It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

A New Moderator Appears!
Join us in congratulating our newest recruit!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

⸀A⌟fterlife ⸀S⌟olutions; Phoenix Branch: OOC and Interest Check

Where all OOC threads for RPs that will take place within the Worlds of Balance will go.

Moderator: Georgeanna

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Adventurer

⸀A⌟fterlife ⸀S⌟olutions; Phoenix Branch: OOC and Interest Check

Post by GamerScribe » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:27 pm

:blackbullet: The Genre: Urban Fantasy, Modern Fantasy, Office Light Suspense and Horror.

:blackbullet: The Themes: Workplace interactions, exorcism, spiritualism, magic and investigation in a modern south-western American setting.

:blackbullet: The Setting: Phoenix, Arizona, The United States of America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Reality OS1-a.

:blackbullet: The Concept: You are an employee with ⸀A⌟fterlife ⸀S⌟olutions, a consulting company dealing in the investigation and management of matters related to ghosts, wraiths, demons and varying other undead and spiritual beings in a modern day setting where some people acknowledge and interact with the paranormal, the supernatural and the just plain odd whilst most go about blissfully or blatantly ignorant.

Your position falls somewhere between the Ghostbusters during the middle portion of the first movie, and Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden in most of his books; you know your stuff, barring things going bad, you are capable and competent but your skills are only likely to be acknowledged or called upon by those 'in the know' or those who are really desperate for help.

You are not police. You are not government sanctioned. You get a paycheck for what you do that is a bit beyond minimum wage and boasts some hazard pay, but ⸀AS⌟ is lacking the investment backing of some more official organizations so do not expect clean-up crews and helicopter extraction teams if things go bad. Most people will think you are a con artist or a lunatic if you explain what you do for a living and as such you will typically be forced to live by the age old adage; you break it you bought it. For that very reason the first goal of most of your jobs is to try and avoid a confrontation. To convince a spirit to pass on, to trap and exorcise a demon, or to lead whatever other entity you run into away from people and property which might be damaged. With your second being to completely obliterate anything that presents a real threat to yourself or others and cannot be brought down by peaceable measures.

You accomplish either route primarily through The seven S' of Exorcism;

Shrive, Seal, Spice, Sear, Steel, Silver, & Spell.
Shriving is simple; you listen to the spirit and help them find peace. If they're religious you do your best to perform whatever last rites they need to absolve them or find someone who can. If this proves ineffective or if one encounters a more formidable or wicked spirit this term can also be used to apply loosely to the incantation of religious exorcism practices. To this end ⸀AS⌟ offers discounts on ordainment lessons as well as optional workshops with religious experts of various faiths every few months.

Sealing a spiritual entity is often the best way to deal with them if they can't be talked down peacefully. Trapping a demon or poltergeist in a reliquary or a Solomon trap or variant ward or runic circle of power, or burying the remains of an improperly laid to rest wraith. ⸀AS⌟ understands that not all spirits are the same and should you have difficulty with determining whether or not a variant of sealing would work for your particular case support researchers are available 'round the clock to assist if you simply contact your branch office.

Spice is way more important than it sounds. Salt can ward spirits away. Certain incenses and oils can pacify, confuse, weaken or wound them. It's a handy tool on any job. Seeing as the majority of this sort of article are reasonably inexpensive at least for the standard quality ⸀AS⌟ typically has quite a selection at hand available with requisitions.

Sear is straightforward; fire is a purifying element and while it may seem like a tv trope there is real power in burning bones or belongings related to spirits. Not to mention it works wonders when dealing with the corporeal undead. ⸀AS⌟ advises caution when dealing with undead in this matter as fire spreads quickly and can be a hazard to oneself as easily as to the objects, remains or entities it is used upon.

Steel is carried to defend oneself. Knives, guns and various more unique articles are kept in the requisitions office at headquarters and can be checked out when necessary. Every ⸀AS⌟ employee must file with the government to make their handling and ownership of such items legal. If an employee wishes to carry personal armament upon themselves during a workplace activity they must make the company aware of it by registering it with the records clerk at their branch office.

Silver is one of the best tools against malevolent spirits there is. It is a purifying agent which can be wielded against the incorporeal to bind them, or to harm them, and it acts as a bane to those fearsome undead which possess bodies of their own. It is a tool which can pierce and wound demons their ilk. It even works wonders on a few non-spiritual threats which ⸀AS⌟ attempts to limit their involvement with.

Spells. They are real, they are out there, and a small handful of folk can manage them. Even the skilled usually only have one big trick, or a bunch of little ones based around one core aspect or ideal, but there are a handful of experts who can manage more. Magic is the brute manipulation of reality. Spellery is the careful application of reality manipulation through pre-concieved words, gestures and symbology. Whenever possible ⸀AS⌟ seeks to have their employees cast spells, rather than employ raw magic to a situation.
:blackbullet: The Fine Details: I am looking for 3-5 players to take on the roll of consultants working for the newly opened Phoenix Branch of ⸀AS⌟. You can be a transfer from the Nevada office, a new hire who has been doing the same sort of work privately or elsewhere for a while, or an intern who just awakened to their spiritual sight and is in way over their head.

I will GM, filling in for all the NPCs you interact with as well as your contacts at the office and the various specters and apparitions you encounter. I'll try and throw a wide mix of ghosts and ghasts from varying mythologies and the like and each one will hold to at least a portion of it's atributed mythos(Meaning if you know your mythology you may know of a weakness that a particular entity has that isn't among the Seven S'. Or, if you play someone who knows that sort of thing I may link you info on the types of beings you interact with.

I intend to make this somewhat episodic, with each case having a clear beginning and ending varying ways depending on how players decide to go about the preparation, investigation, confrontation and wrap-up portion of each job. That way we can stop after the first case if people had fun, but are no longer interested, or we can leave it open to start up a new case, potentially with some of the players rotated out and new people joining depending on continued interest.

Each case will involve at least one Entity; typically a spiritual being of this or another plane, but sometimes a regular old monster mistaken for the sort of thing you specialize in. Each case will also have at least one item, object, or mcguffin which you can take with you and keep that could prove useful in future cases(of course, there's also plenty of stuff that isn't intended to do so which could come in handy later, as well as plenty of just random stuff about that you can take but not really have a good use for. Just like real life.

As we go I'll also be keeping a sort of Achievement Board going, listing the accomplishments of people's characters such as 'most ghosts busted' or 'successfully came back from the dead' or 'funniest line in case 1', 'most creative way to deal with a demon'. That kind of stuff. This will mostly be just fluff, but some of the marked achievements will actually gain you benefits such as your character's continued interaction with the supernatural gaining them visions of things to come, or an increased affinity for dealing with poltergeists.

:blackbullet: The Rules: Be grown-up civil human beings to one another and treat each-other with at least a modicum of respect. Try to have fun, and try not to ruin someone else's fun. The goal is at least a post a week from everyone, I'd love for us to crush that and post daily or every two days, but I'm asking that we try for one post a week because frankly things have been slow around here as of late; so we'll shoot for that and just let me know if it will take you an exceedingly long time to get a post up.

:blackbullet: The CS:

Code: Select all

[b]Full Name:[/b] 
[b]Age: [/b] 

[b]Appearance:[/b] (An image, or a solid description please.)

[u][b]Personality/Mentality[/b]_____________________________[/u]
[b]Good Qualities:[/b] 
[b]Flaws:[/b] 
[b]Fears:[/b] 
[b]Overall Description:[/b] 

[u][b]Experience[/b]______________________________________[/u]
[b]Investigation:[/b] 
[b]Self-Defense:[/b] 
[b]Spiritualism:[/b] 
[b]Magic:[/b] 
[b]Other:[/b] 
:blackbullet: Complete CS Example:
Full Name: Overseer Martin Cleary

Appearance: A short man with cropped brown hair and pale powder blue eyes set beneath a brow which seems intent upon upholding a perpetually furrowed state. His face is wrinkled, and etched with signs of stress and exhaustion which have long since become his default state, however much to the confusion of his fellow employees who never see him as anything but serious there are deep-set laugh lines on either side of his face which hint at a fulfilling life outside of work. He dresses most commonly in a simple gray suit, alternating the color of the button-down shirt which peeks from beneath his suit-jacket, and offsetting it with an ever-changing array of striped ties.

Personality/Mentality_____________________________
Good Qualities: Mr. Cleary is a capable and hard-working individual who focuses keenly on whatever task is presented before him.
Flaws: Mr. Cleary's social skills are lacking. He can be narrow-minded and stubborn.
Fears: Mr. Cleary has a fear of birds. Whenever one is present he will do his best to vacate it's vicinity. If one were to fly at him he would drop what he was doing and run unless lives were on the line.
Overall Description: While he's certainly no charmer the esteemed Mr. Cleary is a hyper-efficient worked and gifted at the finer minutia of the job. He isn't anyone's best friend, persay, but he's typically someone you'd want to have you back in a crisis.

Experience______________________________________
Investigation: Mr. Cleary has a government recognized private investigator's license and six years of expertise. He has successfully solved 9 non-spiritual-related cases and many more in his specialized field.
Self-Defense: Mr. Cleary has a green-belt in karate as well as an concealed-carry permit for a personal firearm and over 300 hours of practice logged at a shooting range, as well as a hunting license from the fish and game administration and numerous successful hunts for deer and elk to his credit.
Spiritualism: Mr. Cleary has the sight and is capable of seeing spiritual entities.
Magic: Mr. Cleary has no practical magical ability. That said; he is aware of and capable of utilizing some lesser ritual lore for calling up guide spirits.
Other: Mr. Cleary has a class a commercial driver's license, allowing him to operate tractor trailers as well as hauling trucks with trailers of a certain weight limit.
:blackbullet: The Start: Case 1. Specter at the Seven-Eleven.
Recently ⸀AS⌟ has taken on a woman named Jennifer Santiago as a client. Age 34, Hispanic, works as an administrative assistant for a law office downtown. Miss Santiago has reported the activity of an ethereal entity operating out of a burned down 7/11 corner store. She claims the spirit in question appears intermittently, frightening herself as well as several coworkers and locals by moving objects and creating a terrible clanging, as of chains. In recent days the entity is said to have become violent, attacking several passers-by and leaving them with aches and pains but no visible wounds. Police have been called to the area three times, each time dismissing the situation as a prank or else as an undisclosed drug-related incident. It is the belief of Miss Santiago that should this activity persist it is only a short while before someone winds up dead.

:blackbullet: The Follow-up: If you made it this far; thank you for reading through that mess, and thank you doubly for any potential interest. If you aren't interested, that's okay, too. Not everything is for everyone. If anyone has questions, comments, or concerns you can message me here in the OOC, via PM, or on the collective discord.
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: ⸀A⌟fterlife ⸀S⌟olutions; Phoenix Branch: OOC and Interest Check

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:27 am

Player Slots:
1 :greenbullet: Filled-Brooke
2 :greenbullet: Filled-Forge
3 :greenbullet: Filled-Thread
-------------------------------------
4 :greenbullet: Filled-Shea
5 :greenbullet: Filled-G
Last edited by GamerScribe on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 am

Hey, you know "intern who's in way over their head" is my writing fetish. Sign me up?

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:03 am

ThreadWeaver wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 am
Hey, you know "intern who's in way over their head" is my writing fetish. Sign me up?
Heh.

I do, indeed.

Welcome to ⸀A⌟ fterlife ⸀S⌟ olutions.

Shea
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Post by Shea » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:52 am

Super intrigued!

I'll throw my hat into the ring, if you'll have me. I'm not sure what's happening with some of my other RP's.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:14 am

Shea wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:52 am
Super intrigued!

I'll throw my hat into the ring, if you'll have me. I'm not sure what's happening with some of my other RP's.

Welcome, Shea.

By all means, happy to have you along.

I'll hold a spot for you.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:56 am

All 5 player slots now Reserved.
Reservations will stand for two weeks time, after which openings may re-open pending further query.

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:17 am

Full Name: Daisy Holt

Appearance: Image

Good Qualities: Skills include hiding, voice impressions, and a knack for looking at the world realistically. She's also a pretty skilled liar.

Flaws: Emotionally fragile, paranoid, and occasionally moody (i.e., she does not always get along well with her co-workers).

Fears: Spiders (5/10), heights (10/10). Daisy also is afraid that one day she'll end up like some of the spirits she's had to deal with; angry, disenfranchised, and fighting with someone at AS.

Overall Description: Daisy has a love of dark muted colors and prefers clothes that are fairly pragmatic. She also has a penchant for scarves. She compulsively rearranges things; her clothes, items on her desk, etc. Her sentences very rarely start with the word, "hey."

Investigation: She has been working for Afterlife Solutions for approximately two years. She's seen about two hundred cases; of those only about half involved any actual paranormal or preternatural involvement. Of those roughly hundred cases maybe two-thirds required her involvement as a Professional at AS. She has cleared somewhere between 20-30 legitimate cases.

Self-Defense: Daisy's self-defense experience comes from the course provided by AS when she first began working for them, any refresher courses, and on the job training--nothing prepares you to kick butt like having to fight for your life, right? If she moves to Phoenix for this job, she'll be looking to enroll in a Krav Maga class or something of the sort.

Spiritualism: Daisy has always been able to see the Supernatural that exists in the world.

Magic: It's a thing that exists; this she knows.

Other: Daisy graduated college with a degree in Human Communication (no, it's not the same thing as media communications so don't talk to her about your journalism major); her primary focus was on rhetoric, but she learned interpersonal communication skills, small group communication, and how to read people (or anything that vaguely resembles body language).
I reserve the right to make changes, as necessary, to the above sheet until the start of role play.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:06 pm

Full Name: Yin Conrad Pho

Appearance: A woman of average height, pale complexion and slender build. Ms. Pho has straight dark hair, an expressive rounded face, and pensive, slanted eyes that betray her Chinese heritage. She has a nervous, caffeinated demeanor - she knows she's the newbie, and she's working herself a bit too hard to try and make up for it. She has a mole set above the outer corner of her left eye, just to the left of her brow. The cuticles of her fingers are slightly gnawed. She hasn't gotten comfortable enough with her office surroundings yet to wear anything other than the agency standard uniform when on the job.

Good Qualities: You won't find a more stalwart friend.
Flaws: Ms. Pho doesn't give up easily, and that stubbornness comes at a cost. She frequently works herself too hard trying to make success happen, and has trouble realizing when abandoning a lost cause - or a collapsing, dangerous scenario - is the best choice.
Fears: Ms. Pho strongly dislikes driving vehicles, preferring to walk or be driven to a location. This means she has been late to work several times. She has a phobia of deep waters. She can't stand to see a door slightly ajar, and will either open it or close it fully if she sees it that way.
Overall Description: Ms. Pho is focused, diligent, and frequently forgetting that one crucial detail that skews all her best intentioned efforts sideways.

Investigation: Ms. Pho awoke to her powers later in life, entering into the AS largely through a familial connection - her grandmother knows someone, basically. She's participated in a few cases that proved to be non-spiritual in nature.
Self-Defense: Ms. Pho has been practicing Tai Chi since she could walk, more for the mental focus and discipline it brings than for its martial benefits. She has received perfunctory training in small firearms and baton weapons. She dislikes the former.
Spiritualism: Ms. Pho can sense if spirits are taking actions in her vicinity, but lacks the Sight to pinpoint their location.
Magic: Ms. Pho's magic, one passed down through her family, uses hair as a focus due to its longevity as a material and its connection to the user. In a raw form, her magic allows the growth or manipulation of her hair to interact with her surroundings. She also has three small items - a hair bracelet, a small doll that can be stuffed with hair, and a small pocket-able rod of braided hair. They are used in spells as a sensor, a puppet, and a capturing tool, respectively.
Other: Ms. Pho is trained in CPR and basic emergency medicine. She went to college for a degree in emergency medicine, but never graduated due to the sudden awakening of her abilities.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:55 am

BrookeDi wrote:...
ThreadWeaver wrote:...
It is my pleasure to let you know that you are both accepted to Afterlife Solutions.
Welcome.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:38 am

Full Name: Nestor Soulis
Appearance: Nestor stands at about 6’3” with a muscular build meticulously maintained through daily exercise and a strict diet. Dark curls frame his face, lying in a messy heap and streaked through with silver. Likewise, he has a beard of similar makeup, silver and black contrasting with his tanned complexion. Two bright blue eyes peeking out at the world with a mischievous light to them, high cheekbones and deep smile lines complete the picture of his face. While any other man of his stature could be seen as imposing, the way that Nestor carries himself in such a nonchalant manner removes any real intimidation. His gait is relaxed, shoulders swaying and posture just a bit less than perfect. While not particularly part of his appearance, it wouldn’t be fitting to leave out the cadence of his voice. Gravelly and deep, Nestor’s voice is just as much of a feature as any other that he has.

Good Qualities: To say that Nestor is level-headed is an understatement. Always playing devil’s advocate (both literally and figuratively), he makes an outstanding mediator. Empathy and a calm sense of surety mark his countenance, leading him to withstand even the most stressful of conflicts. That along with a quick ability to problem solve mark him as a successful employee at AS.
Flaws: Although his relaxed nature is certainly a strength, Nestor can also be prone to not taking things as seriously as he should, occasionally endangering himself and his team members. He also isn’t the most reliable, often forgetting about the smaller assignments he’s given. If he remembers, he’ll get it done, but otherwise…
Fears: Nestor is blessed with a healthy amount of fear, keeping himself out of trouble, but more particularly he has has a deep-rooted fear of both ants and spiders. Spirits and the like are not nearly as terrifying as those.
Overall Description: Nestor is the pinnacle of a relaxed and confident person—well-adjusted and sure of himself. Aside from the pitfalls that come along with being laid-back, and those that are introduced by his particular fears, Nestor finds most tasks to be enjoyably difficult.

Investigation: Originally a police officer on the more mundane side of society, and then working in the Nevada AS branch, Nestor is not new to supernatural investigation. He has worked at AS for 15 years, with an extensive history of working with police investigators at his previous occupation.
Self-Defense: A firm believer in personal fitness and safety, Nestor is a long time kick-boxer. He also enjoys learning other disciplines, such as Jiu-Jitsu, and subsequently, this has led him to be able to protect himself and others quite effectively.
Spiritualism: Nestor awakened to his ability of sight later on, at around 30, always dismissing things he had noticed as mere tricks of his imagination or of the light. Why the delay in perception occurred is unclear.
Magic: As far as he knows, Nestor is completely human and mundane. Whether or not he is capable of spells remains unclear.
Other: Nestor drives a VW bug named Susan, and carries a pistol that he was trained to use in his time as a sheriff. He continually practices both driving and shooting, but is clearly better at one over the other (let’s just say that Susan has a few deep scratches and a bent axle). He also is quite the chef, willing to experiment and try new ingredients—always sharing with AS staff once he finds a recipe he likes.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:26 pm

Georgeanna wrote:...
Wonderfully done, G.

Welcome to ⸀AS⌟.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Post by Forge » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:43 am

Full Name: Benjamin "Ben" Wyatt
Appearance:
Good Qualities: Ben Wyatt excels at getting people to like him, both within and outwith the organisation, and is particularly adept at thinking on the fly. This makes him uniquely suited to field work, where rapid adaptation and ingratiating oneself with clients and authorities can smooth the path for 「AS」 operations.
Flaws: Whilst useful in a practical sense, Mr Wyatt's tendency to "wing it" comes with a proportionate reluctance to adhere to proper rules and procedure, both in the field and where it comes to the timely and accurate filing of paperwork. He's also an inveterate liar, and has a disregard for personal safety that can be problematic for teammates.
Fears: Wyatt displays a marked aversion to fire, and an agitation in tightly-enclosed spaces suggestive of a developing phobia. Conversely, neither the restless dead nor living threats seem to incite much apprehension in him.
Overall Description:
A self-described 'Puckish rogue', Ben Wyatt brings a much-needed thread of levity and out-of-the-box thinking to any unit. That said, his reckless nature and general refusal to take things seriously make him unsuited to leadership roles.

Investigation: Having worked with the 「AS」 Nevada branch for a number of years, Wyatt has a firm background in the kind of investigative works carried out by the organisation, though he lacks the additional skills inherited by members with former backgrounds in law enforcement and private investigation.
Self-Defense: Wyatt has completed a number of self-defense classes with the Nevada branch, but lacks focused expertise in any particular discipline, and repeatedly deviates to a personal preference more suited to street brawls than personal safety.
Spiritualism: Benjamin has the Sight, and can see and communicate with spiritual entities.
Magic: Wyatt's most note-worthy skill is a magpie-like ability to pick up spells, rituals and incantations from a variety of sources. Whilst lacking the stopping power inherent in any of the greater, natural magics, this "Jack of All Trades" approach allows him to call upon a grab bag of cobbled together arcana that can be used in the pursuit of his duties.
Other: Wyatt carries a number of potential arcane components on him at any given time, including (but not limited to) chalk, salt, feathers, charcoal, bone, earth, semi-precious gemstones, guano and blood. These are usually hidden about his person, not necessarily in pockets, and have resulted in him being detained by the police on three occasions.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:31 am

Forge wrote:...
Well done, good sir; welcome to ⸀AS⌟

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Full Name: Emma Holden

Appearance:
Good Qualities: Emma will commit her full attention to one task at a time, which can be both a positive and negative trait in itself. This means the job will be completed and completed well, but at the cost of time. She is dedicated to her job and is a detail-oriented worker, always picking up the more nuanced details that others tend to miss, and always happy to do the paperwork. A strong spiritual intuition is her greatest asset and she is rarely seen as a threat to the paranormal entities she encounters, always approaching them as a friend and confidant who will go to great lengths to earn their trust.
Flaws: A fleeting attention span and difficulties with concentration mean her mind wanders constantly. Her responses are often delayed or unhelpful, and so she often comes across as scatterbrained or disconnected with reality. In truth she is listening to the voices beyond the veil, conversing with them internally, and letting them guide her to their final resolution.
Fears: Somewhat strangely considering her occupation, Emma fears the dark. There have been occasions during her work life where this has been used against her, which has only worsened her fear. Internally, she fears herself. She is afraid of her brain betraying her, of her suddenly losing all of her memories and personality, or anything that makes her who she is.
Overall Description: Emma has a soul that is way beyond her years. She will always listen before she acts and takes instruction well. She can sense a good egg from a bad one and the same goes for people’s intentions, allowing her to navigate social circles with little actual interaction. Highly intuitive and intelligent, she holds a quiet innocence that people easily come to trust, making her a valuable medium and empath.

Investigation: Though she has lived with her abilities for much longer, Emma has been with Afterlife Solutions for over five years as a contracted medium, often called in to scout the location of a haunt first in order for the company to see what they might be dealing with.
Self-Defense: Basic jiu-jitsu
Spiritualism: A traumatic brain injury at 16 left Emma comatose for over six months. She awoke to multiple health complications, and though recovery was slow there were other prevailing issues that proved to be much stranger. She could now see figures that others couldn’t, could hear whispers at back of her mind, and would suffer from emotional outbursts and changes in personality that were difficult to explain. At first chalked up to the injury and later, psychosis, it took her a number of years to embrace her new sensitivities and shrug off the stigma surrounding them, though this was largely thanks to the company’s recruiter who laid out the truth of things in no uncertain terms.
Magic: Emma can replay the thoughts and feelings a spirit has had before their death, sometimes even glimpsing fragments the world they saw for a few seconds up to their demise.
Other: Longer lasting effects of the TBI pop up occasionally such as dizziness, loss of sleep, changes in behaviour and impulsivity, though the condition is known to her colleagues, which only adds to her quirkiness rather than causing alarm, or aversion. Though quiet, she enjoys people's company, often leaving little gifts for her co-workers seemingly without reason.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 am

Shea wrote:...
Excellent. Sheet looks good to me.

Welcome to ⸀A⌟fterlife ⸀S⌟olutions

IC should be up some time over the weekend, but due to weekend obligations I'm not going to promise that... IC will definitively be up by Monday night.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:38 pm

BrookeDi wrote:...
ThreadWeaver wrote:...
Georgeanna wrote:...
Forge wrote:...
Shea wrote:...
The IC is now live.

We are in the 'prep' phase. Here you can ask your overseer as well as your colleagues at the office questions you think may help you, you can attempt to do research in the archives, you can review the case dossiers and of course you can requisition equipment you think may be necessary before setting out.

With all that in mind; please feel free to post at your leisure.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:51 am

Dossier for case PhxAs-984a

Contents as follows;
1. A photograph of the client, Jennifer Santiago.

2. A photograph of the haunt-site with address listed.

3. Historical records of the site stating it originally as an empty lot in the 1880s which ran along one of the city's external roads followed up with a series of deeds and business licenses showing the area's transition first into a private residence, later into a strip mall and specifically the site of a pawn shop and finally into a 7-eleven which is in a rather overdrawn sales process and has been shut down and falling into a state of disrepair for going on seven months. There is no listing of any deaths on the premises in the historical records.

4. A photograph of the client's work address, Pritchett and Dane Law Offices, with address listed.

5. A photograph of the client's home with address listed.

6. A collection of police reports from the site which are largely related to public disturbance, drunk and disorderly conduct and assault. No excessive violent crime is recorded. There is no listing of any deaths on the premises on record with the police. The vast majority of these incidents are from the last year or so with each of them being closed and filed as pranks, or else as minor incidents which have since been resolved. All the indicators are present to believe the police think this string of reports is an ornate joke at their expense. Several of the reports are anonymous, but there is a listing for a K. Chapel as well as an L. Richardson.

7. A copy of the client's medical history which denotes no pre-existing mental conditions.

8. A heavily notated copy of specific paranormal occurrences drafted by one of AS' records clerks. This document cites the rattling of chains, shifting of small objects, invisible presence and unnatural aches and pains. The official synopsis states a Poltergeist as the most likely perpetrator of these assaults should this case prove valid.
Previously understated interactions such as an asynchronous rise in temperature in the areas of these troubles leads the clerk to advise caution as this is in opposition to the initial conclusion.

9. A transcript of AS' initial interview with the client Jennifer Santiago administered by intake interviewer Quentin Overbeck.
[Q. Overbeck] Hello there, miss Santiago; my name is Quentin. We spoke on the phone.
[J. Santiago] Um... right. Hi. I was.. Sorry, I was expecting something a bit different than all this. This seems very...
[Q. Overbeck] Of course. I understand. Hopefully you won't discredit us for our lack of supernatural tchotchkes. Please; have a seat and tell me what the issue is, Miss Santiago.
[J. Santiago] Oh. I didn't mean to insult you. I just... right. Well as I said I'm here about the abandoned 7-eleven downtown.
[Q. Overbeck] Yes, miss. You've stated in initial questioning that you believe the residence to be haunted?
[J. Santiago] I...
[Q. Overbeck] Please, miss; I am not here to judge your beliefs, or to belittle you for having them. There are no skeptics here at AS aside from some of our interns in the accounting department. You can feel free to speak openly with me.
[J. Santiago] I think... yes. I think it is haunted. There have been a lot of strange things happening there lately.
[Q. Overbeck] Please do share.
[J. Santiago] Well; I, for one, have heard a lot of odd noises. The sounds of metal chains clanging around and people moving inside the building. This odd feeling of being watched. At first I thought it was nothing or that I was just being paranoid, but... But recently I think I was attacked.
[Q. Overbeck] My condolences. You don't have to go into specifics if you don't want to but I would like to say that every bit of information we get helps. If you feel comfortable doing so could you tell me what the attack entailed and who, if anyone, you shared information of this experience with before myself?
[J. Santiago] I... I was walking to my car from work. Cutting across Van-Buren because parking is cheaper on the other side. Like I said; I mostly thought I was just being a chicken to this point. But when I was passing that building I felt this... this crawling sensation along the back of my neck. Like fingers brushing my skin. And when I felt it I reached for my pepper spray and turned around, but there was no-one there and the feeling didn't... it didn't go away it just...
[Q. Overbeck] Relax. Breathe, miss Santiago. Take your time, please. Don't force yourself.
[J. Santiago] Right. Sorry. Um... The feeling didn't go away. And I started to run, but as I did it almost felt like that sense of fingers on my neck went... It went through me. Into my throat and my lungs. I started to feel this choking feeling and the more I tried to run the more it hurt. And it started to get warm and... and.. and I started getting dizzy. But then Sandra from HR saw me coughing and doubled over and rushed over to help and the feeling just left.
[Q. Overbeck] So your coworker's presence seemed to cause the entity to leave you alone?
[J. Santiago] I... I guess?
[Q. Overbeck] Very well. And what about after? Did you go to a hospital, or talk to anyone about this situation?
[J. Santiago] I was going to go to a hospital, but the pain stopped almost as quickly as it started and there were no bruises, or marks or anything. I didn't want people to think...
[Q. Overbeck] You didn't want them to think you were making it up. Or, in the worst case scenario, that you were crazy.
[J. Santiago] ...
[Q. Overbeck] Well; you'll have no such judgements from me, I assure you. I believe you, miss Santiago, and I want to help you so that no-one else has to go through anything so terrifying. So please; continue.
[J. Santiago] I... Sandra asked me what had happened and I told her I was getting sick. That I was having a bad reaction to new medicine. I couldn't bring myself to tell her. But I did tell my brother, Aldo. He didn't really believe me, you could tell in his voice, but he was supportive and reassuring at least. I think he thinks someone tried to assault me and I ran. That I was trying to... to process it.
[Q. Overbeck] He sounds like a good brother; willing to help you work through your troubles even when he doesn't believe in them. It's good you told someone. Even if they were skeptical that has to have taken a certain weight off of you. Was there anyone else you talked to about this? Anyone who did believe, or who had a similar experience?
[J. Santiago] Yeah... He has his moments. Anyway; yeah. I went back to work about two days later. Found out I wasn't the only one who had a similar experience. Louis Richardson, our intern, had brought up a similar experience while I was out. And his friend Sara Oviatt who works at the Westside Furniture up the street had the same sort of thing happen to her as well.
[Q. Overbeck] So you spoke with the pair of them about your ordeal?
[J. Santiago] I did. I even recorded some questions I asked them.
[Q. Overbeck] You did?
[J. Santiago] Yeah. And I did my best not to ask any questions that were too leading, trying to let them get to their own conclusions about what happened.
[Q. Overbeck] I'd love to hear those recordings, miss Santiago...
[]The remainder of the transcription concludes with miss Santiago passing on her recorded interviews with the two other victims as well as some reassurance from intake interviewer Overbeck, an agreement to take up the case and a round of farewells.

10. A transcript of the client questioning her coworker Louis Richardson about his potential paranormal experience.
[J. Santiago] Okay... okay, so; go ahead and say what we talked about.
[L. Richardson] My name is Louis. Louis Richardson. I hereby consent to being recorded for the duration of this conversation and to allow Jessica here to share her recordings. That good?
[J. Santiago] Perfect... okay so... good, so just tell me what happened to you.
[L. Richardson] I was walking up Van-Buren, past the uniform service and next to that abandoned corner store on my way to meet up with a friend of mine.
[J. Santiago] The 7-eleven?
[L. Richardson] Right, yes. The 7-eleven.
[J. Santiago] Go on.
[L. Richardson] Anyway; I was walking by this place and there's all this crunching and junk and at first I don't think anything of it. I'm in a hurry because my friend Sara called me freaking out about something and told me to meet her where she works so I'm like... laser focused.
[J. Santiago] And then?
[L. Richardson] And then the crunching sounds starts like moving, and getting closer to me. I get this knotted up feeling in my stomach and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. There's this kind of ker-chuk kh-chh-chh sound like chains rattling against themselves. And like I look around but no-one is there so I pick up my pace a bit and keep moving. And that's when I feel it...
[J. Santiago] Feel what, Lou?
[L. Richardson] There's this like weight on my chest. Like someone is trying to push me back. It isn't very strong; I can fight it, but it's like fighting against a heavy wind or trying to walk up a hill. And there's this uncomfortable heat on my chest.
[J. Santiago] And a crawling feeling? Like fingers?
[L. Richardson] Yeah! Exactly. And then it's like those fingers kind of stab into my chest, only not really sharp? I dunno how else to describe it, though. And I start to feel my lungs get really tight like I'd been running for a long time. And this pins and needles feeling is trickling across my chest and I can't breathe right. And I'm struggling to move at this point, and I think I might keel over when this dude starts honking at me saying stuff like "Get off the sidewalk you junkie freak" and like normally I'd be pissed, but to be fair I probably looked really messed up at that point and for all their jerkishness I'm pretty sure they saved me.
[]The remainder of the transcript is mostly nonsensical babbling wherein the client and her coworker freak out over how similar their experiences were.

11. A transcript of the client questioning a woman named Sara Oviatt about her potential paranormal experience.
[J. Santiago] Alright; just like we spoke about before... before I pressed record.
[S. Oviatt] Hi. I'm Sara and you can record me or whatever. Share it if you think it'll help I guess. Just don't post this online or anything, okay?
[J. Santiago] Good enough. Can you tell me what happened to you last night, Sara?
[S. Oviatt] ...
[J. Santiago] Please, Lou vouched for me, right? I had something similar happen and I'm just trying to... to figure it all out.
[S. Oviatt] That 7-eleven up the street is haunted. I don't care what the doctors, or the cops want to say. I'm not making it up, I'm not crazy, and I'm not trying to cover up some trauma. Whatever the hell is in there is evil and it isn't normal.
[J. Santiago] Just... just tell me what happened, Sara.
[S. Oviatt] Some ghost or monster or something shoved it's arm down my throat and started cutting off my air is what happened. I was almost knocked out. Blue in the face, with tears running from my eyes thinking it would be the end of me. This burning heat ripping up my insides as I felt this hand-shaped thing squeezing my lungs and trying to kill me.
[J. Santiago] I'm so...
[S. Oviatt] Don't. Just don't okay. I'm done. You can keep your recording but I'm done. I just want to go home.
[]The transcript ends after explaining roughly thirty seconds of shuffling followed by a door closing.

Shea
Scout
Scout

Post by Shea » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Everyone alright? I don't want this to die.

ThreadWeaver
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ThreadWeaver » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm writing up a post for tonight or tomorrow. Work has been weird.