Word Hurdles - Deadline: 15th August
The Triathlon - Deadline: 18th August
The Relay - Deadline: 26th August
The Marathon - Deadline: 31st August

IC RPC Olympics - The Sprint! - Round 3 Ends: 20th August, 12 GMT

Event Info and Schedule
The Sign Up Thread
Medal Tables and Leaderboard

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Tactical Doll Tournaments [Open]

The realms with a strong focus on technology. These are the realms of Science Fiction/Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, and their ilk. Examples: Star Trek, Borderlands, Neuromancer.

Moderators: Dionysus [Rick], Hades [Forge]

MD15
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Mage

Tactical Doll Tournaments [Open]

Post by MD15 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:27 am

(Obviously this is heavily inspired by Girls Frontlines but I am not using any of the lore, speaking of lore...)

The year is 2338, technology has boomed as you would expect. From holographic screens to self driving cars, from AIs to androids, there is just about everything you'd expect

The last two however is what sparked a new sport known as Tactical Doll Battles, also known as TDB. The sport is simple, a human is an 'officer' and they use their AI controlled androids known as 'Tactical Dolls' or T-Dolls for short to battle another Officer using various weapons through out history. The professional sport is far more extreme than the recreational sport, the recreational sport only being small portable bots shooting each other with BBs, the professional however uses human sized androids wielding real firearms.

You - for what ever reason - are looking to go professional, saving up money you bought a licence, a warehouse to store the T-Dolls, and enough money to get a T-Doll or two, now you are looking through various T-Doll catalogs to pick your T-Doll of choice

(You can either get two, 2 star T-Dolls from the LMG, Rifle, SMG, Assault Rifle, and Handgun catagories or one 3 star shotgun, LMG, Rifle, SMG, Assault Rifle, or Handgun T-Doll. Why Girls Frontlines only has 3 star shotguns is beyond me)
T-Doll Catalogs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now then, only two more things:

There will be no combat system for this RP as it's mainly a Tactics-Action RP as well as a Slice Of Life RP

Secondly, bio!
Name:
Appearance: (You can use a picture)
Chosen T-Dolls: (Put name and type)
Backstory: (Optional)
Why You Are Going Pro: (Optional)
Other:
Last edited by MD15 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am a person! Yaaaaaaaay~!

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian
Class: Paladin

Re: Tactical Doll Tournaments [Open]

Post by Ninmast » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:36 am

You might want to either allow original creation of dolls or do the catalogs in some way that doesn't require secondary access.

In any case, I'm game.

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:51 am

Hm, not sure how I could, that'd be a lot as there will be a lot of T-Dolls. If you have an idea I am all ears though, I can see how that'd be kinda off putting

Dionysus [Rick]
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Pirate

Post by Dionysus [Rick] » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:24 am

Can you make the catalog view-able? Says I need permission to see them.

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:29 am

Also, can we get more information on the resources the dolls require in the warehouse? How intelligent are they? How much uptime do they have outside of matches? And of the matches themselves, is it 1v1 in an arena BattleBots style, or is it simulated environments like urban and forest, where there's more cover and strategy between groups?

As for ideas, if you mean in terms of originals, they'd have more simplified sheets, and you'd have limits on, say, what weapons they can use, how many, and any other relevant parameters.

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:56 am

Oh... I'm an idiot...

One moment

The only thing they *need* is the tools to do repairs on them selves and a place to power them selves. They are near human in terms of intelligence and emotions but they live for combat none the less. Where it takes place in differs from battle to battle but most fights are 5 to 6 dolls in a squad

You'll see how the weapons work in a moment once I open this up

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:58 am

Alright, you should be able to view them all now, I am sorry about that

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Some more questions. What's their software like? Are there combat protocols preprogrammed in, or do they just have natural affinity and battlefield awareness? Is weapon proficiency programmed? Can they learn and improve above these if they are programs? What are they like physically, in terms of abilities relative to humans?

Also, are these models the only ones available, like some sort of stock-only type of competition? Is there a particular reason why almost all of the weapons are either extremely dated or otherwise subpar compared to available modern weapons? (Nevermind that even modern weapons are two and a half centuries old by this point, I assume that's more of a, "We can't know for sure what weapons would be like by that point.") Is there no model and gear customization? Also, do they enter battle only with their chosen weapon? What about ammunition? A sidearm? Grenades? How salvageable are these dolls after a fight they lost?

Sorry, lots of questions, but as I've been away from my computer for most of the day, I've had a lot of time to think of them.

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:16 pm

"Some more questions. What's their software like? Are there combat protocols preprogrammed in, or do they just have natural affinity and battlefield awareness? Is weapon proficiency programmed? Can they learn and improve above these if they are programs? What are they like physically, in terms of abilities relative to humans?"
They can learn new tactics and non-combat skills, in fact a lot of them yearn to learn other things than combat however their physical strength and leaning towards a specific weapon is hard coded in, so for example AK-47 will always use an AK-47 and be as physically strong as an AK-47. That was programmed in for the sake of the sport. Or more specifically, marketing for the sport.

"Also, are these models the only ones available, like some sort of stock-only type of competition? Is there a particular reason why almost all of the weapons are either extremely dated or otherwise subpar compared to available modern weapons? (Nevermind that even modern weapons are two and a half centuries old by this point, I assume that's more of a, "We can't know for sure what weapons would be like by that point.") Is there no model and gear customization? Also, do they enter battle only with their chosen weapon? What about ammunition? A sidearm? Grenades? How salvageable are these dolls after a fight they lost?"
There are more that'll open up later, you will be able to get attachments and - though this'll cost more - if you like the AI in one of the bots but want to upgrade them to a higher tier you can port their AI over to a new bot and change what is hard coded

The reason why they are using outdated weapons is simply because of marketing once again and because - for the low tiers - it's cheap to produce however the weapons they use are not relics of the ancient past, they are simply recreations. Each bot does have a 'skill' however, those skills being things like grenades, a burst of speed, so on however. Ammunition, grenades, batteries, and repairs are almost always covered by the officials if it's a official tournaments however if you are doing unofficial tournaments/battles typically the loser has to pay

Also don't worry! I love answering questions, helps flesh out the lore~!

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 am

MD15 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:16 pm
They can learn new tactics and non-combat skills, in fact a lot of them yearn to learn other things than combat however their physical strength and leaning towards a specific weapon is hard coded in, so for example AK-47 will always use an AK-47 and be as physically strong as an AK-47. That was programmed in for the sake of the sport. Or more specifically, marketing for the sport.
I'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense, they're as strong as an AK-47? That's not an answer. How tough are they? How strong are they? What are their frames made of? Are they armored, or do they have to wear armor separately? Do they have targeting programs or do they aim like people do? Internal motion detectors for detecting enemy movement a la a HUD map? Can they improve their abilities through practice, or are there hard caps on performance? Also, if they're capable of learning, they're capable of utilizing other weapons, and since an archaic weapon you can build in your own garage today is going to be cheaper than a high-performance sentient military android, unless there's some hard, concrete benefit to shelling out more money for a different model, I don't see why, realistically, lower end ones couldn't be outfitted more dynamically and trained through practice with a more diverse array of weaponry, aside from simply being too preoccupied with preserving the nature of the gacha.
There are more that'll open up later, you will be able to get attachments and - though this'll cost more - if you like the AI in one of the bots but want to upgrade them to a higher tier you can port their AI over to a new bot and change what is hard coded.
Attachments for the weapons or for the dolls? And are all the dolls of a particular class exactly identical? That would fly rather in the face of even modern equivalent technology, where cosmetic features are modular and can be largely swapped out for customer preference at time of purchase, unless you're building one already assembled from a store front or second hand. And again, what's the point to upgrading? What does it offer?
The reason why they are using outdated weapons is simply because of marketing once again and because - for the low tiers - it's cheap to produce however the weapons they use are not relics of the ancient past, they are simply recreations. Each bot does have a 'skill' however, those skills being things like grenades, a burst of speed, so on however. Ammunition, grenades, batteries, and repairs are almost always covered by the officials if it's a official tournaments however if you are doing unofficial tournaments/battles typically the loser has to pay.
I wasn't saying that the weapons were originally built three centuries before the RP, just pointing out that many of the designs date back to WWII. The LMG class in particular suffers from this, but no class comes out unscathed. Better, superior weapons, again, could literally be built in an officer's garage for under two hundred dollars, or even bought off the shelf of a gun store for a fraction of the cost of a new doll. Furthermore, realistically speaking, one does not need a special skill to use grenades in combat. They're simple weapons that are easy to use by deliberate design. Now, something like jump jets for a burst of speed, that'd be different, but more likely, it's a modification to a doll body, possibly plug and play with a software update. But either way, skills are not listed in the catalogs and there is no way to see what specific skills an individual doll may have.
Also don't worry! I love answering questions, helps flesh out the lore~!
Then I hope you don't mind all of the extra questions I just dumped on you! I'm very eager for this and have a lovely character concept in mind, I think, but I need more information on how all of this will work. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may be holding just a little tightly to the gacha game mechanics, which don't really necessarily carry over well to a more realistic combat scenario.

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Sorry, I was away for the fourth

I was using AK was an example, an AK-47 doll(3 Star) will only be ask strong as an AK-47 doll, weak than say a AK 5 doll(4 star). Their strength is built into their frames

Gonna be honest? The reason why I am using the GF pictures and gacha style is because I like the pictures, that's it. I suppose I you can design your own doll if you want but that simply doesn't seem as fun.

They have no hud, that simply would make no sense. Think about it, there would have to be a hud for everywhere in the world

By tier ranking their strength, armor, and aiming will become better, they can become better through training but there is a hard cap to sell more dolls

Attachments are simply a way to keep a specific model of doll usable for long. Upgrading is... Upgrading. A tier four doll will preform better than a tier 3. A MP5 will do better than a M3.

The tier system - in the lore it's self - is kinda meant to be be a climbing thing for professionals then selves. Once you go pro that doesn't mean you have the best stuff, you still gotta climb, a the tier of your dolls tell that, if you are rolling with 2 two stars, no 5 star teamed pro is going to fight you, they see no reason, hell people would look down on them for picking on you. And once again, think about it this way. The company it's self would make more money but selling outdated dolls with outdated weapons that *look* cool because they are all wood and from an ancient era compared to making everything modern. All tier 2 will *kinda* act the same between classes, like I said it's all about tactics. Which one you pick is all about aesthetics. If you take two different tier 2 LMGs, those will be two tier 2 LMGs.

The skills them selves are kinda meant to be a surprise, they do make a difference to your tactics but it's more something you have to work around, after all a tactics RP can't be left too straight forward or there would be nothing to it, right?

And lastly, like I said, the gacha thing is honestly only because I adore the character designs.

(Also, if any of this makes no sense blame drunk me, it's the fourth of july and I am like 4 shots down of Jager)

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:07 am

I know the feeling, that's why I waited until today to answer. Hope your Independence Day was a blast!

Hrmm, perhaps I should pitch you what I'm thinking of for my character and see if it flies or how you think might be the best way to fenangle it in whatever system you're picturing? (I say that, as I have not played the game myself, and though you say it doesn't really hold to the game and is a realistic tactics-driven freeform RP, it sounds like a lot of the game elements have been held over as world elements that I, not being a player, am having trouble grasping.)

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:15 am

Thank you!... But that pun was painful...

Feel free, I don't think I was explaining it very well

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:20 am

MD15 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:15 am
... But that pun was painful...
Thank you! I try very hard, and it's always nice to see recognition for all of my effort. :xeyes:

I wanna make some poor, ill-equipped but good-hearted ex-military officer who wants to go pro, but can't afford a doll, then finds a busted up old model in the back of a third-hand shop. On the surface, she's useless. Insecure, nervous, jumpy, and all of her extra hardware is missing. But they go on "dates" for, like, laser tag and paintball, building their emotional connection with each other while also getting her more confident. But she gets, like, "in the zone" in a combat scenario - he's noticed, she hasn't - as her remnant combat programming takes over. So long as something doesn't surprise her and make her panic, which shakes her out of it.

Because he can't picture sending her into battle in a t-shirt and pajama pants regardless of the toughness of her hardshell (all extra hardware was missing, including default clothes) and he's ex-military, he gets her suited up in combat armor and such, despite everyone else in super elegant clothing. I also pictured him equipping her with a modular weapon like the XM8 (Link Here) and a couple frags, which he's taught her how to throw.

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:23 am

That's work fine, so long as it starts out as one of those. You can upgrade her with new weapons but it still has to follow the tier list so that there is still some progression. But cosmetically, sure, change them how you wish

Funnily enough XM8 is a four star AR girl

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:25 am

Oh, it's actually represented? Got a picture? And I guess that means that even if she's not optimized like a girl built for it, it's still off-limits?

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:27 am

Oh no, so long as you pay the price of a normal XM8 it can be just as good as a standard XM8 T-Doll

But having only 1 T-Doll won't do you very good, so I guess that one can be like your favorite which you take the most care of? Because normally you're meant to have 5 to 6 for a fully squad

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:38 am

Well, we're starting with only one or two, like you said. We don't get to start with a full squad. I figured since the ones that pick one pick a three star, I'd just call her an underequipped 3-star.

In any case, our first matches will have to be teams where several (at least three) officers combine their forces, or they will have to be some sort of exhibition matches against smaller numbers.

MD15
Olympian
Olympian

Post by MD15 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 am

Alrighty

At the start it will be very minor, almost underground matches

Also, if you'd prefer a different type of 3 star rather than a shotgun I could make a catalog for which ever one you'd prefer so you can choose from that

Ninmast
Olympian
Olympian

Post by Ninmast » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:22 am

That'd be very helpful, then just say that we can have two 2-stars or one 3-star.