Happy New Year, Collectivities!
Wishing you all a wonderful 2019!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

One Piece: New Romance Dawn (Part 2)

The realms where magic is the most prevalent. These are the realms of traditional fantasy but includes any setting where magic is the primary focus. Examples: LotR, Harry Potter, Dresden Files.

Moderators: Darkblade, Georgeanna

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Re: One Piece: New Romance Dawn (Part 2)

Post by khfan429 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:02 am

"I hardly need to be instructed to ensure that I have operational control." K.T. replied to Adam with an absentminded wave of the hand, though he also kept his voice low. "A vessel of this size isn't like a few security robots that can be easily and entirely disassembled, it's not like I can just go for a jog and take the whole thing apart. Although it might make for an interesting challenge..." shaking his head, he quickly resumed his previous train of thought. "Regardless. The existence of 'blind spots' in Machalai's watch such as this place suggests the existence of areas that are non-essential to the ship's overall functionality, else he'd dispatch remote forces for periodic examination and maintenance. Now let's assume that there is, in fact, a complication in my future efforts to commandeer the vessel. Even if we shut it down in its entirety, we would have an indeterminate but almost certainly lengthy period of time before needing to worry about things like pressure or lack of oxygen, which would give me the necessary time to assume total control without interference. If something essential gets damaged I can start cannibalizing materials from these non-essential areas. Plenty of muss, but very little fuss."

Then the conversation turned, courtesy of Cyrus, to accessing Selkie's missing info, and on this subject K.T. found himself a little less confident. "Theoretically, but not definitely." he answered. "I should be able to access the metaphorically 'locked' information upon gaining control of the ship, but any corrupted data may be beyond saving. Computer science is a difficult beast, and thus far my only real forays into the field have been the search probes and my limited success repairing MRX's subsystems. I've yet to determine if any of its corrupted data could be salvaged and it's a safe bet that this ship may prove more complicated."

AdamantSky
Scout
Scout
Class: Mage

Post by AdamantSky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:45 am

"Bwagh!" Laura choked and gagged on the smoke as it poured down her throat.

Wrenching his arms off of her throat, she delivered a hard kick to his remaining body to knock him a good distance away so she could gather herself--but when she landed on the street below, Laura found that her entire body suddenly felt like she was under water, like some invisible force was resisting her efforts. Moving took way more effort than it should, and it was getting worse.

"Geh...more poison," she growled, remembering Ryoshka and his gas attacks.

She could tell that her speed was shot right now, so catching him like she had wasn't an option. Her strength, however, maybe wasn't as badly effected. And furthermore, that tower--he had that robot protect it from her. It must be important to him in some way.

Placing her hands onto the corner of a nearby metal structure, Laura wrenched it up from the ship. Whatever its purpose was, she didn't know--but it was soon sent hurling high in the direction of the tower. Chasing after it before it had even hit with every ounce of speed she could still muster, she drew back her leg and once again attempt to cleave into the tower.

The structure she had thrown would impact an entirely higher section than her kick, so if that robot wanted to protect the tower, he would have to pick his target.

Desperado57
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Pirate

Post by Desperado57 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:28 pm

As the attack was blocked by, surprisingly, Sylvia's wooden spoon, she followed up with a counterattack. She quickly brought her arm back, her fingers curled into an open palm. Her body shifting along with the movement of her body, her eyes staring intently at her enemy in front of the two. She was no ordinary woman, and not to be taken lightly.

"I won't let you have your way, whoever you are." She yelled towards her. Shark Tile... She started to say, before thrusting her fist forward towards her enemy. As her arm reached its max length, a powerful shockwave started to emit from the force of her punch throughout the air, enveloping her enemy in the shockwave. At first, it only felt like wind blowing against her if she gets hit by this attack.

"True Punch! She yelled, as the force of the impact from her fist through the air traveled through the water in Lean's body, striking her hard and through whatever powers she's using to protect herself with. After the attack, she quickly sets her friend down next to her, keeping herself battle ready as she plans to take the offensive.

She did, however, gives a thumbs up to Slyvia, but keeping her eyes on her enemy. "I didn't know you were that strong, Slyvia."
The Outworld Cowboy

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Adventurer

Post by ThreadWeaver » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:03 am

The speakers crackled uneasily. There was a moments pause while Volg wrung his hands nervously.

:redbullet: I can take control of the ship if he's gone... I think. But he needs to be quarantined, not destroyed. Removing him entirely isn't feasible on a physical level. If you just destroy the tower, he'll go to a backup tower. I tried that once already, with Philly's group. There are a few ways we could divert his attention or imprison him but... Actually, it would be easier to explain if you were all here. Volg, can you bring them to visit me? One of the simplest solutions would involve that anyway. :redbullet:

Volg muttered something very noncommittal.

------

"Oh-oh... well, um, I'm not. Sorry..." Sylvia said. Though she'd blocked the blow, it hadn't been complete - there were blossoms of red where the claws had dug a bit into her shoulder.

Leanansidhe moved a hand to intercept Michiko's punch - a flawed move, as the true power of Fishman karate could not be blocked. It would travel through the water in her body, dealing damage regardless.

Except... it didn't. Leanansidhe continued forward, as though she'd felt no effect from the attack.

Meanwhile, from behind Michiko, came the clattering of steely spiderlike feet. Flan was approaching with a kitchen knife in each hand, eyes glazed over with blue light, carving towards the martial artist's chest with dual downward slashes.

------

Laura began the motion for the attack... and then she stopped, her muscles locking in place as though conspiring against her. It wasn't that they were slowed - her body was in full rebellion against her motions, turning her into a mid-air statue. Her own formidable strength was now her opponent. Whatever Machalai had pumped into her was not a poison - it had been something much more dire.

As she pondered this, a gauntlet slapped into place over her arm. Then another piece of armor, and then another and another, pieces of Dullahan flying into place over her.

"Do not worry, Lady Laura! I shall save you! Knightly Embrace!!" He spouted heroically. His armor glittered as he spoke.

High above, standing upon a saucer of the locust-like droids, Machalai watched the events unfold. The structure she'd thrown was being held aloft by a massive hand of the drones, which stretched from Machalai's back like a cloak.

------

Rin got to her feet eventually at their behest, still very downcast for a while. She clenched and unclenched her hands, ashamed.

"I... okay. Are you guys sure though? You all aren't as durable as me. I coulda gotten you really hurt."

Rasputin stood up at last, walking over to Rin with huge, deliberate steps. He stretched out his hand... and ruffled her hair.

"No one's durable. It's okay. We had fun." He said; again, slowly and deliberately.

Desperado57
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Pirate

Post by Desperado57 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:10 am

[Seeing her friend's arm wounded, she grinded her teeth firmly against each other. "Sorry." She said towards Slyvia. "Don't say you're not strong, though. I'm sure you are." Michiko started to speak, before hearing the familiar sound of metal tapping against metal, as she turned her head behind her. She saw Flan, with two knives in her hands, coming up from behind to swing at her. Confused, thinking that Flan was a friend, she spun on her heel around, facing Flan as she attacked her.

She quickly thrusted her arms upwards in a uppercut motion, crossing her arms as she connected her hands to the sides of the blades. Sharkskin Palm Thrusts! She said as she thrusts with her hands slapped the blades away from the attack. She quickly brought her arms back down to her sides. "Flan?! Why are you attacking us as well?" She said towards her.

"You, my darlings! There are so many brutish men in these pirate crews, I never get the chance to add to my collection."

The words chimed through her head that Lean said earlier, before quickly turning her head back towards the lady in black. "Did you do something to Flan?!" She said, her voice starting to weigh in anger.
The Outworld Cowboy

AdamantSky
Scout
Scout

Post by AdamantSky » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:40 am

Laura gritted her teeth as the armor encapsulated her, putting every last ounce of her immense strength into reasserting control of her body. The veins in her eyes gained prominence, her lips curling back into a snarl. She thought of all she had to lose if she didn't manage to break free, all that it could cost her. From deep within her very soul she wrenched forth the desire to fight against this foreign control and through it made one final grasp for freedom with everything left within her being.

"...Well, shite. I'm stuck," she conceded. "It can't even wiggle me fingers right now, what was that?"

It kind of felt like the sleep paralysis she'd been experiencing lately, only even worse.

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:02 am

"Uggggggggggggggggh, really?" K.T. groaned, deflating slightly at the prospect of a detour. "Inelegant as the prospect sounds, can't we just track down and smash all of his potential hiding spots? We know he's a Vegapunk creation, we know he's banned all outside materials, we know he's cyberneticizing the populace against their will, Laura's already fighting him which means we have a limited period of time until she either wrecks him herself or he inexplicably manages to apprehend her and creates a new wrinkle in the situation... I already put the V-0 on anticipating a dramatic confrontation! What more could we possibly need to discuss about this, and even if there was something, why does it need to be discussed elsewhere?"

"If you'd stop being petulant maybe-" Ushi began to say, freezing as the middle section of his complaints sunk in. "Wait, go back, what about Captain Laura?"

"She brought it up earlier," K.T. shrugged, gesturing at the speakers. "So either he's as invincible as they say and we shouldn't waste any time because this won't end well, or he's not and we shouldn't waste any time because it's going to end and I refuse to miss out. Unless I'm missing something?"

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:52 am

"Too right, Rasputin." He went to give the man a playful punch on the arm by way of showing his comaradarie... but then actually looked at Rasputin and decided maybe not? He knew that the guy wasn't as bad as he looked, but he also didn't have a deathwish despite his actions sometimes looking as though this was contrarity to everything about him.

"Everyone has their breaking point. Even you. We may not be quite as tough, but you aren't invincible either. And we're a crew. The way it works is we're all supposed to look out for each-other." He gave a stern nod as though he were providing some sagely wisdom as opposed to stating the obvious.

"Besides; usually when the chaos starts we're back on the ship putting out heels up and relaxing. This time we were right in the middle of it. Exhilarating, really." Erving reached out a hand to the girl, a beaming grin on his face.

"So thanks for the experience. Wouldn't mind it again in the future, though perhaps with a few less rude comments." He turned back to look at Sam who gave a grunt of acknowledgement and stepped forward.

"I have a niece... back home. Not as strong, physically, but... just as reckless and strong-willed. I'm going to tell you the secret that I always tell her, that her parents and every other adult hates young people knowing;" Sam leaned in conspiratorially and began to speak in a low whisper;

"You're still young. So long as nobody dies, mistakes aren't just okay, they're crucial. Just make sure to learn from them." He gave a wink moved away.

"And yes, actually. Fun." He added as both agreement and afterthought.

---

"Crap." Adam said inelegantly as pieces clicked into place. He pushed himself to his feet and started pulling his gauntlets onto his hands as his synapses started firing off like embers flickering down in the ash-plume of an active volcano.

"The captain is fighting what is, by all merits, effectively an immortal being and either she's going to stubbornly ignore that fact and somehow kill him anyway, sending him elsewhere and making him harder to deal with or else she is going to come up against a problem she is not prepared to deal with at this moment in time... an issue violence can't solve." He started motioning towards various crewmen who in turn began to get the message that it was about time to head off.

"Meaning we're on a ticking timeclock. We need to put a stop to this before the captain breaks this ship apart around us, or gets broken." he sighed and turned to give Cyrus, K.T., Ushi and Volg nods.

"I don't trust this talking tin-can of a woman, but if she is leading us into a trap we'll just have to break through it because we need to hurry." He turned and stared Volg dead in the eyes and said in his most commanding voice;

"Sir. Get up. We're going."
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout
Class: Warrior

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:27 pm

"It's a shame. We need all the info we can get, but we're strapped on time. Listen, the 4 of us can go on ahead," Cyrus said indicating himself, K.T., Adam and the distant Rin, "but we need to keep in mind, it isn't just Malachai we need to worry about. There are tons of robots out there, hordes of brainwashes pirates, then we have to fight the entire island and after that we have to deal with the ocean."

Cyrus crossed his arms, "We still don't even have an idea on how to actually beat him, outside of maybe choking him on power."
"Only the insane equate pain, with success." -Cheshire Cat

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:28 am

"Now when you say 'go on ahead', do you mean following Selkie or just heading straight to the tower where all the awesome stuff is currently happening?" K.T. asked Cyrus, raising an eyebrow. "Because I am enthused by the latter prospect, but not the former. Once again I feel the need to stress that whatever she wants to tell us should logically be just as communicable here as elsewhere, unless said alternate location contains some sort of interface panel that could theoretically be used to shut Machalai out. In which case, Ushi should be at least as capable of making use of it as I am. But you know what I can do, significantly more effectively than Ushi can? Fight robots. Which I would very much like to be doing, and which apparently is already happening. At the tower. Where Laura is likely making things more difficult one way or the other because she presumably does not have access to the same information that we have, a complication which stands a better chance of being alleviated there rather than here or elsewhere."

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:36 am

"Two teams. Ushi, K.T., you're being split up. We'll need one of you at each point. The tower and the probable trap-slash-deus ex machina. Rin, Cyrus; as the strongest here we'll also need one of you on the tower in case of complications, and the other headed the same way ready to run interference on whoever or whatever may try and get in the way. I'll go along with... Selkie? Mm. Selkie's plan up until it starts to seem even dumber than the rest of what's going on." He jad made plans. Complex, multi-faceted, over-reaching plans. And then immortal man-boats and excessive violence had messed them all up. So now what was there? Two options, two teams and a whole hell of a lot of tension in his shoulders.

"Honestly, old friend, the point is to take out Machalai so we DON'T have to fight the robots, brainwashed pirates and the ocean" Adam could see that pretty much everyone but himself wanted to go punch robots. And honestly; that was fine. Why not? Same old, same old.

"Questions, comments, concerns, complaints? No; good." He turned on his heel and addressed the room as a whole.

"Listen up; new plan. I need volunteers to come with me on the side mission to execute a plan given to us by a robotic woman who may be our enemy, which is something that should be making me feel ill but we've gotten to the point where it sounds about right." A handful of individuals began to stir and the navigator felt he was leading everyone directly into the stormwinds. It was not a good feeling.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:10 am

"Three teams," Cyrus added. "We need a group that can get the ship up and running, so that when this all goes down, we can bolt."

Cyrus pointed to crewmates, "Vick, Leeroy. Go with Adam. Starr, you and mouse head back to the ship and get it rolling. If you're quiet on the streets no one should notice you."

Cyrus sighed, "Hopefully Selkie's info will be useful, but like K.T. said we need to move. Laura is in danger of making our job harder, but first... Are there any Den Den Mushi? Or walkie talkies or something?"

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Rin nodded as the three spoke to her, wiping swollen eyes with one arm. Angela came up next to her, bumping shoulders with her friend.

"... Thank you. I'll think about that."

Then she ambled away from the three, not very clear on how to cordially break off from them so far outside her usual mien.

------

:redbullet: You know, I can hear what you're all saying so... it's a bit rude that you're being so suspicious of me? But it's also understandable... Volg. Lead them to me, please? :redbullet:

Rin clustered with the outbound group as bidden, Angela tagging along with her. The quieter fishgirl handed off a Den-Den Mushi to Cyrus, one of the number KT had developed for the group. The indication was clear that she would have the partner to that one.

"I'll go with you guys, I guess? I've been kicking a bunch of these walls, and I think I can bust through most of them if we get into any trouble."

Volg looked around to the group that had been optioned off to meet with Selkie. He still looked very unwilling, but packed a thermos of soup and began to lead them on down the maintenance tunnels. He seemed very nervous, the large man fidgeting and slouching the whole way.

------

Starr nodded, saluting Cyrus grandiosely in a mockery of the naval fashion. She began to round up the group for the return trip to the ship, included the very-thankful Jacob. After they'd assembled, they headed out.

------

"Only what I plan to do to any sweet, vulnerable maiden who finds herself lost and alone on this dreadful vessel." Leanansidhe said. She'd kicked off her shoes, revealing not legs but mechanical appendages formed to look like high heels. As Michiko watched they unfolded and reformed into four-pronged claws, like the talons of an osprey.

The woman leapt high into the air, suddenly redirecting mid-leap and diving towards Michiko with a kick, razor-sharp talons glinting in the artificial light of the city.

"Predator Pluck!!"

------

Machalai floated down to Laura effortlessly, his body fully reformed now.

"That, my dear captain, is just a sample of the Thrall system. I won't bore you with the specifics, but within that cloud was a countless number of tiny extensions of myself. They infiltrated your body and got into your muscles, taking complete control over your body. I know all about you. I've been watching you and your entire crew for months, Captain Aldin. I knew your Tekkai made you impregnable from exterior attacks, but you are completely defenseless against more... creative methods of assault."

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:07 am

"Guess I might as well volunteer for the possible-ex-machina group." Ushi said with a sigh. "After all, it isn't like anything is going to stop K.T. from just doing whatever he wants anyway."

K.T. stared at Ushi for a moment, his expression largely neutral with the exception of a raised eyebrow. "... If you get access to any information systems, kindly send me any sort of relevant data on Machalai that you can." he requested, apparently having decided against refuting her statement. "Power readings, output efficiency, weapon systems, effective range, preferred tactics if such things are coded... whatever, anything you find relevant, you have such expert judgment after all." The two then shared a curt nod before turning away, Ushi hopping over towards Adam while K.T. turned to the rest of the designated tower group.

"... Alright, so I know the surface (and therefore the tower) is up, but does anyone have more specific directions than that?" he asked.

AdamantSky
Scout
Scout

Post by AdamantSky » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:52 am

"I really have to figure out some way around that," Laura noted, still testing to see if she could move. She, at the moment, couldn't.

Well, in truth, there was something she could try. This guy had told her just a little too much about how that smoke had worked, and if it was just paralyzing her muscles, then there was one part of her body she could still move, thanks to her latest round of training--but right here might not be the wisest time to try it.

"So, where we goin'?" she asked.

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:24 am

Cyrus watched Starr and her theatrics exit stage left. He listened to the banter between Ushi and K.T. and gave Rin a small nod when she said that she would join their group. He knelt down, taking the Den Den Mushi from Angela. "Thank you."

Cyrus stood and looked to Adam, "Here, take this so we can keep in contact." He tossed it to the First Mate. Volg had been commanded by Selkie. He wanted to believe that they could trust her, it would make this situation less bleak. She wanted to give them information, but she also wanted Volg to transport them somewhere they didn't know about. The whole thing came off as a trap and half the crew wanted nothing to do with the situation either.

They had no idea how their Captain was doing, she could be injured or worse... K.T. asked how they were supposed to find her location, he looked up to the ceiling. "Well, we could try to follow the shock waves, but I haven't heard one recently... Our other option is to follow the general destruction."

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:35 am

"That wasn't exactly what I meant." K.T. remarked, scratching the back of his head. "I'm sure finding the tower will be simple enough when we're above-ground... relatively speaking of course. I was more concerned with reaching the relative surface itself. I, uh... I may not have been paying especially close attention to the path my group originally took to get here." The sound of an amused snort from the other group caused the gadgeteer's eyes to narrow, but again he seemed to fight down the urge to comment. "I could always just try to construct an upward path through rigorous deconstruction of the ceiling, but that seems like an unnecessary waste of time and expenditure of energy. And hopefully it will remain so."

Pad_Mayhart
Scout
Scout

Post by Pad_Mayhart » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:44 am

"This is a switching station, right?" Cyrus responded to K.T., looking towards the broken down systems. "That means they used to run power from here to surface or the surface to here, something like that. All we have to do is follow the cables."

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:03 am

"Right!" Vick and Leeroy cried out in chorus, rising to move to Adam's side.
---
Mouse gave a slight nod and stepped nearer to Starr; pleased that he was given a job he actually felt somewhat capable of accomplishing... As long as no robots or mind-controlled citizens suddenly turned on them. He wished in his heart of hearts he had found more time to try and take self defence lessons from some of the other crewmates, but so many of them lacked restraint or the scarcest concepts of how to teach another person something.
---
Adam snapped a hand back and plucked the den-den mushi from the air as it was thrown his way, calling back over his shoulder to his old friend;
"Good call. Take care." He offered, turning to follow after Volg and looking over the assemblage which had gathered around him and his goal. A couple of brutes, a genius and a guide... not much, compared to the assault squad, or the ship crew... but their goals were well-defined and they would be capable of doing what needed done.

"And yes, Miss Selkie; I'm well aware you can hear me. I simply don't care at the moment. If we make it through this and you turn out to actually be both helpful and well-intentioned I will apologize profusely, but until such time... I'm stressed, tired, achy and surrounded by people who I damn well intend to keep safe. So I don't have the energy to spend playing nice when frankly I don't trust you yet." He tucked the communicator into a pocket and called back to the group;
"Quick-like, folks. If this is a solution I want it handled soonest. And if it winds up being a trap I want to spring it quick so we can be done with it sooner."

khfan429
Traveller
Traveller

Post by khfan429 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:11 pm

"... Sound enough." K.T. said with a nod, moderately embarrassed at not having considered the idea himself. Lightly smacking the side of his own head as if expecting to shake something loose, he turned his attention to the now inactive consoles, attempting to trace their power sources to the quickest exit. Haste was of the essence for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that Ushi was apparently deadset on arguing his points without actually arguing the points and he had little doubt she was angling to shut down the entire operation before he got so much as a glance at Machalai.

Pragmatically speaking of course, that was the preferred option... but it was also the boring one! Also technically it was only pragmatic in an ideal situation in which her group wasn't being lead into a trap, something else had to be done just in case. And if said something else also happened to be something that he personally found greatly enjoyable, what was the harm in that?