We have a new Global Moderator! Congratulations Georgeanna!

It's new banner time and we need your help to choose one! Please head over to the poll and vote for your favourite.

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up!

Project: Havoc IC (M)

The realms where science and sorcery tend to exist in equal focus. This may also includes settings with only a few major differences from our world such as the existence of the supernatural. Examples: The Marvel Universe, Vampire the Masquerade, Supernatural (Series)

Moderators: Darkblade, Georgeanna

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Project: Havoc IC (M)

Post by Lumeus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 pm

PROLOGUE 10:08

The alarms sounded in high-pitched, traitorous screams, the emergency flood lights bathed everything in a rosie red hue, a chorus of steel-toed combat boots clopping rapidly across linoleum floors echoed from somewhere up above, and the security cameras all tracked the same thing; the nine remaining subjects sprinting at top speed down the stairwell past level 7 towards level 8.

“Where are we going?! They sealed off the elevator!” Sam yelled over the screeching alarm.

“They have a second elevator. I found it this morning,” 88 yelled back.

“And that one goes to the surface?”

“I… I don’t know. I know it goes at least as high as level 3, and that’s better than nothing.”

“How do you know they haven’t already sealed that one off too?!”

“I don’t! But we have to at least try!”

Of all his fellow subjects, 88 knew Sam the best. They trained together, studied together, occasionally got in trouble together, and Sam probably knew 88 better than he knew himself. It had been Sam that whispered the idea of escape in 88’s ear all those months ago. It was Sam that had suggested 88 begin mapping the Facility during his training. And it was Sam that had insisted 88 call her Sam instead of 62.

---

“We should get to pick our own names," Sam explained. "So I’m Sam, and you're Ray.”

“You just said we get to pick our own names. Why do I have to be Ray?” 88 argued.

“For the same reason you’re calling me Sam instead of Samarium. It doesn’t take as long to say.”

“No, I mean why don’t I get to choose… wait, you named me after the eighty-eighth element?”

Sam nodded like her reasoning was obvious. “It was that or the eighty-eighth bone in the body, but I figured Radium was better than Ulna.”

88 frowned. Radium was better than Ulna, but it still didn't sound right. “I think I'll stick with eighty-eight.”

Sam made a face.

88 met Sam's eyes to let her know he was serious. "Now it's the name I've given myself. I've taken it from them and made it my own."

Sam eyed him wearily for a moment, like she wasn't wholly happy with it, but then a wicked grin spread across her face. "You know that means I'm calling you Lem, right?"

For a second 88 was even more confused than before when she'd called him Ray, but then it dawned on him; Lemniscate was the algebraic term for an infinity symbol, or the figure eight. 88 rolled his eyes at her. Her grin widened. This was punishment for refusing the name she had picked out for him. And this was probably just the beginning of her retribution. If 88 knew Sam, and he did, it wouldn't be long before "Lem" evolved into something worse, like-

---

“Lemon!”

88 snapped back from his thoughts with a cringe. “What?!”

“Where’s the elevator?!” 88 could hear the worry in her voice. Where was the trust?

The nine of them stood in the middle of the mess hall on level 8 listening to the sound of the tactically armed handlers closing in on them. 88 had thought if he just got their collars off they would be able to easily fight their way out. The twenty of them combined should have been able to take down the handlers with ease, and the scientists were even less of a threat, but he was wrong. Everything had gone wrong.

88 pointed at the long mirror that ran the length of the wall opposite the rations line and kitchen. He had looked at himself in that mirror every day for as long as he could remember with no idea about the truth behind it. Literally. 88 reached out with his mind, like a dolphin using echo location. The glass was reinforced, but it still had

It took barely any force at all for the glass surface to crack and fracture in a spiderweb pattern before exploding into hundreds of shards revealing the observation room beyond. The small room had several monitors and console panels with numerous dials and glowing buttons, but was empty of personnel.

“Through there,” 88 smirked, but he was denied the look of shock from Sam he had been expecting. She was already sprinting towards the newly made exit with the others close behind her, and it was right in that instant that 88 realized who the leader of the group was.

Up to this point 88 had been assuming that he was the leader. He had been the one to break out of the training room, freed the other subjects from the lab, and had literally been leading everyone through the Facility, but as he watched Sam vault through the newly made window where the mirror used to be and then turn back to make sure everyone else made it through, 88 just knew; Sam was the leader, and she always had been.

Sam had a way of talking to people that made them feel important, like they were the only person in the room worth talking to. Several of the subjects were loners, but Sam didn’t care, she would talk to them like a best friend, and 88 didn’t know how, but she could do it without making her other friends feel jealous. She was the only subject 88 had ever seen make a handler laugh, and that handler, who a week before had almost beaten 69 to death, was called in to see Dr. Mathews, and never came back.

All the subjects knew that they could talk to Sam, and she would just listen without judging. Sometimes she would offer advice, or words of comfort, other times she would just stay silent and cry with them. Sam was really good about knowing what people needed to feel better, and the scientists allowed her to do it because they discovered that helping others was actually improving her own abilities. After all, Sam was an amokinetic.

88 was the last one to jump through the window and Sam was waiting for him with a smile. 88 turned and ran after the other subjects down the hallway he knew would lead to the hidden elevator, Sam following right behind him.

A single, deafening gun shot rang out across the mess hall...

4 hours earlier…

“How far did subject 88 progress today?”

“Sir, subject 88 ceased his exploration of level three and instead followed the elevator shaft down to level eight, and then to level nine. Sir, he located the personnel lift and found that it continues down.”

“How much of level 10 did he discover?”

“None, Sir. He only discovered it is there, but we modified the training room’s settings and broke his concentration.”

“How incompetent of you. Begin the preparations for the Havoc Protocol.”

“Sir? We can handle subject 88, and the General won’t be here until next week, not to mention we still…”

“I am fully aware of the situation. Final adjustments were completed last night.”

“But, Sir, both Sigma and Zeta were failures. Are you certain…”

“Begin the preparations, doctor.”

“Yes, Sir.”

88’s head was pounding something fierce, and sweat poured down the sides of his face as he struggled and gasped for air. They had thinned the oxygen in the room, and tripled the magnetic pull of the floor making it near impossible to draw a full breath. The sudden deprivation of oxygen had forced his body to prioritize blood flow, and considering he was on the fifth set of pressing 365 pounds, which now felt like 1,095 pounds, 88 very abruptly became light headed. This was especially unfortunate because in order to prevent the bar from crushing his chest or throat he had to use his ability to lift the extra 700 pounds, and his ability required mental concentration from a brain that was no longer receiving adequately oxygenated blood.

The hardest part was pretending it was hard.

It couldn’t have been a coincidence. He had found something. Something they didn’t want him to find, but it also meant that they knew he had been mapping out the Facility, and they let him because the exercise was expanding his abilities, and there was a lot they would let a subject get away with if it meant more power, but it seemed 88 had found the extent of their tolerance for his probing.

To make it convincing 88 pressed the maximum amount of weight he could physically, which caused his face to turn red and blurred his vision for a moment until he pressed the bar back up onto the rack. 88 let out what little breath he had been holding and tried to suck in more air, but they hadn’t righted the oxygen levels and 88 found himself gasping as his vision began to tunnel.

“That is all for this morning 88,” Dr. Mathews' voice said over the intercom, and suddenly 88 could breathe properly again. He spent a moment controlling his breathing and clearing the lightness from his head before leaving the training room. In the prep room 88 quickly showered and put on a clean set of clothes while thinking about all the things he needed to tell Sam during morning rations. If the Facility knew about his mapping it wasn’t a far leap for them to guess what he was planning to do with that knowledge. 88 and Sam had some important decisions to make, and probably not a lot of time to make them.

Georgeanna
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Thief

Re: Project: Havoc IC (M)

Post by Georgeanna » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:24 am

It wasn’t quite six in the morning, 51 just knew it.

Tick…tick…tick…tick…tick…tick…tick…

Was the ticking in her head, a ghostly figment of her imagination? Or was it real? 51 didn’t know, and thrived in the ambiguity. She had been awake for hours, trying to figure out whether the ticking was a clock or an internal bomb ready to explode. Staying awake during sleeping hours wasn’t encouraged unless it was for testing, at least she wouldn’t assume so, but 51 figured the worst that could happen is that they would drug her. That didn’t sound so bad compared to the dreamless void she entered every night.

It was funny, really, the way they pushed 51 to invade other people’s dreams but not allow her to have her own. Her mind didn’t feel like her own; it never had. Some of the subjects, had their bodies pushed to the absolute brink of destruction, but 51? She had already been pushed over the mental edge a long time ago. At least some of the other still had their minds, though 51 expected that the Handlers would figure out a way to harness theirs soon enough. How would she even know? Would she look at one of the others and they would no longer see her? Had it already happened? Her brain started to spin, and 51 squeezed her eyes closed in anguish. Hers was an imagination that never stopped, and a voice that rarely talked.

Tick…tick…tick…tick….tick…tick…tick…tick…

That infernal ticking! Someone make it stop! Someone. Anybody at all. Her pleas echoed in the cavern of her own mind, all the while she squirmed in her cot. Nobody heard this then. It wasn’t real; there was no way they could miss a noise so loud and altogether consuming. Abruptly it stopped, the silence yawning in front of her and the world distorting for a horrifying moment. What was worse? The ticking or the silence? 51 snapped her eyes open and looked around manically, digging her hands into the mattress below her. Her fingers slipped into the worn holes perfectly; this wasn’t the first time. This was funny, 51 decided. This was a test. It had to be. She was fine. She had had a moment during one of her exercises, but she was fine. Her mind was hers. Her mind was hers. Her mind was hers. Her mind was. Her mind. Her.

It was now six, a span of moments lasting an eternity before 51 felt the change. Taking a shuddering breath, she pushed herself up and swung her legs off of the bed. Her feet padded on the cool floor towards the restrooms, barefooted as was her custom. The Handlers gave up making her wear shoes a long time ago. She nipped that nasty idea out of their minds quickly. She’d just play dead whenever they tried to put shoes on her. She would take the beating, the drug, the torture, but she didn’t respond until they took them off. It was one minor success in a string of other failures.

Dreams always had a way of coming to 51, despite not having them at night. They liked to tread in lightly, changing 51’s reality piece by piece. Most of the time, the hallucinations were minor: the water coming from the shower was green instead of clear, her spoon was wrapped in rubber bands, and her reflection would look like someone else. It happened all the time, alone and while in the group. At first, she had thought it was a test, but when she saw a bird flitting about in the classroom, she knew that it wasn’t. Birds weren’t allowed here, she didn’t think, and even if they were, the Handlers would be hard-pressed to find one that sang like this one did. He was a cute little yellow thing, no bigger than a pocket. 51 decided that Gerald would be her little secret, and sometimes he still visited her, singing her songs that she had never heard before. It felt nice to have something to herself, even if it wasn’t real.

She inclined her head in greeting to Gerald who was standing on top of one of the sinks, ruffling his feathers. 51 approached him and put her hands out, into which he hopped with minimal effort. No air moved and her hands felt nothing resting in their embrace, but her eyes told her all the same that he existed in her mind, at the very least. Gerald tweeted a solemn note before vanishing. Looking up into the mirror, 51 saw her own lips pursed, as if she had been the one to whistle. Maybe she was. The world spun for a moment, her head pounding. 51 jumped up onto the sink where Gerald had sat, she was light enough. Crossing her legs and closing her eyes, she tried to focus on her breathing. Her mind was hers. Her mind was hers. Her mind was hers. Her mind was anything but hers.
Last edited by Georgeanna on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

just_alex
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Adventurer

Post by just_alex » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 am

Flashes of the dark waters still echoed through her mind as 72 cleared her throat. She could feel the burning in her sinuses and nose just thinking about it. She was still attempting to forget about it, not let it get to her. Her dark brown hair was wet from the shower she took just before making her way to the mess hall, the excess water dampening her shirt. She was slowly eating her meal, the mess hall still empty since her early morning session ended early.

72 grimaced at the memory of the look of disappointment on their faces. The trial that they had made her go through for the past two years was still a failure. 72 was beginning to fear that if she did not make progress quickly, they would go to even more extreme measures to get the results they wanted.

For years they had trained her well and she had advanced quickly with her abilities. In simpler terms, they were pleased. Very pleased. But then they wanted her to try something different. They even explained how it might not even work. But they pushed her anyway. This was the first experiment that she ever feared. It was the first that made her want to stay in bed in the morning and not wake up.

They figured out her fears quickly and used that to push her further. Now, it was the first and last thing that she did every day. And every day it was the same thing. 72 shook her head slightly, as if trying to shake the thoughts away that would make this day gloomy. That was the last thing she needed right now.

Her eye lids were heavy with sleep, and 72 wanted nothing more than to rest at that exact moment. But she knew better than to fall asleep during hours that were not meant for rest. So she continued to eat her food, the same tasteless substance that they served every morning for her whole life. Eventually the mess hall would fill with the rest of the subjects and the day would go on. By then she would have forgotten the deep dark waters.
What if the stars started disappearing
And all that was left was nothing
What if we covered our eyes, stopped listening
And we missed everything

TinyTiger28
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Werebeast

Post by TinyTiger28 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 am

A small sixteen year old girl sat on her cot. Not wanting to sleep. Not wanting to be awake. She stiffled a yawn, it was boring at this time of night, or perhaps morning. She didn’t know, nor did she care. She just wanted to stop thinking. Stop worrying. Not to be aware of all the things she had done. The terrible things she had done.

No. She chided herself mentally. Don’t even think about it. But she couldn’t stop the thoughts flowling into her mind, passing throuh her mental barrier like water flowing through her hands. You killed him. I didn’t want to. Your a murderer. He was a bad man. Your a bad person. I didn’t mean to. Her thoughts ricocheted back and forth acrossher mind, like a game of tennis. A game she had watched many times before. A game she had been trying to win for years now. Instead of fighting this tirind game, she decided to ignore it. She filled her head with the sound of crackling flames. I am fire. I can not be stopped. I will burn down anything in my way. And so this is what she did. She burnt away the old, torturous tennis game.

She sat for a long time afterwards, or at least it felt long, filling her head with the cracklin of flames. I am fire. I can not be stopped. This thought chain continued for quite some time, until another thought leaked in. A memory? Or perhaps a dream? She couldn’t dream though. It wasn’t permitted by the wretched people who ran this facility.

She was in a classroom. A teacher stood at the front of it, teaching the subjects how to write their name. “Okay class, try writing your name on the paper in front of you. If you need help raise your hand.” So the girl did as she was told. She wrote, in bright red crayon, Bo. Of course she was told off for this, since her name was most certainly not Bo. It was 80, but she didn’t know that, not back then. She still remembered her reply to the teacher when she told her her real name, “But those are numbers, aren’t they?” three year old her asked with a childish lisp. “And you have letters in your name. Why don’t we have letters in are name? Were we bad?” Bo didn’t remember what her teacher said in reply to this, but apparently three year old her didn’t care. She wanted letters in her name, and what she wanted she got. From then on she was Bo.

Bo smiled at the memory. One she was grateful for now. I am not a number. I am a human being. I am Bo. And with this thought Bo lay her head down on the stiff pillow on her cot, knowing she would be woken in hours, if not minutes, but at the time she was okay with this. For now she would slip into the dreamless bliss of sleep.
Last edited by TinyTiger28 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nubite
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Post by nubite » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 pm

The dreamless void 95 had always known as 'sleep' fell away at about 0550, minutes before the handlers would come wake them up. 95 didn't know why she woke before the alarm; she had done so for so long now. Maybe it was the routine so finely etched in her muscles. Maybe it was what was in the chemicals and 'food' they made her eat. Knowing she wouldn't be able to fall asleep in the amount of time she had, 95 sat up in bed and looked around. Her brothers and sisters were mostly there, some sleeping more soundly than others. She knew even without seeing any faces that at least 72 was missing, likely in some test to try and amplify her ability. This pre-day quiet was almost heavenly for 95; no scientists, no tests. She only missed the companionship of her siblings. Not wanting to waste her available time, 95 quietly slid out of bed and practiced her wing chun form slowly and deliberately.

By the time the handlers had entered the sleeping quarters to wake everyone up, 95 was stretched and ready for the day. As was usual, everyone was herded to the communal shower area where they stripped and removed their collars before showering. 95 was familiar with the difference between boys and girls, but she was uninterested in what that difference meant. That was probably something the scientists had done as well. After another uneventful shower, everyone redressed and refitted their collars. 95 went barefoot, as she usually did. She wasn't sure if it was entirely her idea to adopt the style or if it came from 51; either way 95 enjoyed it and reveled in the shared rebellion. 95 did miss being able to use her ability to float along the floor; it was something she enjoyed immensely.

After everyone was ready, they were led to the dining area and sat in their usual, designated, spots. Everyone was fed what could only generously be called 'food.' The 'food' was slightly different for each of her siblings, likely individual diets imposed upon each subject to increase their abilities. Nothing mattered to the scientists except improving the subjects' abilities. 95 ate the 'food' put before her, but she didn't particularly enjoy it. As she ate, she looked about at her brothers and sisters. 62, who insisted everyone call her Sam, and 88 were talking quietly, their heads close together. That usually meant trouble; and recycling. As 95 waited for breakfast to end or someone to speak, she knew that this day would be exciting.

Glassdoor
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Necromancer

Post by Glassdoor » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 pm

101 stretched, yawning loudly. The sound of alarm was piercing his skull, robbing him of the wonderful numbness he felt right after waking up. He looked at the white ceiling for few seconds, embracing the sound and imagining its waves going through his body, awakening every single cell in his body. He started wondering if the sound guy could use echolocation. Yes. Sound guy. Not some creepy number they decided to give to them instead of their names. Instead of 80, there was Fire Kid, 51 was the Sleepy Head, 88 the Pusher, 95- Windy, and so on, and so on... That was his inside rebellion. Whenever he tried to get it to the outside of his mind, he would wake up Changed. He didn't like Changes, he's seen what too many of them did to the others. So he kept the descriptive names hidden, naming others by their numbers aloud. Even Sam. Especially Sam. He was surprised she wasn't Changed yet for that.

When a Handler walked up to his bed, 101 realised he's spent 5 minutes in bed, contemplating. For some reason his Handler didn't tolerate even the slightest abberations from the schedule. He jumped out of his bed, muttering 'sorry' loud enough for the man to hear and sprinted off towards the showers and, together with everyone else, to the Diner. 101 looked at the shapeless mass on his place (appetising as always) and started searching for someone to sit near. Someone to talk to, possibly annoy. Most probably annoy. 101 grinned widely- it seemed there was a free seat near Hydrant (72). "How do you enjoy our delicious food, 72?" He asked, sitting down next to her.
Last edited by Glassdoor on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

just_alex
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by just_alex » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 am

It was becoming more and more hard to swallow the food, but 72 was extraordinary when it came to hiding her inner feelings. So she grinned softly while she continued to eat spoonful after spoonful in a neat and consecutive manner. It was when 101 sat next to her did she finally put the spoon down.

"As best as I can," She replied, shrugging softly as her brows pinched subtly together at the bitter aftertaste of the food. How could she possibly live with these meals? But of course, the question was pushed aside. She had been eating the same thing her entire life and tomorrow it would simply continue on.

"How did you sleep?" She asked 101 while she forced herself to pick the spoon back up and finish her breakfast. She knew her Handler would most likely scold her, and probably discipline her, if she did not obtain her daily nutrients that her body needed.
And we missed everything

TinyTiger28
Scrub
Scrub

Post by TinyTiger28 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:08 am

Bo yawned, stretching, reveiwing what she had done that day in her head, something she did every mealtime. She never quite knew why, it’s just something she had done for as long as she could remember.

She had woken up on time, something she had always managed to do, despite how late she usually got to sleep. Then, dragging her feet and blinking the sleep out of her eyes, she trudged to the showers. Yawning, Bo stepped into the shower. Groggily she groped for the handle on the shower, and almost turned it on, before realizing she hadn’t gotten undressed yet. This is gonna be one of those days, isn’t it. She thought glummly, then proceeded to properly shower.

As the water erupted from the showerhead Bo smiled. Whoever invented the shower was a genius. she thought to herself. For a moment she stood, feeling the icy cold water droplets slide down her back as they slowly heated up. In a few more moments the water was steaming. Bo stretched, Now this, she thought, is how you start the day. The water glanced off her skin, pooling at the bottom of her feet. She stood as all the dust and grime was rinsed away, and with it, she felt, some of her worry.

Of course she had to stop showering all too soon to eat, and here she was now, glumly stabbing at the revolting trash they fed the subjects and jokingly called food. She sat at a table in the corner, not quite wanting to talk at the moment. As she picked at her food some thoughts slipped past her mental barrier, as they always did. Terrible. Evil. Despicable. The voices tried every name in the book. Bo grumbled quietly, she was not dealing with this today. She tilted her head, thinking silently to herself, Shut up. Surprisingly enough that worked and she managed to shut up her own thoughts about herself. Of course it wouldn’t work for long. Nothing did.

Shaking her head, as if trying to shake off the depressing thoughts, Bo frowned. Would be nice right about now to be talking to someone. She thought to herself, Great job there Miss “I don’t want to talk to anyone today” She, again, ignored her own thoughts.

Realizing that she was scowling, she attempted a more friendly smile, hoping no one noticed that she was being weaird and having a silent conversation with herself. Perfectly normal thing to worry about. Not that any of this is normal... she thought silently. At least, I don’t think it is Bo thought silently to herself. What if this is normal for people? She had always wondered what it was like outside of the facility. When she was little she didn’t even believe that there was a world outside of it, of course she grew out of that phase fast. Another mystery for another day.

Georgeanna
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:26 am

Sounds rotated and twisted around 51 as she sat there perched on the sink. The showers pitter-pattered in the room next to the restrooms, and despite vaguely wanting to feel the water run down her arms, she continued to sit. Alarm bells went off in her head. This wasn’t allowed. She was to follow the schedule with strict adherence and attention to detail. No questions were allowed, and no rebellion would be tolerated.

They can all just deal with it, her mind screamed. It hollered for freedom, for some type of release. Nearly everyone was at breakfast, and she would be missed if she didn’t hurry along. Stick to your guns. 51 savored the feeling that stirred in her belly. It was a feeling she hadn’t experienced in a while. Months, years, maybe even centuries ago, she was like this all the time. Never listening to rules, leading the older kids who would listen into little exploits around the compound, always saying exactly what was on her mind, laughing easily, and cursing the Handlers with every spare breath. She was chaotic, but never in an intimidating way. All of a sudden though, something changed. It was overnight. One day she was plotting how to cover the dining area in toilet paper, and the next she had no desire to fight. The memory brought a small smile to her lips. She used to be wild, and in that feeling, she was free. You can be that way again, her mind whispered. The thought terrified her though. What if she were to lose her spark again because she stepped too far? 51 had a suspicion that some type of foul play was to blame for her conformity and her blood boiled upon realizing how timid she had become. The concept of losing this tingle in her limbs nearly made her cry out. No. She would play along but keep the adrenaline in her veins pumping.

Hopping down, she splashed herself with water and drenched her hair, to make it appear as if she had showered. The Handlers would know the difference, but hopefully, no one else would. With dripping ringlets hanging askew around her face, she changed into new clothes and padded to the dining hall. She carefully arranged her features into one of placid calm, her mouth tilting up into the smallest of smiles. Despite her inner chaos, the sight of her peers made her feel some relief. She wasn’t quite as alone as she felt. With the older ones, she felt a kinship, and she felt responsible for the younger ones. They were a sort of family; at least they were in her mind.

“Morning,” she said quietly to them all, taking a seat next to Bo. Resting her head on her hand, 51 refused to eat at the moment. The food would be there in a few minutes. For now, she was just content to live in her mind and watch over the others.

TinyTiger28
Scrub
Scrub

Post by TinyTiger28 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:11 am

“Mornin!” Bo replied cheerfully. Was that too cheerful? Do i sound creepy? She immiediately replied to herself, in her head of course. For Pete’s sake! You’ve known these people for years! If they think your weird they’re just gonna have to deal with it!

Bo sat for a moment, frowning slightly at her thoughts, and then broke the awkward silence that she had probably imagined completely by saying, “Oh, and by the way, be careful in be careful in the training room later, I’m planning something.” She said, smirking slightly.

Now which prank to use... maybe invisible death maze? Nah, I used that one last week. Could use the cheescake one.. eh, still working out that one. Exploding pear could work though.. yeah, explodin pear with totally work. Bo smirked, now she just needed a pear.. or make that fifty pears. Peice of cake. She thought to herself.

Giving herself a mental note to sneak into the kitchens before they went to training, Bo reuterned her thoughts to the conversation at hand.
~TinyTiger28

Kookaburra
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kookaburra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am

He could make the clouds seem sullen, the wind seem tense, the leaves feel nervous. The world felt out of his own personal control, but the sky felt like crying at his name. Why was I? Was I why? I was why the world looked so… Grey? Duh. Grey was the colour of love, after all.

One, two, three - you’ve found a conductor of pathetic fallacy.
One, three, five - together, I am yours and you are mine.
Two, four, six - I… Uhm… Am too tired to finish this stanza. Will this even fit my rhythm?

Hurt was a way to soothe the soul. Not just a mere handicap, but a device of control, a way to soothe and mellow any false thoughts or woes, a way to explain in a roundabout way that everything would be okay because pain was there whenever you just needed to take a break from an excitable day and just relax… Hurt was the best way for the Facility to express to him their concern. Their love.

Love made his heart achy. It was a beautiful muse that made music to his ringing ears. Love was the sort of drug that he could never get enough of, because for someone to love you meant that they cared about you enough to shape you into the best version of yourself that you could be. Love got him a powerful mind, a talented set of ten digits, a pretty guitar, and a set of compliments - the list compliments he was told were always the same, but clearly, that was because they were the best compliments in all of the english language, right? What more could a teenage boy want in life?

Sitting upright on his mattress, sliding on his clothes, 135 tapped a haphazard rhythm against the floor with his feet. He had been awake for at around two hours before morning call. Lingering around the sleeping quarters, love kept his mind awake today. He let the shower water spill from his mop of hair and onto his shirt, simulating the feeling of standing in the rain. That was his favourite thing to do when it rained. It was nice to allow the earth to chill your spine and let it know that it had the ability to wash over you and with it, your fears of ever finding purpose. Because this was your purpose as a human, you existed to let the earth love you. Right?

Yes. He shuffled over to the serving counter, collected his grub, and plonked down in an empty seat closest to the counter so he could observe the others. He was aware not all of them particularly favoured this ‘love’ the Facility expressed in various ways, and to that he was unsure of what to say. All he knew was that he too liked this place, liked this food, and enjoyed the company of the other members just the same. Bo was straight to the point with similarly expressing her love this morning. Quietly content, 135 nodded his usual greeting to everyone and took another bite out of his perfectly cooked toast - as perfectly slightly stale and flattened as he was used to liking it.

Eri
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Vampire

Post by Eri » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Ti was always early.

Not because she found particular fascination in stale bread, water and vegetables, but because the few moments of silence were somewhat soothing. She exercised every day from 4:30 to 5, showered and dressed, and made her way down to the mess hall. Today was no different. Mess hall – the place was anything but. As clinical as any other room in the facility, it served no purpose other than a communal watering hole – being with the others strengthens you, they said. We want you to enhance your communication with the other subjects.

—How? She’d asked, dark-eyed and almost sheer, beneath harsh lights.

—General inquiry and response, they replied, pressing buttons on a handheld screen. The glare of the lights shadowed their eyes. —Casual observances. Information-sharing.

—Information?

—Any knowledge you may have gathered about shared activities. Training. Sleep. Food.

Food.

There wasn’t much to say. Perhaps: Well, here’s another great day of shitty food. Bless the chefs, may they all choke in their sleep.

The members began to trickle in. Maybe she would attempt a smile.

Glassdoor
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Glassdoor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

just_alex wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 am
"How did you sleep?" She asked 101 while she forced herself to pick the spoon back up and finish her breakfast. She knew her Handler would most likely scold her, and probably discipline her, if she did not obtain her daily nutrients that her body needed.
"Ah, you know, the usual way. Thinking happy thoughts and not letting those pesky nightmares get ahold of you." 101 grinned, poking the "breakfast" with his spoon. Did the dish move on its own or was it just his imagination? 101 looked at his plate intently, trying to notice even the slightest movement. None appeared. He took a spoonfull of the meal and swallowed it quickly. "Sometimes I think they'd execute the chefs if they added at least a bit of flavour to this protein mass. But enough about our cuisine. You noticed our two lovebirds over there, right?" 101 pointed at the direction of 88 and 62. "You think whatever they're planning will earn them a Reset? Because my money's on 'most definitelly'." 101 swallowed another spoonfull and looked at 72, trying to force his pupils to shrink and expand. He managed to do that during one of his training sessions and was trying to repeat that ever since, curious of other's reactions to it.

kimber_mcg
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Rogue

Post by kimber_mcg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 am

Nothingness. A darkness more pure than any he had ever manipulated or created within simulation and trial. It was then that he was flooded with emotion, when he could not control the color that is sleep. He was consumed by it every night, as per the regulations and tight schedule that the subjects followed diligently. 99 was smart enough to know that sleep was necessary for a human to function and that is why he endured the hardships of this action; he felt as if those moments, when paralyzed by slumber, there was no controlling anything. No stopping the emotions or thoughts, no vivid colors, no action, no light: just obsidian reticence.

When the dormancy was lifted by the Handlers, 99 didn't know whether to be elated or to be upset. Being awake meant some sort of socialization but it also meant that he had some control over his own thoughts. There was no drifting in consciousness; he was set in his way. Stone cold disposition with a slight attitude, great for making friends.

He lifted his legs over the side of the bed and stood up tall, back straight and eyes forward, unwavering from the direction of the monotone bathrooms. 99 continued his usual routine: off with the clothes, then his collar. Whenever his restraints were lifted, he felt as if he could rule the world, create darkness and never let the light back in. These kinds of things were what kept him from being friendly, but he didn't mind too much. He gripped the sides of his shower stall and tried to shake the darkness from his head, sending water quite literally everywhere. Today seemed unlike the others for some reasons. He felt harsher stares from the Handlers in the wash room, boring holes through his back and straight into what would have been his soul if they hadn't have taken that away from him as he matured.

A quick towel dry and his hair was how he wanted it, clothes on, slightly skewed as to portray that he didn't care, and then rushed off to breakfast. There were few things in the Facility that 99 actually enjoyed, and to everyone's surprise, the food here was not one of them. It would seem like after years and years of being in the same place, one would have gotten used to the food and would almost approach it with pleasure. 99 didn't feel compelled to like anything or anyone in the entire building so why would he ever start. As he chewed his food, he was very aware of the other conversations going on around him, picking up tones and pitch changes, different words and phrases, but never engaging in conversation while he inhaled his slop.

99 sat in silence when he was completely done eating, which wasn't strange. It was sad however. As he sits awake, there is silence in his realm, just like there is when he is asleep. Does he ever completely escape It?

just_alex
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by just_alex » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:52 pm

72 grinned slightly at 101's remark about nightmares, but her eyes remained confused. She never had dreams, let alone nightmares. She was always caught of guard whenever someone mentioned these dreams that happened during their sleep. 72 had only had what others would call 'day dreams,' where her mind would escape and she would think of the dark waters. But she tried not to think about that as she returned each greeting as the others made their way over.

She nodded in agreement at his remark of the food before turning the attention to 88 and 62. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Gossip always made her squirmy and it never sat well in her stomach. But if she was honest with herself, she was a bit jealous. It was rare to form a bond as they had in the life they lived in. 72 quickly chastised herself at thinking these things, reminding herself that Sam was a nice girl and never treated her wrongly.

72 quickly glanced up at 101 before looking back down at her food. "What do you suppose they could be planning that would result in them being recycled?" She asked, continuing to eat.
And we missed everything

Glassdoor
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Glassdoor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 pm

"Oh, they could be planning so many things" chuckled 101, trying to sit more comfortably. "Maybe they want to tinker with their collars, so that instead of dampening their powers, they'd enhance them!" At mere mention of collars, 101 started scratching his neck, irritated by the constant itch the thing caused. One could get used to it, but it never went away. Sometimes not even when the collar was removed. "Or organise a hunger strike, demanding better food. Or kill the chefs and prepare the meal themselves. Or try to apply for a handler position. Or murder someone they don't like and try to shift the blame on the researchers. Or..." he chuckled "...try to get out of this place. But I think you'll agree with me, that that is the most idiotic suggestion I've proposed. The previous ones had at least a tiny lil' bit of fraction in succeeding."

While conversating with 72, he watched the rest of the cafeteria with constant interest. 'Looks like the gang's all here' he thought. It surprised him that so many were sitting alone. To him, conversation was one of few things that could bring him out of the stupor of everyday's routine. Maybe he could drag one of those grumps into the talk. But who...
Eri wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 pm
There wasn’t much to say. Perhaps: Well, here’s another great day of shitty food. Bless the chefs, may they all choke in their sleep.

The members began to trickle in. Maybe she would attempt a smile.
101 smiled widely, leaned back in his chair and shouted: "Hey 144, wanna join us? We've just been complimenting our chef's cooking, and seeming how you always seemed to love it, we'd like your opinion on the matter!" He turned to 72 and winked "Ain't that right, conversation partner?"

just_alex
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by just_alex » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:40 am

72 watched 101 talk, her eyes traveling to his neck when he started messing with his color. She was suddenly aware about the device around her neck as well, although she didn't touch it. She found that if it was not messed with, it would soon be forgotten about. 72 hummed in agreement at 101's last remark, crossing her arms and resting her chin on them as she glanced down the table, although her eyes simply skimmed the faces.

72's head rose slightly as 101 called 144 over, a small but welcoming smile appearing on her face. She laughed lightly at 101's remark about the food, rolling her eyes knowing that he was being sarcastic.
I was hoping someone would go next, but I'm going anyway :)
And we missed everything

TinyTiger28
Scrub
Scrub

Post by TinyTiger28 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Bo poked 51 curiously. “Oi, why are you being so quiet?” she asked, sounding slightly annoyed. I hope I’m not being annoying. she thought to herself. She frowned, glaring at her food. Bo took a small nibble of the badly made toast, which was packed with vitamins, not so much flavor. Bo stuck out her toungue, cringing at the bland taste. “Ugh, this tastes like I’m eating soggy cardboard.” She groaned, “Or maybe some sawdust stuck together with water. If only I could toast it a bit with my powers, it would be sooo mich better. I mean, extra crispy is better than soggy.”
~TinyTiger28