Let the GAMES begin!

Synchronised Swimming - Deadline: 4th August
The Triathlon - Deadline: 18th August
The Marathon - Deadline: 31st August

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Memories of Yoshida High (MadxNin)

Roleplays consisting of only 2-3 members can be posted here.

Moderators: Dionysus [Rick], Hades [Forge]

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Re: Memories of Yoshida High (MadxNin)

Post by Madrigal » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Ichikaen went quiet at that, though Kai could tell from the expression on his face Kai had not said anything awkward or insulting. Rather, the boy's answer had just surprised his new friend. Ichi nodded politely, a smile creasing his face in response. He didn't mean to go silent for so long, but Kai's youthful enthusiasm was very self-evident. Not to mention infectious. "That's quite the plan. What would you even have to do that?"

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Kai tilted his head at that, but to sort the answer rather than come up with it. It was plainly something he'd given a lot of thought. "Well, I figure I'll have to go into mechanical engineering for college. Probably a minor in automotive. Then after college - specifically after, so I'd be an officer to be high enough to lead research projects - I'll enter the military. I wouldn't be able to go directly into research, even if I could put together some designs to impress them, so I'd probably have to serve a couple years or so in and around tanks before I could catch any eyes."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:40 pm

"Sounds like you have everything all figured out..."

Kai's new companion went quiet at that. Rather than examine Kai more closely or ponder his response, he had settled back against the wooden bench, letting his arms rest on the top of the backrest. His eyes were turned upwards, into the open sky overhead. Though there was still a couple hours of daylight left, the horizon had already begun to shroud itself in twilight hues, shades of yellow mixing with the dark blue of the late afternoon. The warm air was thick with the scent of palm leaves and flower blossoms. His Powerade bottle, nearly empty, hung listlessly from his fingers as Ichi gazed up at the sky. "I don't even know what I'm going to do with my life anymore..."

He was quiet for a long moment after that until he found his words again. His eyes remained turned up to the sky as he spoke, though as he did so his gaze would swivel back to Kai. A small, friendly smile on his face. "Now and then I try to work out my future, but my mind keeps running around in circles. Its hard to focus on your future when you don't want to be there, I guess. I'm actually very jealous of you. The way you talk about it, with such certainty? I'd give up anything for that. 'When you hesitate, you're defeated' as my sensei says."

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:36 pm

But Kai could only shrug at that, rolling shoulders as if unsaddling a weight. "I dunno, it's really pretty bizarre when you think about it, isn't it? Having everything planned out so that you're just waiting for it to happen? It kind of defeats the whole purpose of being young in the first place, doesn't it? Finding new things to like, new hobbies, new dreams. Learning different things. The old people always say we're fools for rushing through it all so fast, right?"

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:06 pm

"Maybe you're right."

The redheaded teen went quiet after that. It was hard to tell, but it felt as if there was something on his mind, just beneath the surface. Though there was nothing that hinted he had more to say in his posture or tone, Kai could almost see something in his face, as if his new companion were meditating on Kai's words. On memories long past.

After a moment, the look seemed to die. Ichikaen stood, airily throwing his bottle into the trash. The bottle spun in the air, twisting as precise as any tank shell before disappearing into the recycling container, the blue flap swinging hungrily from side to side. Ichi turned back to Kai, giving him a smile, before he languidly took a seat back beside Kai, hands in his pockets. "It sounds like you've had this plan of yours for awhile. When did you guess that's what you wanted to do with your life?"

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:23 am

"The first time I hooked up my uncle's archaic console and played Battlezone." The answer came as nonchalantly as it did unhesitatingly. It was certainly not a point of origin he questioned, or thought needed further expounding. Instead, he nodded to the waste receptacle. "Nice shot. Do you play basketball?"

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:21 am

"Nah." He shook his head as he resumed his seat. "Football. I spent two summers playing it in Middle School. Quarterback mostly. It was okay, but it got old after awhile. There's only so many times you can throw a ball and get tackled to the ground before you begin to forget what 'fun' is. I've been a lifelong baseball player though. I think my mother taught me how to play when I was four. That and martial arts take up most of my free time."

He was quiet for a moment, perhaps wary of derailing the conversation by going too deep into his own interests. It was clear from the way he talked that he was very comfortable in the physical realm of sports. Who knows how many stories on the field or dojo he might have to share if Kai inquired more deeply. Rather than risk boring his new friend though, Ichi just offered his easy smile before speaking again. "How about you?"

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:41 am

"Oh, uh ..." Kai rubbed the back of his head, feeling like his man card was suddenly under inspection after that kind of resume. "There weren't a lot of sports to do back home. Not officially, anyway. There was nowhere really big enough for real baseball. There were some basketball courts, that was always fun, but it was never anything formal, mostly just a bunch of kids shooting baskets with whoever showed up." His smile widened. "The big thing was free running! There was lots of opportunity for that! I could cover a mile of urban sprawl in five and a half minutes on a really good run."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm

"Wow."

The phrase just kind of slipped free from Ichi's lips. Contrary to what the boy might have feared, there was no bite to it. No hint of sarcasm or disdain. Just a single word spoken honestly. Ichi nodded faintly, as if to reassure Kai that his manhood wasn't under scrutiny. "Running's something I do a lot of. I never feel freer than when I'm in motion, whether I'm sprinting, driving or riding my bike."

Ichi went quiet for a moment after that. After pausing to see if Kai had anything to add, something seemed to catch his eye. A few yards away there was a basketball court, set with two pairs of baskets, one on either side of the long court. There had been a man there when they first started talking, though he seemed to have left when the two weren't looking. Ichi seemed to smile at the sight of the court. After a moment he turned back to Kai, indicating the court and the single orange sphere near the center. "Hey Kai, up for a game of hoops? I think it'll be an even match, and we have a little sunlight left."

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:19 am

"Haha, I don't know how even it will be," Kai replied, "but sure, we can play a bit."

Kai wasn't bad. He wasn't a star basketball player, but he was quick enough that Ichi quickly discovered that he couldn't afford to just take it easy on the youth and let Kai win. But ultimately, Ichikaen was the superior athlete. Not so much so that Kai didn't have ANY points, but as the sunlight started giving up the ghost, the winner was clear. Maybe if Kairi had ever been on an actual, trained team, it'd be a fairer match, but the foreigner's amateur status was too blatant. Obviously, the kind of playing back in Okinawa had been little more than trying to take the ball and shooting at a single hoop, requiring an almost immediate correction, and while that took well enough, it still left Kai's strategies for the game far too simplistic and primitive.

This didn't seem to dampen Kairi's mood at all, however, and as they took a break for some water, Kai was grinning. "That was fun, thanks for the game." Obviously, winning or losing the impromptu basketball match mattered far less than the enjoyment of the activity to the youth.

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:00 pm

"Yeah, that was fun."

The older boy turned back to Kai, still holding the aged and partially deflated ball in one hand. By now, the sun was beginning to draw lower. They must have been playing for more than half an hour. It had to be eight at least, though the evening air scarcely felt colder. The lamps in the park slowly came to life, one by one, casting phosphorescent beams of illumination throughout the darkening green square. Ichi raised one of his muscular arms, wiping a few flecks of sweat Kai could barely make out. He had shed his jacket for the game, exposing muscular arms tanned from years of practice on sports fields emerging from his clean black Tee. He dribbled the ball twice more, before he looked up at the sun, then back to Kai. A daring smile on his face.

"One more game before you go home?"

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:40 pm

The daring smile made Kai's go crestfallen. "I wish I could, sorry," he apologized. "I've got a walk home and I've been out much longer than I expected already." He moved over to where he had discarded his shoes, which hadn't been appropriate for play with their extra platform height, slight as it had been, and sat to slip socks back on first. "If I don't get going, I'm going to worry the life out of my mother."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 pm

"I gotcha."

Ichi gave an understanding nod. He turned as Kai began pulling his socks on, dribbling the ball before giving it an easy overhand throw. The faded orange sphere arced gracefully in the air, before bouncing harmlessly off the brim of the hoop and disappearing into the bushes. Ich turned, walking back to where Kai was sitting. "So, ah, do you need a ride home?"

Kai seemed to pause at that. It wasn't the good kind of pause, or at least it wasn't to Ichikaen's mind. After a second or two however Kai simply offered a polite shake of the head. "I-I shouldn't. I don't live too far away, and I don't want to be a bother. And I don't know how my mother would...umm..."

Ich let a single chuckle escape him at that. Though Kai suddenly seemed shy about expressing what exactly what his new friend meant, Ichi could guess. "Not a fan of bikes? Its fine. It was nice meeting you, Kai. Hopefully we'll meet again."

The red headed Asian extended his hand to Kai as the younger teen clambered to his feet. Kai looked down at the hand, then grabbed his hand with both hands and shook Ichi's hand. It felt smaller than Ichi's, and very smooth, to Ichi's surprise. "We'll have to do this again! I had a really good time, Ichi." With that, Kai turned and started for the gate to the park. As he neared the entrance, flanked on either side by twin lampposts, Kai stopped, turned and waved. Ichi waved back with a calm smile, before Kai vanished around the brick fence.

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Come Monday morning, Kai was in a hurry to get out early enough to get to school in time for his meeting with the principal. He had told his mother about the meeting over the weekend, but she still looked surprised when he stumbled down the stairs still pulling on his shoes. "Gotta go, mom, gonna be late, love you!" he rattled out in broken Japanese, only stopping long enough to down a glass of juice and grab a couple slices of toast before heading for the front door. By the time he got there, he had one slice gone and threw on his coat before following it with his bag, then was out the door, second piece hanging from his mouth to free his hands.

He dashed into the school yard with eight minutes to spare, slowing down now to cool down from the long run. He was down to five by the time he got to his office, but he'd tidied his hair, wiped his face and caught his breath. Feeling presentable, he opened the door and stepped in, waving to Mr. Leuger. "Good morning, Mr. Leuger. I spoke with you after classes Friday about a meeting with the Principal?"

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

The old secretary with the deformed face glanced up as Kai entered. Facing him straight on, it was hard not to stare at his marred face, divided as it was from the other side by his long and hooked nose. For the briefest moment, it gave him a sinister appearance. Then, he smiled. The potential machinations of one's imagination faded, replaced by the earnest and easy grin of a man who was filled with contentment and gladness, and only wished to spread it to others. "Ah, Kairi Aoki correct? A pleasure to see you again. Mister Williams has just arrived. Please, head on in."

The secretary pressed a button, and a bell chime rang out through the office. The door on the wall to Kai's left swung open, to reveal a well furnished office. The walls were covered with planks of maple wood, rising to cream-colored plaster at about shoulder height. Along the walls there were a few different items. A record player, with a label propped against it. The surface read 'Space Truckin, Deep Purple.' Nearby on a long side table was a radio. Or at least what was supposed to be a radio. It certainly didn't look like one he would find in stores. By the looks of it, someone had assembled it on their own. Possibly a side project, or a gift from a student? To the right across from the window was a trophy case, bedecked with certificates, academic awards, cutouts and trophies speaking to the school's success. Overhead and mounted on the wall was the head of a large buck, an impressive set of horns rising to the ceiling. On the floor there was a bear rug, with the head of the animal propped open in an eternal roar. And on the center of this was a large mahogany desk, its surface set with various tools of a principal's trade. A writing pad and two fine pens. A cigar box and a computer propped to one side. Seated at the desk was a tall Caucasian man with a sharp chin, boyish locks of hair, and rough cheeks that looked like they had taken their fair share of punches and kisses alike over the years. His coat was hung over the back of the chair, dangling precariously over the back of the seat. With the sleeves of his dress shirt rolled up, he tapped at the computer to the side.

"Just leave the coffee on the davenport, Amanda. No time for a back massage--I'm expecting a student in a few minutes."
Last edited by Madrigal on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Moments like this really reminded Kai that this was a high class private school. Richness pervaded the room in ways he'd only ever seen in the movies, and yet in so many ways, it was such a typical principal's office. What must this man's actual house look like? The thought filled his mind with wonder like that of a fairy tale as he stepped in.

"Oh, sorry," Kai apologized at the principal's ... greeting. "I didn't bring any coffee, and I'm not very good at massages. Though I wouldn't mind a cup when it arrives if that was permitted."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:34 am

The principal's eyes rose at Kai's voice, his expression betraying only stunned surprise at first. Quickly though he let out a laugh. A hearty basso laugh that was surprisingly strong and reassuring. He stood, the tie flowing beneath him as he extended his hand, offering his hand to Kai. He spoke, before returning to his seat.

"Ah, yes--sorry about that. Kai Aoki, right?"

He flashed a smile to Kai, though the look shifted as the door opened behind Kai. Were Kai to turn and look, he would see a Latina woman in a teal uniform. A maid's outfit, almost, though far from the outfits a connoisseur of anime would expect. She was carrying a tray in her hands which her attention was fixed on, though she only noticed the two as she passed the threshold. A quick gesture from the Principal followed, and she nodded, disappearing out the door once more. The Principal merely smiled, folding his fingers in front of him.

"So then, what can I do for you?"

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Everything about the man and the room that was his domain here on school grounds suggested an extremely western man, and so Kai wasn't surprised at the handshake, and returned it readily.

But then who must have been Amanda came in, and Kai's brain froze. A maid. A real, honest to goodness, actual maid. And she worked for the principal. Was she his maid at home? If so, how wealthy was he to have that? And how accustomed to that luxury was he that he extended her service time to his school office? If not his, did the school provide the maid service? He doubted that, he hadn't seen them anywhere else on school grounds, but if this was the normal lifestyles of the upper echelons of the school administration, just how far out of his depth was he, a little single-parent street urchin from Okinawa?

And then the door shut and the sound snapped him back to reality and to the principal smiling before him.

"Oh, uh, right," he stumbled as his mind got back to the topic at hand. "My homeroom teacher, Uzuk-sensei, has mistakenly come under the assumption that I am wearing the wrong uniform. He threatened to speak to you and that I would face punishment if I didn't switch to the girls' uniform, and he doesn't let me tell him I'm a guy."

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 pm

No sooner had Kai started his first sentence that the face of the principal seemed to fall. Fading from polite paternalism to immediate disinterest. It was notable in his posture too. His shoulders slumped, and raised his arm to hold his head aloft. The fingers of his other hand flicked, slowly pulling itself to the computer to one side before he tapped a few words into it. It was a moment or two before the screen changed. Principal Williams took a moment to look over the page before he turned back to Kai. Forcing a smile on his face he turned his full attention back to Kai.

"I apologize about that. Uzuk is...an exceptional teacher, but he's very stubborn and used to doing things a certain way. I'll talk to him later this morning. And give him a stern talking to."

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 am

"Oh! Kai was surprised with the ease with which that seemed to resolve, and despite the principal's attitude shift, too. Maybe he had these types of issues with Professor Uzuk a lot?

"Well, um, that's the only problem I had. So I can head on to class with the issue resolved, then? Do I need a slip or something showing I spoke with you if classes start before you speak with him?"