Happy New Year, Collectivities!
Wishing you all a wonderful 2019!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Memories of Yoshida High (MadxNin)

Roleplays consisting of only 2-3 members can be posted here.

Moderator: Forge

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Re: Memories of Yoshida High (MadxNin)

Post by Madrigal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:24 am

“Hmm? Ah no.” The man said, pausing between closing the tupperware containers of jam and clotting cream. “They’re just nicknames for--”

“Yes.”

The young pianist interrupted him, a playful look in her eyes as she gave Kai another sweet smile from above her cup of tea. “My name is Dear. And this charming gentleman is Darling.”

Her hand briefly patted the table with splayed fingers until she found his hand. Her fingers wound around his, settling on the table between the two. She offered a kind yet oddly playful look to Kai even as her partner gave her one of his own. First questioning confusion, then a knowing smile. “I apologize for not telling you sooner. You’re our first guest in quite some time. Darling and I have been so used to spending our afternoons alone we’ve forgotten our manners.”

She took a contented sip of her tea, while the man behind her sliced his meager portion of biscuits in half. A fork soon lanced the pastry before disappearing into his mouth.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:23 pm

"Oh, it's alright," Kai assured her, a bit confused by the initial answer. Maybe he was a bit embarrassed by the name? He could see that being the case. He put a smile on his face instead. "I guess normal introductions got a little lost in the exchange at cane-point."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:25 am

“...Canepoint? Dear, what’s our guest talking about?”

‘Dear’ simply smiled.

The three remained seated at the table for some time. Darling talked more frequently, usually about school, gaming or his personal life. Dear on the other hand would talk only now and then, usually to tease and cajole Kai or her partner. When she did talk at length, it was usually about her music. Darling would grow quiet as she did so and smile. From the sounds of it, Dear had been using this room for at least a year after classes, and given the names of the schools and groups she had played for, it wasn’t a surprise that the staff felt she was special.

The tea gradually began to grow cold, and the sky began to darken outside. Darling and Dear had just told an anecdote and were laughing together when Kai noticed the fading sun outside. His laugh died, his blood chilling as he realized how late it had to be. With a rush he grabbed his bag, turning and bowing as apologies tumbled from his lips. The two simply stood, Dear looking as serene as a medieval maiden as she nodded her head.

“Ah, my apologies Miss Aoki--I fear we’ve lost track of the time. You had best be on your way. If you ever feel like visiting us again though, feel free to visit.”

“Take care Miss.”

Kai turned and darted from the room, hurrying towards the marble entrance, aglow with orange light. He was in such a rush he did not notice the two had both mistaken him for a girl.

The front door of the Aoki’s flew open, a good two hours after their son was expected home. After a series of breathless apologies, he joined his parents at the dinner table where they had just finished their supper. The two talked intermittently, a minute or two occasionally passing in between their conversation until Kai finished. After thanking his parents, Kai hurried up to his room to unpack Uzuk’s assignments. Four worksheets, and a two-page essay. Kai had to wonder if this workload would stay consistent throughout the semester, or if this was Uzuk’s idea of ‘easy’. A couple hours passed by the time he finished his assignments and reviewed his notes. With half an hour of free time left, he plopped himself in front of his TV, 8-bit soundtracks filling the room before he finally turned off the game, curled up in bed, and fell asleep.

There was something different about today. Kai knew it even before his alarm started blaring. Even after turning the alarm clock off and sitting up in bed, Kai had a smile on his face. This was it. The big day. One brief day of classes, and then an entire afternoon spent alone with Aki. He washed up, pulled on his uniform, ate breakfast. All with that stupid smile on his face. He strolled into Yoshida with a broad wave, as if he were greeting an old friend. He placed his things in his locker before walking to class. Yes, nothing could sour today. Nope. Nothing. Not one single thin--

“Miss Aoki.”

The gruff voice of Mister Uzuk caught Kai by surprise. Even if he was right outside Uzuk-sensei’s classroom, he hadn’t expected to be cornered by the man outside of class. Uzuk seemed to appraise the happy-go-lucky Kai for a moment before speaking again.

“Its been two days since I cautioned you that you had been issued the wrong uniform Miss Aoki. I expect to see you in your correct uniform by Monday afternoon, or I’ll have to escalate this and get Principal Williams involved.”

Kai opened his mouth to speak, but the balding man just raised one hand.

“Monday by 1 PM Miss Aoki.”

The man turned and strolled into the class room, the grim and stoic expression of a man just doing his job on his face. After morning announcements, Uzuk began his lecture. He spoke in his typical tone. Informed, well researched, and very dry. Gym came, with the male freshmen going a series of exercises under the Head Coach’s eye. Then lunch. Makoto and Aki were nowhere to be seen, though Makoto sent Kai texts intermittently, giving Aki advice on his coming date.

Date’s today. Dress nice after school!

Your date’s a big fan of dandelion bookets and Powerade, even if they aren’t gonna admit it

MM Blueberry's best. Fruity drinks FTW.

If you play any games at the park, go easy. Don’t hurt anyone’s fee-fees. Fee-fees are fragile :p

Another few hours of lectures followed, Uzuk continuing to describe early American civilizations as though his students had never left the room for gym and lunch. At last however the bell rang, signalling the end of the school day. Instantly, there was a rush of kinetic energy, as half the classroom darted for the door at once.

Kai glanced up at the clock.

Two and a half hours until his date.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 am

Two and a half hours was plenty of time. Only an hour was needed for transit, half to get home, half to get to where he would be meeting Aki. He didn't remotely need an hour and a half to get ready. More pressingly, Uzuk-sensei had brought up an issue that had to be addressed, and best to do it before he left today. He wasn't going to have a date with Aki and then come back Monday being made to wear the girls' uniform.

That meant he'd just have to go to the Principal before Uzuk-sensei could, so that's where he headed, to the Principal's office at the back of the teacher's lounge. The teachers mostly hadn't yet had the chance to get there since he had made a bee line for it as soon as class was out, and that included the old-ish man from his homeroom. He was left undisturbed as he went back and knocked on the door, opening it to address the Principal's secretary. "Ao- I mean, Kai Aoki, I need to speak to the Principal."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 am

The sound of typing met Kai's ears as he entered, the face of the secretary hidden behind a computer monitor. He was silent for a moment after Kai spoke, before he spoke in turn.

"I am afraid the Principal is out for the day. He has an important meeting across town. However I would be happy to arrange an appointment."

He raised his head, facing the boy. A lean face, with a sharp nose and dark green eyes turned to him, and Kai felt his stomach churn at the sight of it. The man's face was heavily scarred on the left side, skin and flesh melded together in a hideous burn. The smile he had on his face by contrast however was very warm. Almost fatherly. Even with the burn marring his face, he seemed like the wise neighbor Kai might turn to for advice as a child. The secretary extended his arm across the desk.

"Hello there, my name is Frederick Leuger. I'm the secretary for Principal Williams."
Last edited by Madrigal on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 am

Kai's eyes widened momentarily in a muted reaction Mr. Leuger was likely sadly accustomed to, but the boy recovered well and stepped across to accept the handshake. "It's a pleasure, Mr. Leuger." Unfortunately, he hadn't ever actually seen a Freddy Kreuger movie and the comparison was lost on him. "It's really urgent, though. My homeroom teacher is threatening me because he's mistaken about which uniform I should wear and he's set a deadline for Monday for me to change them. It's an honest mistake and has happened a lot since I came to this country, but now I'm in danger of him escalating it and involving the Principal, and he won't listen to me trying to tell him he's mistaken."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:14 am

"Deardear." Mister Leuger tut-tutted in response, shaking his head solemnly. "Mister Williams likely won't be available for the rest of the day, however I could arrange an appointment with him Monday morning, if you're willing to come to school half an hour before class."

Kai heard a tap on the window behind him. Makoto was standing out in the hall in her track clothes, with a grin like a half-moon on her face. Kai wouldn't have found it a stretch to think she was going on a date with him from how ecstatic she seemed. She waved to him, as if suggesting she would wait, before giving a merry shout and stepping out towards the steps to the school outside.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 am

Kai glanced toward the window, and gave a quick wave to illustrate he got the message, and then turned back to the secretary. "Well, if there's no other way around it, that'll have to do, I guess. Could you leave him a message or something about it, at least?"

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 am

"Don't you worry Kai. He'll be there if I have to drag him there myself."

Mister Leuger gave a wink from the right side of his face. He extended an arm, adjusting the screen to show Kai a scheduling program for Principal Williams. Glancing over it, Kai could see it was chalk full of meetings with various people, mostly with English or East Asian names. At the 7:30 AM slot for next Monday however was a filled-in slot with black text across it. 'Meeting with Freshman Kai Aoki.'

"Your appointment will now be available on his PDA and e-schedule." Mister Leuger said with a smile. "Is that Miss Fujioka waiting outside for you?"

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:29 am

"Ah, yes!" At that, and at the news that he was definitely going to be able to get this resolved, he couldn't help but feel like he was grinning like Makoto had been. "She's set me up with a date with a friend of hers this evening! I should probably get going, in fact." He gave a quick bow, forgetting in his excitement that the secretary probably preferred a handshake. "Thank you again very much, Mr. Leuger!"

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:23 am

"Its my pleasure." Mister Leuger stood, returning Kai's bow before giving him a winning smile himself. "Keep Makoto's nose clean for me."

As Kai stepped out in the hall, he could see Makoto leaning against the wooden doors leading out to the bus circle beyond. She waved happily from the open double doors, pushing herself off from the doorframe. "Yo Kai! Whatcha doing around here? School's over, we can go home!"

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:43 am

"Ah, I just had to stop in at the office to address something with Uzuk-se- Ah, Mr. Uzuk." Kai adjusted the bag over his shoulder. "The principal's out on meetings all day, but Mr. Leuger made sure I was in the schedule at 7:30 Monday morning. He's really nice. I'm heading home now to get ready."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:33 am

"Cool. Ah--that reminds me! Kai, there's something I wanted to talk to you about." Makoto darted after Kai, placing herself before him in a burst of speed. She opened her mouth to speak, but her words seemed to die in her throat. She opened her mouth, then closed it again. Then repeated both actions once more. She turned, her arms striking her thighs.

"C'mon Makoto, you can't wuss out on your friends now..."

Her arms bounced twice more before she turned. Makoto placed her hands on Kai's shoulders, gazing directly into his eyes.

"Kai, sometimes bad things happen to good people. The kind of thing that isn't supposed to happen to good people. When that happens, its like they're someone else. There's a scar on their heart. What I'm trying to say is...be gentle with your date, okay?"

For all her worry, Kai's response was only to blink in confusion. "Hm? Of course."

"Good."

Makoto nodded with a small, subdued smile. She cocked her head, something past Kai's shoulder drawing her attention. "Hey Kai, whatdoya say we go to the end of the drive together? I'll race ya to the gate!"
Last edited by Madrigal on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:13 am

"Yeah, absolutely!" Kai was so pumped today he felt like he could outrun the wind!

To be fair, the boy put on a very good showing. Perhaps if his opponent had been anyone but the ace of the track team, he would have won the little foot race. Makoto's long legs unquestionably gave her an edge with their longer stride, but her experienced eye likely recognized that Kai ran like a hurdler rather than a sprinter, down and low to the ground as if at any moment, he might be expected to jump something. That wasn't a style of running one naturally adopted, perhaps he had a track history of his own?

Regardless, it was no match for Makoto's stride length and sprinter's stance, and she cleared the finish line full seconds ahead of him.

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:40 am

"WOO! I win! Victory for the Fujioka clan!"

Makoto shouted out loud, running around in a small circle just ahead of Kai. She gave a joyful cry, raising her hands up in twin peace signs as she gave a small victory lap. She waited until Kai reached the gate behind her. She crossed her arms, looking down at the gasping Kai. She had an assessing look in her eye, one he might have thought unusual given his interactions with her. She gave Kai a smile as he caught his breath.

"Not bad, beansprout. You look like you used to be a Track & Fielder too. Did you run back in Michigan or Okinawa?"

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:19 pm

She didn't really have that much time, and he wasn't gasping. All the same, he shook his head. "Okinawa, but it wasn't track and field. I always found running in a big, flat circle pretty boring, and there wasn't a lot of that available there, anyway. Free running was a really big thing there that a lot of the kids were into."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:53 am

"Really?"

Makoto looked thoughtful at the revelation, while she gave Kai a smile. "You know, we're having tryouts for Track and Field next weekend. We need runners for Cross Country. It'd be a good way to meet people at your new school, even if you don't want to compete."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 am

Kai frowned, but considered the offer. "I guess I could check it out, but it sounds really dull to me."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:13 am

"Aww Kai, don't be silly. How can it be dull with me there?" Makoto smiled gleefully, before delivering a happy slap to Kai's back. "You'll love it! We're all great people who have a great time together, 'cuz we're the best at what we do. Well, I'm gonna letcha go get ready for your date! Ooh--I'm so excited! You'll have to tell me all about it on Monday! Later."

She gave an enthusiastic wave, before racing down the street.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Fri May 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Back home, Kai spent an unusual amount of time in front of the mirror. Though first, he had grabbed a snack. It would look better if he didn't act like he was starved as soon as the food came. And then he brushed his teeth, nothing worse than getting toothpaste on new clothes. Took the opportunity to snag a quick shower, too. But then it was all about the mirror. It was a long, drawn-out, painful reminder that so many of his clothes were hand-me-downs. Finding something sufficiently casual for day to day wear was rarely an issue, and he had a set of clothes roughly approximating formal wear kept carefully pressed and hung in the closet for when it was needed, but anything more complex than that was ... difficult. Fortunately, years of practice had made Kai something of a self-proclaimed whiz of makeshift fashion, and he usually felt confident that, given a box of clothes of varied, unspecified origins, he could come up with something that looked presentable. But there was the rub. Presentable was fine and dandy for going out in public to run errands or go to the library, but for a first date with Aki, it was wholly inadequate. It required a balancing act. Too formal, and he'd look too serious. Too casual, and he'd look uninterested. Too eccentric, and she would be embarrassed to be seen with him. Too plain, and he'd be too bland to be memorable.

The bottom half was easy. A combination of boxer-briefs and brown khakis would fit his form well and be comfortable no matter how nervous he got without twisting and bunching unsightly. After brief consideration, he had pulled shoes with a slight platform to them. As near as he could figure, he and Aki were roughly the same height, and while seeing eye to eye may have been metaphorically great, a slight artificial height difference would hopefully be appreciated by both of them. That just left the top. To be casual without being sloppy ... and remembering the weather, too. This early in fall, it was still rather warm, and overdressing would end the date in a quick mess if he was drenched in sweat. The only other clothing his boxer-briefs, he'd try on a shirt or two, pose in front of the mirror, toss them aside, and go back for another combination, or shuffle through the ones he had out to try one on again. He tried a t-shirt underneath an open button-shirt, but decided that the side the buttons were on - it was actually a blouse - was too obvious that way, so he tried buttoning it up, but then worried it would be too many layers. He ditched the t-shirt, but then was worried the top would be too transparent. Ditching the top left the t-shirt too plain. Finally, he tried a slightly thicker white blouse with black designs over an athletic tank top. He examined the look in the mirror and rolled the sleeves up about a third of the way. The chest worried him a bit, between the tank and the blouse, there was a bit of extra cloth that was obviously intended to be filled. He worried that the straps of the tank and that slight extra cloth might make him look like he had something wrong with his chest, but giving it a few smoothings convinced him otherwise, and as he tied his hair with a black ribbon, he considered what else he might need. Something still seemed to be missing, and once he finished securing his hair, he went for a civilian beret, pulling it onto his head a little crooked as he smiled. There, just a little rebel vibe to set off the nice boy aesthetic, he decided, and, pleased, he headed for the door.

Only to notice how cold his legs were. Oh, right. The pants. Should probably put those on before leaving.

A few minutes later, he was coming down the stairs, the tank tucked into the pants, but the overshirt allowed to hang over the top as was his typical style. "I'm heading out!" he called to his parents, before rounding the corner to find them in the kitchen. His American stepfather gave him a look over the paper and then made a point to bury his head behind it once more. Kai swore he'd never understand what in the world was wrong with the man. Maybe he just wasn't good with kids.

"Okay, honey, have fun, and be careful." His mother came around, speaking to him in Japanese exclusively since the language was easier for her than English. She extracted a peck from her son and made sure he hadn't forgotten anything, then ushered him out the door so he wouldn't be late.

It was about half an hour later that he arrived at the meeting place. He looked around and took a seat on a city bench before checking his cheap, folding cell phone for the time. He knew he wouldn't need all the time he had, but even so, he'd arrived half an hour early. Still, that was for the best. It'd eat him alive worrying that Aki might arrive early and he'd have kept her waiting.