Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Intrigue, Murder, Spies, etc. (Interest Check)

Gather ideas and brainstorm with other members, recruit players, make partner requests, or just check for interest in an idea you have. A great place to browse to see what is taking place or build new settings and worlds from scratch.

Moderators: Forge, Georgeanna

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

Intrigue, Murder, Spies, etc. (Interest Check)

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:00 am

Ilvoran was once a thriving country. The nation is ruled by a monarchy and in current power is the Devereaux family. The Devereaux's have been in power for the last several hundred years, and the nation has been fairly prosperous under their rule, particularly in recent years.

All great things, however, must come to an end.

Due to [soon-to-be decided] circumstances, the economy is crumbling. People are looking for someone to blame, and fingers are pointing. The Royal Family has not yet been blamed, at least by the people. There is, however, discontent among some royal advisors.

... and that's about all I have. I have some other vague and not-so-vague ideas rolling around, but since I want this to be a collaborative work, I don't want to create everything and force that upon you. If I get anyone interested, we'll discuss ideas and hopefully come to some decisions about the finer details.

What I'm Looking For:
- Looking for a partner who is willing to play multiple characters, do a bit of world-building, plot some things and yanno, do some writing.
- Multiple plot lines (like a TV show where sometimes we focus on what's happening with certain characters, and sometimes we focus on other aspects of the story).
- I think this will work best in a 1x1 or maybe a small group of 3-4, so depending on if I get any interest will depend on how that's decided.
- The frequency of posts: I'd like if it wasn't every month or so, but I'm really not going to be picky. All that I ask if you're no longer interested, for whatever reason, let me know and we can have as much time between posts as you want. I can give a firm commitment to a minimum of once per week (I can sometimes do more than that, but I don't want to commit to more than that), but it's also going to depend on how long our posts are going to be and what is going on and such.

I guess what all of the above boils down to is, communication. Let me know if you're ditching, let me know if you want something added or taken away, just let me know.

What I don't care about:
- I don't care about post length. Ideally, enough that there something to work with, but my posts are going to vary depending on what's going on, so.

What I have in Mind:
Specific
- I have this image of some backstabbing event where someone within the castle takes over ruling the people. How this happens, exactly, I'm not sure but the specifics I do have in mind are of at least one member of the royal family, and maybe a trusted advisor or bodyguard or something escaping and living in hiding. And involve some traveling.
- Ilvoran is the country. It's completely made up, as will the rest of the world. It has some influences from real-world countries, but we can make up any customs or whatever.
- I do like the idea of the royal family being well-liked by the people, but maybe they start to blame them or maybe not.

Vague
- Political Drama (including backstabbing family members)
- Outside drama (war with another nation?)

I'm super open to ideas. I have a vague story idea, and with some brainstorming, I think we can make an interesting story, so if there is something you want to add, change, etc. about any of the stuff I've outlined above, I'm open to it.

Also, I left a lot of stuff vague about the makeup of the country (is it an isolated island, is it bordered closely by other nations? I want this to be our world, together, so we can discuss how it's set up which will determine their relationships with allies, enemies, etc.)

This is already long, rambling, and slightly disorganized so I'll leave it at this for now and see if anyone bites.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Re: Intrigue, Murder, Spies, etc. (Interest Check)

Post by Ghostwriter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:04 am

This is already long, rambling, and slightly disorganized so I'll leave it at this for now and see if anyone bites.
Fish nibble? Yah know, not exactly a bite, but the lure bobs up and down a bit.

Other than the already admitted disorganized rambling, I do like world building and plots. The only problem I see is I have a weakness when it comes to npcs, which basically boil down to playing a lot of characters. So it really depends how many characters I think... otherwise, yea it sounds interesting. About posting times, Im guessing the other RP isn't moving as fast as you'd like, I was just about to ask you about something when I noticed this post actually. About length, mine vary as well so thats not an issue.

Specifics= Was you suggesting one of us play the protagonist and one play the antagonist? If we do that is each post supposed to be something like, what we do that day? That week? Whats the timeframe of how fast the IC is going? Like if you are playing people in the castle, did you want someone to play the "badguys" that plot to take over and its more like a game of chess where you do one move and I do another? I ask because it seems the scale of the story in mind might be larger and less personal than a normal rp. Though maybe I misinterpreted your suggestion, Id all be for playing one of the family members instead of an outside family that ways theres some closer character interaction. Im just trying to get you to expand on that point of what you were considering~

The vague, well its super vague. I can help brainstorm ideas and stuff but it would help first to world build. Like, is there magic? Is there technology? What is special about this kingdom or country in the first place? If its old timey, politics and religion was super close, and people had wars with outside religions. Not believing in their god was reason enough to kill or enslave you. Having a different skin color was too. Heck having a different gender was a good enough reason to be excluded from politics and thats not very long ago~ So to have political drama, you first need to have political rules, a ruling class, etc. If its just based on money, then a government needs to exist and a way for men to acquire the most amount of wealth. If its based on magic and power, is there a way to get more of it or is it just based on an invisible die roll when people are born? Stuff like that needs to be considered, since humans have a natural tendency to want power and the powerful have a natural tendency to abuse it over the powerless.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:26 am

I'll PM you, but in partial response, much of the vague was intentionally done so, so we could decide as partners what kind of world we wanted it to be. Vague enough that it can fit into whatever specifics we come up with.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Post by Ghostwriter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:31 am

Oh I thought you was wanting to do the brainstorming here in the forum post, I can do either. I guess it just depends if you think its private or not really. I dont mind letting others read what we create, maybe someone else likes some of the ideas and wants to join, or wants to incorporate it into a crossover type world in the same universe~

But alright, cool, Im actually surprised how fast you replied. I sort of expected a turnover time of like a day or so before you noticed my nibble. :p
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect