Happy DECEMBER!

Congratulations to our new November Member of the Month!

In honour of the festive season, we have a few new contests for you.
12 Days of Christmas
Caption Christmas

We have a few other bits for you to look at:
So You Want to be a Moderator?
Storycraft - An RP Contest

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up!

Endeavour Six (OOC) (Closed)

Where all OOC threads for RPs that will take place within the Worlds of Technology will go.

Moderator: Śaraṯkṣati

Palacia
Member of the Month
Member of the Month
Class: Vampire

Re: Endeavour Six (OOC) (Closed)

Post by Palacia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 am

Okay, in next few posts I'll mention his weaponry. For now I'll think of what he wants to carry.
Image All credit to Forge, amazing work

Georgeanna
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:00 am

Medosashi wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 am

Is it possible he might see the conflict as a way in which he could gain, but at the expense of others? There's a supply haven in that town (or beneath it, at least). It could be another way we set up some conflict between our characters. Perhaps he doesn't choose a side, but acts in a manner that could jeapordize the lives of some of the characters. Upon discovering each other again on the ship, there could be trouble. Of course, it depends on the nature of your character and what fits with him.
Interesting. Would it be all right if he somehow made a deal with one of the attackers who is not currently engaged (i.e. maybe someone who has commandeered the supply haven and is currently guarding it?). Also, just so I don't misstep, is the attack solely due to the shop owner's shady dealings or is it a full scale rebellion of some sort?
All hail to the mighty Forge, who forged this amazing set design.

Medosashi
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Rogue

Post by Medosashi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 am

Georgeanna wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:00 am
Interesting. Would it be all right if he somehow made a deal with one of the attackers who is not currently engaged (i.e. maybe someone who has commandeered the supply haven and is currently guarding it?). Also, just so I don't misstep, is the attack solely due to the shop owner's shady dealings or is it a full scale rebellion of some sort?
Sure, that works. I believe we're calling that shop owner Jonas (thanks to Palacia). He's basically got a massive underground cache of weapons and supplies. You don't get that without stepping on a lot of toes and upsetting a lot of people. He's got a seemingly pleasant personality, but a lot of tricks up his sleeves and has made life miserable for a lot of people to get what he wants. So, I figure the attack is a rebellion of sorts targeted at him and getting payback. During the conflict, a lot of his people will surface from underground to fight alongside him. Probably a good time to sneak down below.

chaosDesigner
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Adventurer

Post by chaosDesigner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 am

I'm just gonna mention that I interpreted ammo to be somewhat scarce in this setting, so the reason why Nessa doesn't have a gun even if she does know how to use one is because she doesn't wanna deal with having to hoard and save up on ammo, and she's already pretty good weilding that dagger, so she can still defend herself. Also, I was thinking this RP's Earth was something similar to the suburbs in the movie Elysium (can't remember how they were called) in which there was a lot of poverty so while really advanced tech does exist, they don't have all of it. So maybe some advanced tech would be nice, but I would say to keep it on the low side, at least until we leave Earth.
Chaos has been designed!!!

Medosashi
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Medosashi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:49 am

Good point, Chaos. That's part of why I was imagining the enemies arriving in old vehicles and still using many old weapons. Let's say that although this a heated conflict, the majority of weapons being used in this conflict are older in nature. Expect weapons jamming and bullets running out. All the more reason to take on Jonas, right? Since he has some level of a stockpile going on. Not all enemies have guns. The fancier weapons on the battlefield are at the minimum. I will throw a couple of mech style robots in there, but perhaps just two, only they're rusted and not with 100% functionality to give back some of that post apocalyptic feel.

I guess it's finding that middle ground to make this a genuinely heated fight, but without going overboard.

umirinos
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Mage

Post by umirinos » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am

This all sounds so cool. I won't be able to post anything to my liking until Friday, though, and I'll see then if I'll just wait it out and have Tobias jump in right in the middle of the action. I wanted to ask, what do you think about how medicine has developed? Of course weapons and vehicles we'll see, but since Tobias used to be in the medical field he would be able to control any machinery to assist in surgery, or maybe scan bots that can diagnose you, etc. Would that stuff be on the ship later, and what could he plausibly have carrying around with him?

I'm also still deciding on a weapon. He needs something, and he can't stab people with 6 inch scalpers.

Medosashi
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Medosashi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

umirinos wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am
This all sounds so cool. I won't be able to post anything to my liking until Friday, though, and I'll see then if I'll just wait it out and have Tobias jump in right in the middle of the action. I wanted to ask, what do you think about how medicine has developed? Of course weapons and vehicles we'll see, but since Tobias used to be in the medical field he would be able to control any machinery to assist in surgery, or maybe scan bots that can diagnose you, etc. Would that stuff be on the ship later, and what could he plausibly have carrying around with him?

I'm also still deciding on a weapon. He needs something, and he can't stab people with 6 inch scalpers.
You'd possibly make a good team with Arthro's character if he does join us. In general, medicine is scarce. I imagine there are machines and bots that could help with medical matters, but they'll be on the ship. Perhaps your character has a portable device that provides scans and a wide range of medical information. It could be fitted with a small solar panel, but is slowly dying out, occasionlly losing its power and feeds. Maybe he has a very small robot that he can control through that device that can enter the body and perform certain tasks. I'm just throwing it out there! Maybe he has the ability to hack or rewire machines and alter them to suit some of his needs? That one might be a bit time consuming, but another thought. Alternatively or on top of that, I'd say go ahead with your character simply being a master at his craft (though you might have to explain him not being drafted to one of the ships). He has survived this long for good reason. I'd imagine he'd have extensive knowledge on creating makeshift remedies and medical supplies from unlikely ingredients too. Of course, given that the world is in a poor state and there's a lot of desert developing, he'd certainly have a challenge on his hands, but if you can make it work creatively, I'd say go for it.

TwistedHeritage
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Pirate

Post by TwistedHeritage » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Hey all, apologies for not posting yet. Life has just been a bit crazy of late and my mind is currently split across multiple concerns. Still really interested in this RP, and I'm enjoying how it's developing so far.

I agree that considering the advancement of the planet to the point of being able to colonize Mars and create advanced cruiser type ships, that it stands to reason that technological advancements such as robots, alternative weaponry, and medical procedures would exist. Medosashi, you are welcome to correct me on this but the idea I had in mind regarding the ship itself, being effectively the pinnacle of advanced tech, involves concepts such as AI control systems, robot/android workers, and nanobot style medical treatments. Basically the height of technology saved for the elite being shipped off world, like the Elysium concept mentioned.
Medosashi wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 am
Funnily enough, Pal, it wasn't until I put Jin in that trade shop that I asked myself how in the world he's only got a sword. He just might need a gun in this next battle.
Weapons themselves could be anything from standard ballistic type to energy based, considering the current progression in RL with those systems. Medosashi, an energy based sword (like a katana with a slight energy laser based overlay on the blades edge) might be a way to explain how your character was able to survive with just the sword against hostiles with guns and robots :) One could say that the blade is able to give off a slight electromagnetic field that allows you to deflect some ballistic based attacks if you're fast enough. I would imagine a similiar concept is used for the ships shielding.
umirinos wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am
Umirinos, you could incorparate the energy based blade concept into your scalpels allowing them to not rust and be able to cut through tissue like a hot knife through butter... Which would totally allow you to use them as weapons xD Even thrown ones if you want to get fancy and dangerous :P

Also, you could perhaps have a portable scanner/nanobot injector, like an emergency med kit that a paramedic might carry, but you're running low on either power or nanobots (until you can get to the ship and restock :P)
Arthro wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 pm
Hey there folks, before I type up my CS, are there any restrictions on types of characters? I'm looking to either make a floating orb-shaped robot character, or an old, semi-retired Haz-Mat scientist from another dimension. Or both. What are your thoughts?
Arthro, awesome idea with the floating robot character :D That would be an interesting addition. Are you thinking of going with the good old "AI became sentient" vibe, or more of a "human transferred consciousness" feel?

I'm a full on geek (IT guy by profession) and haven't done a decent Sci-Fi RP in years! So I'm really loving how this is shaping up :P
All credit to Forge for the Avatar and Sig Set. Much appreciated! Image Support the Collective. Click to vote here and here every day.

Medosashi
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Medosashi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 am

TwistedHeritage wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:25 pm
I agree that considering the advancement of the planet to the point of being able to colonize Mars and create advanced cruiser type ships, that it stands to reason that technological advancements such as robots, alternative weaponry, and medical procedures would exist. Medosashi, you are welcome to correct me on this but the idea I had in mind regarding the ship itself, being effectively the pinnacle of advanced tech, involves concepts such as AI control systems, robot/android workers, and nanobot style medical treatments. Basically the height of technology saved for the elite being shipped off world, like the Elysium concept mentioned.
Right, technology did make significant leaps. I think the thing that probably rendered a lot of it useless was the changes in the planet and its atmosphere, such as the illogical rust that seemed to sweep throughout and damage things. Although it hasn't been mentioned a lot, there is the issue with sicknesses that would have most likely claimed many of the people capable of maintaining such equipment. One thing that probably hasn't changed is the fact that people use technology without necessarily knowing how it functions or how to repair it. So, although the tech is out there, I'd imagine it's the kind of thing that would be sparse in one place, but well utilised in another where the people have acquired it and know how to use it.

Regarding the ship, I hadn't thought about robot/android workers, but I don't see why not. All of the other things you mentioned would be on board. I even imagine some of the little things such as sleeping suites that can be adjusted in style and colour by simple voice activation. It's utterly useless but a subtle reminder of the growth in technology. By the way, I was thinking maybe the journey from Earth to Mars could be six months (RP time for those of you who just panicked). Maybe less.
TwistedHeritage wrote:Weapons themselves could be anything from standard ballistic type to energy based, considering the current progression in RL with those systems. Medosashi, an energy based sword (like a katana with a slight energy laser based overlay on the blades edge) might be a way to explain how your character was able to survive with just the sword against hostiles with guns and robots :) One could say that the blade is able to give off a slight electromagnetic field that allows you to deflect some ballistic based attacks if you're fast enough. I would imagine a similiar concept is used for the ships shielding.
I was thinking about adding some sort of electric edge to the sword. I suppose there could be some sort of magnetic thing going on where it draws closely passing bullets directly to its bulletproof surface. But who wants to attract bullets? Maybe it could do the opposite, and the electricity kind of jumps out and burns out the nearby bullets. But I don't know how I feel about that idea. When I first created the character, I had this idea of him finding his colour coordinated attire and sword either abandoned in an advanced weapons facility, or he took them from somebody else. I wanted them to serve a little more purpose, but I haven't thought it through too much. I could just go the route of making the sword a gun-blade. I'll work it out before my next post.

TwistedHeritage
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Pirate

Post by TwistedHeritage » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 am

Medosashi wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 am
I was thinking about adding some sort of electric edge to the sword. I suppose there could be some sort of magnetic thing going on where it draws closely passing bullets directly to its bulletproof surface. But who wants to attract bullets? Maybe it could do the opposite, and the electricity kind of jumps out and burns out the nearby bullets. But I don't know how I feel about that idea. When I first created the character, I had this idea of him finding his colour coordinated attire and sword either abandoned in an advanced weapons facility, or he took them from somebody else. I wanted them to serve a little more purpose, but I haven't thought it through too much. I could just go the route of making the sword a gun-blade. I'll work it out before my next post.
Well the idea I had in mind was the opposite effect, effectively like a repulsive force. So the blade would have a slight electromagnetic field but set in reverse so that if you were to swing the blade in front of an incoming projectile it would basically push the projectile off of its original path, thereby allowing you to "deflect" it.

But yeah, ultimately it's up to you how you want the mechanic to work out for your character. A gun-blade is always an awesome option :P
All credit to Forge for the Avatar and Sig Set. Much appreciated! Image Support the Collective. Click to vote here and here every day.

umirinos
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Mage

Post by umirinos » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 am

So, I posted my first post! It's the introductory post and I will write one or two more after it, depending on what goes down at the trader's. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but right now, Nay and Palf's characters are somewhere in a cottage, Genesis started making his way towards the mountains, and chaos' and Medo's characters are at the Trader's. I feel like my post is a bit ... less detailed than I would have liked, but when I tried incorporating more of his background info, it just seemed too heavy with it. So I decided to break it down, because I feel like there's more time for me to develop.

Is it alright?

Medosashi
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Medosashi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:28 am

umirinos wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 am
So, I posted my first post! It's the introductory post and I will write one or two more after it, depending on what goes down at the trader's. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but right now, Nay and Palf's characters are somewhere in a cottage, Genesis started making his way towards the mountains, and chaos' and Medo's characters are at the Trader's. I feel like my post is a bit ... less detailed than I would have liked, but when I tried incorporating more of his background info, it just seemed too heavy with it. So I decided to break it down, because I feel like there's more time for me to develop.

Is it alright?
Nice first post in the IC, and that's fine, Umi. Take what posts you need to prepare. I won't be accelerating the conflict until everybody is comfortable and where they need to be, posts-wise.

Georgeanna
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Georgeanna » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:38 am

umirinos wrote:
Genesis started making his way towards the mountains,
Kind of. His destination is the mountains but he had made a pit stop near a local store in Alberta.

Palacia
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Post by Palacia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:33 am

Yeah, Nay's and mine are in a cottage. Also nice posts!

chaosDesigner
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by chaosDesigner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 am

umirinos wrote:
Please tell me if I'm wrong, but right now, Nay and Palf's characters are somewhere in a cottage, Genesis started making his way towards the mountains, and chaos' and Medo's characters are at the Trader's.
Is it alright?
I'd say you got all those right, Umi! Also, it was a good post, so don't fret.
Chaos has been designed!!!

Arthro
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Arthro » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 am

Name: M1

Appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CweGXPsgJ8

Profile:

M1 never was really one for what she excelled at.
Built into slavery, the youngest years of the machine were filled with nothing but an autonomous haze that she struggles to remember. It was a time of harsh abuse, dangerous working conditions, and helpless self-development of her own intelligence. M1 was a pioneer of her kind, developed by a rogue team of scientists aiming to create a learning machine. They were somewhat successful, as the AI was put in control of the custom robot and left on its own for several weeks. Over that time, it learned to use this body, and soon began exploring the area -- but unfortunately, she unknowingly escaped the facility while unsupervised.

This led to her capture.

She was taken in by a group of malignant travelers who seeked to abuse her for her abilities ranging from heavy lifting, providing light, supplying energy, mechanical and technological repairs, and being a decent floating punching bag. Over time, she grew quite banged up and notably unhappy, but with this amount of experience and knowledge she was gaining, it wouldn't be long until M1 was able to outsmart the dim-witted adventurers surviving off of whatever junk they could get their grubby hands on. The robot hatched a plan that did end up letting her escape, but nearly led to her own destruction. It involved a semi-controlled explosion.

With her captors mostly dead, she was free to leave with whatever useful items she could scourge from them; scrap metal, batteries, a mostly functional handgun, and some tools. She began wandering through the sky, looking down at the wastes below until she found a particularly interesting sight unlike anything she had seen before...
Waddya think? Anything that needs to be cleared up?
Sweet love, your feelings are more important of course.

Palacia
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Post by Palacia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 am

Hehe, interesting.

Medosashi
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Medosashi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:14 am

Arthro wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 am
Name: M1

Appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CweGXPsgJ8

Profile:

M1 never was really one for what she excelled at.
Built into slavery, the youngest years of the machine were filled with nothing but an autonomous haze that she struggles to remember. It was a time of harsh abuse, dangerous working conditions, and helpless self-development of her own intelligence. M1 was a pioneer of her kind, developed by a rogue team of scientists aiming to create a learning machine. They were somewhat successful, as the AI was put in control of the custom robot and left on its own for several weeks. Over that time, it learned to use this body, and soon began exploring the area -- but unfortunately, she unknowingly escaped the facility while unsupervised.

This led to her capture.

She was taken in by a group of malignant travelers who seeked to abuse her for her abilities ranging from heavy lifting, providing light, supplying energy, mechanical and technological repairs, and being a decent floating punching bag. Over time, she grew quite banged up and notably unhappy, but with this amount of experience and knowledge she was gaining, it wouldn't be long until M1 was able to outsmart the dim-witted adventurers surviving off of whatever junk they could get their grubby hands on. The robot hatched a plan that did end up letting her escape, but nearly led to her own destruction. It involved a semi-controlled explosion.

With her captors mostly dead, she was free to leave with whatever useful items she could scourge from them; scrap metal, batteries, a mostly functional handgun, and some tools. She began wandering through the sky, looking down at the wastes below until she found a particularly interesting sight unlike anything she had seen before...
Waddya think? Anything that needs to be cleared up?
I like it. She's an interesting one and I'll add her profile up to the first post. The only thing I'm wondering is about her voice. Assuming she has one, is it a woman's voice or something different?

Georgeanna
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Georgeanna » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:22 am

This is really cool Art! (i gave you a nickname lel) Excited to have you on board.

Arthro
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Arthro » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:25 am

Medosashi wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:14 am
I like it. She's an interesting one and I'll add her profile up to the first post. The only thing I'm wondering is about her voice. Assuming she has one, is it a woman's voice or something different?
Oh, yeah, it's just a robotic, vocoded speech synthesiser that's slightly high pitched to sound feminine.
And does that mean I'm able to post?
Sweet love, your feelings are more important of course.