Happy Summer Solstice, Collective! Or... is it? Did anyone else feel that?!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Wizarding World at War (IC)

The realms where magic is the most prevalent. These are the realms of traditional fantasy but includes any setting where magic is the primary focus. Examples: LotR, Harry Potter, Dresden Files.

Moderators: Ares [Darkblade], Athena [Georgeanna]

Ares [Darkblade]
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Necromancer

Wizarding World at War (IC)

Post by Ares [Darkblade] » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:04 pm

The beach was empty, the sky overcast and threatening to rain. The sea crashing into the land with an insistence that spoke of the changing of the tide. This was the place they had flown, a single tawny Owl, settling on to a piece of old driftwood. It’s gaze fixed upon the sea, unflinching to the sea spray, it would do it’s duty. That was something instilled in delivery Owls from the moment they hatched till the time the first took flight, so it waited for the one who they sought.

Beneath the waves a man was apparently swiming in full clothing, their head seemingly distorted by a bubble. They were presently in conversation with something that was even more absurd. A creature that looked like a mismash of fish and man, though quite unlike the drawings of ancient myth. Their skin grey and mottled with scales, this breed of merfolk while related to those of more pleasing visage were hardier and born to toil in the harsh cold of the Atlantic. It didn’t seem pleased with what the man was saying, had their words been spoken on land they would’ve made little sense.

“We must swim free, we are not minnows.”

The man seemed to roll his eyes, this was seemingly not the first time he had to explain his position on the matter.

“I have already debated this with your chief, while the muggles continue to wage war above and below the sea the ministries wish for your people to not venture far from shores.”

The man thought of the strange new contraptions the muggles had developed, vessels that could sail beneath the sea. Not exactly a feat beyond the wit of wizards, but for muggles it was certainly an achievement having no magic to ward off the sea’s desire to embrace them utterly.

“We can’t, our food lies beyond the sight of your dry lands. We will deal with these strangers to our rightful kingdom, your ministries need not concern yourselves.”

This one was certainly beligerent, and likely would want to skewer him upon it’s trident if he wasn’t here on official business. Not that it mattered, their chief was in agreement, thus he was here to ensure the word had reached all the clan before he could call it quits.

“Your chief has agreed, I doubt you would wish to embarass them with disobediance. We’ve already stated as well the ministry will ensure you and your young will be cared for within the boundaries of our enchantments.”

The Merman considered that, looking to poke some more critism but it just wasn’t working. This Wizard was going to keep badgering him till he agreed, so their shoulder’s slumped in defeat.

“Very well, it shall be as the chief declares. But I want it known, I find this abhorent to our way of life.”

The wizard bowed his head in acknowledgement, he couldn’t exactly complain that the merfolk were grumpy. Wizards weren’t exactly happy with war time decisions either, keeping the muggle world from finding out was stepping on a lot of toes. Or in this case, fins.

“Trust me, you aren’t the only one to find it so. Muggles are quite inconvenient at the best of times, but I’ve done my duty I’ll leave you to return to your young.”

The merman spun around once in a sort of farewell salute, it might be unhappy but it did have manners. The wizard did likewise and they departed, the merman to the depths and the wizard to the surface. Well it wasn’t that bad an task, merfolk did listen to reason if you offered them something in return. They weren’t as stuffy as the centaurs, no, they were the soul of courtesy compared to those stubborn mules. As much as their thanks was welcome after the fact, the cost that stubborness had been too high to forget it so easily. Good beasts and beings had been lost, and he himself found out just how painful it was to pick metal out of his legs.

The thoughts of that rather dreadful campaign followed him, as be walked through the surf. A swiss of his wand parting the waves to left him through, another to dry his clothes, a third to remove the bubblehead charm unblurring the air around him. He noted the owl, would seem this wasn’t to be the end of his shift. It extended it’s leg to him as he approached, giving him a nip on his index finger as he retrieved the letter.

“Kept you waiting, I suppose I deserved that.”

It hooted before flying off, it’s task completed as he unrolled the parchment.

'Mr. Hartigan, you are being ordered to head to Aisne River on the Western Front. A situation has arisen, and we are dispatching as many Owls as we can spare. You are to take command, and do what is required to ensure the Statute of Secrecy if upheld.’

Well that was very informative, well he at least knew where he had to be. In a very vague sense of the word, well compared to the last time when it was just stating the Western Front. Spent a week trying to find the place where a bunch of Rhinemaiden’s had gotten hold of muggle munitions believing it contained gold. Took even longer to persuade them to let him and his German counterpart have the munitions back. While the were basically like Merfolk, Rhinemaidens were very obcessed with gold, to the point thinking went out the window. It was a good thing they got them as well, German muggles were working on an explosive that could detonate when wet. For those underwater boats of their’s most likely, but they tend to explode when they come in constact with water. So had those maidens got the case opened, well it would’ve been easier to find them.

Pulling out a map he looked at the area of Aisne, this map was enchanted to follow the flow of the war. Blue representing the British and their Allies and Red for the Germans and their allies. The colors moved across the map as their respective armies did, it was his own invention, which he came up with after the incident with the Rhinemaidens. With a bit of wand waving he got the map to reply the last few days of movement, the front had moved out from and back to Soissons which would make it there that he would learn of what situation arose in the area. Stowing the map into his pocket, and his wand into a pouch up his sleeve he turned on the spot vanishing form the lonely beach.

-----

Soissons, a large French city that rivaled the Aisne capital of Laon in scale. It looked nothing like it had in peace, though to Hartigan that meant nothing. He had never been here before the war, but it was a shell of any semblance of former glory. The ground pocked where shells had hit, buildings on the verge of collapse, and the movement of troops told the story even if personal experience did not.

“You’re late..”

Bemused by the notion he had a time table to maintain, he turned to find an obvious wizard waiting for him. Had they aparated to the spot the moment he had appeared or had they like the Owl waited for a Wizard to come along? Either way they hadn’t bothered to wear anything resembling muggle conventions of clothing. Guess they liked wearing robes too much, though silly considering they’d have to explain their odd garb to the soldiers had they been watchful.

“Aisne is a large area to be directed to, how about writing a city name. I could’ve been half way to Laon before finding out the Front had returned to Soissons. Considering I’ve been spending the last month rounding up Atlantic Merfolk to be up to date with the troop movements.”

The ministry wizard brushed that aside, falling into step with Hartigan apparently uncaring to the notion the muggles might find him oddly dressed.

“Nevermind, you’re here now. Others have been hard at work on this while waiting for you. The French advance was a disaster, more so than they’re letting on. That isn’t our problem of course, muggles gotta win their own battles. Our problem is that the local regiment encountered something, I say something, cause for all the memory charms of the oblivators we can’t seem to find a coherent description of it.”

Hartigan thought about that, a few creatures could become invisible. It apparently wasn’t a dementor as every wizard on the frontlines quickly learns what to look for in muggle accounting of a dementor attack.

“So I’m here to lead the hunt for an unknown creature, first time for everything. How many will I be working with?”

The passed a group of soldiers who didn’t seem to even notice they were there, it would seem they were already undergoing memory modification. Shame as he’d have prefered a first hand account for himself to work with, he hoped someone was at least taking notes of what they were erasing.

“A handful of people, most of those here will be reassigned once they’re done cleaning up the initial mess. If we can free up more Owls, we will do so, as I rather not have this become another Nessie.”

The Loch Ness monster, the most famous Kelpie in the Wizarding and Muggle world. Didn’t care one bit about who saw it, and enjoyed evading ministry attempts to capture it. Been going on for so long now, that he expected that the kelpie was going to forever be a blemish on the statute of secrecy. Well it kept things interesting as the muggles had such outlandish ideas about what Nessie could be, some in part thanks to memory modification charms. But yes, it wouldn’t do them any good to have a creature out there attracting muggle 'monster hunters’ after the war was over. Or even militaries trying to capture it, they could probably get the British Prime Minister to hand over the creature, but the news of it’s discovery would be hard to hush up.

“Here you are, they’re inside. I’ve a few dozen more soldiers to clean up before I get to call it a day.”

The ministry wizard walked off, he wondered what position they held in the ministry. Considering they’re here on clean up duty, but perfectly able to summon Owls and assign them missions. Likely someone high up who wanted to get their hands dirty, so a decent person if a bit grumpy. Hartigan entered what appeared to be a simple shed, but knowing the magical world it didn’t surprise him that the room he entered was massive. Muggles being attended to by oblivators and mediwizards, a small group though were looking quite out of place. Cause they weren’t running around the place, and for the most part knew better than to wear wizarding robes to a warzone.

“I assume you’re the ones who have been trying to get to the bottom of this. You might be already aware of it, but I’ve been assigned to take command of this hunt. I am Alexander Hartigan, Auror of the British Ministry of Magic. ”

He wasn’t sure how many might recognize the name, didn’t really care either. It wasn’t like he was here for adulation, he was here to find out what this thing was and how to deal with it. Then probably get reassigned to herding gnomes, the life of an Owl was never dull.

Serafim
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Nobility

Re: Wizarding World at War (IC)

Post by Serafim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:42 pm

A blonde woman looked up from the second table to his left, its polished teak heaped with parchment. One page was animate, whispering into an artificial extensible ear with a pulsing lead that led to the side of her own head. Possibly the only Central OWL who had made their way to Soissons, Claudia was focusing on the witness accounts. Many contradictory, she had spent the last five hours listening to each and then plotting them into a more complete picture of the encounter. There were still stacks left to plot in the complicated network of coloured string and metal stands, but she felt she was making good progress. She flicked her wand with a murmured charm and the parchment mouth froze mid-word.

Claudia was not one of the witches wearing their full magical regalia even in this secured OWL area; her outfit was a muted pastiche of whites and browns that made her look like nothing so much as a schoolmarm. Possibly a nurse sent to collect war orphans from devastated towns close to the front, though that would hardly explain her accent.

Rising from her seat, she offered Alexander her hand in a brisk handshake. "Claudia Maier," she introduced herself (the first name pronounced like the weather). "It is good to see you so recovered, Herr Hartigan. We can be sure the hunt is in good hands under one of the Thirty." She gestured back to her document-strewn table, "I have most of the witness reports that have been recorded. I haven't finished massaging them yet, but I can brief you when you are prepared."
Thank you Forge for your amazing work!

Athena [Georgeanna]
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Thief

Post by Athena [Georgeanna] » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:08 pm

A small cubicle made of cloth and piping enclosed two chairs, a small desk with a quick-quotes quill hovering over a pad of plain paper, a small pensieve, a wizard, and a scared muggle. The muggle looked straight ahead, though he nervously darted his gaze towards the wand also lying on the counter. He was dressed quite plainly, as muggles were prone to do, with no distinguishing features other than the terror shining through his bright blue eyes. Juxtaposing the antsy and manic temperament of the man, the wizard sat calmly watching him, her legs crossed neatly over one another.

Quicker than the man could notice, she quirked her lips into a smirk and then carefully composed her features once more. Despite the frustration she, or any obliviator for that matter, was having with witnesses and soldiers, the confidence made its way back into her brain—it always did. And why not? Jameson Williams was not just a name to be thrown around. She was one of the top of her field. At least that was what she was telling herself.

Some obliviators moved quickly, choosing to directly extract memories and take a gander in the pensieve. While that would eventually be necessary, it would only be right to let the poor dears have a go at telling their story. Jameson cocked her head, portraying the sympathy that she honestly did feel for the traumatized muggle.

“I’m just here to understand what exactly happened,” she coaxed, softening her tone to calm the muggle.

His mouth opened, then closed. Whatever he had to say certainly wasn’t coming to the surface quickly. Legilimency would be quicker. She narrowed her eyes slightly in frustration. One last try at diplomacy, then the wand would have to be necessary.

Brightening her tone slightly, she leaned forward making sure that her grin was more attractive than not, “Please sir. The quicker you tell me what happened, the quicker this will all be over.”

Bright eyes again darted to the wand on the table and the floating quill. The muggle’s breathing became rapid as he suffered. He seemed on the verge of collapse when Jameson finally reached out and grabbed his hand, which he eagerly squeezed in return—grateful for any type of comfort. She smoothed her thumb over the back of his hand soothingly, but he was too far gone. His grip went slack as he passed out.

Muggles and their feeble constitutions. Jameson’s face seemed to melt into a scowl that seemed more natural than the convincing show she just put on. Getting up she crossed the small cubicle to the desk and grabbed her wand. The alder wood fit in her hand like an extension of her arm.

She noiselessly began the Legilimency incantation—she had used it so many times since becoming an Owl that the actual words hardly seemed necessary anymore. Yet, she found that the scenes were confused and muddled. Where was the creature exactly? What was happening?

A small crease appearing between her eyes, she moved on to extracting the memory completely. As she pulled out the memory, it seemed to turn in on itself becoming an all-together undesired consistency. Though it shimmered, it was not—normal looking. As she dropped it in the liquid below, it didn’t appear to show anything. How could it show nothing? Absolutely nothing, but confused garble.

Brushing back her hair she stood above the muggle again trying her hand at Legilimency. Nothing of value. Old childhood memories rose to the surface like bubbles in a champagne glass, but the one of value remained tainted. Angering, she obliviated any memory he had of her or the questioning and called someone to deposit him elsewhere. She was done with him. Besides it was time to meet this leader that couldn’t be bothered to be on time.

Jameson strode out of the cubicle, plastering a calm look on her face as she joined the others in the group. As the new wizard approached, she noted that he was one of the thirty, as was she. She should probably remember him, but Jameson didn’t make a habit of making friends—a habit that saved her a lot of pain in Somme. But, sometimes noble people held some dark secrets. She knew that all to well. So she kept her guard up as she watched the blonde German woman introduce herself. Seemed her name was Claudia after all—Jameson thought she had had it wrong the entire time she had been stationed here.

When Claudia was finished, she waved her hand towards Hartigan, smiling brightly as if she were truly excited to see him. “Jameson Williams, obliviator for the British Ministry of Magic sir. Glad to have you on board.”

Kogan
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Adventurer

Post by Kogan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:31 pm

“Easy there…shh…” He spoke softly to the wounded man lying on the makeshift bed, a canvas screen pulled around for privacy. “Just relax, you’re going to be fine.” He continued, slowly pulling shards of metal from the wounded soldier, using magic to keep him sedated while he pulled each shard manually. Each time he pulled another piece of shrapnel from the wounds, more blood. He’d grown used to the sight of blood and all manner of other bodily fluids, but that didn’t make the procedure any more pleasant. Shrapnel was difficult to deal with, and he found magic only made things worse. Summoning the shards from the wounds usually caused more damage on the way out, as well as risking them peppering the wizard performing the charm.

He muttered the incantation to seal the wound from which he’d just removed another shard, it was a slower process to do it manually, but it posed much less risk to the patient, as well as the healer. This one was lucky, the wounds were not severe enough to risk death, though without aid, infection would’ve likely set in. He dropped the last of the metal shards into the ceramic mug he’d been using, before sealing the most grievous wounds with magic. The rest, he cleaned with a solution of dittany, both to aid healing and leave behind at least some evidence of injury, rather than risk a miraculous escape that may arouse suspicion. He slowly undid his sedation spell, bringing the man back to consciousness “There we go. You’ll be fine now, though I’ll have to hand you off to a colleague for debriefing, all right?”

To the muggle, he appeared as just another medical officer in the British Army, the man’s dazed and semi-conscious mind not bothering to question the situation as one of the obliviators arrived to ‘speak’ to the man. James hid his distaste, the idea of interrogating innocent muggles still recovering from what could’ve been lethal injuries, then scrambling their minds afterwards did not sit well with him. The full effects of performing so many memory charms on so many people had not been fully researched, on either the victim or the obliviators. Some, he felt, seemed to forget that these were real people, with real lives, and were content simply to do half a job. Though the war was wearing on all of them he reminded himself. Still, it was something to consider in future, if they didn’t just toss him in Azkaban when he got back to England.

He removed the bloodstained gloves he wore and disposed of them, a mixture of dried and fresh blood marring his uniform, his hair untidy and his face unshaven for several days. He’d been too busy focusing on the wounded, he’d almost forgotten to eat and sleep himself. He was in the process of cleaning up when the newcomer arrived. Hartigan? His brow furrowed, the name seemed familiar, though he couldn’t place it, sure he knew he was one of the thirty, but he was certain he’d heard that name before then.

The first to introduce herself, Claudia, was one of the few Germans working with the OWLs, though more than that he couldn’t say. He hadn’t said more than two words to her since he’d arrived, though the impression he got was of a cold and distant woman. The other one, called herself Jameson, British like him, though several years younger, and seemed to have a high opinion of herself, or at least her abilities. He hadn’t spoken to her much either, though he’d seen her sweet talking some of the others.

He smiled, finally remembering where he’d heard that name before. Hartigan, he’d been at Hogwarts at the same time as James, though he was a few years older, from a different house, and kept to himself mostly. “James Miller.” He spoke, introducing himself with a slight nod, “Healer from St. Mungo’s, though I probably don’t have a job to go back to there anymore.” He chuckled, “Pleasure to meet you.”

chaosDesigner
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Adventurer

Post by chaosDesigner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:49 am

The rookie auror paced behind his desk, a notepad in one of his hands and the other resting on his chin, with the index finger tapping repeatedly. He was obviously deep in thought, and would probably not notice if anyone addressed him.

This one saw a blur, but this one seems to have blacked out... he thought as he read and re-read his notes. And these memories are all jumbled.

He sat back down at his desk and started browsing through the drawers, eventually pulling out several files detailing various fantastical beasts. He placed those on the desk and started reviewing them as well, comparing them to the notes in his left hand. This doesn't make any bloody sense.

He was so determined to solve this mystery and, much like with his other objectives, he seemed to start obsessing over it a small bit. It was just in his stubborn nature to dutifully stay on a task until he completed it, even if he had no chance of doing so.

He also wanted to do well on his first mission. He was fresh out of the academy, with a remarkable performance, achieved by his drive and perseverance, so his superiors thought he would be useful here. He was not going to disappoint, and he was going to reach a conclussion.

However, frustration overtook him when he finished reviewing the files and found nothing useful. He dropped his notes on the desk and placed his hands on his head in a frustrated gesture. "What is this bloody mess?" he muttered in annoyance as he shook his head.

While complaining, though, he noticed the people arrive at the place and widened his eyes in surprise. "That time already?" he muttered to himself as he stood up and fixed his white button-up shirt, then pushed his glasses farther up the bridge of his nose with his index finger.

He looked at the others introducing themselves. The woman named Claudia was a complete unknown to him. He had never seen her before, and he was so absorbed in his work that he hadn't really thought about directing a word her way. Jameson was different story, though. He was sure he had seen the manipulative woman somewhere before, but he couldn't quite place where. James, just like Claudia, was a complete unknown for the same reasons.

He stepped to the side of his desk and got closer to the crowd forming around their new leader. He stood before Hartigan firmly. "My name is Walter Maes, sir. I'm an auror, like yourself, fresh out of training, sir." He spoke calmly, but firmly.
Chaos has been designed!!!

Fireynay
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Werebeast

Post by Fireynay » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:59 am

One hand swept across her brow, leaving yet another smudge of dirt, while the other gently smoothed down the trembling neck of the chestnut mare she was tending to. "There now, that wasn't too bad, was it?" she asked, examining the neat pink lines that had replaced the jagged cut across the mare's back, "You're going to be just fine." The mare had gotten caught up in some barbed wire out on the battlefield during the most recent battle. Superficial scratches covered most of her body but her back had taken the brunt of the damage.

The woman checked her watch then let out a very un-ladylike curse and gave the mare one last pat before rushing out of the stable area. Late, she was [i[always[/i] late. She ran across the camp towards the shed that was acting as their base of operations and stumbled in through the door, just managing to stop herself from falling completely flat on her face by catching hold of the door jamb.

Breathing heavily she straightened up as much as she could whilst clutching at a stitch in her side, "S-sorry I'm late!" She panted, a truly apologetic look on her face, "I got caught up healing one of the horses, it would have bled to death oth-" As she had made her way further into the room she had caught sight of her faded reflection in one of the windows and she stopped mid speech to pull a face. Deft fingers pulled her wand from her pocket and with a quick wave all the dirt smudges and strands of straw that had lodged themselves into her hair and clothes disappeared, her hair was fixed and the wrinkles in her dress smoothed themselves out. "That's better."

She took a deep breath and started again, "Sorry I'm late, I was helping over in the stables. The time got away from me! I'm Elsie, Elsie Clarke. Who is it that in charge of this assignment? For that matter, what is our assignment? My contact wasn't very clear when he told me about the meeting."
Thank you Forge for the amazing set!

Ares [Darkblade]
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Ares [Darkblade] » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:41 am

Taking in the numerous oddities that comprised his assignment, he pondered how well they’d be able to work together. Though the more important questions were more about how he’d be able to manage them, people were the more irksome aspects of the job.

“Right now, gathering information on that.. Miss Clarke.”

He looked around at the muggles still undergoing debriefings and treatment, probably best to move this away from their ears. No point adding extra memories for the obliviators to modify.

“Let’s move this get together, over there should be sufficient.”

The magic he wove was subtle, adding a room where there had been only a cloth hiding the outside. Muggles wouldn’t notice the difference from the outside, and even inside they’d only notice there was no longer as much natural light coming from the behind the cloth. The room beyond he’d created matched his office back at the Ministry of Magic, it took a bit of effort but might as well make things comfortable. It was a simple room, a few desks and filing cabinets though these ones weren’t filled with the normal files of suspects. Instead they were all pertaining to his duties as an OWL, he’d have to file away the report on the merfolk eventually.

“Come, sit, oh and drop the files on that desk. I’ll get to them soon enough I suppose.”

Once they were situated, he drummed his fingers across the desk.

“Ok, my duties are simple. To lead you all in this investigation, and to discharge our normal duties as OWLs. As we will be unable to just sit back and let those things slip, while we figure out what happened here.”

It was the first thing he decided, they would not be dropping everything as this could just end up a wild kneazle hunt. They wanted to give him a squad, he’d take this bunch, save the ministry time and effort.

“But as we’re all getting situated on this specific incident, I myself have only what I’ve been told. The battalion outside were savaged by an unknown creature, from early reports and the scale of damage it managed to inflict. I’d say it’s a XXXXX danger level magical creature, though I hear we’ve had problems finding out just what it is.”

He looked at the obliviators, this was going to be a tough case if they weren’t going to be able to find anything of substance in the memories of witnesses. But then he wasn’t going to turn away their ability to aid him in other ways, save him having to worry too much about people seeing their activities. Considering one of them was a bit of a klutz, and had form for blatant violations of the statute of secrecy.

“So lay it on me, what have you found out so far?”

Addressing those that were a part of the relief force that proceeded his arrival, medical diagnosis and memories would help ascertain much. Even the failures they had in identification might help, as it would eliminate species they knew off hand.

“And as Ms Clarke is here, she might even be able to hazard a few guesses. Having a bit more experience in the field of magical creatures.”

It wasn’t exactly the basis of his investigation that she’d know of any creature, if it’s stumping those that proceeded the formation of the team he wasn’t expecting instant results. She’d be more useful in figuring out patterns to the behavior than knowing what it was that did this. And in tracking it when they found something to go on, which likely meant someone else out there had to get attacked.

Athena [Georgeanna]
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Athena [Georgeanna] » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:57 am

Jamie’s ears popped as Hartigan finished constructing the room around them. She craned her neck to take in all the details surrounding his office—never could know too little about a person. Noticing the filing cabinets, Jamie found herself wondering whether the files inside were successes, ongoing cases, or failures.

Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain. It was the mantra that made her choose obliviation as a profession, and the same one now that prompted her to wish she could see inside of Hartigan’s mind. Fingers twitching, she held herself back. Legilimency could be discrete by nature, but she doubted that the leader of the small group would be so inexperienced as to not notice an intrusion. All the same, Jamie mulled over whether she trusted her new leader as he addressed the group.

Despite trying to listen attentively, Jamie found her attention slipping as she heard details she had already gotten in bits and pieces from others. She had put the puzzle together a while back, and had just been waiting for Hartigan fill in the blanks—but it seemed he had nothing more to say aside from the fact that he, in fact, would be leading them.

“So lay it on me, what have you found out so far?”

Jamie waited for a beat before responding. There was no need to seem overly eager, but as no one was responding, the obliviator figured she wouldn’t look as meek as the rest of them.

“Well, sir,” she said, clearing her throat gently. “Not much, frankly, on the memory side of it. Throughout the countless muggles and others that I’ve interviewed and minds that I’ve probed, the only prevailing memory is fear. The only thing I can compare it to is some of the memories I’ve encountered after some type of memory modification was done, but even that comparison is a bit of a stretch. The pensive I have is hardly of any help either. The memories, for a lack of better words, are clotted. Textures of the memories themselves seem to be compromised. I’ve even dabbled in legilimency directly, and no dice. All I see is fear, unrivaled in anything I’ve seen before.”

Fireynay
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Fireynay » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:14 am

Elsie was one of the first to move into the newly created room without batting an eyelid, even though it was a pretty impressive bit of magic. She took a seat in one of the desks closest to the front of the room and sat attentively whilst waiting for everyone else to filter in.

At the first mention of the creature her eyes widened, then narrowed into a puzzled frown as she mulled over several possibilities but she didn't want to jump to any conclusions. She looked up at Hartigan in slight shock upon hearing her name, she had been so deep in her own thoughts by that point that it was taking her a moment to gather herself enough to speak. Before she could properly compose herself, one of the others spoke up, an obliviator from the sound of it.

The frown returned as more details were revealed, but she was still slightly confused, "Are you saying that the creature itself caused the memory modification? There's plenty of creatures that create fear in their prey but as far as I'm aware none of them are capable of memory modification as well. I'm going to need details on the damage caused as well. This is the first bit of information on this incident that I'm actually receiving. Is there a possibility that more than one creature was involved?"

She was starting to feel more than a little under prepared for this assignment. Everyone else seemed to know what had happened whilst all she had been told was to be at this meeting as she may be able to help.

Ares [Darkblade]
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Ares [Darkblade] » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:15 pm

“So memory’s are out of the question, well that certainly makes things a tad more difficult.”

There was always that hope that all they needed was the right witness to deal with such cases, but more often than not muggle minds tended to be jumbled. Though this was a bit more than just muggles not being able to cope with the stresses of the magical world, no this looked to be a case of memory modification. The creature itself could possess some ability to make itself ‘forgettable’, or some produce a toxin that messes with the brain, perhaps it could have an owner who was proficient in memory modification.

Though that last one seemed unlikely, a sole wizard modifying that many memories quickly enough to not allow their own presence be noted was akin to a fairy tale. Sure there had been times the Ministry managed to obliviate entire sections of the muggle community, but that was still an affair that required all hands on deck. But then he’d be a fool not to consider there being a group out there, like that plan to use dragons in the war, that required a fair sized group of obliviators to keep secret. But the Ministries would know of that when they came to putting this team together, he’d have to come back to those thoughts in time.

“Well it’s something to keep in mind, if this creature can modify memories even so obviously we might need to figure out how to protect ourselves from losing valuable information. Rather not have one of you lot find it, then forget where you put it.”

He chuckled, but it was a real threat, wizards weren’t immune to memory modification spells. Thus it could happen, and that was something he’d have to prevent. Something that could record information without memory of it’s own, well there was one simple solution for the time being. Pulling out a drawer where he kept a supply of quills, very useful ones as they didn’t need a hand to write. They were typically used by reporters, hence their name “Quick Quotes Quills”, but he found them apt for filling in his reports. Just a quick flick and they’d write what you want them to, true the creature could destroy the parchment. But it was better than nothing at all, occlumency would probably help, but he wasn’t exactly sure how good the other’s might be at that and rather not find out it doesn’t work when confronting it.

“These will help a small amount, recording information in a format unaffected by the mind.”

He noted that there was a bit of tension brought about by the lack of information they had to work with, understandable. This war wasn’t exactly going the way anyone wanted it to, and just running around in the dark playing hide and seek with an unknown creature among the shell fire wasn’t his idea of a fun time.

“I suppose we ought to check the battlefield the muggles had their encounter, hopefully it leaves tracks. Or left a bit of itself behind.”

Pulling a piece of paper out of a folder that was busily sorting itself, which fluttered in apparent disapproval. But he needed it for coordinates, among other things, so displeasing his filing system was just going to required. His wand was in his other hand as he swished, and with a flick there carpet they stood upon seemed to shimmer.

“That should suffice, though someone might complain about there being a carpet out here if we take too long.”

Turning the carpet into a port key was the simplest way to deal with transportation, and having the military coordinates of where the battalion was meant to be helped make that a reality.

“So look around, see anything interesting let me know. I give use about ten minutes before someone sees us out here and tries pointing their guns at us.”

Well he could give them more time he supposed, but that would only be required if there was anything of true value to study. The battle had apparently been quite brutal, bodies were left behind. Charred rock, not unlike a dragon’s breath, bullets spent and unspent littered the place. He noted one thing, there was no attempt to eat the corpses, so why attack the muggles? Defending it’s range? Sheer blood lust? He doubted he’d get his answers from looking at the dirt.

Fireynay
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Fireynay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:53 am

The familiar feeling of a hook behind her navel as they were transported to the battlefield didn't phase Elsie in the slightest. She was well used to this particular method of transportation and landed gracefully, looking around at the devastation that surrounded them.
“So look around, see anything interesting let me know. I give use about ten minutes before someone sees us out her and tries pointing their guns at us.”
"If we really don't want to be seen, why don't we just disillusion ourselves?" She asked, before heading off to take a look around without waiting for an answer. Ten minutes wasn't a long time, and if that was all she had, she needed to make the most of it. Her first port of call was a rock at the far end of the field that looked to have some distinctive char marks on it.

As she picked her way across the scene of the battle, she paused to have a closer look at what was left of one of the bodies that had been left behind. There were no identifying features left of the poor man. From the look of the lacerations, he seemed to have been torn apart by something with some pretty impressive talons, yet despite all the damage there didn't look to be anything missing. Elsie was reminded of her rabbit that had escaped when she was a child, it had been killed by a buzzard but she had disturbed it before it could begin to eat. Her first thought was that the creature here, whatever it was, had been disturbed before it could begin its meal. That theory was quickly discarded as she resumed her progress though. Amongst those that had burnt to death and those who had been killed by human hands in the battle already in progress were more bodies in similar states to the first. Elsie was confused, there weren't many animals who killed multiple prey but didn't consume any of them.

Her keen eyes picked out some unusual tracks in the mud as she passed over a bit of ground that was clear of bodies. "Does anyone have a camera? We could do with these prints being captured." She called out to the others investigating, as she pulled out her wand and waved it in a complicated set of movements that resulted in the creation of a perfect casting of one of the clearer tracks. Examining the cast closely, Elsie frowned. She had never seen anything like this. It looked like the perfect handprint of a young child, no older than ten, except for the long claws protuding from the fingertips.

Conscious that their time was running out, she carefully cast a protection charm on the cast and slid it into her bag and made straight for the charred rock. Just as she had suspected, the marks were extremely similar to the distinctive flame marks of a Hungarian Horntail. It made no sense though, there was no evidence that Hungarian Horntails had ever made it to France. They weren't even kept in any of the Dragon preserves hidden in the Alps. "A photograph of these scorch marks would be helpful too." She called out, "I'm pretty sure they only match one known species in the world, but it would be useful to be able to compare them back at the office."

Athena [Georgeanna]
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Athena [Georgeanna] » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:31 am

A setting melting away and becoming another was disorientating. Despite having used port keys and apparating for a majority of her life, Jamie had never gotten used to the feeling. This time especially seemed to affect her, a hand immediately flying to her stomach while she used the back of the other to press against her mouth. Pull it together Durand, she ordered herself, trying to look a bit less pathetic. Setting her face in a stony mask, she quietly suffered as she did her best to listen to Hartigan over the dull roar in her ears. Snap out of it, Jameson, you’re embarrassing yourself.
"If we really don't want to be seen, why don't we just disillusion ourselves?"
The other woman had a good point, though Jamie hardly was capable of opening her mouth to contribute to the situation. To avoid being scrutinized any further than she probably already was, she decided to walk around. The carnage was astoundingly horrifying. A pang of sadness rang through her as she looked around, thinking of all the families now suddenly without a loved one. Emotion, though, wouldn't be helpful, thus she tucked them away, instead focusing on keeping watch for any muggle or otherwise who might pose a threat while Elsie went to investigate further. She kept her wand out at the ready, confundus charms waiting on her lips.
"Does anyone have a camera? We could do with these prints being captured. We could do with these prints being captured…A photograph of these scorch marks would be helpful too.
Turning her head, the obliviator jogged over to where the magizoologist was examining. Reaching into her coat pocket, Jamie silently thanked herself for casting an undetectable extension charm before she took this job. It wasn’t technically within the confines of Ministry of Magic statutes, but otherwise, they’d be without a camera. A smirk made its way onto her face as she found it and pulled it out.

“I got it,” she said, snapping a few pictures of what looked like a handprint. How curious, her inner monologue continued. After getting several shots, she moved on to the scorch marks and got several shots of those as well. Satisfied, she carefully put the camera back in her pocket. It rustled as it fell down and nestled itself amongst the litany of other objects she had hidden away in case they were ever in need of them.

Pulling out her wand, Jamie went back to scanning the area for any potential threats. We'll figure out what did this to you, she internally remarked towards the souls who were lost. I promise.

Ares [Darkblade]
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Ares [Darkblade] » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:56 am

“That might work, if it weren’t for throwing shells down on anything that moves.”

He’d considered it of course, even a Muggle could make out an outline if they took the time to get a good look. Best to just do this quickly, less time here, less chance of being spotted to begin with. That and well, he just didn’t want to go through the hassle of disillusionment. Too much effort in his book compared to the overall benefit, maybe at night it would’ve been better. But then they’d need light to see by, really ought to see about investing in a hand of glory. A candle held within it would give off no light to any not holding it, but they were a dark magic artifact. Not illegal in the strictest sense, but not something an auror was likely to want to be seen with.

“Hmm, indeed the scorching is interesting.”

While not a magizoologist, he had at least studied care of magical creatures to N.E.W.T standard. Dragon’s breath, though the exact species eluded him. Though he knew of magical methods to create flames akin to the breath of a dragon, some fool even put such an enchantment on their broom for a speed boost in quiditch. Set his robes on fire, and landed himself infront of the improper use of magical artifacts department. But there was also fiend fire, a spell of immense power, dark stuff that. Though he was pretty sure this was not that, as it consumed everything and was very difficult to extinguish.

The dead weren’t of much use though, even if raising the dead wasn’t a taboo, the inferi created didn’t come back in a state that one could question them. Would be useful if that wasn’t the case, but alas the dead stay dead. So he decide to just scan the carnage, and thus get a gist to what was frankly a rather one sided affair. The muggle firearms didn’t do much of anything apparently, and that’s not including those that never got a chance to fire at all. So quick and rather brutal, not exactly a natural state of mind for most creatures. But the proof was here, something did this, and it was going to be his job to tell those too lazy to come and help what it was.

-----

With the Magizooligist satisfied with their photos, Hartigan was ready to reactivate his portkey. Returning to the room that was his office and not, well it was more complicated as it wouldn’t be useful to have a copy of the room. More it was a sympathetic room, where if he put a file away, it would be put away in his actual office. There were flaws of course, as people could be in his room while he was going things within the room they were now in. That tended to get irksome fast, once an idiot tried to move the table in his room. Leaving to a shoving contest, as he preferred his table to remain where it was.

“Well I think we’ve gathered a bit more evidence than the memories have given. So let’s go about using our skills to deduce what we can, while this mission is a priority I doubt taking our time to get it right will be a problem.”

Considering the effort it was going to take to deal with the conflicting evidence, not rushing was the best action. It was likely this beast was going to strike again, where? No idea, nor any on when. The one thing he kept coming back to though was this creature was bred to have these traits, which was very much against magical law. It was hard enough to get permission to breed magical animals as is, let alone experimental breeding like this suggested. But he was unwilling to put that forth as the answer yet, too soon to jump to conclusions.

“Oh and be ready to deal with other Owl business, I doubt we’ll get a break from that just cause we’re on a job already. You’re dismissed, I’m sure you’ve things to keep your busy.”

Like developing the film for one thing, writing notes, researching papers to confirm the suspicions. The general things people do to isolate what evidence actually meant, he of course had paper work to do. Not just on the Merfolk, but on this issue and initial thoughts on his team. Then updated his map to the current course of the muggle war, as broad strokes were good but details were always better.

-----

Over the course of the next week, the team had lost personnel to shifting needs of the Owls. And the general attitude there was likely to be little progress to be made on identifying and finding the creature. Typical of the MoM, to react so erratically to a situation, made their job harder. Well that and having them deal with a unicorn heard, poor things were in the path of an allied war plan. The female Owls regardless of their profession were the tasked with the actual herding, Unicorns for some reason grew more and more distrustful of males as they grew older. He was thus left to the task of keeping the muggle’s from noticing the operation, simple enough with the application of muggle repelling charms on the surrounding area and the route they intended to herd the unicorns along.

“Just another dull day, can’t complain as I’m not getting shot at.”

Indeed, it was definitely an upside. Though all the preparations they made before proceeding did make the whole thing rather mundane, which one could say never sat right to one like himself. All he had to do at this point was flick at any shell that either side might lob at the other, indiscriminate shelling was the biggest issue with Owl operations like this. Muggles just couldn’t wait to fight their enemies, so shot at nothing in the hopes of hitting something. Paranoia was likely the culprit, waiting for months on end for the enemy to strike, one could likely get a bit trigger happy when they spotted something completely innocent.

Though his thoughts were once again on the investigation, the film had made rather interesting pictures. Nothing probative beyond their initial presumptions, but it at least gave them something to compare with any new mystery beast attacks. He noted not beast attack had occurred when the Germans had taken to moving back to their positions in the area. So it wasn’t the beast’s home range, so why had it gone there? A question he had numerous possible answers for, and none were getting him closer to the truth of the matter. So it was he stood there, occasionally flicking his wand to freeze the detonation device muggle shells had. It was easier to explain away an apparent dud or unstable shell when they exploded later, than shells turning into smoke or birds or any numerous other methods some had tried in the past. If anything that only made the job harder, as they did have to operate in a manner of secrecy and muggles would notice those blatant magical methods.

Fireynay
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Fireynay » Tue May 08, 2018 7:55 pm

“Oh and be ready to deal with other Owl business, I doubt we’ll get a break from that just cause we’re on a job already. You’re dismissed, I’m sure you’ve things to keep your busy.”
With a short nod Elsie left the office, quickly glanced around and then pivoted on the spot disappearing from the field and reappearing seconds later on the doorstep of a little thatched cottage. A slight wave of her wand was all that was needed for the door to swing open and she stepped in to a dark and slightly cluttered hallway.

Three doors led off the hallway, one at the far end opposite the main entrance that hid the staircase to the only bedroom in the cottage, which in turn led to a small but functional bathroom, an addition she had made herself not too long ago. The two other doors faced each other halfway down the hallway, the left-hand door led to a spacious kitchen and the right-hand door led to a cosy sitting room, each room just as cluttered as the hallway. Elsie chose the right-hand door but didn’t stop to sit down. Instead she wove around the abundance of furniture and stopped in front of a book case at the back of the room, her wand still in hand.

She tapped a small knot in the grain of the shelf and stood back as the bookcase slid forwards and then to the left, revealing a small doorway. Before the bookcase had even stopped, Elsie moved forward through the doorway and entered her study. Created from wizard’s space this room was her pride and joy. There was none of the clutter that was present everywhere else in her home, everything was completely organised and in its place. She needed calm to do her work and this space was arranged just to her liking.

She sat down at her desk with a sigh and pulled out the cast from her satchel, carefully placing it on her desk with a frown. She was completely baffled by it and its very existence worried her. Nowhere had she ever heard of a creature in existence with limbs like this. Elsie forced herself to look away and concentrated on writing detailed notes of everything she had seen. The scorch marks, the states of the bodies and the track marks were all written down along with any thoughts she had relating to them. She wanted it all down before she slept and lost the memories, then she could rest.

A week later and Elsie was more than glad she had taken the time to write everything down before doing anything else. The next morning she had been called away to head up the team dealing with the relocation of a unicorn herd and that had been taking up nearly all of her time. It had taken several days just to work out the logistics of moving the relatively large herd. Things were finally on the move but it was still slow going. The unicorns didn't seem to grasp the urgency of the situation and due to their nature there weren't many ways to legally speed up the process.

As they moved with the herd, Elsie's thoughts regularly strayed back to the evidence she had gathered. She was trying to puzzle things through and think of anything that might give her a clue as to what they were dealing with but was only drawing a complete blank. She couldn't wait to finish getting the herd to safety so she could go back and look more closely at the photos and see if anything stood out with fresh eyes.
Last edited by Fireynay on Fri May 25, 2018 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Athena [Georgeanna]
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Athena [Georgeanna] » Sat May 12, 2018 2:28 pm

The photographs were interesting; Jamie couldn’t deny that. However, she couldn’t ignore the wriggling in her gut that told her witness testimony might be a vital part of this case, if only she could figure out how to get it from them. The pensieve worked pitifully and legilimency did little better. Frustration wasn’t a sensation she was accustomed to and it was difficult to stomach standing among the fallen on the battlefield. She was all too happy to get away from the scene when Hartigan reactivated the portkey and she felt the dizzying rush that always discombobulated her—at least it was different sensation than the guilt gnawing at her.
I’m sure you’ve things to keep your busy.
Jamie’s mind immediately jumped to the books and resources she had littered around her flat on matters of memory charms and the like. There must be something hidden amongst the pages and scrawled words that would give her some clarity or some guidance on what to do. At the very least, she’d be able to figure out a way, perhaps, to comfort those too terrorized to share their memories.

She could help look over the photos, but that wasn’t her expertise and she would likely be more of a burden than a help to Elsie, who seemed to be more than proficient at her craft.

“Of course,” she finally replied, following Elsie out of the small office and back onto the floor. Yet her footsteps took her not to where she knew her tomes to be, but rather where muggles were still lined up to be questioned.

She shot a look over at one of her colleagues who quickly gathered one of the survivors up and brought them over to the small cubicle where Jamie had spent many a frustrating hour hitting dead end after dead end.

“Hello, there, I’m Jamie and I have a few questions for you. I’m just here to understand what exactly happened.”
~

Time passed slowly and more confusingly than before for Jamie. Hopeless is not exactly what she’d say the situation was on the memory front, but not helpful either. When a memory had promise of setting up properly in the pensieve or coming in clearly, it would congeal just as before and return to the mess of confusion and fear that she had become used to seeing so many times. She did however, become very adept at making calming draughts for those most disturbed and frightened, a testament to her proficiency in potion making. In her own small way, she felt she was helping somewhat.

But now she was here, trudging around after unicorns and helping them move out of the way. She couldn’t help but feel a little impatient. For days she had been diving into text after text about memory modification with little success and helping the last of the patients who couldn’t cope with what they’d seen. This was taking time from that, though she understood the importance of it. It just seemed odd that after losing team members, that the ministry should send out their significantly smaller brigade after some stray unicorns, rather than have them continue to investigate the proportionately higher threat of the unknown beast.

At the very least, they were pretty to look at, and had a calming presence about them, their eyes intelligently looking around as if they knew more than the Owls guiding them along. Jamie lightly placed a hand on the mane of one unicorn as it passed and it looked back at her with sad eyes. War affected all things, and that fact was becoming steadily more apparent.

Ares [Darkblade]
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Ares [Darkblade] » Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 am

There wasn’t much for him to do, the women would be doing the hard work of herding. Joys of unicorns, weird to see such gender bias outside of muggles. But then that was the sort of issue for another time, right now there was also how best to welcome the new arrival. As another witch was being added to the roster to make up for the losses they’d sustained over the last few weeks. Magizoologist, hopefully that wouldn’t put Elsie out too much, but then it wasn’t his choice who got assigned to him.

“Took your time, you’ll want to go into the woods a bit deeper. The others are already herding the unicorns.”

How he’d noticed her apparating into the designated area, a zone heavily enchanted with anti muggle charms, she’d never know. But then he wouldn’t be much of an auror if he couldn’t keep his wits about him. He was pointing the direction, no point showing her the way, as he’d not be welcome among the unicorns and he had his own duty to deal with.

“Once we’re done here I’ll properly brief you on our mission.”

It was safe to say that the MoM weren’t telling everyone about the mystery they were investigating. Secrets for secrets sake, well it also helped ensure that if someone was responsible for it they could use false information to trap them. But that was still to be determined so he shelved that idea, flicking his wand to freeze another shell as it rained down on the area, a dull time to be had for him.

-----

The unicorns were restless, the shells weren’t helping matters at all. But that didn’t appear to be the only issue, they were stamping and looking around. It was as if they were expecting something to descend upon them, but that couldn’t be, as what hunted a unicorn?

PurpleShadows
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Post by PurpleShadows » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:58 am

Lowenna headed deeper into the woods. She'd nodded at the wizard who greeted her, and gone straight into the woods. She was thinking hard about her breathing and hiding her trembling hands.

She could hear whispers and Lowenna knew her new colleagues weren't far away. She cast her Patronus and watched as the silvery Persian cat vanished into the trees.

"Lowenna Cardynham, just arrived. Your colleague sent me this way. I'm a few metres away from your voices. How do you want me approach?"

While she waited for someone to respond, Lowenna listened hard. She had cultivated a keen sense of hearing, which she had trained fiercely to the sounds of magical beasts. She could hear the unicorns. Something wasn't right, but then they were sensitive creatures and they were bound to know that the world was being torn apart around them. Trying to swallow her anger, Lowenna tied her hair up in a bun. An angry witch was the last thing they needed while trying to herd a bunch of unicorns. She checked her robes weren't going to get underfoot, checked and rechecked her hair, and kept a firm grip on her wand. Her last boss had taught her a charm for blocking an animal's way without hurting it. It still depended on excellent reflexes and quick spellwork though. Another set of deep breaths. Lowenna was ready.
ImageImageImage
:redbullet: :orangebullet: :yellowbullet: :greenbullet: :bluebullet: :pinkbullet: :purplebullet: