Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

The Rise and Fall of Ilvoran

Roleplays consisting of only 2-3 members can be posted here.

Moderator: Forge

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

The Rise and Fall of Ilvoran

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:33 am

Andrea Bernier
The spy walked through the empty halls of the Ilvoran castle. She loved the early morning before even the staff was awake. She liked to roam the hallways, listening to the echo of her footsteps on the stone floor. It helped her think.

Andrea had a lot to think about these days.

Throughout the past month, it was clear that it was becoming increasingly difficult for the Devereaux family. The opinion of the people was declining; it wasn't low enough to be worried about what they would do, but it had lowered sufficiently that the people would hardly put up a fight if there were a coup.

That's what worried Andrea. There were signs that something was going to happen; she had pieces of the puzzle. She just... she needed to fit them together, to find an answer before it was too late.

--------------

At breakfast, later that morning, she stands between the King and Queen of Ilvoran as they eat and discuss. So far they've kept the children from hearing the discussion, and they've kept everyone else out of the loop as well. It was hard to know who to trust, and the three of them hadn't wanted to risk suspicion. Andrea isn't an official advisor. Officially, she is a trusted confidant of the royal family. Unofficially, she is a spy quite adept at gathering information.

It is part of what has made the Devereaux family so successful this generation.

It is not unusual for her to join the royal family for breakfast. She doesn't eat with them but stands just behind the King and Queen between their chairs so that they can speak privately while still allowing the couple to enjoy their meal and spend time with the children. Jacqueline Devereaux is thin and seemingly delicate, but Andrea has always admired her spirit. The Queen may look like the wind will blow her away, but her presence gives you the impression that she would do anything but bow over. Jaqueline is tense now. She is smiling at her eldest daughter and listening to her husband, and so it isn't easy to see, but Andrea has known her for a long time, and she's familiar with the way her shoulders have come up, drawn in with tension. "I have to wonder if it is someone on the council," Julien Devereaux remarks, staring despondently at his breakfast. Physically, he is the polar opposite of his wife. Where she is tall and thin, he is short and wide. His quick and energetic personality is in direct contrast with her calm, thoughtful demeanor. Like Jacqueline, though, he gives those around him the impression that his will is strong.

His wife casts him a sharp look, and he sighs. "I don't enjoy speaking ill of the people we hand-picked to help us lead, but we have investigated avenues elsewhere and have nothing to show for it."

Andrea leans forward now, "Pardon the interruption," she knows that they don't mind, that they keep her for her opinion, but there is still a matter of respect there for the country's leaders. She will always show them that respect. They pause, turning to listen. "I think there is merit to the idea. It is not ideal, certainly, but we would be remiss to leave any stone unturned with your safety at risk." She doesn't have to add that their safety includes the safety of their children.

"See what you can find," Jacqueline says after a beat. She's reluctant, but even she can see that they shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them simply because they are on the council. "I just hope you are both wrong."

"As am I, Your Grace." Andrea is quick to excuse herself from their presence, offering a quick bow to the royal family before doing so.
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you."
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Re: The Rise and Fall of Ilvoran

Post by Ghostwriter » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:20 am

Mana Sylvantes, 12
It always started the same, a feeling of weightlessness in a starry sky full of colors. And in front of him a mirror. And the longer you stared at it, the more you saw, like that illusion of a world of mirrors stretching on forever where the closer you got to it the more versions of yourself you could see. And either he was floating toward the mirror, or the mirror was floating to him, or the mirror was getting bigger, or he was getting smaller.

With a disembodied hand he pushes it, and it opens with bright shafts of light pouring in from the sides. He shields his eyes, and when he opens them he is standing in his room. His real self is sleeping on his bed half in and out of the covers, but behind him the mirror on his desk. He floats up; able to touch things but not interact with them. It was as if even the even the curtains were made of stone. Which is why he leaves his window open before going to bed.

Outside is dark, but his floating self can still see, and he can see far. Anything he focuses on he can pull himself to it like pulling on a rope, or push himself away. It felt something like what he imagined it to be like floating or gliding. He soared over the other houses, and if he held his breath it felt like he became lighter allowing him to float up or down slowly. All the people outside moved as if in slow motion, making his new speed seem almost super human. He could make a lap around the entire kingdom in the same time it would take someone else to cross the street, maybe even faster.

Something from the castle caught his eye however, he focused on it and brought himself to, her. She was a blonde girl with long hair, opening her window, the breeze from outside made her hair seem dreamlike almost as if she were underwater. After admiring her, with the window being open he let himself inside her bedchamber to look around. It didn't take long to discover her vanity mirror, and as he hovered in front of it without a reflection he waved a hand over it. In front of him the image transformed from the candlelit scene at night with her at the window, to sometime at day. She had moved positions, from her window to her dresser.

His face flushed, looking away, back at her to the window. He was a young kid however, curiosity got the better of him, and he peeked shyly back at the mirror. Tho it felt dirty he didn't turn away, and for some time he sat there entranced by the forbidden knowledge that was unfolding in front of him. It was because of this distraction he failed to notice a crucial change in the situation. When he turned back she was no longer at the mirror, she was in her bed. The light was off... more importantly, the window was closed.

He panic'd, floating to the window hoping it was still open a crack... it was not. It was just him, and her, in a dark room, him unable to escape, her unconsciously unaware of his plight. His concentration started to waver, he went back to her mirror and waved his hand over it once more. "Need to focus..." he thought. "Think of my room, calm down...." The scene changed, now to a window to his room. There he was, half in and out of his covers on his bed. He pushed his hand at the mirror, and felt resistance. "Come on, need to go back, calm down, I can do this..." He floated sitting indian style in the air as he took a moment to concentrate.

He could feel the connection strengthening, a light started to glow from the sides of the mirror. Slowly, he pushed his hand against the mirror and could feel the resistance start to give. "Mirrors are like doorways, go through the door." he mumbles to himself. He could feel the magic gathering around his hand, he could do this. The light around the edges strengthened, his arm went through, now past his elbow. He was almost there, on the edge of crossing the peak. Then he could feel it, he was at the apex, it was all down hill from here. With a sigh of relief he fell forward through the mirror.

At that moment he woke up. His eyes open wide to the darkness of the room, was he falling out of his bed? Something didn't feel right, something was different. As time corrected itself in his perception he could tell he couldn't feel his sheets, or the bed under him. Instinctually he threw out his hands to catch himself, but there was only air. His feet touched something cold and hard, wood maybe, the floor? But the floor ended into emptiness in front of him. He was falling, blind, was he falling out of the window? No, he wasn't outside, there was no moon or stars, it was too dark to be outside. His hands felt something. "A chair?" He tried grabbing for it for balance, something... anything other than the emptiness in front of him.

If someone could see, they might be amazed at his agility and reaction time. In his own perspective things were still moving slowly, but he pushed off the chair to right himself. The chair tipped, he felt the wood again with his feet, he dug his feet into it and leaned back, flailing his arms backwards. With a little luck and a little skill he righted himself. He could feel time starting to catch up as he stepped back. Suddenly things were righted, the sound of a chair falling over could be heard, the crunch of something expensive under his foot. A second later as his eyes adjusted to the light he could tell where he was... he wasn't standing on a floor... he was on the girls vanity.

He could hear her stir from her bed, and as a candle was relit he stared at her stupidly. Standing on her vanity in his nightclothes, the 12 year old moved a finger in front of his lips and plead, "Sssssshhhhhhhh?"
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:10 am

Evelyn Devereaux
The princess knew that something was happening within the Kingdom. Her parents still treated her like a child and kept her shielded, but she noticed.

She noticed the tension in her mother's shoulders, saw the hushed conversations between her parents, caught the furtherance of Andrea's perpetual frown. No one wanted to tell her what the issue was, but Evelyn could feel the tension in the air.

Lately, she spent a lot of time alone in her room. Julien has been more careful about letting his children wander outside the castle walls, even with constant protection. Her siblings were younger and closer in age, preferring to play together leaving Evelyn to her own devices.

During these periods when she's locked herself away in her room, she writes. She writes about her parents, her siblings, about the castle, about what she sees outside. Sometimes she writes about nothing specific, just putting words down on paper. None of it is very good, but it keeps her occupied. This particular afternoon, she was sitting at her vanity writing about her suspicions about what may be going on with her parents, speculating on the air of discontent that she senses.

The air in her room is hot and stuff. She can't focus. Sighing, she closes the journal and wiping down her quill. Crossing to the window, she pushes it open, glancing outside. She'd wanted to go riding this afternoon, but her guard had refused per her father's instructions. She wanted to be out. The temptation to climb from her window and run through the fields was overwhelming, but only for an instant. Then, it was gone.

The rest of her day was uneventful, boring even.

That evening, she took her time getting ready for bed. Her handmaids bathed her and helped her into her nightgown. She sent them away, though, when it came time to brush her hair, preferring to do it herself, finding the motion soothing. She tucked herself in bed, finding comfort at the noises of the guards outside her door.

Evelynn felt like she'd just fallen asleep when she was woken, suddenly, by a noise in her room. She started up, quickly lighting the candle that rested by her bed. She froze, staring at a boy who was standing on her dresser. She opened her mouth to shout, or yell, or demand that he stop standing on her hairbrush, but he quickly rose a finger to his lips, shushing her.

He was just a boy, looking around her sister's age, but Evelyn was filled with righteous indignation. He had the nerve to break into her room and then insist that she be quiet. "What are you doing here?" She hissed.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:56 am

"What are you doing here?" She hissed, and he recoiled. "I doooooon't knoooooooow~" he moaned painfully. "I was just sleeping and then I was here, I've never done that before~" Still being half asleep he shakily climbs down from her vanity. "I was, you know, dreaming. And I saw you at the window. And looked at your mirror. And then you closed the window. And I tried to leave. But then I'm here, and almost fell. Have no idea what happened." He gesticulates all this wildly with his hands, seemingly more like a cornered animal than an assassin.

He rushed to the window and looked down~ "Hoooooo boooy, what did I get myself into?" He squeaks. "Only if I could fly, for reals~" He'd been trying to for awhile but no luck as of yet. Right now he was panicking and had trouble doing magic unless he was calm. "I know, rope! You have rope? We can tie it to the bed, and I'll lower myself from the window. Better than going through the door, with the guards, and getting lost, and all the people asking questions. No one'd believe this anyway, shit. Shit shit shit~" He turned back to her, a little crazy flashing in his eyes! "Wait, did you do this? Is that some kind of magic mirror? Some kind of... of, of trap magic! Yes, that's what must have happened." he accused, pointing his finger shakily at her.

Then he blinks. "Uhm, who are you anyway? I can't tell you who I am tho, nonononono. I'll get beheaded, or thrown in a dungeon, or worse~ shit shit shit shit shit!" Turning from her back to the window he moves to open it again. "Okay, do or die time. Make it or break it. When the wheel hits the road. Got no choice, gonna get hanged..." He starts to climb up on the window sill. "Shit shit shit shit shit~" he chants as he takes a small step out, holding his arms out to his side and hyperventilating. Suddenly he takes a big breath and holds it before taking one more step.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:44 am

Evelyn Devereaux
She started slightly afraid of the stranger, but it quickly turned into confusion. What did he mean he didn't know what he was doing here. He is the one in her room! She listened to him rambling, going on about mirrors and doors and magic and just blinked, staring up at him.

Perhaps he's mad, slightly off in the head? One wheel short of a carriage. As he continued his ramblings, Evelyn concluded that this must be the case. The idea further cemented in her brain when he walked to her window, clearly intent on walking out of the window.

She had slipped from her bed at some point during his monologue, and when she realized what he was about to do, she surged forward clutching the back of his clothes in her small fist before he could completely step off the ledge. She yanked back with all her might, practically throwing him onto the bearskin rug. "You could have killed yourself just now," she snapped, eyes wide. "If you're so worried about being hung, why would you do that?" She was about to continue, ready to lecture him in that Big Sister Knows Best voice that she reserves for her siblings, but their conversation was quickly interrupted. It was late, so there should have been minimum sounds in the hallway. Maybe a low murmur of discussion here and there, and perhaps some sounds of the uniformed guardsmen wandering the halls, but aside from that, there shouldn't be much noise. The fact that there was suddenly shouting and the sound of swords slamming against one another startled the Princess.

It sounded very, very wrong and her wide, frightened eyes turned to gaze at the door.

Andrea Bernier
As usual, she was not asleep when she should be. It was lucky that she was because it meant she was out of her bed when everything went to hell. She wandered past the chamber for the King and Queen as she roamed the halls. It took a moment for it to sink in for Andrea why something was odd about the scene before her.

The hall was empty, no guards standing outside their door. The door itself was cracked open. It felt wrong, deep in the pit of her stomach. With some trepidation, Andrea approached the room and peeked inside. There weren't any candles lit to indicate that someone was awake, and there were still two shapes in the bed.

Even with her close relationship to the King and Queen, it felt weird to be sneaking in their room like this, but something was wrong; she could feel it. With light steps, Andrea approached the bed. At first glance, it appeared as nothing was wrong. Both Jacqueline and Julien were in bed, curled up with their eyes closed. Letting out a sigh of relief, Andrea made a move to leave the room when she noticed the dark stain on the blankets. She then caught where a knife or sword had been plunged into the chest of both the King and Queen.

They'd been murdered.

Andrea was quick to exit the room, making sure no one was lurking in the hallway as she did. Then she slipped into one of the castle's many secret tunnels, heading for where the children's rooms were. A minute later, she was bursting into Princess Evelyn's room, taking in the scene before her. The Princess was awake, staring at the door uncertainly, hands on her hips as if she'd been in mid-lecture--Andrea could hear the yelling and fighting as well. There was a boy, too, in the room, sitting on the floor before the Princess. Andrea didn't have time to figure out what had happened; she was so relieved to find Evelyn still alive. "Princess," she hissed, and the girl's frightened gaze landed on Andrea. "You must dress, quickly, and get out of the castle," Andrea was already moving about the room, gathering up a few essentials in her smallest trunk, the one that could be carried by hand.

"What?" Evelyn whispered back.

"Now," Andrea insisted, shoving a dress, shoes, and a warm cloak into her arms. Andrea paused, glancing down at the boy. "Who are you?" He was young, and she wasn't sure about entrusting the life of the princess in a child's hands, but she also needed to go and see if the other kids were still alive as well.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Mana Sylvantes
After being jerked back out of the window he sat close to where he landed against the wall. As she started ranting at him he didn't get an opportunity to reply, until the sounds of... clanging... followed by shouting in the hallway? "Uhm, maybe you're right, there seems to be bigger problems riiight~" Then the wall beside him slid open "noooooowooooooah~" When the spy noticed him he asked. "You have secret passages? Cool... that would have been waaay better than the window..."

As the two talked and moved around the room he just sort of continued sitting there wide eyed as if what he was watching was more mind blowing than falling through a mirror a moment ago. When Andrea looked down and asked "Who are you?" he became very defensive. "Look lady, I don't know what's going on! I didn't do anything! I'm not an assassin! I was just sleeping... and then... I was here?" He pointed to the princess. "Then SHE threw me on the floor and started yelling at me, but that was before people started fighting. Are there intruders? Or monsters? A fire? What's going on? This is actually the castle, right?" He squints at her. "Oh... and my name's Mana. But if anything, who are you old lady? And you came from inside the walls too..."

After giving her a chance to respond he remembered the secret passageway he leaned over to look inside. "So cool..." Then he turns back to her. "Wait... if there's an attack, do I get a sword? I always wanted a sword~" Finally he moves to get up. "Oh, we need to save the king and queen right?" His eyes glimmered a bit, then became strangely serious. "I just hope we don't have to fight a monster like in the stories." Looking to the princess he adds, "Oh... other than a weapon, do you have a small mirror? That would help too."

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Andrea Bernier
Wow, this child talked a lot. Andre blinked as he continued, shaking her head. She ignored his question; it was best he didn't know who she was, anyway, and at this point, it didn't matter. There were more important things to focus on at hand.

Mana, Mana. The name--and the face, now that she thought about it--were distantly familiar. It took her a moment to realize who it was, and then her expression brightened. "Perfect!" She cut off the child's question about mirrors and such; she'd been more focused on her thoughts than his questions (although she was vaguely aware of him asking for a sword like that was going to happen).

"Mana," she called his name to get him to focus, passing the bag she'd been packing for Evelyn to the princess. "Take the Princess to your father." The elf in the woods didn't have many loyalties, but Andrea felt that he would keep Evelyn alive. He'd been rather fond of the King, after all.

"If you follow this passage, it will take you to the library. There's another hidden entrance in that room, in the spiral staircase; it will take you outside the castle. You'll be able to go straight from the castle to the forest." She explained how they could open up the other secret tunnel, and where outside it would lead them.

"No sword," she said after a beat, recalling his question. Partly because she didn't know this boy well enough to know how he would handle such a weapon, and she didn't particularly trust him with something that could easily be used to kill the princess.

Evelyn Devereaux
This whole time, Evelyn had sat in stunned silence. She wasn't sure what was happening, but the fact that Andrea was sending her away meant something terrible was happening.

At Mana's request, she picked the small handheld mirror off her vanity. He'd stepped on it when he supposedly fell through her mirror, and he had broken it but, "This is the only small mirror I have," she murmured, hugging the bag to her chest.

Andrea gave her a brief hug. It was the first time the advisor had ever shown an affectionate gesture toward Evelyn, and it surprised the princess. "Be careful, trust no one, and we will get you back home someday, soon." She pressed the hilt of a small dagger into her hand before pulling away. Evelyn's eyes were wide, but she clutched the weapon tight. "Go," Andrea said, louder this time, as she ushered both Mana and Evelyn toward the secret tunnel.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Mana Sylvantes
"Take the Princess to your father. If you follow this passage, it will take you to the library. There's another hidden entrance in that room, in the spiral staircase; it will take you outside the castle. You'll be able to go straight from the castle to the forest."

Through all this the kid arched a brow but said nothing. It was a lot to take in and there was doubt he would remember all of it.

"No sword."

"Awwwwwwwww cooooooome oooooooon~" he moaned while being ushered in the secret tunnel and accepting the little mirror. "Shouldn't we wait for the others?" he asks confusedly while turning. "We should wait and hide at least, I'm not afraid of monsters even without a sword. Plus... I don't really know where I'm goin' mam. Would'init be better for us all to go together?"

"You're right," she murmured. "Wait in the passage and I'll get the others to join you soon." She paused at the mention of going together. "I wont be going with you."

He nods and smiles at that, just seemingly glad to be helping. After walking a bit of the way in he turned to say again. "If you want mam, I can maybe help somehow? If they got mirrors in their room I can prolly peak in, to see if they're ok, if either of you can point out where the rooms are I mean." Tho what he was really thinking about is if he could figure out how he went through the mirror to begin with they could go wherever they wanted, or, at the very least he could.

To show the princess what he meant, with one hand holding the mirror he held the other above it and made a swirling gesture. If the princess was watching, the imagine in the mirror became cloudy, and when he held it in the direction of her vanity mirror she would see the image change again to its perspective in her room beyond. "See what I mean? I guess it's not really all that impressive but I know some magic, mirror magic. I guess I maybe have some spell or somethin to travel through mirrors too, not just see through them, but I honestly have no idea how I did that. I was just having one of my flying dreams and I..." He blushed slightly before adding. "Uhm, I had no intention of trespassing into your bedchambers, your highness..?"

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Sat May 18, 2019 12:41 am

Evelyn Devereaux
She brushed off his apologies; there were clearly more important matters at hand than him falling into her room. She was however, mildly impressed with the mirror trick. Hiding in the tunnel, she quietly indicated where her siblings rooms were, one by one.

The first room they look in is dark, but they can still see the bloodstains on the bedding.

Evelyn squeezes her eyes shut, unwilling to see anymore as she indicates where the next bedroom would be. Before Mana can even move to pull up the next scene, the doors to Evelyn's room burst open. They can hear everything from where they are hidden, but they can't see anything.

The princess nudges her new friend so they can peer into the room beyond the wall.

Two armored men stumble into her room. They immediately go for her bed. The taller of the two doesn't hesitate before lifting his sword, but the shorter one holds up his hand. "What?" The first says, irritably.

"She's not there," the second man says, sounding annoyed.

The tall man peers down at the bed to find his companion is right. Together, they start to search the room, including looking under the bed. The first man gives up first. "Where could she have gone?"

Andrea Bernier
After shutting the princess and the boy into the secret passage, Andrea slips out of the room. She's hardly made it down the hall and around the corner when she can hear footsteps coming from the other end. Pressing herself up against the wall, she takes a deep breath before peering around the corner just in time to see two armored men kick open Evelyn's door.

She just hopes that they don't find the hidden passage. She did what she could for the princess with the time that she had; now she had to go and check on the other children.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sat May 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Mana Sylvantes
As they heard soldiers burst into the room he brought a finger to his lips motioning her to be quiet but otherwise froze. Maybe if he had a sword he could do something else other than peek into rooms and make distractions? Still, he'd seen the room as clearly as she had... if the soldiers hadn't arrived he'd have rushed out to stop the other lady to tell her to come back. Again he motions to her and then the mirror making a 'What do we do?' gesture. Do they continue to wait? Do they try to find the as of yet unnamed Andrea again? Maybe the princess had some offensive form of magic or something to fight off the soldiers with? If so maybe he could take one of their swords at least... it seemed likely he would need something for self defense.

Furthermore, Mana didn't know these secret tunnels at all, heck he'd probably get lost even in the hallways of this place. Follow this passage to the library, then... then something about a spiral staircase that led out? If they waited how long would it be till she came back? Or would the soldiers try to kill her as well? As the princess motioned toward the mirror he once again attuned it to the mirror in her room so they could see what was going on in there. Maybe they could at least find out the identity of the attackers~ While they looked he'd whisper quietly "I don't suppose you know any magic? I heard the royals and nobles have strong magics. So if you know something that could help, let me know alright?"

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 am

Evelyn Devereaux
Evelyn had never felt so helpless before. She could do nothing but watch as soldiers burst into her room, probably looking to kill her. The boy looked just as lost as she felt. They would never survive on their own, and she almost resented Andrea for leaving them behind. The resentment didn't last long, as she knew the advisor was doing her best to save as many of them as she could.

The princess shrugged as Mana gestured to her. She figured they should wait a few more minutes, but now with the men in her room, Evelyn was growing nervous. She felt even in hiding; they were at risk of being found. Biting her lip, she considered her options. Andrea was supposed to be coming back, but who knew what would happen to her. The soldiers had just discovered that she was not in her bed. They had a small window to escape before a search party went looking for her. If they left now, it would give them more time to escape.

Mana's question brought the girl from her thoughts. She shrugged again. "I don't have any magic," she lamented in a whisper. Tugging gently on his sleeve, she nodded her head in the direction they would need to head. "Let's go.

She had no clue what they would do once they reached the forest, but it was better than waiting around in the castle walls. Without waiting to see if he was coming, Evelyn turned and followed the passage.

Just as Andrea instructed, the passage will take them out into the library. It's quiet and deserted, like the castle should be at this hour. It takes several minutes for her to find the secret tunnel in the spiral staircase, and she lets out a triumphant, "ha!" when she does before quickly clamping her hand over her mouth.

Fifteen freezing, very damp minutes later, and they're emerging from a small cave into the forest outside of the castle walls.
- Maya Angelou