We have a new Global Moderator! Congratulations Georgeanna!

It's new banner time and we need your help to choose one! Please head over to the poll and vote for your favourite.

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up!

Interest Check - Action Adventure Fantasy with FATE Elements

Gather ideas and brainstorm with other members, recruit players, make partner requests, or just check for interest in an idea you have. A great place to browse to see what is taking place or build new settings and worlds from scratch.

Moderators: Forge, Georgeanna

Tolvo
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Vampire

Interest Check - Action Adventure Fantasy with FATE Elements

Post by Tolvo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 am

I was curious if anyone would be interested in something with a very very lite system based on FATE. If you want to read up on FATE you can do so Here. Basically this would be an action adventure with puzzles, combat, mysteries, and more. Think in the same realm as Dungeons and Dragons, or Pathfinder, but we won't be rolling dice instead we'll be focusing on the RP side of things.

As for the setting I am still working on it, but I have the gist of it done. In essence it is a setting which takes place across multiple planets that are linked magically. One can travel between them and they'll have different gravity, day and night cycles, flora, fauna, kingdoms, and empires. There will be a lot of species/races to pick from which I will put some down below as examples. You can also pitch species/races to me. You can pitch anything to me, while I'm the GM I'd like these worlds to be collaborative.

So similar to DnD and many Tabletops, how I was planning to run things is that I would be the final judge on matters and act as the DM, this means I won't have a player character but will control the NPC's and guide the story for you the players.
Cristalken - Crocodile/Alligator people.
C’tholtan - Tentacle faced deep sea humanoid.
Daemonite - Similar to Tiefling.
Drakonian - Similar to Dragonborn.
Dwarf
Elf
Ent
Gnoll
Gnome
Goblin
Goliath
Groat - Toad People.
Human
Kitsune
Kobold
Lamia
Minotaur
Orc
Tengu
Triton
Troll
We are going to have classes, skills, stunts, and aspects, but those are mostly for your character sheets and defining things about your character that we can understand at a glance. I won't go "Sorry you need +2 int to do that or think of that." Like in most things I just ask for stuff to be reasonable.

I do have the character sheets ready so if you are interested and want an idea of what is expected, here is the sheet.
Player Name: (You the player’s name)
Character Name: (Your character’s name)
Character Class: (Your character’s class)
Race/Species: (Please choose a Races/Species, characters may be Biracial).

Appearance: (Describe your character’s appearance, height, weight, anything that could be important. You can use a picture but there must be a description).

Skills: (Please list your chosen skills)

Aspects: (Please put down and describe 3 aspects).

Stunts: (Please put down and describe 3 stunts).

History: (The history of your character. Details in here may come up later as well as characters and life events).

Equipment: (Please list your character’s equipment. Just try to be reasonable).
Skills are mostly for us, to determine how good your character is at anything. You can create your own or choose from the selected. For skills to work we will not be rolling but just keeping them in mind as we go. I may question an action if for example someone with a Fair in Athletics threw a touchdown winning throw, how are they throwing so good if they're not that great at athletics?

One Great (+4) skill
Two Good (+3) skills
Three Fair (+2) skills
Four Average (+1) skills
Infinite Mediocre (0) skills
Two Bad (-2) skills
One Awful (-4) skill

Example Skills

Acrobatics
Arcana
Athletics
Contacts
Crafting
History
Insight
Investigation
Lie
Martial Arts
Medicine
Perception
Performance
Persuasion
Profession
Religion
Resources
Riding
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Survival
Aspects, or traits, are things about your character that are not typical. For instance can you cast magic? You will want to make it an aspect of your character that they can cast said magic. Aspects are very basic, for more specific abilities you'll want to look at stunts.

Aspect Examples
Haunted: This character is haunted by a spirit.
Magician's Red: This character has the element of fire and is able to cast fire magic.
Tough Enough: This character is so tough they can become more convincing by showing off their toughness.
Stunts are abilities you have that you can use. Please be reasonable is all I ask. Your character is going to gain more of these as we go. Stunts are things that your character can do without risk of failure, as such try not to make them too powerful or have any auto-hitting qualities. The more powerful a stunt is the less often you can use it.

Example Stunts
Backflip: This character can perform a perfect backflip instantly.
Fireball: This character may throw a fireball roughly the size of their hand that bursts on contact with anything it hits.
Teleport: This character may teleport once per long rest.
Sorry if that's all a lot to take in for an interest check. Let me know if you have any questions or are interested. ^_^

Lavorther
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Re: Interest Check - Action Adventure Fantasy with FATE Elements

Post by Lavorther » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 am

Ooh, this sounds interesting. I'll go read up on FATE first, but if it's as fun as it sounds you can expect a character here soon. Hadn't seen any actual tabletops on here (or RPs based on those at least) except for Forge's attempt at DMing. At least to my knowledge, I might very well have missed something.

Tolvo
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Tolvo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 am

FATE is thankfully pretty simple. And we're simplifying it further even. ^_^

Let me know if you do have any questions.

JackDoggo
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Necromancer

Post by JackDoggo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:13 am

I'd like to join in when your roleplay is up. But I still need to come up with a character so I will be reading up on FATE and some fantasy elements.
Are we living in a simulation? Are we all bound to death the moment we were born? Who knows? Maybe I'm overthinking this a little bit... It doesn't hurt to be careful though...

Tolvo
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Tolvo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:16 am

Alright sounds cool. ^_^

Lavorther
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Post by Lavorther » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:00 am

Player Name: Lavorther
Character Name: Yda Danvor
Character Class: Rogue
Race/Species: Daemonite

Appearance: Image was huge, so linking it instead
She's a bit on the tall side with purple-tinted skin and yellow cat-like eyes. Small horns peek through her short purple-black hair and she has a tail that's just slightly shorter than her legs.

Skills:
Great (+4): Stealth
Good (+3): Acrobatics, Sleight of hand
Fair (+2): Insight, Medicine, Perception
Average (+1): Lie, Persuasion, Riding, Survival
Bad (-1): Arcana, History
Awful (-2): Athletics

Aspects:
Devil's Advocate: Daemonites are discriminated against, her presence sometimes drawing unwanted attention, suspicion or aggression.
Smooth Talker: Can haggle prices or convince someone to see things her way.
One with the Shadows: Can melt into shadows or other badly-lit areas, becoming practically invisible and harder to detect.

Stunts:
Wallrunning: Can run along walls or other vertical surfaces for a brief period of time.
Fan of Knives: Flings throwing knives at all enemies in the area for minor damage, and stunning them for a moment.
Pickpocket: Can steal from someone if she managed to get behind them unseen.

History: A life on the streets with the local Thieves Guild made her tough but abrasive, not really caring about what people think of her. They trained her in the art of stealth and thievery, and she earned quite a reputation among her fellow guild members for the things she managed to lift. After rising through the ranks of the guild, she's now more or less free to do whatever she pleases as long as it provides profit to the guild in some way, and has command of several of the lower-ranking members. While not many of her victims actually knew she was the one who stole from them, the guild always leaves behind a little note with the guild's symbol whenever they take anything of significant value, either monetary or sentimental. Because of this, Yda has many enemies in the city for her ties with the guild.

Equipment: Leather armor. Two daggers. Several throwing knives.

Tolvo
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Tolvo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 am

Your character is accepted. ^_^

Martin the faithful
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Rogue

Post by Martin the faithful » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Player Name: Martin the Faithful
Character Name: Matsuno “Andrew” Konoye
Character Class: Sorcer (who works his magic as a Bard)
Race/Species: Kitsune.

Human form: In his human form he has Auburn hair that is shoulder length. He has crystal clear blue eyes that sparkle. He is lithe (110lbs and 5’8”) and quick with his hand and feet. When performing, he likes to dress in bright colors of a western bard. He will dress in oriental clothing at home.

Fox form: In his fox form the color of his hair and eyes are the same. The end of his tail has some black hair and a white tip.

Skills: (Please list your chosen skills)

One Great (+4) Performance
Two Good (+3) Martial Arts, Arcana
Three Fair (+2) Acrobatics, Crafting, Lie
Four Average (+1) Resources, Contacts, Insight, History
infinite Mediocre (0) Investigation, Athletics, Medicine, Perception, Persuasion, Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Survival
Two Bad (-2) Religion, Profession
One Awful (-4) Riding

Aspects: (Please put down and describe 3 aspects).
Master of illusions – Matsuno’s strongest magic is that of illusions.
Silver-Tongued performer - Matsuno instinctively is always playing a role. The struggle is when he has to play himself. He knows what people like to hear, and how they want to hear it.
Costumer – Given enough time, Matsuno like to make his own costumes. This helps with disguises, but it takes time.

Stunts: (Please put down and describe 3 stunts).
Linguist. You know a wide range of languages. +2 to Lore whenever reading, writing, speaking or translating an unusual language. (adapted from Spirit of the Century SRD, §6.2.1)
I Know a Guy Who has a Sister that has a friend who knows a Guy. Sometimes it’s not who you know, but who the people you know, know. Many of your contacts are, themselves, very well connected. +2 to Contacts when you attempt to deal with the underworld.
Walking Library. Your prodigious reading has paid off in spades, and you are able to recall minute details from even the most obscure literary works. You don’t ever have to spend a fate point to declare that you have the proper tools for research using Lore, even in extreme situations (like being imprisoned and unable to access a library). This source of opposition is just off the table. (adapted from Spirit of the Century SRD, §6.2.2)

History: Matsuno has been living the life of a bard for years. His father was trained as a monk (eastern) and his mother was a singer (western). This was a forbidden love, but as stories go, love always wins. His father Hiro married his mother and left the monastery. Since he was a kit he as been traveling from place to place with his family. Matsuno was taught the ways of fighting with his hand, feet, and teeth. His magic came as an accident, was meditating and singing, and things started to happen. An elder of his clan said that it was because he was able to focus the images in his mind that the magic happened.

Matsuno has found different races to be interesting. He likes learning customs, songs, language, and manors of the people he has encountered. He has a weakness for books. Like most Katsume, he tries to keep his true nature hidden. Matuno has his dark side too. He has worked with thieves’ guild over the year to perform while pick pockets work the crowds or as a courier from one guild to another or to a fence and between noble households. His father caught him once, being an honorable monk, Matsuno was given the choice to change his ways or leave. He left to save his family from the guild. He was in to far.

Matsuno has issues with horses, It is more of a mutual hatred.

Equipment:
Koto
Lute/lyre
Flute
Disguise kit
2 daggers
A shortsword
Clothing (male/female)

Tolvo
Scrub
Scrub

Post by Tolvo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Character accepted. Nice, we're starting to have a group form. ^_^

Also nice it's been a while since I played Spirit of the Century.