Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

One Piece: New Romance Dawn (Part 2)

The realms where magic is the most prevalent. These are the realms of traditional fantasy but includes any setting where magic is the primary focus. Examples: LotR, Harry Potter, Dresden Files.

Moderators: Darkblade, Georgeanna

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout
Class: Warrior

Re: One Piece: New Romance Dawn (Part 2)

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 am

Cyrus watched as the people around him collapsed to the ground in various ways, he could hear his own breathing loud in his ears as he eyed the two beings on either side of the alleyway. He saw the rocket coming at him and bit down on his lip, shifting all of his weight to one side. He avoided turning into a meat pile, but the propelling flames burned a hole in his coat, licked away his shirt and seared his skin. He was getting tired of all this elemental damage.

Emerald appeared at his hip, as he stepped forward and freed Cloudcraver. "Soar." He threw the blade upwards in an arch towards the horse, the weapon spinning through the sky in its awkward arc. He himself shot forward, as low as he could, one hand on a second sheath, his sword arm finding the hilt of his ivory blade. "Ambush." He drew the blade in an Iai rush, aimed at the metal throat of the horse.
"Only the insane equate pain, with success." -Cheshire Cat

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Post by khfan429 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Touching down from his trip to the ceiling, K.T. immediately dropped to the ground to avoid either detonating or being smeared by the oncoming rocket, successfully evading the worst possible outcomes. Unfortunately, the ongoing projectile had managed to singe his hair a bit on its way past him, prompting an irritated upward flick of the eyes from the engineer as he put out the remaining ember with a lick of the finger.

It seemed Sam and Cyrus were already dealing with their two adversaries, so he didn't see much use in jumping into the fray at quite this moment. Moderately exasperating, so far he hadn't found a single use for his new V-0 and he was itching to punch someone with it. Still, the lack of a need to get up close and personal didn't mean there was nothing he could do to help.

Drawing himself back up into a standing position, K.T. attempted to hold Spriggan and the rocket-ing horse in place with his Cling-Cling Fruit, hoping to stick their feet to the floor and render them unable to dodge his crewmates' attacks. Whether they were capable of outputting enough force to break out of it (or perhaps more troubling but still potentially plausible given the environment, shifting the floor around to render that handicap null and void) remained to be seen, but he had the feeling that all pertinent data on that subject would present itself soon.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Adventurer

Post by ThreadWeaver » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Selkie was quiet for a moment. An errant trickle of bubbles escaped the gray matter folds, vanishing up into the ceiling.

:redbullet: "There are a few... I've tried this a lot. Acted different ways, attracted the help of all sorts of people. It all blurs together sometimes. Each time, something goes wrong. Machalai works up a counter strategy of some sort, and my forces can't go on forever. But this time, this time I'm going to do something entirely different; I'm going to make him fight himself." :redbullet:

A small panel opened in the floor, revealing a thin metal stake, gleaming with crimson. At the same time, a node pinged to life in the blueprints at the top of Machalai's tower.

:redbullet: "I was able to get my hands - oh, well, not really literally, I don't have those - erm, I was able to get a grasp on how his enthralling technology works. I made these metal stakes - your friend should have one or two just like them. If you can take this stake up to Machalai's throne, the seat of his power, and embed it into the main control console, then I can enact his anti-mutiny protocols. The protocols are hard encoded into his core intelligence; he can't block it, because it's an order coming from a part of him he can't deny. Once it's activated, an opportunity should arise where all individuals on the ship who are recognized as inhabitants will be able to, well, basically vote for a redistribution of command. If you can get a fraction of them... about 20% of the inhabitants, to distribute power to me, I could figure something out for you. At least enough to... I think enough to free your ship, and get you out of here." :redbullet:

It was a strange sensation to be able to read hesitation in the voice of an individual who lacked one. But it was there nonetheless. She was quiet again. There was the sense that, had she a body, they'd be seeing her gathering her resolve.

:redbullet: "So, I suppose this is the question: Are you able to rise up as heroes, and gallantly rush forth into the demon's den to rescue us?" :redbullet:

------

The horse's eyes released a cobalt flash, and its large shoulders sprang open like gullwing doors. A pair of shotgun barrels emerged from each, one set interceding against Cyrus' sword swipe, the other targeting his center mass and firing.

Allen's dagger flew true, piercing into Spriggan's leg with a clang like a bell. And then sinking further and further as the limb morphed around it, engulfing the knife completely and drawing it in.

:bluebullet: Forgetting me? Man that's whack. Don't turn your back, I'm on the attack!! :bluebullet:

Spriggan began to step forward, but stopped. His foot barely left the ground, shaking with strain, small sparks arcing between the soles of his shoes and the ground. His head wheeled around, turning to KT. He lifted an arm and, with speed like a slung arrow, it extended towards the mechanic, narrowing to a piercing, spear-like tip as it did.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 am

So his options were to murder someone likely incapable of stopping him for any notable length of time, who seemingly would prefer to live. Or; if he were to take up these metal stakes, he could lead a full-scale revolution. Band the people together, stop the villain and reclaim the citizenry's safety and self-certainty. But that was a big if, considering the number of individuals presently actively under the control of the big bad. Possibly even an impossible task. And he wasn't a hero. Much as he would have enjoyed the title as a kid, he knew it was far from the sort of person he had been. He was strong, capable, and considerate... but he was also spiteful, and prone to frustration. He was petulant and of a mind to resort to violence when the going got tough. He was well-mannered, but beneath the veneer he knew that he was just a brute in a suit.

Nevertheless; there were only two options. Was he going to play the hero or live as a careless killer?

And then what...?

Picking up one of the stakes Adam turned it over in his hand and thought carefully. How many people were in this tin-can? More than enough to make it so his own crew wouldn't account for twenty percent, that was almost certain. Meaning people would need to be set loose from Machalai's control first, and then gathered to resist and to vote against him. And he would need to get to the throne, past the troubles which had blocked him so completely before...

Loosing a soft exhalation he rubbed at the bridge of his nose and gave a slow nod.

"Okay. A couple things, before I make my decision... You mention that 'citizens' get a vote. Would my fellow crewmen be considered citizens at present? Is there any way you could skew the results of the vote if you had help from someone tech-savvy?" He looks to Ushi for a moment as though considering whether together the bullfrog and the brain might swing a miracle.

"Secondly; getting our ship free is nice and all, but that really doesn't do us much good with our people scattered across a city full of robo-minions and death-drones... Could you potentially use that control in another way? Like getting those little greeter-bots we saw at the doors to redistribute confiscated goods from outside across the place to try and wake people up, or shutting off the signal or whatever it is that Captain copper-for-brains is using to command people? Or limiting his sentience to a single locale and blocking it from the network for a time so we can trash him without him coming back? I don't really know how all this tech stuff works, I'm just..." He trailed off and considered other options. For a moment he even considered taking over the broadcast system and trying to wake people up with music, but frankly his writer found him to be a bit less anime than the rest of the crew and wasn't sure he could pull off such a ludicrous plan.

"Just thinking if we can get the people thinking clearly we can get a lot more than a fifth of the vote." Though, he wasn't certain about that... who knows, they might all have stockholm syndrome by this point.

"Oh, and third of all; no. I'm not a hero and I don't think I can be one. Hell; I don't want to be one. But I am a Pirate. If you want revolt, revolution, and to steal this whole damn place from under Machalai's nose by guile or force then I can absolutely do that for you. Especially seeing as I'm currently accompanied by one of my crew's greatest minds, our absolute strongest bruiser, and a complete enigma who he'll never see coming. So get the uncertainty out of your synthesized voice, put that gray matter to use and think of how we can overthrow that robotic stooge. Because I may not be a hero, but I'm damn sure not planning on becoming any more of a villain or a loser than I already am today."
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am

:redbullet:" I'll try to - wait, hold on - ":redbullet:

As Adam loosed his volley of queries, screens flickered to life on the surface of the cylinder, depicting relevant information. Rather than answering the questions piecemeal, she was doing it all at once.

Should he read them, he would note the following information: That Machalai had limited the definition of civilians to those who had received mechanical augmentations and, thus, were under his thrall; that the 20% control of the system only handled subsystems such as the speakers, the aquatic docking drones, the SOS beacon, and the screen systems.

:redbullet: "I was hoping to... if you're able to activate the anti-mutiny protocols, certain behavioral modifications will lock into place. For the duration of the voting process, the citizens should have their free will restored. Whenever this Vegapunk person made these protocols, he included a stipulation that no one could cast their vote under duress, although they could change their mind so long as the voting window stayed open. If someone were to make an appeal, then perhaps we could garner more support... but I have no guarantees of-... None of my programs or datasets indicate an unambiguous probability towards success or failure. Maybe if... maybe if someone like you could do it?" :redbullet:

Although Adam had indicated she step up and cease her hesitations, Selkie seemed more subdued at the prospect of appealing to the people. It was an odd meld of hope and fear.

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 am

Ushi remained largely silent during Selkie and Adam's back-and-forth, nodding her head to herself as she tried to piece together all the information being delivered. This city's set-up was certainly a complicated one, and for what was definitely not the first time she lamented K.T.'s decision to go on some half-baked ego trip instead of staying to help parse out all this relevant information, though it was mitigated somewhat by the fact that they had Den Den Mushi's. They would likely want to check in with them sooner rather than later, given that they had been heading for the tower and (assuming they succeeded) would be in a perfect position to engage the vote. Assuming that was even necessary, as the young bull-frog had an alternative suggestion creeping at the back of her mind...

"You mentioned that the tower has a main control console." she suddenly spoke up. "Is there... no wait, that's stupid." Attempting to manually reprogram their way out of this situation hardly seemed more certain than relying on a vote, the odds that either her or K.T. would be able to make heads-or-tails of a system this complex were... not especially great. Although K.T. had more hands-on experience with programming than her from his work with MRX, she had to imagine that attempting to compare their mechanical medic to Machalai was like comparing apples to apple trees. Unless?

Wriggling out of Angela's hug, Ushi began "pacing" (which in her case translated to agitated hopping) back and forth. "I don't suppose there's a chance you can get us a peek of the raw code for the anti-mutiny protocols, is there?" she asked Selkie. "I don't need to be able to make edits, just to see what it looks like." At this, she felt she owed the others a more straightforward explanation, so she turned her helmet-obscured gaze to Adam instead.

"There is a VERY slim chance that we may be able to bypass the need for a vote entirely." she explained. "If we get into the tower, which we apparently need to do anyways, either K.T. or myself may actually be able to alter his protocols ourselves. Maybe. Possibly. It's hard to say, I have no idea how Machalai's code is written or how to make functional changes to it, I'm hoping if I can get a look-see at one portion of it I can decipher the rest from there, or at least be able to properly identify the anti-mutiny protocols so that we can AVOID tampering with those if I can't figure anything else out about them. Honestly when I say it out loud it's probably only a plan we'd want to consider in ADDITION to trying to force a vote at this very early stage, but you know. Backups never hurt. Of course it's also possible the main control console may not be able to be interfaced with by an non-augmented organism on a physical level, I'd like to think nobody would be that overconfident in their own work or averse to letting other people make alterations but we all know at least ONE such frustratingly arrogant person exists which would render my entire idea moot, but I may be able to devise a work-around even then."

----

Observing Spriggan's attempt to move, K.T. reactivated the low power setting of the V-0, the machine glowing orange once more. With the lightning gun no longer active and threatening to fry his beautiful creation, he was itching to try it out!

Which was why, rather than settling for simply ducking around Spriggan's extended knife hand (an act which took no small amount of focus given its speed and required him to loosen his Devil Fruit's grip), he also brought up his fists, only to slam his forearms together with Spriggan's arm (hopefully) in between them.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:14 pm

:redbullet: "It's honestly difficult to say. I don't exactly see the code. Not in an actual physical sense. I operate the subsystems I have access to almost... almost like I'd imagine arms or legs feel. I can expose what the protocols look like to me, but they're inherently impossible to tamper with. They were designated a maximum level security protocol, which puts them outside even Machalai's grasp... probably for just this situation. But, well... hm. Do you have any preferences on an interface style?" :redbullet:

"I don't get what any of this means. I was told I was here to punch things." Rin whispered poorly to Angela. Angela shrugged, offering Rin a book to read. Rin seemed repulsed by the offer.

--------

KT's fists closed together, closer... and closer... and closer... until they had separated Spriggan's arm completely, meeting in the middle and sending the knife edge flying away. Had he proven stronger than he thought, or...?

The passing of air served as KT's sole warning as an enormous fist, as large as he was tall, swung down in a hammer blow at him from behind. It had sprouted from the nearby roof, while his attention had been turned elsewhere

He would be able to follow the lines in reverse, from where the giant arm had sprouted and along the wild blue lines of power down to where Spriggan's uninjured arm had entered into the floor. Spriggan had somehow acquired command of the metal and circuitry embedded along the path, and rapidly twisted it to his own designs.

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 pm

"Um... whatever's easiest for you, I suppose?" Ushi answered uncertainly, tapping the ground with her hoof in a sheepish manner. "I'm sorry, I'm still fairly inexperienced with programming as a whole, and I don't really know how your particular... 'set-up?'... is arranged. I'm not quite sure what the options are?"

----

Half turning to spot the source of the moving air, K.T. swung his right fist at the oncoming attack in an uppercut with wide eyes, hoping that the V-0's current setting would be enough to arrest the power of the giant fist's blow.

With his left arm, he launched the Spiked Boxed-ing Glove at Spriggan. Although he had seen their foe assimilate the knife thrown at him earlier, he reasoned the spring connecting the glove to his wrist would prevent Spriggan from doing the same, assuming the size difference between the two weapons wasn't a factor. Or if he could still assimilate it, maybe it would pull him in for a better attack angle!

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:54 am

Just roll in and be pointed towards a target they could tear apart. Or punch an electrical terminal and shut down a trap. Or have Ushi erase an AI system that turned against them. Such simple concepts. He wished the world was so simple.

"Okay. Rin, Angela; could you two do me a favor and sweep the perimiter for any trouble, and maybe see which path looks best for getting to the tower? We're almost ready to head out." With his keen hearing he'd noted Rin getting bored and impatient. This would give the duo something to do and potentially a feeling of importance to keep the more brutish of the pair composed for a bit longer.

"I need quick, simple answers to the best of your ability." He said as he rounded on their patron subsystem's brain once more, trying to piece together what needed to be said.

"If Ushi thinks they can bypass the vote from the tower; do you have a means by which to keep in contact with us on the move, discuss all this as we get where we need to be, because coming out of our way to meet you 'in person' has given us some solid intel but at this point we're killing time that could be better spent trying to limit the potential threat to our crew by getting to the endgame." Even as he said this he was beginning to pace, his head was swimming with possibility and risk.

"Furthermore as we go can you give us a quick rundown of what subsystems you do have access to so that we can assess if any of them could be utilized to help ourselves or our crew?"
---
"Right... well all I've got on me is easily absorbed knives, and you look like you're about to keel over with fear..." Sam uttered towards Francis, helping the other man to his feet. The pair began to shuffle away, trying to put a little distance between themselves and the giant metal monstrosity their fellow crewmen were fighting.

Francis was indeed wide-eyed with panic, pale in the face, and frayed beyond the norm; and yet fear wasn't all that was on their mind. They had seen how readily the knife was taken into the entity and even as they were being pulled away they began to rummage through their pockets and pull out several small paper packets filled with fine powders in a number of hues and granularities.

For his part Allen slowly pulled himself from beneath Philly and looked up at the big rhyming mechanoid with a feverish grin. Allen wasn't an idiot, and he wasn't weak. In terms of sheer physicality he was a bit of a monster, but clumsy and easily distracted and prone to underestimation. In a straight arm-wrestling match he could probably take pretty much anyone aboard the ship, and if there were a punch machine in this world he'd have easily broken it to smithereens. That said, he got beat up all the time in training with the rest of the crew because he had almost no focus, and he was easily baited into a trap and he as too easy to read. Still; Spriggan was a big target, and currently being approached by other enemies as well. This could be a chance for him to actually help out. He reared back his fist and leapt at them, loosing a punch that could splinter wood and stone and metal as well at the back of the enemy's head as K.T. assailed him from the front.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:48 am

Cyrus blade impacted the metal that had sprung from the horse before him. He sucked his teeth in displeasure, as he found himself staring down the barrel of a gun, yet again. The first time this had happened he froze, too inexperienced to do anything about it. No one was going to rescue him this time and he'd be damned if he was going to face the abyss from a pepper blast, especially one coming from a glorified horse.

Cyrus yanked one arm free of his jacket as he kicked off the ground performing a half-twist-front-flip and landing on the horses back. He jammed the sleeve into his mouth and held tight with his legs, catching his emerald blade out of the air and sheathing his weapons. "Alright fucker," he exclaimed pulling the cloth from his mouth and grabbing a sleeve in each hand. He whipped the body of the jacket over the horses face and pulled hard, "Giddy-up!"

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:43 pm

:redbullet: “Oh, no, it’s alright! I’ll just, up... I usually just fire the appropriate neurons and just think about what I’m doing, and it happens. So I guess I could just get you a quick and easy skull implant, would you like that you wouldn’t like that, no, that hurts people. Right. Ummmm...” :redbullet:

Selfie shifted away from the initial proposal, possibly reading a shift in the mood. As she puzzled, lights raced up and down the walls of the room. Rin and Angela skedaddled on ahead, in pursuit of adventure.

Eventually a hatch opened in the ceiling, and a small pair of sunglasses were craned down by a mechanical claw. They were propped and adjusted onto Ushi’s face, hooking to her horns.

:redbullet: “Here, this should assist you in interfacing with the system. Just look and use blinks to activate the options as you see them.” :redbullet:

Her attention, indicated by a shift in the light of the room, turned to Adam.

:redbullet: “Oh, not much at all actually. I handle all sub-systems and vital components - potable water, oxygen scrubbers, thermal regulation... basically homeostasis, but with very strict oversight. The only capacity where I have freedom is in minor person-to-person communications and small fabrications... He said it’s good for his daughter to do arts and crafts.” :redbullet:

————

Nightmare seemed confused by this sudden turn, bucking and whipping about under Cyrus, trying to pitch him off. After a few seconds of doing this, it seemed to settle down.

And a hatch opened directly under Cyrus, a strange metal device, like a curved plate, emitting from within. It almost seemed like a -

“That’s NOT a saddle!!” Philly gasped, getting to her feet, the pure alarm in her voice serving as the only warning Cyrus would get.

————

The spikes of KT’s boxing glove sunk deep into Spriggan - not I’m the way of penetrative damage, but in the way of water slipping into a pond. The glove stopped, however, as soon as the leather impacted his surface, rocking him back slightly and into Allen’s fist.

The lights governing Spriggan’s vision flickered, and his head turned a full 180 to stare at Allen.

“A back attack? That’s pretty whack. Catch this though, cuz you’re going slack.”

And Spriggan’s metallic form leapt the gap of the glove, racing up the spring towards KT’s are and wrapping around his wrist. There was a sickening, wrenching force that threatened to pull his arm from its socket as Spriggan whipped KT down, using him like a flail in a swing to strike at Allen.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:42 am

"Arts and crafts..." Simple words, but they resonated in Adam's heart of hearts and brought a small smile to his face. There was, it seemed, something that this entity could do to help.

"Alright then. Selkie; if you'd be so kind as to share with us some of your artistic talent... I'll take one order of campaign posters and anti-Machalai propoganda, to go. Even if we fail in directly manipulating or removing the vote we can swiftly spread word of the heinousness of this city-ship and try for a quick rally of opinion to our side." Meanwhile they could beat down any opposition they faced and hope that Ushi was capable of bringing down the threat directly.

Now that Angela and Rin were off he could feel deep down that he was anxious to head out as well. Enlightening as the meeting with their brain-in-a-jar buddy had been he felt that his worries only grew the more they stuck around.

---

"Well... shit." Allen said with all the grace and poetry he could muster in retort. His normal response to such a course of action would have been to just punch the weapon being hurtled at him and break it or deflect it... but the weapon was K.T. He knew the kid was fairly hardy, but even so he didn't know how well he'd fare to the strongest flat out non-devil fruit, haki or mecha empowered punch anyone on the crew could dish out. Gritting his teeth he opened his arms to try and catch the younger man instead, and try to minimize the impact to both of them.

A ways off Mr. Cork was busy carefully funneling the mixed powder and a viscous light blue liquid he had brought together into a small metallic sphere with a grind-bit headed plunger cap. He barely noticed Sam trying to question him, and as the peanuts trombone voice wah-wahhed at him he marveled at his creation.

"Alrighty then; let's give this a shot..." Turning around and running back towards the fray he pitched the sphere at Spriggan after pressing down hard on the cap and twisting, which in turn caused the mixed powder to burst causing a chemical reaction with the blue goo and resulting in a mild explosion that would bring to life a quick-drying adhesive which he hoped should result in sticking at least some of the parts of Spriggan together so they couldn't shift around and dodge so much.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Cyrus lifted himself forward into a hand stand, his arms shivering with the weight of his entire body being put on them suddenly. He spun himself down and around wrapping around the thick neck of the metal horse, locking his ankles together as he avoided whatever horrible abomination would likely have shattered his whole dick area.

He found himself face to face with the horse and he wasn't a fan, he was sure that the next thing this critter would do is spit a gout of flame out of its mouth into his own. "I've got a question! He loudly announced into the robo-horses nose, while reaching into the inner folds of his jacket. "Do you count?" He pulled free one of the spike-rods that he had been granted earlier by the sensational pop-star, with a hard whip of his arm he attempted to drive it into the throat of Nightmare.

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Ushi tilted her head in surprise as she was given a pair of properly fitted sunglasses. Not what she would have expected for an interface option, but they seemed both functional and fashionable. And given their circumstances and the overall somewhat clunky design of her headset, she was happy for both.

"Okay, so bad news and good news. Bad news first, the scope of all of this is, as I feared, VAST." she remarked after taking a moment to acquaint herself with the device's operation. "I have never seen anything like this. Even these glasses require a tech level that I have VERY little experience with. Good news, I think I found what we're looking for. So secondary objective of knowing what NOT to mess with? Achieved that much, the rest... I can PROBABLY figure out. Or see if K.T. can work through it a little more easily."

----

Eyes widening, K.T. made little attempt to fight back as Spriggan dragged him by the spring around his arm, not wanting to have anything broken. Wincing as he collided with Allen, he struggled to get back to his feet, though he also noted that Sam seemed to have thrown together some sort of chemical concoction and had tossed it at Spriggan. Gritting his teeth, he disengaged the Boxed-ing Glove from his arm, only to grab it with his now bare hand, hoping that perhaps from this position he could help keep Spriggan in place. And that whatever Sam had created would be of more help currently than his very metal arsenal.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:05 pm

:redbullet: "I... can make that attempt, yes. I'll see about printing out some postables, maybe altering a few signs? I haven't really produced paper in a few years, everything's so automated by the signboards so it'll at least be a fun exercise... Do you want these portrait or landscape, any particular content?" :redbullet:

Selkie carried on, explaining a few options to Adam until he had decided on something he could be, well... 'proud of' may have been a less than appropriate sentiment for the current situation, but there were few worthy contenders for a proper wording.

:redbullet: "... So... Do you think you can do this? Are you... are you sure you can save me, as long as you can get to the tower? Or at least, get enough control to free yourselves?" :redbullet:

------

The spike bit deep into Nightmare's maw amid a whirl of machinery. There was a cacophonous flare of scarlet, lines running down Nightmare's head and towards his body.

Then its head fell clean off, as though cleaved.

"Yeh... Yeh killed i- OH HELL YEH DIDN'T!!"

Philly was cut off as, with a buzz like a hornet nest from hell, a rotating saw emerged from the dark recesses of Nightmare's neck and jabbed towards Cyrus upon a mechanical extension.

------

A mist of blood and sweat clapped out from the impact of KT and Allan in a fine cloud as they impacted each other, mostly from KT's head mashing into Allan's nose. Spriggan's other fist began to surge forward, shifting through multiple shapes before finally settling on a blunt instrument for a followup when Sam's concoction struck. The fluid briefly continued onward, splaying out and over the robot's form before solidifying suddenly in jutting lines horizontal to the ground, seeping and hardening into gaps in the joints and striking half of Spriggan's body into place. The unwavering eyes shifted, fixing on the obstruction.

:bluebullet: "You think I'm a clown, tryin' a' hold me down? Well the only red nose will be on my foes. Put down your hands, get ready to fold, because I'm gonna bury you all in the cold." :bluebullet:

There was the briefest possible moment of blinding light, the world seeming to darken for an instant as a their eyes tried to rapidly adjust to a blue bead that gathered in the front of Spriggan's mouth. And then their world was one of hoarfrost as the blue light shot outwards in a wash, a beam that traced lines of ice and powdered snow as vapor in the air was flash frozen. Spriggan spun his head, turning the blast upon Allan, KT and Sam in turn.

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Post by Lumeus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:43 am

Malister tried to clear the fog from his blurry vision, but it was difficult. His head felt heavy, waterlogged, and there was a dull ache back above the base of his skull. He licked his chapped lips and tasted copper. When he attempted to breathe deep a sharp pain speared him in the ribs, and kept him from slipping back into unconsciousness. He tried to rub the bleariness from his eyes and found that he couldn't move his arms or legs. Malister blinked several more times until the room came into focus - a familiar room. The floor, walls, and ceiling were all made of quarried grey stone, and the air smelled of mold, mildew, and sewage. Wax candles sparsely placed here and there did little to fend off the darkness of Castle Goyle's dungeon, or repel the permeating cold that made Malister keenly aware he was no longer wearing a shirt. He strained to free his limbs, but as usual the ropes binding him to the wooden cross beams were tied too tight.

Shit.

“Ah, Mr. Vane, you’re awake. Splendid.”

Double shit.

Malister turned his head to the right as far as he could and saw Ms. Grace standing next to a candle lit table of assorted instruments that Malister had become intimately familiar with over the years.

“Ms. Grace, I was going to say goodbye, I swear!” Malister pleaded. “But I knew that if I looked into those big brown cow eyes of yours, and said those words, I wouldn’t be able to go through with it. I wouldn’t be able to leave. All the time we’ve shared together, all the memories we’ve made would come racing back, and I would just run back to those fat, flabby, gelatinous arms and never let go. You eat me- I mean, complete me, Ms. Grace.”

As Malister’s spoke, Ms. Grace’s smile grew bigger. Malister should have known, should have realized, should have shut his damn mouth. Because Ms. Grace only smiled for one reason, but Malister was on a roll now.

"All I ask is that you try to find it in your heart to forgive. Forgive me for thinking I could quit you. Forgive your mother for never making you exercise as a child, or loving you. But mostly, you need to forgive yourself. Forgive yourself for ever thinking you're not fat and that suicide isn't the answer, because in your case it definitely is. Let the healing begin, Ms. Grace. The first step is admitting you're wrong, and the second step is jumping from a great height because we both know there isn't a noose in existence with the tensile strength to hang you proper."

Ms. Grace, with her leather flail already in hand, quietly walked across the room to the other stone wall as she spoke. “Your latest escapade was your grandest yet, Mr. Vane, I’ll grant you that, and I’ll also admit that our frequent reconditioning sessions down here have begun to lose their appeal for me.”

“Oh, say it isn’t so, Ms. Grace,” Malister said with just the right amount of dejection in his voice. Her smile returned. Malister didn’t like that. She was up to something.

“No matter how many different methods I employ, you refuse to behave, and so time and again we find ourselves here, me with my patient attempts to reform the filthy, savage nature your parents instilled in you, you with your insults and ungrateful impertinence, and I am not sure how much longer this can continue, because, simply put, I have run out of ways to reprimand you, Mr. Vane.” Ms. Grace reached over and placed her hand on top of an object that sat atop a table all shrouded in a black silk cloth. “The same, however, does not hold true for your accomplices.”

Ms. Grace pulled back the silk to reveal a den den mushi. It was a pale green color with a yellow shell, and seemed just like any ordinary communication snail, until it began projecting a video from its eyeballs onto the wall it was facing. Malister blinked in surprise. He didn't know a den den mushi could do that, and it took him a moment to understand what he was seeing. He had never seen the commons yard from an aerial point of view after all.

Castle Goyle's commons was a square patch of open ground in the center of the Keep that might have once been a lovely courtyard, but was now little more than a patch of dirt and a bit of grass that served as a "recreational space" where the children were allowed to have "play time", if they ever earned it. Malister could see people in the courtyard, but they were too far away from him to make out what was happening. The image zoomed in and a sense of dread began to fill in Malister's gut.

"Oh dear," Ms. Grace tutted, "there should be sound." She began fiddling with the device connected to the den den mushi. "I don't want you missing out on the fruits of your labor. It must have taken you months to plan that escape, and I always reward hard work."

There was a clicking noise and then the sound came on, and Malister wished to God that it would turn back off. The whips cracked the air like twin lightning strikes, and the two children, kneeling in the dirt with their hands bound to posts in the center of the commons, screamed in unison. At first Malister thought they were wearing red, long-sleeve shirts, but as the camera zoomed in closer he could see that they had both been stripped naked, and the red running down their backs and arms wasn't a shirt. Ringing the square yard were all the other slave children, forced to watch what would happen to them if they ever thought about rebelling.

"You may have built up a tolerance to pain over the years, Mr. Vane, but your friends, it seems, have not." Ms. Grace was practically laughing as hot tears ran down Malister's face. The camera zoomed in closer still and Malister wanted to look away, but forced himself to watch. This was his fault. It was the least he could do. The whip came down again, and again, and again, and again.

Micah was almost unrecognizable. Someone had cut her beautiful brown hair so short her scalp was bloody, and her face was swollen from a beating. The blood ran in rivers down her slender frame, and pooled in the dirt around her shins. Her screams were loud and ragged, and shattered Malister's heart into a million pieces.

Deagan looked even worse. One of the whip lashes had gone high and sheared off the top of his right ear and left a nasty gash along the side of his face. His body was bruised all over and he too was screaming, for the guards to stop hitting Micah. But it only seemed to inspire them.

"STOP!" Malister screamed. "That's too much! You're killing them!"

"No, my little bird, you are killing them," Ms. Grace said, so very pleased with herself.

"What?" Malister choked with a look of confusion.

"I gave the guards very strict instructions to only whip those two while you are speaking." Ms. Grace revealed a second den den mushi. This one was the regular kind allowing everyone in the commons to hear the conversation going on down in the dungeon. Ms. Grace ran the leather flail across Malister's chest and shoulders, tracing the layers upon layers of scar tissue as she walked around him in slow circles. "The guards were worried, of course, that the punishment wouldn't last very long that way, and your conspirators wouldn't learn their lesson, but I assured them you would provide an ample amount of time to administer a sufficient reprimand, and as I suspected, you did not disappoint."

Malister's eyes went wide and he instinctively opened his mouth to scream every curse known to man, but caught himself. And then Ms. Grace's words truly sank in. It had taken a long time, but Malister had eventually taught himself how to embrace even the worst pain and then focus it into sarcasm and insults. It frustrated Ms. Grace to no end and she would inflict more pain, which Malister only used to spew more vitriol. But Ms. Grace had found a way to take away his words, his outlet, his means of staying sane, his survival.

"Yes, now you understand. You involved them in your plan so they will share in your punishment." Ms. Grace centered herself in front of him taking up his entire field of view. "You cry they cry, you scream they scream, you speak they scream louder. And if you think these rules only apply for today then you are sorely mistaken." Ms. Grace stepped back. "Now, let us see if this new method of reform yields better results." She drew back the flail, and grinned.

Joint Post: Thread Weaver and Lumeus
ThreadWeaver wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:12 pm
The wall nearest where Malister's head had rested on the table gave a hiss and a crack, splitting down the middle as more vapor spilled into the room. The walls jerked apart, and then slid seamlessly away from each other, disappearing to reveal a large, unlit room. Within the dark and mist that exuded from that space, dozens of points of blue light began to flick into being.

"I thought it would be nice to finally reunite you all."

And almost as soon as Malister had gotten away from the table a long, segmented steel arm lashed out. It slammed an extremity ending in a 4-prong claw into the table, almost ripping it free from the floor with the blow.

"Hm. I might need to tone that down in future models." Machalai mused aloud.

Malister’s good eye narrowed as he watched the robotic tentacle arm obliterate the operating table and decided it was probably best he not get hit by that.

He peered into the darkness beyond the doorway at the winking blue lights and knew what they meant. He had been on the Nautilus for months while scouring the seas for the red-haired woman and in that time he had seen more than a few pirate crews fitted with their own little blue lights. Malister knew his crew was no exception, but Machalai had held all the cards, held his crew, and a promise that Malister would be reunited with them was better than nothing, so Mal had toed the line.

But Machalai didn’t know about the bloodsworn Iron Pact. The Skybreaker Pirates had all made the same promise, and when Malister saw his family again, he would do what had to be done.

Letting the anger and adrenaline surge through him, Malister unraveled the blood stained bandage wrap around his right hand and forearm before reaching down and grabbed a hold of the metal flooring like it was made of aluminum foil, and ripped free a long, jagged piece. The bandages he used as a makeshift handle wrap to keep his grip from slipping.

No person, no pirate, no crew, no captain, no navy, no government, no kingdom, and certainly no goddamn robot-man-piece-of-shit was ever going to make his friends slaves again!

One way or another…

The blue lights grew in size, moving rapidly about each other, steel limbs scratching over steel floors. The lights grew and grew, in size and proximity, until they burst into the room Malister was being contained in.

Three emerged at once. Their shapes were odd; crescent moon bodies, with a wedge-like shape. From each surface extended an elongating metal limb ending in a four-pronged claw, with the machines almost cart wheeling so that two limbs touched a surface at any given time. On the inner curve was a port with the winking blue light and on the outer curve was a glass dome roughly the size of a human head, fogged over with vapor and thrumming with a blue glow.

In the back of his mind, a small piece of Malister felt a twinge of relief. He had steeled his heart to the idea that Machalai's robots would be wearing the faces of his friends, and he would have to cut them down, but the machines flipping toward him were just wires, gears, and metal. Nothing to write home about.

The bandage wrap around Malister's left forearm unraveled until it dangled down to the floor, and then he waited, unblinking, for the robots to attack. He didn't have to wait long.

With acrobatic movements, and prehensile coil appendages, the three attacked with a slight separation in their timing, thrusting their free claws in an overlapping pattern at the point where Malister stood, their claws closing into a stabbing prong.

Quicker by a hair, Malister slipped under the metal limbs and lashed the bandage wrappings whip quick onto the closest robot's arm snaring it just long enough to test the edge of his weapon and hopefully reduce the robot's limb count to three.

The blade caught a bit at the start, but an extra oomph of muscle helped to push it through. The severed limb clattered to the ground, and the droid reeled away from Malister. It hesitated, then leapt in the air to cling to the ceiling… Only for three more arms to extend out from the dark room through the space the droid had occupied, and snatched Malister by his arms and a leg.

Malister grunted through the searing pain of his raw skin being clamped down on by metallic pincers as he was reeled across the ice cold floor into the darkness, icy vapors swirling in his wake. But pain was an old friend, and Mal had grown accustomed to its uninvited arrivals. His wits still about him, Mal released his makeshift weapon and sent it hacking and slashing at the tentacle arms that held him, but it wasn’t enough to prevent him from being pulled into the awaiting void.

In the blackness the only thing Malister could see were the glowing blue robot “heads,” like beacons, thoughtfully giving him a clear focal point to aim for. With incredible speed and devil assisted accuracy, Mal sent his blade flying at the closest target.

The blade vanished into the darkness, and the light winked out with an accompanying cracking of glass. The light winked out, and for a moment Malister could see it; the sprawling, flailing arms of the drone whipping about, blinded. Then suddenly it slowed, the lights of the other bots blinking in unison, and it brought itself back under control as though it could see again. It picked up a fragment of glass up off the floor and flung it at Malister, straight at his head.

The bandages and skin on Malister’s left cheek bone split open as the glass passed by. It would have stuck in his eye socket had his reaction time been a fraction of a second slower.

“I call this model ‘Legion’. Their minds are interconnected, allowing them to pool their knowledge. Did I mention that already? You’ll have to excuse me; I’m very distracted with something far more interesting than you.” Machalai’s voice crackled over the speakers.

“Metal Gambit,” Mal breathed as he touched the ice cold floor. With a screeching whine, the metal once again bent to his will as it sheared off the flooring around him and severed the pincer clamps holding his limbs before bending into a jagged cocoon of serrated shards jutting outward at awkward angles.

With the tips of his fingers still lightly pressed to the floor, Mal tried to move the entire room. He was well aware that it wasn’t feasible. Even if he hadn’t just barely survived being blasted through multiple walls, he couldn’t move something so solidly fixed in place. What he could do, however, was feel the size and shape of the room he was attempting to move. He needed to find an exit, and quick.

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:47 am

Clenching his teeth more tightly from his head impacting Allan's, K.T. grinned nonetheless as Sam's chimeric chemical combination made contact, apparently locking part of Spriggan into place. It seemed he wouldn't have much in the way of time to capitalize on that, however, as the mechanical man continued his obnoxious rhyming, a blue flash of light serving as a grim portent for... something. Scowling, K.T. continued to hold the spring with his left hand, ducking underneath it and throwing an uppercut at the spring with his free arm.

The spring was currently devoid of tension, feeling more like a solid piece of metal. If he could break it while Spriggan's head was a part of it, maybe they could at least incapacitate him and get a better idea of how he functioned. And hopefully stop whatever he was doing.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:24 am

Adam was impatient. Rather; Adam felt impatient whilst compared to most of the crew he was currently upholding a saintly level of calm and tact. He listened to Selkie's options and did his best to choose what he hoped were eye-catching choices and would potentially draw the focus of people freed of Machalai's control before or as a vote was called for. To share and spread word of his cruelty towards, capture and control of those aboard the Nautilus. Practically humming with repressed energy he desperately wanted to get moving.

And yet... as Selkie questioned him about his belief in their chances he calmed, slowed, relaxed. He could take a moment more. One moment more. She was a brain in a jar that helped run a massive complex. He was pretty sure she was smart enough to understand just how dangerous and stupid all of this was and he wanted to be straightforward with her.

"Selkie... I'll be absolutely honest with you; most of the people on my crew could give you a big grin and tell you they could handle this no problem. That they'd beat the badguy, save you, free the crew, free the other people here and at the end of the day all would be well. But I'm not them. I'm not as strong, or as smart, or as recklessly confident and self assured. I'm not the guy who gives the big rallying cry." He smiled a tired smile and shook his head.

"I'm just the guy who gets beat to hell and back and keeps moving. The one who doesn't know how to quit until he's lost all sense of consciousness, all sense of self. I don't know if we can manage this. I'd like to think we will. I intend to try my best. What little I can promise you is that I'll keep trying and keep fighting longer than anyone else. That I will give it my all to set things right here and I'll see to it my much more capable friends do the same with every iota of their might, minds and hearts. To put their numerous fists and brilliant brains to the problem and try to overcome it. And that's got to be enough. I won't tell you to believe in us because that's not something I can manage myself... but I will tell you to root for us. And we'll do the same. And maybe things will turn out well. And if they don't at least we tried."

---

Allen winced as the speeding kid collided with his face and the cartilage broke which paired with other damage in his nostrils until twin rivers of red were running down over his lips and chin. Sniffling uncomfortably he coughed and could feel the blood running back down his throat. It was interesting... Typically he didn't fight these kinds of foes. Generally he stuck with the brunt of the crew and handled the fodder; just smashed whatever was in front of him with reckless abandon.

This... whatever he was... was smart. Well; maybe tactical was a better word for it as the rhymes mid-fight made him sound like an idiot. He was tactical and tough and inhuman in nature which made it difficult to approach him head on. Grabbing his nose Allen took a moment to assess as a stickyfied Spriggan started charging some sort of new attack.

Behind them Sam had begun to move up and found his hackles raise at the sight of the blue light. Something was wrong. Very wrong. K.T. was dodging, but Allen was seemingly lost in his own head, and seeing as the big guy was stronger than him Sam decided he needed to keep the fool in the fight. Gritting his teeth Sam leapt forwards and smacked the distracted Allen out of the way, just in time to feel the bite of cold sweep across his form. His head and one arm were outside the cone, but he felt the stinging in his nerves and the constricting of his skin as the violent chill swept across him.

Off to the side Francis hastily struggled to put together another phial of sealant as the first had seemed to have a positive effect.