Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Plugged In - OOC

Where all OOC threads for RPs that will take place within the Worlds of Technology will go.

Moderator: Forge

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

Plugged In - OOC

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:45 am

History
Many, many, many (several 'many's later) years ago, the world as we knew it, ended. It was still liveable, to an extent but we had, so we were told, irreparably damaged our planet. It took some adjustment, but as of the present day we now live in a largely virtual world.

It's the year 2219, and aside from pictures of what the world used to look like, there's not much evidence of the world before how we know it to be. It's not such a bad world to live in. Everything is so much more accessible to your virtual fingertips than they used to be and you get a lot more privacy in your home. And, if you're not feeling up to interaction, you can always log off for the day. Everyone works from home (although, depending on the job you might have to log in to go to your virtual office to have your work product monitored by superiors).

You can access the Internet without being Plugged In (the term used to reference when someone is in the virtual world as opposed to, well, anything else).

Government
Over the years, one formal government has melded together. There is not a single leader, rather a 7 member council acts as the leader. Corporations have spokespeople who act as the voice of the people. The Spokespeople for every corporation forms a committee that acts as a check against the council as well. They meet for an entire week once a month, or as the need arises for emergencies, to discuss propositions, ideas, and vetoing of decisions made by the council. It is incredibly difficult to veto the council, but not impossible. They must vote on any action the committee plans to take, and must present any issues, concerns, or propositions to the council as a group. Larger corporations will generally have more Spokespeople than a smaller corporation.

StarPoint has 3 Spokespeople. Their job is to take any concerns of the people to the council, filtering out the less important statements for the more important complaints or requests for change.

Other Information
It may come up, but wellness checks: The Government tracks those who are logged in and plugged in. If you don't log in or plug in for a certain amount of time, an alert flags your account and a wellness check is made, likely by drone.

Characters
Your characters is employed by StarPoint, one of the largest corporations in the virtual world. They do a variety of work (mostly to allow some creativity for character creation). They also have access to a lot of information that the rest of the world does not. Your character can be from any country/region/etc. If they need to get together physically, I'll worry about that bridge when we get to it. Once character sheets are in, I'll provide a little more information about StarPoint, but it is one of those companies where your virtual butt has to be in a virtual seat for work.

Here is your character sheet:

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Virtual Description:[/b] What does your character's virtual image look like. It has to be relatively similar to your characters physical appearance. Enough so that the person is recognizable as being that avatar. There is some creative license (you can be taller, shorter, have different colored hair every day, etc.) A lot of customization options are available if you've got the bitcoin for it.

[b]Actual Appearance:[/b]

[b]Location:[/b]

[b]Job Position:[/b] StarPoint does everything from build and command drones, to assist people with IT problems. If you need help coming up with a job within the corporation, I can totally do that but I'll leave it open-ended so you can decide on something you really want.

[b]Other:[/b]A brief history of your character, a little bit of tidbit about how others at the 'office' might perceive your character, etc. etc. Anything you think might be helpful/relevant.
I reserve the right to edit and change this character sheet as I see fit.
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you."
- Maya Angelou

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Re: Plugged In - OOC

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:59 am

Name: Annabelle Sharp

Virtual Description: Annabelle's avatar is unoriginal. She hasn't used any of the customization options available and, instead, her avatar looks exactly like her (perhaps a bit thinner with a little more volume to her hair). The only thing she does spend her bitcoin on is really nice looking clothes. She enjoys dressing her avatar in different outfits.

Actual Appearance: Annabelle has long, red hair that she usually has in a bread. She's typically wearing sweats. She has green eyes, stands at about five foot five, and is a little above average weight.

Job Position: Client-relations. If you've got a problem with an item delivered to you by StarPoint, she'll assist you. This involves speaking with large corporate clients and smaller, individual clients.

Other: Annabelle lives alone.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Post by Ghostwriter » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:21 am

Just so I know, this can be kind of a filler and Ill edit it later. But I was thinking of having a cyberpunk 2077-ish inspired character~ any rules about anything like that?

You never really specified about tech levels or like, how bad the world really was or how society was or stuff like that. :p You did say its the year 2219, so Im assuming even what Im thinking of would be fine and could push it further if I wanted. But, yea, whats your opinion on cybernetics? Society? Crime? Hows most people make their money? Whats income inequality like? Whats the politics likes? Whats the environment like? Space travel? Plans for space travel? If the world is fucked, are they planning to go to the moon? Mars? Titan? Europa? Ceres? A different galaxy?
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 am

Ghostwriter wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:21 am
Just so I know, this can be kind of a filler and Ill edit it later. But I was thinking of having a cyberpunk 2077-ish inspired character~ any rules about anything like that?

You never really specified about tech levels or like, how bad the world really was or how society was or stuff like that. :p You did say its the year 2219, so Im assuming even what Im thinking of would be fine and could push it further if I wanted. But, yea, whats your opinion on cybernetics? Society? Crime? Hows most people make their money? Whats income inequality like? Whats the politics likes? Whats the environment like? Space travel? Plans for space travel? If the world is fucked, are they planning to go to the moon? Mars? Titan? Europa? Ceres? A different galaxy?
As far as everyone is concerned the world is uninhabitable. There are some people who actually work/live in factories to assemble goods and such. I'm open to cybernetics, if you want to send me what you have in mind?

Everything is virtual. People do not leave their homes. There are instances, of course, where that does occur but it's few and far between (hospital visits, moving in with a partner, etc).

Crime occurs, but it's mostly virtual/cyber crime. Again, not always but majority. Think hacking and such.

Most people make their money working for large corporations. Corporations that ship/manufacture/produce goods and services. Some people make money driving drones. Some make money working in factories--these people are typically poorer and live in a kind of group home situation.

Space travel, as far as the common person is concerned, isn't a possibility because Earth is so ruined that we could never make it to another planet. Does the government have other plans? Who knows. There was initially a lot of attempted space travel when they first realized how bad Earth was getting, but it was a lot of failures. There was a group who went onto a ship that was designated to colonize a planet; there were some rich, some with trade skills, etc, but the ship never made it there.

Income equality exists. Money can buy you home luxuries for when you're not plugged in. It can provide you with nicer living arrangements, etc. You can also pay for higher speed internet (prevent glitching while at work) and better equipment to plug in.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 am

I forgot to ask... food? If its uninhabitable [not sure if you think that word means what I think it means, since people still live on earth right?] how do they get food? Is it just plants? They farm animals for meat still? They just grow food from bio sludge?

Also, two points. Why is the world fucked up, and why is there only one government? Are they related? Was there some nuclear war or something? Mechs? If mechs, how big are the mechs? :)

As far as cyberpunk 2077, sure I can give a video if you havent seen. Its one of the games Im most excited for. Heck I can give ya another too for outter worlds. Games are kind of my thing~ :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2kIfS6fb8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

Outter worlds isnt really related to what I was thinking, just it has some cool ideas and its a game I think people should have on their radar. Just trying to help give ideas or ask questions to flesh out things. I got plenty of ideas for things tho if needed.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:49 am

I'm not sure a better word but it boils down to going outside is Not Good.

Farm animals can be raised without them ever needing to go outside. Hydroponic gardens, artificial lights, etc. Indoor farms become a thing. Meals Ready To Eat (just add water and food!) And Astronaut type food are also pretty popular (and inexpensive) options for food. Liquid meals, too, are probably a thing.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 am

Hah shucks, I just edited it and I guess you missed it. Ill just repost it here then.

Also, two points. Why is the world fucked up, and why is there only one government? Are they related? Was there some nuclear war or something? Mechs? If mechs, how big are the mechs? :)

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:15 pm

World is fucked from war and just general human indecency (neglect, ozone issues from greenhouse gasses, mountains of trash... kind of like Wall-E)

One government because people are more easily governed (and monitored) in this virtual world. I'll write some stuff up on that tomorrow.
- Maya Angelou

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:55 am

I've added a small section on government in the initial post.
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Cool I saw :p I was gone all day, driving like 500 miles today :/ Kinda exhausted so Ill work on a character tomorrow after I get some z's

I'm an Architect

Fireynay
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Werebeast

Post by Fireynay » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Name: Taylor Rydell

Virtual Description: Taylor has created her avatar as an ideal of her true self. It is slightly taller and a couple of sizes slimmer, making her Virtual Self a modelesque figure. She changes her hair and clothes daily to suit her mood and is always up-to-date with the latest fashion trend. She likes to add extravagant embellishments to her character, her current favourite being a set of pure white, feathery wings that arch above her head and stop just short of brushing the floor.

Actual Appearance: In reality Taylor is quite plain. She has mousy brown hair that hangs perfectly straight to her shoulder blades and is usually held back by a thin, black alice band. Her eyes are brown, she is a little above average height and of average weight. She typically wears old, faded boyfriend jeans and a plain hoody.

Job Position: Taylor is a drone pilot. Her particular job requires her to be plugged in to be able to access the drone controls, but she enjoys it because it gives her a glimpse into the "real" outside world.

Other: Taylor still lives with her parent's and her grandparents. They are a pretty well off family which is what allows her to be able to afford all of the customisations she has made to her avatar.
Last edited by Fireynay on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Forge for the amazing set!

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:23 am

Let me know if you want me to change anything~

Name: Angel Gray

Virtual Description: Just a nondescript guy in a dark hoodie, the only stand out thing being the lower half of his face is like a skull with skeleton like hands.

Actual Appearance: Most assume Angel looks like a 5 ½ ft anglo male with blonde hair and blue eyes somewhere in their early 20s with prosthetic arms. However due to extensive cybernetics from an early age, Angel can change their face from the eyes down, as well as the color and shape of their cyber eyes. Because most of their body is cyber, if desired the body is able to become roughly a foot bigger or smaller. Angel can even switch into different cyber bodies made for different purposes, the bodies mostly acting as personas and replaceable shells for the more important internal components within.

Job Position: Angel's a well known Pro-Gamer, think something akin of a professional youtuber on an e-sports team and secretly a dark web hacker.

Other: On the outside Angel seems like a quiet yet friendly person who spends time gaming and speaking to fans about twice a week, when not participating in tournaments and such. However Angel lives two different lives. You could consider Angel something of a Eco rebel / freedom fighter who wants to hold those accountable for ruining the environment and works with a group similar to Anonymous.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm an Architect

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Post by Forge » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:31 am

Name: Aleksey Vladimirovich Dorokhin (Lyosha to his friends)

Virtual Description: Alexey's avatar retains most of the physical characteristics of his real-world self, albeit a slightly better-fed and less pale version. Despite dealing with high-pressure situations on a daily basis, he's actually somewhat shy - and as a result of his job rarely requiring him to interact in a one-to-one virtual capacity, his customisation credit has all gone toward personal items. For the most part he keeps it clothed in stylised "sci-fi" armor, reminiscent of the old VR vids he used to watch growing up.

Actual Appearance: Alexey tops off at around 6'2", stocky - largely thanks to StarPoint's mandatory employee health monitoring and exercise program - but with a persistently underfed look that comes from living on synthesised protein rations. Like his avatar he has non-descript blue eyes and brown hair, shaved down to stubble. Years of being on-call and irregular sleeping patterns have left him pale and dark around the eyes.

Location: Moscow, Federation of Eurasian States (Formerly Russia and surrounds)

Job Position: Aleksey operates and coordinates a team of semi-autonomous drones as part of FES' privatised Fire Service, which is owned and operated directly by StarPoint.

Other: In his downtime, Alexey plays (and has a modest following on) the popular war sim Call of Destiny: Battlefield under the pseudonym [Nightingale]
Remember to vote for RPGC!

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:04 am

So, we all work in relatively different areas of the company. Nay and Forge are the most similar so their avatars might at least be in the same area of the StarPoint 'building'. So, unless they know another some other way or happened to run into one another and build a friendship, our characters likely don't know one another beyond possible passing one another's avatars here and there which should be fine.

We'll do intro posts, and then I'll get us all to a centralized location and we'll go from there. :>
- Maya Angelou

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:45 am

- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:20 am

Okee back! Sorry had some appointments yesterday, have some more tomorrow. I took today to read the IC post, and Ill think about what my first post will be. Still gotta decide on the age of my character too after talking to ya. Im actually considering lowering it to make Angel a kid so theres not as much history with the hacker group. Fits better for a streamer too I spose.

Edit: Intended to post today/thursday but I wont have time it seems, and friday Im going to be gone most of the day. Just giving a heads up~

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:02 am

Ghostwriter wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:20 am
Edit: Intended to post today/thursday but I wont have time it seems, and friday Im going to be gone most of the day. Just giving a heads up~
Thanks for the heads up. :>
- Maya Angelou

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 am

No problem, and Im back! I was pretty much asleep most of saturday. I kind of feel like I slacked a bit sunday, I had the page up and I wrote like two sentences, didn't like it, thought about it, and played video games, sorry~

I plan to get my post up soon, I want to say by tomorrow?... but I was surprised there wasnt a new post yet from anyone else >.>

Edit: Post is up! I'd have done it earlier but I had to go to the bank to cash a check and stuff. And uhm, now I'm hearing more disasters outside my door so I gotta go check on that. >.>

I'm an Architect

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:13 am

Saw this, thought of you Brooke. :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWwHtMAj_pI

When huge anime eyes sneak into cyberpunk.

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 am

I don't even watch Anime, but I was curious about this movie because it seemed kind of cyberpunk. When I first saw the trailer, before Alita came on screen, I was so hopeful that it was a trailer for a Deus Ex movie (wishful thinking).
- Maya Angelou