Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

One Piece: New Romance Dawn (Part 2)

The realms where magic is the most prevalent. These are the realms of traditional fantasy but includes any setting where magic is the primary focus. Examples: LotR, Harry Potter, Dresden Files.

Moderators: Darkblade, Georgeanna

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Adventurer

Re: One Piece: New Romance Dawn (Part 2)

Post by ThreadWeaver » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:00 am

Rin, Volg, and the rest of Adam's group sallied forth along the frustrating, dreary interior of the ship, beset on all sides by pipes and cables. As they progressed Volg seemed to be getting increasingly nervous, the large man slouching until he was only about as tall as Adam. Rin took notice and, creeping up alongside the man, suddenly slapping him in the small of the back with a loud shout. Spooked, Volg yelped and nearly tripped over his own feet. Angela flicked Rin on the head at the childish display.

"You're super uptight. Is us meeting Selkie that scary to you?"

"Ah, no! Wait, not no. Yes? Is very hard. Volg is... Selkie is Volg's only friend. We are in similar way, you see? Not Volg or Selkie are knowing of world outside Nautilus. So... am worried of bringing you to her."

------

KT was able to identify the proper cables, based on their gauge, easily enough. He could tell which ones had been made to harness the greatest amount of power, and as such which could ostensibly be headed toward the surface where the city simulation was located.

"Oh, good! And after that we can go back to the ship, right? After we get to the, um, surface. I mean."

Jacob stood behind Cyrus and KT, wringing his hands together.

------

"My tower. I have a great deal of preparation yet. I have to fully scan you for reparable maladies before I can introduce you to my daughter. But my initial observations indicate a high likelihood that you'll get along swimmingly with my sweet, precious, perfect little angel. Would you like to see pictures? I have thousands. Here, this is one from when I..."

The man trailed on as Dullahan flew Laura back into the tower, a nauseatingly fast slideshow of pictures flickering across her vision. The gap in the tower sealed behind them once they had all entered.

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Post by khfan429 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:25 am

K.T. blinked in surprise at Jacob's question, having honestly forgotten that he had been present for any of what had transpired. "... No." he finally said after a moment. "We're the 'Keep Laura From Being Cyberneticized And/Or Making The Invincible Opponent Even More Invincible' group. Our target's the tower which, assuming Ushi and Adam aren't being lead into a trap, means that our destination is probably the single-most dangerous place to be. Especially if Laura is still fighting Machalai." There was a brief pause, as he seemed to fully finish processing who exactly he was speaking to. "Not to worry though, despite that and the high probability of death or involuntary cyberneticization my projections indicate that we actually have a very low chance of outright failing to achieve said objectives!" he added in a misguided attempt at showing support and understanding.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout
Class: Warrior

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:49 pm

Cyrus placed his hand on Jacob's shoulder, "I think what K.T. is trying to say, bud, is that being with us is actually one of the safest places to be." Cyrus released Jacob's shoulder and made his way forward in the sewer tunnels, coming to halt in front of a ladder. "Think about it, back at the ship there were all those bots. Plus there's all the brainless cyborgs running around." Cyrus started to climb the ladder. "We can handle anything that this bucket tries to throw at us though."
"Only the insane equate pain, with success." -Cheshire Cat

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Raising an eyebrow at Cyrus's interpretation of his words, K.T. lifted his index finger as if to offer a correction, only to stop himself as another thought occurred. Rummaging around in his pocket, he retrieved a medium-sized paperback book titled "Being Polite For Blockheads", flipping through the pages until he found the passage he was looking for. Scanning it quickly, he nodded to himself, shutting the book and returning it to its rightful place. "Yes, that is precisely what I was attempting to say." he agreed, smiling in what he hoped was a reassuring manner. "Thank you for the clarification."

Ordinarily he would forego utilizing the ladder in favor of simply striding up the wall, but as they were currently in a sewer that option seemed... less than desirable. So up the ladder after Cyrus he went, making sure to activate the low-power setting on the V-0 first. The lines on the control knob glowed orange, humming lightly for a moment before fading into white noise.

He hardly needed the help climbing a ladder, obviously, but he wanted to be prepared for when they emerged topside.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:34 am

Jacob, twitching like a much smaller mammal, slowly nodded at the explanation.

"That sounds like a lie. But I'm going to choose to believe it."

Philly came up behind him, ascending the ladder behind KT.

"No safer ground than the eye of the storm." She said ominously.

Aboveground was... quiet. Well, not silent. Not in an eerie sort of way. Moreso in a way that was far too normal. The people of the city and the droids themselves had begun to pace about in their normal mien, as they had when the pirate crew had first landed at the docks. The difference of course was the cold blue flare of light that ran along the cybernetic enhancements of every man and woman in the streets.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:39 am

Cyrus peered from the slightly lifted manhole cover, observing the people moving about on the streets. The blue created an ominous lighting that did not at all comfort Cyrus. "Okay, we need to move quickly and quietly, go from here straight to the alleyway, so we can get out of sight. If we get spotted, it's bad news, it'll probably alert all of them and then we have to decide if we're okay with killing brain-molested civilians."

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 am

"Ah, that reminds me... pretty sure Machalai's security bots might still be looking for me." K.T. remarked, tilting his head in a thoughtful manner. "That may have passed, assuming my face isn't on anymore monitors, but..." Drifting off for a second, he tilted his head to the other side. He may have a means of better obscuring his face, but it was a tad oxygen-prohibitive as it had been designed with a different purpose in mind. "What category of quickly are we referring to, 'regular person' quickly or 'freak a regular person out' quickly?" he inquired, both assuming and hoping it was the latter but figuring that it didn't hurt to check.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 am

Cyrus nodded when K.T. told him about him being bot-wanted. It wasn't like the crew to keep a low-profile, so it was mostly just in-line with expectations. When K.T. asked about how quickly, quickly was, Cyrus raised a brow. "I can throw you, if you need me to."

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:21 am

"Not necessary. I was weighing the need for auxiliary obscurity support, but it sounds likewise unneeded." K.T. replied, raising a hand. "Anyways, you are in the lead, so I'll follow yours. Ready to move whenever."

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 am

There seemed to be no indication that their perusals from the manhole had been noticed. In fact, there seemed to be no great sense of alarm from any of the visible monitors or mechanisms of the city.

"Hey, a-are you guys okay? I've kinda... I'm kinda still hanging around here, and it's really tough with just the one leg?"

The words brought attention back down the ladder, to Jacob. Due to some degree of ladder shuffling he was at the bottom, below the other three pirates. He was hanging on at the bottom of the ladder, one leg wobbling...

... and a rat with glowing blue eyes hanging from the other, empty pants leg, staring up at the rest of them.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:39 am

Cyrus looked down to Jacob, hanging there, with a rat. A blue-eyed rat... That wasn't a reassuring thing. "Okay, we need to move. Jacob lose the pet, I'll hold the sewer cover while you get to cover, that way it doesn't slam and make noise." Cyrus propped the manhole open more, looking to K.T. and giving a nod.

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:54 am

K.T.'s eyes narrowed at the sight of the pest that had latched itself to Jacob's "leg". He briefly contemplated taking aim with his launcher and firing a spike straight at it to knock it away (and hopefully "shut it down", so to speak), but as it didn't seem to be doing anything right now he was worried that doing so would set it off. And also possibly hit Jacob. That would be bad.

When Cyrus motioned for him to go, he sidled past him on the ladder, peeking out of the manhole to get his bearings before making a beeline for the alleyway.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Jacob frowned, not quite understanding Cyrus' order.

"My pet? What are you...?"

He glanced down and about as Philly made her way up and out of the sewer, and spotted the rat.

He shrieked, scrambling up the ladder and clawing across the street at howling speed, ramming into a half-rotten box and losing his head in its contents. The rat fell of his pants leg, opening its mouth and sounding off a reboot squawk, and then scurried away.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:58 am

Cyrus watched each of the people before him make their way out of the sewer, but Jacob's efforts were a bit more... terrible. He observed Jacob's lodged body, as the rat escaped the scene. He looked around quickly, to see what he could see, then slid out from the manhole, replacing it as quickly and quietly as he could, before running to running to Jacob.

He grabbed the coward by the remaining ankle and pulled him the rest of the way into the alley, before coming to a halt. He let go of Jacob and began to pry the box off of his head. "How can you be so scared of a rat?" The swordsman huffed, looking at Jacob with a bit of disappointment. He hadn't interacted with him very much, or K.T. for that matter, but he found himself wondering if Jacob was useful. K.T. at least knew his way around enough Tech to make up for his rambling, but Jacob could blow everything for them because he couldn't get his nerves together.

Cyrus sighed, tossing the shreds of box to the side and sitting Jacob up. "Listen, you're with us now. I'm gonna have to carry you, because we need to move quickly. All you have to do until we get to the tower, is not scream at everything you see, got it?"

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm

A large sweatdrop fell across the back of K.T.'s head as Jacob made a mad dash to escape the rat, culminating in him needing to be rescued from a box by Cyrus. Exhaling quietly, he tilted his head to the side again as the swordsman lectured Jacob about freaking out. "Preferably you'll want to avoid screaming at everything you see even after we reach the tower." K.T. added. "Ideally the longer we can go undetected before finding Laura, or at least a lead on her current whereabouts, the better off we'll all be."

Which reminded him... Selkie had mentioned attempting to wreck the main tower once before, hadn't she? And they had one of those who had attempted to assist her with them now... "Speaking of..." he mused, turning to Philly. "You have already attempted to breach this tower previously, correct? Any idea on what we should be on the lookout for in or around it?" he inquired.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:37 am

"I-I'll try..." Jacob said, very unconvincingly.

Attention turned to Philly as KT levied his question. She cupped her chin in her hand, pondering ponderously.

"Hm. Breach is a strained word for it, lad. I tried to bare-fist mah way in, but we didn't get much farther than the elevator. Had tah tear the fool thing out and climb the shaft, on account of Machalai controllin' all what goes on in that steely lump. We got fair high, but then we -"

Just then, Jacob screamed shrilly, pointing behind the rest of them.

When they looked they would see a sneering, floating monitor droid, projecting Machalai's face down upon them.

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:01 am

K.T. listened intently to Philly's recount of her prior attempt on the tower, noting that the elevator would need to be ascended via the shaft rather than the elevator itself. Fine with him at least, vertical movement was hardly a problem.

When she was cut off by Jacob's shriek, a vein started pulsing on K.T.'s temple as he turned to see whatever had gotten the man's cowardice acting up again. "This had better be..." he growled, falling silent at the sight of a monitor droid with a face staring down at them. "... Good." he finished quietly, his eye twitching beneath his goggles. "You know, eavesdropping is a terrible habit, I've been told." he informed the monitor, internally preparing himself to try and dismantle it if it showed any signs of raising an alarm. Unless it already had, in which case... oops, damage was done.

----

Ushi raised an eyebrow behind her helmet, curious as to what would make Volg nervous about them meeting Selkie. K.T. wasn't with them, after all, so it wasn't like he was able to try something stupid like disconnecting her to see what made her tick. Assuming such a thing was possible. Still, she felt that asking about Volg's worry would only make things more discomforting, so she chose instead to focus on something else he had said. "You don't know about the outside world?" she asked, tilting her head. "How long have you been down here, exactly?"

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 am

Reaching out Adam sought to help steady the titanic figure of Volg as the larger man suddenly stumbled and keep him moving and making good pace. He shot a raised brow to Rin, but didn't comment. No harm, no foul, as the saying goes. Beyond which her intent seemed to loosen him up, not to startle or upset.

"Were you born in this can?" A frazzle-haired older man said thoughtfully as he peered at Volg from twin points of faded amber set within a sun-weathered face. The Nautilus seemed as though it had been around a while, maybe long enough for generations to have come and gone aboard it? Canton wasn't sure, but felt it was a point worth addressing.

"Are you a ship, too?" Vick asked, much less insightfully and a good deal more bluntly."

"You can't just ask that, jerk!" Leeroy said, rolling his eyes at Vick as though he were much more enlightened in regards to the careful standards of determining if people were ships, or AI, or whatever... or not.

Adam, for his part, kept up the pace, quietly listening to their questions and considering them only half-heartedly as he internally attempted to plot out all the ways his decision to split up could and likely would blow up in his face. There were a lot.

"If you're worried about us hurting her, I assure you so long as she deals in good faith your... friend... will be fine. If it is anything else; then you have two options. Be up front about your concerns, and I'll address them as best as I am able. Or get quiet and anxious and I'll quietly assume you're setting us up and treat you as such."
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 am

The swordsman grabbed a piece of the broken box from when Jacob had gotten stuck and flung it as hard as he could at the Malachi screen. Then Cyrus got very close to Jacob's face with his own, watched him for a moment after his unconvincing statement and then in a low voice said. "I will gag you, if I have to." Then he watched him for another moment, before slowly blinking and pulling his face away.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:28 am

Volg shook his head.

"Ah, no. Volg remembers nothing of his life outside of this ship. Woke up with dent in skull one day, very large... And was here. Inside of fish. All Volg remembered was name. And then there was the meeting with Selkie not long after. We were friends, very quickly. I was only other person she'd met not under the control of Machalai."

As Adam addressed Volg, the man's expression darkened a shade.

"It just... There is problem. Selkie is... She has tried to overthrow Machalai number of times. Each time, she gets closer. But still she fails. Volg is worried... Is worried that she will be frustrated. She is more focused on stopping Machalai than anything, and... She is Volg's only friend."

He looked over at the first mate.

"You would not hurt Selkie, would you?"

------

"It is hardly eavesdropping when I've never left the -"

The spike of wood cracked into the monitor, shorting it out. It went dark, sparks leaping from the broken surface.

And they heard Machalai sigh.

"You humans... pirates, especially. You never seem to figure it out that the monitor isn't a camera. I can still see and hear you, simple creatures."