Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.

Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Iron and Gold (Interest Check)

Gather ideas and brainstorm with other members, recruit players, make partner requests, or just check for interest in an idea you have. A great place to browse to see what is taking place or build new settings and worlds from scratch.

Moderators: Forge, Georgeanna

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Rogue

Re: Iron and Gold (Interest Check)

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:07 am

*Chuckles in Titanfall*
Just.. kidding. I'm gonna try to be original for once in my life. Let me know if this is too powerful, or too weak.

Character Name: Kane Linnon, AKA The Lich
Gender (Optional): Male
Appearance: Thin and lanky, but not overly so. Still well muscled. Thin face, with a narrow chin. Brown hair and green eyes. Distinctive scar down the length of the right arm. Combat rig looks like this:
https://d1s0ws440m13mk.cloudfront.net/o ... 11c1a3.jpg
Specialization: Stealth/Long-range shooting.
Kane wields several anti-armor weapons focused on bringing down the emerging mech pilots. He spends most of his time outside of QC, but can embark when needed. His weapons and other gear, along with QC's, are listed at the bottom of the post. Kane was raised on Neptune, in a space station close enough to harness the planet's natural gravity. As a result, he is roughly three times as strong as he would be if he were raised on earth, and can match those bigger than him in hand to hand combat. This gives him a unique blend of speed and strength rarely seen in other humans. He was put on several machines and drugs in order to stay alive for the first few years of his life. After that, he was strong enough to stay alive on his own, building strength through his fairly hostile conditions. At the age of 19, he started building a robotic dog in a storage room, then a garage, then a warehouse. He then joined the UNCC at 23, going through several months of training, and then years of special operations. After a botched assassination, he learned that the target was not a criminal, but simply about to expose his superior's corruption. after learning of this, his squad began to mysteriously disappear, often turning up dead days later. He deserted, and is now working as a private contractor willing to do just about anything for the right price.
Faction: Independent
Mecha Type: Scout
QaCc Mk65 (Pronounced Casey) is operable without the help of his pilot. He was built from the ground up in a storage room, and when he got bigger, a warehouse. He's modified regularly, and each instance is the next Mk, or version. He follows orders without question, only disobeying orders when he predicts Kane's chance of survival to be less than 5%. QC is equipped with an AI that acts similarly to a dog, down to gait and mannerisms, but he can speak one-hundred-and-two languages. He is roughly the size of a small house when on all fours. He is equipped with a 240mm railgun, which was added at Mk23, signifying his transformation from a large retriver to something more similar to a wolf with a gun on it. After that, claws big enough to bisect men were added at Mk34, Cloaking ability at 38, antithermal smoke at 42, and thermal/tracking systems at 47, among other things. He also acts as a sort of mobile armory for Kane, being home to a great many different rifles and other weapons. QC is capable of brief flight, but to any watching, it would be more like a jump. Onboard stabilization computers allow QC to move at speeds upward of 300 miles per hour while maintaining a comfortable atmosphere for any inside., but in space, that speed jumps to 3000 miles per hour, As QC becomes more of a fighter craft than a robotic dog.

Mecha Appearance: He is similar to a dog the size of a small house, with a hatch on each side for Kane to enter through. The railgun is on the "back" of the dog, folding in and out when needed. He does have a "head", which is used for little more than expressing "emotion" and maybe tearing those stupid enough to get close to shreds. He is mostly metal, but joints are covered with flexible armour to protect them.

Weapons and equipment:

Kane

PAC (Personal Atmosphere Combat) Suit
This combat suit allows Kane to utilize his gas grenades to their fullest potential, and can clear itself of dangerous gas in seconds once a patch* is used. It is also capable of administering limited medical aid to the wearer, including forcing the wearer into a comatose state to preserve life when badly injured.
*Kane has several patches that he can use to seal leaks in the suit

KRV Variable Rifle
Capable of switching between various calibers, able to fire almost any round. If a magazine is (somehow?) loaded with different calibers, it will take a moment to reshape the chamber to fire the new round. It can fire nearly any cartridge, including shotgun shells and .50 caliber, both AE and BMG, along with many other types. It also has an underbarrel grenade launcher, capable of firing many different types of grenades, and even 40mm shotgun shells.

KR45 Handgun
An excellent handgun, with a ten round magazine of .45 caliber. Not much else to say about it.

The Multi-Tool
Two feet of plasma within an electromagnetic field, sharpened to a blade. Also has a cutter mode for getting through tough objects and materials.

Cloaking
Kane uses photoreactive panels to bend and shape light around himself while also not becoming blind.

Variable Imaging
Thermal/EM/Echolocation*/Night Vision
*Echo vision mode emits high pitched ping sound every five seconds.

Grenades/Ordnance
EMP Grenade (3)
Gas-Nonlethal* (3)
Gas-Lethal* (3)
Antithermal Smoke (3)
HE (3)
Thermobaric charge (2)

*Nonlethal gas causes nausea and delirium when inhaled, Lethal causes delirium, convulsions, and death.

QC

105mm Sniper railgun, accompanied by a .50cal Anti-Personnel gun

Obscurant/Antithermal smoke
Smoke that obscures vision and confuses thermal systems by heating the surrounding air to the human body temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

Claws
Foot-long metal blades at the tip of each robotic toe. These can dig into the ground to allow a stable platform from which to fire the railgun

Cloaking Module
QC uses the same methods as Kane in order to stay out of sight.

Tracking ability
QC can pick up traces of odors and other signs that humans may miss, and can track better than a real bloodhound. Tracking ability dulls as the signs get older.
Last edited by ColeslawEnthusiast on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:24 am

Some of those things you've added to Casey look a little familiar, Slaw. Did you see my challenge to you in Beastmaster, after all? :P

One thing I might point out is that Casey is exceedingly small compared to the mecha he'd be against, and equally underarmed and underarmored. ACs, the machines used as inspiration for the mecha in this RP and what every other player has based theirs on, are on average about ten meters tall, or about 33 feet. That's more than four times the height of your ankle biter, nevermind the weight, armor and armament.

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Adventurer

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 am

It seems fine, though what Ninmast says applies here. It wouldn't matter too much, as your character could set the precedent that smaller Mechas are possible to pull off through skill, though it would be harder for you to try.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:52 am

Ninmast wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:24 am
Some of those things you've added to Casey look a little familiar, Slaw. Did you see my challenge to you in Beastmaster, after all? :P

One thing I might point out is that Casey is exceedingly small compared to the mecha he'd be against, and equally underarmed and underarmored. ACs, the machines used as inspiration for the mecha in this RP and what every other player has based theirs on, are on average about ten meters tall, or about 33 feet. That's more than four times the height of your ankle biter, nevermind the weight, armor and armament.
DaughteroftheFlame wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 am
It seems fine, though what Ninmast says applies here. It wouldn't matter too much, as your character could set the precedent that smaller Mechas are possible to pull off through skill, though it would be harder for you to try.
I'm trying my best to make it a heavily armed, lightly armored mecha-killer. That's why the 105mm is on it. Like Scout from TF2 if he was a robo-dog. And yes, Nin. I did see your post. I've actually replied. Anyway, I'm trying my best to make it like a rat of a mecha. Annoying and hard to get rid of, like Kane is supposed to be. I'll add some defensive measures in order to keep it competitive.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:19 am

A 105mm cannon is what the M1 Abrams uses. While that's very impressive by today's standards, you might as well be spitballing against an AC. Assuming equivalency with Gundams in terms of weapon caliber (since I can't find anything like that for Armored Core), 105mm is what the oldest and weakest mobile suits use for their assault rifles, rifles I'd remind you are basically completely useless due to their out of date nature, and is stopped dead by "a healthy layer of armor."

From what I can find, you'd have to more than double that, to about 240mm (the size of the cannons on the Guncannon) before being able to really be effective, and trying to fire one of those on Casey's current chassis would send the doggo rolling from the recoil. You're about on par with the size of a RB-79 Ball, and even its 180mm "low-recoil" cannon sends it into its staple recoil roll. Though its specs meant it should have been superb at hit and run tactics, the approach you're hoping to take with Casey, this incredible drawback, its light armor and the puny hitting power of the 180mm round led to it being nicknamed the Mobile Coffin, and it became a running joke that the only time a Ball ever hit anything was when a Zaku kicked one into a GM.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:25 am

Ninmast wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:19 am
A 105mm cannon is what the M1 Abrams uses. While that's very impressive by today's standards, you might as well be spitballing against an AC. Assuming equivalency with Gundams in terms of weapon caliber (since I can't find anything like that for Armored Core), 105mm is what the oldest and weakest mobile suits use for their assault rifles, rifles I'd remind you are basically completely useless due to their out of date nature, and is stopped dead by "a healthy layer of armor."

From what I can find, you'd have to more than double that, to about 240mm (the size of the cannons on the Guncannon) before being able to really be effective, and trying to fire one of those on Casey's current chassis would send the doggo rolling from the recoil. You're about on par with the size of a RB-79 Ball, and even its 180mm "low-recoil" cannon sends it into its staple recoil roll. Though its specs meant it should have been superb at hit and run tactics, the approach you're hoping to take with Casey, this incredible drawback, its light armor and the puny hitting power of the 180mm round led to it being nicknamed the Mobile Coffin, and it became a running joke that the only time a Ball ever hit anything was when a Zaku kicked one into a GM.
2-240mm? I'm gonna go scream and cry in the corner. I'll try to re-work QC then.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 am

Wait, on second thought, what does Flame have to say about this? Will my idea be competitive, or will I have to scale up in order to do anything but mildly discomfort the enemy?

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:48 am

I mostly agree with Ninmast here. Going with modern armaments, while you're in an age of exploration and progress, is basically asking for a stick in a modern setting. Energy shields are a thing, if prototypes for now. Railguns are slowly being refined into a more usable state, so it wouldn't be hard to steal one and modify it. Rockets of massive yields will be plenty on a Desert world, with the environment being mostly sand and the occasional heat-blasted rock.

So, if you update your armament and allow for your Mecha to be able to handle said weapons, you'll be fine.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:51 am

A Railgun... You give me good ideas.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:57 am

And I'm really not trying to dump on you, Slaw, honest, just trying to help you achieve what you're looking for.

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:05 am

I appreciate it, Nin. Thanks. Anyway, he's... like... way bigger. And now he's armed with a 240mm railgun.

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 am

Great! Now, both to wait on Darkblade and perhaps one more player before I go and make the official OOC.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:19 am

Hey, Slaw, just a note, your first description still says he's the size of a large tank, instead of a small house.

Casey's starting to sound more and more like a Zoid, are you familiar with them? Specifically, his current iteration makes me think of the Command Wolf RGC (Rail Gun Custom).

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:00 am

...huh. That does fit my mental image of him so far, at least to me.

Now the OOC is being worked on, so expect a link soonish!

ColeslawEnthusiast
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ColeslawEnthusiast » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:10 am

Eh, in my head Casey is closer to a four legged robot that resembles a wolf, not a robot that is made to look like one.

DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:46 am

Alrighty, here is the OOC! Transfer your sheets if you can, and Darkblade this doesn't mean I'm moving on! Just figured that I might as well make an official OOC now for the sheets.