Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

The Isles of Aradia. (OOC/New Settlers Wecome!)

Where all OOC threads for RPs that will take place within the Worlds of Magic will go.

Moderators: Darkblade, Georgeanna

IronParagon
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Mage

Re: The Isles of Aradia. (OOC/New Settlers Wecome!)

Post by IronParagon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:00 am

The High Elves aren't really a unified people any more, at least not enough to have a collective opinion like that. Most of their people got assimilated into the West. There were other noble houses but the last truly great one was the Mac Tirs who were overthrown by the Sabres.

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Werebeast

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:29 am

To be fair the only reason they aren't more prominent is because for the most part everyone sticks to humanity; else they'd largely be much like Drow because of how much I babied one of Shakey's throw away races they're now this massive cornerstone much like Blackthorne or Sabre, and they best buddies with Vennet.

Also to be honest, while the 'greats' are gone there are Hrow Houses in Everglow at this very moment such as Relvingold they just hold no real power and largely are silent allies with the bigger houses so as not to be eradicated like the Sanistars and Mac Tirs were because those two were dicks. Even though Relvingold isn't even a threat to anyone they still are fearful. I'm not quite sure what they even really do but I'd imagine it's something based on alchemy.

Relvingold being Saki Dul-Sansiska's paternal genetic line, so that's why they are even relevant to be fair nyas :3
Credit to Sammy and Nicodemus; one created my set for me, the other drew the source image as a request.
Thank You Both!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Paladin

Post by Kotorchix » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:12 pm

May I know more about the Tropics? I would like to establish a new character in a seaside town/city/settlement, possibly having lived there for the past thirty years or so. They would have unlawful connections, maybe even with pirates. So... yeah, any info would be awesome! I likely won't bring them in until December, but I'd like to do a bit of planning.
:purplebullet: Follow me on Twitter! :purplebullet:

:splat:

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Okay it's filled with me voicing my train of thought; but I think it honestly holds together everything pretty well that I've set up to this point. Drake is a brilliant man and he's just thinking all this out becaus eof one simple phrase nyas

Enjoy! It took an hour!
Credit to Sammy and Nicodemus; one created my set for me, the other drew the source image as a request.
Thank You Both!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:52 pm

Great post! Sorry it took me a while to get back. Been packing my bags. :3 Okay... next few days, I'm gonna be pretty busy. In 24 hours I'm going to be leaving the country, and gonna be busy traveling and going from place-to-place until... uh... Mondayish? And then I'll continue to be a bit spotty until December, but I will AT LEAST get one post out per week.

There's a few people I'm gonna put on hold until after the Senate Meeting is adjourned/finished. That way time-wise things don't get too messy. On Hold: Ludlow Accord members on Caybourne (excluding Elmer Twicefreed), Dul-Sansiska 'bodyguard', Darius Black, Nimbe Elassore-Rodin, Dironthir, and Metheryl/Kraai.

Active: Claire Ludlow, Lyron Piers, Harold Umbridge, Elmer Twicefreed, Rasheba Heartstone, Carndas Rodin

Skummy, I'd be more than happy for you to skip Metheryl forward to the current time, if you'd like. She'd likely have been resting and/or meditating silently in her room.

ALSO! SOMEONE TELL ME ALL ABOUT THE TROPICS! I NEED READING MATERIAL FOR MY FLIGHT. xD

... also, Happy Halloween. :twisted:

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:11 am

Okay so here's the deal, if Shakey won't tell you about he Tropics I will; also that scene is terrifying well done

The Tropics is the name of a small set of islands far south of the mainland, the most I know about are the main one and it's two sentinel islands known as 'Eyes' I'm unsure if it has more territory. The Eyes I do not remember the name of right now but If I recall they are lookouts tot he east and west and filed with Grimalkyn and Birhor. The north sector of the main island is where the Sabres live, where commerce happens, and basically where everybody who is anybody has a luxury home located along the tropical coast with the Sabre's approval of such investments. There's lots of wine and dance and it's very greco-roman all around with while marble, high columns, massive open air areas and everything feels communal and strongly exotic.

To the south are where the Prides, Grimalkyn, and Birhor live and hunt and fish and work and you get the idea- this is a rather large place so still most of the island is jungle and hunting lands for these peoples with only the northernmost under Sabre's safe authority in a sense. In reality it's perfectly safe to journey here with a guide I'm sure and the Untamed Isle's expedition forces examined some of the coves and hunting grounds while they were here but I think it's prolly pretty rude to come up in the Birhor's tribal lands or to poke at Pride clans.

There are 26 Pride clans A-Z, each one is headed by an alpha male who mates the most to pass on his strong genes and such and such- think lions, when the alpha is too old he is mauled to death in combat by a younger leader. The men hunt, the women nurture cubs and keep the turf safe, and everyone grows up closely connected to one another. If you use or study magic or other forbidden arts, or leave the territories without permission, or are found to have mated with other Tribes (subsets of the High Feline species) you are banished forever. J'Zara is a victim of this culture, and the day she was force out her family did th e'Dance of Joy' which is a sacred set of movements to praise god fortune. The Prides are NOT the original High Feline ancestry.

Grimalkyn are the ancestors, Grimalkyn are a panther-esque tribe also located in the south and despite their population's decline due to enslavement during the Mac Tir era int he island they are still the dominant Tribe in the eyes of High Feline groups. They resemble the Shadewalker and they are respected enough to not cause too much of a kerfuffle when they show up in other Tribe's lands. For the most part, outside of those captured and raised or bred in captivity elsewhere, they are only loyal to the Sabres and Birhor peoples and act as guardians, spies, and soldiers out of an unpayable debt for freeing them form Mac Tir who saw the cats as mere tools that you could work until they fell apart.

Grimalkyn are tall, vicious, and extremely fast creatures that love to be of helping nature to their friend int he Sabre and Birhor peoples. also no matter what Tribe you are, or how long since you've been in the Tropics- the Birhor are viewed with respect and love on an ancestral level due to the fact that the two races grew and evolved side by side and are crucial to the other's survival in the Tropics. This was seen in Verdant Lea, when Celene's head was sliced off the Cats joined in a celebration of praise that even the visiting Everglowians joined in on and the entire place was filled with howls and cheers. THAT is how important the Tropics cats feel about the natives.

Lastly is the Birhor, but I have little info at this time; they are tribal peoples with intricate magic and ceremonial practices that I'm not entirely sure on. They are a warrior people and are known to be agile like cats and strong, sharing traits from their lifetimes in the company of High Felines. Nyas I think that's all I can say without Shakey getting mad at me for butchering this shit- hopefully I haven't but if he changes it it is his creation I just remember this stuff from it nyas
Thank You Both!

Shakey Jake
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Nobility

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 am

Aaaaah The Tropics...come closer and I shall regale you...

The Tropics is an tropic island off the mainland that is ruled by House Sabre and the birhor tribes. Sabre rule is not absolute. The tribes understood that the Everglow elite would never allow them to exist outside of their control so they voted to unify with house Sabre through marriage. While the Sabres officially rule the isle the tribes are autonomous and govern themselves. The deal is that the Sabres will not encroach upon traditional tribal culture and the tribes will work for the Sabres, working the land.

The Tropics is made up of several distinct races. The grimalkyn cat people. The birhor tribal people, the neo birhor who are of birhor decent but live outside of the tribes and various other immigrants. The grimalkyn population has several different peoples. First there are those who consider themselves pure. They live in the jungle as cats and have little to no interaction with mankind. There are grimalkyn who live in tribes/prides closely related to the birhor tribes. There are grimalkyn who are members of the birhor tribes proper and some that live as neo birhor shunning their more animalistic traits and living as man.
The neo birhor are people born on the isle who do not live among the tribes. They live a life far closer to the kind of lives lived on the mainland. There are varying degrees of dedication to traditional birhor ways, some dabble in true tribal culture others are completely devoid of tribal influences.

Trade on the isles is largely made up of fresh produce. Exotic fruits and flowers are exported to the mainland. Having fresh produce such as this is a sign of wealth on the mainland so there is a healthy demand for it. The Sabres have worked hard to make exotic flowers and fruits high style premium items. Various tobaccos are also imported. Pipe smoking has seen a massive rise in recent years, the Sabre influence has seen smoking get to a point where it would be difficult to find a single household in the entire city where there wasn't at least one smoker. From The Bronze Way to the Senate tobaccos are big business. The produce is generally moved to Everglow City where various Sabre factories process it all. Perfumes made from the flowers are also rather popular. The biggest trading item though is wine. A section of The Tropics is given up to vineyards. While Verdant Lea makes more traditional wines, The Tropics climate allows for rather exotic tipples.

There is something of an arms business on The Tropics too. Birhor magic is noted for its brutal elemental force. There is a market for birhor encnated wands and staves. As well as more traditional tribal weapons such as waspdust and firesand.

The Tropics is known for its beautiful beaches, deep jungle and ultra modern docklands. In order to properly trade in perishables House Sabre completely gutted The Tropics docking areas so that ship turn around could be as fast as possible. Entering and leaving The Tropics by boat is a smooth and easy process.

The waters around The Tropics are smooth and calm, among the calmest in The Sorrows. This means that many passing vessels like to use Tropics waters when passing. Those who routinely pass close by The Tropics are expected to pay for the privilege. It is not unknown for Tropics forces to drive ships into the brutal waters closer to the mainland if they continue to use the waters without paying for it.

There many small islets and coves around The Tropics where smugglers and pirates are known to hide. However, violent activity by these groups is quite rare because The Pride have historically hunted down and mauled pirates and troublemakers to death. The Tropics coves are generally used as resting spots or neutral grounds by the less desirable for fear who getting the attention of The Pride.

There is a large town on The Tropics, as of yet unnamed because I haven't yet come up with it.

Also a thriving black market. The main shady trade is based around the more potent opiates and tobacco like substances that are noted as a danger to the public.

Education depends on birth. The birhor tribes have an education based around the land. How to take from it without ever taking too much. They believe that nature will provide so long as it is not abused. Tribal children are brought up to know the jungle, the beach and the waters. A member of a tribe would be unable to read an Aradian book but they'd be able to tell you what the tide on The Tropics would be like in a month. The neo birhor tend to mix academic education with trade based education. The Sabres encourage families to educate their children.

The Tropics is noted for having no official Aradian temple. A subject that pisses Temple elites off. Numerous attempts and promises by the Sabres have been made but as of yet The Tropics has no Temple.

A good source of income is the rental/purchasing of holiday villas.

Are there particular things you want to know about?

I'm not like Skummy and IP I don't like to write detailed histories, family trees etc... I find they chain me up. I write as I need. I prefer the freedom of that even though it can leave things a little vague.

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Shakey, you realize I just make this crap up as I go yes? Maria used to be a throwaway party guest and Divan used to have no siblings and was just a weird elf man nyas you shush I like to fly by seat of pants
Thank You Both!

Shakey Jake
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Nobility

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:31 am

I ain't dissing the cat. What I mean is compared to you and the Ironpapa I don't write much history stuff. It's all in my head in my palace of surplus delights. Obviously it's better to write histories etc... But it pains ME. IT BUUUURS!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Hey guys, just letting you know I am still here and reading. Hope to get a post up before the weekend.

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 am

The Tropics is made up of several distinct races.
The grimalkyn cat people.
The birhor tribal people,
the neo birhor who are of birhor decent but live outside of the tribes and various other immigrants.
The neo birhor are people born on the isle who do not live among the tribes. They live a life far closer to the kind of lives lived on the mainland. There are varying degrees of dedication to traditional birhor ways, some dabble in true tribal culture others are completely devoid of tribal influences.

There is something of an arms business on The Tropics too. Birhor magic is noted for its brutal elemental force. There is a market for birhor encnated wands and staves. As well as more traditional tribal weapons such as waspdust and firesand.

There many small islets and coves around The Tropics where smugglers and pirates are known to hide. However, violent activity by these groups is quite rare because The Pride have historically hunted down and mauled pirates and troublemakers to death. The Tropics coves are generally used as resting spots or neutral grounds by the less desirable for fear who getting the attention of The Pride.

There is a large town on The Tropics, as of yet unnamed because I haven't yet come up with it. (Kotorchix: :poke: )

Also a thriving black market. The main shady trade is based around the more potent opiates and tobacco like substances that are noted as a danger to the public.

Are there particular things you want to know about?
Now that I've finally been able to get on my computer, I can get back to you on this! Sorry for taking so long. I whittled this quote down to the parts I'm most interested in.

This character, I'm planning on a title of 'Daughter of the Sorrows' (or 'The Daughter' as most who come in contact will be told to address her), something of a witch/shaman-esque character, although not necessarily Birhor herself. She likely just 'appeared' about 25 years ago or so, practicing black magics. I'd put her either in a slummier spot of this unnamed town, or on the edge of it. Preferably near to the Sorrows' edge if possible. Interested parties might even assume she has some demonic connections due to her magic. If there's something we can work out with the Sabres having some beef with her or her image (she seems the opposite of what they want), I'd definitely be into talking that over. She does keep a very low profile if she can help it, however.

I'd be interested in her main source of income being uh... black magic market stuff. Mostly in designing/creating magical items that are considered too dangerous or undesirable. Love potions, poisons, magical drugs, soul gems, magic-infused weaponry, and the like.

Appearance I have in mind: Image
Shakey Jake wrote: I'm not like Skummy and IP I don't like to write detailed histories, family trees etc... I find they chain me up. I write as I need. I prefer the freedom of that even though it can leave things a little vague.
Dude, the arc with the Ludlow deaths and this character is likely the most pre-planning I've put in. xD Everything else is made up on the fly. And the family trees are more just a hobby... slowly filling them in as I come up with ideas for the Rodins' history.

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:05 am

OKAY!

SO IT TOOK TWO WEEKS, THROUGH MOVING, FATIGUE, AND A WISDOM TEETH EXTRACTION SURGERY BUT BY GOD I HAVE A POST UP NOW!

It's half retconned history, half replies, half awesomeness of new shit coming through

Dinth if you find that I have messed anything up regarding Briochi please let me know and I will edit it, I don't want to step over any boundaries but did want to write a lot about the relationship to Dul-Sansiska.

Kotor luckily you have been awya so I guess I haven't kept you waiting

I'mma go die now because this shit was 11 pages
Thank You Both!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Skummy the Kitty wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:05 am
OKAY!

SO IT TOOK TWO WEEKS, THROUGH MOVING, FATIGUE, AND A WISDOM TEETH EXTRACTION SURGERY BUT BY GOD I HAVE A POST UP NOW!

It's half retconned history, half replies, half awesomeness of new shit coming through

Dinth if you find that I have messed anything up regarding Briochi please let me know and I will edit it, I don't want to step over any boundaries but did want to write a lot about the relationship to Dul-Sansiska.

Kotor luckily you have been awya so I guess I haven't kept you waiting

I'mma go die now because this shit was 11 pages
Great post! And those are some eventful weeks...

And sorry, will have to wait until tomorrow to be able to post. I'll have a few hours alone so will be able to write.

dinthalion
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Adventurer

Post by dinthalion » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 am

Skummy, great post. It doesn't mess me up at all it'll add a little more drama to the briochi story line.
Thanks Sammy!
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 am

I was hoping it would yay!
Thank You Both!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:16 am

Is it ok if we skip Elmer/Drake to re-entering the Ludlow Estate, Skummy?

And dinth, love that you referenced the sappy love book! xD

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 am

Oh god please do!
Thank You Both!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:31 am

There! Post done. I still need to do a Claire post and a Carndas/Rasheba post, but run out of steam for now.

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 am

Meow meow oh boy do I know that feeling, I placed some Drake response that I think suits him.

Such evil is happening all over the place, the fuckin moment I decide to start throwing my characters some bones because I've been constantly hitting them with pain and heartache XD
Thank You Both!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Skummy the Kitty wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 am
Such evil is happening all over the place, the fuckin moment I decide to start throwing my characters some bones because I've been constantly hitting them with pain and heartache XD
I thought you were going a bit easy on them. xD