted with gold tiles and pillars which reached a ceiling that didn't exist; instead a dark smoky haze depicting a million constellations of stars hovered above them, too high to touch. There were no windows or doors that they could see except for the cloth flap which led them into the tent, but looking behind them it was now a grand double door, it's metal supports and inlay the same glinting gold as the majority of the room. Furthest from them, five wide steps led up to a golden throne lined with plum-coloured satin, the purple matched closely in shade by the various tapestries lining the walls and pillars. Floating candles brought light to all sections of the room except the area behind the throne pedestal, and a small number of supernatural servants and guards stood scattered about.

A dark-skinned, lithe man in flowing robes argued animatedly with an associate dressed in a stark ensemble of white petticoat and slacks as they stood by the throne, though the heated discussion came to an abrupt end with a wave of the darker man's hand, the barely restrained fury evident in the rigidness of his every move. Though his physical structure was unimposing, the pure emotion which wafted from him left even the most stalwart associate trembling, and the man he had argued with inclined his head and fled down the stairs, vanishing into the dark area behind the throne.

But the aggression vanished instantaneously as the man caught sight of the two particulars entering, his entire body turning with a magnificent flourish of shimmering gold and rich purple silks. He beamed with unrestrained delight much to the confusion of his peers, casting his arms out as if to embrace the entire room. It was only as he hastily descended the stairs that the reason as to why revealed itself. As he touched the base of the stairs, a small, lithe female figure moved in to pace behind him, matching each step as he continued forward.

"As I live and breathe!" He exclaimed batting gold dusted eyelids, his keen familiarity with the strangers eliciting some murmurs around the circumference of the room.

"Eris Hadleigh, my dear!"

If colour could return to his undead skin, he would have been aglow, though the flashes of gold jewellery piercing his brows and nose and the rich swathe of bright pink blush across his cheeks definitely helped.

"Solomon Xavier Domhall," Eris sighed as she closed the rest of the distance, a tinge of a smile on her crimson-painted lips. "I should have known. Or, apologies, Marquis Domhall."

"My dear Eris! By the gods, you return to me, after all this time!" He tutted, grasping her animatedly by the shoulders as he planted a number of rapid kisses over her face, leaving minute specks of gold glitter on her cheeks and lapel. Eris was tight-lipped as she smirked accommodatingly, politely - but her posture was stiff.

"I thought you dead along with the rest of Lord Aldain's coven! Such a nasty affair, with Visgoth's demise and the ensuing chaos. Many covens were dismantled quite brutally following your Organization's attempts to crush the remains of his rebellion."

"Only those with something to hide," she corrected softly. "I am very much un-alive. And I prefer to keep it that way, should he have somehow survived. You understand."

They stood apart from one another and clasped forearms, right arm to right arm, and each inclined their heads to touch – some sign of respect reserved for old friends, perhaps, or those of high coven society. Eris straightened.

"Of course, my dear, of course. You were never here."

Eris stared pointedly at the figure over his shoulder, who glared back, her eyes entirely rimmed with thick black paint, her pale skin complimenting her cropped grey-silver hair. At her side, a wicked curved dagger was cinched to her waist, the rest of her body covered almost head to toe in a black leather fighting suit.

"Oh, goodness! Don't mind Parrish," The Marquis assured. "She can be trusted. I guarantee it. As for the rest, they've no idea who you are, you can be sure. Now, what brings you to me this fine evening? A visit from The Organization's agents is not something I take lightly," he said cheerily.

Eris scanned the room for posterity's sake.

"There have been a number of murders recently as I'm sure you're aware, all bearing a very particular type of mutilation. The victims hail from both the human and the supernatural world, with parts of their bodies sewn together after death. The culprit is assumed to have extensive medical knowledge because of this."

The man's face had turned grave by the time she finished speaking, and he pressed a thumb to his bottom lip in thought. When he spoke, he seemed thoughtful and almost distant, as though lost in a memory. His brow creased in a pained expression.

"One of my men, Lucien Greem, went missing a number of weeks ago. I chose not to alert your superiors at the time as there were.. suspicious means surrounding his disappearance. I believed someone in my coven may have been responsible or knew what had happened to him, and I wanted to investigate. Personally," he explained.

"Unfortunately, we were railroaded due to the land acquisitions; his apartment is located just out of my coven's jurisdiction, and my acquirement of the area never bore fruit. But I believe he may have become a victim of this.. Murderer, as we found this in some of the belongings he left here."

From underneath his robe The Marquis produced a folded piece of crumpled parchment and handed it off to Eris, minus his usual flourish. She examined the note as she opened it, highlighting the deep creases that almost tore the paper apart, as though it had been folded and unfolded many times since its discovery. On the inside, flowing ink read; The Swindler & The Swan, midnight. Come alone.

Though not entirely suspicious in itself, the thing that did catch her attention was an unfamiliar symbol under the text; a scratching of red lines in the shape of a figure, and she didn't need to test the compound in order to confirm it was old blood. There may have been a similar symbol in the paperwork, but her memory wasn't what it used to be.

She handed the parchment to Grey.

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Greymane walked at Eris' side toward and inside the massive tent. He'd been here a few times before and wasn't much for aesthetics, so the gilded and magical nature of the room was somewhat lost on him. Besides which, his outward persona had been a little on edge since the start of this case, some small and hidden place in the back of his mind still reeling from the resurgence of someone... something, from had a left a black mark on his record and conscience. Still, he kept a professional stance and, seeing the Marquis reaction and obvious rapport with Eris, he let her take lead with the conversation.

Grey's ears listened as the two spoke, but his eyes slid across the room, tracking each one of the small and hidden flaws within the illusion the Marquis called his royal throne room, real and metaphorical. The Marquis was not a man to be trifled with, of course, but so much of his being, so much of his standing, was built upon a facade to make him and anyone who entered this room forget the squalid conditions beyond it's boundaries. It wasn't to say that the Marquis was to blame for any poor living conditions outside, the truth was that most supernaturals had been relegated to lives like the ones of those living in the sewers. The vampires sought darkness here, the wolves sought labor in the rail yards, the mages kept to what few places of magical learning existed in the city. Each had their own part in this play, and each played marionette to the master of puppets, the Organization.

"Visgoth."

Grey's ears perked slightly. A few centuries younger, a little angrier, a little more careless in his surrounding, etc, he may have even snarled at the mention of the man's name. So many pieces of dead and happily forgotten past had appeared again all at once that day and it was drawing at his sanity already. A part of him wondered just how much Eris remembered from that time. She had been the one to recognize him first, sure, but scars like the ones they had are often intentionally forgotten. Still, they had more pressing matters at the moment.

Taking the parchment from Eris and reading it over himself, he squinted his eyes. Something about this was off, not just in the sense that it was tied to the disappearance of one of the Marquis' subjects, but the letter itself. The writing, the patterns of the letters were... familiar, though he couldn't place why or where. Raising the note closer to his face, he smelled the paper itself and the blood inscribed on it, but somehow it brought more questions than answers.

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:13 pm

They left the slums in the Marquis' good graces and with a valuable piece of new information in tow.

Eris lagged behind her partner to converse with Domhall under hushed breaths, though she returned to the worlf's side several moments later with hands tucked away against the cold. They slid out a moment later with a flask clutched between her gloved fingers, and she popped the cap the next instant to take a swig. There was an odd pause as she brought it from her lips to look at Grey, as though about to offer some to him before she thought better of it. Capped and swiped away, the thing was again hidden somewhere amongst the folds of her skirt.

Though she wouldn't call Domhall a close friend he had always been a valuable commodity, pooling contacts and resources even as a fledgling politician should he someday rise to the position he now held. There were suspicions of foul play still lingering over his crown due to the untimely demise of his predecessor, and she wouldn't have put it past the man to play foul, especially if his tenacity hadn't mulled in the years she had been apart from the city. But he had things they needed, and would need in the future, so having one foot in the door already placed them in his good graces, moral indecency or not. Associations in this world could either make or break a person, and though Eris had seen her fair share of hatred for whatever role she had played in The Dark Forest, the name hadn't haunted her. It seemed, neither had it for the Marquis despite his position. Not surprising, considering he managed to keep well afield of the drama entirely.

She shut her eyes to the stars, or lack of - it was mostly smog above. That scratched symbol must have burnt itself into her retinas, as every time she blinked it was all that she could see. And with it, always the slightest pulse of a feeling. Familiarity.

With eyes still closed she exhaled a breath she didn't need nor couldn't use.

"We could see Greem's house first, or Swindler & Swan. Unless you have other ideas."

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:24 am

"We could see Greem's house first, or Swindler & Swan. Unless you have other ideas."

"I have some, but none more pressing than those. Had we known of this sooner, the 'tavern' may have been our first stop, but for the time being I think Greem's is our best chance." Grey responded, finally focused on the path ahead after the conversation in Domnhall's domain. Whatever else he had stewing in his brain lately, he always forgot just how much he hated being underground. Like being locked in one big jail cell. "Besides, Greem's place is in my neighborhood, I know the names that float around there. I can work the underground and you can work... well the under-ground." The statement sounded like a joke, maybe it even was one, but Grey's eyes were focused like a wolf slowly cornering his prey.

The streets were silent as they walked toward Greem's neighborhood. The cold mist of night had slowly set in over this part of the city since the sun went down. Most people were smart enough not to be on the streets at this hour, those that weren't were apparently at least wary enough not to walk the same street as Grey and Eris, as the roads remained empty almost as long as they been walking.

"I never asked you how you ended up here in London." Grey said, shifting the slack of his coat a little higher on his shoulder. "I've traveled a fair distance from where I started many years ago, so I don't often expect to meet people from my past."

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:22 pm

"I never asked you how you ended up here in London," Grey said, shifting the slack of his coat a little higher on his shoulder. "I've traveled a fair distance from where I started many years ago, so I don't often expect to meet people from my past."

A chill had settled amidst the fog, and though she couldn't feel it to it's fullest extent the crisp air left a cool feeling at the back of her throat and nostrils. She could smell the harsh smoke wafting into the atmosphere from the nearby chimneys, the otherwise clear breeze encouraging the sting of acridity in its wake. A sleek black cat darted across their path several feet ahead and vanished over the edge of a short overpass leading to a nearby park, a small path of water and gods only knew what other liquids trickling through it below. Eris raised her head to look at the sky again as she walked, but the stars were still obscured.

"I spent a number of years in Naples, working under Luca Corselli, the head of our Italian branch. Then I travelled Rome, Greece, the Americas. I came here three years ago on assignment in Wales. I completed it, and decided to stay," she explained curtly. "Roselyn offered me a position here in London and I didn't mind the re-location."

This stretch of path brought them across a sequence of boarded up shop fronts, delapidated share homes and squatters huts. The vibe of the area seemed to sombre the further they went, the stench of urine and sharp tang of spilt alcohol reminiscent of some of the hovels she had travelled through during her time spent in Wales. In some corners shadows scurried further from the light of the oil lit street lamps, before a cloaked or top-hatted head peered back out to glance the two passing through, and then disappeared once again. Old papers and other pieces of junk and trash littered the chipped stone gutters, smooshed against damp cobblestones laid out as a road.

Eris hooked her gloved hands into the slits of her coat pockets.

"You live in this area?"

TheBigun
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TheBigun » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Shea wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:22 pm
"I spent a number of years in Naples, working under Luca Corselli, the head of our Italian branch. Then I traveled Rome, Greece, the Americas. I came here three years ago on assignment in Wales. I completed it, and decided to stay," she explained curtly. "Roselyn offered me a position here in London and I didn't mind the re-location."

"You live in this area?"
Grey nodded slowly, listening to Eris speak, his eyes surprisingly calm despite the stance most might take on a this district and the people in it.

"I've heard of Luca, though never had the pleasure. In fact, I've not been to any of the Italian branches. Most of my early years were spent working for the Constantinople branch, before it was destroyed. After that business in..." Grey paused a moment and let out a breathe, the white fog swirling against the warmth in front of him. "Beyond that I headed north, searching for work or temporary positions up through Prussia and then east through France, before finally ending up here. I'd known Roselyn from our days at the Constantinople Branch, so it was nice to see she'd moved up in the world, and nicer that she offered me a position here on the spot."

Grey paused again, thinking about how much of the story he'd left out, and how much she likely left out of hers, before continuing on. He briefly tilted his head upwards to the sky and tops of the buildings around them.

"Formally? I live in the upper districts in an Organization standardized home... but I spend most of my time here, yes. The upper districts don't feel right here. They don't... smell right. Houses full of people pretending to be something they aren't." Grey raised an eyebrow at his own comment. "Coming from someone whose job it is to pretend he's something he isn't." Grey almost considered continuing, but his eyes caught the building as they rounded the corner.

"We're here."

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:26 pm

"That was good of her, Roselyn," Eris commented, letting the pace of their movement grind almost to a stall as they encroached on their objective.

Her new partner intentionally dodged certain facts about his past life, she noticed, letting mentions of old traumas and events trail into silence before moving the conversation quickly into an alternative topic. It wasn't from a place of pain anymore, necessarily, but perhaps because there was no real reason to talk aout it so early into a relationship and a working one, at that. She had done the same already, and would continue to do so if only for the fact that it was uncomfortable to speak of her old life at all, if not inappropriate. She was here, in her immortal life, and everything that came from that before place was inconsequential now, or so she liked to believe.

"Formally? I live in the upper districts in an Organization standardized home... but I spend most of my time here, yes. The upper districts don't feel right here. They don't... smell right. Houses full of people pretending to be something they aren't." There was a pause for thought, a correction, and then; "Coming from someone whose job it is to pretend he's something he isn't."

Eris nodded.

"I would say it is a human condition, but considering neither of us are.. A condition of being, is perhaps more adequate," she mused. Any being with sentience would strive to be something else at some time in their life, all for different reasons - to garner respect, sow fear, or simply to hunt more effectively. Which ironically was precisely what they were doing; shrouding their intentions in shadow and the mirage of a human form. They were practically the embodiment of the point she was trying to make. Stalking prey as the beasts of night, yet under the illusion of a civilised couple simply out for a stroll.

The conversation died for now as he remarked that they had reached the end of their short journey. A small townhouse with a decaying lawn stretched out before them, a small path trailing from where they stood to the front door, but not before breaking off into a smaller section which curved around to the back of the house. She stepped up to follow from the break point, the tip of her nose inclined partially skyward. She inhaled a sharp breath, catching something on the breeze. Sweat, decay, old rust.

"I smell blood.. This way."
I was thinking the back of the house is another apartment cut off from the main house that he was renting from the owner, like a large back room or cellar.