It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

Scheduled Maintenance
06 Nov, 11:30pm MST - 07 Nov, 11:30pm MST
You may experience minor interruptions, but the site will remain active!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Future Wars OoC (Mecha RPG--Closed)

Where all OOC threads for RPs that will take place within the Worlds of Technology will go.

Moderators: Rick, Forge

ChaosShadoWolfe
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Rogue

Re: Future Wars OoC (Mecha RPG--Closed)

Post by ChaosShadoWolfe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:16 am

Marvelous post, Ghost...

Now I'm just praying we didn't lose Madri in the wait...

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Post by Ghostwriter » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:17 am

eh it wasnt that great :p Would have been better if I didnt take so long to get my butt going~
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

ChaosShadoWolfe
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ChaosShadoWolfe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:03 am

No post? Alright then...?

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:23 am

Madrigal's computer is in the shop, unfortunately. Hopefully we'll see movement when it has been fully repaired.

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:24 am

Oh that sucks, hope its nothing super expensive to replace. I usually just do all my computer repair stuff myself. Its why I have a backup.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:29 am

Ditto, but not everyone can be as tech savvy as us. Those poor saps have to send their computers to incompetent people in blue shirts who charge an arm and a leg, then give the computer back to you in worse shape than you left it.

ChaosShadoWolfe
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ChaosShadoWolfe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:10 pm

Being tech savvy is a bit of a must nowadays. If you aren't tech savvy, get a macbook. They're expensive as fuck, but at least they're no-maintenance.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:14 am

Ugh, that's horrible advice. Macbooks are as obtuse in their OS as they are expensive and are just as needy of maintenance as any other laptop. The only difference is that the maintenance is similarly as overpriced as the machines, themselves. An unsavvy user will still get infections (I just dealt with a cousin's just before Thanksgiving), the keyboard will still go out (again, cousin) and the system will still need basic routine maintenance to keep it optimized. The only difference is Apple sets the pricing because "official" maintenance is all in-shop.

If I ever wanted a Mac, I'd get a PC and put the Mac OS on it. Same guts, same OS, functionally a Mac, a quarter of the price. Not that I'm ever going to do that because I will never, ever want a Mac. Unless it's purely to get familiar with the system if a lot of people suddenly start bringing them in.

ChaosShadoWolfe
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ChaosShadoWolfe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:59 am

What the hell does your cousin do with his laptop?! Jesus! I seriously thought Macbooks were nigh indestructible considering shit doesn't work on Mac OS! Holy shit! And seriously, Keyboard problems too?! Does he play dodgeball with it or something?

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:06 am

My cousin spilled coffee on it, that's why the keyboard went out. Fortunately, the rest of the machine did not, and after being allowed to air dry with a little rubbing alcohol TLC, it came right on. As for infections, it happens the way any infection happens. You go where you shouldn't, click where you shouldn't and trust a pop-up you shouldn't. All without an anti-virus.

"What do you mean I don't have an anti-virus? It's right there, it popped up as soon as you started it!"

"Yeah, no, cousin, that's the malware."

"But it said it would protect me from viruses!"

"And you believed it and now here we are."

ChaosShadoWolfe
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ChaosShadoWolfe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:19 am

Well... your cousin isn't worthy of being called "not tech savvy"...

Pardon my French, but a more suitable description of such behaviour is "Tech retarded" and should not be permitted to use tech without sufficient supervision...

That's not including the coffee... that shit happens t the best of us

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:29 am

Being in the field of computer networking and repair, I've learned that the great majority of end users are, in fact, largely incompetent in the ways of basic maintenance and security of their device. Worse than the ones that don't know anything and know they don't know anything, far worse, are the ones that know just enough to convince themselves they actually are tech savvy. Usually, this is no more than knowing how to competently install or uninstall software and where to find the OS's settings. They can do things like run Windows Updates, uninstall old software, install new software without any additional guidance than what comes with the software, and can change their background and screen saver. Because of this, they feel they can also do things like _choose_ a proper antivirus, or that they know enough to tweak performance or find a program that can do so for them. Or, heaven help them, get into the thing and perform physical maintenance.

Then, when any of that inevitably goes awry and they have to relent to bringing it in to be worked on, they proceed to argue with you when you try to tell them what's wrong.

"That can't possibly be what's wrong! Are you telling me I don't know what cables go where?!"

"Sir, I've been doing this for years, and I still need a guide from time to time."

"Well, then, maybe I should be doing your job!"

"Alright, then, interview question. What do you tell a customer who took a stick of RAM that can only go in one way and shoved it in backwards until it fit by breaking the motherboard?"

"That they're an idiot."

*sets the tower up so they can see inside, pointing to the broken RAM slot* "Then, sir, you're an idiot."

ChaosShadoWolfe
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ChaosShadoWolfe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:40 am

I love you for that xD you actually got my laughing because I can completely relate. Thankfully, I'm not in that business sector so I only deal with my friends and family, who ironically learn really quickly that they need to shut up when I tell them something they did wrong. Added bonus is that I can just tell them to puck off when they don't...

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:49 am

Its a good thing Im not in customer service, I had one previous job and I got moved from the front desk after a week since I just tell people as it is. Perfect setup question though Nin.

My experience is mostly helping family and friends, telling them what they need to do, then when they argue shrugging and say "whatever then do what you want." and then having to do it for them anyway when they bring it back to me later. :/ Like my brother ordered a new hard drive and said there was no room in his compy. I told him he was wrong and there was, but he had all his cables in the way. He's like whatever Im not doing it, I tell him whatever he wasted his money and should give me the hardrive then if he wasnt going to use it. Next day he brings his case in my room and makes me reroute all the cords~ I probably should charge people :p

I'm an Architect

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:52 pm

Hah, that's the worst part of doing it for family. You don't get to charge them. Which, of course, makes them your most frequent customers.

ChaosShadoWolfe
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ChaosShadoWolfe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:13 pm

You don't? Could be because I put a high price on my time so if it's only a few times that they ask me, I'm okay with doing it for free. But the moment it becomes a regular thing, I just start charging them like a tenner for the normal stuff while the bigger issues start ranging in the thirties. That's not including physical maintenance btw. I will in no way lose money for family or friends... so when a part needs replacing, they pay for the part at the very least

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:10 am

Oh, yeah, if it needs parts, they pay for the parts. I mean I don't charge them labor.

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Post by Madrigal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:07 am

Ninmast wrote:Ditto, but not everyone can be as tech savvy as us. Those poor saps have to send their computers to incompetent people in blue shirts who charge an arm and a leg, then give the computer back to you in worse shape than you left it.
I'm skilled enough with software. Intermediate perhaps--certainly neither amateur or experienced. I'm the one my family usually drags into doing virus hunting and software repairs. Hardware however is not something I've a lot of experience with, and with my imprecise fingers, I thought it would be better to leave my laptop's repairs to a professional. Ironically, I thought of asking Nin to fix Eve, but I decided against it since it would take a couple weeks for the laptop to arrive by mail. So I drove sixty miles and left it with the largest and most reputable group in my part of the state, thinking they could fix it within the week.

Had I known it would take five weeks for them to perform a simple patch I could do in my living room, I would have bought a $10 keyboard at a garage sale, made my posts for the week and sent it to Nin afterwards.

But enough of my passive-aggression. I have little time to work on personal things at the office, and even less access to the computers at either the library or the family house, but I'll try to have a post ready by the weekend.
Last edited by Madrigal on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:57 am

Lesson Learned: Always trust your computer troubles to Nin. Anything else is taking your life in your hands.

ChaosShadoWolfe
Traveller
Traveller

Post by ChaosShadoWolfe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:18 am

I'll stick to fixing my computers and those of my family and friends, sorry Nin but I'm not gonna burden you with my stuff. I'm experienced enough(did an education for programmer which included basic pc maintenance) to do most of the neccessary things so I'm good.

Side-note: I'm faster with typing than my phone can register xD This sucks, I keep pressing two ' because it doesn't switch fast enough.