WELCOME TO THE COLLECTIVE!

A HUGE congratulations to our October 2017 Member of the Month!

We have a few new bits for you to look at:
So You Want to be a Moderator?
Annual Award Nominations
Storycraft - An RP Contest

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up!

Chrizn RP Brainstorming

Gather ideas and brainstorm with other members, recruit players, make partner requests, or just check for interest in an idea you have. A great place to browse to see what is taking place or build new settings and worlds from scratch.

Moderators: Darkblade, Forge

SqueakyWarrior
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Mage

Chrizn RP Brainstorming

Post by SqueakyWarrior » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:44 am

(I've said this before, but I'm new to this, so forgive me for stumbles.)

I've already got the basis for a roleplay idea, Chrizn, (Which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=2763 ) but It'd be nice to get some feedback, and things I could potentially add..?
Also just seeing who'd be interested in joining, I guess.

Also character idea I had for myself (Feedback for this too?):
Triss Nightingale is a 16 year old Dreian girl who works on a feathered-dragon ranch with her family most of the time, but she goes to battle school on weekends. Her parents want her to become a soldier and fight in the war to honor her country and other such drivel, in her opinion.
Since she was twelve, she has had little interest in winning the war, when she found out Drei was doing it for sport. She still is fine with learning to fight, and have duels and such that she feels are /actually/ honorable, but refuses to enroll in the army.
Her parents have continuous arguments about this, among other things, and she tends to sneak out on her baby minokawa, Talon, usually to the borders of Dreian lands, half-heartily hoping to get some sort of understanding with people from the other nations.
Last edited by SqueakyWarrior on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivorycoasting
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Adventurer

Re: Chrizen RP Brainstorming

Post by ivorycoasting » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am

I still like your story idea, and your character too. Where were you thinking of heading with her and the story? She sounds like the good basis for a revolutionary, to bring the tribes together.

SqueakyWarrior
Scrub
Scrub

Post by SqueakyWarrior » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 am

ivorycoasting wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am
I still like your story idea, and your character too. Where were you thinking of heading with her and the story? She sounds like the good basis for a revolutionary, to bring the tribes together.
That would be a good idea--I'd mostly just had her as an idea, not entirely sure what to do with her, but that would certainly work! Thanks, for the idea and the compliment!

Nicodemus
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Adventurer

Post by Nicodemus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Hey again, Squeaks. A process I forgot to mention in the other thread is Character Sheets. You can request them in any form, a one sentence description or a standard sheet like below. The point of them, in the OOC thread, is to make sure all participants understand the RP and have made a proper character. You can extend the curtesy of tweaking the description if you see something that doesn't jive, or if it's fine, you can simply post that the character is accepted. (On the flip side of this, most of the time you should wait for character approval before posting anything in someone else's RP). Again, this is usually in the OOC thread but I've given you an example using my character to show my interest. I like your world and decided I do want to have a go at it, if you approve my character.
Name: Marcus Albender
Nation: Veraghast
Appearance: Stress-induced wrinkles and slim, square features. Dark, peppered hair and medium skin tone. Usually formal or business garb.
About: Marcus is a self-made business man of Nerro. After spending his youth in the army, he gained prestige as an inventor and eventually established his own company. Quite pragmatic, Marcus isn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers to get what he wants. These days, what he wants is access to the strange metallic properties of the core, but not for the sake of his nation. Marcus sees much more profitable business opportunities if he gets there first.

Ghorroj
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

Post by Ghorroj » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm

nickraborn wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:35 pm
A process I forgot to mention in the other thread is Character Sheets. You can request them in any form, a one sentence description or a standard sheet like below. The point of them, in the OOC thread, is to make sure all participants understand the RP and have made a proper character.
There is one small thing you need to be made aware of. Sometimes you get players who are absolutely adept at making character sheets. You see these profiles, and it's clear that these people have put hours into thinking up interesting characters who fit the setting.

Then it comes to playtime, and you gradually realise that the character sheets they put up must have been made by someone else, because the characters they're playing don't bear any resemblance to the profiles. In fact, the people you're playing with don't seem to have any facility for storytelling at all.

Now, just to be absolutely clear: this is not something I've come across here. In general, the people here are amazing and really spoiled me when it comes to actually having profiles that accurately reflect the people they play in the thread. That's what made it so jarring when I came across the profile/character disconnect on a different site, which I won't specify at all. If you find it and your eyes bleed, it's not my fault because I never told you where to find it.

Anyway, that's a limitation of character sheets that you need to look out for. Additionally, sometimes, depending on the setting, it's best to go for a minimalist profile rather than some complex and labyrinthine behemoth. This especially helps if it's a profile for a character someone hasn't played before.
Image Forge made (mostly)

SqueakyWarrior
Scrub
Scrub

Post by SqueakyWarrior » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:33 am

nickraborn wrote:
Hey again, Squeaks. A process I forgot to mention in the other thread is Character Sheets. You can request them in any form, a one sentence description or a standard sheet like below. The point of them, in the OOC thread, is to make sure all participants understand the RP and have made a proper character. You can extend the curtesy of tweaking the description if you see something that doesn't jive, or if it's fine, you can simply post that the character is accepted. (On the flip side of this, most of the time you should wait for character approval before posting anything in someone else's RP). Again, this is usually in the OOC thread but I've given you an example using my character to show my interest. I like your world and decided I do want to have a go at it, if you approve my character.
Name: Marcus Albender
Nation: Veraghast
Appearance: Stress-induced wrinkles and slim, square features. Dark, peppered hair and medium skin tone. Usually formal or business garb.
About: Marcus is a self-made business man of Nerro. After spending his youth in the army, he gained prestige as an inventor and eventually established his own company. Quite pragmatic, Marcus isn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers to get what he wants. These days, what he wants is access to the strange metallic properties of the core, but not for the sake of his nation. Marcus sees much more profitable business opportunities if he gets there first.
So a few questions:
For a character sheet, would I just put that as a new topic in Interest checks/Brainstorming, or would I put it in as part of this topic? Also, can I make my own character sheet with what I want people to include with a character, or do I need to use your example, or is there pre-made ones?

Other than that, thank you so much for the help, and you character looks really good!

SqueakyWarrior
Scrub
Scrub

Post by SqueakyWarrior » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:34 am

Ghorroj wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm
nickraborn wrote:
A process I forgot to mention in the other thread is Character Sheets. You can request them in any form, a one sentence description or a standard sheet like below. The point of them, in the OOC thread, is to make sure all participants understand the RP and have made a proper character.
There is one small thing you need to be made aware of. Sometimes you get players who are absolutely adept at making character sheets. You see these profiles, and it's clear that these people have put hours into thinking up interesting characters who fit the setting.

Then it comes to playtime, and you gradually realise that the character sheets they put up must have been made by someone else, because the characters they're playing don't bear any resemblance to the profiles. In fact, the people you're playing with don't seem to have any facility for storytelling at all.

Now, just to be absolutely clear: this is not something I've come across here. In general, the people here are amazing and really spoiled me when it comes to actually having profiles that accurately reflect the people they play in the thread. That's what made it so jarring when I came across the profile/character disconnect on a different site, which I won't specify at all. If you find it and your eyes bleed, it's not my fault because I never told you where to find it.

Anyway, that's a limitation of character sheets that you need to look out for. Additionally, sometimes, depending on the setting, it's best to go for a minimalist profile rather than some complex and labyrinthine behemoth. This especially helps if it's a profile for a character someone hasn't played before.
Thanks for the info!