Memories of Yoshida High (MadxNin)

Roleplays consisting of only 2-3 members can be posted here.

Moderator: Forge

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Re: Memories of Yoshida High (MadxNin)

Post by Madrigal » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:42 am

Natsumi laughed as her adversary fell to the ground, holding her pillow aloft triumphantly. She turned with playful malice and smiled at Aki, who was desperately (perhaps too desperately) gazing around for some source of rescue.

"Bwahaha! Your hero has fallen, Aki-chan! Now I'll drag you away to my lair, and make you scrub up our dishes, starting with Makoto's baking sheets."

"N-no!" Aki said, her eyes widening. "Not the baking sheets!"

"Yes, the baking sheets. And the bottle of Dawn is almost empty, so you'll only have a little dish soap to clean them all!"

"WHAT?!"

Makoto gave a shout at Natsumi's proclamation, barely avoiding a blow to her face as her two opponents lashed out at her. She leaped back onto the couch, grabbing up a second pillow before wielding them in either hand, desperately trying to fend off her attackers with a laugh. "Don't worry Kai--I'll save you! Take this!"

Scattering one of her foes with a powerful blow, she threw her second pillow. The fluffy weapon arched gracefully through the sky, twirling gracefully before hitting the fallen Kai's head with a soft thud.

"C'mon Kai, don't lay there! Aki's counting on you!"
Last edited by Madrigal on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:37 am

As the pillow hit him in the head, he hopped up with a cry of, "Yes," pillow in hand. You could practically see the RE VIVE kanji flashing around his head. He motioned the pillow toward Natsumi. "That's right! The only one who should wash those baking sheets is Makoto!"

And he charged forward to assault the Dread Second-Year Pirate Natsumi-Chan.

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:27 am

"Hey! I heard that you--"

Makoto's indignant response was drowned out by the fluffy thud of Natsumi and Kai's weapons colliding. The two exchanged their blows, an especially hefty strike from Natsuki sending graceful arcs of feathers between the two. Natsumi charged forward, Kai bracing himself as their pillows collided. He skidded a couple inches back in his socks as they clashed. Despite her playful rush, Kai could tell she was clearly stronger than him, even if she stood only an inch or two shorter than he.

"Give in to the Dark Side, Kai!" Natsumi said with a smile. "Join me, and together we will rule the kitchen as Empress and hench--"

The sound of the door thudding open interrupted their dramatic moment. Zheng Ho could be heard yapping up a storm, even over Makoto's excited shout that dinner was here. As surely as a bugle cry, the pillow fight seemed to be over. Girls who had been dread enemies moments before returned to their seats, casually talking as they sat down on the carpet, couch, blankets and pillows. From above him, Natsumi gave him a gentle smile, very different from her humorously evil look moments before.

"Well, looks like a draw!"

She cheerfully extended a hand before helping to pull Kai to his feet. Again Kai got the distinct impression this girl was stronger than him, despite her small size. She had a wide, girlish smile on her face as he came face-to-face with her. Just behind her, Kai could see Makoto walking backwards into the room, balancing comically oversized assortments of food atop a power of pizza boxes.

"Guess we'll have to have a rematch later." Natsumi's expression shifted instantly from joy to shock as a thought struck her, hands rising instinctively as it did so. "Ah--I'm sorry! I haven't even introduced myself to you yet. I'm Natsumi, Natsumi Kimura."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:17 pm

"You did introduce yourself," Kai corrected with a grin, "Dread Second-Year Pirate Natsumi-chan." Kai gave a very proper Japanese bow as he introduced himself. "Aoki Kairi." Then paused. "Ah, I mean, Kairi Aoki. Aoki's my family name. Oh! But I prefer Kai, please."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:20 am

"O-oh that's okay." Natsumi said with a smile. She responded with a bow of her own. "I grew up in a house of Japanese immigrants. My family name's Kimura. My father's a professional martial artist and karate instructor."

If Natsumi had any other thoughts, they were cut off as Makoto paused by the two, carrying a pile of food balanced precariously on one arm while absentmindedly chewing on a slice of pizza. She handed Natsumi a plastic container with a very extravagant fruit salad inside. Natsumi accepted the offering with her wide smile. Makoto took a moment to shift her pile of food before reaching on top and pilling a Big Kahuna bag from the top and handing it to Kai.

The next few minutes were a mix of conversation and chewing. Most of Makoto's friends chatted excitedly among themselves. Honestly, it was quite difficult to follow. School, the past vacation, boys, fashion, movies and books were all a small sampling of what Kai could hear around him. Some of the other girls, like Lei, kept to themselves mostly. Makoto however seemed absolutely determined that no one should be having a bad time. After downing two more slices of pizza and guzzling the better half of a two liter bottle of soda, she began enthusiastically conversing with her friends, often trying to rope the quieter girls into her train of thought. Lenora, Natsumi and the girl called Tonija joined in excitedly as well. It wasn't long before even the quieter students were laughing and sharing with the loud and boisterous ones. Kai was trying to mentally catch up with the conversation when the Latina girl spoke up.

"I've an idea--let's play Truth or Dare!"

"I don't know..." Said the girl with the sunhat, playing with the straw item in her hands. "Isn't that a kid's game?"

"That sounds like a great idea!" Makoto said, with her customary youthful energy. "Everyone done eating? Let's make a little circle around the coffee table here. Aaand we need a bottle--this'll do!"

Makoto triumphantly held up a glass bottle in one hand. The label was in French, and unfamiliar to Kai, though the playful design featuring oranges on the front seemed to imply it was a seltzer bottle. "Alright, everyone crowd around."

The group shuffled closer with varying levels of enthusiasm. Next to Makoto, Kai could see Serena absentmindedly playing with her phone. Natsumi looked nervous yet excited. Lenora simply smiled.

"Everyone knows the rules right? Someone spins the bottle, and they can ask for the truth or a dare from who it lands on. You can refuse, but you have to pay a forfeit to the bottle-spinner. Bonus points for imagination, but as hostess supreme I reserve the right to add new rules or change old ones as we go. Got it? And let's give her a spin!" Makoto gave the bottle a hefty spin, the blue container rolling in a circle on the tabletop. Aki turned to Kai from where she had seated herself next to him. The fire was still going strong nearby, and the dancing light illuminated the gentle expression on her face.

"I haven't played this since my freshman year. Makoto and I used to play this game when we were little girls. She thought it would help with my shyness." Aki looked down, her expression darkening as if lost in her thoughts. She seemed to recover mastery of her body, glancing back up at Kai with another gentle smile. "Have you played this before? What are you going to ask for?"

"Tonija. I dare you to...take your socks off and wear them on your ears."

"Can I at least wear the clean ones in my bag, Makoto?"

"NEGATORY! Them's the rules, Toni!"

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:26 pm

"Ah, no," Kai answered after taking a moment to think and let the racket between Tonija and Makoto pass. "Though my sisters threatened to make me once in a while. Oh, but there's no bottle in the way it's played in Japan." He motioned with his fingers, holding different amounts up. "Everyone holds up a random amount of fingers and you count off from the person starting or the last person picked and go counter-clockwise. Whoever you end up on is called King and gets to make the next challenge of any two other players."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:01 am

Aki nodded happily at Kai’s explanation. Behind her, Kai could see Tonija heave a dramatic sigh from across the table before slipping her rainbow-patterned socks from a pair of pink slippers. She unrolled the colorful bands of cloth before pulling them over either ear. The girls around the table giggled at the display. Then the girls on either side of her slowly scooted away. Tonija took hold of the bottle, spinning it about.

“Makoto and I first met when I was just starting Middle School here at Yoshida. There were a couple of people visiting her that weekend and she said she wanted to play Truth or Dare. I tried to explain how to play it in Japan, but...she said she found it too confusing. We haven’t played it since.”

The girl in the sundress and straw hat stood, walking with a look of faint irritation towards the rear wall of the room. Kai followed her curiously. The girl paused just before the wall, giving a faint sigh. Then she raised herself into a handstand, using the wall behind her for support.

Kai felt a strong blush fuse his cheeks. The heat was almost enough to make him forget the pain in his neck from how quickly it had snapped forward.

Or the color of the girl’s panties.

The game progressed from there for about half an hour. Dares were for the most part harmless. Eat a spoonful of cinnamon. Reenact your favorite movie scene. There were two dares to sing the national anthem; the first time it landed on Lei, who had to sing while standing on one foot. The second time it landed on Natsumi, who sang while performing the chicken dance. The newer students had a habit of asking ‘truth’ instead of dare as the game progressed. Usually the senpai were more than happy to use that as a pretext to ask their guests friendly questions; about their hometown, families and futures. Usually. At one point, the bottle landed on the girl with flowers in her hair, who chose ‘truth’. The girl who had spun before, Nina, teasingly asked if she were a virgin. The other girl turned very red, pulling down at the hem of her school skirt as she did so. Makoto’s voice vindictively cut in, telling Nina--with no small amount of unrestrained anger--that she should pick something else.

“I was kidding. I was kidding. Geez. I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable Umeko. Do you like movies?”

The girl merely nodded.

The game continued for a few more minutes, though it was only now Kai seemed to notice how much control Makoto seemed to have over the group of girls surrounding her. She sat like a Daimyo in disguise, watching with her exuberance, that concealed an unusually wary gaze. Now and then she seemed to sense a coming dare or question that might prove inappropriate (or worse unfun) and her eyes would veer up, catching the eye of the inquirer. She seemed to be having the time of her life, but the nervous glance the other girls might give her put Kai in mind of nervous courtiers in the presence of an empress.

The British girl gagged as she sat the shotglass on the table. A glass of Tabasco sauce would produce that reaction. Though she looked tomboyish--certainly rougher than Kai--she had barely managed to roll the bottle and voiced her question before she had to cough again. Serena looked over across the table, though Kai could see the thumb of one hand dance across the screen of the phone in her lap.

“Hip hop.”

She extended one arm, giving her wrist a twirl and sending the bottle spinning again. It was a few seconds before the bottle came to a pause just in front of Makoto. Serena regarded Makoto, not letting a modicum of emotion cross her face, before she finally spoke.

“Truth or dare.”

“Dare!”

“Fine.” Serena’s face turned into a small smile. One Kai didn’t like. “I dare you to take your top and bra off, and wear a towel instead for the rest of the game.”

The room was dead silent at that demand. Less brazen dares had died at Makoto’s gaze. Most of the younger students had been too modest to make a dare like that, while the older students seemed in agreement the Dares should be as tame as possible. It was very rare that they strayed from the script, only doing so when caught up in the game. Makoto merely stared at Serena, not quite comprehending what had just happened. Then she smiled.

“Challenge accepted.”

With an attitude that seemed a complete reversal from her earlier stance, Makoto pulled at the base of her t-shirt, pulling the worn cloth over her head. She paused for a moment to adjust her cap, as though more desperate to hide her hair than her modesty, before she lay her shirt to one side. She wore a black sports bra, that looked almost as worn as her t-shirt, thankfully concealing her bust. It was a fair size, in the B or C range, which loomed over a toned belly.

“Yeah, real nice aren’t they?” Makoto said, disregarding the odd stares and blushes of either embarassment or envy in favor of turning to Serena. For her part, Serena only gave a shrug.

“Eh, six out of ten.”

“Aww, don’t be jeally Serena.”

Makoto turned around, ducking behind the chair she had been perched on before emerging again wearing the towel instead of her bra. A short puff of relief escaped her lips as she tied the two corners of the towel tightly like a poor woman’s toga. “Right, my turn.”

Fujioka-sama took hold of the bottle before giving it a firm spin. With perhaps a bit more gusto than was warranted. The bottle spun like a top, gliding across the surface of the table with dangerous speed before it slowed. It revolved once, twice more. Then came to a pause before Kai. His eyes rose to meet Makoto’s.

“Kairi! Truth or dare, pal?"

“Dare."

The phrase escaped his lips before Kai even realized it. It only took him a moment or two before he came to regret it. There was a cunning, dangerous look in her eye. She raised her head as though she were preparing to pass judgment on the boy.

“Kai, I’ve thought really long and hard about what I was going to do when it was your turn. I wasn’t sure if you’d be ready for it. But you slowly changed my mind tonight. Now I have no doubts. I dare you...” Makoto was quiet for a moment, before shouting in an excited voice. “To go on a date with my best friend!”

Makoto pointed decisively across the table, right by where Aki was sitting, barely remembering to hold onto the knot of her towel in her excitement. The girls around her seemed to breathe or gasp in anticipation at her bold dare as they awaited his answer. For her part, Aki turned to Kai. Behind her on a small sidetable Kai could see a photograph of some sort beside a lamp one might find at a chain hotel. The glowing light gave her face an almost angelic look, beams of light and timid shadows highlighting her soft features. Her eyes closed as she gave a faint, supportive smile at the boy.

“Well, what do you say Kai?”

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Of course, he didn't even see the picture. He only saw that she was pointing at Aki. And he was stunned silent for a moment. A long moment. Then he turned back to Makoto. "Y-you want me to date Aki-san?"

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:11 am

At last, it was out.

For a few moments, Kai could only stare dumbfounded. Overwhelmed by what had happened. Then he spoke, in a nervous, trembling voice.

“Y-you want me to da--”

His question carried on, though that was all the others managed to hear. Makoto nodded sunnily, a smile to rival the Cheshire Cat’s on her face. “YUP! Huge honor I know. But I’ve been watchin’ ya, and I think you’re a perfect fit!”

Makoto wasn’t the only one who seemed to think so. A couple of her other friends started to coo and talk among themselves.

“Such a man.”

“So attractive...”

“Come on Kai, this is the opportunity of a lifetime!”

“...”

Though many of the girls in the room seemed to take a serious interest in the drama unfolding before them, some of the others of the group seemed less than interested. The British girl and Serena noticeably. Lenora seemed to melt back from the others, a small, sad smile on her face. Makoto smiled expectantly at Kai.

“C’mon Kai, its just one date. What do you say? We ain’t got all night.”

“I...yes.”

The room let out a collective cheer, many of the girls fawning all over the idea of the upcoming date. All the girls seemed to have kind things to say or excited thoughts to share among themselves. All but one. Natsumi. Unlike the others, she sat on her spot in the circle, her arms folded over the front of a college T-shirt, her brow furrowed and her face locked into a very evident frown. She said nothing however as Makoto sunnily smiled at Kai.

“Great. You’ll meet at six this Friday at Boysen Park. Wear something nice, you want to look good. Oh, I’m so excited, I just--” With an exuberant lunge, Makoto leaped atop the coffee table, thrusting her arms up in joy. “YAAYYY!”

“Makoto put your arms down! You aren’t wearing a bra, remember?”

----------------------------

The rest of the night proceeded from there. The game continued for a few more rounds, though nothing especially noteworthy happened afterward. Natsumi’s grim expression quickly aired once the game resumed in earnest, and before long she was laughing and joking with the others like normal. Makoto clutched at the towel tied at her shoulder as if it were her only child, a faint tinge lingering on either cheek. Serena bowed out from the game in favor of talking or playing with the phone she kept inches from her face, though the wide smile on her face suggested she was having fun.

As the group lost interest in the game and fell back into food and conversation, Makoto took a moment to announce it was ‘the moment they had all been waiting for’. Some glanced over with faint interest while others ignored her. Dramatically, she raised both hands--careful not to flash her guests again--and slowly raised the large ugly grey knit hat from the top of her head. She had straightened and dyed her hair since that morning, the formerly wavy brown hair replaced by black, straight, smooth hair. Blue highlights clung at her bangs and the end of her hair, as well as a prominent tuft of hair just above her forehead, which clearly required a considerable amount of hairgel to keep in place. There was a smattering of compliments which Makoto readily recognized. Soon after, the gang’s energy seemed to fade, and each member of the group slowly moved to their sleeping bags. Aki was among the first, giving a heartfelt 'good night’ before disappearing into her sleeping bag, though the faint light of a cell phone through the fabric seemed to hint she was actually still awake. The fire crackled on the hearth nearby, quiet conversations between Makoto’s friends nearly inaudible. Kai might have heard some of it if he tried, but half a dozen of the girls were telling ghost stories by the sofa. The mixture of melodramatic recitations, sharp interjections, panicked squeaks and outright screams made it difficult to follow any of the other girls talking. Eventually, everyone simply drifted off, with only the odd sniff of the nose, pop of the fire or muted sound of ‘LEVEL UP!’ to distract Kai from his rest.

---------------------------------

School the next day was as dry and uneventful as Kai might have guessed. True to her word, Makoto was in Uzuk’s classroom, loudly arguing with him over Kai’s right to wear his chosen uniform. In hindsight, her argument might have carried more weight if she didn’t refer to the boy's uniform as ‘Pantsu’ halfway through the conversation. At lunchtime, Makoto stood up from the table in the green jackets to hang out before lessons resumed. After asking how he liked her new hair (again) and two reminders of his date this Friday, Makoto slipped away. Kai barely had the chance to catch her muttering something about ‘sneaking one more cup of pudding’ before the bell rang.

Another several hours passed, before at last the bell rang signalling the end of the day. The general shuffle of students swiftly leaving had only just started when Kai’s phone buzzed, signalling he had a text. To his surprise it was from a name he didn’t remember entering. Makoto. Well, ‘Makoto, the Fasting Thing Alive’.
‘hi kai

in detention. stupid mr. mitchfield telling me i can’t eat pudding in class. aki’s at sc 9sheltered controlfreaks0 so we can’t hang today. may b 2morrow.

makoto

p.s.

shift key’s glitched, don’t judge.’

Kai pocketed his phone as he stepped out in the hall. Though many of the students were already walking to the front gate, it was clear the student life of the building was far from dead. Dull announcements droned overhead, reminding students of upcoming activities later in the year. The faint hum of musical instruments from the opposite hallway hinted that the band club was already in session. In the main hall, he could see students carrying sports equipment wandering towards the rear of the building. Even this early in the school year, he could see one or two students were carrying books and tablets to the library. Yoshida had an enthusiasm and energy his old school in Michigan had lacked. Even the air itself seemed to swell with its own background music, as the dulcet sounds of a skillful pianist on display echoed from a room down the hall opposite marked ‘Storage’.

The school was Kai’s to explore.
Last edited by Madrigal on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:28 am

Kai took a good long moment to decipher the text, peering closely at the tiny block lettering of the flip phone and cursing Makoto's inconsideration of how her spacing made it nearly impossible to read on the thing, even causing it to split into two separate messages he had to flip between and read. He had to wonder how she managed to get the text out in the first place from detention, but thinking of her made him wonder if he should ask her about doing a fringe dye job on his hair, too, before the date, wondering if Aki would like it, or if it would make him look like more of a tough guy. But then his eyes backed up from the screen and took in the hand-me-down royal purple flip phone he had in an age of smartphones, complete with his middle sister's old nyan cellphone strap, and he pulled himself back into the real world as he closed the device and stuffed it into his pocket again. That was probably for the best, if he came home with anything but his own black hair anywhere on his head, his mother would throw a fit.

Well, then, the question became what to do today. He didn't need to worry about Makoto dragging him off, and Aki wasn't available. He really did need to look into some sports or something, a complete high school life had to include high school activities. He saw some of the other boys heading that way and briefly started that way, as well, wondering if there was a soccer team, but stopped when he heard piano music, but not from the direction of the music room. He traced it back and found himself outside the most unlikely of places. The Storage closet. Confused by that, he listened for a bit and waited for a short break in the music, then knocked on the door.

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:55 pm

The knock echoed through the hollow hall. The piano player, whomever it was, seemed to take no notice as it continued playing its tune unabated. Kai stood there, for a moment or two. For a moment the thought occured to him that it might be a ghost of some sort. Yoshida had stood on this spot for decades. Then, licking his suddenly dry lips, he turned the handle.

The store room was absolutely packed, Kai’s vision instantly obscured by a vision of cardboard boxes neatly stacked, alongside music stands and old musical instruments placed or shoved into position, at times precariously. The whole room was so dense that at first he assumed there was no way in. A second glance however revealed a small passageway between the boxes arrayed within, like the secretive entrance to a forgotten labyrinth. Kai took in a breath, and stepped inside.

Maneuvering his way through the wall of detritus, Kai slowly made his way inward. The lilting tune sounded familiar. Something of Mozart or Chopin perhaps. It was a slow melody, soft and comforting, as bittersweet as it was warm. The piece was impressively recited, ringing with the precision and control worthy of any music hall. And it was close now. The hair on the back of his neck slowly rose at that thought. Perhaps he would take a deep breath, then jump around the corner...

Kai darted around the corner. Paused. Then blinked.

Before him, shoved away in the corner like a forgotten dust-bunny of mammoth proportions was a light brown piano coated in dust. The top of the piano supported a few more boxes, apart from the right corner, which was playing host to a metronome and a cup. None of those details came to Kai’s mind at the time however. Seated at the piano, obscured by a long cascade of curled blond hair was a girl, perhaps a junior or senior, dressed in the school uniform. She turned her head at Kai’s movement, though her pupils were turned instead to a cardboard box directly to her right.

“Darling? Is that you?”

Her fingers continued shifting across the keys for a second or two more before her disposition seemed to change. Gracefully, she pulled out the cover for the keys before her. Then, with a sudden motion, she spun about, one hand grabbing a long white cane that had been resting beside the piano. With a control that matched her earlier musical talent, the cane tip came to a pause inches from Kai’s face, as she leveled a stern face and clouded eyes at the freshman boy.

“Who are you? What are you doing here?”
Last edited by Madrigal on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:35 pm

Blind.

The girl that was playing that wonderful music was clearly blind. The thought slowly worked its way through his mind as he stared at the cane pointed directly at his nose. "Ah .. Kai. Aoki Kairi. I'm Kai." It was all he could manage to get his tongue and lips to form for several long moments, then he realized he should probably try answering her other question.

He thumbed vaguely back the way he came before he realized how useless the gesture was. "I-I heard music coming from in here, and it sounded so nice, I wanted to see where it was coming from, especially since the door read Storage. I didn't mean to intrude."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:05 pm

The girl stared down at Kai, her clouded eyes peering blankly at Kai’s mouth as he finished his explanation. She was easily a head taller than Kai despite her willowy frame, hardly making her appear less intimidating. Then the cane fell to her side, before she offered a serene smile in its place.

“Ah, my apologies--we don’t usually receive visitors down here. Darling? Darling, we have a guest today.”

The young woman cocked her head around Kai’s profile, warmly calling out to a wall of plastic boxes, Christmas decorations spilling out around the overflowing lids. There was no response for a few moments, before a young man stepped around the wall of detritus. Like the girl, he had curled golden hair. His hair formed waves rather than true curls however, and the hue of his hair was far darker, giving it the appearance of shimmering gold in contrast to her radiant strands. He wore the school’s standard boy’s uniform, though the front was unbuttoned to reveal an untucked dress shirt, the collar of a black t-shirt visible behind the freed top buttons.
The young man--also taller than Kai--approached him with a friendly smile.

“Coming Dear. Ah, Kairi right? I’m sorry if we startled you--the two of us aren’t usually bothered down here.”

Tap. Tap.

The sensation of something bouncing against his shoe attracted Kai’s attention. The piano girl was tapping the tip of her cane against his foot with quick, controlled movements. She circled Kai in silence, taking her place beside the man and offering him her quiet, soft smile.

“My darling and I were about to have an after school tea break. Won’t you join us? Its the least I can do.”

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:54 am

Oh, they were twins! And really close, if they way they addressed each other was any indication. A native speaker might have been more aware of how close the terms suggested they were, but to Kai, they just seemed close. He gave them a pure, honest smile. "Ah, well, I intruded in on the two of you and you offer to let me join you for tea? How can I be rude enough to refuse?"

Maybe the girl would play the piano more, he thought. She sure was pretty. Er, the music she played sure was pretty.

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:34 am

"Excellent," The blond woman said with a smile. "Darling--set the table for me, I'll make the tea."

The blind girl brushed past her companion, her smile growing ever so slightly as she felt his arm brush against hers. He turned to a small side table, clearing an assortment of mundane items and music books from it and placing them on a windowsill behind a half-assembled barrier of boxes. With one hand he rapidly spun the table into the center of the clearing, or at least what passed for it. He pulled a pile of old dusty musical scores from the top of a chair to one side, pushing it into place.
As he continued, Kai caught sight of the girl over his shoulder. She extended one hand to where an electric kettle stood whistling lightly. She ran her finger swiftly over the surface. One, two, three quick touches, before she took ahold of the pot and poured the hot water into the teapot. A silver spoon dipped into the tea, only to rise again. Two fingers ran down from the pommel of the spoon, testing the warm fluid that clung to the metal surface, before it slid back into the tea, swirling in a circle.

Kai's attention was called back by the thud of the piano bench being placed next to Kai. The boy brushed his hands off, before taking a step towards Kai. His school overshirt was tied around his waist, the blue lapels on his collar marking him as a junior. He waved his hand towards the chair he had cleared, bits of dust clinging to the white sleeves of his dress shirt.

"Kairi right? Please sit down--tea will be ready soon."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:13 pm

"Oh, thank you!" He was a little nervous because he wasn't sure how much Eastern tea ceremony manners would be appropriate here, so he just accepted the proffered seat and waited. While they continued with preparations, he decided to broach a question that had been hovering at the forefront of his mind since he first heard the music from the hall.

"If it wouldn't be offensive for me to ask, why do you play the piano in here, instead of formally in one of the clubs?"

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:37 am

The man paused, his eyes flitting upwards to watch the girl from the piano. Kai could see her, standing in place as she finished preparing the tea nearby. Her long curled blond hair hid any hint of expression, even as her busy hands stirred a spoon in the pot.

“I was part of the Band Club, however the music teacher believes my talents require a more specialized direction. Mister Ulrich has kindly allowed me to use this room to practice. I’m preparing for an upcoming concert at Bethesda University here in Anaheim in two weeks.”

She turned, a silver tray in her hands as she walked with slow certain steps towards the two. The tray was furnished with a chipped plate with packaged cookies and a single scone, three teacups and saucers, and a single worn old china tea pot—a trail of steam escaping its spout. She leaned forward, placing the tray on the table before pouring a cup, filling it with dark tea. A warm, rich scent rose to Kai’s nose as she slowly poured the next two cups. He noticed she would pause for a moment, listen, and tap the spout of the teapot against the rim of each cup before pouring. She placed the pot back on the tray, before offering Kai the cup. As he took it, she brushed her skirt back, taking a graceful seat beside the boy. She held her hands in her lap, smiling gently at Kai. The boy to her side turned to her as she spoke, a breathless smile on his face as he took the cup nearest him.

“I hope the tea is to your liking. It’s a Prince of Wales blend, so it might not suit your tastes.”

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:32 am

His expression of being impressed was interrupted by the boy referencing the tea, so Kai took the opportunity to gather his words as he sipped it. "Oh! It's a strong flavor! I've never really had much in the way of western teas, so I'm not really used to them! It tastes great, but it's almost like drinking coffee!" He realized that wasn't the route he was intending to go with the conversation, and swallowed before clarifying. "Oh, but I'm not complaining! It's very good, thank you for sharing it with me!"

He turned his attention more fully to the girl. "It's really impressive that you'll be playing at an event like that! It still seems like a strange place to practice, but you two seem to have made yourselves pretty comfortable. You're really amazing how good you are with your surroundings and your music. I don't think I could play my video games or get out of this room without breaking my nose."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:33 am

The girl only smiled sweetly at Kai’s comments as her partner took the scone from the center plate, slowly tearing the pastry in half.

“I’m pleased to hear it. Darling did not take to it at first either. I prefer mine with half a teaspoon of sugar, though he prefers his plain. The sugar is sure to be on the tray, and I’m sure he would be glad to stop by the cafeteria if you take your tea with milk.”

She inclined her head towards the boy beside her. “Darling, are you using a knife?”

The boy paused, the nearly severed scone in either hand. He glanced down at the treat, then back to the girl’s face. Despite her blindness, she still managed to levy a stern, chiding gaze at him. Even if it was off center. The boy placed the scone back on the plate before him, his hands reaching for the knife and fork beside his plate.

“Of course Dear. What do you take me for?”

The boy went back to the task at hand, slicing what little resistance was left with his worn metal fork. The girl on the other hand turned back to Kai with her placid smile, hands still just out of sight. The boy gave a start, nearly dropping his utensils as if he had been stung by a bee. Soft, thin and pale hands emerged from the girl’s lap, taking the tea cup and saucer before her.

“Remember to save a piece for Kairi, Darling, I’m sure we can do better than old biscuits and polities. Please, help yourself.”

It was a moment or two more before the fork and knife extended across the table, placing two pieces of cut scone on Kai’s plate. The knife and fork then turned to his other partner’s plate, scooping clotting cream and strawberry jam from a Tupperware container to the side and placing it on the girl’s pastry. She slowly placed her tea down, before her hands rose again, one silently resting on his wrist before she reached over, taking a bit of jam, and placing it on his scone.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:46 am

Kairi couldn't help but smile at their interactions. The girl kept an eye on him despite her condition and didn't let him get away with anything. "Ah, thank you," he replied to the presence of the scone, though to be honest, he really wasn't sure how to eat it. They sure were nice to him, he hoped he wasn't being intrusive. "And, ah, no, plain should be fine. It's strong, but I'm honestly not accustomed to adding anything to my tea, so I wouldn't have any idea what to add anyway."

As he took the opportunity to watch how they handled their scones under the guise of trying the tea again, it occurred to him they'd never introduced themselves. "Ah, I'm sorry if this sounds like an odd question, I'm not really entirely understanding of American naming conventions. Um, are your names Dear and Darling?"