IC is here. Please read the rules before posting.
The non-Mundane have always maintained places to get together away from the prying eyes of 'normal' folk. Nick's Bar is one of those; a dive bar tucked away in a quiet corner of Manhattan, catering to New York's less average residents and visitors. Granted, it's not much to look at - most of the furniture hasn't been replaced since it was installed a couple of decades past, and the whole place could do with a lick of paint - but it's safe. From the street it's pretty nondescript; clouded windows with the bars still on and a battered wooden door, one could almost miss it entirely if not for the plain sign jutting from the wall. I mean, that and the wards cooked into every inch of the building to shield it from prying eyes. That magic, designed to encourage the Mundane mind to remember urgent business elsewhere, stands out like Christmas lights to anyone with a scrap of the unusual to them. The inside is about the same: plain, weathered, but undeniably a place for the non-Mundane to congregate.
This is a completely open and casual RP setting where characters can develop and interact as they wish. The idea is to give folks a casual RP setting to involve themselves in, perhaps while waiting for someone to post in an RP or maybe just to give a certain character a test run. You can think of this as a modern fantasy-ish tavern.
Character sheets are completely voluntary - although you're welcome to post them here if you'd like to give people a better idea of your character's appearance or personality. If you don't, please try to be descriptive about your character in your posts.
Please read the rules and description of the bar before posting. Otherwise, enjoy!
- The setting is a near-future Earth, which means that the political landscape, economy and type of readily available technology is roughly the same as our own. Phones might be a little more fancy, but as a general rule cars still drive on the ground and you still put your pants on manually.
- Sufficient secret/government/military technology exists that your character can be a cyborg, supersoldier, augmented human, mutant, superhero, etc.
- Similarly, magic and the non-mundane are widespread. That means you can be a werewolf, vampire, elf, mage, etc.
- The non-mundane population are pretty aware of each other. That means your warlock can be in a polygamous relationship with a vampire and a girl who shoots lasers from her eyes, if that's where you want to take things.
- Conversely, the mundane population are generally not aware of these things. That means you don't fly to work, and your colleagues don't keep raw steak in the office fridge for when your full moon cravings come calling.
- It also means that if you're particularly non-human looking (an ogre, a golem, half-machine, on fire, etc.) you should probably buy a glamour or put together some kind of disguise for when you're not in the Bar.
- Please make sure you read this whole post. It's important to make sure you fully understand the RP, and if it looks like you haven't I'll be sending you back here.
- I'll be playing the proprietor, Nick, and might occasionally wheel out some named staff, but feel free to make use of NPC's as you see fit.
- This is a casual RP setting, so there aren't any minimum post length limits.
- The usual RP rules apply - no god-moding, etc.
- This is an open Balance universe, so please make sure your characters are appropriate to the setting. Read the outline above if you're not sure what Balance worlds are. There are no restrictions in terms of species and the like, so long as they fit within the universe.
- Character sheets are awesome, but not mandatory. If you'd like to post one, please do it here.
- Please note, because of the nature of this RP play will not stop if a player becomes inactive for too long. If you do disappear, an exit of some sort will usually be assumed (i.e. the character heading off to take care of some business, going to find a drink, or even a bathroom break) and your character will become 'background noise' until you return.
- If you'd like your character to be a 'regular' or to otherwise have history/prior involvement with the bar or one of the other players, ask. It's totally okay.
To give you a rough idea of the kind of venue you're dropping in on.
Your bar experience will include;
- Traditional, if slightly battered, bar stools.
- Several booths in similar condition.
- Exposed brickwork - not as a stylistic decision so much as a cost-effective one.
- One much-weathered bar with cellar access, a range of alcoholic beverages on display and a crude, knife-carved effigy of something that looks like a feathery worm.
- Bathrooms, complete with graffiti.
- One door marked 'Staff Only'. It doesn't open, and doesn't seem to have any sort of handle. Nick's also hung a dart board from it.
- A jukebox stocked with a range of tunes, some of which never made it to the mortal plane, never mind the charts.
- One heavy-duty pool table with accompanying cues, balls and slight beer smell.
- Two wall-mounted TV's on either end of the bar, generally tuned to the news or sports, though not always the kind you'd expect (who knew tlachtli had its own league?).
- Food and drink to suit most species and palates, though nothing approaching fine dining. There's a microwave, though.
Proprietor: Nick Reyes - Warlock, Bartender and (potential) Wayward Deity
Species: Human. Ish.
Appearance: My working visual indication, for your viewing pleasure
Personality: For a business owner and potential wielder of immense arcane power, an outside assessment of Nick Reyes might be forgiven for thinking him a man half-assing it in the extreme. He's excessively unhurried, prone to impulsiveness, sometimes immortal, often immature and generally doesn't seem to be overly concerned with any of the things a functioning adult within the non-Mundane community should be. Despite that, and the aesthetic condition of his bar, it's clear that Reyes cares about his contemporaries; he's never once run out of anything, nor closed a day in over two decades, whether he's manning the bar himself or not.
Background: There are a lot of rumours surrounding Nick Reyes. He turned up on Manhattan's non-Mundane social scene and opened his bar a little over twenty years ago, and unless he was an especially enterprising kid, he doesn't seem to have aged much during that time. That's not so unusual for a warlock. Nonetheless, rumours persist that Reyes is a fair bit older than he lets on; as in, "he was around when Cortés was dropping in on the Aztecs" older. Likewise, the spellwork built into his bar defies several kinds of logic and a handful of very dedicated attempts to circumvent it. The popular theories are that Reyes might be part of some shadowy cabal of spellcasters, have bought the favour of a god, or might in fact be an errant deity slumming it on Earth. Whatever the case, Nick's not offering any clarification.