Unwritten Realities: Theas: Brainstorming

Gather ideas and brainstorm with other members, recruit players, make partner requests, or just check for interest in an idea you have. A great place to browse to see what is taking place or build new settings and worlds from scratch.

Moderators: Forge, Georgeanna

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Adventurer

Unwritten Realities: Theas: Brainstorming

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:56 am

Welcome to Theas; a world still in the process of being made.
As of this moment Theas doesn't exist in any rp, or story, and isn't even written down anywhere except on a 3x5 note card with a few bullet points.
It is, as of now, an Unwritten Reality.
This is not, as some may suspect, an interest check.
I intend to make a roleplay set in this fantasy setting some time down the line, perhaps in the summer when I've more free time and energy... but for now this is a simple group brainstorming session.
If it goes well this will be the first of several which I intend to make over time under the UR tag/name.

I'm going to pitch a world, and I'm going to ask that people read over what I've got and maybe offer suggestions, questions and pertinent thoughts that could aid me in building it out and making it interesting, engaging and fun so that in the future those same people, or other random passers-by will be able to join in with a comprehension of the scale, scope and span of the world rather than simply being dropped in.

So here goes;

|||THEAS|||
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players"- Jaques' monologue in As You Like It Act II Scene VII, as written by William Shakespeare.

:blackbullet: Theas, originally 'Theastaia' in my notes and so called as a portmanteau of the words 'theater, stage, and gaia', is built off of several theatrical concepts and names and places revolve around that ideal. Keep this in mind when pitching something. For example you could use the parts of stage to pitch a region name; Border, Proscenium, Wings, Center Stage, Scrim, Apron, Auditorium, Crossover, Rake, Etc.
As an example of this topic I've decided The south-western territory of Theas is 'Aescrim'[Pronounced as Ash Rim], so named because it is a warm or perhaps volcanic territory, at the edge or 'rim' of the world and a 'Scrim' is a mesh used for backdrop lighting in a stage show.
To that end most of the cities and the like in that region would be named with connotations of light in mind['Bright'spire, 'Dun'ray', 'Candless', 'Luster'im & etc]

Seeing as it is a 'stage' it has an edge because it is fun to let people/things literally drop off the edge of the world and also because I recently read some discworld novels again... Still; maybe there's some kind of underside civilization living on the rock-faces of some upside mountain on which the world rests? I dunno.

If you have ideas for other regions please feel free to share and I'll talk through them with you. Names, concepts, geography, etc.

:blackbullet: Religion I wanted to keep fairly simple; some fantasy worlds can have hundreds of deities and that's a lot for a first go-round with something like this... I decided to narrow it to three. I don't have names or anything yet, but I thought maybe deities of comedy and tragedy as the semi-benevolent creator gods and some sort of editorial presence in opposition as the 'devil' or 'evil god' figure. I'm open to lots of input on these concepts.

If you have names, design concepts, philosophies, religious doctrines, etc. I am more than happy to talk about them.

:blackbullet: I like sword and sorcery type settings. If I'm made to choose a genre I'll almost always gravitate to fantasy. To that end I want magic to be a part of this world... but at the same time I don't want it to feel like either there is some hierarchy of magic users or like there is so much abundant magic that everyone can move mountains and such. I want it to be accessible without being overwhelming. To that end I want it limited somehow. I've got a few ideas, I've put together my favorite of what I've come up with so far, but would want feedback or alternative options;

Option A| Magic through animism; beasts or monsters have some inherent magic and people can use that by harvesting it from them. Ties back to old mythological concepts like the golden fleece, unicorn's horn, and to several types of divination. Leads to things like thunderbirds and ash oxen and other elemental creatures like a storm attuned big bad wolf. Also leads to an inherent conflict of man vs nature and of preservation vs power. Also ties in to modern rpgs, or games a la monster hunter and the like. Seems like it could fit because it has a sort of simple to follow story structure to the way it works and it could be entertaining to the deities. Helps add some character to the world, but also requires a system or binary for what entities invoke which power. Good for the fact it makes magic fleeting/temporary, builds out the world and has an innate challenge involved.

Option B|Whatever you all suggest.

:blackbullet: Major Powers; what big groups do you think would be fun to play around with? Is there some shadowy cult you'd like to see? A massive military power seeking a goal of expansionism? A shady magic user intent on destroying/ruling the world? Some kind of titanic beast woken from an ages long slumber who needs to be put down? A 'chosen one' whose party you'll have to assist or will kick the crud out of in some sort of hero fantasy parody? Some sort of fantasy world government agency sent to hunt down criminals?

:blackbullet: Confict; the eventual end goal will be to have a decently fleshed out world to run roleplays in... so what sorts of conflicts would you all want to see in such a roleplay given the setting and themes we're building up? Could tie back to major powers or be it's own freestanding point.

Of course; the conceit of this world is that it is themed around theater, performance, and the like...

Maybe there's an apocalyptic song prophesied to wake a sleeping monster and people need to hunt down the singer and stop them peacefully or not?

Maybe a villainous cult of harlequins, jugglers, buskers and other performers have been gather information and sources of power and are quietly building towards a coup led by a jester who used to be the spymaster's apprentice?

Maybe there is a war between two nations brewing brought on by the assassination of an ambassador while he was visiting a neighboring nation to see a play and you all are soldiers on the front lines?

Maybe something else entirely that you lot suggest?

So yeah; that's that... I want to roleplay, but I also want to have a world to roleplay in that people will like, a concept that people will enjoy, and scenarios that people will find engaging. I figured why not make certain I've got all of that by just opening up the worldbuilding to the people?

Please help me out with this if you've got the time and energy.

If you pitch in and help I am eternally grateful.

If not; I wholly understand and I want you to know... I'm not angry, just disappointed.
-Scribe
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Re: Unwritten Realities: Theas: Brainstorming

Post by Ghostwriter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:42 am

This sounds like something up my alley, if Im being honest I was actually thinking of doing something similar even I just wasnt sure if anyone else was interested in the same thing Scribe. Anyway here's some ideas in response.

World= I dont mind if the world has some quirk to it, never read disc world but usually things in the universe exist as a sphere, if this world doesnt for some reason they should explain that. Is the moon also a disc? The sun? Other worlds they can see? If not maybe this should be like, a ring or something like in Halo? That way theres still an edge so to speak, but itd be neat to look up and see the horizon disappear up beyond the clouds or something. Again it doesnt -really- matter. Just an idea of explaining why it is the way it is. I can help with ideas for it if you wanted but Im sure since you brought it up theres some sort of reason youve already thought about, just havent put it down here.

Religion= Instead of just making a number of gods, how about each person helping with ideas can make a god. That way nothing gets to be "too much" but also the gods can be something more personal than just some arbitrary trinity.

Magic= Basically if "everyone" doesnt have magic, then it should be explained what magic is and how people get it. Now I see you give a suggestion, and its interesting about magic being some kind of resource people can get by killing something else that has magic and its interesting. However if you go down that route you need to keep two things in mind. The first and most important is the military. Basically those with magic would rule over those without, and depending on how powerful that magic is the more feared the individual could potentially be. Fear can both cause men to cower or follow, but also it can make people a target for assassination since if they fear someone its natural in human history to try killing it. So, essentially in that world people with magic would either probably be political leaders, secretive, or assassins~ otherwise sure I mean it sounds interesting, I could also give some ideas if that wasnt exactly what you was wanting.

Other= That sort of naturally ties in with the following points as well. Major Powers and Conflict. In that sort of world, the society with the most magic would naturally be the most powerful. And either other societies would fear them and converge on it, or the magic society would end up absorbing all the others. Of course I can help think of other societies or groups etc, and other conflicts, but that seems to be the major one that would naturally happen. Depending on when the story starts, this might all just be past history that people are taught about in school. But it could also be a conflict already happening, or in the process of happening.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:06 am

Ghostwriter wrote: ...
Re: Ghostwriter

World= I envisioned the world as part of a whole. A fragment of some formerly spherical world, kept aloft, alive and active by an as of yet nondescript power. Some god, or magic or other force.

My reasoning being that first and foremost it gives a bit of variety to the world and a bit of fantasy and flair and secondly that it ties back to the kind of theatrical nature of things I was envisioning... In the light of a world's fall, with people struggling and hopes low there is only so much effort people will be willing to put forth. Lastly I simply liked the idea of a sliver or shard of world detached from the whole and drifting alone, yet still capable of sustaining life; it just feels fun.

I suggested it for those reasons, but I didn't go so far as to come up with a 'why' this fragment of world was saved, or what is holding it together and keeping it livable. Yes; ideally I would have done so before pitching such an outlandish thing, but in earnest it came across as a suggestion because it was the first idea I had. That is the nature of this; suggestions, ideas and very simple concepts growing, evolving and changing over time and through talks with others.

Of course some would fight for survival tooth and nail, but not all and maybe not enough; to that end stories of the world that was, of the world that could be and entertainment in general could become a power all their own and a symbol of hope, of peace and of strength in light of destruction. A source of inspiration.

Religion= I posed the concept of a trinity in keeping with the overall theme of the world that I'd initially conceived of; that said I'm not opposed to people who come here pitching some alternative.
I'm perfectly fine with the first three people who come here fleshing out the trinity I've come up with.

OR; if they so choose, the first however many people can suggest something entirely different not in keeping with what I've stated. That's sort of the point which I tried and apparently failed to get across.

Magic= If everyone does have magic those who understand it best, have the most potential for weilding it, or can find some way to negate it then gall into the same sort of balance as those who do have magic in a world where not everyone has it. Magic is a resource, like anything else, in the idea I pitched; and to that end of course it would alter the fabric and nature of how the balance of power exists.

Of course those who can manage to take down something that gets them military grade magic would form up and congregate, would come together and build up government, military and societal power. But with the version of magic I pitched there is a natural system of checks and balances in place by the nature of the fact magic is temporary. It has to be harvested, and it can be used up.
Military is important, but preservation and wildlife conservation is equally important in order to ensure that there is a continued avenue of production and collection; or else some manner of military-run monster farming.

So yes; those with the most magic would rule, but as magic isn't inherent in man it means the balance of that power could shift on a dime if an ample source of magic was found or a prolonged battle drained a given military of it's stockpile of magic.

As stated in my prior post; I'm fine with you giving ideas if you'd like. That is sort of the whole point; to either build on what I say, or suggest an alternative. And the next person will do the same for one, or all of those who came before them.

Other= A magocratic war is of course a big conflict in a setting like the one the magic I pitched would eventually form into.

The question then becomes; would that be what people wanted to focus on? In the given magic's version of things would people want to play through a war between/for/against the world's biggest aggregate of arcane power?

Would they like such a world, but want to push past some grand event like that and focus on something more simple or more defined and personal in the same kind of world?

Or would they like to play before such a balance of power was determined and in a world where magic was still new and wondrous rather than a sort of currency of power?

Because even if something like that is the obvious go-to there isn't a definite need for it to be the focus of an rp set in such a world.

Also; that still isn't locked in as the sort of magic I'd go with, it was merely a suggestion I found intriguing and I'm more than willing to listen to(or rather, read) other suggestions and simply save this sort of magic system for some other project of mine later down the line.

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:20 am

Thats all true, but I see you answering my questions with other questions. Do you have any opinions leaning one way or the other about it? Its great you want to let me and/or others help decide things but it helps to get a feeling for what you prefer doing as well. Particularly, every story begins with a conflict of some kind so it'd help to have some ideas of things you'd like to do to. As you said, a war over magical resources does sound like something that would eventually happen, but it could be anything from the main arc of the story to just a bit of lore from the past most people are aware that happened. I was just giving some broad ideas that I thought would "probably" happen IF magic was a limited but powerful resource in a human dominated world.

Speaking of, how many races are there? Is it even a human dominated world? Or is it a dragon dominated world? Elves? Beastmen? Undead? Etc? Hammering out some ground rules for the world would help to start nailing things down.

Again similar to my suggestion about gods, if you wanted to every person could make a race that would be one of the dominate races.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:00 am

I do tend to do that. I'm not generally one to stand fast behind a given decision; it makes me slow to decide things. That said; I can see how that might be less than helpful... Were I to be made to decide one way or another I'd say a war over resources would be a historical footnote rather than the core focus of a roleplay set in such a world; at least of a roleplay I'd run. Wars are large-scale, grand and terrible and typically when roleplayed through wind up either underwhelming or far too complicated and involved.

Going that route I'd say [x] years ago, long enough for there not to be lingering resentment in everyone's hearts but not so long that the people would have forgotten it, there was a war wherein militaries clashed over the hunting grounds which bred the greatest arcane beasts; a long campaign which left both sides(or all however many sides fought) weary, wounded and without the power they'd held before. [x] Kingdom/nation/country/city state claimed the grounds and thereby the arcane power and authority to lay claim to all but the most outward or inhospitable territories.

Then from there find the core conflict in something more personal and engaging. Something with stakes, but also something which bears a more focused sense of scale and purpose and which has clearly defined or at the very least murkily defined but reasonably attainable end-goals.

I hadn't decided on a number of races. I'd want to keep it somewhat light; offer choice, but not overindulge and wind up making a convoluted balance of species. Something in single digits, to very early double digits in terms of number.
As of yet I hadn't determined specific races, only a set of tenets for how I would like the races to be created/informed. I'd like humanoids of some distinction, and for there to be a sort of conceptual link.

We could go purely human for the sake of simplicity, but I only wish to follow that line if no one has any suggestions to the contrary.

In regards to the 'conceptual link'...
If we had elves then dwarves and and ogres and other typical fantasy races would fit.
If we went beastmen I'd want all the races to be varying tribes/clans/types of beastmen each informed and crafted by a given individual's suggestion.
If we went with a purely made-up race as our base, then all the races should be made up.
I feel it gives a sense of uniformity and unity if things work that way.

Keeping that in mind I'd be cool with everyone claiming or making a race, tribe, etc and deciding their personal choice's culture, ideology and subraces if any.

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:43 pm

GamerScribe wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:00 am
We could go purely human for the sake of simplicity, but I only wish to follow that line if no one has any suggestions to the contrary.

In regards to the 'conceptual link'...
If we had elves then dwarves and and ogres and other typical fantasy races would fit.
If we went beastmen I'd want all the races to be varying tribes/clans/types of beastmen each informed and crafted by a given individual's suggestion.
If we went with a purely made-up race as our base, then all the races should be made up.
I feel it gives a sense of uniformity and unity if things work that way.

Keeping that in mind I'd be cool with everyone claiming or making a race, tribe, etc and deciding their personal choice's culture, ideology and subraces if any.
Thats fine about it being history, its always good to have a bit of lore to build on later. But before we can worry too much about history we probably need to know what races and such there is too. Lots of stuff are interconnected like that. Anyway, if we get to all make our own race, I'll probably go something classic like Dragons. :p If we get to make a god, I'd probably make a god of monsters. Why? To be different, and it helps to have antagonists. :p

In the event we do down a purely human world, what would you want others to help with Scribe? I figure its best to think of it in simple terms first to start hammering down the framework of the world first.

For instance, maybe you have a map of some kind or some idea of what it looks like? It'd help me to visualize what you're pitching and I ask because it helps to know what major biomes there are, or, how many continents there are. Is it just one giant continent? Thousands of islands of differing sizes? A world like in Dune with no oceans etc? I know you said the world itself was like a disc right, so is Theas relatively small or is it more like a huge plane of existence? Also if theres water, like... and its a disc... where do they get their water from? It would all, or mostly all, just flow off the side trying to find the lowest point right? Where would the water fall to? Or is it like a big lake in the middle or something?

I'm an Architect

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:30 am

Technically everything is interconnected in worldbuilding; eventually you have to just decide one thing and make the rest fit around it. That said; I do see your point.

Okay. Dragons. What sort of dragons? Massive dragons, little pseudodragons? Eastern dragons, european dragons, or one of the lesser represented draconic types? Cunning or bestial? All manner of dragons? If they're particularly large or powerful in size are they a playable race, or simply a native species? If the former; how do you balance it? Are all the races draconic clans, or are they all some form of massive monster? If they are a native species which isn't playable they would likely be harvestable for magical resource as per the pitched arcane concept; would they be tied to a specific type of magic or many varieties?

If you have a god of monsters; are their followers antagonistic, or are they themselves antagonistic, or both? Were monsters brought into being as a direct response to the non-monstrous races, or did both types of being come into existence and find conflict later? What came first, the monster or the man? Is the following of the monster god reserved for monsters or is there a faith/cult of non-monsters devoted to them? What are the deities core powers/tenets/ideals?

If we went with a purely human world I'd imagine that we would have each person take a region and determine what that area and the people there are like. We've only got humans here on earth and yet we've wound up startlingly diverse. I reckon this world would be similar, with the climate, landscape, resources, contact with other cultures, government and the like would all be decided by the person who chooses a given area and both informed and altered dependent on talks with and clarification of those working on neighboring regions. Much in the manner of what should be common practice for the setup of a nations rp.

For instance; if someone decided that their given region was an expansionist stratocracy then whoever decided to build out/settle the region beside them would have to decide if the group of people they were working on would have created treatises with them, not encountered them due to an inhospitable border, or would have a cold war or an active war ongoing with them. Ideally; by asking the person who made the region they're settling beside for input and coming to terms of how things worked out with one another's aid.

I can throw together a proper map at some point, sure. Though; I'll reiterate that I said I like the idea of a world with an edge, LIKE discworld, not a world which is a disk. When I said a shard, or remnant of a former world I was thinking something more jagged, more wild and untamed than a neat and tidy disk.

But as I've said a few times; that was my initial image of things, but I'm willing to bend on it.

In terms of continents; only one, with maybe some isles resting in the lake(s). I was thinking a decent sized land mass. Since you've asked me to give stronger opinions I'd say not as big as the Earth as a whole, but maybe as big as Eurasia, so still capable of holding a good variety of terrains, climates and cultures.

As for water; I'd reckon lakes are a good bet. Maybe a few spaced out around the center rather than one slap dab in the middle because I'm all about that asymmetry. I'd also suspect that some of the water does find its way over the edge and off into the void(or gets collected by some civilization living down beyond the edge or something.)

Pardon my hastily slapped together MSPaint work, but I'm technically at work right now and only have a limited time for my break so I couldn't be playing around with this too long.

I also haven't put in most major geographical features because that's part of what I would want people's feedback on. Do people want to ride a train through snowy mountains, battle monsters in lava fields, or wander idly through rolling green hills and plains or something entirely different between points of interest? Those are important details that I wanted feedback on instead of just deciding.

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:36 am

I'm still reading through everything, but I wanted to throw this out there before I forgot. On the subjects of religion, maybe a more chaotic neutral god (I'm looking at you, tech crew) who is more interested in the manipulation of the people, other gods, etc.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:51 am

BrookeDi wrote: ...
A deity who wishes to manipulate people is fun. Would they have something(s) specific they are the deity of? Would their manipulation of their fellows as well as of the mortals they encounter be done for kicks, or would it have some greater goal?

BrookeDi
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am

GamerScribe wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:51 am
A deity who wishes to manipulate people is fun. Would they have something(s) specific they are the deity of? Would their manipulation of their fellows as well as of the mortals they encounter be done for kicks, or would it have some greater goal?
Just for funsies. Think Puck. :>
You become a god and forever is a long time and he/she's less interested in the adversarial position between the others and more interested in keeping its existence entertaining.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:05 am

Okee, answer storm incoming. All kinds of dragons, wyverns, fairy dragons, sea dragons, flying dragons, horse dragons, basilisks, kobolds. Beastly, sentient, sagely. Very large and powerful ones could be too, maybe theyre sleeping. Or maybe they were killed already somehow and people made a town on their dragon head. Maybe its like My Little Ponies and one of the dragons is somehow responsible for raising the sun and one of them for raising the moon~ If people wanted to play a dragon (and you allow non human races) theyd probably be limited to playing a bipedal dragon, like a person with dragon blood like the dragonborn. But yea, dragons would be seen like some of the apex predators, magically inclined, that people could carve if they get ahold of one somehow. I've been playing a lot of monster hunter lately so thats fine :p

The Monster God, well, I can give my idea if you want but I need to know more about magic and why people dont have any but beasts etc do. My thoughts tho are the Monster God was like, the first or one of the oldest gods. Not good, or evil, or lawful, or chaotic, the monster god was responsible for coming up with all the different kinds of monsters of the world. Sort of a wild god, creating things to see what would happen, or because it liked an idea and wanted to try it out. The monster god of course made the dragons and all the sub species, which are one of if not the oldest creatures in the world. The monster god could have even somehow made the other gods, feeling lonely, giving them a share of its power. Say a lightning god, fire god, water god, plant god, so on and so on. Even if not, and the other gods have some other creation myth, Id assume they tried to organize the world somehow instead of it being essentially a childs playbox.

The other gods tried to bring order to the world, civilization, other races, laws of nature, so on. Maybe they made a pantheon or something even, wanting the monster god to join. Monster god wasnt interested however, seeing the idea as boring. So things went along like that, with the other gods trying to make civilization and such, and the monster god making monsters. Eventually, the monsters were making a mess out of things, and the gods were getting mad at the monster god. They'd make a island city, and a sea monster would just casually swim by and sink it. They'd make a mountain city, and a volcano monster would show up and wreck it. They'd make a new magic flying unicorn, and a dragon would eat it. Monster god of course thought it was all fun, but ends up starting a conflict with the other gods.

So they have a big godly fight about it, maybe some of the gods died in it, but in the end they were only able to seal the monster god, essentially putting MG in a godly version of time out. The monster god being somewhat childish in nature, well time out is like the worst thing you can do to a kid. Maybe the act of sealing the monster god is why there isn't nearly as much magic in the world? Only able to get the magic from the monsters they had already created? Monster god could have been the god of magic as well, you know, more than just monsters, especially if the other gods were created by the monster god. Maybe something about the god clash is why this place is shaped the way it is, floating over the world or whatever~

This is all just an idea by the way, we can change it to fit whatever ideas we decide to hammer on. And thanks for the picture to help show what you mean. If it helps, I see the monster god as a god of contradictions. Both old and young. All knowing yet naive. Motherly and childish. Playful and frightening.
BrookeDi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am
Just for funsies. Think Puck. :>
You become a god and forever is a long time and he/she's less interested in the adversarial position between the others and more interested in keeping its existence entertaining.
Sounds a bit like my monster god :p

I'm an Architect

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 am

Alright; here goes some replies...

All kinds of dragons. Okay; I'm cool with that. Dragons as a sort of byline for the core of monsterdom works. Simple enough to follow. Classic.

I'm all about sleeping dragons, first off. So if you want some big dragons slumbering somewhere; tell me about them. Names, reputations. Not a ton, but a few. Like two or three big sleepy dragons out in the world is rad.

Furthermore; having a town on, or in a dragon skull is the hypest of things. So that's gonna be somewhere. No idea where yet, but it is canon.

Dragons raising the sun and moon is a bit much. I'm gonna veto that one.

As for people playing a dragonborn; we'll put that one in the maybe pile. I could roll with it, but want to see if anyone has any suggestions that either compliment or counter it.

I've also played a fair amount of monster hunter of late, in part leading to my suggestion for how magic works being set up the way it was in the first place. Heh.

Anyway; here is what I like and am willing to canonize from your MG pitch...

Monster God is an old god. I like them as one of the first. Maybe not the only one, but one of the originals.

There was a pantheon of elder gods and MG opposed them. I am good with that. A simple game in the eyes of the MG becomes an actual feud from the perspectives of the other deities.

Some gods die, others persevere.

Sealing a god away probably takes a lot of power...

Maybe mortal magic was the cost?

Maybe the magic of the mortal races exists, they just can't put it towards anything constructive because it is all being used up by the other gods in holding the MG in place?

And to get around this constraint humans have taken to siphoning power from monsters in a sort of loop.

You're welcome for the picture; as we decide on features, and as I get more time off work I'll endeavor to update and improve it into an actual map or model of the world.
You used the words 'become a god', which I'm probably reading too much into... but; it does lead down an interesting trail of thought...

Would there be some rite or manner of apotheosis? Of mortals becoming divine? If so; how would it be done? How secret would it be? How much risk and cost would it take to perform?

Either way I am intrigued by a god who exists simply to mess with other gods and people.
What Brooke suggested sounds somewhat like your monster god GW, but there are differences. You mentioned the MG would be adversarial, sure, but also that they were fairly active and destructive in the way they counteracted their fellow deities.

Meanwhile Brooke described 'manipulation' which lends towards a more cunning, conniving and overall mischievous being and less a force of playful obliteration as yours seems to be.

Either of you feel free to correct me if I've misread something.

Nevertheless I find it feasible that the MG was an old god who was sealed away, and perhaps Brooke's more trickster/schemer deity sort of... started to take up the mantle as the antagonistic deity in their absence. Not as notable a threat, but kind of being the one to start drawing the ire of the other deities now that they've put away their biggest nuisance.

Just a thought.

And; because we've got a monster god who is 'evil' even if it isn't for evil's sake, and a cn manipulator, it then comes to pass that we need some manner of good deity for them to eternally frustrate...

I'm going to pitch a younger or at least less powerful deity. Maybe a good-aligned god or goddess of vigilance and hunting, who in the past was considered a lesser deity and yet now has risen to a point of prominence due to the way society, magic and the world have shifted.

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 am

GamerScribe wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 am
Sealing a god away probably takes a lot of power...

Maybe mortal magic was the cost?

Maybe the magic of the mortal races exists, they just can't put it towards anything constructive because it is all being used up by the other gods in holding the MG in place?
Thats why I was asking where magic came from before~ was there a "god of magic" who died in the fight? Maybe a lot of the magic in the world came from the monster god and when they were sealed a lot of magic was sealed with them. Or it could be the gods that survived used a lot of the magic for the sealing. It really depends tho about the origins of magic. I could give more suggestions if you want but Im more interested about why you think magic is harder to come by~
What Brooke suggested sounds somewhat like your monster god GW, but there are differences. You mentioned the MG would be adversarial, sure, but also that they were fairly active and destructive in the way they counteracted their fellow deities.

Meanwhile Brooke described 'manipulation' which lends towards a more cunning, conniving and overall mischievous being and less a force of playful obliteration as yours seems to be.
No no I got that. I was more thinking of a plot~ maybe monster god had a few friends you know? Or some of the gods want the monster god back? Maybe if some of the gods who participated in the sealing get killed or weakened somehow, the seal becomes weak enough for Monster God to break free? Maybe theres some mortals who remember the monster god despite others trying to brand it as 'evil' and they are plotting something~ or maybe theres some sleeping dragon somewhere or an ancient artifact with the power to break the seal? :p

I'm an Architect

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:22 am

Pitch A; Magic is Monstrous...
The monster god was, indeed, the god of magic. As a final farewell he took magic away from all creatures save for those he'd had a hand in making.

This is a fairly clean and simple outlook on things, but at the same time there are some faults.
For instance; if he is the god of both monsters and magic then why was he capable of being sealed away in the first place? Especially if he had individuals on his side then it makes little sense for him not to have found some way out. Think of it; an army of creatures wielding a primal force that mortals covet because it can turn the tides in their favor... and yet the MG had all of that, and couldn't stop the gods of the other stuff... Stuff like the world, and mortals and fire and plants etc.

Pitch B; Magic is Divine...
Magic is a gift from the gods. It is the excess power of the gods channeled through non-divine beings as a gift. Monsters gain it from the monster god, mortals gain it from the mortal gods. Etc.
The Monster God, sealed as they are, has little need of theirs at present and it slips through the cracks in their seal and empowers the monsters of the world to greater degrees even than it did while they were active.
Meanwhile; rather than bestowing magic on the mortal races the other gods have focused their excess energies towards sealing the god of monsters lest they loose themselves and wreak their havoc once more.

This is a fairly contained system, but at the same time it leads to some hassles down the line if the god of monsters is released and the potential for power being given/taken at inopportune times is a bit trope-ridden.

Pitch C; Magic is Dead...
There was once a god of magic who acted as a divine force of wisdom and great power. They were one of the older and stronger deities; a balancing power against the quite powerful god of monsters. They were also soft-hearted and unsuited to war and strife.

The god of monsters slew them and took their great gift for their self as one of their last acts before being sealed away; ripping it from mortals and the world at hole, and as such the beings of their ilk were bestowed with great and terrible power in excess of the balance the old god of magic had kept.

This one is fairly well contained, and also gives a bit of reasoning for why a deity commanding two forces of such excessive power and commanding ferocity could be held; namely that one of them is not theirs and they have taken a short while(a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of a deity's life) to adjust to their command of magic.

Pitch D; Magic is finite...
Magic is an energy inherent to all things, born of the formation of reality. A fragment of power inherent to existence. A cosmic force every bit as natural as gravity would be considered in our world. Everything once had magic. Mortal and monster, god and gutter vermin, the stones and trees and streams and wind each held a power unto themselves. But then the monster god battled with their brethren. Then came the great destruction. Then came the end of all things.

And while monsters rampaged and warred and god battled god for the fate of existence the mortals did the unthinkable. They found the limits of magic. Collectively the mortal race, or enough of them that it worked out, created a safehaven. A sanctuary from the great destruction. They pooled their magic and poured it into the world itself in order to keep the crumbling wreckage aloft and alive. A single great continent was spared destruction at the cost of all mortal magic. A great sprawling new world that would allow them to carry on.

This one isn't as clean. 'Inherent' is not the same as natural... Why would it be inherent in all things? It leaves questions at the front end. That said it tidies up the latter half of things rather well, even tying back to why the world is the way it is.

In regards to your plot threads; I like the idea of the MG's return being tied either to mortal interaction and plotting, or to the fall/weakening of the deities who sealed them in the first place.

I am totally on board with there potentially being other deities on the side of the monster god; but I think they should have to work through mortal intermediaries, or directly engage their godly superiors in order to achieve their goals.

A sleeping dragon or artifact is okay, but you don't put something that powerful behind a single lock, so it would need to be some sort of set of sealing mechanisms.

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:08 am

GamerScribe wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:22 am
This is a fairly clean and simple outlook on things, but at the same time there are some faults.
For instance; if he is the god of both monsters and magic then why was he capable of being sealed away in the first place? Especially if he had individuals on his side then it makes little sense for him not to have found some way out.
I guess this misconception comes from my simple title, monster god. MG doesnt really have a name because no one would know it, or remember it anymore. For instance, you say he~ and I said mother god. Like I said, its a god of contradictions really. A lot about the monster god is unknown, because of the other gods sealing it and because the monster god wasn't really part of the pantheon of other gods. I also assume whatever it was happened a long time ago.

Anyway in my mind, I see the monster god as simply a childish creator. Not good or evil, or lawful or chaotic. Just a god of imagination and magic, creating things for the sake of creating them. Then when they grow bored of the creations or think of something new, they go and create a new thing. Its easy for others to confuse this for evil for instance, creating both wonderful and terrible things apparently at whim. The "Monster god" for instance probably made all the animals, fish, and insects too. Depending on whatever creation myth you decide to go with, Monster God could have even had a hand in creating the new gods.
Think of it; an army of creatures wielding a primal force that mortals covet because it can turn the tides in their favor... and yet the MG had all of that, and couldn't stop the gods of the other stuff... Stuff like the world, and mortals and fire and plants etc.
I'm not sure we're on the same page really, just because a mother lets say gives birth to many children, those children wouldnt later become strong enough to oppose their mother? Sure Mom would be older and stronger, but as the kids get older they get stronger and they would out number it no?
Pitch B; Magic is Divine...
Magic is a gift from the gods. It is the excess power of the gods channeled through non-divine beings as a gift.

This is a fairly contained system, but at the same time it leads to some hassles down the line if the god of monsters is released and the potential for power being given/taken at inopportune times is a bit trope-ridden.
Fair 'nuff, but theres reasons why popular tropes become tropes. You can always twist things tho to be more unique~
Pitch C; Magic is Dead...
There was once a god of magic who acted as a divine force of wisdom and great power. They were one of the older and stronger deities; a balancing power against the quite powerful god of monsters. They were also soft-hearted and unsuited to war and strife.

The god of monsters slew them and took their great gift for their self as one of their last acts before being sealed away; ripping it from mortals and the world at hole, and as such the beings of their ilk were bestowed with great and terrible power in excess of the balance the old god of magic had kept.
Sorta what I was suggesting, but think of it less like rivals and such and more as a family dispute. Say Monster God and Magic God acted more as yin and yang, or mom and dad. They maybe decide to have a family, and eventually theres a family squabble, and somehow magic god dies. Magic god could have even died defending monster god, or it could have been divine friendly fire or an accident of some kind. Like, the whole thing is sort of mysterious because no one really knows what happened, only what was speculated after the fact. For all people know, magic god may not even be dead maybe magic god was upset and left on their own after the others turned against monster god. Basically I see it more as an ideological difference than an all out war, which is why I said there was probably some gods that liked the monster god while others disliked them :p It wasnt as clear cut loved/hated relationship.

Of course, it depends on the creation myth and what you like the most. Monster god could have eaten magic god before it was sealed. I'm just trying to reinforce the idea its primarily a misunderstood god of contradictions that was deemed too dangerous for the people of the world by the new gods. Whether people think of MG as evil or not never really mattered much to MG, it was a being on another level. Do you really consider if you think the ants in your yard say you're evil when you accidentally step on some of them? :p

I guess basically what I'm saying is Monster God is one of those Big Bads that arent really the big bad and just misunderstood. Im pretty sure there are evil gods, and the monster god certainly could be dangerous, but more in a mother nature sort of way. Mother nature doesnt care if you get drowned in a flood~ should have learned to swim better. Its really more of a case of natural selection. Unlike some gods, Monster God is unconcerned with the problems of mortals.
Pitch D; Magic is finite...
Magic is an energy inherent to all things, born of the formation of reality. A fragment of power inherent to existence. A cosmic force every bit as natural as gravity would be considered in our world. Everything once had magic. Mortal and monster, god and gutter vermin, the stones and trees and streams and wind each held a power unto themselves. But then the monster god battled with their brethren. Then came the great destruction. Then came the end of all things.

And while monsters rampaged and warred and god battled god for the fate of existence the mortals did the unthinkable. They found the limits of magic. Collectively the mortal race, or enough of them that it worked out, created a safehaven. A sanctuary from the great destruction. They pooled their magic and poured it into the world itself in order to keep the crumbling wreckage aloft and alive. A single great continent was spared destruction at the cost of all mortal magic. A great sprawling new world that would allow them to carry on.
That works too but its a bit vague. Who did what exactly? How did they do it? Was it some kind of accident or side effect of their intention? What about this destruction they were spared from? I dunno, it creates more questions than it answers which in general I try to avoid.
In regards to your plot threads; I like the idea of the MG's return being tied either to mortal interaction and plotting, or to the fall/weakening of the deities who sealed them in the first place.

I am totally on board with there potentially being other deities on the side of the monster god; but I think they should have to work through mortal intermediaries, or directly engage their godly superiors in order to achieve their goals.

A sleeping dragon or artifact is okay, but you don't put something that powerful behind a single lock, so it would need to be some sort of set of sealing mechanisms.
Heh, dont mistake my brevity for simplicity. I was just pitching an idea since I wanted to correct a misinterpretation of what I meant about Brookes god idea. :p Im glad you like it tho, and Im not even suggesting it has to be the main arc of the story just a possibility of what could be going on in the background.

I'm an Architect

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:23 am

Sorry this is all terribly formatted with no marking quotes. Depression has been kicking my teeth in this week, and I've got no energy to edit more.

There's no misconception on the entities unknowable nature. I get it. I had typed out the entire post swapping back and forth between male and female pronouns, then decided it best to replace everything with nonspecifics because you seem big into reiterating the contradictory, inexplicable and unknowable nature of them.

I just missed some hes because it was a lot of text to run through.

I will say; your outlook of them doing things for the sake of doing them. Creating and for the hell of it is definitely not good or evil, but it is firmly in the realm of the chaotic the moment they disregard the impact of their actions on others.

Those children would become strong enough to oppose their mother, sure. Unless of course their mother just made more kids. My issue is less with power scaling and more with the fact that numerically the MG seems to have an advantage by the very nature of being a creator god. Even if they aren't actively fighting if the other divinities are trying to stop them from what they are doing, or seal them away it would be a natural and very childlike reaction to either lash out, OR to simply make more stuff in between the mg and those trying to stop their work.

Tropes do become tropes for reasons. Fair.

Family dispute I can get. From among the three options presented I'm going to go with not making a solid decision at the moment because from a player viewpoint it won't be known and mortals will think a range of things on the matter.

I get that it isn't love/hate.
But I also get that if the mg is actively creating monsters, and is strong enough to create deities of some degree or another, then even if bloodshed and battle isn't their modus operandi any family squabble is unlikely to be entirely peaceable. I say 'war' and I get that this is conflating the issue from the view of the mg and most gods.

I am also, however, considering the point of view of the world at large.

If gods are arguing, or disagreeing that is likely to have unwanted, or even unintended effects on the world at large. Even if it never comes to blows.

A being of such power that they can just invent species on a whim, and a being who commands the fundamental forces of nature through the arcane. Life and the world. If these forces aren't in unison it can mean trouble for the world, the beings in it, simply through happenstance.

Also; I get what you were going for with the ants thing, but... I personally do think about that stuff and stuff like it all the time. So... point taken, but expressed in such a way I had to double-take to think about what you meant by it.

It is vague, a bit too much so. That said I do like to leave 1 or 2 key points of things vague for the players to infer or guess at or speculate on either ooc or in character later on. But I see your point that this option goes too far in that direction.

Simplicity is grand now and then. But yes, I get your meaning. I do like it. I don't know whether it would be a key or secondary plot point yet.

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ghostwriter » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:33 am

Sorry this is all terribly formatted with no marking quotes. Depression has been kicking my teeth in this week, and I've got no energy to edit more.
No problem, I know very well how depression can be. If you want, maybe I can help somehow with that? I find the best medicine of depression to be some form of distraction, since, often times for me depression doesnt really have a reason for making me depressed I just am. So distracting myself with some kind of entertainment usually helps me forget about the depression and, sometimes, feeling a little better afterward. Maybe like, watching a movie, or binging some anime, playing a video game, even just taking a long shower or going outside to walk the dog.
I will say; your outlook of them doing things for the sake of doing them. Creating and for the hell of it is definitely not good or evil, but it is firmly in the realm of the chaotic the moment they disregard the impact of their actions on others.
Well, usually the monster god has a reason for creating things. Just it doesnt bother explaining anything to others. But, sure monster god is definitely not lawful, so could be chaotic. I sort of view monster god as a god of nature really, and mother nature can appear to be chaotic to those who don't know the science of why things happen so Im fine with that :p
Those children would become strong enough to oppose their mother, sure. Unless of course their mother just made more kids. My issue is less with power scaling and more with the fact that numerically the MG seems to have an advantage by the very nature of being a creator god. Even if they aren't actively fighting if the other divinities are trying to stop them from what they are doing, or seal them away it would be a natural and very childlike reaction to either lash out, OR to simply make more stuff in between the mg and those trying to stop their work.
Sure that makes sense, but the main factor in describing the... numerical power of the monster god is it takes time for their creations to grow. Time is a big factor really, and generally why dragons are so powerful to begin with because how old they get. Usually those city or mountain sized monsters don't just pop out of thin air, they take a long time to mature and grow. New gods would be no different.

Im not even saying monster god can pop out new gods on a whim, maybe there was another that helped in the process like the magic god you suggested. Even then, gods are able to think on their own so any opinions they have would be their own really. Really, monster god is only as powerful as the other gods allowed them to become if you think about it, and maybe why they decided to get involved in the first place in fear of them getting too strong and being unable to be controlled~ im guessing a lot of the other gods have this need to control aspects of the world, others, mortals, etc and the potential they saw in the MG could have scared them.
I get that it isn't love/hate.
But I also get that if the mg is actively creating monsters, and is strong enough to create deities of some degree or another, then even if bloodshed and battle isn't their modus operandi any family squabble is unlikely to be entirely peaceable. I say 'war' and I get that this is conflating the issue from the view of the mg and most gods.
If we go with the idea that the MG creates lots of things, and if the MG has favorites among its creations [because it doesnt care too much for the mortals as I earlier described, but it did like some of the creations like dragons], and if the MG had a hand to create the other gods and did it for 1= wanting to make a family and 2= other reasons it didnt explain to the others, then Id say the MG doesnt 'really' want its children to fight with each other. But yea its entirely possible the MG was largely inactive in whatever conflict was going on, and it was mostly a war between the gods that agreed with the MG and the gods that were afraid of it or whatever reason they had to turn on it. Its entirely possible the monster god only became "active" at the last stages of things, just to defend itself or to try and stop the other gods from fighting with each other.
If gods are arguing, or disagreeing that is likely to have unwanted, or even unintended effects on the world at large. Even if it never comes to blows.
Yup, thats sort of my suggestion for being maybe 'why' the world is the way it is :p

I'm an Architect